Starla Starts

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Starla

Starla Starts

Post by Starla » Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:48 pm

Today is my 21st day on NO-S; I began on Labor Day. I visited my mother on Labor Day weekend, and she told me about it, and it just made so much sense to me. I have a ton of weight to lose, so much that I feel like writing down a goal would just depress me. So I'm focusing on getting into a habit, and I've been perfect.

Things I've learned so far:

If I expect to eat a salad for lunch, I better make a GOOD salad.
Plate the most tempting part of my meal last, in the space that's left over from everything else.
I'm using a lot more plates!
Man, my office has a ton of treats. It really is easier for me to make them all totally off limits.
When I'm eating only three meals a day, I see no reason to waste any part of them on things I don't like or only tolerate. So no more beets!

It's helped me SO much to read other daily check-ins, especially the long-termers, so it's time for me to put myself out there and be open, accountable and a little vulnerable too. Because I guess I'm really doing this thing!

On this S-day, I've eaten a bowl of Kix cereal, skim milk and a banana for breakfast. I have a lovely piece of German chocolate cake, and that will probably be lunch. And I'm making vegetable soup for this week's suppers, which I'll eat with toasted parmesan foccacia bread and butter. I'll enjoy it all.

mimi

Post by mimi » Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:34 pm

Welcome Starla!
You will LOVE NoS, as I'm sure you suspect by now from everyone's comments and your own experiences these past 21 days. It's simple and it works. From someone who has been yo-yo dieting on and off pretty much since my teens, I have found this to be the ONLY eating solution that has removed my *diet head*. The angst is gone, along with the constant head chattering, debating, guilty feelings, and beating myself up - they all have ceased. What could be better than that? They have been replaced by a peaceful demeanor and a calm relationship with food and eating. This part of NoS is the most important to me - the weight loss is wonderful too, don't get me wrong, but clearing out the diet personality means more.
I am slowly, but surely, losing weight (about 1/2 pound a week). I'm older and not extreme with my eating. I've been eating *real* food that I love - no low fat-no fat stuff, and I enjoy my S's on the weekends. I only weigh at the first of each month, but probably won't weigh this month because I'm presently sporting a huge cast on my right leg. A year from now I expect to weigh about 30 pounds less than when I began in May. I really don't care how long it takes - I'll let my body be the judge of that!
I wish you the same type of success with NoS as the long-termers you've been reading about. Visit the boards often and everyone will help you along with your journey. It sounds like you're off to a great start! Good luck!

Mimi :D
Discovered NoS: April 16, 2007
Restarted once again: July 14, 2011
Quitting is not an option...
If you start to slip, tie a knot and hang on!
Remember that good enough is... good enough.
Strive for progress, not perfection!

Starla

Post by Starla » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:04 pm

^^Thank you so much for the welcome, Mimi. You are one of the long-timers I've found so helpful. I saw the picture of you with your huge cast! I am very impressed that you are not using your misadventures as an excuse to take a break from No S. I would be SO tempted!

As for the daily check-in Monday:

B - bagel with peanut butter; banana
L - large salad; orange
D - bowl of homemade vegetable soup and toasted parmesan foccacia.

SUCCESS!

mimi

Post by mimi » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:05 pm

Starla wrote:^^Thank you so much for the welcome, Mimi. You are one of the long-timers I've found so helpful. I saw the picture of you with your huge cast! I am very impressed that you are not using your misadventures as an excuse to take a break from No S. I would be SO tempted!
Awww! You're so kind Starla! I'm so glad you've found my *ramblings* helpful! Well...on Monday I had my first red day since mid-May...bummer. :cry: Since my accident, with all these wonderful people feeding us, I've been allowing just a tiny bit of dessert each evening after our meal with my coffee (that's usually my dessert!). I think I must have been very anxious about my doctor's appointment on Tuesday morning...anyway, I ate two snacks after dinner - half an apple, and later, several blocks of chocolate - in ADDITION to the dessert. I marked it red and moved on. In contrast with all the green n-days I've had, one red is a small thing. However, I need to find other ways to *nurture* myself when feelings like this come up in the future. I'm only recognizing it as misguided nurturing because of KCCC's *a-ha* realization on her check-in thread.
Keep up your good work!

Last edited by mimi on Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Starla

Post by Starla » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:17 pm

^^Only one red day since May? Congratulations - that is very impressive. I think the "mark it and move on" part is going to be my biggest challenge.

Tuesday's meals were exactly like Monday's, except I had an apple with breakfast instead of a banana.

SUCCESS!

Starla

Post by Starla » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:58 pm

Wednesday was just like Tuesday - SUCCESS!

Today may be a rough one. I have that "depressed for no reason" feeling, and I didn't bring lunch. I've been making a salad every day, but I don't want one today. I don't think I'm sabotaging myself; I think I'm just sick of salads.

mimi

Post by mimi » Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:41 pm

Starla, if you're sick of salads, then you need to eat something that you do love and enjoy! Even if you didn't pack a lunch, you can eat out pretty safely. Soup and sandwich at Panera Bread? I'm not a huge advocate of fast food, but an occasional burger and fries won't hurt anyone. Think about what's in the vicinity of your office.
Stay away from the office treats and plan what you'll do for lunch. Remember, if you fail to plan, you plan to fail!
Above all, try to shake that *depressed for no reason* feeling. Maybe this will help...

