frugaltexan's check in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

frugaltexan

frugaltexan's check in

Post by frugaltexan » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:53 am

I started a thread yesterday, but somehow it seems to have disappeared...

Oh well..

July 27 - Day 1 - Success

July 28 - Day 2 - Success

Right now I am finishing up the last box of cereal for breakfast. I'm planning on switching to oatmeal. I like my oatmeal with a little brown sugar or honey mixed in - would that be considered a sweet on the plan?

What about raisins, or other dried fruits?

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:57 am

Welcome! The fruit is fine and I think that the sweeteners' amount is up to you to judge... if it tastes like a sweet, then it's too much. I personally think that you need some in oatmeal to make it even good. :wink: I use the guidline of: if I feel guilty, then it's too much.

By the way... you're going to love no S!
I guess this doesn't work unless you actually do it.
Please pray for me

frugaltexan

Post by frugaltexan » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:02 am

Thanks!

I agree - oatmeal really needs something a little sweet to make it taste good. :)

frugaltexan

Post by frugaltexan » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:44 am

Day 3 - Success!

I've actually managed to make it three days without chocolate. That is pretty amazing for me.

Something else I've been amazed at is the scale -- since last Thursday I have lost at least 4 lbs. I'm on a sparkteam (sparkpeople.com) where we weigh in every Thursday morning. Last week I was up two pounds from the week before, and three pounds from my beginning weight of six weeks earlier. (we go in 10 - 12 week cycles)

I think I've figured out why I couldn't get myself out of the that rollercoaster of losing a few, gaining one, maintaining, gaining, losing .... It's the junkfood addiction! Not just eating it a lot, but *way* over eating it.

I saw someone confess that they felt like they'd binged by eating a whole pint of oreo ice cream. Let's just say, that wouldn't count as a binge for me. It might be the *start* but not all of it - one pint felt like it was one serving (even though intellectually I know that it's more like 4 servings!)

I didn't get in any cardio today. I was getting ready to get on the elliptical when my dad called. He needed me to walk him through scanning some documents and attaching them to an email. He has Vista on his machine - which I've used maybe 3 x. I have XP. Two-hours later, we finally managed to get all 7 pages scanned and attached. So, instead of a cardio workout, I got a workout in patience and visualization. :D

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:20 pm

frugaltexan wrote: I'm on a sparkteam (sparkpeople.com) where we weigh in every Thursday morning.
I came here directly from sparkpeople, as some others have. It was Way way too time consuming and frustrating for me. One dinner took me close to an hour to calculate. I love to cook and bake from scratch. No S is so easy.. and it works even better. Plus you get to eat whatever without calculating.
I guess this doesn't work unless you actually do it.
Please pray for me

Thalia

Post by Thalia » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:16 pm

Yeah, I haven't used SparkPeople, but I have found that most online weight/calorie/nutrition trackers are exhausting to use unless you mostly eat branded prepackaged or chain-restaurant food. I was using Fitday -- maybe SparkPeople is better?

frugaltexan

Post by frugaltexan » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:47 pm

~reneew wrote:
frugaltexan wrote: I'm on a sparkteam (sparkpeople.com) where we weigh in every Thursday morning.
I came here directly from sparkpeople, as some others have. It was Way way too time consuming and frustrating for me. One dinner took me close to an hour to calculate. I love to cook and bake from scratch. No S is so easy.. and it works even better. Plus you get to eat whatever without calculating.
I don't use the food journal anymore, haven't for a long, long time. I mainly just participate in some teams, read blogs, and once in awhile check the message boards. I've been a member of one team since June, 2006 (where we weigh in every Thursday.)

frugaltexan

Post by frugaltexan » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:49 pm

Thalia wrote:Yeah, I haven't used SparkPeople, but I have found that most online weight/calorie/nutrition trackers are exhausting to use unless you mostly eat branded prepackaged or chain-restaurant food. I was using Fitday -- maybe SparkPeople is better?
Fitday I think is actually a better food/calorie tracker than sparkpeoples. But sparkpeople outshines fitday with it's community and continual improvements to the site, tons of free workout videos, etc.

frugaltexan

Post by frugaltexan » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:18 am

Thursday - Day 4 - Success!

I didn't get my cardio in again today. :( After work I had to stop by a woman's house to check out her room for rent. So, I decided to not work out today because I wanted my hair to look okay (instead of whatever it looks like after being washed and air drying.)

If the lady can wait for me to move in until the middle of September, I might just have a pretty good housing solution for me! I'd actually be able to put money in savings again, AND I'd have lots of access to the sweetest 2 dogs and 2 cats. :P It's been a little over two-years since my cat died, so it'd be so nice to have some snuggle buddies again. (The lady said she was really impressed with how all 4 animals warmed right up to me. One of the dogs was following me all around the house just begging for scritches - which I obliged, of course.)

Bushranger

Post by Bushranger » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:31 am

Aww so cute! That sounds like a great place; I hope it comes together for you. I love pets as well and it's very disheartening not being able to have any where I rent. Plus being right on a main road I wouldn't have cats here anyway as the risk is too great for them. I wish you luck.

frugaltexan

Post by frugaltexan » Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:00 am

Thanks! :)

That's too bad you can't have any pets in your place. But being on a main road would be pretty dangerous if they ever happened to escape outside. My family would always tease me about how panicked I would get whenever I'd see an outside door left partially open.

My little Monkey (Siamese Seal Point) *loved* to make an escape outside whenever he saw an opening. 90% of the time he didn't go much past the front door, but a few times he took off at a leisurely pace just exploring the neighborhood - with me chasing right behind him. Where I live now (and for the last two years of Monkey's life) he had access to a balcony right off my kitchen. He *loved* laying out and sunning himself. :D

frugaltexan

Post by frugaltexan » Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:56 am

Day 5 - NoS - Success!

Yesterday I was asked if I would work a slightly different shift today at a different location. I agreed to do that.

So, instead of getting up at 5:10 to be at the gym by 6:20, I was able to get up at 6:40 to be at the gym by 7:20. Loved getting to sleep in!

The one problem though was that I keep both my milk and cereal at the location I normally work 4 days a week at. So, I didn't have anything easy for breakfast.

Well, the location I worked at today is near a Burger King. I absolutely LOVE the Egg & Cheese Crosainwich and the CiniMini's. It's been *years* since I've had them. So ... I decided that I'd stop by BK and pick them up. I was kind of waffling on the cini-mini's as to whether they'd be on plan or not - but was thinking that maybe if I just put a *tiny* amount of icing on, and didn't overload it ....

Well, I got to BK and I ordered my Crosanwich and OJ. In the midst of double checking that there would not be any meat on my food, I forgot to order the cini-minis and somehow ended up with hashbrowns. As I was driving away, I realized what I'd done. Knowing that I don't like hashbrowns all that well, I knew I'd need a little more. So I stopped at a gas station and picked up an individual Honey Nuts & sm container of milk.

