HowFunIsThat - The Daily Blub

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

howfunisthat

HowFunIsThat - The Daily Blub

Post by howfunisthat » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:25 pm

I told myself I wouldn't start another check-in again until I was sure I was going to dive in with both feet. I've had almost four weeks of green & yellow days so I don't know what I've been waiting for. I'm here...I'm ready to work hard...I'm going to win this battle.

Not eating birthday cupcakes or decorations last night was a huge success for me. I haven't decided if I'll take today as a yellow day or save my cupcake for Saturday but I'm not going to stress about it. My sweet daughter is four today...reason to have a delightful day!

I'm not sure where to start counting so I'll go with the last 25 days I've charted on HabitCal....

I'm off to make Day 26 a success!

janie
Nothing worthwhile is ever easy...

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:33 pm

Kudos Janie! Enjoy your little girl's special day! :D
Restarted No S (3rd times a charm!) January 2010 at 145 lbs

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:38 pm

More power to ya! And... freeze the cake, you'll feel so much better if you wait!
I guess this doesn't work unless you actually do it.
Please pray for me

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:41 pm

Glad to see you back! You were missed.

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:30 pm

It's so nice to have been missed! It's good to be back, it really is.

I feel as if I've changed a lot in the past year or so. I'm still angry at myself a lot because of the years & years of bad habits...but at I do find myself being less frantic about the whole weight loss journey. I'm not going to quit....not going to give up....

Yesterday was delightful....today is going to be a lovely shade of GREEN! That will make 28 great days in a row....

janie

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:15 pm

Day 28 was GREEN. It's definitely my favorite color these days.

janie

masher

Post by masher » Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:26 pm

Congratulations on your GREEN Day!

Keeping 28 days is impressive. I am on day 8 now, but committed to get to at least 21. Nice to see others making progress with the greens.

Your daily check in sounds happy!

Masher

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:26 pm

Hi Masher...

Thanks for popping in. I wish I could say this is my first try at success here...but I have a lifetime of bad eating habits to break & it's taking me a while to conquer them. I have to say, though, this time around is a great deal easier than the last. Someone here once mentioned that what we're doing here is learning to maintain our weight before it even comes off all the way....and that's exactly what it feels like. If this process takes me years, I'm not giving up.

Anyway...thanks again for your well-wishes.

janie

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:41 pm

Yesterday was a relatively easy GREEN day. I know they won't all be that easy, but it's nice to have one once in awhile. I'm sitting here before breakfast on Day 29 with my stomach growling. I LOVE the sound of it being empty...well...I love it for awhile anyway....I do intend on eating soon!

janie

Pamela

Thanks!

Post by Pamela » Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:52 pm

Hi Janie!

I was reading Princesspamf's check-in and saw the note you passed on from another that we're learning how to maintain our weight first so we can have lasting success ...

This is a wonderful insight, and I really appreciate your passing it on! I'm stilll rather a newbie around here, and am so grateful for the many kind souls like you who are so generous with their time and wisdom sharing what they've learned along the way!

Wishing you peace and joy, and belated Happy Birthday to your little one. (My youngest will enjoy his August birthday, too, soon ... but he's turning TWELVE!!! Yikes! Where does the time go?)
Hopeful and grateful,
Pamela

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:11 pm

Hi Pamela,

Thanks for dropping in. I'm glad the "maintenance" comment was encouraging to you. It always helps me when I'm struggling to keep on track.

I'm with you...I have no idea where the time goes! We are thrilled to have our little girl turn 4...and we have three teen boys too! Matt is the oldest, at 18, and I'm dropping him at college in just one week for his freshman year. The others are 16 and 14. Thankfully all of them just eat naturally.... well.... there doesn't seem anything natural about the AMOUNT teen boys eat! They've never had difficulties with their weight & I'm so grateful.

Thanks again Pamela...have a great day!

janie

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:14 pm

Oops...I forgot to check in.

I didn't like yesterday at all. It was Sunday and still YELLOW, but it wasn't a very controlled day & made me remember how much I hated that "I'm going to eat stuff even if I'm not hungry" feeling. Thankfully it wasn't a horrible day and it was a good reminder of why I'm doing this....to be free of days like that.

So....yesterday is over...today is another day...and it WILL be green! Day 31, here I come!!!!

jaine

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:11 pm

Yesterday was GREEN...but not an easy one. I think Mondays are the hardest days to keep green after a yellow weekend. BUT, it was definitely green & that's a great feeling. I'm concerned about traveling next week, but I have to take this one day at a time. I have another week before I leave so I really want another week of green days before I battle the vacation mode.

I really would love to have a green cape....I can see myself flying off to save the day...to make it green! Here I go....Day 32 I'm on my way!!!

janie

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:27 am

I just logged another GREEN for yesterday. I've been going back & forth so much for the past several months & finally feel as if I'm solidly back on track. And it feels wonderful. I'm sure there are struggles ahead, but right now this is encouraging...and freeing...and so very hopeful!

I'm eating a frozen Capri Sun every evening & it's making such a difference. It's just a drink, but I look forward to it so much that it's making the hardest part of my day - evenings - really easy.

