Murphysraven's rededication to nos

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Murphysraven

Murphysraven's rededication to nos

Post by Murphysraven » Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:42 pm

Giving noS another go. Health problems have cropped that I need to get under control.

I was recently diagnosed with PCOS, which is pretty common in women. Needless to say a lot of the symptoms struck home for me. Especialy the tendancy to be overweight. I'm not using that as an excuse to be overweight though.

Due to my craptastic insurance I can't afford much treatment so I had to resort to going on hormones. My doctor also thinks I may be pre-diabetic but until I can get onto my husbands insurance come Jan I can't afford the blood tests.

She talked about some prescription treatment options for weight but I don't think that is an answer until I truely follow the NoS plan to the letter. If I still can't seem to drop the weight then maybe it's time for the docs to step in and see if there is more to it.

I've read about people with diabetes being able to lower or go off insulin by adhearing to noS. My doctor also seems to think that my PCOS might get better or even go away if I can get down to a healthy weight. So while I've dropped off the NoS wagon several times. It's still the only eating plan that makes any sense to me as a long term solution.

So I am starting today. Since lunch was the first time I was able to eat anything and I haven't been snacking I feel I can count today as day 1.

Breakfast - none (must be better about this in the future)
Lunch - 1 package of oatmeal with a drizzle of honey.
Dinner plan - salad wrap.
When I asked for all things, so that I may enjoy Life, I was given Life, so that I may enjoy all things.

Kevin

Re: Murphysraven's rededication to nos

Post by Kevin » Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:23 am

You might want to check out the OneTouch UltraMini glucose meter - I think it's about $20 over the counter. I think it even comes with a few test strips. You could at least do a fasting blood glucose test (don't eat for 12 hours - overnight is good), and a couple a half hour after meals to see where you are. It's not hard. See what your Doctor thinks of that idea.

If you are concerned about eating well with diabetes, look up the term "glycemic index" on the internet. Pick foods that are as low on the glycemic index as possible and limit your carbohydrate intake to a reasonable amount (maybe 30-45 grams per meal, the equivalent of two slices of bread or a slice of bread and a piece of fruit).

And walk after meals if possible. 20 minutes goes a long way for me.

I'm type I, which is quite different from type II, but the food is the same, and, not surprisingly, it's the same as what's best for everyone.
Murphysraven wrote:Giving noS another go. Health problems have cropped that I need to get under control.

I was recently diagnosed with PCOS, which is pretty common in women. Needless to say a lot of the symptoms struck home for me. Especialy the tendancy to be overweight. I'm not using that as an excuse to be overweight though.

Due to my craptastic insurance I can't afford much treatment so I had to resort to going on hormones. My doctor also thinks I may be pre-diabetic but until I can get onto my husbands insurance come Jan I can't afford the blood tests.

She talked about some prescription treatment options for weight but I don't think that is an answer until I truely follow the NoS plan to the letter. If I still can't seem to drop the weight then maybe it's time for the docs to step in and see if there is more to it.

I've read about people with diabetes being able to lower or go off insulin by adhearing to noS. My doctor also seems to think that my PCOS might get better or even go away if I can get down to a healthy weight. So while I've dropped off the NoS wagon several times. It's still the only eating plan that makes any sense to me as a long term solution.

So I am starting today. Since lunch was the first time I was able to eat anything and I haven't been snacking I feel I can count today as day 1.

Breakfast - none (must be better about this in the future)
Lunch - 1 package of oatmeal with a drizzle of honey.
Dinner plan - salad wrap.
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

harpista

Post by harpista » Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:10 am

I have PCOS too. My endocrinologist did not put me on hormones. I would be interested to know which you are taking?

My endo actually sent me for a sleep study, recommended that I learn meditation, yoga or guided relaxation techniques, and put me on Glumetza. For the record I am not diabetic, although I do have insulin resistance. She also wants me on a low GI diet with 3 meals and 2 snacks (frustration there), 150 minutes' exercise per week, and weight loss.

