Melba's Daily Check-In

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Bfrilkins

Melba's Daily Check-In

Post by Bfrilkins » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:47 pm

Well, here's the deal. A few years ago I used a non-sustainable method to lose 30 pounds (detailed calorie counting). Almost half of those pounds have crept back on, and they need to go.

I don't regret using calorie counting to jump start my weight loss, that is to loss a bunch in a relatively short amount of time (30 lbs, 4-5 months) it was very motivating and I learned a lot about calories and portion sizes (I was clueless--deluded into thinking that foods with good nutritional content, such as nuts or cheese, couldn't make me fat!) But the problem is that the calorie counting hasn't been sustainable--it's fun and interesting at first, but gets tiresome after several months. I didn't find calorie counting to be restrictive (I gave myself a reasonable amount of calories to "spend" each day and I never felt unsatisfied) but that it's just tedious to have to write everything down and log it into the computer each night, piece by piece to get the calorie count. :roll:

So, here I go jumping into the No-S plan. I am really excited. I was going to wait until October 1, but decided yesterday, why wait? So here I am!

Based on what I know works and doesn't work for me, I have a few variations on the No-S.
1) I will allow myself one small snack/sweet every day (truly a single portion size). Preferably I will save this to have some chocolate after dinner. That will be very motivating to me during the day as I want to reach for a snack, I will think no, I'd rather have some chocolate after dinner.
2) Balancing out #1 is that weekends are not special days for me. I don't think it makes sense for me to have weekends as special days. I actually look forward to adding some meal structure to my Saturdays and Sundays. On those days my eating tends to be chaotic as I don't have regular work hours to suggest when meal times are (and are not).
3) Fresh plain fruits or vegetables are acceptable between meals. But, even before these healthy snacks, I should first consider taking a walk and/or drinking water. This will help me to avoid eating due to thirst or stress.

Yesterday was my first day on No-S, and I was totally on track: breakfast, lunch and dinner. I didn't quite make it to post-dinner for my free "S", ended up eating a tablespoon of nutella with almonds pre-dinner. Have to admit that I didn't THINK about taking the nutella, I was thinking about other things, preoccupied, and suddenly was looking at the spoonful of nutella. I said to myself, ok, but that's it, no "S" after dinner. And I'll admit that my dinner was kind of weird (popcorn, cantelope, and some cheddar cheese), but I defined the meal ahead of time and that was it, no seconds, no snacks.

Today: It's just past lunch time, but so far I did fine with breakfast (which I tend to want to skip or short-change) and lunch. I had a salad plus some crackers. It was just a whole new box of crackers, not an individual portion. I counted out one portion of crackers and set the rest aside. I did not take any seconds on crackers, yeah me!

For the record, current weight is 145 (more or less, ok mostly on the more side lately). Goal is to be consistently under 140 and/or that my pants fit. 8) [/i]

Bfrilkins

So Far so Good

Post by Bfrilkins » Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:16 pm

So far, so good:
Wednesday: breakfast, lunch were fine, dinner went for Vietnamese noodles, which was a HUGE portion. Decided that to eat the whole thing would essentially be to take seconds, so I made a point to only eat half and take the rest home for another meal. (Ended up being a meal for the pigs, oh well).

Thursday: Worked from home. That's often a bad eating day, permasnack. But did great by just making myself define 3 meals (well, only 2 as I kind of missed breakfast/lunch due to sleeping in).

Friday: Kind of a disorganized day for eating, but No-S helped me to pull it together and be reasonable. Had yogurt, granola bar, carrots for breakfast/lunch (crazy day, never had time to really eat either meal all at once) then had early dinner out (Thai). Well, then I'm faced with a party with lots of snacks. I decided that would count as meal #3, but with the restriction of no seconds and no sweets (except my designated chocolate!). Declined many times to grab seconds off the treat table!

Saturday: Ended up with only two meals, again. Because of sleeping in way past breakfast. Brunch was a pbj sandwich and potato chips (without no-S the chips would have been probably the start of a permasnack day, instead, had to make them part of a meal!). Dinner was one that I would have felt guilty about if I were on another diet, but since it was a single-serving meal, No-s said it was just fine! Did have some melon as a planned dessert to that dinner (needed something to balance out all the grease!). Also had some fresh raspberries, eaten right out in the garden. Resisted urge to snack in the evening while reading.