Hope you have a really good day...and a really good lunch! I'd join you if I could! :D

Starla

Post by Starla » Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:09 pm

Thanks, mimi. Did you know I can get from my desk to Panera and back in 9 minutes? I knew I was having soup for supper yesterday, though, so I had a sub sandwich from Jimmy John's and an orange. So Thursday was another suceess, and today I'm back to a salad and orange for lunch.

I'm really looking forward to my S days!

Starla

Post by Starla » Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:23 pm

The weekend went fairly well. I had my usual chocolate-covered almonds for a treat on Saturday and some popcorn Saturday evening, but I didn't eat very healthily the rest of the day.

We were discussing our fave childhood treats at work last week, and the discussion turned to Drumsticks, which I loved, and which I started to crave, so I bought myself a box for this weekend. My plan was to have one Drumstick as a treat on Sunday, but I definitely had to think about this one. Would I eat the whole box during my S-days? Would I eat them this week on N-days? And I had to decide whether or not I trust No-S enough to put a box of Drumsticks in my freezer. (I think any thin person reading that sentence would think "That woman has lost her mind.") And I decided I DO trust No-S and I trust myself. That was a big step for me, and I hope I read this post a year from now and see this as one of the turning points in a new lifestyle. I ate one Drumstick on Sunday as a treat, as planned. Loved it.

Starla

Post by Starla » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:18 pm

Yesterday was a success. Breakfast and lunch were my usual workday meals; supper was a hamburger, roast potatoes and cooked carrots. I've been craving beef after having vegetable soup for most of my main meals last week, so this was delicious.

Starla

Post by Starla » Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:16 pm

Success yesterday.

Today is the one-month anniversary of my start of No-S. I weighed myself this morning, and I have lost 7.5 pounds! I'm pretty happy with that. I was perfect for the month, with no extra S days. Almost as an aside, I've gone from drinking all Diet Coke to drinking all water.

Today I start to add exercise - 5 minutes/day on the treadmill, with the minutes increasing by one minute each week.

So far, everything that the long-time No-S'ers have said about this diet is true - it gets easier, it works, it stops making food the center around which the rest of my life revolves. That's such a sad way to live, and I'm so grateful to have found this.

Starla

Post by Starla » Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:56 pm

Success yesterday, and I did start treadmill. Even five minutes is boring, so today I'll listen to music while I'm on it. I was running late this morning and didn't have time to make my lunch, so it will be sub sandwich today. I love this diet!

Starla

Post by Starla » Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:32 pm

Success yesterday, although not the healthiest I've ever eaten. Today will be a long day, but tomorrow's an S Day!

Starla

Post by Starla » Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:45 pm

Yesterday WAS a long day, but it was a success, if success means that supper was three pieces of pizza.

Starla

Post by Starla » Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:30 pm

I had opposite problems on my S-days. Saturday I worked an adoption fair for the cat rescue group I volunteer with. That meant no lunch, and by the time I got home I was too tired to make a meal. So my food intake for the day was a bowl of Kix cereal with a cup of skim milk, one banana, two slices of toasted sesame semolina bread and about 5 ounces of chocolate-covered almonds.

Sunday I stayed home and did laundry, cut up vegetables for freezing and made soup. The only treat I had was an ice cream Drumstick, but I did eat more than I was hungry for and was a little short on veggies. I had the Kix cereal/banana/skim milk for breakfast, the Drumstick and two egg rolls for lunch, and Zuppa Toscana with more toasted sesame semolina for supper. Oh, and I had a Blue Bunny fruit bar after supper too. Writing it down it doesn't look like as much as it felt like.

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:07 pm

You sound like you are doing great. Congratulations!
Starla wrote:Success yesterday.

Today is the one-month anniversary of my start of No-S. I weighed myself this morning, and I have lost 7.5 pounds! I'm pretty happy with that. I was perfect for the month, with no extra S days. Almost as an aside, I've gone from drinking all Diet Coke to drinking all water.

Today I start to add exercise - 5 minutes/day on the treadmill, with the minutes increasing by one minute each week.

So far, everything that the long-time No-S'ers have said about this diet is true - it gets easier, it works, it stops making food the center around which the rest of my life revolves. That's such a sad way to live, and I'm so grateful to have found this.
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

Starla

Post by Starla » Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:18 pm

^^Thank, Kevin! I very much appreciate your encouragement to newbies like me. I see you are the founder of the 21-day club, and that was a very big motivator for those first 21 days. I don't count my days any more because this seems like the natural way to eat, but it was so helpful to have a short-term goal when I was starting out.

Yesterday was a success. I almost always have the same breakfast and lunch on work days - bagel with peanut butter and an apple for breakfast, and a salad and orange for lunch. Supper was soup and toasted bread with butter.

