TexArk's Daily Check In

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

TexArk

TexArk's Daily Check In

Post by TexArk » Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:07 pm

I began NoS at the end of December and started my check in at that time. I loved it and was successful with habit change. Then at the end of April my 93 yr old father had a stroke. I have been away from home for 3 months taking care of him and negotiating with my stepmother and her family. He has done well enough to move into assisted living and now my stepmom's oldest son has moved in with her for awhile until they can make arrangements for her. All the family is now on board with her diagnosis and she cannot drive or live alone any longer. It has been a wild and stormy summer and I have tried to stay on NoS but the habit has been broken and it is time to start fresh.

I am trying to begin the school year in another week and will have to be absent and make long trips that will be disruptive. I am hoping to hold on to my job for this year and then take early retirement. But...I must get my own life back into a more disciplined habit. I am not going to weigh as I know I have picked up some pounds. I can also tell that my clothes are snug. I do know that if I had not had the habits in place before all this came crashing down on me I would have gained mucho pounds and would have tried to soothe with food.

So here is to the new beginning. My HabitCal is set for NoS strict version. I like LALosers plan but that is too much for me to keep up with right now. I will just note in my daily check in if my failures were little ones or big ones. I am also toying with the idea of using Friday/Saturday as my S days since Sunday never does seem to be a problem yet Friday nights usually are.

It is good to see a few familiar faces still on the board. Nichole is one who started after me and it has been a pleasure to see her still working NoS instead of giving in to accounting diets.

So for this morning I have had my 2 mile walk and my cereal with raisins, and my boiled egg. I have a potroast in the crock pot. I am on my way!!

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:18 am

End of Day 1 (the second season)

Tuna Salad and Pineapple Chunks for lunch
2% milk because of delayed supper
Roast Beef Sandwich and Fried Pickles for supper

Not a to the letter day--bites of roast beef when cleaning up, but I am not marking a failure today.

TexArk

Day 2

Post by TexArk » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:54 pm

Breakfast: raisins, 2 dry toast, boiled egg, coffee

Did not get up and walk so I will have to work on getting my 30 minutes.

small juice glass of orange juice to tide me over.

Lunch: cold roast beef with mustard, corn on the cob nuked with the husk, butter spray

Having company this evening (diabetic) Made sugar free pineapple/lemon pie--licked the spoon but I am not counting this. Soon I will break this habit, too, but for now those little slips are not going to derail my real success. I have no sugar, no seconds, and no snacks. After a perfect week I think I can focus on no licks and bites. I realize they can add up.
Last edited by TexArk on Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mandy55

Post by Mandy55 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:41 pm

Good luck with your "second season". I'm rooting for you! It's easy to let yourself fall way down in the line of priorities when you're taking care of others. I have a handicapped daughter that I care for daily as well as work full time so I know what it's like to lose sight of taking care of yourself first. But, it's very important to keep yourself healthy and enjoy life along the way even while caring for others. I have grown to rely on help from others to ease the load on me some days.

P.S. I love fried pickles!!

Amanda

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:26 pm

Hi TexArk!

It's so nice to see you back again. I'm so sorry about your father's stroke. It's so hard to watch our parents get older. I'm glad he's recovered enough to live in an assisted living environment. I'm sure it was a very stressful time for you.

I was not on the boards for several months either...but it's good to be back. I'm not sure why I stayed away so long.

Welcome back!

janie
Nothing worthwhile is ever easy...

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:57 am

I got up early this morning and did my walk. Then I had a good breakfast, whole wheat toast, boiled egg, orange juice. Lunch was too early and then I had a failure eating sugar free pie. Then instead of leaving the car with a slight dent, I proceeded to wreck the car.

Tomorrow I will get up and walk and start a new day again. I had no trouble the first time I tried NoS with perfect compliance. I can do this...it is a mental thing I know. I think I was tired today and probably needed a nap, but just ate instead. Of course that is what I have always done: tired=eat; bored=eat; procrastinating=eat; worried=eat.

I am going to report each day and am hoping the accountability will provide some motivation that is lacking.

TexArk

Day 4 Second Season

Post by TexArk » Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:53 pm

A new day. A new beginning.
Walked this morning and enjoyed nature. Saw a doe and mist over the pond.
Breakfast of 2 boiled eggs, 1 bowl of cereal, banana, coffee
Lunch: creamed steak over dry toast and steamed broccoli w/ butter
ate at 11:30 because I was afraid I would nibble if I had to wait.
Supper: stir fry beef/peppers/rice 1/2 apple

Goal is to make it through 2 N days with perfect compliance. Then I am going to allow myself no more than 3 S events per S day. And...if there is a planned event, I will start my S day on Friday evening and end it after Sunday lunch. This is to control the S days that tend to turn into gluttony. I have found a small bakery that is open on Friday evening late and Saturday mornings that has individual servings of all of their larger orders--just the right size and only $1.00. (cheesecake, German chocolate cake, key lime pie)

It is too hot to think about cooking, but I have good leftovers in the fridge ready for supper. I stir fried left overs and I am going to mark my habitcal now even though it is only 5:00! I did have a frozen Capri Sun in the middle of the afternoon. It is going to be a long night, but I am really sleepy so maybe I will get down early.

