princesspamf-daily check in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

princesspamf

princesspamf-daily check in

Post by princesspamf » Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:03 pm

Okay, I just found this site yesterday and it really resonated with me. Life is so full and too complicated to add another complicated system, hence I start out for a few days fine and then can't even remember it, much less keep it up. This I can remember! Since today is an exempt day, I will start my count tomorrow. A bit scary...I'm keeping Yoda as my cheerleader..."Do or do not. There is no try!"
Thanks, Reinhard, for your frank discussion-"I am the (wo)man."
It is a little scary to commit publicly, but as I have told my children, "It's okay to be scared."
Moving forward. Thanks to all who've posted. I feel "surrounded by a great cloud of witnesses."
Pam

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:48 pm

You go girl!
I guess this doesn't work unless you actually do it.
Please pray for me

la_loser

Welcome!

Post by la_loser » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:29 am

Yes--but the awesome news is that this great cloud of witnesses is the most supportive encouraging group you can imagine!
LA Loser. . . well on my way to becoming an LA Winner. :lol:

princesspamf

cloud of witnesses

Post by princesspamf » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:46 am

I'm counting on the support of everyone on the site. I've spent several hours today reading and thinking. It's been good and encouraging. I'm looking forward to what the week holds as a NoS'er!
Thanks reneew and LA_Loser for your support. I feel it!
Pam

mimi

Post by mimi » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:01 am

I'm counting on the support of everyone on the site.
You've got it!!

Mimi :D
Discovered NoS: April 16, 2007
Restarted once again: July 14, 2011
Quitting is not an option...
If you start to slip, tie a knot and hang on!
Remember that good enough is... good enough.
Strive for progress, not perfection!

princesspamf

Day 1 - Success!

Post by princesspamf » Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:22 am

Okay,

Day 1 was a great success!

I actually started keeping track yesterday, but it was an S day so I'm counting my 21 days from today. (Do I include the upcoming S days in the count or 21 NoS days?)

I've made a paper excel copy of the habitcal and adapted it for me...I divided up the three NoS so I can track each one individually...both positively and negatively. I added a weight workout on M, W, and F; walking or biking or aerobic 20 min+ every day and I even added my Bible reading; so my chart has 6 rows. It was very satisfying to color in the two green boxes yesterday for walking and Bible reading and extremely satisfying to fill the whole column in this evening. I like accountability and having something tangible. The Habitcal is a fantastic tool. (Yesterday I thought about how I might adapt it for an area of work that snags me up).

But beyond the organization of it, I really felt very free. I confess to making sure my dinner plate was really full (didn't eat all I took). It was mentally freeing not to be worrying about the head full of stuff from previous diet and nutrition knowledge. I just purposely let it go. Very relaxing and totally made up for the lack of sweets and snacking and seconds...once today, I thought...yikes, no more popcorn with a book in the afternoons and then thought, well Sunday afternoon would work. I really appreciate not having to be constantly making a decision.

Tomorrow will be my first real test as I'm eating supper with a group of ladies...I'm sure there will be desert, but I'm already thinking about what to say and to say it in a positive way.

I've been weighing myself on Tuesdays, so tomorrow will be my first recorded weight. But weight aside, the no snacking, no seconds, no sweets M-F makes such good sense. It goes along with our trying to eat healthily, locally and in season. Already, on the first day, I enjoyed my meals more.

Off to bed. Getting to bed earlier is also a goal of mine. Reading through the posts it sounds like it is important to others also. The success in the eating area today makes me want to be successful in everything else. It really is my choice...and I choose to succeed! Thanks to Reinhard and everyone who has shared their journey through the posts. Good night.
Do or do not. There is not "try". ~Yoda in:
The Empire Strikes Back

Pamela

Welcome!

Post by Pamela » Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:27 pm

I just had to respond to another PAM!! There just aren't that many of us out there!

I heard about the plan on the radio last week -- funny how we find what we need when we keep our eyes (and ears) open -- so I'm also a beginner.

You described that feeling of freedom very nicely; I agree.

Enjoy your dinner with the ladies tonight! You're smart to plan ahead for how to handle dessert -- here's an idea: when it's offered simply say, "Thank you, but I'm just too full right now to enjoy it." If you're out on a Friday, you might even ask to take some home for later and then enjoy it the next day.

Good luck, PrincessPam!
(LOVE the Yoda quote!)
Hopeful and grateful,
Pamela

princesspamf

Day 2 - Success!

Post by princesspamf » Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:26 am

Today was a successful day...green all the way through! Very satisfying to color in those squares.

Went to my ladies dinner...got bold enough to share what I've started and they were very supportive. We had eaten dinner and I think folks were feeling awkward about getting out dessert, so I got it out and served it up. Really diffused the moment. It looked great and I would have happily eaten some in the past, but I really didn't miss it. Having set my mind, instead of having to waffle and weigh out the decision, made it easy. It was a bit hard not to take seconds as things were passed around, but I do enjoy not feeling stuffed...don't know why I haven't valued it more over the years.

I will admit to filling my lunch plate generously, and again had a bit too much (ate it anyway this time), but it was within the parameters, so I can hopefully learn from it and let it go.

Wonder why I'm so worried that I won't have enough to eat?

I did wake up at 4:30 this morning with a head ache, but it went away once I was up and eating breakfast. It's tempting to add a small 100 calorie type protein snack before bed (I'm very Zone in my thinking), but I think I will take Reinhard's advice to not modify in the first 21 days and give it a chance. My poor body is used to spending lots of time over full, so it probably doesn't know what to do with the free time! Hopefully it will figure it out.

Even though it is summer, a cup of tea --Earl Grey, hot-- (decaf, of course) might be just the ticket before bed.

Off to a shower and early bed and a book. It was 104 today here in the Central Valley...going to be hotter tomorrow. Yikes! Better walk/bike first thing in the morning.
Pam
The Empire Strikes Back

princesspamf

Day 3- success with NoS

Post by princesspamf » Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:44 pm

Yesterday, Day 3 was a successful NoS day!

And successful with my 20 min. biking/walking and my scripture reading. However, it was my day for weight training and I lost my time slot in the morning and just didn't make it a priority before our overnight company arrived in early evening. So a Failure with it...my nice green and yellow chart now has a red box.

So...I was thinking about how to make it up...how to redeem myself...and started devising plans in my mind and finally made myself stop! I really want to embrace the succeed and fail part of this program and train myself to make these changes true habits. So I am accepting my red block...still wanting to get three sessions in this week, but that doesn't change the fact that I put it off yesterday. No one died. I didn't spend the day in the hospital. The truth is I allowed it to take a lower priority. It was a failure on MY part--I take responsibility for it. I may fit in the third session later in the week, but that does not change the fact of failure yesterday.