Starla

Post by Starla » Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:13 pm

Success the past two days. I can tell how routine this is becoming; I'm not in a rush to post every sucess.

Starla

Post by Starla » Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:11 pm

Yesterday was a success. I didn't have time to make a salad for lunch, so I had a chicken salad sandwich from Panera. Mmmmmmm. Not the healthiest choice, but it was delicious. I did succeed in having an apple for my side instead of chips.

Today is bosses' day, and we have quite a spread, so I'll be having jambalaya, cornbread, salad and egg rolls for lunch (all on one plate, of course). And I'll skip the dessert.

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:34 pm

Uhm, can I come to lunch with you today?
Starla wrote:Yesterday was a success. I didn't have time to make a salad for lunch, so I had a chicken salad sandwich from Panera. Mmmmmmm. Not the healthiest choice, but it was delicious. I did succeed in having an apple for my side instead of chips.

Today is bosses' day, and we have quite a spread, so I'll be having jambalaya, cornbread, salad and egg rolls for lunch (all on one plate, of course). And I'll skip the dessert.
Kevin

Starla

Post by Starla » Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:38 pm

^^You SHOULD be able to - actually everyone on the board should be able to, because No S is the reason we're having the spread. One of my co-workers knows I'm doing No S, and she's watched me skipping the treats we have, and she initiated a lunch so that I could be included. What a sweetheart!

Starla

Post by Starla » Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:29 pm

Yesterday was a success. I had a big lunch, as noted above, but I wasn't very hungry at supper time and just had a couple pieces of toast with butter.

Starla

Post by Starla » Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:15 pm

Yesterday was a success. Mondays are my easiest days of No S. It's almost a relief to get back after the weekend.

B - bagel with peanut butter and an apple.
L - salad and an orange
S - two homemade chicken enchiladas, cooked carrots and two slices of toasted Vienna bread with butter.

Treadmill is up to 7 minutes a day this week.

buttercreampillow

Post by buttercreampillow » Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:44 pm

You're doing so well, Starla! Give yourself a big pat on the back!

buttercream
Natural Eater

Starla

Post by Starla » Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:21 pm

^^Thank, buttercream!

Yesterday was a success - same as Monday, except that there was a plate of cheese and crackers at the office, and I had a small piece of butterkase cheese with my salad.

I could not find my glasses this morning, and ran out of time to make a lunch, so it will probably be a sub sandwich for me. I love that I can have this for lunch on No S and not feel guilty about it.

Starla

Post by Starla » Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:08 pm

Yesterday was a success, with a roast beef sub for lunch and everything else the same as Monday.

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:05 pm

Starla wrote: Mondays are my easiest days of No S. It's almost a relief to get back after the weekend.
Me, too! I'm having a three S-day weekend - so Monday should be even nicer :)

I'm really feeling recharged now that I know what works for me and I can just quit over-thinking and go with it :)

Starla

Post by Starla » Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:32 pm

^^That's great, Dandelion! I feel like I'm in a groove - everything about this is easy for me right now. I don't expect it to always be that way, but I'm enjoying it while it lasts.

Thursday and Friday were successes. Pretty routine.

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:19 pm

That's exactly how I look at it. I know it won't always be easy - but I can enjoy it while it lasts !

Hope you have a good weekend :)

Starla

Post by Starla » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:11 pm

The weekend was OK - a little overeating, but nothing too dramatic, and I don't worry about S days.

Yesterday was a success. The usual for breakfast and lunch; beef stew with toasted sesame semolina bread and butter for supper. Beef stew is one of my perfect fall foods.

Starla

Post by Starla » Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:13 pm

Well, after bragging about how easy this is for me, yesterday was just a hard day. Really hard. I was tired and grumpy. Managed to make it a success simply because I had no sweets in the house. I did have two pieces of bread with my stew, but I didn't count that as a failure. I was hungry at suppertime, I planned on eating two pieces and I ate them.

I've noticed that for me fatigue is much harder to combat than hunger. I know hunger, and I know it will be satisfied in a couple hours at most. There's almost a perverse pleasure in feeling hungry. It's an affirmation that my eating habits really have changed. When I'm tired during a work day I know I'm going to be tired until I go to bed.

Starla

Post by Starla » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:05 pm

Back on track yesterday.

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:48 pm

I wouldn't count that as a failure either. We had chicken soup and biscuits the other day, and I had two biscuits - but that is how many I have every time. It's just how many it 'takes'.

tired is a big factor for me, because food really does provide a shot term boost of energy. Being hypothyroid, I"m often tired - which leads to overeating quite easily.

And I find perverse pleasure in feeling a bit hungry, too :)

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:33 pm

I don't think mild hunger provides a perverse pleasure - I think it provides a mental advantage. I'm much sharper when I'm between-meals hungry.
Dandelion wrote:I wouldn't count that as a failure either. We had chicken soup and biscuits the other day, and I had two biscuits - but that is how many I have every time. It's just how many it 'takes'.

tired is a big factor for me, because food really does provide a shot term boost of energy. Being hypothyroid, I"m often tired - which leads to overeating quite easily.