TexArk

Day 5 Second Season

Post by TexArk » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:29 pm

Early morning 30 minute walk.

Breakfast: boiled egg, cold cereal with dried fruit, 2% milk, orange juice
Lunch: waited until after 11:00 Philly cheese steak hoagie with 1/2 apple and small glass of milk
Afternoon: put pouch of Capri Sun out to thaw for afternoon slump time.
Went shopping and fully intended to stop by bakery and get something special for tomorrow. I had really been planning a special something wonderfully homemade and sweet for my S days and nothing looked appealing. What I decided I wanted instead was chips and dip. I bought the chips but I couldn't decide about dip--maybe the old Rotel/Velveeta or spinach artichoke. Funny about cravings!

Put chicken chalupa in crock pot for supper

Since today is Friday I have an optional S day event for the evening. If I choose Friday, then S days end at Sunday noon.

Vigilant2010

Post by Vigilant2010 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:16 pm

TexArk, I just stopped by to return the love and really enjoyed reading your thread. You are doing great! I admire your aim to walk 30 minutes every day. I'm trying to incorporate a daily walk as well. :)

I went "a HA!" when I read that you often want a treat on Friday nights but don't really care on Sundays alot of the time. That's me to a T! How is it working out for you, to take Friday evenings and then have a cut off time on Sundays? I ask because I am toying with the idea of choosing any two days out of Friday, Saturday, and Sunday to take as S days each week, so I can have treats when I most feel like it. Just curious.

Have a great weekend!
Blogging my way to a healthier lifestyle at http://www.21days-at-a-time.blogspot.com

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:55 pm

Friday evening

Well I took my first S day (event) on a Friday evening.
I made homemade biscuits and had 6 small drop biscuits with butter! Then I had the last little piece of chocolate cheesecake that had been in the refrigerator since last Tuesday with my name on it. And I had a small serving of chicken chalupa with chips.

I think this was a good idea because I had a normal day and this was just an S evening instead of a free for all day! Now tomorrow I will have an S Day with no more than 2 S events (only if I want them) I don't have anything planned though.

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:29 pm

Saturday Morning

Last night after posting I did finish off a bag of chips. But I still feel better about making Friday night an S day. I did eat too much though and I could feel the difference. Make a memory!
Tomorrow will be an N day since I had Friday night and Saturday to use my S's

Total S Events:
Friday evening:
chocolate cheesecake (small)
chips (too many)
Saturday:
2 bowls of cereal at breakfast
Snickers bar (small) during shopping trip
midmorning snack of leftovers
2 bowls of casserole at lunch
cheese stick in afternoon

My next S days/events will be a road trip so I really need 5 N Days. I can do it.

Dreaded back to school shopping trip to WalMart with the masses.

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:59 pm

Yesterday was a horrible S day. I really need to apply some sort of standard like using my S events but only outside of the house. Do not cook or bring home problems.

Today is my first try at turning Sunday into an N day. And the first of 5 N Days in a row. (the last one will involve a 9 hour road trip)

Morning walk at 6:00.
Breakfast: cereal w/ milk, dry toast w/ egg; coffee

Lunch at 11:30
spinach salad w/ cherry tomatoes, grated Parmesan, EVOO, seasoned chicken and beans and 5 biscuits w/ butter. Plate was probably too full but it was one plate and I need to get through a successful day. Supper will be light as it is too hot to cook and nothing sounds good. Maybe tuna fish salad???
Edited after supper 7:30
large bowl of blackeyed pea casserole and 1/2 beef sandwich, small glass 2% milk

I can do this one meal at at time.
Last edited by TexArk on Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vigilant2010

Post by Vigilant2010 » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:01 pm

Yes, you can do it! :D
Blogging my way to a healthier lifestyle at http://www.21days-at-a-time.blogspot.com

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:54 am

Whoopee! Two green days in a row. And today was the dreaded back to school teacher's meetings. Excuse me while I complain about schools now being run on the business model. We also had the lovely luncheon of all brown food - fried catfish, fried chicken, French fries, and Hush puppies (also goopy coleslaw). I am not kidding. It was pretty easy to have a small one serving plate. I did not go near the ice cream bar or the cookies and other snacks during the day. Good for me.

I also came home and walked at 7:00 after my supper of a small frozen quiche (not so good). It was hot and humid but I sweated out 2 miles. Another good for me.

I am on my way to 5 N Days in a row.