I believe that stress is the enemy of health. I believe personally that stress is our particular enemy when treating PCOS, because hormones (and various syndromes) have a nasty way of enabling each other when they run amok. Stress hormones will make you fat, especially in the belly- which I wish I had known. Not sleeping right will make you fat (and angry), because your satiety hormones get screwed up and your patience/willpower dies, and your stress hormones are up, and you're eating carbs for energy as well as craving sweet stuff more.

I really recommend you look at the quality and quantity of your sleep and your stress relief. It makes everything better. I am not a religious evangelist but I will stand on a soapbox about getting your sleep apnea treated, if it's applicable!!! It has completely changed my life in under a month. I can't overstate it. I also think that the effortless changes I have seen in my eating since I have got my CPAP machine ()for sleep apnea treatment will add up on their own. I don't snack for energy to get through the work day, I don't eat as much at any given time, and I don't want as many bready foods or candies. Well, and of course I am no longer a newly-awakened hibernating bear in springtime, dragging myself out of the bed in the morning. That benefits my family more than me, perhaps :roll:

I do however, know that some of this is complete DUH and possibly not applicable. If nothing else helps you, maybe it helps to know you are not alone and others feel at least some portion of your pain.
Nulla palma sine pulvere.
'No garland of victory without first the dust of the arena.'

Sometimesians, unite!

Murphysraven

Post by Murphysraven » Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:31 pm

Thurday:
leftovers for breakfast - 2 chicken taquitos from Azteca.
lunch - skipped (grr need to stop doing this)
dinner - chicken breast steamed veggies with cheddar cheese and stovetop stuffing (1 plate!)

I did end up having an apple right when i got home to tide me over till dinner. I'm still counting it as a success since I did not have lunch and it was a small healthy choice.

Friday:
breakfast: hard boiled egg, string cheese and an apple.
Lunch: 1 slice of left over homemade ham and brocolli quiche, small package of ritz crackers.
Dinner: breakfast casserole.
Last edited by Murphysraven on Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When I asked for all things, so that I may enjoy Life, I was given Life, so that I may enjoy all things.

Murphysraven

Post by Murphysraven » Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:44 pm

Thank you Kevin and harpista for the ideas and encouragement! Harpista I sent you a pm too about my pcos treatments.

Murphysraven

Post by Murphysraven » Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:12 pm

My first official 2 sdays. I didn't worry about it. I didn't even keep track of what I ate. I don't think I went way overboard but i know once I pass my 21 days of nos I'll try to be a little better on sdays.

I did end up saying no to a candy bar and some apple cake. The cake because I was full from dinner and the candy bar because I wanted to buy it not because i wanted it, but because it was an s day. I decided I didn't really want it. the only reason i looked at them was because it was an sday and i was allowed.

Monday
breakfast -
Hard boiled egg, 1 pc whole grain toast, a banana and a bit of cheese.
lunch - cobb salad
dinner - steamed haibut with veggies and rice.

Murphysraven

Post by Murphysraven » Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:06 pm

Tuesday

Breakfast:
hard boiled egg, 1 pc toast and a banana.
Lunch:
cobb salad and 1 pc of toast
Dinner:
Roasted chicken, red potatoes and salad (hald the plate was covered in salad)

This marks my first full week back on no S. With 5 successful N days. It's suprisingly easier then i expected. There have been a few times that office treats or snacks have tempted me. but I've been able to resist so far. :)

Girl Next Door

Post by Girl Next Door » Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:26 am

Keep up the good work!
Girl Next Door
"Don't I know you from somewhere?"

12/31/10 - 177
10/14/12 - 167
Healthy Range - 113-141

Murphysraven

Post by Murphysraven » Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:05 pm

Wednesday:
Breakfast:
2 pc toast
Lunch:
leftover dinner (chicken and potatoes)
Dinner:
Spagettii

I ended up stacking my plate at dinner because the bread look so good and i knew i couldn't go back for seconds. I ended up only eating about 3/4th of my plate and put 2 of the 3 break pieces back.