Off to make some oatmeal & conquer Day 33....

janie

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:43 pm

Day 33 was GREEN....a lovely green. We took the kids to Lake Ontario & ate at our favorite greasy spoon. We stopped for ice cream on the way home & I didn't even have a lick...AND...here's the best part - my four-year old is smart enough at four to stop eating when she's full. I put that cup of perfectly good ice cream exactly where it belonged...in the trash! Can you believe THAT? Maybe even better than putting it in the trash, was the fact that it wasn't even difficult to do! I didn't struggle or waver...I just threw it away. Amazing. Sure wish there was a neon green color for the Habitcal, 'cause I felt as if yesterday was super-green!

Day 34 I'm on the way...

janie

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:01 pm

I am also working my second time around with NoS. I know some have said that it has taken them several times of starting and stopping to get in the groove. I really had very little trouble the first time. Now I identify with all those who have failure days. It really does help to read the boards and so I hope my posts actually will help others, too.

Capri Sun was on sale at WalMart with the back to school supplies so I bought a box and am trying the frozen Capri Sun this evening or maybe mid afternoon. Hunger is never really my problem...I just have a lifelong habit of turning to food for comfort. When I got this habit down before, it just automatically took care of substituting food for comfort....no option was there. When I was counting I could always come up with low points or zero point foods to use!

Continue to post and have a good N day.

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:47 pm

TexArk...

Thanks so much for dropping in! I understand what you mean about the "food for comfort" statement. It's such a difficult habit to break! We'll get there though...I truly believe we'll be free of this very soon!

Thanks again!
janie

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:00 pm

I get to chart another GREEN for yesterday! YEAH!!! I took kids to be beach yesterday & didn't eat their snacks....even though they were yummy snacks (well, most were...I wasn't tempted by the gummi worms). I was VERY hungry before dinner, but just had a huge glass of iced tea. And I was VERY tempted to have a snack before bed, but instead had a frozen Capri Sun. Success tastes so much better than snacks!

I'm under no illusion that my struggles are over...they are hiding, gearing up to attack me when I least expect it, but for today I'm going to believe that I will, indeed, conquer this life-long food disfunction. Today will be green. I'll think about tomorrow when it gets here....but today will be successful.

janie

buttercreampillow

Post by buttercreampillow » Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:38 am

Hi, Janie!

Reading your check-in reminds me that I will have occassions when No S is hard. I've had such an easy week that it's easy to lose sight of that fact. But you're doing great! You're being strong and winning!

Buttercreampillow
Natural Eater

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:31 pm

Buttercreampillow...

Thanks for stopping in! It's such a help to know we're all in this together, isn't it?

janie

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:37 pm

Yesterday was Green again. That makes 5 weeks in a row without any red. I couldn't be happier. Well, I really would be happier if I'd not struggled to keep on track all winter...but that's water under the brownie bridge.

I'm a bit worried about my upcoming trip. I never do well when I'm driving long-distances...always turn to snacks to keep myself from getting drowsy. I do have my son on the way and we love to chat together, and I have a couple of books on CD for the way back if I can get my 4-year old to put on earphones & watch a couple of DVD's. I'm dropping my oldest at school for his freshman year and then visiting with my sister in Asheville....I'm so looking forward to it...I just don't want to get derailed again.

Enough thoughts about next week....TODAY is the day I'm going to concentrate on. It's going to be a great one!

janie

mimi

Post by mimi » Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:53 pm

I think you'll be fine howfunisthat because you're being proactive. You already have some strategies to use in place - and that's half the battle, I think. Going into something blindly is where you get into trouble!
And you're right, don't worry about next week - be happy. Live today and let tomorrow take care of tomorrow.

Mimi :D
Discovered NoS: April 16, 2007
Restarted once again: July 14, 2011
Quitting is not an option...
If you start to slip, tie a knot and hang on!
Remember that good enough is... good enough.
Strive for progress, not perfection!

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:41 pm

Thanks Mimi! I can't look ahead. Doing that just trips me up again & again. So I'll not think about it. I hope you have a great day today too!

janie

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:46 pm

You can do a road trip without snacks. It makes your vacation meals taste sooo much better.
I have to travel long distances to my family and for years I have relieved the boredom with snacking. The rest stops had such handy items even if I didn't pack healthy snacks along. But the last few trips since NoS I just went cold turkey and applied the no snack rule. I did drink lots of coffee however and listen to CDs and radio and chewed gum like crazy. I don't have the excuse of small children in the car. I'll admit I have problems if I have to "handle the merchandise."

Good luck.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:09 pm

Wow you are doing great Janie!!! :D
Good for you!!! :wink:
8) Debs x
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

buttercreampillow

Post by buttercreampillow » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:58 pm

Road trip! Sounds like fun!

One thing that keeps me from permasnacking when I drive (before No S) is that I hate that feeling of never being hungry and arriving feeling kind of sick from all the junk food. Hope you're able to impress yourself with your steadfast adherence to No S!

buttercreampillow
Natural Eater

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:33 pm

Hi everyone....thanks for dropping in!

The ideal for me would be not to snack in the car, but I'm not sure I can accomplish that yet. I'm taking one hurdle at a time and this one is not one that I feel ready to tackle. I'm heading to my sister's house so sticking with NoS on the days I'm there will be relatively easy...there won't be any dinners out or anything. I have a plan to take healthy snacks in the car...fruit & veggies, etc. And, as I think about the trip, I'm going to try and keep the drives snack-free, but if I don't succeed, I'd rather have the possibility of a legal Yellow available than stress over creating a Red day.