Sunday: today! Haven't eaten yet. Will report later.

Bfrilkins

Ok...

Post by Bfrilkins » Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:44 am

Sunday: Did ok, had lunch, dinner1 and dinner2. Actually had dinner then seconds on dinner (3 taquitos). I did not skip breakfast, but slept right through it. So, I'm guessing that the snack/second counts as the third meal of the day. I know it's the weekend, but I don't do weekend as special days. They are hard enough to remember what I am eating when!

Monday: Today. Great. Had breakfast (yogurt), lunch (veg pizza and side salad) did NOT have snack I was dying for when I got home (went and spent time outside instead, got to see the moon come up and my dog act crazy, running around in the dusk; definitely can see how I would have been stress-eating if I'd had a snack), dinner (pizza) and my allotment of chocolate (mint chocolate, 6 pieces--even though nine is officially a serving, six keeps the calories under 200).

Tuesday: that's tomorrow, we'll see. :D

Bfrilkins

Funky Tuesday

Post by Bfrilkins » Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:16 am

Not sure if I would count today as success or failure:

Missed/skipped breakfast. Had salad and one serving (1 oz.) of crackers, but then added a few more crackers, which would be "seconds", except I thought if I missed breakfast altogether I should get a few extra crackers at lunch. But then I did end up with two more meals, well a pbj sandwich in the late afternoon but only ate half my dinner. Still had my daily chocolate allotment. My stomach's been doing funky things lately, bloated (probably from fibroid tumor acting up, but I don't know) and I don't always feel like eating even when I should. It kind of makes things weird. On one hand, it's easy to pass up unnecessary food. OTOH, going hungry too long makes me less thoughtful about making good choices when I do eat. And it's tempting to eat "comfort" foods to try to sooth my poor stomach.

So, I'm not sure how I would code this day. I'm tempted to estimate the calories (ok, I just did, about 1500-1600, which isn't bad at all); Old habits die hard! (old habits = calorie counting). So, in that light I'd call it a success, especially considering how much I wanted to do stress-snacking and refrained.

One nice thing is the weather just dropped, temperature-wise, and some warm tea sounds like a nice treat.

Bfrilkins

Weird Wednesday

Post by Bfrilkins » Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:01 am

Wednesday: sick with something and I slept all day. Really mean all day. I know I did have lunch and dinner. I think a late night snack in addition.

Thursday (today): Breakfast ok, lunch ok, dinner ok. But did end up with 2 Ss instead of the alloted 1. Had potato chips as a snack (one serving only, but still) AND 1 serving of chocolate. Ok, but not great.

Weight not going down yet, but not going up either, which is the trajectory I had been on.

Bfrilkins

A few more

Post by Bfrilkins » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:47 pm

Friday: OK, but feeling discouraged, because my pants were too tight and that made me feel impatient with the weight loss thing. It hasn't started happening yet. Well, actually not so OK on the NO-S, now that I think about it. Had self-serve taco salad bar for dinner, and did end up with some seconds, and then some kind of snack at night after folk dancing.
Saturday: messed up, but not horribly. I started the day eating a bunch of mini choc-pnb cups. Put me in the dilemma of how to use this program that is measuring success/failure per day when you start the day as a failure? But I got pretty much back on track for the rest of the weekend.
Sunday: ok, if I recall correctly
Monday: very good. Had reasonable breakfast/lunch got home and felt really hungy. Took the dogs for a walk instead and then was fine until dinner (we eat pretty late). Dinner sure tastes great when you are truly hungry!

No weight loss yet. Still fluctuating within the same range. :?
I'll give it a month total and see if I need to make some changes. I'm starting to suspect that for me NO-S will be great for maintaining my weight, but may not work for weight loss, unless I augment it somehow. Maybe more exercise--that's been a tough one as I've been tired from allergies or something. Or maybe do calorie counting for one month only, to get a jump start, and then shift to purely NO-S. Or maybe just be more patient!

