HowFunIsThat - The Daily Blub

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

buttercreampillow

Post by buttercreampillow » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:39 am

Hi, Janie! So glad to see you again!

Enjoy your friend's visit, and be as good to yourself as you would be to her!

buttercream
Natural Eater

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:31 pm

Hey Buttercream! Thanks for dropping in! It'll be a great visit with my sweet friend....it does my heart good to see her!

Yesterday was a fine & dandy shade of YELLOW. I should have been thinking about the fact that today is one of my son's birthdays though...I'd love to have strawberry shortcake for dinner tonight. I haven't had a great month so I was not planning to make today yellow...but we'll see. I might have a small one....but the rest of the day will be green. I'm just not gonna stress about it!

janie
Nothing worthwhile is ever easy...

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:53 pm

Okay...the rest of October was not worth dwelling on. Our friends' son finally passed away from Batten's disease - awful disease - always fatal before 25...and I had gallbladder surgery last week. I didn't think that food was a big issue last month so I just stopped being concerned about it. I started over yesterday & I'll take each day as it comes. Today will be green & that will feel great....

janie

princesspamf

Post by princesspamf » Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:48 pm

I am climbing back on the wagon myself. Things went downhill when I quit checking in daily. Even if no one read it, just the process has value. But I'm more committed than ever to this being a lifestyle, not just a diet for the moment...so here we go again.
Green days, here we come!
Appreciate your posts.
Pam
Do or do not. There is not "try". ~Yoda in:
The Empire Strikes Back

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:03 pm

I'm sorry to hear about all your troubles. I'd consider all those days you were reaching out to friends, and certainly any days surrounding surgery as S days.
howfunisthat wrote:Okay...the rest of October was not worth dwelling on. Our friends' son finally passed away from Batten's disease - awful disease - always fatal before 25...and I had gallbladder surgery last week. I didn't think that food was a big issue last month so I just stopped being concerned about it. I started over yesterday & I'll take each day as it comes. Today will be green & that will feel great....

janie
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:10 pm

Kevin...I didn't think about Surgery being an "S"! LOL! What a way to get a few treats though!!! Thanks for stopping in...

Pam...Thanks for dropping in...and congrats on just climbing back on the wagon again. I've lost track of how many times I've done that...but every time we do, we're changing our life one bite at a time. It might take a lot of bites, but we'll get there...I just know it.

Thanks again!
janie

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:13 pm

Yesterday was GREEN and it certainly felt good. I'm still not 100% from surgery, but I'm trying to get my eating back on a regular schedule. Some foods are giving me a hard time so I'm eating light, but since I'm not doing much physical activity, it seems to be fine.

I see my dr. next week & hopefully after that I can go back to the "Y". I'm looking forward to feeling good again.

janie

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:50 pm

Three GREENS in a row so far this week & that feels good. I'm feeling better & better every day from the surgery & eating on track certainly helps emotionally too. Certain foods really bother me so I have to be careful anyway. I'm just very, very thankful to have that surgery behind me.

I'm off to a ton of errands with my little girl...and a green day here I come!

janie

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:28 pm

I love looking back on a GREEN week. It's the first one in a month so it's especially comforting.

I'm still having digestion issues after my surgery so finding things to eat & have them not give me grief is a challenge, but I'll get there. I might have some ice cream tonight because I've been wanting some for a week, but I'll have just a bit & see how I do. It's just so nice to feel good again!

janie

princesspamf

Post by princesspamf » Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:17 pm

I've had a green week also. Kind of neat to think about our being on opposite sides of the country but stepping each day into better health and habits!
Enjoy the weekend!
Pam
Do or do not. There is not "try". ~Yoda in:
The Empire Strikes Back