But now yesterday is gone...over...and today is a new day and I have choices to make today. And I'm choosing to succeed. With company it will be harder to get my walking/biking in, but I will.

I was awake again a lot last night...hard to get to sleep...small headache this morning. Don't know if it is NoS diet related or not. Just going to live with it for the 21 days rather than modify.

Supposed to be 106 here today! I plan to stay in and cool! Might have to do the walking DVD and stay inside.

Refusing to feel discouraged,
Pam
The Empire Strikes Back

princesspamf

Days 4-5 SUCCESS!

Post by princesspamf » Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:07 am

Yeah! Days 4-5 are SUCCESS all the way down my chart!!!

I'm a living testimony that you can shop at Costco and NOT eat the samples! Didn't even look longingly at what I was "missing."
For lunch I was at a Mexican restaurant with our company and I took a serving of chips and only ate those with my smaller plate of food...and I felt fine about it!

Didn't get to my walk tonight until about 9:30, but I did it--88 degrees out! On the last block home I was thinking about this new way of eating and remembered that tomorrow is an S day. At this moment I'm not feeling like pigging out and I'm hoping the success of the week will keep me in the realms of moderation, but we shall see and I'll report back.

I think the lack of sugar in my diet this week has been a real positive in how I am feeling physically. I don't want to loose that good healthy feeling by binging out on Sat/Sun.

Happy S days to everyone else. Mine are already filled in yellow in my chart. What freedom...not to abuse with overeating, but freedom from guilt and struggle and hating myself.

Do I count the S days in my 21 days? Or keep the count to the NoS days? What have any of the rest of you done?

Pam
The Empire Strikes Back

tarantinofan

Re: Day 3- success with NoS

Post by tarantinofan » Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:10 am

Hey Pam, welcome! I am just finishing my third week. It's so nice to have such great support. I just wanted to respond to a few things that you said:

"But now yesterday is gone...over...and today is a new day and I have choices to make today. And I'm choosing to succeed."

That is BEAUTIFUL! I really must keep that in mind. I'm having trouble refraining from beating myself up about red days/failures. I need to stop making excuses and just let myself succeed!! Arggghh I'm still waiting for my first all-green week.

"I was awake again a lot last night...hard to get to sleep...small headache this morning. Don't know if it is NoS diet related or not. Just going to live with it for the 21 days rather than modify."

I also suffered a lot with headaches and sleep difficulty when I started No S. These issues are starting to diminish, but only if I make sure to have enough calories in my meals. Perhaps you're not putting enough on your plate to sustain yourself...Try weighing yourself to gage if it's a huge caloric deficit that's leading to these symptoms.

Anyway, best of luck with your weight loss journey!

la_loser

21 days = 21 calendar days--Yes!

Post by la_loser » Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:46 pm

Good luck to both of you. . .and yes, you DO count your S days in your 21 days. It's basically that with three weeks of compliance, you've gone a long way toward building the habit. . . not to say that there won't be slip ups along the way, but when you follow the rules more often than not, it really does become more automatic!
LA Loser. . . well on my way to becoming an LA Winner. :lol:

princesspamf

My first S days- Days 6 & 7

Post by princesspamf » Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:46 pm

Days 6 & 7 went fine.
On Saturday: I enjoyed being free to taste the cream cheese icing that my friend was making...and I had an iced cupcake for dessert for lunch and some homemade ice cream for dessert for supper at a family gathering along with a second piece of corn on the cob. Other than the added dessert, I really ate fine...

On Sunday: I did great. I was at a wedding reception and ate about half of a small piece of cake and decided I didn't really want the rest. In the late evening, I thought, "Okay this is your last chance for a week"...so I had my favorite candy bar and some popcorn and read a good books for an hour. Very nice. No guilt. Very freeing. Didn't even eat all the popcorn I thought I would.

So now I'm beginning day 8--a NoS day. My visiting son is baking cookies; It's my birthday, so I could indulge, but I'd really rather get back to my NoS. We're going to a Chinese restaurant tonight and I've been thinking about how to plan my single plate since we eat in courses, but I know moderation is the key and I think I can still stick to the NoS plan. I want to.

Hotter than blue blazes here, so I'm a bit out of sorts. My task for the day is to stick to my commitment.

Blessings to all,
Pam
The Empire Strikes Back

princesspamf

Day 8--My birthday

Post by princesspamf » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:25 am

Well I guess I will take today as an S day. I thought I could keep to the NoS, but I've discovered that the Chinese Restaurant may be a one plate downfall...I suppose I could have gotten it all on one large plate...maybe...but then they brought out ice cream and little custard tarts (with candles for my birthday), so I had a couple of spoonfuls of ice cream, a fortune cookie and a custard tart--finger food size.

I did well, eating wise, so I'm just going to take the S day for my birthday and let it go...at least I'm going to try. I'm a little frustrated with my family-especially my husband-but I need to let that go, also.

Tomorrow is my weekly weigh in day. I don't want the S days to derail me from the success last week of the NoS days.

Pam
The Empire Strikes Back

princesspamf

Day 9 Success!

Post by princesspamf » Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:20 pm

Day 9 - SUCCESS!
Yesterday went well. Really not tempted to stray.
I know I'm eating more at each meal than I really should...sticking to one plate, but a full one...but I am really wanting to get my habits established.
And I'm doing my scripture reading and 20 min. walk/bike every day consistently.
Feeling charged for another day.
Pam
The Empire Strikes Back

princesspamf

Day 10--Success

Post by princesspamf » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:54 am

I'm not quite headed for bed, so I suppose there's a chance that I could blow it, but I don't think so!!

Day 10 has been a successful day all around...NoS was great in all three areas. Was out to dinner at a Thai restaurant tonight and ate totally appropriately and one plate's worth. No sweets has been the easiest of the three for me. I remembered to add just a few dry roasted nuts to my lunch plate and kind of ate them slowly at the end of lunch, so don't feel snack deprived...it's going great!

I have three other areas on Wednesdays...my Bible/Devotion time, walking or biking 20+ minutes, and 15+ minutes of strength training. I got them all done first thing this morning which really freed up my day and my mind!

I know I ate a little heavy for lunch, but it's so much better than before the NoS life, I'm just going to let it find its own leveling point while I work my first 21 days out.
The Empire Strikes Back

princesspamf

Day 11--Failure on Seconds!

Post by princesspamf » Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:33 pm

Rats! I am using the habitcal in printed format and have separated the NoS into the three areas. Yesterday was a failure on the No Seconds! Not a big failure, but a failure none-the-less. Otherwise I did great--No Sweets, No Snacks and positive on the other three areas I'm tracking.