Once I got to the gym, I ate the Crosanwich, the cereal/milk, and maybe two hashbrowns.

So in the end, my being distracted by making sure I wasn't going to get something with meat on it, saved me from myself-- and let me make this a Green day!

I am looking forward to Saturday and Sunday!

frugaltexan

Post by frugaltexan » Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:37 pm

Day 6 - Saturday

I enjoyed putting syrup on my pancakes in the morning, and I treated myself with some (read: a lot) chocolate in the afternoon and a soda.

I think what I may need to do is give myself a treats budget$ for each month - maybe $5 or $6. Then when the money's gone, I have to wait till the next month's budget to buy more junk. This way maybe I'll have less temptation to "be an idiot" on the weekend.

frugaltexan

Post by frugaltexan » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:10 am

Day 7 - Sunday

I was pretty busy all day today working on a final project for my Master's class. I wasn't really all that hungry most of the day, but I wanted the ice cream I'd bought for my S day. So I rewarded myself by eating the ice cream after I finished the project. :) It was one of those mini-containers they sell for $1. WAY less than I'd normally eat, but really just the right amount for a taste.

Now I have no junk food in the house to tempt me during the week. On to another 5 days of green!!

frugaltexan

Post by frugaltexan » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:35 am

Day 8 - Monday!

I had no problems sticking with the three meals and 3 s's. However I think I waited a tad too long before eating supper, because a raging headache started a bit before I ate, and hasn't quite gone away yet. I finally gave in and took an aspirin a few minutes ago.

I've always had this picture in my head that I am a total addict to chocolate, and that going long periods without it would be impossible. But I can see that I went 5 days in a row with NO chocolate last week, and now a new set of 5 days. I wonder how much my junk food eating was due to real true cravings and how much was due to habit. Of course, the real true test would be for me to go 5 days without eating chocolate/sugary treats when there actually IS some in my home.

Exercise: 30 min Elliptical
Legs/Abs strength training

frugaltexan

Post by frugaltexan » Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:01 am

Day 9 - Tuesday
Day 10 - Wednesday

Yesterday evening I held on to the green by the skin of my teeth. I was visiting my mom and stepdad. For supper my stepdad had made rice, veggies, and ground meat. Well... I don't eat meat, so the ground meat was out. So I filled my plate up with the veggies (celery and onions) and rice, then added some cheese to it (after looking in their fridge and trying to figure out some good protein to add.) I was quite hungry by the time I ate, and ... to put it mildly, I was *still* hungry after eating. If I would have realized just how little the food would fill me up, I would have added a piece of pb toast to the plate - or cottage cheese (which I found out they had *after* I was 3/4 of the way through my meal.)

But somehow I managed to hold on ...

Today I ate a bit more than I normally would at each meal - I think to adjust for how starved I was Tuesday night.

Oh, I told my mom about No-s. She was especially impressed by my having gone 5 days in a row with no chocolate (or other junk foods.)

Tomorrow morning is my weekly weigh-in. Unless my extra eating today derailed me a bit, I should be down about 3 lbs from last week.

(I have a lot to lose - 70+ lbs just to get to the top of the "normal" weight chart.)

Something I'm finding that is kind of strange is that sometimes when I go ahead and eat my next meal when I'm not overly hungry, is that shortly after finishing, I feel hungry. For example, today I ate lunch about 2 p.m. When it got to after 7, I knew I needed to eat supper before it got too late in the day - but I wasn't really hungry. So I ate a small plate supper. Twenty minutes after eating, I felt like I was hungry.

Does this happen to anyone else?

frugaltexan

Post by frugaltexan » Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:29 am

Day 11 - Thursday

Two weeks ago I weighed in at 246.2
Today I weighed in at ...... 241.2 :D

Finally I am back on a losing streak!

Tonight I had a yummy dinner - baked sweet potato w/slice of swiss cheese melted on top, 2 slices garlic toast, and cottage cheese.

I think that I'll make that my Thursday night dinner treat. :D

26 hours till S days!
Last edited by frugaltexan on Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

frugaltexan

Post by frugaltexan » Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:54 am

Day 12 - Friday

I played with fire today. There is this deli that makes the most scrumptious tasting chocolate chip muffins. I bought one and had them tape the wrapping. It sat next to me all day wrapped up and in a little bag.

I didn't touch it.

Brought it home tonight and put it in the fridge, along with several other Sday treats. Making supper tonight I opened the freezer to get some veggies out ...oops ... stared right into the face of temptation ... Karamel Sutra (ice cream). Quickly closed the freezer door.

I am almost eager to go to bed tonight so that I can wake up in the morning and have my cc muffin for breakfast. :)

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:16 am

Wonderful! I've stayed up until midnight on some Friday nights!

frugaltexan

Post by frugaltexan » Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:22 am

Kathleen wrote:Wonderful! I've stayed up until midnight on some Friday nights!
I contemplated doing that ... but I have an appointment at 9am, so going to bed at a decent hour and then being able to enjoy the muffin in the morning seemed like a better decision. Midnight however is only 2 1/2 hours away .... :)

frugaltexan

Post by frugaltexan » Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:00 am

Wowsa, wowsa - Day 13 - Saturday

I woke up about 7:30 this morning, took my Synthroid (for hypothyroidism), waited till 8, warmed up my cc muffin, and then MMM MMMM ate it with a fork. Yummy!

I really should have added something else with it though for breakfast - I ended up not getting out of church until 1:15, then had to stop at the grocery store to pick up a prescription. By that time I was seriously hungry --- so I ended up picking up two snickers bars (2 for 88cents.) I ate one on the way home, and the other while I was waiting for my frozen pizza to cook.

Then I proceeded to eat half a bag of Nestle Treasures - not because I was hungry, but just because I could ... and they were there.

Tonight I had a really late supper - mashed potatoes and a cottage cheese patty. Again, not really hungry, but felt like I should eat something somewhat real, and I had leftover potatoes, so it was easy.

So now in my house I have 1/2 bag of treasures and 1 pint of Karmel Sutra ice cream. Amazingly, right now, I'm not even sure I'm going to want to eat any of it tomorrow. But ... I'm scared to have it in my place during the week. I only need 5 more N days and then I'm home free for the 21 club. If I have junk available, I eat it. I managed to last one day, but I'm not sure if I'm strong enough yet to last 5.

I can tell my tolerance for junkfood is dwindling. At one point in time I could eat a bag of treasures (or a box of Little Debbies), 3 or 4 candy bars, a 20 oz soda, and a 1/2 a jar of Nutella (or a pint of ice cream) in one afternoon and not feel sick. And that might happen two or three times in a week. (And I wonder why I weigh so much.)