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:15 pm

3 green days in a row! 2 more to go. I can do it.

Breakfast: cereal, milk, bacon, peanut butter
Lunch: 1 bowl of: lean chicken, beans, cheese, sour cream, salsa, olives, and Fritoes along with one crisp apple
Supper: frozen hamburger cheese thin crust pizza single serving size

Got my walk in at 6:30 and a good thing too, since it is stormy this evening.

I've put the coffee on to get through the evening and am posting now a success!! I wanted to eat more so I am postponing cleaning up the kitchen for awhile. Thank goodness for NoS active boards.

Vigilant2010

Post by Vigilant2010 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:57 pm

yes yes yes! You can do 2 more days! :D

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:12 am

Well, I have to mark Wednesday as a failure. Did fine until after supper. Then my internet browser crashed on me. Very frustrating trying to get internet explorer loaded up again. I know this is no great excuse, but I can see I dependent I am on posting after supper. Anyway I had seconds cleaning up the kitchen and then later hit the peanut butter. Ugh!

Thursday has been a success, though. And this was a 9 hour car trip. My meals weren't the most nutritious, but they were one platers and no snacking in the car. Amazing! much less trash. LOL

I didn't get any exercise in though. Even though this is not a pleasure trip, I did bring my walking gear and will try to get with it in the morning early. Tomorrow (Friday) will be an N day and that will give me my 5 although not in a row. Then I will take my S days one of which will be a travel day.

Now that my laptop is back in order I am busy catching up and it is after 1:00 in the morning. BUT I am not snacking.

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:39 am

Thursday was all day road trip. Did OK with NoS
No Exercise

Friday
did my 2 mile walk early in the morning
S day but pretty mild no snacks. large portion brunch, BBQ! supper--no seconds, with ice cream cone as only sweet for day

mimi

Post by mimi » Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:12 pm

TexArk wrote:Whoopee! Two green days in a row. And today was the dreaded back to school teacher's meetings. Excuse me while I complain about schools now being run on the business model. We also had the lovely luncheon of all brown food - fried catfish, fried chicken, French fries, and Hush puppies (also goopy coleslaw). I am not kidding. It was pretty easy to have a small one serving plate. I did not go near the ice cream bar or the cookies and other snacks during the day. Good for me.
Yes! Good for you! I hear ya TexArk about meetings - ugh! Takes away so much much-needed time in the classrooms to get ready! They haven't really fed us anything yet but junk - cake, donuts and pastries, etc. - all of which I've passed up. Yay!

I've been working on school-related stuff all morning...had to take a break, but break is about to be over! Good luck with the rest of the weekend. I've been following with interest your experiment with taking Friday evening and Saturdays as your S days. Am anxious to see how it goes for you over time.

Mimi :D
Discovered NoS: April 16, 2007
Restarted once again: July 14, 2011
Quitting is not an option...
If you start to slip, tie a knot and hang on!
Remember that good enough is... good enough.
Strive for progress, not perfection!

Vigilant2010

Post by Vigilant2010 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:58 pm

Good job on Thurs & Fri! Sorry to hear about Wednesday, but if my computer crashed I'd likely be in the pantry too. For better or for worse, I really do rely on these boards to keep my commitment to no S at the forefront of my mind.

Hope you are enjoying your weekend! :)

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:49 am

Back home with little damage I hope.
I used Friday as an S day (and only an ice cream cone at that)

Saturday and Sunday were N days. All day Sunday was a road trip and I got milk at one of the stops (not a snack) and stared and stared at the Krispie Kreme boxes of donut holes but walked away.

No exercise for today.

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:08 pm

Monday first day of classes was an N day. I did need my milk. And I even managed to get a walk in near dark.

Tuesday morning I got up early and walked--was rewarded by seeing a gorgeous fox and a doe and twin fawn.
Breakfast: boiled egg with pat of butter; bowl of cereal w/milk
Packed a lunch - sort of a bento box - 1 c. rice, 1/3 c. chicken, few mandarin oranges, almonds, olives;carrots, celery and spinach dip, cheese stick (too much?--I think it is a plate)

Supper was not tasty--yucky canned Chinese food. Maybe that is why I nibbled as I cleaned up the kitchen and packed my lunch for tomorrow. Nothing drastic, but a FAILURE nonetheless. Tomorrow I will have 3 tasty satisfying meals! I know because I have already tasted one of them. LOL
Last edited by TexArk on Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vigilant2010

Post by Vigilant2010 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:20 pm

Aw, you saw a fox?! I'm so jealous! I frequent the nature preserves near my house and the only large mammal I've spotted all summer (besides deer) is a coyote! :roll:

Kudos on walking away from the Krispie Kreme, by the way!

mimi

Post by mimi » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:37 pm

Monday first day of classes was an N day. I did need my milk.
Today was the first day of classes for us! We had a full work day yesterday and Back-To-School night last night from 5-7 p.m. It was a looong day! I needed milk last night! - we'll see about tonight (I didn't sleep very well last night!)

