Girl Next Door Check In

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Girl Next Door

Girl Next Door Check In

Post by Girl Next Door » Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:56 pm

Plates!

Plates, how I do love thee.

When I read about No-S, I thought it seemed kind of familiar. It's basically how I ate at a couple of points in my life. I'll call them Time-1 and Time-2. At those points, three meals per day/no snacks/no sweets, except on weekends, just sort of happened. Time-1 was more than 20 years ago, and Time-2 was almost 20 years ago, and they were some of the best years of my life. Sad but true.

I think it was the "no snacks" that really was the thing that pushed me over the edge into weight loss during those two periods. I'm beginning to suspect it's snacking in my current life that has pushed me over the edge into obesity.

I've been "half-essed" since Tuesday and it seems to be working out well. I'm having one plate at breakfast, lunch and dinner. I'm having a treat with some of my lunches and dinners - but small amount, it has to fit on the plate! And, at least for this half-essed period, I'm having an additional small meal. (A slice of bread with my 5:30 am coffee.) I'll look at adjustments on Tuesday. I don't want to be in the half-essed period for ever, but I don't want to make the transition too hard.

I love, love, love having a nice-looking meal on a plate. I have really been enjoying my plates!

Technically, I'm about 15 pounds past over-weight and into obese. But they aren't kidding when they say we have a problem in this country. There are a whole lot of people who look like me, and even bigger! I don't think I look that big, compared to a lot of people I see, except in pictures.

I'm a forty-something year old woman with a husband and ten year old daughter. My ten year old is homeschooled so I am always near my kitchen.

I have steadily maintained between 173 lbs and 175lbs for quite a while. At least a year, probably two. I've been around this weight for at least five years. I weigh myself every day. I know a lot of people don't like that, but it works for me. I have a pretty good idea of how my weight fluctuates.

In terms of weight loss goals. . .when I did this before in my earlier life, I just ate the three meals and my weight dropped, then stabilized. . . just like Reinhard and every one here seems to experience. That's the direction I'm headed. I've been overweight for a while, so I'm not in a hurry. Ideally I'll drop to a normal weight for my height. Height/weight tables at various places on the 'net put it at 113 lbs to 141 lbs.

So happy to be here!

mimi

Post by mimi » Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:06 pm

Hey Girl Next Door! So happy to have to here! As with most of us, I believe that you will love NoS and all of the nice side benefits that come with it. You seem to have the right attitude starting out, and that is acknowledging weight loss happens very slowly. Best wishes on your NoS journey!

Mimi :D
Discovered NoS: April 16, 2007
Restarted once again: July 14, 2011
Quitting is not an option...
If you start to slip, tie a knot and hang on!
Remember that good enough is... good enough.
Strive for progress, not perfection!

frugaltexan

Post by frugaltexan » Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:36 am

Welcome to No-s! :D
5'9 -- Laura --

Started July 23, 2009 -- 246.6
Restart: June 13, 2010 - 241.6
July 18, 2010 -- 235 .... - 11.6 lb loss in ~1 yr.
Back Again: January 13, 2012 -- 242.2 lbs

Girl Next Door

Post by Girl Next Door » Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:07 pm

Thank you for the warm welcomes, mimi and frugaltexan!

Day 5 - Exempt Day - Saturday October 10 -First "S" day (with that title). Truth is, I have had lots of these days in my life! I enjoyed eating, but some of it was so random. . . permasnacking I guess. Morning, and breakfast went off without a hitch - coffee cake, apple crisp and a hard boiled egg. Sounds weird but it was good. Then my daughter and I went off to help with a funeral reception at our church. We were to arrive at 11 for clean up for a coffee and cookie reception. When we got there (10:45) the family hadn't started eating, and the food was real food catered by a local Greek restaurant. I randomly ate, and it was not satisfying. Next time I'll fill a plate to eat after we're done with clean up. (Food was awesome, by the way.) Was sent home with a box of Greek desserts. Snacked through afternoon (baklava, anyone?). Ate random leftovers with DD for dinner.

Day 6 - Exempt Day - Sunday October 11 - More random eating. Still eating Greek desserts from yesterday. In the evening I picked up The N-S Diet book - checked out from the library - and read about what a perfect S day looks like. That wasn't intentional. With non-fiction I have a tendency to pick up the book and just start reading anywhere in it. Hmm. . . three meals with an added something nice. . .sounds like what I was missing this weekend. We had a nice, regular dinner though.

This week: I'm making two modifications to N-S. 1) A piece of bread and butter with my coffee at 5 am. 2) A small piece of something sweet, if it will fit on my plate, at lunch.

The hardest point of last week was the hour I waited at my daughter's ballet class. About half way through the class is our normal dinner hour, and I frequently eat something sweet during that wait. Last week I didn't do it. I have never really figured out a good use of that time.

My sister and I had a conversation about Time-2 (see my first post) this weekend. That wasn’t intentional either. . . I'm not even sure how we got on that topic. I told her about no-S and my current theory that it was the lack of snacking that really helped me slim down during that time. My mom and my other sister have completely different metabolisms and do not seem to struggle with weight gain the way my sister and I do (me more than her - I don't think she is over weight at this time).

On Saturday my DD and I went folk dancing. I love it and it's great exercise! I folk danced regularly about 20 years ago. My DD likes to dance and we started going to this group in early September. The group is mostly folks 60 and up. . . the dancing isn't quite as vigorous as what I did back in the day. . . but it's perfect for where I am now, physically. It was Oktoberfest for them. . . the next day I dug out the dirndl that I'd made in 1985. My goodness, what a tiny garment! My waist was about 2/3 of its current size.

Girl Next Door

frugaltexan

Post by frugaltexan » Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:41 am

During your daughters ballet class - could you go out walking somewhere? If not outside, maybe at a nearby indoor shopping center? That way you'd have something to distract you, and would get a bit more exercise in. :)

Btw- My library doesn't have a copy of No-s. :( I'm thinking I'll have to buy a copy - maybe for an early birthday gift for myself. :D
5'9 -- Laura --

Girl Next Door

Post by Girl Next Door » Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:01 am

Day 7 Monday October 12 - Success

Having a slice of bread with my coffee, and having a small treat at lunch are helping keep me on track. We had a slight dinner mishap and dinner was later than usual. I was ravenous and filled my plate with no misgivings.

The hardest thing for me, I think, is going to be keeping my mind on this. The "no snacks" part is the hardest in terms of habits, since my previous habit seems to have been "eat anything, at any time it comes across your path". Having a bite or two while cooking is an area I feel I need to be especially vigilant about. I think I need to write the No S diet plan on an index card and read it every morning.

Day 8 Tuesday October 13 - Success

Almost a Fail, and an intentional one at that. Yesterday an extended family member was given a terminal diagnosis. Today DD whipped up some brownies and we took them over for a visit. We have spent many a time drinking tea and eating sweets with this family member. In the end, I put a brownie on each of our plates. . . and then, an hour and half later, took mine home to eat with lunch. If it would have been more uncomfortable socially I would have eaten the brownie and taken the fail.

frugaltexan - I could walk during ballet, and I've thought about it. I have some foot problems though (long story) so I know I can't walk for the full hour. But I should do at least a few minutes. . .
Girl Next Door
"Don't I know you from somewhere?"