This is why I am so amazed that I've made it two sets of 5 days with NO junkfood. Snacks and seconds aren't that difficult - its the sweets that I have to really keep a tight reign on.

If I don't eat it tomorrow, then I'll have it available for next weekend and won't have to buy any junkfood in my grocery trip ...

Tomorrow I need to do a lot of cleaning, take pictures of stuff I want to sell and list on Craigslist, see if I can find my tape gun, get some boxes put together and start packing. I'd also like to maybe get in a barefoot run sometime ... I think I had more than enough junkfood today, so if I can avoid it tomorrow, it'll be good. Keeping busy will help.

frugaltexan

Post by frugaltexan » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:41 am

Day 14 - Sunday

Well.... so much for saving the ice cream and other 1/2 bag for next weekend. I didn't accomplish anything today. I only have two weeks left before I start my next round of classes - I really need to get motivated to get myself ready to move in 4 or 5 weeks.

I'm looking forward to not being able to eat sweets this coming week. For me, sweets have the tendency to replace real food. Instead of eating a normal breakfast this morning, I ate the rest of my treasures and the ice cream. Then a long time later, I ate a normal meal, which turned out to be supper (since it was so late.) Not very good nutrition wise at all.

Bushranger

Post by Bushranger » Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:29 am

frugaltexan wrote:I'm looking forward to not being able to eat sweets this coming week. For me, sweets have the tendency to replace real food. Instead of eating a normal breakfast this morning, I ate the rest of my treasures and the ice cream. Then a long time later, I ate a normal meal, which turned out to be supper (since it was so late.) Not very good nutrition wise at all.
The tendency to replace real food with these types of "treat" foods is a large part in the dietary downfall that leads to obesity in our western societies. The fact that you have not only recognised this behaviour in yourself but are also targeting it for correction is a huge step forward, Frugaltexan. You should be very proud of yourself, I sure am. :)

frugaltexan

Post by frugaltexan » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:51 am

Thanks Bushranger.

Day 15 - Monday

I was up 1.4 lbs this morning from the weekend indulgences. I'm okay with that, because I know if I stick with the No-s plan the rest of this week, those pounds will soon be history, plus perhaps a bit more. (I'd SO love to get back into the 230's for this Thursday's weigh in - but that would mean losing about 2 lbs this week, which is a lot considering I lost about 2 lbs for the past two weeks.)

frugaltexan

Post by frugaltexan » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:54 am

Day 16 - Tuesday

I made it through today by gritting my teeth.

I usually eat lunch around 2 pm. I still wasn't really hungry at 2, and knew that I'd be going by an IHOP on my way to my mom's house. (watering their yard while gone on vacation) So I figured I could wait till a little after 3. Ended up being nearly 4 before I finally got my meal (new cook - messed up order twice!) (Garden stuffed crepes - sauce on side. The sauce on side is what messed the cook up both times.)

I got to my mom's, and of course the marshmallows in the pantry were calling my name. Ignored them though. :)

I had/have a massive headache. Was jonesing for some real deal coke. Mom usually has one of those fridge cases of Coke. But I guess they took them with on vacation -- good thing because I almost talked myself into fudging that a real deal Coke wouldn't count as a sweet.

Made it back home and ate a light supper (wasn't really hungry) and am now about to head off to the z land.

I go back on Friday to water again (and will probably spend the night and do laundry) so will have a few of those marshmallows Sat. morning. :)

frugaltexan

Post by frugaltexan » Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:43 am

Day 17 - Wednesday

Today was actually pretty easy. It was my "off" day from the gym. I'm out of the frozen homemade pancakes, so decided to make a smoothie for breakfast. (to help clean out the freezer and fridge more) I hadn't made one in quite awhile, and it was *very* good. :) My other two meals weren't very big, mostly just eating something to make sure I had 3 meals today.

I think those crepes from IHOP yesterday must have had a lot of sodium. Last night the scale said 244.6, and this morning 242.4. But tonight it said 240.6 ... so either my scale is going wonky on me .. or there was a lot of sodium. If so, then I might be in the 230's in the morning! Woo Hoo!

(Thursday is my official weigh in day.)

I got a bunch of stuff listed on craigslist today. Need to get some more info on a few items before I can list them. Also need to get more batteries for my camera so I can take some more pictures. In about a month I will be moving from 737 square feet to about 300 square feet -- gotta get rid of stuff!!

frugaltexan

Post by frugaltexan » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:23 am

Day 18 - Thursday

Official WI today: 240.4
No-s Starting Weight: 246.6 (7/23)

Loss of 5.8lbs! Woo Hoo!

Only 27 more hours until I'm home free and can join the 21 club!

This last week or so I kind of was slacking in the exercise department - but today I made sure to get my cardio in (barefoot running for the world!)

I have this feeling I'm gonna be seeing the 230's tomorrow morning!

frugaltexan

Post by frugaltexan » Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:31 am

Day 19 - Friday

Well, didn't quite make it to the 230's today, but weighed in at 240.0 - so pretty darn close. :)

While doing my grocery shopping this afternoon, I stubbed my pinkie toe. ;(
It didn't bother me much till after supper.

I've been craving cinnamon rolls. So today I bought a box of 4 cinnamon rolls at walmart from their bakery department. I could have been happy with just one or maybe two, but didn't see any individual ones for sale. I've also been craving cheesecake, but so far each time I've gone shopping for sday treats, I end up getting other stuff.

Next weekend is going to be very different for me. I'll be going on campus of the university I'm taking my master's at for a 4 day institute. After that, everything is pretty much done online. Friday night there is a get together at Pancho's. Pancho's makes the *real* sopapilas. I haven't had one for a long long time because my local ones have closed. :(

My plan is to allow myself an S-event Friday night - but just two sopapillas w/honey of course. :) Saturday and Sunday are of course S days anyway. Monday and Tuesday I am going to use my two NWS days for August - but I am not going to purposefully look for sweets or extras to eat, I'll only go for it if it seems S worthy.

I'm not sure how I'll get in my exercise Monday and Tuesday. I'll be in class from 8 to 5, and then Monday night theres another party/get together thing, and Tuesday night there is some kind of new graduate student assembly/food function. I tried to find a hotel that had a fitness center - but although most of them had one listed on their website, NONE of them actually had one! I think I might be able to use the university gym, but I don't think it opens early enough to be useful.

I suppose I could run in place in my room and do just bodyweight exercises ....

frugaltexan

Post by frugaltexan » Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:22 am

Day 20 - Saturday

Wow. What a day today.

I ate a larger than normal breakfast about 8am. (chocolate chip pancakes, cinnamon bun, york peppermint pattie, banana, orange juice, slice of cheese)

Then I didn't eat again until 7 p.m. This wasn't by choice. Let's just cut the long story short by saying today was full of Murphy and Car Troubles. Ugh!