Oh...and I forgot to mention the reason this trip will be more emotional...how could I forget??? I'm driving our oldest to college! This is his freshman year & he'll be nine hours away from home. He's a wonderful young man (I'm kinda partial), and I know I'm going to cry half the way home, but I'm going to refrain from holding onto his ankles as he walks to his dorm!

I really believe that sometime I'll be a snack-free traveler....I'm just still a driving wimp! And I actually think I'm okay with that this week!

Thanks so much for your input and support...it means more to me than I can tell you.

janie
Last edited by howfunisthat on Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:36 pm

Oops...when I get long-winded i always forget to do the check-in part. Yesterday was Saturday, but I made it a GREEN day instead. I know moving them around isn't recommended, but this is my only tweek of the plan. I'm banking my weekend greens for this coming week of traveling. I don't feel deprived at all.

So...I'm off to work on day 37.

janie

buttercreampillow

Post by buttercreampillow » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:56 pm

Well, you're certainly taking the right tack. If you don't feel ready to tackle it, it would definitely be the right move to just plan for an S day, and let it go, just like I've had to let it go about the coffee.

Have fun, and try not to cry at the dorm! :) In two years, I'll be where you are, except that I'll be dropping my twins off, and then there will only be me in the house. Wah! :)
Natural Eater

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:26 pm

Buttercreampillow...

Thanks for dropping in. Having two leave for college will be hard! I can't imagine going from two in the house to an empty nest all at once. I have three more birds and I'm still going to have a hard time. I know I'll cry, and my son knows I'll cry, but other moms over thousands of years have survived worse. I have a great relationship with Matt so I truly have nothing to complain about.

And thanks for the encouragement about the snacking for the trip. Just knowing that I don't have to stress about it is helping a lot. I'm actually hoping to not snack at all on the smaller leg of the trip, but if I don't succeed I'll still have a Yellow to spend on it...and that helps so much.

Thanks again!

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:33 pm

Day 37 was GREEN. I know it's not recommended, but my plan was to make the weekend green & use those two yellows on my trip this week. Saturday was a breeze, but I was concerned about yesterday. My son had a few friends over before I drop him at school and I made a decadent chocolate cake with nuts & caramel, etc. I didn't lick the spoons...I didn't lick the serving fork...I didn't eat any of it. Get this - I DIDN'T WANT ANY! This was a VERY unusual event. On any other day I would have had a piece and then probably another piece while cleaning up the kitchen with just my dog as a witness. I didn't have any...didn't want any...didn't feel deprived...didn't even think about it much at all, except to be shocked that cake just didn't matter last night. No one blinked an eye when I said I was full and didn't care for any. I don't think anyone noticed....except me...and I'm still thrilled!

Today will be green, then I'll pack the car & head south.

Day 38, here I come...I'm ready to succeed.

janie

masher

Post by masher » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:44 pm

howfunisthat wrote:Day 37 was GREEN. I didn't have any...didn't want any...didn't feel deprived...didn't even think about it much at all, except to be shocked that cake just didn't matter last night. No one blinked an eye when I said I was full and didn't care for any. I don't think anyone noticed....except me...and I'm still thrilled!

Day 38, here I come...I'm ready to succeed.

janie
Tremendous achievement! Well done - isn't this what we would all like to experience??!!

Love your attitude too -"Ready to succeed". I feel the same way after reading your check in - so THANK YOU.

Masher

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:09 pm

Masher,

How kind of you to drop by. It IS what we all want...freedom from this food/dieting/weighing/eating thing. I just want to enjoy food when I'm hungry & have the freedom to walk away from it when I'm full...and not think about it in the middle. THAT would be freedom!

We're getting there...one meal at a time.

Thanks again for the encouragement, Masher.

Janie

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:16 am

Another GREEN yesterday. I'm thrilled to be here...thrilled to be back on track again. It feels wonderful.

I'm taking our oldest to college today...nine hours away from home. He wonderful. We'll miss him terribly & I'm having a hard time believing he's 18. Time just flies away. He's more mature than I was when I went to school & I know he'll thrive...I'll just miss him so much. Sigh....I'm sure I'll survive just like all the other moms of freshman students.

Here comes Day 40...I'm ready...

janie

mimi

Post by mimi » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:46 am

Just popping in to let you know that I'm thinking about you Janie while you're on your trip taking your son to college. It's hard, I know...did it twice with my boys (and my youngest son moved nineteen times while he was in college and co-oping...we got to be moving *pros*). My daughter went to college locally and lived at home for 3 of the 4 years (we have 3 large universities in the area and a community college!). Now they're all out and live in close proximity - the farthest is about an hour's drive away!
Hope you were successful with your snacking and driving!
Talk to you soon!

buttercreampillow

Post by buttercreampillow » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:59 am

((Janie)) -- that's a hug!
Natural Eater

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:28 am

Thanks so much for the hugs & support! I'm at my sister's house after dropping my son on Tuesday. I'll see him tomorrow on my way back north & then leave him to start classes on Monday.

I've done fine with eating. I've snacked, but eaten very few sweets. I did call my sister after I dropped my son & told her I couldn't believe I didn't bring any chocolate on my trip! I did buy chocolate on my way to her house, but ended up splitting just one chocolate bar with her. I felt wonderful to feel in control. Today was GREEN with very little effort. My typical pattern after a trip has been to completely give up...but not this time. I'm just plain refusing to believe anything except the fact that I'm going to succeed. I have two more days with the option of having them be Yellow...then I'm back to routine days. I'm just not giving up. I will win this battle...period.