Bfrilkins

Need to start writing this down?

Post by Bfrilkins » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:32 pm

Eek, today's Thursday, and I'm not sure if I can account for Tuesday. Let's see

Tuesday: breakfast (minimal, should have had more); lunch was salad & crackers; dinner pizza. Oh yeah, now I remember that day. I had a light lunch and was starving for dinner, which was late (9:00 p.m.). But I stuck to my guns, did not have a snack, but did sneak a couple bites as I was making dinner.

Wednesday: breakfast (again, need to beef up breakfast); lunch was salad, crackers, tomato, apple; dinner--came home hungry and there was a wonderful pork roast in the oven, smelled fabulous--had to go out and walk the dogs because I couldn't stand being in the house with that aroma and being hungry. Pork and pieroges for dinner. Not exactly diet food, but easy enough to eat one good sized serving and that's it (ok, I did pick up a few more bites of pork after!).

Issue #1: Not eating enough for breakfast/lunch. Breakfast is minimal and lunch is light. A light lunch would be sufficient if breakfast were decent, but it's not. So, need to work on better breakfasts.

Issue #2: Lost 8 pounds over night! (down to 141 from recent 149). Why is that an issue? I think that kind of wacky fluctuation means I need a new scale! Still have the very old one with erratic spring action.

Success: Two days in a row, came home hungry and held out for dinner. Appears that I can cope with hunger if I focus on actually dealing with feelings of stress (whether that to be going for a walk, or zoning out with a video and something to keep me busy like cell-phone game.). In reading the No-S book, there was mention of thinking of meal times like a metronome-tick, tick, tick- and you eat by the timing, not by your feelings or hunger. There is something really liberating about that. Funny how you might think of being able to eat whenever as "freedom", but that is really a huge burden, because you then have the burden to always be deciding whether to eat or not. Instead, if you just have three set meals per day, there is no deciding, it's either time to eat or it's not. Reminds me of my attitude toward money and spending and buying stuff. It's been liberating to cut back on buying new stuff, and quit buying new clothes altogether. No choices, no distractions, can get on with things.

Bfrilkins

Post by Bfrilkins » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:49 pm

Weight's been under 145 more consistently: 142-143 today in the middle of the day.

Anyway that last few days:
Thursday: fine, ordinary day
Friday: tough one, faced dinner with Elmer and then snacks at folk dancing. Did ok, but not quite No-s. Had only a light salad for dinner because I knew I'd have some snacks at fd. But did have seconds (etc.) on the snacks, AND went home and finished off the cheese spread (with crackers) that I had brought.
Saturday/Sunday: fine
Monday: fine, had breakfast, salad/crackers for lunch, tacos for dinner.
Tuesday: today, so far had pbj and chips/cheese for brunch, no dinner yet. It's our first rainy fall day, and toasty warm indoors. Makes me want to snack like mad, usually--but no great urges now. Think that is progress.

Bfrilkins

Continuing...

Post by Bfrilkins » Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:56 am

Tuesday finished up fine with pizza (home made) and carrots for dinner. Plus a fudgicle (my daily-S, rather than having special S days).

Wednesday: Oatmeal season has begun--woohoo! Had oatmeal/apples/brown sugar for bkfst; salad (no dressing, but it did have parm cheese on it) and crackers for lunch, then Pad Thai & tiny salad for dinner. Did have 2 samples at TJ plus chocolate for my regular S. So I could've/should've done without those samples, but not the end of the world. (Small success: DH went for snacks this evening, on the couch right next to me. I had 3 single cheesy puffs, but that was it. In the old days I easily could have jumped right in.)

But, I feel like I am over the hump and this is starting to work. It was discouraging just a few days ago because I had seen so much more rapid weight loss when I'd done more along the lines of calorie restriction. But I have to remind myself that this time around I am learning new habits. Also, that initial calorie-counting weight loss is mostly still lost. I was just looking back at the stats: started at 163-ish, got all the way down to 132 at one point, slid back up from there but never been back up past 145-ish. However, 140 was supposed to be my red flag point, not 145! We'll see. Actually the low 140's doesn't seem so bad as long as I am there in a stable way, and not just passing through en route to 150. I do feel back in control, in a more sustainable and manageable way.