One interesting thing today. I started my breakfast this morning with the York pattie. I actually felt kind of sick after eating a few bites. I was wondering if maybe my sugar ability has been lowered.

But then I ate 7 or 8 fudge covered cookies tonight, and they didn't make me sick. Hmm... not sure what to think.

frugaltexan

Post by frugaltexan » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:26 am

Day 21 - Sunday

Yay! I made it into the 21 club! :D

After not eating much at all yesterday, I was shocked to see my scale at 242 this morning. The only thing I could think of was maybe it was due to dehydration?

I certainly made up for my limited intake on Saturday today (Sunday.) But I also got a good bit done on decluttering and getting rid of stuff.

Day 22 - Monday

I was really, really tired today. Even took a nap when I finally got home.

But, stuck to the three meals only. Even though I have a half bag of fudge covered cookies out on my counter. They actually aren't too hard to resist because they weren't all that good to begin with.

I really didn't like the scale this morning. It said 243.2!! Seriously! If I thought I could really stick with not weighing myself every day, I might resolve to just weigh in on my official Thursdays - but I know that's a resolve I wouldn't keep. So... just keep on keeping on .. and see how it transpires from there.
5'9 -- Laura --

Started July 23, 2009 -- 246.6
Restart: June 13, 2010 - 241.6
July 18, 2010 -- 235 .... - 11.6 lb loss in ~1 yr.
Back Again: January 13, 2012 -- 242.2 lbs

frugaltexan

Post by frugaltexan » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:50 pm

Day 23 - Tuesday

When I was driving home from work today, I was thinking about how so many other times before I would get it into my head to stop and get something to eat. Usually that would mean a couple candy bars and a 20 oz soda, or perhaps a pint of ice cream. But today as I was driving home and the niggling thought of stopping somewhere invaded my brain, I was able to keep on driving with little hesitation. All I had to do was think to myself, This is an N day. If you really want junk, it can wait a few more days.

It was with a sense of relief that I kept on driving down the road. There is no longer any room for debating the issue. It is either an N day or, well .. it's not!
5'9 -- Laura --

frugaltexan

Post by frugaltexan » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:51 am

Wednesday

Well, I guess it had to happen at some point, didn't?

I not only dented the car, but reversed multiple times to repeat it. Le sigh.

I think my frustration with my weight going up instead of staying steady or going down + all the money I spent yesterday on getting my car fixed + dealing with navigating the airport -- all was too much for me.

Today though will be better. I've marked Wednesday off and am moving on.
5'9 -- Laura --

frugaltexan

Post by frugaltexan » Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:42 am

Day 1 - Thursday

Today went well, although I was *really* hungry this morning. Probably a direct correlation to the unhealthy "meals" I had yesterday.

Tomorrow night at supper I will be having an S event. A get together with fellow graduate students at Pancho's. My plan is to have two sopapillias with honey.

Sat - Tuesday I'll be in class from 8 to 5 each day. I am taking Monday and Tuesday as my NWS days - but will only do so if there is something I *really* want, or it is just necessary for one reason or another.
5'9 -- Laura --

frugaltexan

Post by frugaltexan » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:29 pm

Well ... I'm back from the 4 day web institute (grad school.)

To put it mildly, I did not do very well with my eating. I had planned on giving myself ONE S event Friday night for the get together supper, and then to allow small treats or snacks on M and T. But .. F through today were all pretty much idiotic S days.

I have a strong feeling I've regained all the weight I had previously lost. Ugh.

Right now - this moment - I am starting over. I can't make this a green day, but I don't have to keep crashing into the wall.
5'9 -- Laura --

frugaltexan

Post by frugaltexan » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:32 am

Monday and Tuesday were both 100% No-S days.

It's going to take a bit of work to get back to where I was before crashing my car over the cliff last week. Having 4 S days in a row really was not a good idea. There was NO good reason to make last Monday an S day - it could've been an N day - but because I'd decided to *make* it an S day, I made sure I had my S's! Ugh.

For September I can't think of anything set which would call for an NWS day, except maybe my mom's birthday - but that will more than likely be celebrated on an S day anyway.

Along with my eating being in the toilet most of last week, I also completely ignored exercise. Yesterday I got on the elliptical and managed 15 minutes and leg exercises, and today I got in my 30 min walk/run and a few half-hearted arm exercises.

So, I am back on.

Thursday is the beginning weigh in for the next sparkpeople biggest loser challenge team I'm on. Hopefully my weight will be below my starting weight for the last one. :(
5'9 -- Laura --

frugaltexan

Post by frugaltexan » Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:18 am

Wednesday

Today is normally an entire day off work, but I was asked to work an extra shift this afternoon. Since we have Monday off next week, and I'll be losing 9 hours pay, I was happy to take the extra shift.

So for a late breakfast this morning I had 3 waffles with PB&J (sugar free). I was hungry again about an hour later, but ignored it. Then on my way to work I stopped by Taco Bell and picked up a burrito for lunch, about 2:30, but wasn't even hungry. So ended up eating lunch about 3:30.

Supper was about an hour ago (9ish) and was a couple pieces of cheese. Wasn't really hungry.

Tomorrow is the first weigh in for the Fall challenge on my sparkpeople team. I've been contemplating making Thursdays and one weekend day my regular S days. That way my indulgences will not be so close together and close to weigh in day. But as I think more about it, I am not sure that is a good idea - may just be setting myself up for failure on the weekends. Saturday nights and Sunday mornings both are good times for sweet treats ...

For now, at least, I'm going to stick to Vanilla No S.
5'9 -- Laura --

harmony

Post by harmony » Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:40 am

Thanks for leaving a note on my check-in :D . It's nice to know someone does read these things.

That darn scale! I am starting to think it is a lot like gambling. I never know if it will be good or bad, but I keep stepping on the scale hoping for a jackpot! It's a good thing that I don't have to pay a nickel each time I step on (though that gives me an idea...). I hope your weigh-in tomorrow is a happy one.

Sorry for the cheesy analogy. I think I'm tired. :lol:

kwonset

Post by kwonset » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:48 pm

Laura,

I saw your note on the "21 day" thread, thanks. I figured out that it was you from the SP team. Have been meaning to mention my oldest son has just gone back to school-- for library science!
You will get back to where you were before the 'cliff', I am sure. This way of eating has just about turned me around completely; wine and snacking in the evening are gone, and I think so much less about food -- I just think of what sort of meal I am hungry for, prepare it, eat it, and I'm done. Well, there's grocery shopping in there too!

Karen
"If you don''t like how things are, change it! You are not a tree!" Jim Rohn

frugaltexan

Post by frugaltexan » Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:09 am

:D How cool is that Karen! What area of library science is he looking at going into?