12/31/10 - 177
10/14/12 - 167
Healthy Range - 113-141

frugaltexan

Post by frugaltexan » Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:56 pm

I'm sorry to hear about your family member's illness.

Good for you though avoiding eating the brownie - I know how hard that can be when you're both stressed out and in a social situation.
5'9 -- Laura --

frugaltexan

Post by frugaltexan » Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:32 am

Oops. Posted to the wrong thread.

Hope you're doing well. :)
5'9 -- Laura --

Girl Next Door

Post by Girl Next Door » Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:14 am

Day 9 - Wednesday October 14 - Success

It's getting a bit harder. I had a huge desire to snack today. It's a good thing no one was waving any sweet snacks in front of me while I was waiting for ballet.* I'm realizing that my plates are huge! Not my physical plates, which are a good size, but the amount of food I'm putting on them.

I think I need to cut back a bit on the amount of food on each plate. I wasn't very hungry at my meals today.

While I didn't walk during ballet, I did get out an exercise video and I actually exercised with it.

*Today at ballet I talked with a friend, then the secretary/jill of all trades, then I returned a phone call. By then it was time to get DD, so no taking a walk while I was waiting.
Girl Next Door

12/31/10 - 177
10/14/12 - 167
Healthy Range - 113-141

Girl Next Door

Post by Girl Next Door » Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:16 am

Day 10 - Thursday October 15. Fail. Oops.

Although I'll admit to thinking about snacking, sweets and Saturday pretty much all day, they weren't the cause of my oops.

It was just inattention.

My daughter and I went grocery shopping today. We had lunch at the store from the deli counter before we started. I had a nice plate and felt pretty satisfied. When we went to get a cart DD was offered a sample of gelato. She insisted that I try it, and I did, thinking it's really close to my lunch so it shouldn't count. But I'm going to count it because it was chocolate mint, and I knew that and I don't even LIKE chocolate mint. I'm trying to be strict, and snacks and "sampling" are my downfall.

I also tasted my pasta this evening but decided that I wouldn't count that. I made homemade noodles for the first time this evening and I had no idea how long to cook them. Hence a small taste. Two to three minutes - I'll remember that for next time.

I did cut back a bit on the amount of food I ate today (compared to other days). I wasn't excessively hungry.

We are having company for dinner on Saturday, and I am making Paula Deen's Volcano Cake. Yum!
Girl Next Door

12/31/10 - 177
10/14/12 - 167
Healthy Range - 113-141

frugaltexan

Post by frugaltexan » Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:26 am

Just a suggestion - Until you get the habits down really well, you may want to be careful about imposing any restrictions on your plates. Quite often, it seems, when people impose restrictions on the meal times (other than keeping to one plate) rebellion occurs.

Even though you didn't get for a walk during ballet, you kept yourself distracted the whole time - which served a similar purpose, right? :)
5'9 -- Laura --

Girl Next Door

Post by Girl Next Door » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:42 am

Day 11 - Friday October 16 - Success. I had planned to pick up a few things at the grocery store during DD's ballet class and then get a cup of coffee. I was hungry. DD's ballet class happens during our normal dinner hour. I ended up chatting for the whole hour with another homeschooling mom. C'mon Saturday - I'm ready for some treats!

Day 12 - Saturday October 17 - Exempt. Volcano cake here I come! I snacked a bit but did not go for the rambling eat-a-thon of last weekend. We had dinner guests but they left fairly early, and DD and I went folk dancing.

Day 13 - Sunday October 18 - Exempt. I ate more volcano cake but didn't follow the rambling snacking of last weekend. . . it was more like dessert at every meal.

This week I'm cutting my morning bread to 1/2 piece, and I'll try to do without my lunch sweet. I'm not going to fail myself if I have a lunch sweet this week though. Last week went pretty well.

Laura - thanks for your concern regarding my plates. I cut back a little though, because I was eating enough at some of my meals to put me to sleep! I think ballet will continue to be something to be extra diligent about for a while.
Girl Next Door

12/31/10 - 177
10/14/12 - 167
Healthy Range - 113-141

Girl Next Door

Post by Girl Next Door » Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:40 am

Day 14 - Monday October 19 - Success. Like I said, I need to write the 14 words on a file card. I'm afraid that I'll forget that I'm doing this! I had a small treat at lunch today. . . still okay, since that (and my 1/2 slice of bread with my coffee) are part of the agreements I've made with myself. At dinner I realized that I was only going to have one bowl of soup. It was a hardy soup, but no bread or anything. I almost started to panic. But I decided that if I was hungry at bedtime I'd have a glass of milk. I didn't have a glass of milk. But I think I did have a sugar hangover from the weekend.

Day 15 - Tuesday October 20 - Success. Turned down a snack of cookies at relatives. (DD ate several though.) I was ravenous at dinner - don't think I got enough fat and/or protein at lunch. I haven't lost any weight but I FEEL thinner.
Girl Next Door

12/31/10 - 177
10/14/12 - 167
Healthy Range - 113-141

Girl Next Door

Post by Girl Next Door » Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:59 am

Day 16 - Success. Ballet today, combined with sad feelings. . . a difficult combination. Put gas in my car, got a cup of coffee, then visited with another ballet mom. And put a huge amount on my dinner plate. Phew! Made it past that hurdle.
Girl Next Door

12/31/10 - 177
10/14/12 - 167
Healthy Range - 113-141

frugaltexan

Post by frugaltexan » Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:08 am

You are so close to your 21! That's good you're finding other things to do during ballet that are working for you.

Writing the 14 words on a card sounds like that might be a good reminder. Something else you might do is pin something green to your purse, and then whenever you see it, you'll be reminded of Green day. :)
5'9 -- Laura --

mimi

Post by mimi » Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:34 am

frugaltexan wrote:Writing the 14 words on a card sounds like that might be a good reminder. Something else you might do is pin something green to your purse, and then whenever you see it, you'll be reminded of Green day. :)
Or, my favorite - you might want to consider getting some *NoS jewelry!* Here's one of the pieces I wear daily to remind me to eat only three meals and stay green!

http://www.palmbeachjewelry.com/product ... -40627.cfm

It certainly helps me (and it's pretty)!

Mimi :D
Discovered NoS: April 16, 2007
Restarted once again: July 14, 2011
Quitting is not an option...
If you start to slip, tie a knot and hang on!
Remember that good enough is... good enough.
Strive for progress, not perfection!

Girl Next Door

Post by Girl Next Door » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:39 am

Day 17 - Success. I didn't sleep well last night (probably due to yesterday afternoon's late coffee), and felt sad, so there were some big plates. We went to visit friends today - they live almost an hour away - we usually snack there but I just had a cup of tea instead. Another snacking obstacle overcome.

Now I'm headed towards bed! Saturday is almost here - no plans yet for snacks or sweets. Hmm. . . something nice to think about as I drift off.
Girl Next Door

12/31/10 - 177
10/14/12 - 167
Healthy Range - 113-141

Girl Next Door

Post by Girl Next Door » Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:50 am

Day 18 - Friday October 23 - Failure. Not an epic failure.

I had a taste of soup while I was making dinner without even thinking about it. If I had thought about it and made a decision for it I would have counted it as a success. But it was like. . . automatic hand-to-mouth.

I haven't done any thinking at all about the weekend. DD and I are helping with another funeral reception in the morning. . . I'm not planning on the permasnacking of the last time.