And I find perverse pleasure in feeling a bit hungry, too :)
Kevin

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:37 pm

I have noticed the same thing Kevin. Maybe it's a remnant of our hunter gatherer days when we had to stay sharp to find and chase down food.

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:40 pm

Interesting hypothosis...

Whatever it is, I prefer to feel between-meal hungry to full. I don't fear that feeling anymore. I just feel better that way.
Dandelion wrote:I have noticed the same thing Kevin. Maybe it's a remnant of our hunter gatherer days when we had to stay sharp to find and chase down food.
Kevin

Starla

Post by Starla » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:51 pm

Dandelion wrote:I have noticed the same thing Kevin. Maybe it's a remnant of our hunter gatherer days when we had to stay sharp to find and chase down food.
This is exactly what I thought when I read Kevin's comment. I think you're my No S soulmate, Dandelion!

Yesterday was a good, strong day. Treadmill is up to 8 minutes/day, at least five days a week, and I did 20 minutes. I felt really good all day.

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:33 pm

You know Starla - I've been amazed a few times already by things you've said that are so much like I would be thinking. It's fun, isn't it?!

Starla

Post by Starla » Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:29 pm

Business as usual yesterday - success. This morning I have three unopened bags of Halloween candy, and it's an S day, so I could be eating them. And I'm not even tempted, because I have some chocolate covered almonds for a treat today. And I almost cannot believe I'm at the point where I'm not seizing the opportunity to eat them both.

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:20 pm

Chocolate covered almonds sounds much better :) We haven't opened ours yet - but it just doesn't look that good to me, either.

Starla

Post by Starla » Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:22 pm

Well, I had by far my worst weekend on No S. It all started with the almonds - I bought a different kind this weekend, and they were not good. In fact, they were BAD. So bad that I threw half of them away! Chocolate-covered almonds have been my treat every weekend, and I never get sick of them. This weekend I learned that Drumsticks are not chocolate-covered almonds. Neither are Mounds and M & Ms. Even a second plate of spaghetti does not turn into chocolate-covered almonds.

So did I learn anything? Yes, and I need to record this in big letters so that I never forget it. NEXT TIME JUST GO OUT AGAIN AND GET THE DAMN ALMONDS!

So today I get to practice what I preach - telling myself that I cannot fail on S days, and trying to "mark it and move on." The good news is that I made a lovely salad for lunch. The bad news is that I won't be getting home until late, and I definitely won't be doing treadmill.

Treadmill is up to at least 9 minutes a days this week/five times per week. Treamill went really well this weekend - 25 minutes yesterday.

Starla

Post by Starla » Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:03 pm

Success yesterday, which was nice after a rough weekend. Breakfast was bagel, PB and an apple. Salad and an orange for lunch, spaghetti with meat sauce and broccoli for supper. I hope for the same today.

Starla

Post by Starla » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:10 pm

Another good day, with meals as planned and 25 minutes on the treadmill. I'm not quite back into the almost Zen-like calmness, but I'm not really struggling either.

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:24 pm

I love the 'just get the almonds' comment. So right.

Mrs. Toast

Post by Mrs. Toast » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:58 pm

Sounds like you're doing great Starla, way to go! :D

Starla

Post by Starla » Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:05 pm

^^ Thanks tlang! I am very pleased with this system of eating.

Another success yesterday. Meals as planned, and 16 and a half minutes on the treadmill.

Starla

Post by Starla » Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:48 pm

Success. Meals as planned and 30 minutes on the treadmill. I'm going out to dinner tonight and then to see "Carmen," so I won't be getting any exercise today. I'm really happy with how treadmill is going. I'm feeling stronger and healthier.

Starla

Post by Starla » Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:11 pm

Yesterday was a success. I went out to dinner, but chose a meal that would fit on one plate - snow crab enchiladas with Mexican rice. Mmm mmmm good. I was able to completely ignore the basket of fresh, hot fried tortilla chips and salsa. No exercise, though, and that was the second day of the week I skipped treadmill, so I'll be doing it both days this weekend.

Today is my two-month anniversary of doing No-S, and my official monthly weigh-in. I lost nine pounds this past month, for a total of 16.5. Back in 2002 I lost 38 pounds using Slim Fast. I am now one pound ABOVE what I started at then, and I want to put this in writing in case I am ever tempted to go back to that. I lost that weight and then over the next 7 years gained it all back plus an additional 16.5 pounds.

I'm going out to breakfast this morning, and even though it's an S day I know I will be able to keep it to one plate. That's the first prong of No S that's made it into my weekends. I've learned that one plate is not only enough, it's plenty.

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:58 am

Excellent progress! You're doing great :)

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:35 pm

Fantastic progress. Good for you!
Kevin

Starla

Post by Starla » Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:22 pm

I had a good weekend - very busy, and the weather was beautiful. I ate a few treats, didn't go overboard with anything, and walked on the treadmill both days - 31 minutes yesterday.

Treadmill's up to 10 minutes/day minimum, five days a week.

ETA: Woo hoo! I made it to page 2!