The bummer of it is I talked myself into it...those old voices...I was at a potluck picnic BBQ...Had a nice plate of fruit, salad, veggies plus a BBQ chicken thigh and three small lumpia (kind of a very thin Phillipino eggroll type thing, but with a meat filling and a sweet/hot sauce). I ended up with some sauce left and went back and got two more lumpia plus some more tomatoes and some sliced plums. Dog-gone-it! I knew better. I easily passed up the candy and the cake and ice cream! Ah well...better next time. And that was after a lunch out at a pizza buffet, where I had a nice salad and took several thin slices of pizza and was able to say, okay, that's your plate. It was good and it was enough, but partly because I made it be enough and knew going back wasn't an option. In the past I have made two or even three trips back for more pizza till I felt stuffed.

Here's a eureka moment! "Till I feel stuffed..." That is what the NoS is training me about...to accept that one plate is enough as opposed to relying on feeling stuffed to think that I've had enough. Several times over the last couple of weeks I've thought, as I finished my plate...that isn't enough, I'm going to be hungry...but I never have been. What a lie I've listened to all these years in my head!

So I am doing better...down about 5 lbs. and feeling it in my clothes.

Now comes the real test! For days 12-18 I'm going to be up in the high Sierra cooking for a church family camp--about 100. I will keep paper track and then post the results here when I get back. I might get to internet service on Tuesday, but not for sure. Will be interesting to see how it goes!

I'm soon off! Keep the journey happy everyone! We have tons to be thankful for!
Pam
The Empire Strikes Back

masher

Re: Day 11--Failure on Seconds!

Post by masher » Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:58 pm

Several times over the last couple of weeks I've thought, as I finished my plate...that isn't enough, I'm going to be hungry...but I never have been. What a lie I've listened to all these years in my head!

So I am doing better...down about 5 lbs. and feeling it in my clothes.

Oh I agree - at first one plate does not look like nearly enough! Yet, somehow it is. And just having one plate becomes automatic. No need to listen to those worrisome voices!

Failure on seconds - I am sure that you have marked it and moved on. Huge congratulations on your weight loss.

Masher

princesspamf

Days 12 - 20 Back from cooking at camp!

Post by princesspamf » Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:56 pm

Home from cooking at camp for a week (for 110 on the weekend and about 70 for the week after--and yes, I had help). Actually been home a couple of days, but trying to catch up with my life. You’ll see below my report of success and failures; most of my failure was exercise related—I worked in the kitchen from 6:30 am until after snack at 9 p.m. with very little time off. So I know I got in lots of steps, but I don’t want to count it as exercise since I’m wanting to establish the daily exercise habit.

Won’t know my weight results until Tuesday, my weekly weigh in day, but my clothes feel fine, so not really worried about it.

So here’s my daily report:

Day 12 NoS Complete Success; Failure with weights & walking; Success with Scripture/Devotions
Day 13 NoS Exempt; Weights exempt; Failure walking; Success with Scripture/Devotions
Day 14 NoS Exempt; Weights exempt; Failure walking and with Scripture/Devotions
Day 15 NoS Complete Success; Failure with weights, walking and Scripture/Devotions
Day 16 NoSnacks and No Seconds Success; Failure with No Sweets; Weights-Exempt; Failure with walking and Scripture/Devotions
Day 17 This was my worst day. Used being exhausted as excuse to drop out! NoS Failure except for success with no seconds; Failure with weights & walking; Success with Scripture/Devotions…I did get back on track here, so that was good.
Day 18 Decided I needed to take myself in hand a bit, so NoS Complete Success!! Weights-Exempt; Failure with walking; Success with Scripture/Devotions
Day 19 NoS Complete Success!! Failure with weights, but Success with walking and Scripture/Devotions
Day 20 NoS and Weights Exempt; Success in walking and Scripture/Devotions

When I look at my Habitcal, the NoS was pretty good…it’s the other stuff that shows lots of red. So I’m feeling like I was able to take my eating commitments and stay focused away from home, but the other things didn’t go so well.

But I’m home now and don’t have any going away plans until November, so having a few more months to get the habits established should help.

And I talked to folks about what I was doing…several people seemed interested and my sister-in-law started right in…really liked the idea.

I’m just as excited as ever with the whole idea…and will keep plugging away. I’ve started keeping the Habitcal on line as well as on paper.
The Empire Strikes Back

princesspamf

Day 21 Success!

Post by princesspamf » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:19 pm

Yesterday was Day 21 NoS and Weights Exempt; Success in walking and Scripture/Devotions

I had a new-to-me experience last evening. I was going to do some late shopping and decided that I would have a milkshake for supper from Jack In The Box--had a half off coupon. So when I went to order, I ordered the large...and, wonder of wonders, I didn't finish it!! About 3/4 of the way through it, I thought. "Wow, this is a lot. I don't really even want the rest...the enjoyment of it is over." So I didn't finish it!! A very unusual experience for me! Very freeing. I thought about not having anything else sweet until next weekend, so maybe I better scarf it down guilt free while I can, but even that didn't convince me to finish it!

So now it is today, Monday, and I'm not regretting it!

Pam
The Empire Strikes Back

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:42 pm

Congratulations!!! You're doing great!
I guess this doesn't work unless you actually do it.
Please pray for me

princesspamf

Day 22- A GREAT SUCCESS!

Post by princesspamf » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:31 am

I wondered if today would be a bit of a battle...having had a indulgent weekend...not awful, but still indulgent. I struggled...made my one plate really full, but I made it through!! And the fullness was the wonderful tastes of summer...fresh tomatoes and cantaloupe and peaches. Glorious! I really enjoyed them all--every bite! But I stuck to one plate, no sweets and no snacks! PTL!

So...Day 22 SUCCESS in all three areas of NoS; And SUCCESS in the three other areas I'm tracking: weights, walking, and scripture/devotions.

Thanks for the encouragement, Renee! It is nice to feel celebrated!

Pam
The Empire Strikes Back

princesspamf

Day 23 Report-Tuesday, Aug. 4

Post by princesspamf » Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:13 am

Day 23 was a NoS success! Weights were exempt and I got a green on my scripture/devotion time. However, I did not do my 20 min walk/bike. Just ran out of steam and didn't get it done.

I weighed on Tuesday...had been two weeks and had lost 7 pounds! It will be interesting to see if I hold on to that loss. When I'm cooking at camp, I really don't eat very much, so it was an unusually low cal week. But I'm glad for it...my clothes fit much nicer. They had gotten pretty snug with the last loss/gain cycle.