I may have lost a pound. Guess I'll know in a few days.
Girl Next Door

12/31/10 - 177
10/14/12 - 167
Healthy Range - 113-141

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:39 pm

I'm not sure I'd call that a failure. A failure would be tasting the soup, liking it, serving yourself a bowl, then making a sandwich to go with it. :)

Seriously, I would have served myself an ounce less with dinner and counted it as success.

Girl Next Door wrote:Day 18 - Friday October 23 - Failure. Not an epic failure.

I had a taste of soup while I was making dinner without even thinking about it. If I had thought about it and made a decision for it I would have counted it as a success. But it was like. . . automatic hand-to-mouth.

I haven't done any thinking at all about the weekend. DD and I are helping with another funeral reception in the morning. . . I'm not planning on the permasnacking of the last time.

I may have lost a pound. Guess I'll know in a few days.
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

Girl Next Door

Post by Girl Next Door » Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:02 am

Kevin,

It's possible that I could be falling into scrupulosity. . . I've read a lot on this site, and in general, regarding habit. I'm very concerned about forming a solid "No-S" habit, and I think unconscious tasting could be the undoing of the habit for me. I also read reneew's (older) revelation on her check-in post concerning the amount of "bites" she ended up having and how it derailed her weight loss efforts.

I'm very conscientious about flossing. It would never occur to me to go to bed without flossing (and brushing). This habit is very well ingrained (and I get lots of positive reinforcement from my dental hygienist). I want no S to be the same. . . and I have a lot of "bad habit" to overcome in the snacking area.

I think we all have different areas of No-S that are our own particular challenge. For the moment I'm going to press on in my bordering-on-scrupulosity behavior. . . and call my absent-minded tasting a fail. Thanks for checking on me though - I very much appreciate it!
Girl Next Door

12/31/10 - 177
10/14/12 - 167
Healthy Range - 113-141

Girl Next Door

Post by Girl Next Door » Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:04 am

Day 19 Saturday October 24 - Exempt. Not so overboard as the last funeral reception, but a little too much free range eating for the day.

Day 20 - Sunday October 25 - Exempt. Noticed I was not hungry at my meals. A little too much snacking and treats, I think.

Day 21 - Monday October 26 - Success. I have allowed myself two modifications - the 1/2 slice of bread with butter to go with my very early morning coffee, and a small treat at lunch time. Today I moved my small treat to dinner - we ended up at another family dinner. I passed up licking beaters (DD made and decorated a cake) and snacking on smoked salmon (added it to my dinner plate). In retrospect, my weekend involved way too many random treats and snacking, and didn't provide as much pleasure as the previous weekend.

Day 22 - Tuesday October 27 - Success. A full plate, but not so much as the past few days. I feel better. I was given a small packet of M'n'M's tonight and my first thought was, I'll eat them on the way home. Then I thought, no I won't! I put them in the cupboard. I'll stick them in DH's lunch tomorrow.

Looking ahead, I'll take Friday as an NWS day. We are going to a Halloween party.
Girl Next Door

12/31/10 - 177
10/14/12 - 167
Healthy Range - 113-141

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:01 pm

It sounds like you are adjusting to eating less, and eating at meal times. Good for you! Next time you want a snack on an S day, ask yourself "will this really make me feel better, or am I just going to be full at mealtime?"

That works for me.
Kevin

Girl Next Door

Post by Girl Next Door » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:28 pm

Day 23 - Wednesday October 28 - Success. Delicious breakfast, lunch and dinner.

I wouldn't say my habits are firmly established but they are increasing in stability. I'm going to continue with my modifications until I feel they are no longer serving me well. Three meals per day, at regular times, was already a habit. It's the not snacking that is sometimes problematic.

Now I'm going to go after my exercise habit. . . or lack thereof.

I used to be an Urban Ranger - didn't own a car until I was 30 and walked, biked and bussed everywhere. I'd love to get back to that in some fashion. I have three obstacles to overcome 1) foot problems, 2) have to bring my home schooled daughter (I don't mind it but she does, LOL) and 3) living in suburbia.

For the moment I'm going to plan to walk 5 to 10 minutes M-W-F, and do exercise videos on Tu-Th. I'm also going to plan to do this about 1-1/2 hours after DD starts her school work - giving her a break and some exercise too.

Today is Thursday. . . exercise video it is!
Girl Next Door

12/31/10 - 177
10/14/12 - 167
Healthy Range - 113-141

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:36 pm

When my daughter was younger and she had school assignments that required memorization, or "patternization" of some kind or another, we used to walk. Walking while doing multiplication tables, memorization of lines, etc. is natural, and an *amazing* way to reinforce such skills. Maybe you could work a half hour walk into your home schooling routine? Seriously, it's a natural. And good for both of you.

*EDIT* I just noticed your "foot problems" statement. Maybe this isn't a great plan. I've had plantar fascitis, but that went away when I got good arch supports.
Girl Next Door wrote:Day 23 - Wednesday October 28 - Success. Delicious breakfast, lunch and dinner.

I wouldn't say my habits are firmly established but they are increasing in stability. I'm going to continue with my modifications until I feel they are no longer serving me well. Three meals per day, at regular times, was already a habit. It's the not snacking that is sometimes problematic.

Now I'm going to go after my exercise habit. . . or lack thereof.

I used to be an Urban Ranger - didn't own a car until I was 30 and walked, biked and bussed everywhere. I'd love to get back to that in some fashion. I have three obstacles to overcome 1) foot problems, 2) have to bring my home schooled daughter (I don't mind it but she does, LOL) and 3) living in suburbia.

For the moment I'm going to plan to walk 5 to 10 minutes M-W-F, and do exercise videos on Tu-Th. I'm also going to plan to do this about 1-1/2 hours after DD starts her school work - giving her a break and some exercise too.

Today is Thursday. . . exercise video it is!
Last edited by Kevin on Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kevin

harpista

Post by harpista » Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:46 pm

Girl Next Door wrote: The hardest point of last week was the hour I waited at my daughter's ballet class. About half way through the class is our normal dinner hour, and I frequently eat something sweet during that wait. Last week I didn't do it. I have never really figured out a good use of that time.
Hi Girl Next Door!

In some other lifetime, I was a very serious music student. I saw "music moms" doing all of the following:

- napping
- taking notes on instructions to the student
- knitting, crocheting, tatting... Bonus: you can't eat at the same time, and if you tried you couldn't do it because your hands would then be too dirty.
- catch up on social calls
- various types of homework (work, night school)
- going for a walk (sometimes even taking the music teacher's dog along)
- reading (books, papers, magazines)
- stretching exercises

You could Urban Ranger all around the areas around the ballet studio, if safe...
Nulla palma sine pulvere.
'No garland of victory without first the dust of the arena.'

Sometimesians, unite!

Girl Next Door

Post by Girl Next Door » Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:31 pm

Day 24 - Thursday October 29 -

No-S - Success. I passed up tasting some treats that my DH and DD made for Halloween. (Usually I'm in there having little spoonfuls.) I will have some today - I'm taking an NWS.

Exercise - Success

I debated about giving exercise its own day count (this would be Day 1 for exercise) but I know I would not be able to keep that straight.

It looks like I might have lost a little more - I weighed in at 171.8 this morning.