Well, my weigh in this morning was 2.4 lbs less than my initial weigh in for the summer challenge. I was happy to be as close I was at any rate. Ended up being the best part of my day.

When I went to my car to go to work -- it was dead. So, I ended up taking a taxi to get to work - which meant I didn't get my exercise in this morning (my barefoot run - was going to go to 14 minutes today.)

I also was so stressed - not just today's car event, but the accumulation of the last three weeks worth of car events, that I *HAD* to have chocolate. So I had chocolate milk and a chocolate muffin and a bag of m&m's.

It of course did nothing to relieve my stress over the car situation - only helped to ruin another 5 day run.

Tomorrow will be a green day. No matter what the mechanic says when I get my car towed to him, I will find other ways to deal with it other than chocolate. (It will also help that my mom is picking me up from the mechanics and taking me to her house for the weekend - no real opp. for me to get junk even if I really really wanted it.)

The emotional habitual eating is my biggest problem. Somehow I managed to hold it at bay for the first 21 days. I WILL do it again!

Thursday WI: 243.6
5'9 -- Laura --

frugaltexan

Post by frugaltexan » Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:02 am

I have been at my mom's house since Friday. My car is still in the shop. I appreciate very much her letting me stay so I'm not stranded, but it's been hard to not react to her judginess.

Yesterday we went to Costco after having eaten lunch. I was full. Throughout the store anywhere there were free samples, she'd get one and try to get me to have one. I kept telling her I wasn't hungry, and that only chocolate would tempt me.

When we got home she kept finding stuff to eat, all the while complaint about not feeling good and all the carbs shed eaten.

A few hours later she suggested we (plus stepdad) go to CiCi's for supper. I still wasn't very hungry, but agreed to go because they were hungry.

At CiCi's I had salad and 3 medium slices of pizza. My mom had the same. Then she got desert - of course saying how she wouldn't be a le to eat all that. Well I just wanted a small portion myself, so I suggested we split it. Which is what we did. Later she went and got desert for her husband - but she ate a good bit of it herself.

This morning she was complaining about the scale - said it was the fault of the carbs she ate. I didn't say a word.

Later we again went to Costco. I'd eaten a good breakfast and was full. As we walked around, she again partook of every possible sample. I finally told her again that since it was an s day, if there was some sweet I'd be tempted, otherwise I didn't want anything. She then says to me "I don't see that there's much difference between s and n days. " that slightly ticked me off (we have a history of her picking at me - she really tries to be supportive . . .) but I just said that the main diff was that on s days I can allow myself sweets or snacks if I really want them, while on n days if there's a treat I want, then I just have to wait a little.

So I tell her I'd like to stop at a gas station and pick up a couple treats for me. We stop and I get a pb cup and a little bag of donuts. When I get out to the car her first comment is about the donuts.

Later on we've finished watching a movie - it's late and I decide I don't want to go walking. She makes some comment and I tell her that my n days are my exercise days and s days are rest days if I want. She makes a smart remark. So then I say that I'm going to go read and eat my donuts. She then says that's a much healthier choice than going walking.

I had to really bite my tongue. Especially when she decides that she's going to watch tv instead of going for a walk.

I love my mom, but we really can't spend too much time together and maintain a good relationship.

Some insight into my mom - she had gastric bypass 10+ years ago and lost over 100 lbs and is still constantly fighting to keep the weight off. She sees herself as living a much healthier lifestyle than me - mainly because she's not overweight anymore and I am. Of course she doesn't seem to factor into it the fact that I refuse to take any of the myraid of potions she's always getting into, or that she lost her weight in the first place due to surgery. Not that surgery is an easy way out in the least - it has left her with numerous health problems. I sometimes wonder if she would have been better off without the surgery, even if it meant she still would be obese.
5'9 -- Laura --

harmony

Post by harmony » Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:49 pm

It sounds like you are handling all of the stress and temptation quite well. I am a wimp when it comes to my family offering me food. It's a good thing they live 7 hours away!

I love my family more than anything, but 4-5 days is about the limit for me if I want to keep things nice (depending on the family member). After that, I start saying things I later regret.

Hang in there. Hope this car thing resolves soon. :D

frugaltexan

Post by frugaltexan » Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:40 pm

Thanks Harmony. I've never really been one to be very tempted by the sample goodies in Sam's or Costco. First of all, most of them are meat, and I am a vegetarian. Second of all, I prefer to read what all is in the food first. Exceptions are made for chocolate - especially if it also involves cheesecake. (There was one cheesecake sample at Costco. I was more than happy to accept that one.) :D Third, especially now with No-s, but even before, I never was too much into eating in stores while shopping. :)
5'9 -- Laura --

frugaltexan

Post by frugaltexan » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:31 am

No excuses or reasonings. I have been off track completely the past two days. Being stressed out by the continuing saga of my car and impending move is NOT a reason to let myself totally derail the good habits I'd started to form.

Tomorrow WILL be a green day.
5'9 -- Laura --

frugaltexan

Post by frugaltexan » Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:56 am

I am moving on from the past and looking toward the present and the future.

Today was Day 1 of a 21 day streak.
5'9 -- Laura --

buttercreampillow

Post by buttercreampillow » Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:12 am

Yay for making a new start and having courage! You can do this! :D

buttercreampillow

P.S. I have lived in Houston, San Antonio, Lubbock and Dallas. My family doesn't live there, I'm not from Texas originally, nor do I live there now, but it's home.
Natural Eater

bizzybee

Post by bizzybee » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:41 pm

I wish you luck in pushing that reset button. The road is long and full of potholes but it does LEAD somewhere great.

:)

frugaltexan

Post by frugaltexan » Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:36 pm

Buttercreampillow,

:) I've lived in McAllen, San Antonio, Fort Worth, Cleburne and in Dallas - but have only been in Texas for about 12 years, so some don't consider me a Texan just yet. :D (Before that I lived in Tennesee, Iowa, Wisconsion, Minnesota, New Mexico, California, and New Jersey.)

Thanks bizzybee,

Lately I've been really good at finding the potholes. I just need to practice finding ways to get around them without falling in them. :)
5'9 -- Laura --

frugaltexan

Post by frugaltexan » Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:49 am

Day 2 - Tuesday

I am really not feeling good today. Two nights of little sleep probably is not helping any.

I am debating whether or not I am going to continue with the sparkpeople challenge. I've tried this before - not weighing weekly (officially at least) and it didn't work too well. But .. this time if I stick with the vanailia no-s plan, then maybe it would work okay. I'm thinking that after I move this weekend, I'll put my scale away and not get it out again except once a month or so - maybe make the 15th my official weigh day?

