Amanda Checking In

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Mandy55

Amanda Checking In

Post by Mandy55 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:53 pm

I've made it to Day 6 with no reds! I kind of like that I started in the middle of the week so that I was only 3 days away from an S day. I did go a little crazy over the weekend but I took everyone's advice and decided not to worry about the S days - they'll take care of themselves after you get good with the N days. We had a big family gathering on Sunday and I didn't obsess over what I should or shouldn't eat. I just thoroughly enjoyed myself and even ate a piece of cake without guilt. What a nice feeling. I've had kind of a crappy day at work which would normally lead me right to the snack machine but getting that GREEN sticker on my calendar tomorrow held me back. How funny that I'm motivated by a sticker - just like a kid! :P

Bushranger

Post by Bushranger » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:41 am

That's great news. Well done. :)

It's really quite miraculous how important seeing that green and avoiding red becomes. Your comment likening it to a sticker is quite accurate. That simple child like motivation is what makes it so powerful I think.

Pamela

Great Start!

Post by Pamela » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:26 pm

Good for you! I agree about the midweek start ... I did the same and had the same feeling.

Great first week! Keep it up and GO FOR THE GREEN!!
Hopeful and grateful,
Pamela

Mandy55

Post by Mandy55 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:37 pm

Day 6 finished up well. I was kind of worried about getting adjusted again on Monday but I got right back on track with the N days. I'm amazed about how little I'm thinking about food right now. When, I was on weight watchers, it was always on my mind. I was always counting points in my head and trying to figure out what I could do to stop the constant hunger. When I've done lowcarb, I wasn't hungry but I always felt like crap. With No S, I'm not hungry and I don't feel like crap. What a combo! Here's a summary of yesterday -

B- bacon, grits w/ cheese, banana
L- ham & swiss on whole wheat, pretzels, half an avocado
Mod - ostrich jerkee & vitamin water (100 cal max)
D- tomato soup w/ noodles, deli turkey, slice of cheese, wine

Mandy55

Post by Mandy55 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:11 pm

Day 7 was an oops.... But, the good news is I'm back today. I didn't give up like I usually do. I didn't continue to stuff myself all day just because I ate a pack of Whoppers. I wasn't even hungry but those Whoppers were just calling my name. I'll get better at telling myself no - I'm sure of it! It makes me sad to put a red sticker on my calendar... :(