hilly6000's Daily Log

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

hilly6000

hilly6000's Daily Log

Post by hilly6000 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:13 am

Day 1: SUCCESS!

woke: 1 PM (I want to be accountable for waking up at 8AM, as I want to create a sleeping schedule for myself... never really had one. My goal is to go to bed at 12, but I'm excluding myself from this for today, as I have to work myself up to it... tomorrow I expect to wake up around 10:30).

b- bowl of strawberry oatmeal
a moderate glass of milk

l- bowl of roast/veggie stew with a handful of crushed up saltines

d- generous bowl of cereal
granola bar (2 small ones come in the packet)

I ate when I was hungry. I didn't really crave any snacks or sweets. I was satisfied with what I ate. I enjoyed my food for the first time in a long while. I also don't feel guilty. My issue is probably going to be trust and patience. I really want this to be my style of eating.

hilly6000

Post by hilly6000 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:57 am

Day 2: SUCCESS!

woke: 11am, which is better than I thought would realistically happen.

b- breakfast bagel
milk

l- 2 mini fajitas

d- bowl of soup, crackers

I stayed up to about 4 in the morning, and I didn't think I would make it. I thought I would ruin my first day... but I didn't! I don't know why... usually I would give in and say, "I'll do it tomorrow", but I just feel like this is my chance to do it right and sincerely change myself... I know it's hard but it must be done. I want to stop worrying about food and lose some weight. I am happy I stuck to it. And I just said no to cookies on an N-day... and I don't feel deprived.

I feel really good about that. Now I hope that I can get my sleep on track so it'll be even easier. I also decided against something to go with my soup because I knew the soup would fill me up... which it did. Maybe I'm not so far off as I thought. I guess it DOES help with seeing all the excess... wish me luck since my lady time is here and I expect it won't be too fun.

Yay!

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:29 am

I totally agree with what you said about wanting this to be your style of eating. I want that for myself - and my family

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:10 am

Good job on your successes! Keep it up!

hilly6000

Post by hilly6000 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:58 am

Day 3: SUCCESS!

THANKS for the support!

woke: 9:45

b- 2 eggo waffles, drizzle of syrup
1 egg with cheese
half glass of sunny D

l- PBJ sandwich
pack of crackers (peanut butter)
cup of milk

d- green beans
green tea rice (white)
piece of chicken

I feel like I ate too much today. I put butter on the egg when cooking it because I was trying to fry it. I don't really know how to do that. I also cooked the chicken in a little vegetable oil, which I feel bad for... but I tried to get some off. I guess I just don't feel like I made the best choices possible that I could have.

I've been having some hunger inbetween breakfast and lunch, but I just distract myself. I realize that sitting down and crocheting and watching a movie or something helps a great deal. Other than a little guilt that might be unwarrented, I know that if I didn't have a structure of some sort, that I would eat worse than this. I am still having problems with trusting that it will work... but I don't see why it SHOULDN'T work. But at this point, I am starting to accept myself as I am... so big or small... I just need to focus on creating good habits. At least I feel like I am making progess.
Last edited by hilly6000 on Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:39 pm

You feel bad because you are using a small amount of fat to cook your food? Stop feeling bad. It's part of cooking! If you spend too much time worrying about the small number of calories in a little cooking oil, rather than making an enjoyable meal, you're going to have a hard time with No-S. Make a good meal and enjoy it!
hilly6000 wrote:Day 3: SUCCESS!

THANKS for the support!

b- 2 eggo waffles, drizzle of syrup
1 egg with cheese
half glass of sunny D

l- PBJ sandwich
pack of crackers (peanut butter)
cup of milk

d- green beans
green tea rice (white)
piece of chicken

I feel like I ate too much today. I put butter on the egg when cooking it because I was trying to fry it. I don't really know how to do that. I also cooked the chicken in a little vegetable oil, which I feel bad for... but I tried to get some off. I guess I just don't feel like I made the best choices possible that I could have.

I've been having some hunger inbetween breakfast and lunch, but I just distract myself. I realize that sitting down and crocheting and watching a movie or something helps a great deal. Other than a little guilt that might be unwarrented, I know that if I didn't have a structure of some sort, that I would eat worse than this. I am still having problems with trusting that it will work... but I don't see why it SHOULDN'T work. But at this point, I am starting to accept myself as I am... so big or small... I just need to focus on creating good habits. At least I feel like I am making progess.
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:58 pm

Heheh. Last night I cooked roast beef, gravy, yorkshire puddings, cauliflower and green beans.