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:21 am

Wednesday report

Well last night ended in a failure because of nibbling while cleaning up kitchen. I have now added no nibbling to my HabitCal.

Meals were fine today. Also no snacking or sweets. Just too tired to exercise. I am dressed for it, but just can't get out of the chair. It is the first week of school and I have been at it all day. Come to think of it I have been on my feet all day and walked up flights of stairs over and over to my office. So I have moved some. It will get better.

For tonight my energy level is short and my to do list is long. This can be a "red zone" if I am not vigilant. Fatigue, Procrastination, Stress can morph into a carbfest starting with that first nibble.

My new pedometer came yesterday and I am just too exhausted to figure it out right now. I will walk early in the morning because I don't have an early class and I want to start counting steps again.

Goals: 5000 steps a day, no nibbles, 5 green days in a row, sweets enjoyed out of the house on S days. practicing binge control with 90 second emotion rule.

mimi

Post by mimi » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:12 am

I hear ya TexArk! After my first day yesterday I was pooped! Just as we were getting ready to go to bed, the phone rang and it was the nursing facility where my MIL resides calling to say that they found her unconscious and had called the rescue squad to transport her to the ER. I thought I couldn't go, but I made some coffee while hubby changed clothes and we headed to the hospital. For the sake of rambling on your thread, we found her sitting up and eating a sandwich when we got there! Happy ending for all! Got to bed by midnight!
Hang in there and enjoy your pedometer!

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:01 am

Thanks to Mimi and Vigilant

I started my second season of NoS on August 10 and have really struggled to get the habit going consistently. Today I feel better about it than I have and I think it is because I am in a routine that provides much needed structure. It is difficult starting off a school year and also dealing with elder care long distance, but if I didn't have the NoS "scaffolding" in place I know that I would be packing on the pounds.

I am trying Vigilant's 21 day challenge idea and I am hanging on Mimi.

I actually got in 10,000 steps today. I love my new pedometer. I walked 2 miles early this morning. I walked a mile during the day at work; so all I needed this evening after supper was a 1 mile walk.

I had an easy NoS day. I chewed gum to get me to lunch and I drank milk before I started supper. Then I walked after supper instead of cleaning up the kitchen.

I plan on using Friday evening as an S day (1 S event) Saturday (2 S events) and Sunday noon (1 S event) I think 4 S events are quite enough and I don't need Sunday evening. I am with you Vigilant on not having sweets for breakfast even on S days. That just starts my day off wrong.

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:35 am

SUCCESS for Friday

I still love the pedometer. On MWF I have to leave for work about 6:30 and there is not time for an early morning walk, but with the pedometer in place I find myself consciously adding steps to my day. By the time I came home I had 5000 steps so after supper I walked 2 miles and now have 10,000. (actually 9304 as I write)

I had decided to use Friday evening as the beginning of my S allowances. I thought I would want a sweet, but I did not want to go out and guess what? grapes and almonds satisfied me just fine

Tomorrow will be a true S day and I will try to reward myself. I am planning a long walk in the morning with a friend.

Vigilant2010

Post by Vigilant2010 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:02 pm

TexArk you are doing great! So glad that walking and your pedometer is providing you with structure, motivation, and enjoyment. :)

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:13 am

Well, my Friday S day turned out not to be so great since I starting gnoshing instead of going to bed.
Saturday was an S day that was also OK until the evening. Is there a pattern you think?
I did get 10,000 steps in each day even though they were S days foodwise.

Sunday was a successful N Day and I feel ready for the week. I think I will change back to Saturday and Sunday as my S days and try for a perfect 21 Vanilla NoS for September. I joined the September challenge just because it is one more place to be accountable.
I had to buy a pair of slacks this afternoon because of weight gain. The fat pants could be discouraging but I only bought one pair. My hope is that by the end of the month I can wear clothes that I was wearing before the summer lapse.

Vigilant2010

Post by Vigilant2010 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:39 am

I have also decided that when I have a planned sweet, it needs to be after a meal. I think I get too much of a sugar rush on an empty stomach or maybe my hunger needs to be satisfied first so that I am not using the sweet to satisfy hunger.
Hi! I agree that having dessert AS DESSERT--after a meal, the "old-fashioned" way--is a really good idea. There is something to eating it on an empty stomach or just randomly between meals that causes problems for me, too. I'll be interested to hear how this approach works for you, because it sounds sane and smart.

Since I'm trying to eat dessert outside the house right now, yet still eating most of my meals at home, I won't be able to do what you're doing exactly. But you've got me thinking about things. Maybe I'll make it a rule that when I *do* bring a sweet home, I must wait until after my meal to eat it. That way I at least modify my at-home behavior and break the precedent of just grazing randomly on sweets all day on my S days (like I used to do, before eating things outside the house.) I do eventually want to be able to have things at home and not act silly, and maybe this little rule would help.