I need new pants. No, I want new pants. Seems like I am always running out of pants in terms of laundry. But I don't want to break my streak (21 months) of no new clothes. OTOH, it's hard to find good pants at the thrift store. Wondering if I should use weight loss as an incentive, not incentive but as an excuse to buy new pants. Or new pants would be the incentive. Get down below 140 and you can buy new pants. (hehe, what I really want is a new pair of clogs, but can't see how that ties to weight loss). No, I won't buy new pants. But I will perhaps stick with the rule that shopping at the thrift store, I can only buy size 8s. That will be a motivator--staying in a size that is a bit snug right now. Ugh, a couple of fridays ago I made the mistake of wearing a "new" untested pair of pants. They were ones I bought this summer from the consignment shop ,size 8 tan jeans. The size/style would normally fit me well, but the previous owner must have shrunk them in the wash/dryer. So I ended up wearing these too tight pants all day, including to FD, which makes for a long day--especially dancing in them in front of that mirror! Possibly tight pants are a motivator to stick with eating plans, but OTOH, it is kind of depressing and demoralizing (ala learned helplessness) and perhaps not the best thing to do (sparks thoughts of "this diet just isn't working, why bother?).
But, to return to my actual mood now, I am feeling good about some very slow but steady progress. 8)

Girl Next Door

Post by Girl Next Door » Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:28 pm

Pants. . . they never lie. Sounds like you are making good progress though. I cannot handle pants that are too tight . . . part of the reason I'm wearing more skirts. :)

What kind of folk dancing do you do? I did international in the 80's and have recently gotten back into it with my 10 year old DD in tow. It's amazing what comes back.
Girl Next Door
"Don't I know you from somewhere?"

12/31/10 - 177
10/14/12 - 167
Healthy Range - 113-141

Bfrilkins

Post by Bfrilkins » Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:32 pm

Girl Next Door wrote:Pants. . . they never lie. Sounds like you are making good progress though. I cannot handle pants that are too tight . . . part of the reason I'm wearing more skirts. :)

What kind of folk dancing do you do? I did international in the 80's and have recently gotten back into it with my 10 year old DD in tow. It's amazing what comes back.
Yes, I do international folk dance as well! Been doing it since the 80's also, well since 89--just celebrated my 20 year "anniversary" last night. It's great fun and a great form of exercise.

Bfrilkins

A couple more days

Post by Bfrilkins » Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:39 pm

Maybe this tracking is getting boring for me! But it does keep me aware of what I'm doing. So keep at it!

Thursday: fine in terms of No-S, but probably high in overall calories (pbj (nutella) and cheese/crackers for late breakfast, salad with gargonzola/almonds for lunch, homemade pizza for dinner, plus daily allotment of chocolate.

Friday: Friday's seems to end up being an -S day for me. Maybe that's ok, but I have to think about whether it's also ok to have one daily -S on no-S days (i.e., the daily chocolate). Anyway, did fine with breafast/lunch/dinner, no snacks. But then had celebration cake at folk dancing (ok, if I have a piece of chocolate truffle cake every time I've been dancing for 20 years, guess that's ok for an -S). But then also had a small snack at home at night (weird green pea veggie snack puffs).

Saturday: today, so far had same late breakfast as Thursday, did end up having some "sneaks" so far (1-2 chocolate almonds and a couple spoons of whipped cream. haha that is pretty funny. I am mainlining whipped cream), anyway big pork roast bbq tonight. Important thing, I think is to just approach it with a PLAN. Like all you can eat salad and pork, but no dessert. Or limited plate of dinner, and a small dessert. I think I'd rather go for big dinner plate, and no dessert. The pork is the special event, the dessert, not so exciting. Can have an apple when I get home.

Bfrilkins

Well...