Even with NWS today I'm still planning to take a little walk.
Girl Next Door

12/31/10 - 177
10/14/12 - 167
Healthy Range - 113-141

Girl Next Door

Post by Girl Next Door » Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:40 pm

harpista wrote: In some other lifetime, I was a very serious music student. I saw "music moms" doing all of the following:

- napping
- taking notes on instructions to the student
- knitting, crocheting, tatting... Bonus: you can't eat at the same time, and if you tried you couldn't do it because your hands would then be too dirty.
- catch up on social calls
- various types of homework (work, night school)
- going for a walk (sometimes even taking the music teacher's dog along)
- reading (books, papers, magazines)
- stretching exercises

You could Urban Ranger all around the areas around the ballet studio, if safe...
Harpista - I love this list!

My favorite activity is to visit with the other dance moms. . . but the moms don't always stick around, as our daughters are getting older (late elementary school age). If my DD continues in ballet I'm going to get to know these other moms pretty well - with more dance classes per week and more performing. I have also knit; sometimes I go sit in my car and listen to a radio program while doing that (if there aren't any other dance moms to chat with). It is a safe area for Urban Rangering. . . just need to get my feet stronger.

As with many aspects of No-S. . . not having snacking as my first option will force me to take other paths.

I'm going to put your list on a file card for future reference. :)
Girl Next Door

12/31/10 - 177
10/14/12 - 167
Healthy Range - 113-141

Girl Next Door

Post by Girl Next Door » Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:37 am

Day 25 - Friday October 30
No-S - Exempt
Exercise - Failure

Day 26 - Saturday October 31
No-S/Exercise - Exempt

Day 27 - Sunday November 1
No-S/Exercise - Exempt

I think in the future I'm going to make my No-S exempt days exercise exempt too. Either that, or I'll have to get up and walk very early before the family gets up. We were busy outside our home on Friday and I never quite got my walk in.

We went to a Halloween party on Friday evening. I had a moderate plate of food, about half a plate of desserts, and glass of wine. . . and all of a sudden I started to feel very queasy. I didn't think I'd taken in that much. . . but maybe I'm just comparing it to my pre-No-S days. I've gone pretty easy Saturday and today, although my stomach seems to be doing better and today I did have a few pieces of Halloween candy. There're so many viruses, etc going around here, I probably just got a light case of one. It puts a damper on a person's S days though! :)
Girl Next Door

12/31/10 - 177
10/14/12 - 167
Healthy Range - 113-141

Girl Next Door

Post by Girl Next Door » Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:43 am

Kevin wrote:When my daughter was younger and she had school assignments that required memorization, or "patternization" of some kind or another, we used to walk. Walking while doing multiplication tables, memorization of lines, etc. is natural, and an *amazing* way to reinforce such skills. Maybe you could work a half hour walk into your home schooling routine? Seriously, it's a natural. And good for both of you.

*EDIT* I just noticed your "foot problems" statement. Maybe this isn't a great plan. I've had plantar fascitis, but that went away when I got good arch supports.
Kevin,

Thanks for the idea! We are doing a fair amount of memory stuff this year. Although our walks will be short - that's enough time to get in multiplication tables, state capitals, possibly some Latin and poetry.

Despite my foot issues I think I can regularly do short walks. I'm hopeful that over time I'll be able to increase them to five days per week and a longer duration.
Girl Next Door

12/31/10 - 177
10/14/12 - 167
Healthy Range - 113-141

Girl Next Door

Post by Girl Next Door » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:49 am

Day 28 - Monday November 2
No-S - Success
Exercise (walk) - Success

Day 29 - Tuesday November 3
No-S - Success
Exercise (video) - Success

Day 30 - Wednesday November 4
No-S - Success
Exercise (walk) - Success

Today DD and I walked to the grocery store to pick up one item. The grocery store is a much farther walk than 5 to 10 minutes, maybe 30 minutes round trip, but I figured I could do it if we went slowly. It was a cool, crisp, sunny day - perfect for walking. DD did not complain - she was counting. . . something . . . and it kept her occupied.
Girl Next Door

12/31/10 - 177
10/14/12 - 167
Healthy Range - 113-141

frugaltexan

Post by frugaltexan » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:18 am

Sounds like you and DD were having fun - each in your own way. :D

Way to go on how you're doing! Woo Hoo!
5'9 -- Laura --

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:23 pm

Hi Girl Next Door....

You're doing great!

Just wanted to pop in and say "Hi" from another homeschooling mom! I have four kids - 18, 16, 14, & 4. I've homeschooled forever! We have our oldest in college and our youngest starting to read...it's quite a journey!

Hang in there with the plan...I think it's very similar to the homeschooling adventure. Some days you just want to call the school and have the bus pick the kids up immediately, but you just keep plugging along a day at a time and before you know it, your job is done and you're texting back & forth with a college kid! LOL...

Glad you're here...
janie
Nothing worthwhile is ever easy...

Girl Next Door

Post by Girl Next Door » Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:51 pm

Day 31 - Thursday November 5
No-S - Success

Day 32 - Friday November 6
No-S - NWS Day
Exercise (walking) - Success

Day 33 - Saturday November 7
No-S - Exempt
Exercise - Exempt

Day 34 - Sunday November 8
No-S - Exempt
Exercise - Exempt

We went camping with the scouts this weekend. Heated cabins, in the mountains, very nice facility. I didn't actually take a walk at home on Friday, but walked when we got to the camp site. . . in the dark, many trips (with a wheel barrow) between the parking lot and the cabin. I think it qualifies - I sure got my aerobic work out!

I wrestled with taking Friday as an NWS day. . . camping usually means s'mores and lots of snacking. I decided to do it. In retrospect I probably could have taken it as an N-Day. I had a snack (half a sandwich) before my dinner at 8:30, and a couple of s'mores. Honestly, I don't even really like s'mores. Next time I think I'll do it differently.

Usually camping means lots of snacking, but even with the colder weather I didn't feel inclined to snack. I think I'm just really starting to get into no-snacking as a habit, instead of having to consciously think about it.

Can I just say - I love camping? We live in a beautiful area for it. . . it snowed, the kids played outside, we were in a great facility for the winter. . . it was fabulous! Lots of exercise, crisp fresh air. . . what more could a gal want?
Girl Next Door

12/31/10 - 177
10/14/12 - 167
Healthy Range - 113-141

Girl Next Door

Post by Girl Next Door » Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:57 pm

Hi Janie!

Thanks for the hello and encouragement!
howfunisthat wrote: and before you know it, your job is done and you're texting back & forth with a college kid!
I can't imagine. . . still have a few years though. We're not complete Luddites, but we have old electronics. I tell people we live in a cave and we like it that way, LOL.
Girl Next Door

12/31/10 - 177
10/14/12 - 167
Healthy Range - 113-141

Girl Next Door

Post by Girl Next Door » Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:49 pm

Day 35 - Monday November 9
No-S - Success
Exercise (walk) - Failure. We had extra kids at our house all day, and I didn't get to it. In the future I need to have a plan for days that are out of the ordinary.

Day 36 - Tuesday November 10
No-S - Success

Day 37 - Wednesday November 11
No-S - Success
Exercise (walk) - Success. Nice day for walking and I walked to the grocery store again.

This morning I fell back asleep after the alarm went off. I had a wacky dream which included unconsciously having a snack, and then realizing that I'd had a snack and I'd have a failure for the day. How weird is that?