I'm bushed...off to get some rest.

janie

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:09 pm

I'm back home after the week of traveling. It was an emotional week & was difficult. I know I'll survive having my oldest at school, but it was difficult to leave him. He's ready...he's mature enough...I'm confident he'll thrive...it was just hard to do it. And my sister has been a widow for a bit over a year & is struggling....she misses her husband so much. He was a wonderful man & we miss him too. It was a great visit...but it's never without tears from both of us.

Eating was fine. I'm SO glad I moved around a couple of yellows so that I didn't have to have eating issues to deal with on top of the other ones. Today I'll be back to green & that doesn't scare me at all. I have another two weeks before we meet some friends in CT for a few days and I'll do the same thing...move around a few September yellows so that the weekend falls in the middle of the week. I know this isn't recommended, but after a lifetime of eating disfunction, if moving yellows around for awhile helps me have 5 days of green a week, I'm gonna do it and not feel bad. This is working for me & anything that's working is worth keeping!

Off to work on a green day!

janie

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:45 pm

Day 47 was a lovely shade of Green - my favorite.

I've had a cold for a few days & I'm pretty tired of coughing. If I can just get some sleep sometime today I think I'll feel better. I'm determined to make today green though...with a cold...without a cold...we're going to win this....and today will be a great day...

janie

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:57 am

I wanted to snack in the worst way last night! I was hungry & tired & wanted my daughter's goldfish. BUT, I didn't touch them. I practically ran out of the kitchen and didn't go back in there...I succeeded, and that feels wonderful.

Day 47, here I come. If conquered yesterday, I can do it again today.

janie

mimi

Post by mimi » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:58 pm

I know this isn't recommended, but after a lifetime of eating disfunction, if moving yellows around for awhile helps me have 5 days of green a week, I'm gonna do it and not feel bad. This is working for me & anything that's working is worth keeping!
And that's it exactly and why NoS is so great! The rules are simple and broad enough so that if you need to make personal adjustments you can. You are the only one living your life and you HAVE to use what works for you. I'm just so tickled for you that you've discovered a technique that helps you to have your five green days!

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:37 pm

Mimi...Thanks for the encouragement. Being able to move my yellows this month seemed essential to me. I couldn't imagine dropping my oldest at college and stressing about not snacking at the same time. I know I would have snacked anyway & then come home feeling defeated. I came home & walked right back into the routine...and that felt great!

Hope you're having a wonderful day...janie

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:24 pm

Day 47 was GREEN. I struggled with wanting to be discouraged...not with the color of my calendar, but with wanting to see more results faster. This trips me up every time so I need to be careful not to let that feeling overtake me.

I succeeded yesterday...I will do it again today....and worry about the next day later...

Just one more day....

janie

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:41 pm

GREEN is a fabulous color...

Last night I made a cake my family described as "Six stars out of five". chocolate....peanut butter...nuts....Resees pieces crumbled. And guess what? I didn't have any. Not a bite....not a half bite....not a piece sliced into really tiny pieces so I would be trying to fool myself into believing it didn't count. Nope...I said, "I'm still full from dinner". AND...THEY BELIEVED ME! AND....NO ONE CARED! This is quite amazing....truly.

This not-eating-dessert-when-I-shouldn't-have thing is timed very well as I'm trying very hard to not be discouraged. The discouragement thing gets me every single time & I just don't want to fail. I want to concentrate on keeping the rules and worrying about the scale later. I'm going to the "Y", I'm keeping my green days green and my yellows yellow so I have to just believe those are the important issues for now. The weight will come off. I'm often hungry so I know I'm not eating too much.

Today is going to be a lovely yellow...not orange...not red....

janie

kccc

Post by kccc » Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:32 pm

That sounds like AWESOME progress!

Isn't it liberating when you realize that you can choose not to eat because you actually don't want to? What a mind-blowing concept! :)

princesspamf

Post by princesspamf » Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:03 am

Isn't it liberating when you realize that you can choose not to eat because you actually don't want to? What a mind-blowing concept!
KCCC, this is so true and I can hardly believe that I am experiencing it. Me! I have watched other folks...seemed like always my thin friends = )...but now I feel that way. So strange. I love it, but it is such a strange feeling. Wonderful, but so very strange!! Did I mention how strange it feels???!!

Have enjoyed reading your posts tonight, Janie. You're doing great and have really encouraged me. I appreciate how you make it work when the routine of life changes for a bit.

Let's keep moving forward. I love those green days, too!
Pam
Do or do not. There is not "try". ~Yoda in:
The Empire Strikes Back

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:38 pm

Hi KCCC & Pam,

What a great adventure we're on, isn't it? And what a concept - freedom to NOT eat when we don't want to! I'm just shaking my head over that one...seems too good to be true! LOL...

I survived the weekend with Yellow days. I ate more than I probably should have, but the days were yellow...not red or orange so I'm back to working on a green day today. I may not be as disiplined about the weekends as I'd like, but I'm trying not to beat myself up about it. It's getting easier to move back to green days without struggling much so I'll try not to dwell on anything other than the day at hand.

My goal today is to conquer today....if I can do that, I can conquer tomorrow too....

janie

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:17 pm

Yesterday was GREEN....and today will be too. It wasn't an easy day yesterday, but that doesn't matter now. I stayed green & now it's a green square on my calendar. Today will be another....then I'll be back tomorrow...