Today has been pretty good, but I will be having dessert for supper. We are having company for dinner and before I could suggest she bring a salad, she offered to bring a "great" dessert. I will be giving myself a red block on NoSweets for today. But otherwise, I eaten well and right on the NoS plan.
The Empire Strikes Back

princesspamf

Day 24--A mixed bag!

Post by princesspamf » Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:14 am

So, my company was coming for dinner and they told me earlier in the week that they would be bringing dessert. They arrived and, voila, a beautiful bowl of fresh peaches and strawberries (no sugar) plus sliced almonds and a little bit of coconut with mint leaves on top. M. said apologetically, "We have all this fruit and I didn't know if maybe anyone was diabetic... " I assured her it was wonderful and much appreciated--and then told her about NoS!

I had decided earlier that I would not blow the day on sweets just because I was anticipating having dessert at dinner, so I am thrilled to say "Success" on NoSweets and Success on NoSnacks. However, here comes the true confession...we had BBQ'd chicken thighs (and veggie kabobs) and I took a second thigh without even thinking!! I was half way through it before it occurred to me that I had taken seconds. So much for my ingrained habit! Of course, we were eating in the back yard...out of my usual eating habitat (notice how quickly the excuses pop up?)...but, did I quietly finish my chicken and repent. No! I decided, "Well I guess I'm having seconds, and took 1/2 of another roll and more of the fruit. So I get a bright RED FAILURE on NoSeconds! Dog-gone-it...with just a little thought and presence of mind, it could have been the gift of three straight green blocks!

I do get green blocks on weights and scripture/devotions, but "somehow" I avoided walking/biking again today, so was a FAILURE there. But I'm going to bike to the Farmer's Market in the morning...2 miles away, so will start the day on a positive exercise note.

My glands are just a little swollen and achy tonight. Hope I'm not starting a cold or major allergy upset.

I'm happy to say the evening is almost cool and nice and breezy, which is not our typical Central Valley California weather. I will need a blanket to snuggle under tonight. Good night everyone!
The Empire Strikes Back

princesspamf

Day 26 NoS Success!

Post by princesspamf » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:51 pm

NoS was a Success in all three areas! I'm really feeling in the groove with it. Again went to Costco and skipped the food samples and honestly didn't miss them!

Weights were exempt.
Scripture/Devotions were Green.
Walking/Biking--my Farmer's Market plans got rearranged and I just never made it a priority to get out there. I'm simply not getting it done this week. Bummer!
The Empire Strikes Back

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:40 pm

Pam,

Just popped in to say, "You're doing great!" I know I must look like the newcomer on the block, but I've actually been doing No-S for about a year. I'm back after a break from being on the forum. I've had my ups & downs, but overall it's been a life-changing program. As I read your check-in I just couldn't help but come in to cheer you on. You may see that red mark on your calendar, BUT...look at all the green! I think we're conditioned by all the diet plans out there to think that we're failures if we "blow it". I don't know about you, but one failure on a diet was always enough to make me just keep rolling down the hill toward a complete & total failure. This is such a different journey! You had a red. Oh well...you also had over three weeks of green & yellow!

Someone on this forum once wrote that what we're actually doing is learning is how to maintain our weight first so that when we're at our goal, keeping it off will be so much more successful. Whenever I have a "bad" day, I try to remember this and know that every time I pick myself up, brush off the crumbs and keep moving forward, I'm developing skills that will last my whole life.

Sorry...I guess I got a bit carried away...but I always do! :lol:

Hang in there Pam...you really are doing so well!

Janie
Nothing worthwhile is ever easy...

Pamela

More Celebrating!!

Post by Pamela » Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:43 pm

Hi Pam!

Thought I'd check in at "your place" and I'm glad I did. I've enjoyed reading about your journey, and am very grateful that we jumped on this train at about the same time. I see so much of my own journey in yours!!

I have had some of the same "not worth it, don't want it" feelings during my S days, that you describe with your Jack-in-the-Box shake. Ultimately, when I'm on track I'm eating less and enjoying more! I'm becoming more selective, more discerning, and that is ultimately making it easier to say "no." I'm continually realizing how much mindless eating I have done in the past!

Now I generally eat two good meals a day and add a bowl of cereal or something small like that at the end of the day if I find myself hungry, and I am more satisfied that when I would graze all day.

I admire your ability to track realistically, call a spade a spade and move on. You show that a red square doesn't have to mean a red day, and a red day doesn't have to mean a red week. Even with our moments of whirling dervishes and extra grilled chicken thighs we're collecting more positive moments than negative ones and our tracking helps us see that.

Enjoy your day Fellow-Pam! You are in my thoughts and prayers!
Hopeful and grateful,
Pamela

princesspamf

What a mess!

Post by princesspamf » Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:15 pm

Well it was my turn, I guess.

Friday I did really well until our dinner company came...then I snacked, ate seconds and dessert (I hadn't made any...was just going to serve fruit...and guests brought some! No one forced my hand...I did it all by myself...kind of an "in for an inch, in for a mile thing!" Stupid diet thinking! Dog-gone-it!)

Didn't do my devotions Saturday morning, which I'm sure set the theme for the day. Even though it was exempt, I overdid more in every area than I have the whole 4 weeks I've been doing this. A family reunion picnic on Saturday and a church BBQ picnic on Sunday. But in between and all around, I ate. I need to spend a little time thinking about what was going on in my head that I felt the need to keep feeding...and on stuff I didn't want or care about. Rats!

I did bike for half an hour yesterday, so happily colored in that square green.

Janie, I so appreciated your words and you are right--this is such a different journey than I have ever been on before. I am so committed to the journey. I actually talk about it with people, which I have pretty much never done with the zillions of diets I've tried. I hadn't thought about the "learning maintenance" connection, but that rings very true. I want to eat this way for life...it's a good and earth/body responsible way of eating. The clarity of it makes my choices straightforward and I appreciate that. And you are right. The green overwhelms the red. Thanks for your encouragement!!

So a new week of NoS begins and I'm here ready to go forward.
Pam (canning peaches today)
The Empire Strikes Back

princesspamf

Monday Success

Post by princesspamf » Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:57 am

Today I felt like I got back on the right track! A successful NoS eating day, plus weights and scripture/devotions. I spent the day canning peaches, and it is was still very hot this evening, so between the two I talked myself out of walking. But that's just the way the day went...and I'll take my red square and not worry much about it.

I ate full plates at both lunch and supper, but made some good choices. Tomorrow is my weighing day and I'm sure I've gained a pound or two after the weekend, but onward I go.