The gravy I made with fat from the beef, I made the yorkshire pudding batter with an extra egg yolk for added nutrition and cooked them in about a quarter inch of duck fat. I use about a half tablespoon of grass-fed butter on my vegetables.

And that was just dinner.....

Your teeny bit of fat was nothin' :)

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:54 pm

You go, Dandelion!
Kevin

hilly6000

Post by hilly6000 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:34 am

Day 4: SUCCESS!

woke: 9:30... aiming for 8 tomorrow. Hopefully I get my butt up!

b- sunny D
breakfast bagel (pastrami/cheese)

l- 1 and a half eggsalad sandwiches (I wasn't sure if I should have two sandwiches-- altho they fit on my plate-- I gave my boyfriend the other half)
wheat thins

d- PBJ sandwich
glass of milk
granola bar (2 in a pack)

I still feel as if I'm eating too much... but it might just be me not accustomed to eating the food I want... as I usually wouldn't eat these foods. To be honest, I used to try to stick to the same things everyday on my diets... and the variety is keeping me content. I'm surprised I am on day 4. I don't know how long I will have trust issues with this... I am just not believing I will lose weight like this... but I do feel better. It's as much as I can do to not add more limits to this, but I know it's my natural instinct. I'm getting a little nervous about the weekend coming up, but I'm sure it'll be okay.

I REALLY appreciate all the feedback I'm getting... It makes me happy to know that everyone is so supportive.

Dandelion: All of that food sounds SO GOOD. Can I have dinner with you? lol

Kevin: Thanks for your support, I appreciate it!

clarinetgirl: Thank you!

Also had my first BIG TEMPTATION to make my want to go off plan and make excuses. I resisted Half Bake ice cream. The hurried thoughts were, "I can just mark today as a failure... it's almost the weekend. I'll make up for it."

But in the far back of my head I thought, "Well, WHEN are you REALLY going to change?" So for myself I just said no, although I REALLY wanted it. I need to do it for my health too. So I feel like that is a good personal achievement. It was TOUGH, though. If it's still there on saturday I will have a bite or two. If not, another time. It'll wait for me.

Starla

Post by Starla » Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:03 pm

Congratulations, hilly! I believe No S is established in little victories that are really BIG wins - and you just had one with your Half Baked Ice Cream.

Remember, especially at the beginning what's important is establishing new habits. You may overeat at some meals, but don't freak out about it or try to punish yourself.

You're doing great!

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:25 pm

hilly6000 wrote: But in the far back of my head I thought, "Well, WHEN are you REALLY going to change?" .
Great question - great answer. Good going!

hilly6000

Post by hilly6000 » Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:40 am

Day 5: S DAY

Day 6: S DAY

Can't begin to explain what I ate these two days. I took friday as my s day in place of sunday, so I have to be good tomorrow! Happy Halloween!

Girl Next Door

Post by Girl Next Door » Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:48 am

hilly6000 wrote:Day 5: S DAY

Day 6: S DAY

Can't begin to explain what I ate these two days. I took friday as my s day in place of sunday, so I have to be good tomorrow! Happy Halloween!
Yes, I find I don't pay a huge amount of attention on S days either. Although, interestingly, the one weekend (so far) I've had that I had a specific planned treat (same treat eaten multiple times, LOL) was the most satisfying.
Girl Next Door
"Don't I know you from somewhere?"

12/31/10 - 177
10/14/12 - 167
Healthy Range - 113-141

hilly6000

Post by hilly6000 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:38 am

Day 7: FAILED

Today I had Chile's, but I took that huge meal and spaced it over the day. It wasn't to No-s guidelines, but I feel proud for not going crazy and eating everything in sight like I usually would.

Hummm... let's see. Why I failed? I don't know. I've been thinking about whether I should switch from 3 meals to 2 meals... If you don't agree with this, please don't lecture me. I don't agree with modern methods at all. I think that three meals to a person now a days is far too much. I've been reading some articles on the two meal a day thing and it makes sense to me. Although, I still agree wholly with No S. Sweets, seconds, and snacks are unnecessary... but I'm starting to think the modern day third meal is unnecessary. I think the 6 meal a day thing and metabolism rate is bull. The weight will come off if you practice moderaton, period. But I have noticed how I FEEL when I eat two meals a day... I feel evenly spaced. I don't feel sluggish. I feel sharper. I feel like there is more point.