This is the part (for me) where it gets harder. Things are going pretty well, and I've noticed the temptation to snack is getting stronger. So far I have not fallen to it though. For me, personally, 21 days is easy! It's on past that that gets harder.
Girl Next Door

12/31/10 - 177
10/14/12 - 167
Healthy Range - 113-141

frugaltexan

Post by frugaltexan » Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:07 pm

Congratulations on your loss!

It was difficult for me after finishing my first 21 - in fact, I has a string of reds for a bit. But no- s just makes so much sense and feels so much better, that I get drawn back into the habits.
5'9 -- Laura --

Girl Next Door

Post by Girl Next Door » Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:20 am

Day 38 - Thursday November 12
No-S - Success
Exercise - Success? I guess. I ended up taking a walk instead of doing a video. Had an all day, out of routine family committment.

Day 39 - Friday November 13
No-S - Success
Exercise - Failure.

The exercise habit is going to be way harder for me than the No-S habit, clearly.

I'm looking forward to tomorrow and the S days. We're having a family Thanksgiving tomorrow and going to a birthday party on Sunday.
Girl Next Door

12/31/10 - 177
10/14/12 - 167
Healthy Range - 113-141

frugaltexan

Post by frugaltexan » Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:53 pm

I don't remember who on this board had this as their goal, but their goal was to just do 15 minutes a day of *anything* that included movement. So it wasn't tied to a particular activity, but just the idea of *movement.*

Have fun this weekend at the birthday party and the family Thanksgiving!
5'9 -- Laura --

Girl Next Door

Pinch Me

Post by Girl Next Door » Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:16 am

Thanks Frugal Texan!

Day 40 - Saturday November 14
No-S - Exempt
Exercise - Exempt

Okay. . . so today I relaxed and ate some snacks. . . but I haven't had much of an appetite, surprisingly. (Perhaps it's the smaller jeans that are slightly tight in the waist, I don't know.) Didn't really eat much lunch but enjoyed a nice one-plate Thanksgiving dinner, followed by a largish piece of cake.

After dinner an elderly relative (in-law relative, even) whom I haven't seen in a couple years told me that she thought I was looking really good and asked if I'd lost weight.

I was so flabbergasted I didn't know what to say.

Finally, I just said, "I'm speechless".

I've lost about five pounds - enough to put me into smaller jeans, but since the next size up were loose and baggy when I started I think that's hardly noticeable.

But maybe it is noticeable.
Girl Next Door

12/31/10 - 177
10/14/12 - 167
Healthy Range - 113-141

frugaltexan

Post by frugaltexan » Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:47 am

Way cool having other people notice the loss. :)
5'9 -- Laura --

Girl Next Door

Post by Girl Next Door » Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:06 am

Day 41 - Sunday November 15
No-S - Exempt
Exercise - Exempt (but had an unexpected 4 to 5 mile urban ranger experience)

Day 42 - Monday November 16
No-S - Exempt
Exercise - Failure

Still have problems with exercise when a day doesn't fit in a certain pattern.

I did end up walking about 4 to 5 miles on Sunday. It was fabulous, and I felt really good. My toe was a little stiff today. . . but my foot has felt much worse. I need to work up to walking like this more regularly. It was such a good experience I'm finally getting the ball in motion to see a physical therapist, something that was recommended to me in April.
Girl Next Door

12/31/10 - 177
10/14/12 - 167
Healthy Range - 113-141

Girl Next Door

Post by Girl Next Door » Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:16 am

Day 43 - Tuesday November 17
No-S - Success
Exercise - Success

Day 44 - Wednesday November 18
No-S - Success
Exercise - Success

Day 45 - Thursday November 19
No-S - Success
Exercise - Success

Day 46 - Friday November 20
No-S - Success
Exercise - Failure

Day 47 - Saturday November 21
No-S - Exempt
Exercise - Exempt

Day 48 - Sunday November 22
No-S - Exempt
Exercise - Exempt

Day 49 - Monday November 23
No-S - Success
Exercise - Failure

I'm behind. Exercise is not as consistent as No-S. So far I've managed to do very well with my No-S consistancy, but not so well for exercise.

Also, I've noticed that my appetite has diminished quite a bit. Is this common with No-S? (I have also been having some problems with my digestion, so I'm not sure which to attribute it to.)
Girl Next Door

12/31/10 - 177
10/14/12 - 167
Healthy Range - 113-141

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:20 pm

My appetite has decreased as I progress with no-S (again). There are days however, when it comes roaring back. Those days always take me by surprise, and are my infrequent "red" days.
Kevin

frugaltexan

Post by frugaltexan » Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:33 pm

I agree with Kevin. My appetite definitely is less since starting No-s, although there are days (usually the red ones) where it multiplies expoentially.

You are doing great with keeping the habit of No-S. Focus on the positive of that fact. The exercise will come.
5'9 -- Laura --

Girl Next Door

Post by Girl Next Door » Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:39 pm

My goodness, I need to stop being so lazy about checking in.

Day 50 - Tuesday November 24
No-S - Success
Exercise - Failure

Day 51 - Wednesday November 25
No-S - Success
Exercise - Success - Walk to the grocery store to pick up green beans, cream of mushroom soup and french fried onions for Thanksgiving.

Day 52 - Thursday November 26
No-S - Exempt
Exercise - Exempt

Day 53 - Friday November 27
No-S - Success
Exercise - Success

Day 54 - Saturday November 28
No-S - Exempt
Exercise - Exempt

Day 55 - Sunday November 29
No-S - Exempt
Exercise - Exempt

Day 56 - Monday November 30
No-S - Failure
Exercise - Exempt - Sick Day

Now how can you have a sick day and fail at no-S? When instead of sipping chicken soup you go to Starbucks and have coffee and a cookie. I have my annual fall cold - later than usual, but still, feel pretty awful! Add not sleeping well to that mix. . . it's a recipe for snacking.

Thanksgiving went well. Ate lightly during the day, then one glass of wine, one plate of dinner and one plate of dessert. Just the right amount - a little heavier than a normal dinner, but not a lay-on-the-floor-because-you're-so-full heavier than normal.

My goal for December is to maintain. I continue to allow myself one small sweet per day (although completely forgot about it for a couple of days last week, must be progress), but I'm not going to allow for peanut butter balls aka buckeyes to be one of those sweets. My DH makes them every year - they are fabulous - and every year I gain about five pounds during December. I'm convinced it's from eating those things. So I'll save them for weekends. Anyway, I usually gain during December so if I maintain I'll be coming out ahead!
Girl Next Door

12/31/10 - 177
10/14/12 - 167
Healthy Range - 113-141

Girl Next Door

Post by Girl Next Door » Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:42 pm

Thanks Kevin and frugaltexan! I wondered if something was wrong with me. . . I do enjoy my food! I went back through the archives and a few people noted this. It's a definite benefit!
Girl Next Door

12/31/10 - 177
10/14/12 - 167
Healthy Range - 113-141

frugaltexan

Post by frugaltexan » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:39 am

Quote "Anyway, I usually gain during December so if I maintain I'll be coming out ahead!"