I just realized that I sound like a coach before a game...but that's what it is, isn't it? I must learn to be the best coach I can be...and coaches don't talk about the next 45 games while they are in the middle of this one. They talk about THIS game...THIS play...THIS fight. So...today I fight for today. It will be green....I will win it.

janie

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:10 pm

I remember coaches urging a player to get his head in the game. That is what we have to tell ourselves too, right? Get your head in the game. One plate at a time...I guess the yogis talk about "the moment." But that is my problem sometimes...always counting and looking ahead. Think of all the diets where we used to calculate what we would weigh on a certain date. As Scripture says, "Don't worry about tomorrow. Tomorrow has enough troubles of its own."

So you can be the coach and LALoser is already the cheerleader.

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:43 pm

Hi TexArk,

Love that verse. I have friends who are dealing with a much more serious situation than eating....their son has a fatal disease, but they absolutely live by that verse, believing that living by today's grace is where they should be. Their journey has been so difficult, yet so inspiring to so many people. We have grace for today....just today....

Anyway...thanks for the encouragement...today was a great day for some!

janie

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:46 pm

Another GREEN day yesterday, even though I REALLY wanted more crashed potatoes! I could have covered my dinner plate with just crashed potatoes and been happy as a clam, but I didn't.

I'm off to the "Y" for some exersize....and to get away from the kitchen!

janie

buttercreampillow

Post by buttercreampillow » Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:41 pm

Just popping in to say "Hi!" Hope you have a good workout at the Y.

buttercreampillow
Natural Eater

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:14 pm

GREEN day yesterday. That makes...I don't know... a lot of green & yellow days. I'm hanging on by a thead though today. I'm trying really hard not to be discouraged that I'm not losing more weight. I am absolutely convinced that the only way to beat this is to take one day at a time & conquer them. And every day I finish green or yellow is a victory, but I sure would LOVE to see some more evidence soon.

Today will be green...I will NOT fall off the wagon today. I will hold on and survive today...I'll think about tomorrow, tomorrow.

janie

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:31 pm

howfunisthat wrote:Today will be green...I will NOT fall off the wagon today. I will hold on and survive today...I'll think about tomorrow, tomorrow.
Congrats on the greens. That's VERY good.

Fortunately, chances are good you WILL survive today, even if you cheat. So the stakes are THAT high, barring someone releasing a tiger into your home or something.

But yes, you can refrain from snacking, eating sweets or having extra food for ONE day. You've proved you can. You've DONE it. Isn't that cool? A goal you've proven you can achieve because you've already DONE this before.
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:30 pm

Noel,

Thanks for dropping by. Nope, there weren't any tigers let loose in my house yesterday! The roof didn't cave in and I didn't get swallowed up by a huge taco salad...lol. And you're right...I survived. Not only did I survive, but it was another GREEN day!

And what a great perspective - I'm just trying to complete another green day...just another another one in a thankfully long line of them. If I accomplished a green day yesterday, I can do it again...today.

Thanks again Noel...I hope you have a great green day...

janie

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:14 pm

NoelFigart wrote: Isn't that cool? A goal you've proven you can achieve because you've already DONE this before.
Noel, I really like this!

Janie, glad you avoided the tigers, lol! :)

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:36 pm

Thanks for dropping by everyone....it's always so encouraging to know we're all being cheered on.

I didn't just have a GREEN day yesterday, I had a Great and FABULOUS GREEN day! I started a thread entitled, "What Didn't You Eat?" because I went to the NYS fair and didn't eat a funnel cake...or a fried Snickers bar...or ice cream... or french fries...I ate pizza for dinner and decided I just didn't WANT anything else. I think I'm still in shock that NOTHING at the fair tempted me to eat what I really shouldn't have.

If I could make yesterday at the fair green, then watch out, 'cause I'm gonna rack up a whole lot more...

janie

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:06 pm

Yes, indeed, you can.

That's very good.
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:37 pm

Thanks Noel!

Yesterday was Green. Sometimes I switch my yellows around if I know the week holds something I'd like to enjoy, but this time I really didn't have a great plan for making yesterday green...it just kind of happened. I wasn't feeling very well & by evening I realized the day had been green. This is good...this is encouraging...this is really, really weird. I hate to say anything outloud, but it sure seems as if I've turned a corner with NoS...and I have about a MILLION more corner to turn....BUT...it seems as if I don't feel this awful compulsion to eat just because I can. My greens seem easier and my yellows are becoming closer to what a green is....and this is an amazing transformation. It may not seem to be for some, but with a background of years & years of binging, this is wonderful & bizaar at the some time. How DO you spell "bizaar" anyway?

janie

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:22 pm

Bizarre=strange
bazaar=Arabic open air market
------

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:57 pm

Thanks Noel...my life might be crazy....but it's definitely not an Arabic open air market :lol:

janie

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:10 pm

Another GREEN day yesterday, even though it was a Sunday. I'm heading out of town tomorrow to visit friends & I'll just used the yellows up on that mini-vacation, if I want to. It feels nice to have the extra days in case we take the kids for ice cream or watch a movie together with popcorn.