Pamela, I appreciate your thoughts and prayers. Our minds seem to be thinking a lot of the same things. Wonderful validation to hear it from someone else. That whirling dervish really messed with me this past weekend. I was not prepared for it...and that really was my whole problem. I had not prepared my mind for the various eating events of the weekend, and I do not do choose well on spur of the moment choices.

I start back to work tomorrow and I am preparing my mind now to deal with the snacking that goes on...especially in meetings...people bring "treats" and healthy stuff, also, but again it is a barrage of snacks. I think I need to be very up front--the staff will be supportive if I am willing to give them the opportunity. A bit scary. I was thinking about simply saying "I'd love to, but I'm working hard at not doing any snacking between meals." Then if pressed to take something, I could say, "Thanks. I'll save it to have with my lunch." And a similar pattern for sweet stuff. I just know I need to go in prepared or I will get up against a wall and cave. And I don't want to!

So, onward to tomorrow!
Pam
The Empire Strikes Back

buttercreampillow

Post by buttercreampillow » Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:30 am

Pam, you must be a teacher, to be starting back to work in August. Good luck with your year.

One thing I have noticed is that people who are naturally thin have a very casual attitude about being offered food they don't want. They just say, "No, thanks, I'm not hungry." They don't feel a need to explain, excuse or agonize about other people's feelings. They just say it and forget it. If they are pressed, they just repeat, "No, thanks." I've learned this from my teenage sons, who are naturally thin and only eat when THEY feel like it, not like me, a bottomless pit for whom eating and being offered food creates a miasma of emotions and leaves me unable to respond to food naturally.

Your thread is so interesting--thanks for the inspiration!

buttercreampillow
Natural Eater

Pamela

S Days

Post by Pamela » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:09 pm

Hi Pam!

My first weekend I had that "off the rails" feeling ... the following Monday I marked Saturday and Sunday red and came here to post how I'd lost my handle on the thing. That week I was given wonderful advice by the kind, generous souls here ... S Days can never EVER be red days. It's true in the literal in that they should never be marked red, but I propose to you that it's also true figuratively ...

We should never judge our S days in any way ... they are, by definition, EXEMPT. I'm learning that there are reasons for that.

When I marked my S days as red, I was continuing to carry around what I considered a "Failure;" but it was an old message of failure ... all or nothing, I'm weak, I can't let go of food, etc.. By taking the advice of the wise souls around here and replacing that red with the yellow, I was able to completely let go. Now I keep my S days yellow and let the contrast of them serve its purpose ... to be the pressure valve that let's me be on track during the week; to be the stark, vivid example of how I've been making choices and how futile and empty those choices are in the end; to be able to pick out and see more clearly old messsages; to put new habits into practice and see their truth outside of the context of trying to be "green" all day or all week.

I've marked more than a few legitimate red boxes in these first few weeks, and those red spots have done what they're supposed to ... STOP! WAKE UP!! But S days are different ...

If you are involved in education (which was my thought, too, when I read your posting) look at it this way ... You've assigned an essay and you tell your students that the essay will be due in a week, however you want to see a rough draft in two days. Now, the little darlings work diligently toward their ulitmate goal and prepare their early draft for you to look over. Would you, at this point, take a look at all those spelling and grammatical errors, wrong use of "they're" and "their," switching from third person past tense to first person present tense, poor paragraph construction and inappropriately colloquial language pull out the BIG RED PEN and mark F?

Of course not. (At least I sure hope not!)

You'd read the essays over with them, help them see their errors and say "Good start! Now clean it up!" The rough draft was never meant to be perfect ... it's a work in progress. So are we.

S days are our rough draft ... look thm over, mark your changes and get on with polishing the thing up for real during the week.

But on and on I've blathered ... have a great day, Pam!
Hopeful and grateful,
Pamela

princesspamf

NoS SUCCESS! Other Areas--FAILURE (mostly)

Post by princesspamf » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:53 pm

Yes, I'm a teacher. I work in a California charter school working with homeschooling families. I went back to work last Tuesday and haven't had a free moment since--until today! Whew.

In the midst of all the craziness, I have been very thankful that I started the NoS way of eating 5 weeks ago. In the past years (this is starting my 13th year with the charter school) I got through this busy first couple of weeks by soothing my stress with food. That has not happened.

Last week was a complete SUCCESS with NoS and even on Saturday, being busy catching up around home, it never occurred to me to comfort myself with food! And I'm sure that is totally due to these new habits that are forming inside me.

That makes me think that the comforting with food that I have done in the past really fits into the NoS categories--(loads of)sweets, (constant)snacks, and (huge)seconds. That's not to say that my single plates are currently models of losing weight foods and portions, however, just by setting those three boundaries around my eating has made a tremendous difference! I've lost some pounds and I've quit biting my fingernails! But way more important is this new relationship I'm developing with food. It's so exciting to me! It really is, literally, changing my life!

So..reporting in for Week 5--complete success
plus success for Monday and Tuesday of this week 6--complete success.

Now...about the other areas I'm working...yikes...but I've got to get back to work, so will save that discussion for another free moment!

Pam
The Empire Strikes Back

princesspamf

Week Six

Post by princesspamf » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:26 am

Well, NoS was pretty much a success this week. On Thursday I had seconds for lunch and then again for supper. Definitely the old "diet head speak" reigning in my mind. Felt like I was able to let it go and do well again on Friday.

However I haven't handled this weekend very well. Over eaten and snacked...struggling emotionally on other levels and letting food take over. I'm planning on taking a nice long shower and letting it all drain away and starting fresh. It has been a hard weekend and I need to think about ways to avoid the emotional pitfalls that seem to be all around me.

On the exercise hand, I did my biking/walking four out of 7 days which is a great improvement. I really enjoy the biking and need to keep it up. Weights once out of three and my scripture and devotions 4 out of 7. So a mixed bag...wondering if the struggle with my quiet time affects the weekend...I'm sure it does.

Another thing I've thought about is that this week I had a lot of diet soda. I had not been drinking it and somehow it has slipped back into my life. I need to kick it out again!

But I'm off to the shower and tomorrow is a new day. I'm glad to be getting back to the NoS. It's a boundary I've come to actually enjoy. I feel better and spend so little time thinking about food, which is still a new concept for me.

Keep me in your thoughts and prayers. I especially feel the need of them.
Pam
The Empire Strikes Back

princesspamf

Week Seven --Success

Post by princesspamf » Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:28 am

Just barely...several times I leaned on the fence as far as I could (to use an old farmer and his cows analogy). But the fence held and somehow I got through. Last weekend was such an emotional downer for me that I knew I would have to take myself in hand and simply make myself move forward...even thought I thought I couldn't. And I did, by the Lord's gracious help.