Starla

Post by Starla » Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:14 pm

Success yesterday. The usual for breakfast and lunch. I had a hamburger on a toasted bun and herbed potatoes and carrots for supper. I walked on the treadmill for 16:30, which is when the battery on my mp3 player died. It was an easy day.

Starla

Post by Starla » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:10 pm

Success yesterday. Same as Monday, except 30 minutes on the treadmill. I'm going to dinner with a friend tonight, so there will be no treadmill today.

Starla

Post by Starla » Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:11 pm

Success yesterday, and it was a tough one. My dinner plans fell through, and I got home about an hour and a half later than usual - starving, and with nothing planned for supper. I made myself a hamburger, and in my freezer I found a rice/vegetable microwavable side dish. It was horrible. Not only did it have no flavor, it seemed to repel any seasonings I tried to add. So I threw most of it away, and then decided it would be a failure if I made something else. I waited for 15 minutes and realized I felt just fine without additional food.

I wonder if the frozen rice/veggies tasted so bad because I've been eating almost all fresh vegetables and fruit for the past several months.

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:14 pm

I would have made something else and not felt bad about it at all. You're last name isn't Sparta by any chance, is it? :)
Starla wrote:Success yesterday, and it was a tough one. My dinner plans fell through, and I got home about an hour and a half later than usual - starving, and with nothing planned for supper. I made myself a hamburger, and in my freezer I found a rice/vegetable microwavable side dish. It was horrible. Not only did it have no flavor, it seemed to repel any seasonings I tried to add. So I threw most of it away, and then decided it would be a failure if I made something else. I waited for 15 minutes and realized I felt just fine without additional food.

I wonder if the frozen rice/veggies tasted so bad because I've been eating almost all fresh vegetables and fruit for the past several months.
Kevin

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:14 pm

I wouldn't be surprise, Starla. I have been eating 'real' food for so long - haven't even used a microwave in at least 7 years that all that stuff tastes nasty to me. :)

Starla

Post by Starla » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:43 pm

Kevin wrote: You're last name isn't Sparta by any chance, is it? :)
Ha! You've never seen me and my chocolate covered almonds!

My problem was that I tasted, seasoned, tasted, seasoned, tasted, seasoned and then realized I had no real feel for how much I had actually eaten. So I decided to go without for 15 minutes to see if I was really still hungry or not.

Starla

Post by Starla » Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:58 pm

Success yesterday with eating, but I did not do treadmill, and that's the second day this week I've skipped it. That means I have to do it today and both days this weekend. It's so easy for me to get out of the treadmill habit; I think today may be a make-or-break day for me. Just 10 minutes! I can do 10 minutes! And then, for some reason, I don't. Wish me luck.

Starla

Post by Starla » Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:16 pm

Success yesterday, treadmill included. Today should be a good S day - I'm working an adoption fair, so I'll be very busy all day, and I have my chocolate-covered almonds, so my treat is all set.

Starla

Post by Starla » Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:57 pm

I had a good, busy weekend, and was happy with my eating and treadmill. Today I discovered two boxes of Girl Scout cookies on my desk when I got to work, and I'm not even freaked out by that. They'll go in the freezer until next weekend.

I made some delicious chicken chile last night, and I'm looking forward to eating it this week. Treadmill is up to at least 11 minutes/day, at least five days per week. It's all good right now.

Starla

Post by Starla » Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:52 pm

Success the last two days, eating and treadmill, and things look good for today. I think I "win" my N days at approximately 7:00 AM, which is when I either make or don't make my lunch salad. I think lunch is where I'm creating a calorie deficit.

Starla

Post by Starla » Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:13 pm

Success Wednesday and Thursday. I've been struggling with treadmill, but did 30 minutes yesterday. I feel so much better once I've done it; I don't know why part of me is so resistant.

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:08 pm

When I was a teenager, I girl I knew used to say "Want a face massage? It feels really good when I stop."

That's like exercise. :)
Starla wrote:Success Wednesday and Thursday. I've been struggling with treadmill, but did 30 minutes yesterday. I feel so much better once I've done it; I don't know why part of me is so resistant.
Kevin

Starla

Post by Starla » Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:09 pm

LOL, Kevin. It's really not like that. When I've done a session on the treadmill I just feel really good. I think it's very important to my health to get this exercise in, and I think it also helps speed up the weight loss.

I've had a successful week on No S, and I'm proud of this one. In addition to Girl Scout cookies, I also got a delivery of cheese ordered for a school fundraiser (yes, kind of weird, but I'm in Wisconsin). It's excellent cheese from a local cheesemaker, and it included a block of Havarti, which I love, and which has 120 calories for a 1" cube. On top of that, a friend is visiting from Switzerland, and she brought me 14 oz. of Swiss chocolate. All resisted.

I may make a grilled cheese sandwich with some of the Havarti, but I plan to use the rest of it and the other cheese to make a cheese plate for Thanksgiving. I have two nephews living in college dorms right now, and they can have the GS cookies. I plan to enjoy a little Swiss chocolate this weekend, and the boys can have the rest of that too.

