Melissa's Daily Check In

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

tziyonah

Melissa's Daily Check In

Post by tziyonah » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:24 pm

I'm starting back on NoS after a successful period this summer - and then letting things fall apart as I studied for the LSATs. I'm just trying to keep things together as I go through the stress of applying to law school. I'm hoping that trying to post each day will at least keep me honest with myself.

Wish me luck!

tziyonah

Re: Melissa's Daily Check In

Post by tziyonah » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:24 pm

Yesterday was day 1 - and reasonably successful. Dinner was a bit in stages (we made pancakes and then had veggies and cheese afterwards). Have to work on eating dinner at a single sitting.

tziyonah

Post by tziyonah » Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:23 pm

Tuesday another night of staged dinners which are quite hard. But I did go to aerobics in the morning.

Wednesday having a hard time sitting down to eat lunch - and ate very, very late.

Thursday am - back to aerobics class. So at least something is going right!

Anyone have any suggestions for making sitting down to meals a priority? Even just doing this vague tracking for a few days, I'm seeing that that's a problem.

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:02 pm

With a really busy lifestyle, it's hard. Maybe try one meal at a time? Standardize breakfast, then standardize dinner if you can. Lunch may always be hard to pin down.

It's worthwhile making rituals around meals - like saying grace (even if you aren't religious, it's worth taking a few seconds to just be thankful for what you have), and then eat it mindfully.
tziyonah wrote:Tuesday another night of staged dinners which are quite hard. But I did go to aerobics in the morning.

Wednesday having a hard time sitting down to eat lunch - and ate very, very late.

Thursday am - back to aerobics class. So at least something is going right!

Anyone have any suggestions for making sitting down to meals a priority? Even just doing this vague tracking for a few days, I'm seeing that that's a problem.
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

tziyonah

Post by tziyonah » Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:07 pm

Kevin wrote:With a really busy lifestyle, it's hard. Maybe try one meal at a time? Standardize breakfast, then standardize dinner if you can. Lunch may always be hard to pin down.

It's worthwhile making rituals around meals - like saying grace (even if you aren't religious, it's worth taking a few seconds to just be thankful for what you have), and then eat it mindfully.

Thanks for the advice! I'm going to try the mindfulness idea!

tziyonah

Post by tziyonah » Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:13 pm

A bit more successful yesterday. I really appreciated Kevin's mindfulness comment - and I'm going to try and incorporate it in the coming days.

Now let's see how the lovely "s" days go.

Melissa