A few times my plate was really full. That seems to be the hardest thing for me. I've really gotten into the habit of not snacking and no sweets. I went into See's Candies to buy a gift card for my son and of course, they always give you a sample or two. I put mine in my purse, carefully transferred it to a baggie and tucked it away in the fridge until this morning...when I ate it with my breakfast. Wouldn't of dreamed of eating it on Wednesday! But I do fill those plates!

I've been bike riding and swimming laps this week, so plenty of exercise...and sore muscles to prove it...but very refreshing. I very seldom have pool access so especially enjoyed that.

So here I am...feeling really good about this new way of eating. I've lost a little more than 10 lbs. and have been more consistently exercising. Dare I say I'm in for life? I've never done anything food wise this consistent for this long. I've got my September HabitCal (I use the table version) ready to go with my yellows filled in and all that white space just waiting for my green colored pencil!

Blessings to all out there in cyberspace.
Pam
The Empire Strikes Back

princesspamf

Week Eight-Success, by the skin of my teeth

Post by princesspamf » Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:02 am

I don't know where that idiom came from, but it is 10:55 p.m. and I'm coloring in my greens and going to bed. If I don't I'm going to wait until one minute after midnight and eat the chocolate I bought on Wednesday to save for Saturday.

Today has been really hard! Very tempted to just give in and eat. However, I know that the root of the problem is stress from a totally different direction and I need to work at that...eating won't solve that problem and will just make me more miserable in the end. I'm writing all this down tonight in hopes that it will help me have a good and positive couple of S days...not binge days.

I haven't exercised for a couple of days and I'm sure that is affecting my mood also. Hopefully I can pull myself together and face tomorrow in better spirits.

I'm looking forward to the 3 day weekend...lots to do, but at my own pace.

Pam
The Empire Strikes Back

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:30 am

Hi Pam,

I just popped in to encourage you..hopefully I can. I KNOW this feeling of being tempted to just give in and eat. It's awful, isn't it? But you CAN do this...you really can. You've lost more than 2 bags of flour...TWO...TWO BAGS of flour. Try picking those up and carrying them around for a day or two and it will remind you that you've already accomplished a lot.

I don't know about you, but whenever I take my eyes off my daily goal....of just eating right TODAY, then I get discouraged. I tell myself, "Well, you've dieted a gazillion times and you've NEVER succeeded so why keep trying?" And of my favorites is: "This will never work anyway. It works for other people, but not for you....so go ahead & eat...it won't matter anyway." I'm sure you have your own statements that run around in your brain. BUT, we CAN do this. We CAN beat this. We can prove ourselves wrong! So hang in there Pam. Just do one day at a time...just one more green day...just one. If you can hang in there just one more day you can work on the next one after that.

I don't know if this helps...I hope so. You can do this...

janie
P.S. I just read that you work with homeschoolers! Too bad you're in CA, I can always use help. I've homeschooled forever...our oldest just left for his first year of college and I have three more to go. My two other boys are 16 and 14 and our girl is 4. I don't even want to count how many years of homeschooling that adds up to! LOL....
Nothing worthwhile is ever easy...

princesspamf

Weekend Report

Post by princesspamf » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:17 am

Thanks, Janie, for your encouraging words. I appreciated the thoughts, especially about focusing on TODAY. It is so easy to use yesterday or tomorrow to get in the way of doing what I need to do today. In Sunday's sermon, the pastor quoted Calvin Coolidge as saying, "We can not do everything at once, but we can do something at once." Another good reminder to focus on the present and making the right choices now.

After all my struggles of Friday, Saturday and Sunday actually went pretty well. No big splurges, but had a little chocolate...decided it wasn't that great and gave the rest away. Had a molasses cookie Sunday afternoon and a root beer float Sunday evening that was totally delightful.

And now I'm back to Monday and started week 9 with nice green squares in everything I'm tracking! It was nice to have the day off work today. I got lots of little odds and ends accomplished.

Have a wonderful week...no, don't let it just happen, MAKE it a wonderful week!
Blessings,
Pam
The Empire Strikes Back

Pamela

Thanks, Pam!

Post by Pamela » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:28 pm

Just jotted you a note after your post at my check-in, but I wanted to check in here, too!

Thank you, Pam. I mean that most sincerely. Your insight and kindness are truly a gift!

Hanging in there!
Hopeful and grateful,
Pamela

princesspamf

Week 9 Report

Post by princesspamf » Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:42 pm

Week 9 went fine...all green until Friday evening, when we had company and I had dessert.

I don't know if that was the trip wire, but the whole weekend was hard...ate too much, snacked too much, ate too many sweets....

I had been thrown off my "best laid plans" by a delightful and totally unexpected visit from my newest married son and daughter-in-law who now live in Seattle. They drove down Wednesday night to surprise me at work when they arrived just before lunch on Thursday. Oh my!! They left Saturday morning to head back...so a short, but very sweet visit. Kind of left my emotions a bit raw...which might have been the source of my overeating over the weekend.

But today begins my 10th NoS week and I'm looking for green all the way. Kind of a relief to get back to it...

Blessings to all,
Pam
The Empire Strikes Back

princesspamf

Back on the Wagon!

Post by princesspamf » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:42 pm

Okay, the trouble started when I stopped checking in each day. Had unexpected company and didn't take the time...then just didn't get back to it...then wasn't following my plan...then pretty much ditched the plan all together...then tried to get back in gear, but not doing the checking in...just couldn't make it work.

So finally I grabbed the rope and stopped the descent...and now I know that 11 weeks is NOT enough to undo the many years of little or no discipline at all. So yesterday I climbed back into my right senses and began again.

As before I'm tracking the three NoS rules individually, plus a line for my quiet/devotional/scripture/prayer time, plus a line for weights 3 days a week, plus walking 30 minutes every day....so a total of 6 items tracking.
Yesterday was Day 1, a yellow NoS day and weights day. And green for walking and devotional time.

So far today I'm on track for an all green day. I'll report back in the morning.

Onward I go! One thing for sure, I feel better when I'm a green NoS'er!

Pam
The Empire Strikes Back

Kevin

Re: Back on the Wagon!

Post by Kevin » Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:03 am

Glad you jumped back in.
princesspamf wrote:Okay, the trouble started when I stopped checking in each day. Had unexpected company and didn't take the time...then just didn't get back to it...then wasn't following my plan...then pretty much ditched the plan all together...then tried to get back in gear, but not doing the checking in...just couldn't make it work.

So finally I grabbed the rope and stopped the descent...and now I know that 11 weeks is NOT enough to undo the many years of little or no discipline at all. So yesterday I climbed back into my right senses and began again.