Thursday:
breakfast
2 pc toast and hard boiled egg
lunch
leftover spagettii and bread - I ended up not having my leftovers since a coworker talked me into going to a fast food place with them. I wasn't able to say no. I ate a Jr bacon cheeseburger and a value (small) french fry. I was very hungry by dinner time.
dinner
steak chili

Murphysraven

Post by Murphysraven » Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:26 pm

Friday
Breakfast
2 pc toast
lunch:
leftover spagettii and bread (no really, i'm going to eat it this time)
Dinner:
soup and breadsticks

Murphysraven

Post by Murphysraven » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:50 pm

My sdays were too bad nibbles a bit here and there and has a slice of lemon cream cheese cake which was divine.

I'm already noticing my portions are getting smaller. I'm getting fuller faster and actually have to stop before finishing my plate. And i'm OK with that.

The one thing I have learned from my short time at Weight Watchers is that when you're getting full you'll often sigh. I know as soon as I sigh when eating my meal it's time to stop, even if it's tasty and I want to eat more i try to push my plate away.

I bought a calzone on sunday. this calzone i normally eat about 2 pieces and save the 3rd piece for a snack later. Now each piece is pretty much an entire meal for me.

I also am starting to keep a recond of my blood sugar per my doctors reccommendation. So i'll be posting my blood sugar results here as well to keep track of for a month. I check after dinner which is when my dad said his highest sugar is.

Sunday's reading was 98.

Monday meals:
breakfast
Apple
Lunch
apple and 1 slice of calzone
dinner
Steak, baby potatos, carrots and broccoli.

Blood sugar 104 (taken 2 hrs after dinner)

I'm only going to weigh myself once a month to begin with, because I don't want to become obsessed with weight. my starting weight is at about 256lbs. I'm 30, 5'6" and wear a size 20 jeans. My goal is 145 and a size 12-14 jeans.

Murphysraven

Post by Murphysraven » Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:32 pm

Tuesday FAILURE

breakfast
Apple
Lunch
1 slice of calzone
Dinner
steak, potatoes and shredded cabbage with salad dressing

after dinner snack - pretzels

blood sugar 103

Murphysraven

Post by Murphysraven » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:43 am

Wednesday

Breakfast
Apple, nut energy bar
Lunch
Turkey bacon swiss sammich and fries (not the best lunch)
Dinner
Corned beef, potatos and cabbage

blood sugar 99

Murphysraven

Post by Murphysraven » Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:00 pm

Thursday FAILURE

Breakfast
Apple
Lunch
Chicken Taquitoes at Azteka (ate half)
Dinner
Other half of lunch

Blood sugar 109

Ended up snacking on pumpkin muffins with frosting.

Murphysraven

Post by Murphysraven » Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:44 pm

Friday - S-day

This was a pre planned s-day since I was hosting a party and knew we'd have lots of goodies and S foods. I figured since it was pre planned i could allow myself an s-day (as long as it's not a regular occurance!)

My weekend was a little crazy s wise but i'm back on track this monday and plan to start shugging along with no-s.

Monday
Breakfast
2 pc buttered whole grain toast
Lunch
Leftover corned beef and potatos
Dinner
Tacos

Murphysraven

Post by Murphysraven » Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:30 pm

Tuesday
Breakfast
bowl of frosted mini wheat cereal, 1 fried egg.
Lunch
Burger, fries and a shake (FAILURE)
Dinner
Orange chicken, rice and an apple

I'm also starting back on my fiber program.

blood sugar 119

Murphysraven

Post by Murphysraven » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Wednesday

Breakfast
Apple
Lunch
leftover chicken and rice
Dinner
quiche (ham and broccoli)

blood sugar