Post by Bfrilkins » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:52 pm

Saturday...not so great but not terrible at the bbq. Did have generous portions of main dish and dessert.
Sunday...was fine
Monday...breakfast ok, lunch was sketchy (had snacks while running around instead of a proper lunch), dinner had Thai soup only, but then icecream later and some rice crackers before bed. See, the snack-y lunch put me in that loose way of thinking, and was too easy to have snacks later in the day.
Tuesday (today): breakfast ok (juice & 2 granola bars. I know 2 looks like a lot. But, I've come to realize that only one isn't going to cut it and messes me up for the rest of the day.) Lunch had salad (no dressing, though not because I'm being good, but the garlic dressing can give me a stomach ache) and crackers & some dried fruit. Dinner---I am on my own for a week or two. I need to plan on making some favorites for meals instead of gravitating toward perma-snacking:
-clams & linguine
-clam chowder soup
-mac & cheese w/salad
-tacos
Hmm...tonight I have to go to Costco for eye exam @ 6:00. While I'm out I should either get a few groceries for my menu and/or grab something for dinner (burrito ?!) to give me a dedicated meal.

Bfrilkins

Almost a month

Post by Bfrilkins » Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:25 pm

It's been almost a month since I've started trying No-S. Have lost a couple pounds, which is great. Think I need to transition into more of a pass/fail system, like most people do for no-s. But I'll wait until next month, perhaps there will be a challenge and that will give me any easy place to log things in one spot. And/or add a little spot in my planner to track pass/fail No-s days, so that I can see the big picture more succinctly.

Finishing up yesterday (Tuesday): did ok with dinner (shrimp tacos) and did have some icecream, which is more than usual allotted chocolate, but at least it was planned. No more icecream at home, so I can go back to normal No-s.

Wednesday: Breakfast ok, lunch coming soon!

Bfrilkins

A few more

Post by Bfrilkins » Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:17 am

Wednesday: good
Thursday: good
Friday: I think maybe I've figured out how to handle the hungry after fd thing. I had bkfst and lunch on Friday (light lunch) and then a light supper before dancing and then supper #2 after dancing. I think that's just the way it has to be. But it's ok
Saturday (today): apple & granola bar for bkfast; sub & chips for lunch; mac & cheese & veggies for dinner & sauerkraut. thanks to no-s I did not eat the 2nd half of the mac & cheese even though I very much wanted to!! (And thanks to my awareness of calories to know that half the box is more than enough, even though the whole thing would fit on a plate or in a bowl!).

Still at around 142-143. So no more loss, but still down from before and not gaining. Went thrift shopping today and tried on a million pairs of pants. (Ended up buying like 9! shirts and only one pair of jeans, plus 2 sweat pants). Size 8s are often a little snug still. And even the ones that fit, the style just isn't right with the extra pounds. I think I need to tone up also. I really loved a pair of charcoal gray pants I tried on, but too small. I think that if I get down into the 130s then I can buy a new pair of charcoal gray pants. Yeah, goals! :o

Bfrilkins

Ok...

Post by Bfrilkins » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:48 pm

Weekend was good, tuesday good.
Monday/WEdnesday: ended up having evening snacks. Seems to be tied to *not having proper lunch and breakfast. Strange how I have to eat MORE to ultimately eat less. That's ok, I'm learning as I go. Made a point to go grocery shopping yesterday to have decent food for breakfast/lunch.

Weight starting to hover around 141...creeping down to 140.

*That coupled with stress eating. Stress and too much open time.

Bfrilkins

A few more

Post by Bfrilkins » Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:25 am

Thursday: :cry: bkfst/lunch ok, but had seconds with dinner (at Sally's) and dessert (fresh-baked apple cobbler with icecream, handed to me with a silver spoon, how could I resist?)
Friday: :cry: Can't even remember. Think that b/l/d were fine, but then chocolate fountain party at RFD. I actually did ok with the party, and had not too many sweets and chocolate, mostly ate fruit. Can't remember if I had a snack after. Main failure was not tracking.
Saturday: :D
Sunday: :?: had one very large (caloric) meal, most of a bowl of clam chowder soup, plus a heap of garlic fries. The garlic fries were like 1000+ calories (seriously) but I haven't eaten anything else the rest of the day (oh, except some chocolate). Not sure if today is a pass or fail. Pass because it was only one meal, fail because it was a gluttonous meal, and not sure if a pile of fries counts as a meal?! But you know, it was very satisfying, and the calories for the day weren't terrible. I think sometimes with this autumn weather I just have to have a hearty savory meal here and there.