Today will be green....period. No thinking about tomorrow...no thinking about the scale...just one more green day...that's it. Today I will succeed.

janie

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:27 am

I made cookies yesterday. Chocolate Chunk Macadamia Coconut Cookies....not a wimpy little cookie...a big, chewy chocolaty gob of deliciousness. My boys told me they were "Dreadful" to help me not eat them. Well, also if they convinced me they were dreadful, they know I wouldn't eat any and they would be able to eat more! But, I didn't eat one. I didn't lick the spoon, and I didn't eat a crumb that had fallen off onto the counter. We're heading out of town today to see friends in CT for a few days and I had a totally green weekend so that I could have a couple of yellow days in the middle of the week for the visit. Yesterday wasn't even on the struggle scale. I knew what I was doing...knew I didn't want to eat a cookie...and I didn't! I really shouldn't type this out loud, but I really am beginning to believe I'll beat this disfunctional eating thing this time. I know there are struggles ahead....but I do think I'm finally, FINALLY getting it...and it feels wonderful.

janie

princesspamf

Post by princesspamf » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:24 pm

WooHoo!!! Yeah! Yahoodoodles! Celebrating with you!!!
Isn't it wonderful to have that sense that you can carry this on!
Enjoy your time with friends! You're making great choices!
Pam
Do or do not. There is not "try". ~Yoda in:
The Empire Strikes Back

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:34 pm

Pam, Thanks for dropping in...it's wonderful to feel cheered on!

janie

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:40 pm

I'm back from our 4-day mini-vacation, and I couldn't be more encouraged. Usually I come back from a vacation and feel as if I have to climb some sort of cliff to get back to where I should be...but this time it just wasn't difficult at all. I used my two yellow days that I'd switched from last weekend and so I had two green days and two yellow days while I was gone. I ate out, ate reasonably, had no desserts except the cookies I brought to share, and I had no desire at all to snack. This whole journey is just the strangest experience!

Today I'm back home, back to yellow weekends & green weekdays. I don't do any more traveling until early October & that feels good. This morning I'm off to the grocery store & library...then I'll get the family unpacked. Going on vacation is fun, but it's always wonderful to be home.

Green day here I come!
janie

buttercreampillow

Post by buttercreampillow » Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:22 pm

Janie, it's wonderful to read your thread and see your joy and awe that you are becoming the natural eater you long to be! You are doing so well--hope you enjoy yourself and enjoy being free from the guilt and chaos of binging!

buttercreampillow
Natural Eater

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:32 pm

Hi Buttercream,

It's what we all want, isn't it? - Being free from the guilt and chaos! I was in the grocery story yesterday, thinking about this very thing. Yes, I want to lose weight, but even more than that I want to be rid of these cycles of binging and dieting....and the compulsion to beat myself up when I fail....which used to happen on a daily basis for most of my life. The weight lose is slow, but as long as I'm making headway in the habits, I'm thrilled.

Thanks for your encouragement...being cheered on is such a gift....

janie

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:43 pm

Oops...forgot to check in again.

All is well....yesterday was yellow & I'm feeling encouraged & ready to start another day.

janie

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:42 pm

Sunday was Yellow....and I'm glad today is going to be green. I'm eating far less on the weekends than I used to, but I still don't like the fact that I'm eating more than I need. I'll work on those yellows...but not today...today is green & if I can conquer today, I can conquer any day....

janie

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:47 pm

GREEN day yesterday...but I was very tempted to snack. Whenever I get to a point where I feel I'm encouraged & doing well I get these thoughts of "It's just a little snack", or "One handful won't be a big deal." Well, I know EXACTLY what happens after I start thinking that way....a downward slide back to where I was in the first place....uncontrolled eating! Yesterday I was tempted, but I didn't let the stress of the day (a $300 broken piece of equipment for my bead-making) push me over the edge. I practically RAN out of the kitchen 'cause I will NOT fail this time. This is my time...this is my success story...this is not going to be another failure...period. There....my self-pep talk is done for the morning. :lol:

I'm off to have a green Tuesday!

janie

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:16 pm

GREEN day for yesterday....and it wasn't a struggle at all....phew. I'm just not thinking ahead at all these days & I think that's really helping. I'm not trying to figure out how long it will be until my smaller jeans fit...I'm not thinking about whether I can buy some new clothes by my birthday...I'm trying to focus on today...just eating well today. I used to get so tripped up by thinking about how quickly I could get some weight off & since I know that drives me crazy, I've got to keep my mind on nothing else but being healthy today. So...I'm off to make TODAY another green day!

janie

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:17 pm

I love coming here and saying, "Yesterday was a GREEN day. One might think that it gets so boring to say the same thing every day, but it's DELIGHTFUL!

Yesterday I plated my meal with a normal amount and didn't finish it! YEE HAA!!! It was yummy...I was full....and I stopped. This is just so strange...odd things are occurring...I'm choosing not to eat at times. Again, very, very odd.....

Green Thursday here I come.
janie

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:34 pm

This is my first time dropping in on your check-in and I've gotta agree with you on the crash potatoes. *sigh*

How long have you been a NoSer?

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:39 am

Dandelion,

Thanks for stopping by!

Before I'll tell you how long I've been doing this, I'll tell you that I've struggled with food disfunction all my life - literally. I was only heavy by about 5 pounds at age 5 but from then on I was addicted to food, and eventually to binging, and dieting. In other words, I have a lot of food baggage. I don't mean to sound as if I have the worst story, but I have enough emotional garbage associated with food that I've never, ever eaten normally or been free of obsessive thoughts about food.