Wishing you a fantastically green September!

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:09 am

SUCCESS for Monday
I did not reach 10,000 steps, but I did get to 7072.
NoS green day.
Packed lunch for tomorrow and have an early morning walk planned.
Tomorrow starts the September challenge and I am ready for success.
One meal at a time.
1 green day, 4 more to go.

Successes can snowball just like failures. I would rather my snowballs were of the success variety.

Now off to bed at 10:00.

apomerantz

Post by apomerantz » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:07 pm

It's sooo wonderful to see you are here :).

I'm so so sorry about your father and all the stress. Wow. That would make it so hard to follow any plan, but I bet you are right - - No S probably kept it from being a lot worse.

I look forward to keeping up with you and your progress. We've done it before, and we can do it again. I'm looking forward to it actually.

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:07 pm

Day 1 of September Challenge

SUCCESS for 3 plates and 10,000 steps

I am on my way.

Posting at 6:00 p.m. and do not intend to come back to edit.

Vigilant2010

Post by Vigilant2010 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:53 am

Go Tex!

Successes can snowball just like failures. I would rather my snowballs were of the success variety.

Loved that!

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:13 am

Welll, I have been calorie counting, just to clear that up! (to respond to your first post). But I've eased off the counting a bit since I'm used to it.

And glad to see you're enjoying your pedometer!! 10,000 steps, great job!!
"Anyone can cook." ~ Chef Gusteau, Ratatouille

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:08 am

Day 2 of September Challenge

This was a good N day. And Wednesdays are my difficult days. They are long with many classes in a row without a break. I start too early to get a morning walk in and usually am too tired at night to get moving. I'll see what I can do but this just may have to be considered an off day for 10,000 steps.

The biggest challenge is not eating from fatigue on Wednesday evenings. It is 7:00 and I am posting now while I am at SUCCESS.

I have weighed the last 2 mornings and will weigh one more time tomorrow to average the 3 weigh ins. It is as I expected...a gain of about 10 pounds over the summer. I haven't weighed all summer, but I decided I needed a starting number and I will weigh each month just to see. I really am going to let my body decide its weight. What a novel idea!

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:19 am

Day 3 of September Challenge

SUCCESS
10,000+ steps (Early morning walk jumpstarted the day so only a short walk needed in the evening)

Meals were good except supper portions could have been better balanced (too many almonds).

I weighed and got my average so I won't weigh again until October. We'll just see where my body decides to land. I am thinking I will probably lose at least 25 pounds but it may take awhile--probably at least a year.

Now I have to make it through Friday - watch out for the evening let down!

Vigilant2010

Post by Vigilant2010 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:42 pm

I'm going to join you in staying away from the scale. I'm going to track "no weigh ins" on my home calendar habitcal this month.

I'm also with you on accepting that it will take a long time to lose our excess weight, and its best to focus on the right habits/behaviors/skills than on reaching specific numbers (weights) by specific deadlines.

Wishing you a green September and as many steps as your lil' pedometer can handle! :D

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:27 pm

Yesh, losing weight is a slow process when done in a healthy way, but either way, it's worth it! Sounds like you're doing well. :)
"Anyone can cook." ~ Chef Gusteau, Ratatouille

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:09 pm

I'm impressed that you're getting in the 10000 steps on the pedometer! Good for you!

May your successes continue to snowball!

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:12 am

Day 4 September Challenge
SUCCESS for an N Day
Friday evenings are hard, but I to time to make lentil stew with tomatoes. I probably has too much Parmesan cheese, but it fit the plate rule and I am letting go of my "counting."

The pedometer is the only reason I got out the door and finished up my 10,000 steps. After supper I still had 6500 steps to go, but I just walked all over the west side of town checking my pedometer every 5 minutes or so. Then I turned around and headed back home and made it to 10,000 at my driveway.

Tomorrow will be an S Day so that means biscuits for breakfast and a special dessert after a light lunch.

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:29 am

A nice S Day

I did have some peanuts (not preshelled) as an afternoon snack.
I enjoyed biscuits and sausage for breakfast and I ate my gourmet fudge from last week for dessert after lunch (seafood salad with crackers)

I also managed to get in 10,000 steps. An early morning walk helped and I needed just a 1 mile walk after supper to finish it off.

My only event that was off my goal: I made a sugar free pie for my husband and I did have a couple of slices. That was more than I had planned, but it was very light and I don't feel bad about it.

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:25 pm

Sunday was a busy S day. Some things to be proud of and some to work on. No exercise was possible and I realize again how much of a stress reliever exercise is for me.