Yep, somewhere else I saw Reinhardt post about how maintaining in December is progress. :D

I'm hoping for a small loss on my next weigh-in (Dec 12) and then to maintain to the next weigh-in (Jan 9).
5'9 -- Laura --

Girl Next Door

Post by Girl Next Door » Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:07 pm

Day 57 - Tuesday December 1
No-S - Success
Exercise - Exempt - still pretty sick

Day 58 - Wednesday December 2
No-S - Success
Exercise - Exempt - sick

Day 59 - Thursday December 3
No-S - Success
Exercise - Failure

Day 60 - Friday December 4
No-S - Success
Exercise - Success - walked to Starbucks with DD - nice walk on a cold, crisp day

Day 61 - Saturday December 5
No-S - Exempt
Exercise - Exempt

Day 62 - Sunday December 6
No-S - Exempt
Exercise - Exempt

Peanut butter ball/buckeye count for the weekend: 4, plus one reindeer treat that was kind of like a peanut butter ball/buckeye.

I didn't spend the weekend grazing, and the eating part of No-S is becoming easier.

I'm not going to work on my exercise habit until after Christmas. Between Christmas stuff and all it entails. . . and the poor health of my FIL (local, DD & I try to get over there regularly and do what we can for the family). . . I'll do what I can for exercise when I can but I'm not going to push the habit aspect yet.
Girl Next Door

12/31/10 - 177
10/14/12 - 167
Healthy Range - 113-141

frugaltexan

Post by frugaltexan » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:18 am

Keeping the peanut butter balls/buckeyes to only 4 in two days shows great restraint. :D I don't know that I could do the same ... on an
S day.
5'9 -- Laura --

Girl Next Door

Post by Girl Next Door » Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:56 pm

Day 63 - Monday December 7
No-S - Success
Exercise - Failure

Day 64 - Tuesday December 8
No-S - Success
Exercise - Failure

Day 65 - Wednesday December 9
No-S - NWS - Out of town family visiting
Exercise - Failure

Day 66 - Thursday December 10
No-S - Success
Exercise - Failure

Day 67 - Friday December 11
No-S - Success
Exercise - Failure

I've been doing great on No-S, not very good on exercise! But I'll tackle that more after Christmas.

I've lost one more pound, bringing me to 169.0. Only 9.2 pounds more to go - then I'll be overweight and no longer obese. It looks like I'm currently losing at a rate of 2 to 2.5 pounds per month. A few years ago I used an online calculator to figure out how many calories I'd need each day to maintain my current weight and a healthy weight. The difference between me: sedentary at 175 and me: sedentary at 135 was only 50 calories per day. It was rather shocking. . . but currently even very small changes will bring some results. I'm very happy with my two pounds per month - at this rate I'll be overweight at the end of May when we go camping.
Girl Next Door

12/31/10 - 177
10/14/12 - 167
Healthy Range - 113-141

frugaltexan

Post by frugaltexan » Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:59 am

Congrats on the weight loss! We're averaging similar amounts of monthly loss. Although I have a bit more than 9 lbs to go to get to "overweight." :)
5'9 -- Laura --

Girl Next Door

Post by Girl Next Door » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:52 pm

Day 68 - Saturday December 12
No-S - Exempt
Exercise - Exempt

Day 69 - Sunday December 13
No-S - Exempt
Exercise - Exempt - but DH and I did take a nice walk around the neighborhood after church

Day 70 - Monday December 14
No-S - Success
Exercise - Failure

Day 71 - Tuesday December 15
No-S - Success
Exercise - Failure

Day 72 - Wednesday December 16
No-S - Success
Exercise - Success - DD and I walked all the way from one end of the mall to the other, without stopping. Round trip that's at least a 10 minute walk. (I loathe the mall and only go there when I have to.)

Buckeye count for last weekend was zero, but I made up for it in brownies.

I've been thinking about next week, and what I might do. We'll be getting together with friends on Sunday - that's an S day and that works out. We may be getting together with others to do cookies during Christmas week, plus Christmas Eve is on a Thursday. Hmm. . . how many NWS days are we allowed per month? LOL. I think I may end up taking some intentional fails during Christmas week. We'll probably do something with others on New Year's Eve, another Thursday. After that we're past the holidays and it's smooth sailing.
Girl Next Door

12/31/10 - 177
10/14/12 - 167
Healthy Range - 113-141

frugaltexan

Post by frugaltexan » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:31 am

I think the suggestion for NWS days is an average of two per month. So, if in November you just took one for Thanksgiving, you could take three in December and it would average out to two per month. For me, I'll be having quite a few NWS days this month, but don't know of any I'll have in January.

You could also make some of those days be S event days. Like at a cookie event, maybe choose one or two of your *very* favorite kinds to have ONE cookie of. I think as long as you have it planned out in advance, that you are okay.
5'9 -- Laura --

Girl Next Door

Post by Girl Next Door » Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:03 pm

Day 73 - Thursday December 17
No-S - Success
Exercise - Success - walk 1/2 hour

Day 74 - Friday December 18
No-S - Success
Exercise - Failure

Day 75 - Saturday December 19
No-S - Exempt (buckeye count: 3)
Exercise - Exempt, but went roller skating with DD's scout troop

As for the upcoming week, I've decided to just relax and enjoy the holidays. I'm going to be thoughtfully vigilant - for example, DD and I are helping with a funeral reception on Monday, so I plan not to snack there. But if we bake cookies with friends on Tuesday I plan to have a cookie.
Girl Next Door

12/31/10 - 177
10/14/12 - 167
Healthy Range - 113-141

frugaltexan

Post by frugaltexan » Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:48 am

Sounds like a good plan. :)
5'9 -- Laura --

Girl Next Door

Post by Girl Next Door » Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:01 am

Day 76 - Sunday December 20
No-S - Exempt
Exercise - Exempt

Day 77 - Monday December 21
No-S - Success
Exercise - Failure

Day 78 - Tuesday December 22
No-S - Failure - just ate too much (more than a plate full) at dinner
Exercise - Failure

Day 79 - Wednesday December 23
No-S - Success
Exercise - Failure

Day 80 - Thursday December 24
No-S - NWS - had a nice dinner with friends and family after church
Exercise - Exempt

Day 81 - Friday December 25
No-S - NWS - I didn't count the number of peanut butter balls I ate :)
Exercise - Exempt - but the weather was nice - we went for a walk

Day 82 - Saturday December 26
No-S - Exempt - but I ate like I would on an N day. I want to get back on track - I way overdid it it on the 24th and 25th.
Exercise - Exempt

So far I'm keeping steady with my weight, which was my goal for this month. Only another week or so to go!

Our holidays this year have a somber note - DH's father died last Sunday. He was ill and it wasn't unexpected. Tomorrow is the family Christmas get together (we rarely get together on Christmas day so this isn't unusual; we just usually don't have it after Christmas). Could be an interesting day. . . with a group of people who don't generally process their emotions well. . . I guess that's what I found after my father died, anyway. The hardest are the get togethers when "everybody" is there.
Girl Next Door

12/31/10 - 177
10/14/12 - 167
Healthy Range - 113-141

Girl Next Door

Post by Girl Next Door » Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:55 pm

Day 83 - Sunday December 27
No-S - Exempt
Exercise - Exempt

Day 84 - Monday December 28
No-S - Success
Exercise - Failure

Day 85 - Tuesday December 29
No-S - Failure - two pieces of a friend's Christmas delicacies - yum!
Exercise - Failure

Day 86 - Wednesday December 30
No-S - Success
Exercise - Failure

Day 87 - Thursday December 31
No-S - NWS day. . . not really "successful" though. . . I did a face-plant into the appetizers.
Exercise - Exempt

Day 88 - Friday January 1
No-S - NWS day. . . can't even remember what I did that day, but I'm sure it involved less food than Dec 31
Exercise - Exempt

Day 89 - Saturday January 2
No-S - Exempt. . . but not a really successful day either.
Exercise - Exempt

I practiced self restraint during the month of December. . . and I had a wild-and-crazy affair with food between Christmas and New Year's. I'm going to see about making today more of an "N" day, and then go on with No-S and more self restraint.