As before I'm tracking the three NoS rules individually, plus a line for my quiet/devotional/scripture/prayer time, plus a line for weights 3 days a week, plus walking 30 minutes every day....so a total of 6 items tracking.
Yesterday was Day 1, a yellow NoS day and weights day. And green for walking and devotional time.

So far today I'm on track for an all green day. I'll report back in the morning.

Onward I go! One thing for sure, I feel better when I'm a green NoS'er!

Pam
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

princesspamf

Day 2--complete success

Post by princesspamf » Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:02 am

Today went well. Eating went well...got in the exercise...a wonderfully green day all around.

I'm off to bed a little early...another area in my life that needs work...and looking toward a green tomorrow!

Pam
The Empire Strikes Back

princesspamf

Post by princesspamf » Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:04 am

Thanks, Kevin, for the welcome and the encouragement it gives.
Pam
The Empire Strikes Back

princesspamf

Day 3 - Success!

Post by princesspamf » Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:57 pm

Tuesday was an all green day! The NoS part was just a tad more difficult, but I felt that I had really set my mind...and posted that I had...so I was able to stick to it! The hardest of the three areas for me is No Seconds...I want to eat just a bit more...yikes! That's one reason I am overweight in the first place!

Got to the middle of the afternoon and hadn't walked or biked yet, so decided to walk to the Junior College for choir rehearsal...I generally walk about 30 minutes...1.5 miles. The college is 2.4 miles away...plus a few stoplights to wait through...took me 49 minutes, but I made it! I'm a little sore this morning, but I'll live and I got my walking in! Did NOT walk home! = )

So ready for another green day.

Pam
The Empire Strikes Back

Kevin

Re: Day 3 - Success!

Post by Kevin » Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:55 pm

Great work on the walk, you Urban Ranger you.
princesspamf wrote:Tuesday was an all green day! The NoS part was just a tad more difficult, but I felt that I had really set my mind...and posted that I had...so I was able to stick to it! The hardest of the three areas for me is No Seconds...I want to eat just a bit more...yikes! That's one reason I am overweight in the first place!

Got to the middle of the afternoon and hadn't walked or biked yet, so decided to walk to the Junior College for choir rehearsal...I generally walk about 30 minutes...1.5 miles. The college is 2.4 miles away...plus a few stoplights to wait through...took me 49 minutes, but I made it! I'm a little sore this morning, but I'll live and I got my walking in! Did NOT walk home! = )

So ready for another green day.

Pam
Kevin

princesspamf

Day 4 - success

Post by princesspamf » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:13 pm

Another successful day. Too filled and busy to be otherwise = ) ...by the time I got to supper, I was really hungry...everything tasted so good and was so satisfying. And my one plate was enough! I wasn't stuffed or overly full, but I was in my right mind and knew that it was enough. 20 or 30 minutes later the thought flitted through my mind..."I am full. It was not only enough it was plenty."

That satisfied feeling doesn't come very often when I'm snacking my way through the day or eating lots of seconds just because the food is there, or even when I'm eating sweets...all three of those things stand in the way of true hunger and satisfaction.

I didn't get out to walk until 9:10 last evening, and I considered talking myself out of it...a little sore from my extended walk on Tuesday, but I wanted that green square and a successful report, so out I went. Took me a couple of extra minutes to walk my regular 1.5 miles, but I was so pleased with myself for simply putting one foot in front of the other and doing it!

I am so thankful to have found this eating/action/accountability plan! And I'm planning another green day tomorrow!

Yeah!
Pam
The Empire Strikes Back

Kevin

Re: Day 4 - success

Post by Kevin » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:55 pm

Kickin' some habit, aren't you? :)
princesspamf wrote:Another successful day. Too filled and busy to be otherwise = ) ...by the time I got to supper, I was really hungry...everything tasted so good and was so satisfying. And my one plate was enough! I wasn't stuffed or overly full, but I was in my right mind and knew that it was enough. 20 or 30 minutes later the thought flitted through my mind..."I am full. It was not only enough it was plenty."

That satisfied feeling doesn't come very often when I'm snacking my way through the day or eating lots of seconds just because the food is there, or even when I'm eating sweets...all three of those things stand in the way of true hunger and satisfaction.

I didn't get out to walk until 9:10 last evening, and I considered talking myself out of it...a little sore from my extended walk on Tuesday, but I wanted that green square and a successful report, so out I went. Took me a couple of extra minutes to walk my regular 1.5 miles, but I was so pleased with myself for simply putting one foot in front of the other and doing it!

I am so thankful to have found this eating/action/accountability plan! And I'm planning another green day tomorrow!

Yeah!
Pam
Kevin

princesspamf

Day 5 -Success!

Post by princesspamf » Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:23 pm

Thursday was a hectic day. Actually this whole week has been hectic...I feel like I'm always catching up instead of being on top of things. The days haven't gone the way I planned...lots of changes to the work schedule...with both cancellations and add ins...other things have been hard...it has been one of those weeks where everything I do seems to bring added work.

But I am determined to keep on! I think all my life I've used the busyness of the days as an excuse not to care about/for myself. Now that I understand that I have to make a change...and I am! Day by day.

NoS eating went fine. I did eat a slice of apple while I was cooking supper, but decided that, in the scope of things, to just let it go! Fixed dessert for my husband and granddaughter and simply skipped it...no issues, no problem. It felt good.

Didn't get to either my walking or strength training until the evening, but I set aside other stuff and did it, which felt really good. Took some advil before going to bed. = )

I'm liking the green on my paper HabitCal! In my first 11 weeks of NoS, Friday evenings were often my downfall. So I'm preparing myself this morning to determine to stay the course today--clear through the evening. I'm going for the ALL GREEN today!

Pam
Last edited by princesspamf on Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Empire Strikes Back

princesspamf

Day 6-Success

Post by princesspamf » Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:19 am

Another Green Day! I had a cup of hot tea at home this morning and breakfast at a staff meeting at work...good healthy stuff...one plate plus a cup of coffee. Lunch was a hamburger at Wendy's with a diet Coke and mandarin oranges instead of fires. Didn't even miss them. Homemade pizza...light on the cheese...for supper with a bowl of popcorn (the tradition for Friday nights at our house). Skipped the candy passed around at the staff meeting, and squelched the urge to throw it all overboard on the way home from work. Just got back from walking and added another half block, so it is 1.6 miles. I've had a couple of yucky blisters and I think I'm going to concentrate on riding my bike for a few days...and let my heels heal. One they feel okay, I'm off to buy a new pair of shoes!