So, if I do that, then for September my official weight: 245.2
5'9 -- Laura --

frugaltexan

Post by frugaltexan » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:38 am

Day 3 - Wednesday

I took some Nyquil last night and drank some sleepytime tea - and managed to get nearly 7 hours of pretty restful sleep. I felt much better, but still not 100%.

Today I defrosted my freezer. I'd read that it should only take 4 or 5 hours tops. At the 5 hour mark mine was still pretty full of ice. Then I had a "duh" moment. I realized that I hadn't actually turned it OFF. So ... it is still in the process of defrosting (9:30 pm my time.) I think that is why it took so long to defrost last time - I actually gave up on fully defrosting it a couple months ago, and tried to get it to refreeze. (It's at least 20 years old - hand me down from my parents.) Can't do that today though - moving on Sunday, so it's gotta be empty of ice and dry. :)

I got a few boxes packed (mostly my books). I'm really lagging on the packing thing. It probably doesn't help that all I feel like doing is laying down and sleeping or watching tv. (Of course I don' t even have a tv anymore - so, what's up with that?!)

Tomorrow will be a long day at work. So I probably won't get any more packing done tomorrow. So .. Friday between work and my library observation (for a class) and then Saturday night are all I have left for packing. Yikes!
5'9 -- Laura --

frugaltexan

Post by frugaltexan » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:29 am

Day 4 - Thursday
5'9 -- Laura --

frugaltexan

Post by frugaltexan » Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:00 am

Day 5 - Friday

I wish I knew why making 5 green days was not very difficult this week, but the previous few weeks I had trouble having 2 green days in a row?!! This week I had slightly less stress, as my car was not giving me fits, but I also am busy trying to get ready for my move on Sunday. Today I'm still not feeling 100% - so tired, and so hard to motivate myself to get boxes packed. Tomorrow though is do or die. No more putting it off. (packing, that is.)
5'9 -- Laura --

frugaltexan

Post by frugaltexan » Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:49 am

Day 6 - Saturday
Day 7 - Sunday

This weekend I moved. Saturday I had a few treats, and on Sunday I somehow went from eating breakfast at 6am till eating my next (and last) meal at nearly 4 pm. I had bought a 20 oz coke, but because my new landlady and I talked for nearly 3 hours, I only drank a few ounces of it because I was afraid the caffeine would keep me up. It's in the fridge now - will be interesting to see what it tastes like on Saturday!

Day 8 - Monday

Today wasn't hard at all. In fact, the hardest part about it was making sure I got a third meal in!

I think I've figured out two different rewards for myself for 21 days on target. There is a place near my new home that does spa pedicures for $10. So, I think that when I complete this round of 21, I will treat myself to a spa pedicure. :) Then, after the next 21, I will treat myself to a first-run movie. By then, hopefully the habits will be pretty well ingrained.
5'9 -- Laura --

frugaltexan

Post by frugaltexan » Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:21 am

Day 9 - Tuesday
5'9 -- Laura --

frugaltexan

Post by frugaltexan » Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:18 am

Day 10 - Wednesday

This afternoon I was really tempted to get a shake or a slurpee. I even was wondering where the nearest DQ was located. I didn't give in though.

It wasn't that I was hungry. I was thirsty and quenching my thirst with water just didn't appeal to me - so I thought of a Slurpee, then a shake, then DQ.

I ended up getting a vegie burger from Burger King. I'd eaten breakfast about 9:45 a.m. and ate "lunch" about 4:30 p.m. although I wasn't really hungry even then. For supper, I still wasn't hungry, but needed my third meal - so did a banana with peanut butter.

Is a regular hot chocolate (such as Swiss Miss) kosher for N days? Or do they have to be the sugar free kind?
5'9 -- Laura --

frugaltexan

Post by frugaltexan » Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:57 am

Day 11- Thursday
5'9 -- Laura --

frugaltexan

Post by frugaltexan » Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:11 am

Day 12 - Friday

I almost messed up today. I finished getting the remainder of my things from my apartment, and I was pretty hot and sweaty. So, I stopped by a gas station to pick up a soda and treats for tomorrow and a water.

Well, I got the soda and the treats, but forgot to get the water. It was about a 30 minute drive to my new place (with traffic) and I debated the whole way if great thirst was a valid reason to break my N day by drinking the soda. Luckily my desire to keep my N days Green won out over being thirsty.

Tomorrow I'll be able to drink that soda and enjoy not only it, but also the sweet victory of not giving in!
5'9 -- Laura --

frugaltexan

Post by frugaltexan » Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:13 am

Double post. :?
5'9 -- Laura --

frugaltexan

Post by frugaltexan » Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:57 am

Day 13 - Saturday
Day 14 - Sunday
Day 15 - Monday

This weekend I got a Peanut Buster Parfait at Dairy Queen. I was shocked that by the time I was 3/4 finished with it, that I had to stop. I had had enough sweetness (esp. the chocolate.) I really think my tolerance level for sweets is going down.
5'9 -- Laura --

frugaltexan

Post by frugaltexan » Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:39 am

Day 16 - Tuesday
5'9 -- Laura --

frugaltexan

Post by frugaltexan » Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:35 am

Day 17 - Wednesday

Yesterday I took the bike I'd gotten for free off of freecycle about six-years ago to a bike shop to get tuned up. For the past 3 1/2 years it had been locked up on the balcony outside my apartment, and exposed to all the elements. The bike guy took a look at it, and told me that it needed a lot more than just a tune up, and that he'd suggest starting over with a different bike. (rusted chain, rotted/dried out tires/tubes, etc.)

So, this morning while I was at Wal-mart getting a new tire on my car, I checked out the bikes. I ended up getting an 18 speed trail bike for about the same cost as revamping my old bike (10 speed cruiser.) (I also purchased a helmet and a little carry all bag that attaches to the handlebars.)

I took it out for a short spin this morning, and started to get my bike balance back, but not quite all the way yet.

This move is benefiting me financially, emotionally (related to not having to worry so much about stretching min wage dollars + going to school), and also physically since I have a good excuse to be active every single day.

At my new home I have been taking the landlady's two dogs out for a walk everyday. One of the dogs is quite overweight, and only goes for a short bit. The other one though, I can't seem to tire her out! :D So, once I get a bit more steady/confident on my bike, I'll take her out on a short bike ride and see if I can manage to finally tire her out. :D

In fact, the dogs have come to expect it. Tonight I got caught up watching a television program on TLC that my landlady was watching. Both of the dogs kept paying attention to me - wagging tails, etc. Finally, when the program was over, I stood there talking with* (not really with, more like nodding head and being polite) the landlady. The larger dog kept staring up at me with her big Beagle eyes, and the hyper one started jumping up on me while wagging her tail. Finally, I managed to get away to the toilet. When I came out, both dogs were laying in front of the door waiting for me. LOL!
5'9 -- Laura --

buttercreampillow

Post by buttercreampillow » Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:51 am

Texan, I'm glad the new housing situation is working out for you. It would be nice to have dogs in my life again, but my lifestyle only supports a cat. I hope you get along well with your landlady--that would seem to make all the difference between a nice living situation and an unbearable one.