Saturday Jan 2 was my FIL's funeral. As a group my in-laws kind of stress me out. . . another face plant into the snacks at in-law's house after the funeral.

Despite it all, I did not gain weight during December this year. Go me!
Girl Next Door

12/31/10 - 177
10/14/12 - 167
Healthy Range - 113-141

frugaltexan

Post by frugaltexan » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:33 am

I'm sorry for you and your family's loss.

I did pretty well with No-s in December, right up till the 22nd ...
5'9 -- Laura --

Girl Next Door

Post by Girl Next Door » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:06 pm

Day 90 - Sunday January 3
No-S - Exempt
Exercise - Exempt

Day 91 - Monday January 4
No-S - Success
Exercise - Failure

Day 92 - Tuesday January 5
No-S - Success
Exercise - Success

Day 93 - Wednesday January 6
No-S - Success
Exercise - Failure

Day 94 - Thursday January 7
No-S - Success
Exercise - Failure

Day 95 - Friday January 8
No-S - Success
Exercise - Failure

What was that I saw on my scale this morning? Was it 167.8, winking at me? I think I will update my signature. Tomorrow I'll probably see something like 168.4, but no matter. Soon I'll be seeing 167pointsomething as my weight every day.

I'm happy to be away from the holidays. Yesterday I had a thought. . . oh, tomorrow is Saturday again? I think I'm getting into the No-S groove more. . . when I started I was hanging on tight hoping to make it to Saturday. If I have time this weekend I might try to make reneew's Grandma Elnora's Carmels. I love carmel. I will freeze the extras. . . they can sit in the freezer next to the leftover peanut butter balls. . .

Still need to work on exercise a bit more.
Girl Next Door

12/31/10 - 177
10/14/12 - 167
Healthy Range - 113-141

Girl Next Door

Post by Girl Next Door » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:10 pm

frugaltexan wrote:I'm sorry for you and your family's loss.
Thank you Laura.
Girl Next Door

12/31/10 - 177
10/14/12 - 167
Healthy Range - 113-141

Girl Next Door

Post by Girl Next Door » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:49 am

Day 96 - Saturday January 9
No-S - Exempt
Exercise - Exempt - but went dancing

I think I'm approaching N-irvana, where your S days aren't too far off of your N days. Today I ate my three one-plate meals, plus my early morning bread with coffee, and I ate dessert after lunch and dinner. We had no big social plans and I had no real desire to eat anything more.
Girl Next Door

12/31/10 - 177
10/14/12 - 167
Healthy Range - 113-141

frugaltexan

Post by frugaltexan » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:59 am

Nirvana - I think that's a perfect way to describe it!

The longer you keep to the habits, the less you rely on getting to the S days.
5'9 -- Laura --

Girl Next Door

Post by Girl Next Door » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:35 pm

Day 97 - Sunday January 10
No-S - Exempt
Exercise - Exempt

Day 98 - Monday January 11
No-S - Success
Exercise - Failure

Day 99 - Tuesday January 12
No-S - Success
Exercise - Failure

Day 100 - Wednesday January 13
No-S - Success
Exercise - Success - walk to store

Day 101 - Thursday January 14
No-S - Success
Exercise - Failure

Day 102 - Friday January 15
No-S - Success
Exercise - Failure

Day 103 - Saturday January 16
No-S - Exempt
Exercise - Exempt

Day 104 - Sunday January 17
No-S - Exempt
Exercise - Exempt

I really do need to get working on exercise.

I'm now at three months on No-S, and between 3 and 6 months is when I generally fall off of things I start (if I didn't fall off after two weeks). It's a danger zone. I did feel tempted on Friday (dance class) - fortunately one of my friends appeared and talked my ear off (in a good way) and I didn't have to fight the snacking temptation very hard.

I had another weekend with only one small snack, one small portion of seconds at one meal, and some dessert. Very nice. Next weekend I'd like to have a delicious treat lined up in advance.

I'm now about one pound less than the weight I got to when I was on weight watchers 2 years ago. (Two years ago I started at 187 and dropped to 168 - I think. Then hit the three month mark and fell off weight watchers and went back up to 173-175.) It occurred to me, as I was putting on the skirt that I purchased at that time and hadn't worn much until a few weeks ago, that I am taking off weight about as slowly as I put it on - a pound every couple of weeks or month. Clearly I'm not in a hurry. I am very much looking forward to being overweight. :) Only eight more pounds to get to that landmark.
Girl Next Door

12/31/10 - 177
10/14/12 - 167
Healthy Range - 113-141

frugaltexan

Post by frugaltexan » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:57 pm

You can keep it up! We're all here to cheer you onward and forward. :D

It's a great feeling to be able to put on clothes again that'd gotten just a bit too tight. Even better, those clothes getting too loose, and having to go out and buy something all new! (or, at least all new to you!) :)
5'9 -- Laura --

Girl Next Door

Post by Girl Next Door » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:32 pm

Day 105 - Monday January 18
No-S - Failure
Exercise - Failure

Day 106 - Tuesday January 19
No-S - Success
Exercise - Success - Walked 1/2 hour

Day 107 - Wednesday January 20
No-S - Success
Exercise - Failure - although I did get out in our gorgeous weather and walk to the end of the block. It's just not enough to call it success in the exercise department.

Monday was a holiday and DD decided to make a cake. We had the cake with friends after dinner. I have given myself a mod of one small sweet per day. . . but DD sliced the cake and the pieces were huge! Next time I will ask for a smaller piece.

Interestingly, my toe hurt when I was walking on Tuesday. Hmm. . . is it a direct correlation between the amount of sugar eaten and my foot hurting?? I also noticed that I was retaining water when I got up on Tuesday. I don't think I'm going to test this theory by eating a lot of sweets. . .
Girl Next Door

12/31/10 - 177
10/14/12 - 167
Healthy Range - 113-141

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:26 pm

Keep up the good work! :D
8) Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

Girl Next Door

Post by Girl Next Door » Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:18 pm

Day 108 - Thursday January 21
No-S - Success
Exercise - Failure

Day 109 - Friday January 22
No-S - Success
Exercise - Success Walk 20 minutes

Day 110 - Saturday January 23
No-S - Exempt
Exercise - Exempt

Day 111 - Sunday January 24
No-S - Exempt
Exercise - Exempt

Day 112 - Monday January 25
No-S - Success
Exercise - Failure

Day 113 - Tuesday January 26
No-S - Success
Exercise - Success - Walk 20 minutes

Day 114 - Wednesday January 27
No-S - Success
Exercise - Failure

Day 115 - Thursday January 28
No-S - Success
Exercise - Failure

Day 116 - Friday January 29
No-S - Failure. I do eat one small sweet per day. . . but I went overboard. I was having a difficult day and overindulged in chocolate chip cookies. I ate three instead of one. I was later tempted to have a candy bar, but it was a fairly easy temptation to overcome.
Exercise - Success. Walk 20 minutes.

