Moxie's One Year Check-in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Writer110

Moxie's One Year Check-in

Post by Writer110 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:13 am

After leaving NoS and flopping around to other diets (I don't know why) and becoming quite crazed (and gaining weight), I have returned :D. In looking back on times when I stuck to NoS I remember how at peace I was with food - not to mention I lost weight. And I felt great. So here goes try #10 or so!

This time around I will be doing just plain ol' Vanilla NoS with a few NWS days for good measure. I am not going to muck around with the program. I will also not muck around with my workouts and make them more complicated or demanding. My plan is good enough.

3 Non-sweet One Plate Meals on N-Days
Callanetics Monday-Friday before work (won't be recording here though)
Also going to measure my drinking as someone else does here (I'm afraid I can't remember who, I'm sorry, but thank you so much for the great idea!) just to take stock as:
0 drinks Success
2 or less Exempt
3 or more Failure

Today's weight: 120
Goal weight: 110

I will be recording this for one year.
Beginning 7/9/09

Writer110

Post by Writer110 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:31 am

Day 1
N Day: Success!
Alcohol: Exempt

B: coffee and 1/2&1/2
*This happens a lot with me. There are many, many times when I don't feel like breakfast will sit right with me so I skip it. I will have to play it day by day. Tomorrow I will probably have breakfast as I had an early dinner. We shall see...

L: 1/2 cheese sandwich
Baked Lays
*Interesting, when I was virtually plating this I thought I could eat the whole sandwich & chips but I decided to test it and see if it all fit on one plate- it didn't! So only 1/2 sandwich today. I think I'd prefer next time more sandwich less chips.

D: 1/2 huge rice & cheese burrito
*What I learned here is that I really do like to have a side- even if just a little as mentioned above. I felt deprived and like I wanted to eat the whole burrito (it did fit on one plate just was way too big). So next time maybe a few chips would help me to feel more satisfied and like a real "meal." I have always liked to eat one main thing and one little side.

Drinks: 2 glasses red wine

I am feeling rather puffy and heavy and very tempted to go on some crazy diet. But am trying to hold onto to the fact that that's what caused me to be here in the first place!

**Note: I think next Tuesday may have to be a NWS day. My company is holding an evening at Philharmonic in Central Park. I am not worried about sweets- more about the fact that it will be a lot of little apps. Will have to think about this.
Last edited by Writer110 on Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

Bushranger

Post by Bushranger » Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:58 am

Moxie28 wrote:I am feeling rather puffy and heavy and very tempted to go on some crazy diet. But am trying to hold onto to the fact that that's what caused me to be here in the first place!
Hang tough Moxie! As you've already realised, it's those crazy diets that lead to total burn out and mega binges that causes the yoyo effect in the first place. Be comforted in the undeniable fact that many past generations ate three sensible portioned meals and were lean and healthy.

Writer110

Post by Writer110 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:04 pm

Thank you Bushranger, I am really going to try to hold on to that fact. I also know that when I was in my 20's and at a very happy weight I ate whatever I wanted - but just only at meals. I was not a dieter at all. Of course being in my late 30's now things are little different but that is why I've raised my weight goal. Really no possible way to be as small as I was back then I think.

Bushranger

Post by Bushranger » Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:15 pm

Yep. It's those snacks that really make the difference. Whenever you reach for a snack mindlessly stop and actually mentally acknowledge you just went for a snack. Then the real kicker is to ask yourself "Am I hungry?" I have been surprised by the amount of times it was purely out of habit and "something to do" when I am bored or depressed or whatever.

Nail those 3 meals down and all the arguments about carbs and good and bad foods etc becomes quite trivial in comparison.

Writer110

Post by Writer110 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:27 pm

"Nail those 3 meals down and all the arguments about carbs and good and bad foods etc becomes quite trivial in comparison."

Those words really hit me. They are so true! Must remember that!

Writer110

Post by Writer110 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:37 am

Day 2
Alcohol: Exempt

B: Coffee & 1/2
Croissant
Cottage Cheese
Banana

L: 1/2 Cheese Sandwich
Pretzels

D: 1/2 Huge Burrito
2 Bud Lites

Today was an N Day but I have decided in the future to make Fridays & Saturdays my S Days. It just works much better with my schedule and I would prefer to have Sundays as an N Day.

A note about today- too much food. It seems that when I eat breakfast it really makes me feel heavy and too full all day. This is something I'll watch for as I move forward.