I've found that No S has made me think of all this differently. I'm no longer involved in a mental tug-of war between EAT IT! EAT IT! and NO! YOU CAN'T EAT THIS! IT'S FATTENING! The question has become "How can I enjoy this without going overboard?"

This is like a miracle to me.

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:35 pm

I'm with Kevin :). I don't like 'exercise'. But I love 'doing stuff' - using natural body movements and a range of activities :) So that's what I do.

It's so great that you got all that stuff and were able to set it aside for the weekend. Isn't it amazing that *not* eating something could be so much more fun than eating it?

Starla

Post by Starla » Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:16 pm

Dandelion, I wish I was like you. I like to do stuff like reading and listening to music - left to my own devices, I'm really quite a slug! So I have to consciously add exercise. I did well this past weekend - 37 minutes on Saturday and 41 minutes on Sunday.

I don't want to go into the long Thanksgiving weekend feeling deprived, so I made two things I love for suppers this week - lemon basil pasta with shrimp, and grilled asparagus. Treadmill is up to at least 12 minutes/day, 5 days a week.

Starla

Post by Starla » Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:03 pm

Success the first three days of the week, and it's now Thanksgiving morning. I'm getting ready to head up north for a long weekend. Right now I'm pretty confident that I'll be able to keep idiocy at bay for the weekend, and I'm very thankful for this calmness.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:51 pm

Good for you Starla!
:D Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

Starla

Post by Starla » Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:30 pm

Thanks, Deb!

I kept to one plate for my Thanksgiving meal, except for dessert. I DID snack too, and I overate for the day.

My sister and I started Friday with a nice walk, and I happily returned to N-day eating. Then I was hit with either stomach flu or food poisoning, and Friday night was miserable. Saturday, because of the sickness, I had only two saltine crackers and one popsicle. I feel fine today, but I sure won't be going overboard.

What a rotten way to have a holiday weekend with controlled eating.

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:30 am

Not a good holiday, indeed. I hope you're feeling better!

Starla

Post by Starla » Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:16 pm

Monday and Tuesday were successes, and I was back on the treadmill yesterday, the first exercise I've had since Friday. Treadmill is 13 minutes per day/five days a week. I did 23 minutes last night; it felt good, and just the right amount to get back into this.

Starla

Post by Starla » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:52 am

I had my first failure today since starting this on Labor Day. I am NOT HAPPY. We had our office Christmas party tonight, at a bar/restaurant. I assumed we'd be getting meals, but we didn't - just an unending supply of appetizers, all fried. I made up a small plate, and then ate more.

So I failed for this food that I didn't want and didn't even enjoy. I was at a restaurant; all I had to do was order something I could make a meal out of.

Starla

Post by Starla » Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:03 pm

Well, after I posted Thursday night, I also had a Drumstick, so I managed to fail in all three aspects of the plan.

I was back on track yesterday, green day with treadmill. The past week has been a hard one.

Starla

Post by Starla » Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:33 pm

I had a very good weekend - controlled treats, 45 minutes and 50 minutes on the treadmill. I turned down a college basketball game (and I LOVE going to college bb games) because I knew what I needed to get done this past weekend. I got everything done without stressing out, and I'm kind of proud of the fact that I gave myself what I needed, and I ignored the inner brat's voice that was saying "But I want to go to the basketball game!" Christmas cookie baking starts this week, and I made myself a delicious beef/barley/vegetable soup. I won't feel like cooking, and this ensures I will have something nourishing and enjoyable for suppers.

Today is my 3-month anniversary of No-S. I lost 9 pounds this past month, for a total of 25 and a half pounds. 9 seems a little high, but it was aided, if that's the right word, by my food poisoning/stomach flu issue over Thanksgiving weekend. I've also been putting in some good minutes on the treadmill.

I also had my first failure this past month. I hate seeing that damn red square on my Habit Cal. I was able to "mark it and move on," without either falling apart or punishing myself. I guess I'm glad to know I was able to handle it.

Starla

Post by Starla » Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:11 pm

Monday and Tuesday were successes. Today is a snow day - 16+ inches of snow since last night, and I'm staying home and starting my Christmas baking one day early.

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:22 pm

Sounds like you're doing very well. I also like the sound of that soup :)

We had some snow - but mostly serious cold. It felt like a heat wave today - all the way up to 27 degrees :)

Starla

Post by Starla » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:02 pm

Wednesday and Thursday were successes, but hard ones. It's very difficult to have these days revolve around baking without eating (and I've decided I'm staying strictly N until Saturday). My meals have definitely been larger, but I'm OK with that.

Dandelion, we moved into the bitter cold yesterday, with more today. We're supposed to hit the 20's this weekend. Woo hoo!

Starla

Post by Starla » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:46 pm

Pretty bad weekend. I stayed in and baked, and because I could finally eat the cookies - I did. I realized that, for the first time since I started, this weekend I went totally back to my old way of eating - very few vegetables, lots of pre-made, easy-to-prepare main dishes.

Today's the last day of baking (thank goodness!) and I'm glad it's an N day. I have to get back on track.