DD go to the same place every Tuesday and Friday morning. It is a little over a mile from our house and I am working us up to walking there and back. Each week we park a little farther away. We get regular exercise that is part of our routine that way.

I do need to continue to be conscious about No-S, but it is becoming more of a habit now.

As time passes I am noticing that I am more productive in other parts of my life. That is a nice side effect of No-S.

I've also hit my stride for the ballet wait time. I bring a basket that has some little things to do - letters to write, articles to read, small items to be mended, etc. Then I sit in the waiting area and tackle these items. If other moms come we can chit-chat.

I'm looking towards modifying my two mods but I'm not there yet.

Oh, and my digital scale broke. It was a cheapie. I purchased an old, heavy, dial-type scale from the thrift store to replace it. It looks like something from my grandpa's bathroom - with the aid of google it looks to be about 55 to 60 years old. One advantage of this scale - I can really only measure my weight in pounds and half pounds.

Weight now: 166.5. Only 6.5 pounds until I'm overweight!
Girl Next Door

12/31/10 - 177
10/14/12 - 167
Healthy Range - 113-141

frugaltexan

Post by frugaltexan » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:23 am

It looks like you've found a good way of avoiding temptation at your DD's ballet classes. Good for you!
5'9 -- Laura --

Girl Next Door

Post by Girl Next Door » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:39 pm

Day 146 - Monday March 1
No-S - Success
Exercise - Failure

Day 147 - Tuesday March 2
No-S - Success (so far)
Exercise - Success - DD and I took the bus to the local university to use the library. Walked around campus with backpacks full of books. (Mine was full, hers was not.)

As for days 117-145. . . there were a lot of failures in there. (I had very few failures days 1 - 117.) Most of them weren't epic failures though. It was a hard time. . . but I love No-S. I gained maybe 1/2 to 1 pound, and I'm back at it, no guilt over it but just getting busy again.
Girl Next Door

12/31/10 - 177
10/14/12 - 167
Healthy Range - 113-141

frugaltexan

Post by frugaltexan » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:17 am

Good to see you back GND!

We're both back on track now! :D
5'9 -- Laura --

Girl Next Door

Post by Girl Next Door » Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:05 am

Although I didn't post, I actually was doing pretty well on No S until summer vacation in late July. I maintained a pretty steady 165 until then. I gained 5 pounds on my vacation, and then just kept eating. Dumb! Should I ask why I have to learn this lesson again and again?

Last month I started a crossfit exercise class and I love it. If you google crossfit you'll find out it's used by firefighters, police officers, some military personnel, etc to stay in good shape. But it can also be scaled for sedentary middle-aged housewives. :) I am getting a real muscle in each arm!

I'm going to declare today an NWS day. Tomorrow is an S day - will be having a fabulous dinner cooked by friends. Will plan to have a sedate S day on Sunday.

Restart weight = 177 pounds.
Girl Next Door

12/31/10 - 177
10/14/12 - 167
Healthy Range - 113-141

Girl Next Door

Post by Girl Next Door » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:18 am

Day 1 - December 31
No S - NWS Day - Exempt

Day 2 - January 1
No S - Exempt

Day 3 - January 2
No S - Exempt

Three days in and No S is going great! ;) It's easy when you start with an NWS day and go into two S days.

Tomorrow - will be the real test.
Girl Next Door

12/31/10 - 177
10/14/12 - 167
Healthy Range - 113-141

Girl Next Door

Post by Girl Next Door » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:53 am

Day 4 - January 3
No-S - success

Also went to exercise class this morning.

It was easier than I expected. Last time, starting up, I felt so hungry all the time, but today. . . a little hunger before meals but other than that, not much.
Girl Next Door

12/31/10 - 177
10/14/12 - 167
Healthy Range - 113-141

mjhalso

Good work

Post by mjhalso » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:50 pm

I think doing both exercise and diet is key (obviously)... if I only do one i feel like I am cheating in some way... or failing is a better word... So I try to exercise in some way every day... The gym each day or tennis...

Girl Next Door

Post by Girl Next Door » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:03 am

Day 5 - January 4

No S - success

Exercise class tomorrow.
Girl Next Door

12/31/10 - 177
10/14/12 - 167
Healthy Range - 113-141

Girl Next Door

Post by Girl Next Door » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:18 am

Day 6 - January 5
No - S - Failure (slight)

Day 7 - January 6
No-S - Failure (larger)

Well, the last two days haven't been great, but they haven't been epic failures by any stretch of the imagination.

Day 6 failure was slight - eating leftover rice off a serving spoon. I did this without thinking - and to build better habits I don't want to eat without thinking.

Day 7 failure was larger. First thing - I coaxed my daughter out of bed by promising to split a donut with her after we both had an egg. As I was eating the donut I realized that, even though it was part of a meal, it really was a sweet and not for an N day. Also didn't eat enough at lunch and was ravenous by late afternoon. I had a coffee and milk chocolate covered grahams at our local Starbucks. Both were concious decisions - the food didn't ambush me.

Onward and upward. . . no sweets for breakfast tomorrow, and more lunch.
Girl Next Door

12/31/10 - 177
10/14/12 - 167
Healthy Range - 113-141

Girl Next Door

Post by Girl Next Door » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:48 pm

Wow, I didn't realize it had been quite this long since posting. A few days after I posted last a family member died unexpectedly. That sent many of us into a tailspin of sorts. . . took quite a while to deal with that. Then I just never got back here.

I've combined No-S with some of the information from the book Mastering Leptin. This book has been discussed in the forums. I think of Mastering Leptin as a scientific theory behind why No-S works. For me, the key information in Mastering Leptin is a limit to the amount of coffee drunk per day, some supplements that seem to be helping (nothing exotic), limit to carbs and spacing meals 5 to 6 hours apart. I also have been walking more, as well as doing Crossfit twice a week. I think what I'm doing has a hormonal balancing effect on me and I think that's the key to it for me.

In the past two years I've been as high a weight as 176 and as low as 166. I'd love to see a number below 165 - haven't been there in about 8 or 9 years I think. Currently I'm at 167 and heading down.

I have read the forums quite regularly these last few years. I never kept a habitcal but I have been taking notes (in a notebook!) about various health related things that come up. Three meals per day and no snacking really helps me feel good physically and mentally.

I don't plan to check in regularly but will check in sporatically. Life is good and I am enjoying it!
Girl Next Door

12/31/10 - 177
10/14/12 - 167
Healthy Range - 113-141

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:42 am

Happy 50th!
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Girl Next Door

Post by Girl Next Door » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:37 pm

Thank you, Oolala! It was an awesome birthday!
Girl Next Door

12/31/10 - 177
10/14/12 - 167
Healthy Range - 113-141

Girl Next Door

Post by Girl Next Door » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:41 pm

Time to get back in the saddle. Christmas is over, we made it through January (dark and gray here, if I could sleep though January I would), the birthday cake is gone - and I've gained weight. Three pounds and Christmas, and five since then. I've had snacks here and there and sweets too(a lot this past week). Time to get back at it because I know it works for me!

Today's weight - 175.
Girl Next Door

12/31/10 - 177
10/14/12 - 167
Healthy Range - 113-141

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:20 am

A PERFECT time!
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)