Yay! Tomorrow is S Day! :D

Writer110

Post by Writer110 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:57 am

Day 3
S Day: Success!
Alcohol: Technically Failure

Well, today I was a bit of an idiot with the food. The problem was I was really really tired and wanted a nap but feared it would interfere with my sleeping tonight. So instead I ate a lot -which now will probably interfere with my sleep not to mention not aid in my weight loss. So lesson learned- napping is a much better choice.

Had more than 2 drinks but spread out over a long period of time and I feel fine. So yes, technically a failure but relatively ok.

Writer110

Post by Writer110 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:40 am

Day 4
Alcohol: Technically Failure (similiar to yesterday, 3 beers but over a looooong time)

B: coffee & 1/2

L: 1 piece pizza
2 garlic rolls with marinara

D: 1 piece pizza
1 garlic roll with marinara

I like having Sunday as an N Day. Usually I just lay around and eat a lot of pizza- which I did today but broke it into meals which felt better. And I didn't have any sweets which I usually do because I have the Sunday-before-Monday blues. Still have them- but at least am not sick stuffed.

I read somewhere on the board where someone (I believe it was midtown) said 'I used to be afraid of being hungry but now I get hungry a lot & I like it because I visualize the hunger chomping away at the fat' (or something similar- I can't find the direct quote.) Anyway, I love that and am going to remember it. I am SO afraid of being hungry! So if midtown was the same way and now is not afraid- that is a big inspiration to me :D

**Edit to add- had another beer. But again, this was over 7 hours and included dinner so it didn't affect me much. Also, I buy beer that is half the alcohol & only 64 calories each. However, I have a lot of 'drinking events' coming up this week so my goal is to be Exempt for all.

midtownfg

Post by midtownfg » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:30 pm

Hi Moxie. I am very happy to be some inspiration for you. I understand your issues with alcohol too. I try to conquer that by not drinking before 6 pm. I know if I start drinking before then I will just continue until the night draws to a close. Drinking lite beer and spreading them out over hours is a good start though. Don't beat yourself up too much over that.

Writer110

Post by Writer110 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:38 am

Thank you Midtown. A lot of this week is going to be Failure when it comes to drinking because I have a lot of events- I would like to be able to moderate it a little better in the future but for now, as long as I'm not feeling "drunk" I am ok. I am really focusing on spacing things out and eating as well. Thanks again for the great idea!

Day 5
Alcohol: Failure

L: Deli sandwich
Macaroni salad, bit of pickle

D: sushi, roll, filet mignon (onions), salmon, salad, asparagus

Tonight's dinner was a little weird. I was having a work event so skipped the apps to just be able to make one full dinner plate. I did this- but then right after starting I found a big hair in my dinner. :x :shock: It really, really grossed me out. So I couldn't finish that plate, went back and got a roll and one piece of sushi, starting a new plate. Still was definitely a one plater though all in all. Got out of there right before everyone was getting too drunk and also hitting the dessert buffet so I feel pretty good!

Writer110

Post by Writer110 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:00 pm

Today will be a NWS day. My work is hosting Philharmonic in the Park and I'm not really sure what is going on with dinner. Will do my best to keep to one plate- but I don't think that is how it is going to be served, may be in stages. Instead of sweating it I'm going to just call it NWS. Besides dinner, will be N Day pretty much I think.

B:
Coffee & 1/2
1/2 bagel with lowfat cream cheese

L:
1/2 bagel with lowfat cream cheese
banana

Writer110

Post by Writer110 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:31 am

Ok so continuation of today:

Day 6; Tuesday, NWS: Success!
Alcohol: Technically Failure

So tonight was fine. Didn't really go overboard.

D: chips, crackers, cheese, cookies
Wine

Didn't feel too full nor too drunk so all is well. Came home with bagged dinner that was given by company so will use for lunch tomorrow- had brownie in it so will hold for Friday! :)

Writer110

Post by Writer110 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:41 pm

Day 7; Wednesday NDay

Checking in after lunch because I'm tempted to eat more even though I'm done. Going to write down my food and get out of the office!!!