Starla

Post by Starla » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:13 pm

Success Monday and Tuesday, eating and treadmill. I survived the cookie baking, but I did lose my sense of complacency. I am still just as capable of downing cookie after cookie as I ever was. I didn't DO that, for the most part, but it was hard.

Starla

Post by Starla » Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:27 pm

Success Wednesday and Thursday. I felt really good yesterday and did 40 minutes on the treadmill, which is a lot for me on a work day.

Starla

Post by Starla » Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:11 pm

Green days last Friday, Monday and Tuesday, and the weekend was OK - good on Saturday, not so good on Sunday. We're having a potluck for lunch today at work, and my contribution is potatoes cooked with half and half, butter and cheese.

I've had a cold since Saturday night, so I haven't been eating a lot, but I've been getting NO exercise.

Starla

Post by Starla » Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:08 pm

I took 4 S days over Christmas, and I got absolutely no exercise last week, so I was wondering how a return to No S would go.

Yesterday was GREEN!

Breakfast - bagel with peanut butter and an apple.
Lunch - a salad and an orange.
Supper - spaghetti with meat sauce and broccoli.

I was back on the treadmill for 23 minutes. This week treadmill is up to 17 minutes/day, 5 days a week.

There won't be many, if any, 4-S-day weekends ahead, so if this past weekend was as bad as it gets, I'm OK with that.

Starla

Post by Starla » Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:37 pm

Green the past two days, with 30 minutes on the treadmill each day. I'm really happy about how easy it was to get back into things.

Starting No S (and staying with it) was definitely the best thing I did in 2009.

Starla

Post by Starla » Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:35 pm

I hit a landmark today, and I have to post about it. My exercise program has been to walk on a treadmill, and I started at 5 minutes/day, adding one minute each week. This was my New Year's resolution about ten years ago, and at the end of that year I was walking 57 minutes on the treadmill.

Well, I started walking again on October 7th, using the same approach. I've usually been walking more minutes than the minimum, and today I did 57 minutes for the first time this go around. I'm really happy about this!

I had a get together with friends yesterday, and all the women were discussing our weight and fitness goals for the future (while eating cheesecake - hey, it was an S Day!). We plan to run an 8k run, The Crazylegs Classic, in April of 2011. Yes, that's more than a year away, but that's what makes it a realistic goal for us.

This is just more proof of the benefit of a slow, systematic approach.

Starla

Post by Starla » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:11 pm

Back to green yesterday after the long, S-filled weekend. I have split pea soup with smoked kielbasa for suppers this week, along with toasted sourdough bread and butter. I did 40 minutes on the treadmill yesterday, so it was a good day for both eating and exercise.

Starla

Post by Starla » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:40 pm

I've had a good week so far. I went out for supper last night and had a delicious, single-plate meal, did not feel deprived and enjoyed every bite.

Today is my 4-month anniversary of No S and my official monthly weigh-in. I lost 6.5 pounds this past month, for a total of 32 pounds, and I'm very happy with that. I took and enjoyed my extra S days, but I guess I didn't go too crazy, and I was able to get right back into my N days after the indulgences. Things are good right now.

frugaltexan

Post by frugaltexan » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:10 pm

WTG on the weight loss, and congrats on your 4-month anniversary!
5'9 -- Laura --

Started July 23, 2009 -- 246.6
Restart: June 13, 2010 - 241.6
July 18, 2010 -- 235 .... - 11.6 lb loss in ~1 yr.
Back Again: January 13, 2012 -- 242.2 lbs

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:29 am

Excellent all 'round :)

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:18 am

STARLAAAAAAaaaa!!!!

What a great check in!!!

Your success is an inspiration!!

Whooooo Hooooooo!!!!

:lol: 8) :D :) :wink:
"If you realized how powerful your thoughts are, you would never think another negative thought."
Peace Pilgrim

Starla

Post by Starla » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:15 pm

A very mixed weekend. I was extremely busy Saturday and skipped lunch, and had no treats whatsoever. I did do 40 minutes on the treadmill and then had an active, tiring day.

Half the state of Wisconsin was binge eating or drinking or both last night. My drug of choice: chocolate AND Cheetos. Disgusting.

I'm back in the saddle today, and made myself a nice salad for lunch. Treadmill is up to 19 minutes/day this week, five days a week.

Starla

Post by Starla » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:37 pm

The first three days of the week have gone smoothly. I'm enjoying my suppers this week - a hamburger on a bun, grilled asparagus, baked beans and roasted corn salad. I did 40 minutes on the treadmill yesterday and felt great afterwards. I know things will get hard again; I do a lot of income tax preparation as part of my job, so I'm heading into my busiest time at work. But right now it's all good.

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:47 am

It's always easier, I think, when there is a good dinner to look forward to. Morning and evening are no problem for me - but the afternoon is not easy at all. That's where having a good dinner to look forward to really helps me get through.

Starla

Post by Starla » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:17 pm

The weeekend was OK, and I was back to green yesterday. Creamed chicken on biscuits for supper this week, along with fresh green beans. Treadmill's up to 20 minutes/day.