Honestly, I think there is too much food in 3 meals, even if they are "moderate". I don't think the modern man KNOWS what moderate is... I agree a lot about how the digestive system needs time to rest inbetween meals. I think 3 moderate meals is still too much food. Just call me crazy... but I stuck to 3 meals cause it's what is normal today... but I want to do what people who were in shape and healthy did back at the peak of human society... where they ate two meals later in the day. Because I'm diabetic, I am going to have a glass of juice as my "breakfast". But you know, breakfast wasn't even created until modern society, where Englishwomen would take chocolate in bed before going about the day's work. The mind is lean on a fairly empty stomach.

If you want to know more about this, just PM me. I have articles. If you disagree with me, I suggest you keep it to yourself. Other than that, I am going to keep up with the forums and use my habitcal.

I failed today, but I know I am changing, and that's the most important to me.

Thanks for all the support!

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:00 pm

No-S doesn't rule out eating just two meals. There have been others here in the past that have done that. Let us know how it goes for you.
hilly6000 wrote:Day 7: FAILED

Today I had Chile's, but I took that huge meal and spaced it over the day. It wasn't to No-s guidelines, but I feel proud for not going crazy and eating everything in sight like I usually would.

Hummm... let's see. Why I failed? I don't know. I've been thinking about whether I should switch from 3 meals to 2 meals... If you don't agree with this, please don't lecture me. I don't agree with modern methods at all. I think that three meals to a person now a days is far too much. I've been reading some articles on the two meal a day thing and it makes sense to me. Although, I still agree wholly with No S. Sweets, seconds, and snacks are unnecessary... but I'm starting to think the modern day third meal is unnecessary. I think the 6 meal a day thing and metabolism rate is bull. The weight will come off if you practice moderaton, period. But I have noticed how I FEEL when I eat two meals a day... I feel evenly spaced. I don't feel sluggish. I feel sharper. I feel like there is more point.

Honestly, I think there is too much food in 3 meals, even if they are "moderate". I don't think the modern man KNOWS what moderate is... I agree a lot about how the digestive system needs time to rest inbetween meals. I think 3 moderate meals is still too much food. Just call me crazy... but I stuck to 3 meals cause it's what is normal today... but I want to do what people who were in shape and healthy did back at the peak of human society... where they ate two meals later in the day. Because I'm diabetic, I am going to have a glass of juice as my "breakfast". But you know, breakfast wasn't even created until modern society, where Englishwomen would take chocolate in bed before going about the day's work. The mind is lean on a fairly empty stomach.

If you want to know more about this, just PM me. I have articles. If you disagree with me, I suggest you keep it to yourself. Other than that, I am going to keep up with the forums and use my habitcal.

I failed today, but I know I am changing, and that's the most important to me.

Thanks for all the support!
Kevin

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:18 pm

I think I could easily have been fine with two meals this weekend, I ate so much at lunch. I'm working on a different way around this that I think will work for me. Other people would probably think my way was weird - but whatever works - works :)

hilly6000

Post by hilly6000 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:31 pm

Day b1: FAILED

Why did I fail? It was my choice. I drank juice for breakfast. I was definitely hungry waiting for lunch, but lunch fixed that when it happened. Later on, I cooked dinner, and MAN did it fill me up. But I think there are two points of fullness with me 1) When my stomach fills up the first time 2) When I push PAST the fullness and open my stomach up more... but you DEFINITELY know when you're doing this.

But I ate two slices of cake leftover fromthe holidays. Then I just decided to eat some chips and soda, and all that jazz. What made me fail? I failed by choice. I know that if I had said no to all of that I'd be fine, and I wouldn't have been deprived, either.

Well, I've not been using my habitcal as much. Today I'm going to fine-tune MY modified no-s. I can see where 1 sweet will make you feel guilty, or open the door to overeating, so I am going to stick to the guidelines.

Let's hope I don't find a reason to go off plan today :P

BIG THANKS to Kevin and Dandelion, who are SO supportive and level-headed. I honestly expected a bad word or two because I seem fickle with things... but I feel like I'm getting to how my body works the best.

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:54 pm

There you go again sounding like me. I find that it's a lot easier just to leave that 'door' closed rather than try to close it after it's opened.

I ate so much lunch today I feel uncomfortable, but I found success was easier when I ate more - so I'm repeating what worked before in the hopes it will again. Once I'm not having the urge to snack all the time I'll address how much I'm eating at meals.