B:
Coffee & 1/2
1/2 mozzarella, basil, tomato baguette sand (Yum!! I was so happy eating this, so happy not to be dieting :D )
pasta salad

L:
1 c. cottage cheese
2 granola bars
*I ended up having this after lunch so will call first meal breakfast. I always allow myself 3 meals a day no matter what, but most days I only need 2. Today is a 3 mealer :)

Writer110

Post by Writer110 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:14 pm

Last night was a Failure, not necessarily epic by any means but still.
Alcohol was Exempt

I started to get really really disheartened. I then began thinking about what worked for me in the past. When I was younger (hs & college) I suffered from a pretty severe eating disorder. What cured it for me (and I do mean cured, I went on for many, many years at a normal weight with no food issues at all. The only reason I am back with these problems is because a misguided doctor put me on a very restrictive diet for health reasons- which I believe now was unnecessary and damaging, it certainly didn't heal anything- I lost a lot of weight and began to think 100 pounds looked normal and therefore became once again obsessed with food, my body, dieting and bingeing) was to do 3 meals a day with no types of food restricted and recording these meals. So for now, in order for me to stick to my committment to doing this for one year I am going to make some modifications. I don't want to give up, I want to choose something I can do for the long haul.

So for now on, this is my plan:

*3 Meals a Day EVERY DAY (does not change for weekends) of Whatever I Want - Just Needs to be All in Front of Me Before I Begin Eating, No Snacks, No Seconds
*Will Not Force Myself to Eat if Truly Not Hungry at Meals (this happens sometimes for breakfast and occasionally for dinner- it really stresses me out to eat at these times & leads to overeating, so I will not do that anymore)

So that's it! Starting today :D I am excited and feeling better, more confident. I am not concerned so much with WHAT I am eating, for now I am more focused on getting a handle on HOW I'm eating.

Also, will no longer be looking at weight as goal. My goal is now in inches:

Hips: to lose 2 inches
Waist: to lose 2 inches
Thighs: to lose 1.5 inches

The scale just drives me insane and there never is any rhyme or reason to it it seems.

Writer110

Post by Writer110 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:39 am

Day 1: Thursday: Success!
Alchohol: Success

B: Coffee & 1/2
Croissant

pretzels

D: 1/2 rice & cheese burrito
chips

I am liking my new plan so far (found I did not want any sweets today so not an isssue) but this was WAY too much food for me. Yuck. Oh well, all part of the process I suppose :D

Writer110

Post by Writer110 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:51 pm

Ok, so again after thinking things over, I've come up with a final modification. I do like having a difference between NDays & SDays as I think it gives something to strive for, a sort of order and then 2 days to not have to think about anything at all. As I said, I'm not sure I'm ready to give up sweets during the week so I will be doing NoS but just with No Snacks and No Seconds for right now. So here is my plan:

NDays are Sunday-Thursday
SDays are Friday & Saturday
NDays consist of 3 Plates (or 2, will not force the issue on this) of a good & healthy meal with a sweet if necessary- but it must be on plate before I start eating. One cookie or something is fine but can't be an after thought. All must be present at one time, before the meal begins. No Snacks, No Seconds.

Tomorrow is Sunday and my first NDay so will begin tallying & checking in then. This is definitely something I can stick to and at this point that is the most important thing to me- to choose something and show myself that I can do it and have success long term. :D

Thalia

Post by Thalia » Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:37 pm

Moxie, putting it on the plate at the outset seems like a very mindful way to handle it!

Writer110

Post by Writer110 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:55 am

Day 1: Monday, NDAY: SUCCESS!
Alcohol: Success

croissant

chips

D: small bean & veg burrito
veg cassarole w/ cheese & salsa

I am feeling really proud :D I so wanted cookies or a beer or just something after dinner- but instead, since I'd decided I'd finished eating for the day (and I had none of those things in the house) I sat down with my roommate, watched tv and had a really nice night! I can't remember the last time I didn't overeat, graze, binge on sugar or at least have a glass of wine or something. Nothing! Feels good.

Thalia- it's interesting, since I've allowed myself the option of having a treat with meals it's just worked out that I haven't. I guess I'm working better with keeping in the mindset that I can have if I want it, which is preventing me from obsessing. So far, so good! Tonight I knew I could have something but was just too lazy. Usually I'm never too lazy to go get cookies!

Writer110

Post by Writer110 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:30 am

Day 2: Tuesday, NDay: SUCCESS!
Alcohol hasn't been much of an issue so will just record with meals- not any sort of success or failure. I like keeping this check-in just for NoS.

pretzels

D: crackers with cheese & salsa
2.5 beers

White-knuckle day but I did it :)

Writer110

Post by Writer110 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:52 am

I had a Sick day today and probably will for another few days. I also need to make some dietary changes for health reasons. As a result I'm going to pause in my check-ins and pick-up on Monday. Just need to get well. Also will be joining August challenge. See you all then!

Probably will just start new 21 day cycle...