The past week has been very stressful, but it didn't really affect my eating. That's a first.

Starla

Post by Starla » Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:40 pm

I've had a green week, under very stressful circumstances. This post is going to be mostly about my cat Mario. Mario is 17, and he is a scruffy, long-haired black cat who is the smartest and most loving cat in the world. He likes other people, other cats, other dogs, and he thinks he needs to be involved in anything that happens around the house. Thursday the 14th, the day I posted "right now it's all good," Mario was diagnosed with diabetes. This would be hard under any circumstances, but it's especially bad because Mario has other medical problems. The diabetes is probably caused by the steroids he's been taking to control his inflammatory bowel disease. We may be able to handle the IBD with a change in diet, but he's been on food to help his kidney disease!

My wonderful vet came up with a plan to help Mario lead the best quality of life for the longest time - taper the steroids, change the diet, and put him on some new medication for the high blood pressure she thought was causing his near-total blindness (another diagnosis I got on Thursday). Mario's vomited a couple times this week, and I don't know if our plan is working, and I'm wondering if really I'm in the position of choosing which disease will kill him.

This past Thursday my vet called and said she talked to an opthamologist because she was not sure Mario's blood pressure could be causing the blindness, and the opthamologist thinks it's more likely a specific type of glaucoma. So Wednesday we get to go to the vet school and see what's causing the blindness.

You don't get a lot of sympathy when you're treating a 17-year-old blind cat. People who've never even met Mario feel perfectly comfortable telling me I should euthanize him. It infuriates me. Mario greets me at the door every day when I come home. He still likes to go in the basement and chase mice, and if I'm indulging in Cheetos or ice cream, he's there trying to steal some. His diseases have been well controlled - in the past year he's lost only 10 ounces, and he still weighs over 9 pounds. He enjoys his life.

So what's this got to do with No S? Just that in this horrible week, when I'm terrified that I won't be able to help this cat I truly love, I've been able to stick to the structure. I ate potato chips with lunch on Thursday, and last night I had the nutritional nightmare of egg rolls and Cheetos. But most of the week has been pretty healthy, and it really hasn't been that much of a struggle. I'm not trying to convince myself that binging won't help the situation, I know that.

Starla

Post by Starla » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:49 am

Last week was all green. I had pork chops with wild rice for four of my suppers, and it helped that I really enjoyed those meals.

Treadmill is the one thing I really want to work on this next month. I've been getting in four sessions a week, and I'd like to get it to five.

Starla

Post by Starla » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:06 pm

Today's my 5-month anniversary of No S. I lost 3.2 pounds last month, for a total of 35.2 pounds. The weight loss is definitely slowing, but I'm surprisingly OK with that. This past month has been very odd, emotionally and physically, and there is a lot going on right now. I had no red days last month, but I have not been good with exercise. No S is almost beyond habit at this point. It's changed me, permanently, I think.

Friday night I had Chinese takeout with some friends. I put my spring roll on my plate, added some rice and kung pao shrimp, and stopped when it looked like there was a reasonable amount of food on the plate. One of my best friends was there, and I know she noticed. She's a good enough friend NOT to comment on how much I'm eating, but it made me realize how I once ate. Yesterday morning I went out to breakfast with another friend, and two things were different. I didn't want sweet French toast; I wanted protein, so I ordered scrambled eggs and sausage, which came with three buttermilk pancakes. And then I put a pancake on my plate, looked at the plate, and took off one of the sausages. I don't feel deprived; I think for the first time in my life "more" does not mean "better."

sevenoclk

Post by sevenoclk » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:42 pm

I think that is a great attitude. It is amazing to think about how much I used to eat at times. It is a form of greed, I think.

Good for you!
Sevenoclk
150/?/130

Vanilla No S for me
Gluten and casein free due to health issues.
Often go moderately low carb because that is how my husband chooses to eat.
Glad to be back!

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:42 pm

I totally agree - Better is BETTER :)

I have been at this five months and lost 8 pounds - and I think that is pretty great - so to me your loss is fantastic - Congratulations!

Starla

Post by Starla » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:41 pm

I think I need to check in more often. I haven't had any red days, but I do think my eating has become less and less healthy. Exercise has fallen completely by the wayside, but most of that is due to a bad cold I've had for the last week. S days, on the other hand, have gone very well. I've fallen more and more naturally into a "one treat" version of S days, usually chocolate-covered almonds on Saturday. On Sunday mornings I like to go to a little bakery/cafe near me and buy a treat.

For me, breakfast and lunch are almost always the same on N days, and that has stayed the same. Breakfast is a bagel with peanut butter and an apple; lunch is a salad and an orange. This week I've had chicken chili with toasted sesame semolina bread and butter for supper.

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:59 am

I know what you mean about exercise and a cold. I felt like I was getting one all week, and though it never turned into anything, I didn't do much at all.

My S days are pretty variable. One week they'll be very sensible - and the next - total chaos :)
'I do think the way to a full and healthy life is to adopt the sensible system of small helpings, no seconds, no snacking, and a little bit of everything. Above all, have a good time.' Julia Child