Did I pick up from your journal that you are working on a master's in library science? What kind of library work do you want to do?

buttercreampillow
Natural Eater

frugaltexan

Post by frugaltexan » Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:38 am

Thanks buttercream. :) Yes, I am working on a Master's in Library Science. I will also be certified as a School Librarian. I taught for 8 years, and do not wish to go back into the classroom, but think it would be great fun to work in a school as the librarian. :D

Day 18 - Thursday
5'9 -- Laura --

frugaltexan

Post by frugaltexan » Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:56 am

Day 19 - Friday

I celebrated my 2nd 21 day streak a little early today -- I bought 10 songs off of iTunes. :D So whenever I listen to those songs, I will be reminded of the fact that I got to buy them because I had had 21 days of success!
5'9 -- Laura --

frugaltexan

Post by frugaltexan » Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:05 am

Day 20 - Saturday

I didn't get a walk in with the dogs today - it was too hot this afternoon, and then it started raining and hasn't really stopped.

I've been enjoying my S day today. :)
5'9 -- Laura --

bizzybee

Post by bizzybee » Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:33 pm

I want to be the first one to congratulate you on 21 days!
Just one more, you have so totally got this.

frugaltexan

Post by frugaltexan » Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:21 am

Day 21 - Sunday

Between rainstorms today I got the dogs out for a walk two different times. During the second walk after letting the slow one back inside, I even did a bit of jogging with the energetic one. :) Just can't tire her out!

Thanks BizzyBee :D

Tomorrow I start my next round of 21 days. My reward will be a first-run movie! Also, this coming Saturday will be my first monthly (official) weigh in. I'm excited to see what happens. :D
5'9 -- Laura --

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:07 am

Congrats on your 21!

frugaltexan

Post by frugaltexan » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:20 am

Thanks Dandelion!

Day 1 - Monday

Today I had something happen which would normally totally derail me. It would have me at the store buying whatever junkfood I could get in my cart without appearing "too" piggish to people around me. Then consuming it when I got home.

But instead I took the dogs out for a longer than usual walk. After dropping off the large one and continuing on with the energetic one, I ran more than usual. I did not go to the grocery store. I ate a small, normal supper.

I'm still not happy about what happened today, but I AM happy that I kept today an N day!
5'9 -- Laura --

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:48 am

Congratulations on not trying to solve your problem with food, that is a huge step forward.

Hope your problem is speedily resolved ((((((((((hugs)))))))))
Hugs from Sunny South Africa
Vanilla No S with no Sugar due to Health issues - 11 yrs No S - September 2016 (some good, some bad (my own doing) but always the right thing for me!)

frugaltexan

Post by frugaltexan » Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:06 am

Thanks MerryCat. I'm still frustrated by the situation, but I'm dealing with it.

Day 2 - Tuesday
5'9 -- Laura --

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:18 am

I can sympathise. I had a rotten day as well and thoughts of food flitted through my mind briefly. then I thought there was no way they were gonna get me to mess up my 21 days :)

frugaltexan

Post by frugaltexan » Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:51 am

Day 3 - Wednesday

Today at work someone brought by a box of these little cupcakes with meriengue (sp?) frosting - chocolate and vanilla. I took one of each and wrapped them up in a napkin - and will enjoy them this weekend. :D
5'9 -- Laura --

frugaltexan

Post by frugaltexan » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:01 am

Day 4 - Thursday
5'9 -- Laura --

frugaltexan

Post by frugaltexan » Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:02 am

Day 5 - Friday

Tomorrow is my official monthly weigh-in! I think I have lost a few pounds - I've had two different people ask me if I'd lost weight. :D
5'9 -- Laura --

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:58 am

Do you really manage to stay away from the scale all month?

It's so nice that people are noticing - hope the scale agrees for you :)

frugaltexan

Post by frugaltexan » Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:56 am

Dandelion wrote:Do you really manage to stay away from the scale all month?

It's so nice that people are noticing - hope the scale agrees for you :)
Well ... not quite. :D But I have only weighed twice in the past month - both times on a Saturday. So I had an idea about what today might be. :)

Day 6 - Saturday

I weighed in today at 238.6. So, since July 23 when I started No-s, I have lost eight pounds!!! Woo Hoo!

I had thought about keeping my weigh ins on the 15th of each month, but then realized that sometimes the 15th might fall on a Sunday or a Monday - which would not be a good day to weigh in. :D So, I decided on doing it on the second Saturday of each month.

When I've tried doing the monthly weigh-ins before it didn't work very well. But this time, it is working and I think the main difference is No-s. This is a program/plan/diet whatever you want to call it that makes the fight in my head over whether to have junk or not moot on non-S days. That was something that derailed me quite often before.

It may take forever to lose enough to go down a size, but once I do it, then I know I will STAY in that size or go lower - but not go back UP!
5'9 -- Laura --

Girl Next Door

Post by Girl Next Door » Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:44 am

frugaltexan wrote:This is a program/plan/diet whatever you want to call it that makes the fight in my head over whether to have junk or not moot on non-S days. That was something that derailed me quite often before.
That sounds like a key observation.

Looks like your efforts are starting to show on the outside. Congratulations!

frugaltexan

Post by frugaltexan » Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:07 am

Thanks Girl Next Door :D

Day 7 - Sunday

It's chilly outside. This weekend the neighbors got to see my cold weather walk the dog clothes. :D Good thing I don't care what they think about me.

Picture: bright orange shorts with bleach spots (thanks Mom!) with both pockets bulging due to a plastic grocery bag, worn over long black spandex pants + a 20 year old sweatshirt ..... and on my feet .... sandals! :D

Then of course add in the Beagle/Bassett Hound mix dog who is walking mostly behind me, and sometimes next to me, and the Chihuahua/Terrier mix dog who is mostly walking in front of me. We make quite the spectacle. :o

Kayla (the Beagle/Bassett) is getting faster and gaining endurance. I added a block to our walk this week, and I think she could have done one more. She's so funny - its like she knows that the walking is helping her lose weight and have more energy - and she's super eager to go on them and try to keep up with her "sister" dog.[/url]
5'9 -- Laura --

frugaltexan

Post by frugaltexan » Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:42 am

Day 8 - Monday
5'9 -- Laura --

frugaltexan

Post by frugaltexan » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:25 am

Day 9 - Tuesday
5'9 -- Laura --

Girl Next Door

Post by Girl Next Door » Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:04 am

Keep up the good work!
Girl Next Door
"Don't I know you from somewhere?"