Monday Labor Day was an N Day. I am marking it now as a SUCCESS because I feel weak and better close out this day.
I have already logged 9447 steps so just a quick walk around the block will finish off my goal and I have completed supper which was 2 chicken quesadillas (they fit on a plate but 1 1/2 would have been about right.)

I did not have school today but the rest of the family had to work so I did stay indoors and catch up on nasty paperwork at home. Usually that triggers permasnacking: home alone; boredom; procrastination; feeling sorry for myself. BUT I had 3 plates and got outside and walked early this morning.

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:08 am

SUCCESS
Green Day + 10,000 steps

Got my walk in early and had my 3 meals.

cereal milk 2 egg omelet coffee
spaghetti casserole 2 Triscuits
tuna apple mayo pickles yogurt
coffee

Wish every day could be so smooth. I did chew a lot of gum this morning though waiting for noon. Should be eating more veggies but it usually evens out over the week.

I am getting to bed earlier and I think this is helping a bunch as is the 10,000 step goal.

Tomorrow is my difficult day. Wednesday is overscheduled and lunch comes late or hurried and supper is always hurried. Be alert.

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:12 am

SUCCESS for Wednesday and Thursday

The pedometer is really helping to keep me moving and I have managed to meet my goal of 10,000 steps at least 5 days. All the walking has helped with stress management. I have had no binge desires. My plates are full but within the NoS rules. Eventually they may have to be adjusted downward, but for now the structure is back in place.

So the goal is to get through one more N Day and then have enjoyable but not over the top S Days.

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:46 am

Friday SUCCESS

Saturday and Sunday good S Days

Monday SUCCESS

I had to really work to get my steps in on Friday and Monday, but I did it. The pedometer is the motivator for me to get out the door. I guess it is the reality -- I can't pretend that I have moved more than I really have.

The toughest challenge this week is going to be Wednesday. I have to bake and trying to keep from tasting will be my struggle.

So far my month is all green and yellow...it looks good.

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:33 am

Tuesday SUCCESS

Really had to work hard to get my 10,000 steps in because of rain. I got some time in between showers and on treadmill at work and then umbrella in light rain. I would never have done it without the trusty pedometer.

Tomorrow is the rough day. I have to make Brownies and I may have to tape my mouth shut or maybe a huge plug of bubblegum will do the trick.

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:07 pm

FAILURE

I decided not to bake brownies because I felt weak. I bought cream cake already sliced at the bakery, but I should have sent the leftovers home with someone!! I fell into it when I got home. Oh well, mark it and move on. I thought for a tiny bit about making Wednesdays an S day since that is when I have trouble, but it is not worth it. I will stick to the real S days.

I also cannot get any exercise time in on Wednesdays and I really think that helps a bunch with stress relief.

So I am off and running on Thursday and already have nearly 7000 steps and it is just noon.

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:28 am

Thursday FAILURE
Friday FAILURE
Saturday S Day

I am doing well getting my 10,000 steps in, but after eating cake Wednesday night, I did the same thing Thursday morning and then I ate seconds on Friday. I almost succumbed to the temptation to make 2 of the failure days S Days and not take S Days this weekend. But I reread the book and was reminded again why that is not a good idea. I was also tempted for just a wee bit to start counting WW points again. However, it did not take long to get my head straight. So I am focused on my 3 plates and the fence is up again! No nibbling, no virtual plating, no eating at my desk, etc. etc. Fix a plate, sit down, pray and be grateful, and enjoy. Then forget it until the next meal.

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:38 pm

TexArk,
Good for you to recognize that trading S Days is not a good idea. It reminds me of borrowing calories from the following day!
Kathleen

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:46 pm

N Day going OK so far. I really have not had a good focused week so I am really trying hard to work on my plates. I don't have enough steps today, but I may have to shift my focus to following NoS principles and back off of the 10,000 steps for awhile. I have been using much mental and physical energy trying to meet that goal and I may have overreached.

I also have to make a long road trip out of state Thursday-Saturday and walking will not be possible. Good opportunity to focus on N Days.

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:36 pm

Did OK on road trip and S days out of town. The first N Day back though was a failure.

It is Tuesday and I hope I am back on track even though there are many family issues to deal with as well as job stress. I have already gotten in my early morning walk and am ready to face the day even though it will be full of extra stresses. NoS is actually stress relieving instead of stress inducing. Remember that. I will also not weigh any time soon. I think my middle of the month weigh in was not good for me. It is not necessary--just do the 3 plates and forget it.

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:23 pm

Major life events have been causing a distraction. I have been slipping with seconds and my plates are mostly carbs. I have always been a big veggie eater and I just don't want any at all. Give me bread--all kinds!

It has been raining for days so my 10,000 steps has slacked off, too. I can tell I need to get refocused because I have been having recurring thoughts of counting points! I know that will work for a short time, but I also know it will not last long term.