Still ok on the scale, 140-141. Slow but steady!

Bfrilkins

November

Post by Bfrilkins » Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:31 am

Here's a simpler way to track things. Will have a better graphic representation as it's filled in:

November
1 = :?:
2 = :(
3 = :D
4 = :D
5 = :D
6 = :(
7 = :D
8 = :D
Monday 9= :(
Tuesday 10 = :D
Wednesday 11 = :D
Thursday 12 = :D
Friday 13 = :(
Saturday 14 = :D
Sunday 15 = :D
Monday 16 = :(
Tuesday 17 = :(
Wednesday 18 = :(
Thursday 19= :?:
Friday 20 = :?:
Monday 21 = :(
Tuesday 22 = :(
Wednesday 23 = :(
24 =
25 =
26 =
27 =
28 =
29=
30 =
Last edited by Bfrilkins on Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:01 am, edited 5 times in total.

Bfrilkins

OH

Post by Bfrilkins » Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:05 am

Oh, but if I only update that one page, then my topic gets shifted down to the bottom. Guess I can make comments from time to time. Doing good on the weight, like 140-141. Slow but steady. My one :( day was not so bad either, just some potato chips at the end of the day, and not an excessive amount. I did put a + for Sunday when I had eaten a giant pile of garlic fries for "lunch", I guess that was technically a single meal, but oodles of calories, but that ended up being filling enough, I didn't need dinner.

I do love the simplicity of no-s. Eventually it will have me not having to think about food and justify things. But I'm still getting settled in.

Kevin

Re: OH

Post by Kevin » Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:22 am

Sounds like you're working the plan. Keep it up!
Bfrilkins wrote:Oh, but if I only update that one page, then my topic gets shifted down to the bottom. Guess I can make comments from time to time. Doing good on the weight, like 140-141. Slow but steady. My one :( day was not so bad either, just some potato chips at the end of the day, and not an excessive amount. I did put a + for Sunday when I had eaten a giant pile of garlic fries for "lunch", I guess that was technically a single meal, but oodles of calories, but that ended up being filling enough, I didn't need dinner.

I do love the simplicity of no-s. Eventually it will have me not having to think about food and justify things. But I'm still getting settled in.
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

Bfrilkins

Hovering

Post by Bfrilkins » Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:04 pm

Still hovering around 141, but not yet cracked the 140s barrier down to the 130s. Been having lots of small breakfast/lunch and big dinner days. Need more exercise. Wish there were some easy No-s way to include exercise as well. Need to think about that one.

Have to say I'm not horribly motivated to get my weight down. I mean if I were, I'd just do it. Use a quickie scheme to get the weight down and then no-s to maintain it. Maybe some day. But really, my big motivation was to stop letting my weight creep up. And I have accomplished that. One thing at a time!

Kevin

Re: Hovering

Post by Kevin » Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:31 pm

I watch TV. I don't know if you do, but when I watch TV, I do a set of something at every commercial break. Pushups, situps, squats, curls with my resistance band, something. It gets to be a habit pretty quickly, and, in a couple of hours, you've done a fair amount of metabolism-quickening exercise.

Bfrilkins wrote:Still hovering around 141, but not yet cracked the 140s barrier down to the 130s. Been having lots of small breakfast/lunch and big dinner days. Need more exercise. Wish there were some easy No-s way to include exercise as well. Need to think about that one.

Have to say I'm not horribly motivated to get my weight down. I mean if I were, I'd just do it. Use a quickie scheme to get the weight down and then no-s to maintain it. Maybe some day. But really, my big motivation was to stop letting my weight creep up. And I have accomplished that. One thing at a time!
Kevin

Bfrilkins

fall/winter holidays

Post by Bfrilkins » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:50 am

Ok, I can see that upcoming seasonal eating is going to kick my butt (or add to my butt, more likely). Been nibbling on chocolate and nuts lately (candied nuts). I really do enjoy baking and making treats this time of year. But maybe I have to give that up unless I can make a strong determination to not sneak and snack as a result.

a. Think about a healthy cooking challenge for upcoming potlucks and holiday meals. (What would be a good dish to learn how to make?).
b. Need to have a strict plan before cooking any goodies (i.e., how you will set them aside).