That said, I started No S in the summer of 2008 and did really well for a few months....then I tripped over the holidays and landed flat on my face by Valentine's Day. By then I was in the middle of some depression (that I'm now thinking is seasonal...but that's another story)...I kept trying to get back on track from March to about this June. I'd do really well for a few days, then fail and kick myself...then get back up and fight again, only to fall down again. I really try to encourage other people, but I'm rotten at being my own cheerleader! I finally started posting again after I'd had three weeks of greens & yellows in a row again. This time around has been much easier, much more encouraging, and with far less struggle. I've lost some weight, but I'm trying not to think about the pounds or the numbers....they completely trip me up. I'm trying to focus on being healthy from day to day. I'm convinced that this plan is healing me from the inside out. I'm not binging...I'm not obsessing about food....I'm not panicked that the weight is slow to come off. This plan focuses on just being normal...what a concept! I'm sure I'll struggle....I can't change 49 years of horrible habits in just a short time, but I'm finally at the point where I see my life changing and that feels wonderful.

That's my story...I'm here for the long-haul...no matter how long that is!

So how are you doing? I know this is all pretty new to you...are you doing okay? And I've forgotten...did you read the book yet? I just don't remember that from your thread.

Write back when you can...you can write here or send me a PM...either one works for me!

Take care...janie

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:47 am

I don't have the book yet. I just discovered this a few days ago, then read through the website a couple of times. I knew the first time I read it this was something I wanted to do. It fits so well with what I know and how we live in general, but has that extra bit of structure and community that makes it :)

I'm trying very hard not to obsess about the weight loss - or lack of it. In fact my scale has a dead battery - and I'm thinking of not replacing it for a while so that it can't influence me. I don't want it to be about weight.

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:13 am

Dandelion,

This whole plan just rings true, doesn't it? No gimmicks, no artificial foods, no counting, no obsessing, no garbage...just healing and eating like healthy people. Again - what a concept!

I'm sure you'll have easy days & difficult days, but hang in there because this is truly an answer & jot just a bandaid.

Drop by any time!
janie

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:03 am

Isn't there an "I Love Green" song somewhere? Oh...nope...the one I'm thinking of was "I Love Trash" by Oscar the Grouch. There should be a song like that though....

It was a Green Thursday....

janie

guadopt1997

Post by guadopt1997 » Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:36 pm

Thanks, Janie, for your post on my topic "Change of season disappointment".

You wrote: Whenever I'm discouraged & tempted to try something that would make me lose faster, I have to remind myself that I not only want the weight gone, but I want it never to come back....so I think about today...just today. And I try to think about tomorrow tomorrow.

I think that's a really good way to look at this process.

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:30 pm

guadopt1997...Thanks for popping in. It's tough sometimes, isn't it? Just looking at today can be so hard, but looking ahead can be such a stumbling block! You used the right word, I think, to describe this...it's a process.

janie

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:41 pm

Yesterday was Green, but I had my first Red on Friday. The weekend was fine & I got back up & brushed off the crumbs and started over yesterday. The same thing that trips me up every time got me again on Friday. I tried on a pair of pants that I thought should fit better & they didn't. I'm so tired of feeling as if my clothes are snug...I've felt that way just about all my life and I'm weary of it. BUT, whenever I dwell on that I get discouraged...and when I get discouraged I want to give up what is best for me...this plan! I'm not thinking about it today....can't do it. I'm going to have a green day today and think about tomorrow, tomorrow.

janie

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:57 am

GREEN yesterday. I'm off to the dr. today & hopefully will feel better soon. I DREAD getting on the scale though...and plan to tell them I don't want to see the numbers. I'm on the road to recovery after all these years of food dysfunction...seeing the numbers will throw me for a loop, even though I know where I'm at.

Off to battle today.
janie

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:38 pm

I love your line about getting back up and "brushing off the crumbs." Captures the "letting go of the past" and heading forward perfectly.

Don't let the little things get you down. Progress is SLOW on No-S, and I know that's hard. But at least it's in the right direction.

Babysteps will take you where you want to go... and consistent babysteps work better than giant strides forward and even-more-giant backslides.

Hang in there!

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:50 pm

KCCC....how did you know exactly what I needed to hear? Thanks so much for dropping in. I'm doing much better now than I was over the weekend. Baby steps can be so incredibly discouraging, but since they are the only way I'll heal, I'm stuck with them. So...I'll take another one today...and work on tomorrow tomorrow.

Thanks again KCCC,
janie

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:57 pm

I had to go to a dr. yesterday...I've never been to this woman before & was very happy with her. I stepped on the scale, but didn't look at the number...that just trips me up. I told the nurse not to tell me what I weighed - and she didn't!

I unexpectedly had the opportunity to read a book at the local super-grocery store cafe for a couple of hours in the evening...something that never happens. It was so nice to leave the kids at home & just be quiet for awhile. AND, I had a glass of tea, but nothing else. I was surrounded by every treat in the county...candy....pastry...fruit...bagels...and I didn't even feel very tempted at all. It was easy...it was encouraging...it was an experience I want to duplicate over & over in the future.

Off to make another green day...
janie

mimi

Post by mimi » Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:40 pm

I was surrounded by every treat in the county...candy....pastry...fruit...bagels...and I didn't even feel very tempted at all.
Wow - look at you Janie! Now that's progress! Keep heading in that direction!