My problem is anxiety in the evening and turning to food for comfort. My solution for this week is to get to bed early and use rest instead of food as the answer.

I am not going to count points or calories, but I will start journaling what I eat in my daily check in

Wednesday
instant oatmeal (when I got to work early)
coffee

sugar free hot chocolate

broccoli soup
Ezekiel toast
diet Dr. Pepper

gingerale and orange sherbet slush
tuna with pickles and mayo
6 biscuits - that is correct - oh me and I don't even feel stuffed

Later: cheese and crackers off an appetizer table plus more sherbet and gingerale
I said I was going to post it and I think this will at least keep me from denial.

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:40 pm

Thursday:

Walked early this morning and logged in over 6000 steps.
Breakfast: Fiber 1 cereal and 2% milk

Lunch:
black bean soup with Cheese It crackers on top
2 slices of pineapple
2 Hershey's kisses with coffee

milk
pickles

Supper:
chicken tenders
corn/scalloped potatoes
milk

coffee

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:11 pm

Friday and Saturday

My mind is more focused. I don't feel it necessary to post what I eat, but I have done OK for 2 days. I gave up and weighed and that was rather depressing, but I guess I needed to face reality. My portions had gotten too large, my S Days way out of bounds and my food choices not the best. So.... I am not restricting, but I am logging or journaling my food for awhile just because evidently staring at a plate of food is not doing it for me as far as portion and nutrition sanity. I am still applying the 3 plate, no snack plan. I am having 2 Hershey kisses after my lunch at work as a final statement--closure, BUT I am not keeping any sweets in the house. Next weekend I will try one or two sweets, but I will just have to keep them counted, controlled, and possibly out of the house. I will just have to practice environmental control for awhile until good habits kick in.

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:56 pm

Sunday and Monday

No exercise on these two days. I may get out for a walk this evening if I don't get sidetracked by life.

Eating patterns back in control. Not exactly NoS but under control and not obsessing. I am writing down what I eat and will need to do that again for awhile. Actually, my only tweaking is having 2 Hershey kisses after my brown bag lunch in the office. I am not getting seconds and I am not snacking. I am eating a very early supper and trying to get to bed earlier. I think sleep is the real need.

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:26 pm

Working on a new plan--S Days have been undoing good N Day habits for months now and N Days are more and more difficult to control. I am no longer just maintaining; I have been gaining.

Soo...For an experiment I am giving myself 8 S Events per month in place of the 8 S Days allowed in Vanilla NoS. I am hoping this will stop the perma eating and bingeing on S Days. I am using HabitCal to track my S events. This may not be enough S events. I will have to find the balance, but I feel good about this.

TexArk

One Year Anniversary

Post by TexArk » Fri Dec 25, 2009 5:05 pm

Well Here I am a year after starting NoS. I had great success at first after a year of failure at IE. Then life happened and I slid down the slippery slope and I am bigger than I was when I started. Now I am in such bad shape I will not weigh. I already know it is not going to be a number I want to see. I can't wear my clothes and am really mentally down.

The one thing I do know is that I cannot go back to counting WW points again. The only accounting I plan to do is to write down what I eat for the next 21 days. I am not going to keep the HabitCal, but I will mark in my calendar or on this check in what I eat as a matter of accountability.

I will have to come to some sort of decision about S days--I am thinking of counting S events. I have decided that I must have binge eating or overeating disorder so I don't want to give myself free reign on 2 S days each week. For now I need my 5 N days and I will think about S days and/or events during that time.

So here goes to another year. I want this one to be the one that forms the habit no matter what life is throwing me. I will retire at the end of this year so my goal is to conquer this thing so I can enjoy my retirement. After all this "food" thing has been going on since college!

Now...I am off to Christmas dinner.

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Fri Dec 25, 2009 11:03 pm

TexArk,
Merry Christmas to you, and best wishes for the New Year. I think that No S works, but it takes a long time and can be really discouraging for long time dieters who need to go through the process of allowing "unconditional eating" on S Days. Please be compassionate and understanding towards yourself. The conventional wisdom of "eat less, exercise more" leads to years of restrictive eating and finally uncontrolled bingeing. I think that the primal drive to survive is behind what appears to be a failure of willpower. Like you, my dieting started long ago -- spring of my senior year of high school.
Kathleen

TexArk

Day 1 Year 2

Post by TexArk » Sat Dec 26, 2009 3:15 pm

Thanks, Kathleen. I have read your posts the last year and I think we have traveled a similar journey. I kept my weight at a healthy spot for about 4 years but in order to do so I still had to stay in counting mode. That is when I decided I couldn't do it anymore and tried all sorts of intuitive eating plans to no avail. When I found NoS a year ago I knew this was it. Now I have to realize that I have 40+ years of "eat less exercise more" that has absolutely led to restriction and bingeing in reaction. And I know that it I need to be kind to myself and keep working at it.