Bfrilkins

Re: November

Post by Bfrilkins » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:30 am

Bfrilkins wrote:Here's a simpler way to track things. Will have a better graphic representation as it's filled in:

November
1 = :?:
2 = :(
3 = :D
4 = :D
5 = :D
6 = :(
7 = :D
8 = :D
Monday 9= :(
Tuesday 10 = :D
Wednesday 11 = :D
Thursday 12 = :D
Friday 13 = :(
Saturday 14 = :D
Sunday 15 = :D
Monday 16 = :(
Tuesday 17 = :(
Wednesday 18 = :(
Thursday 19=
Friday 20 =
Saturday 21 =
Sunday 22 =
23 =
24 =
25 =
26 =
27 =
28 =
29=
30 =

Bfrilkins

BREAKFAST & LUNCH

Post by Bfrilkins » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:33 am

Breakfast and lunch. Breakfast and lunch. If only I get those right I don't feel like snacking before or after dinner or going for seconds.

It's funny how I really have to make a point to eat MORE in order to ultimately eat less.

Kevin

Re: BREAKFAST & LUNCH

Post by Kevin » Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:10 am

Good observation.
Bfrilkins wrote:Breakfast and lunch. Breakfast and lunch. If only I get those right I don't feel like snacking before or after dinner or going for seconds.

It's funny how I really have to make a point to eat MORE in order to ultimately eat less.
Kevin

Bfrilkins

Ugh

Post by Bfrilkins » Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:03 am

Not doing so great lately. I've been failing most days lately to keep track even on days when I may have done no-s just fine. It's really time to shore up because the holidays are coming along. Baking lots of cookies and treats doesn't help!

I'll do the best I can through December. Then with my 2010 calendar, I'll make a way to include a spot for daily no-s check in.

Bfrilkins

Post by Bfrilkins » Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:56 pm

Well, you can see where November fizzled out and then I didn't even try through December. Got sick with a cold, crazy schedule, yeah, yeah, excuses. But it's a new year and new decade and time to start fresh. Oh, that is nonsense. More like the dead of winter is over, days are getting lighter and I need to get OUT of hibernation mode. No S No S No S.

So. happened to have a friend mention that her NY's resolution is to (re)lose weight. And that reminded me, thank goodness, oh yeah, I was going to start back in January as well. Fortunately I'd been having a no-s day anyway.

Friday Jan 1: lunch (ok), dinner (ok), dinner #2 (ok). Got up way too late for breakfast; staying up way to late to not have dinner #2.

This will be great to be on No S this month, as I am traveling and will on an irregular schedule. It will be good to have 3 squares, and no Ss to keep me on track.

Bfrilkins

January Quick Reports

Post by Bfrilkins » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:03 am

Friday, Jan 1 = :)
Saturday, Jan 2 = :)
Sunday, Jan 3 = :)
(FORGOT TO EVEN KEEP TRACK, especially when out of town Jan 6-13)

Monday, Jan 18 = :)
Tuesday, Jan 19 = :( (thrown off by chocolate at work, didn't even think about what I was doing)
Wednesday, Jan 20 = :)
Thursday, Jan 22 = :)

1/3: GOOD SO FAR. KEEP IT UP!
1/22: Whoah, the month really got off track. Didn't do too well while traveling.

Bfrilkins

New Year New Month

Post by Bfrilkins » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:38 am

Well, I started the new year ok for like three days and then went out of town for a week and totally forgot to even try to count. But the good news is while I was there I went shopping and bought a weekly planner. There's plenty of room in there to jot down my 3 Ss checklist each day. That wasn't the case last year when I only had a monthly planner.

Weight still hovering in the low to mid 140s. So no creeping gain, but no loss either. If we hit spring and I haven't broken into the 130s, I'll have to revert to the good old annoyed calorie counting weight loss. Spring just seems like a natural time to shed pounds. Then no S alone will work well to keep the pounds off.