12/31/10 - 177
10/14/12 - 167
Healthy Range - 113-141

frugaltexan

Post by frugaltexan » Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:34 am

Hmm... I'm taking today as a NWS day.

Release day of the question for our mid-term research paper - due next Wednesday. Totally off day - stopped at dollar store to pick up highlighters and saw individual wrapped Lindt truffles .... decided to make it an NWS day. Hadn't had one since beg. of Sept.

Having those truffles wasn't really great. I mean, they were good, but it didn't feel right eating them on a non-s day or for a really special occasion. And then I ate some other junky foods I usually keep for the weekends - didn't over do, but didn't keep to the three meals standard or the no sweets.

on second thought, I think it would be cheating to call this a NWS day. It wasn't planned in advance, and there wasn't really a good reason.

So ... tomorrow will be Day 1 of my third 21.
5'9 -- Laura --

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:05 pm

That is so like I would have been thinking. You know last week when I had a red day? I mentioned I sometimes have dark chocolate after a meal. This time I ate it and without thinking, I had a bit more. Even though I had less all together than I do some days all at once, but to me it was a 'fail' because I did it mindlessly.

frugaltexan

Post by frugaltexan » Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:16 am

Well .... tomorrow will be Day 1.

Le sigh.

I will say no to chocolate tomorrow!
5'9 -- Laura --

Girl Next Door

Post by Girl Next Door » Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:25 am

frugaltexan wrote:Well .... tomorrow will be Day 1.
That's it - just keep going. I had an oops today too. I love what Anne Shirley (Anne of Green Gables) said - "Tomorrow is a brand new day with no mistakes in it."
Girl Next Door

12/31/10 - 177
10/14/12 - 167
Healthy Range - 113-141

buttercreampillow

Post by buttercreampillow » Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:07 am

Hi, Laura!

You are being very intellectually honest with yourself by not calling your truffle day a NWS day. Being honest is so clean and straightforward. You are smart to do that.

Congrats on the weight loss, too! Having people notice always gives me a shot of motivation.

What's your research paper about?

buttercream
Natural Eater

frugaltexan

Post by frugaltexan » Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:55 am

Day 1 - Friday

Thanks Girl Next Door - I love that Anne quote!

Buttercream - It's on Ethics - Privacy in the Library (Patrons expectation of, whether we really have a right to it, and the reality of it thanks to Patriot Act, etc.) We have to have at least 6 sources - I could have made the paper with just 4 - the two extra may force me to add a bit on technology privacy - I just have 900 - 1100 words, so have to keep it focused as possible.
5'9 -- Laura --

buttercreampillow

Post by buttercreampillow » Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:02 am

That sounds very interesting! The library is certainly a different place from the silent tomb my mother used to take me when I was a little girl. Good luck -- I'm sure it'll be great!

buttercream
Natural Eater

frugaltexan

Post by frugaltexan » Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:07 am

Thanks :) I'm a little nervous about writing it ... but I just have to do it and then it'll be easier the next time. Right?

:D
5'9 -- Laura --

buttercreampillow

Post by buttercreampillow » Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:51 am

You'll do great. And yes, it will get easier every time. When I was working on my master's in history, I completely freaked out the first time I was assigned a 10 page paper. It seemed insurmountable. By the time I finished a couple of years later, I could whip out a 15 page paper without batting an eye. You'll get that way, too. :D
Natural Eater

frugaltexan

Post by frugaltexan » Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:03 am

Thanks Buttercream. :) I finished my first draft on Sunday, and it wasn't really as horribly hard as I was making it out to be in my head.

Day 2 & 3 - Saturday, Sunday

Day 4 - Monday

Tonight my landlady ordered Pizza Hut pizza and invited me to share in their meal. I only ate two pieces and was satisfied. Both my landlady and her daughter ate 4 or more each.

Later we were watching tv, and both of them were complaining about not feeling great - the mom was saying she felt like it was heartburn. On the other hand, I felt just fine. :) Thanks No-s!
5'9 -- Laura --

frugaltexan

Post by frugaltexan » Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:18 am

Day 5 - Tuesday
5'9 -- Laura --

Girl Next Door

Post by Girl Next Door » Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:43 am

Sucess! Keep up the good work!
Girl Next Door

12/31/10 - 177
10/14/12 - 167
Healthy Range - 113-141

frugaltexan

Post by frugaltexan » Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:37 am

Thanks Girl Next Door!

Day 6 - Wednesday

I was really not feeling very good today at all. In fact I pretty much slept until about 2:30 when one of the dogs came in my room and whined/begged until I got up ... and took both dogs for their walk. I needed to get up and going anyway so I could finish the final draft of my paper.

I ate breakfast around 9 am this morning (in the attempt to get going - but went back to bed instead.) Then didn't eat again until 9 pm after I submitted my final draft.

I have some Nutella left from the weekend which I thought about today. Especially when I was getting very stressed out with the internet connection going in and out on me while trying to finish my paper. The Nutella stayed where it was.
5'9 -- Laura --

frugaltexan

Post by frugaltexan » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:25 am

Day 7 - Thursday
5'9 -- Laura --

buttercreampillow

Post by buttercreampillow » Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:05 am

Sounds like your day of turning in your paper was full of drama! Congrats on getting it done--let me know how you do!

Sorry you weren't feeling well yesterday--hope today was better.

buttercream
Natural Eater

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:10 pm

frugaltexan wrote:
I have some Nutella left from the weekend which I thought about today. Especially when I was getting very stressed out with the internet connection going in and out on me while trying to finish my paper. The Nutella stayed where it was.
Very impressive :)

frugaltexan

Post by frugaltexan » Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:48 am

Thanks :) I am feeling better today. I laid off exercise, other than walking the dogs, since Monday.

Day 8 - Friday
5'9 -- Laura --

frugaltexan

Post by frugaltexan » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:25 am

Day 9 - Saturday
Day 10 - Sunday
Day 11 - Monday

On Friday I bought a box of donut holes from the sale rack, and also bought a Chocolate Chip Muffin. I ate the muffin on Saturday (was basically a late lunch) and had a few of the donut holes. I really didn't like them very much even though they were chocolate (maybe it was the cakey way they were made??) I threw the remainder of the donuts away, and have decided I'm probably not going to buy the muffin anymore. It just wasn't as good as I usually think of it being.

I also bought a bag of Bugles on Sunday. I didn't eat very many of them because they just weren't that good, plus I wasn't all that hungry.

I'm finding that I probably could do with just two meals most days. N days or S days.

Last week I made it through 5 N days with half a jar of Nutella still in the house. This week I have a pint of ice cream I bought to eat, but ended up not even opening. It will stay in the freezer until it is legal. :)
5'9 -- Laura --

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:17 am

Two weeks ago I found out M&Ms really don't taste good at all. I'd be happy never to have them again.

Strange how that works out, isn't it?