Breakfast:
Muesli cereal with 2% milk
2 oz. ground round patty
coffee with cream

Lunch:
large bowl hamburger/vegetable/barley soup
small slice pumpkin bread

H2Orange

Supper:
small bowl broccoli/cheese soup
1 slice meatloaf
1 slice pecan pie (one S Day event)
coffee
Last edited by TexArk on Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Sat Dec 26, 2009 4:15 pm

You'll turn a corner someday and want to follow the moderate eating of N Days. I think that the trend toward morbid obesity, like Kirstie Alley's, is from the ultimate failure of restrictive diets. They work for a time. Mine worked for 10 yeas. Ultimately, though, when they fail, you just cannot go back. You cannot last even for minutes on a restrictive diet. So -- don't go back. Go forward. I weigh within five pounds today of what I weighed last Christmas (when I'd been on this diet three months) and two Christmases ago (when I'd just started the Intuitive Eating approach), but I see incredible changes in how much I think about food and how much I enjoy foods that are good for me. See if you can find positive changes, other than weight loss, in what you have already done.
Kathleen

TexArk

Day 2 Year 2

Post by TexArk » Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:42 pm

Did fine yesterday and also got in a 30 minute walk.

Breakfast:
1 egg over Ezekiel toast
slice pumpkin bread
coffee with cream

Lunch:
slice pumpkin bread
meatloaf--large serving
slice pecan pie

Snack: (S Day and this is the end of Christmas!!!!)
pumpkin bread
slice pecan pie (it is all gone and out of sight)
1 tiny peanut butter cup

Supper:
1 small slice meatloaf (have to use leftovers up before leaving town)

The next few days will be a road trip and some stressful times, but NoS is the only way to go. I can eat out 3 sensible meals a day and will not snack on the road or indulge in sweets! I will just think how hard it would be to count calories or points and be thankful for NoS. And I do not have to carry my "special" food around with me.

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:20 pm

Back from road trip and taking care of the elderly. Daughter also moving back home for last semester of college. I have realized that clutter adds to my eating issues. I see all the mess and wander into the kitchen! That is why NoS is so good for me. No Snacking and Wait until S days for sweets. Keep it simple.

I start back to work next week so the routine will be in place. I know this is the only way to go even though I have gained a bunch since starting a year ago. But I have many life stressors all at once. I am not going to keep the HabitCal (too much like dieting) but I am going to post often to keep me accountable. I do not plan on weighing until I can fit in my pants again! The pant-o-meter is enough for now.

So today is an S day, but I have nothing planned after all the New Year's Eve eating.

I am interested in the intermittent fasting that some are trying. Just thinking.

Exercise needs to kick back in. I have really slipped. So here is to the New Year.

TexArk

Snowed In

Post by TexArk » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:21 pm

Today was supposed to be the first day of a normal routine after the holiday break, but school is closed due to snow. The thought had crossed my mind to use Mondays as an intermittent fasting day, but being at home stuck in the house all day, this just was not the time to try that! Anyway, I really need to get 21 days of good NoS in before I try the fasting day. I do like the idea though and I think it could help on that day after the 2 S days.

But for now I have to get back to fasting between meals!

And I must also try to get some indoor exercise going since I can't get out to walk.

Breakfast:
oats and a banana

Lunch:
Black bean soup
apple

Supper:
chicken fried steak (no gravy)
raw veggies with dip

Before I go to bed I will get in 15 minutes of hand weights!

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:49 am

Finally a decent N Day! It has been a strange week--back to school off and on -snow issues and extreme cold. No exercise but at least the 3 S's went smoothly today. I can feel my mind getting wrapped around the concept again.

Tomorrow is Friday and S Days are near which I don't need right now, but I do not want to mess around with the plan. Maybe if I can keep the N Day structures like I want to on S Days, and just keep S options available, I can keep the pattern going. Mmmm perhaps 3 plates plus one treat outside the house-portion control and nothing left to tempt on the home front.

OK my streak of 21 days has begun with Day 1. Yea me!

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:38 am

friday was a good n day
however i slipped on the ice and broke my wrist am waiting for swelling to go down will get cast monday hopefully no surgery

painful and can only peck with left hand so may not post much

saturday - 3 meals brought to me by dh and dd one kitkat bar as dessert

frugaltexan

Post by frugaltexan » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:00 am

Ouch! I hope your wrist heals quickly.
5'9 -- Laura --

Started July 23, 2009 -- 246.6
Restart: June 13, 2010 - 241.6
July 18, 2010 -- 235 .... - 11.6 lb loss in ~1 yr.
Back Again: January 13, 2012 -- 242.2 lbs

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:51 am

Sorry to hear about your wrist. Hope it heals quickly