Looking forward to Sat and Sun...glad to have the work week over and I am NOT going to even think about it much less do any over the weekend!

Blessings to all...love the fall, which is just now coming into it's richness here in the Central Valley of California. Lots to be thankful for!
Pam
The Empire Strikes Back

princesspamf

Days 7 & 8

Post by princesspamf » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:18 am

Saturday and Sunday went pretty well. Yellow days for eating; Exercised on Saturday, but simply didn't get to it Sunday. The blisters on my heels are worse than I had originally thought, so don't feel bad about giving them a day off. Will bike today in sandals and see if I can avoid making them worse.

So it's Monday and I'm working on a green day.
Pam
The Empire Strikes Back

princesspamf

Day 9 - Success

Post by princesspamf » Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:04 am

I'm soon headed off to bed. Today was a successful day. My supper plate was really full, but over half of it was salad-a great salad, BTW. No snacking, no sweets--not even sweetener in my tea, and no seconds. Love coloring in that green square!

My blisters are pretty bad...I think one may be infected...we'll try some home treatments for a couple of days. Might have to have them looked at. But...I can still ride my bike, which I did for 30 minutes today. I just took off and rode the back streets through neighborhoods away from home for 15 minutes and then turned and came back. It worked...wasn't boring...l love looking at people's yards and porches...and I go pretty steadily, with bouts of pushing it. I need to get my odometer wire replaced so I see how far I am going...and push to go a little farther. = )

Did my strength training even though I didn't want to. I'm definitely noticing an improvement in my ability to do the exercises that include balance. Encouraging to see improvement.

So an all green day! A very busy tomorrow, but I'm planning on being nice and green!

Blessings to all! Keep on the track!
Pam
The Empire Strikes Back

mimi

Post by mimi » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:28 pm

I have gone back and read your NoS journey up to this point, Pam, for very much needed encouragement - and it worked! Your progress is inspiring! Keep up the good work. I envy you that you can get out and walk or bike until late in the evenings...being on the East Coast and with the recent time change, it's beginning to get dark here at 5:00 p.m! Of course I'm not exercising at all with the ankle injury, but am SO looking forward to getting back to it!
I just LOVE how you've been working through all the little obstacles in your life...it inspires me! You're awesome!

princesspamf

Post by princesspamf » Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:49 pm

Hello, Mimi,
It's nice to hear from you. Thanks for your kind words. I remember reading your postings in the summer and early fall and appreciating your determination!

I have a brother/wife and a couple of nephews/families who live in Harrisonburg area. I grew up near Clifton Forge and went to Bridgewater College...moved to California in 1978, so felt an extra connection to you! You know, you can take the girl out of Virginia, but you can't take Virginia out of the girl!

It is dark when I walk, but I live in a well lit, non trafficed neighborhood. Biking I have to get done earlier. And of course I can always do my walking video indoors...guess that takes care of any excuses I have, huh?

Take good care of that ankle! My experience is that they heal slowly and need more time than I think. Do you do any strength training. There's a lot of upper body stuff you could do while your ankle is healing. I know my strength training is a laugh compared to all the workouts the younger generations do, but it has made a difference. Did you know I discovered I actually do have muscles in my arms!!

Off to work. Have a great green day!
Blessings,
Pam
The Empire Strikes Back

mimi

Post by mimi » Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:39 pm

princesspamf wrote:
I have a brother/wife and a couple of nephews/families who live in Harrisonburg area. I grew up near Clifton Forge and went to Bridgewater College...moved to California in 1978, so felt an extra connection to you! You know, you can take the girl out of Virginia, but you can't take Virginia out of the girl!
What a small world it is! We're not far from Harrisonburg at all - in fact my undergrad and post-grad degrees are from James Madison University (Madison College). My brother graduated from Bridgewater College! The Shenandoah Valley is still a beautiful place to live!
Take good care of that ankle! My experience is that they heal slowly and need more time than I think. Do you do any strength training. There's a lot of upper body stuff you could do while your ankle is healing. I know my strength training is a laugh compared to all the workouts the younger generations do, but it has made a difference. Did you know I discovered I actually do have muscles in my arms!!
I have learned that ankles heal very slooowly. Several people have told me that my doctor tends to be overly cautious compared to others in the area, but everyone who has been cared for by him has had excellent results. I would much rather take the time now, and heal correctly, than spend the rest of my days walking in pain.
I have had so much upper body workout between the crutches and walker, especially during the 6 weeks when I was not allowed to put my right foot down at all, that it's not funny. My daughter commented recently on my upper arm *muscles*! Nonetheless, I am anxious to get back to regular exercising. I have a new Leslie Sansone DVD that I'm eager to try, but I know it will still be awhile before I can (or should) attempt that.
I visit the orthopedist today, so keep your fingers crossed for me! We're getting heavy rain from the gulf hurricane today. Should be fun with crutches out there!

Have a great, green day Pam!

princesspamf

Day 10

Post by princesspamf » Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:07 pm

Yesterday was a mixed bag. I did fine on eating...all green, but again a really full dinner plate...too full. I need to work on that. I know when I don't get enough protein at lunch, I'm really hungry by supper time and over compensate.

However, I didn't exercise yesterday. Got home from work in the late afternoon--had a headache and just was generally blah...and cold. Ate supper and went to choral rehearsal and got home just before 10 p.m. with a bit of a cough and still not feeling very well. Tuesday is always my really full and hard day. I absolutely hate to exercise in the early mornings, but maybe I need to plan to do that on Tuesdays so I'm sure to get it in.

No work today--Veteran's Day--so off with my four granddaughters, ages: 2, 4, 10, 12, to visit a small zoo about an hour away. I should get plenty of exercise just keeping up with them!

Off I go!
Pam
The Empire Strikes Back

Kevin

Re: Day 10

Post by Kevin » Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:51 am

I hope you had a great day with your grandchildren.
princesspamf wrote:Yesterday was a mixed bag. I did fine on eating...all green, but again a really full dinner plate...too full. I need to work on that. I know when I don't get enough protein at lunch, I'm really hungry by supper time and over compensate.

However, I didn't exercise yesterday. Got home from work in the late afternoon--had a headache and just was generally blah...and cold. Ate supper and went to choral rehearsal and got home just before 10 p.m. with a bit of a cough and still not feeling very well. Tuesday is always my really full and hard day. I absolutely hate to exercise in the early mornings, but maybe I need to plan to do that on Tuesdays so I'm sure to get it in.

No work today--Veteran's Day--so off with my four granddaughters, ages: 2, 4, 10, 12, to visit a small zoo about an hour away. I should get plenty of exercise just keeping up with them!

Off I go!
Pam
Kevin