Also going into your doctor's office with a plan in place with how to deal with the scale was soooo smart. Rememer, if you fail to plan, you plan to fail!
Good for you - keep up your good work!

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:02 pm

Mimi....

Thanks so much! It feels wonderful to be cheered on. I love that phrase..."If you fail to plan, you plan to fail." That's great!

Thanks again! janie

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:07 pm

Almost finished with another GREEN week. I really was worried last week. I could have taken a nose dive right into some brownies so easily. I didn't. I'm here. I'm still fighting.

What is so great AND so difficult about this plan is the slowness of weight loss. I want these pounds OFF. But at the same time, I want them to STAY off. I have to constantly remind myself that if I'm losing slowly, the evidence is just very slow to appear..or disappear in this case. But I'm learning maintenance, and that skill is non-existent in every diet I've ever tried. I've never gotten to a healthy weight & I've never learned to keep it off. Now I'm learning...and it ain't easy. I'm not giving up.

I'm finishing out the week with a green Friday. I'm taking the kids to the homeschool bowling league this afternoon & that's the excitement for the day. I'll take it though...it's great fun!

janie

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:56 pm

I haven't checked in for a few days, but I'm doing fine. The weekend was kind of discouraging, but all's well. I'm heading out of town on Thursday....and I'm hoping I don't eat more than I should. Today, however, will be a lovely shade of green. I'll think about the trip later...today is good...today I'll chalk up another green on the calendar.

janie

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:00 pm

I'm back after 2 weeks. They were good weeks...just not good weeks for eating. So...I'm back....I'm just not going to dwell on it or try to analyze the whys & hows. I ate too much...period. Yesterday was GREEN. Today will be green & I'll worry about the next day after that. 49 years of bad habits are difficult to change...I don't mean that as a cope-out, but as a reminder to not beat myself up.

janie

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:42 pm

49 years is a lot of time to make a habit. And today is another day. Let's get to it! :wink:
howfunisthat wrote:I'm back after 2 weeks. They were good weeks...just not good weeks for eating. So...I'm back....I'm just not going to dwell on it or try to analyze the whys & hows. I ate too much...period. Yesterday was GREEN. Today will be green & I'll worry about the next day after that. 49 years of bad habits are difficult to change...I don't mean that as a cope-out, but as a reminder to not beat myself up.

janie
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:50 pm

Kevin...thanks for dropping by. It's always encouraging to know we're not alone in this adventure.

janie

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:53 pm

Yesterday was a pretty easy GREEN day. I didn't think about food very much & was just busy with other things....and that always helps. In general, I'm trying not to think about weight or food or clothes at all. What fits, fits....period. Whatever I weigh, I weigh....another period. I will try my best to eat healthy today and exersize as often as I can. I'm tired of dwelling on food & weight loss....I have more important things to think about.

janie

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:33 pm

Yesterday was GREEN. Today wil be green too. I'm taking the kids bowling today. Gotta get those unsocialized homeschoolers together somehow :lol:

Yesterday I wrote that I was tired of dwelling on food and weight issues...and that's true. But as I think about it, I believe I'm most weary of beating myself up. I don't remember NOT dwelling on eating issues....and I'm kinda wondering what it would be like to just eat like a normal, healthy person & not analyze whether I was eating well or too much, or what would happen if I eliminated a spoonful of this or that. LOL....it's funny....even as I write this I want to beat myself up for writing about beating myself up! Overall, I think I'm really making progress. I don't binge anymore...I don't crave ice cream before bed....I don't eat seconds or sweets during the week. I still struggle with wanting to snack in the afternoons, but I'm doing okay with that too, on most days. And I'm not obsessing over food anymore. I'm changing. And I'm encouraged.

Off to have a great green day...

janie

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:39 pm

howfunisthat wrote: Yesterday I wrote that I was tired of dwelling on food and weight issues...and that's true. But as I think about it, I believe I'm most weary of beating myself up.
LOL....it's funny....even as I write this I want to beat myself up for writing about beating myself up!
No-S has helped me break that bad habit of beating myself up... Not all the time, but significantly better. One of the things I love about No-S. I'm learning to be gentle with myself and others.

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:51 pm

Hi KCCC....It's really quite amazing how much harder we can be on ourselves than others, isn't it? It's wonderful to feel a bit of freedom from that, isn't it?

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:54 pm

Almost forgot to check in again. Yesterday was GREEN, despite a rice cake or two in the afternoon. I don't eat those often, but I'm not going to declare a red day just for the 2 rice cakes. I probably should, but then again, they stopped me from snacking on anything else and stopped me from eating too much at dinner...so...green day it was!

I'm going to work on having today be as close to green as possible. I've had a lot of red days this month & I don't need any more days of eating too much. So...off I go!

janie

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:47 am

Hey Janie, just wanted to say hi and send a few hugs your way :)
Hope you're enjoying your weekend and doing well.
8) Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:23 pm

Hi Debs...How nice of you to drop in! Yup, I'm doing fine...and having a nice weekend too. I have a friend flying in from San Antonio today to spend a week with us. I've known her forever & we'll have a wonderful week, I'm sure.

Hope you're doing well too!

Hugs right back at you!
janie

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:27 pm

Yesterday was a GREEN Saturday. I didn't specifically intend to make it all green, but after dinner I realized that if I didn't have anything after dinner, I could chalk it up to green. Today we're having snacks & watching a football game, so I'll enjoy my yellow day without guilt!

janie