We'll both get it figured out..eventually :)

hilly6000

Post by hilly6000 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:43 am

Day c1: FAILED

Uggh... Well, let's get my sleep fixed first, then try agan. Sleep is more important... I failed today because I was just awake too long. I didn't eat very much, which is another helpful thing about this way of eating, but it wasn't a success. We really need to get that cake into the trash can. It just seems like I'm the only one eating it.

I really want to move out from my roommate's home. My boyfriend and I are going to move soon (hopefully), and he's going to build us a little place. I just want my own things... and just as important, the ability to not have cakes lying willy nilly all over the place. That would be nice.

magicman

Post by magicman » Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:01 am

As anyone who has read my thread knows, I'm no poster boy for vanilla no-S....

But you could also notice that I made it 21 days on vanilla before I started changing things around.

Whatever decision you make for your next real Day 1, be resolved to stick to it for 21 days before you change it. Three meals works fine for most people. Two meals can also work fine. But you should choose your course while standing on the bank, not midstream.

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:51 pm

You do what's best for you, right? We all do. We do it mindfully and good things happen.

There was a guy with the tag Freakwitch that used to post a lot. He was a two-mealer.

Just a question - is juice the right choice for breakfast? You mentioned you were diabetic - I'm assuming Type II. Something as sweet as orange juice (which Type Is like me use to raise our blood sugar when we are hypoglycemic) might be making your Bg spike, then drop. I know you don't want a meal at breakfast, but consider maybe plain yogurt, or milk, just a little, which has some protein to slow down the lactose uptake. Same small number of calories, different blend of nutrition.

My favorite way to break the fast is 1/4 cup of Bob's Red Mill Mueseli and two ounces of milk to wet it. It's all grain, fruits, and nuts, high in protein (for a grain meal), and very gentle on the Bg. Probably no more calories than 8 ounced of OJ.

Cake is hard to resist, isn't it? Sigh.
hilly6000 wrote:Day b1: FAILED

Why did I fail? It was my choice. I drank juice for breakfast. I was definitely hungry waiting for lunch, but lunch fixed that when it happened. Later on, I cooked dinner, and MAN did it fill me up. But I think there are two points of fullness with me 1) When my stomach fills up the first time 2) When I push PAST the fullness and open my stomach up more... but you DEFINITELY know when you're doing this.

But I ate two slices of cake leftover fromthe holidays. Then I just decided to eat some chips and soda, and all that jazz. What made me fail? I failed by choice. I know that if I had said no to all of that I'd be fine, and I wouldn't have been deprived, either.

Well, I've not been using my habitcal as much. Today I'm going to fine-tune MY modified no-s. I can see where 1 sweet will make you feel guilty, or open the door to overeating, so I am going to stick to the guidelines.

Let's hope I don't find a reason to go off plan today :P

BIG THANKS to Kevin and Dandelion, who are SO supportive and level-headed. I honestly expected a bad word or two because I seem fickle with things... but I feel like I'm getting to how my body works the best.
Last edited by Kevin on Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kevin

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:17 pm

magicman wrote:Three meals works fine for most people. Two meals can also work fine. But you should choose your course while standing on the bank, not midstream.
Excellent advice - I think I'll steal it!

hilly6000

Post by hilly6000 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:13 am

I obviously cannot be trusted to use my common sense, and go willy nilly everywhere. I trusted it, then allowed myself to eat cake and french fries. My stomach was uncomfortably full. Mind you, this is MUCH better than other days I've had (saintly even). So, I'm keeping a food journal marking the habits I wish to change, and following vanilla no-s. Like magicman said, I ought to do it right for 21 days.

I guess I will just do what I feel is right, which is have my food journal and try to get 21 days under my belt. I did better when I used my habitcal.

Sorry for being so fickle, but alas... I guess I just need to trust in the plan
"The question is: Can we turn him back again?
The question is: Do we want to?"

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:18 am

Hang in there. You'll make it. We believe in you. :)
hilly6000 wrote:I obviously cannot be trusted to use my common sense, and go willy nilly everywhere. I trusted it, then allowed myself to eat cake and french fries. My stomach was uncomfortably full. Mind you, this is MUCH better than other days I've had (saintly even). So, I'm keeping a food journal marking the habits I wish to change, and following vanilla no-s. Like magicman said, I ought to do it right for 21 days.

I guess I will just do what I feel is right, which is have my food journal and try to get 21 days under my belt. I did better when I used my habitcal.

Sorry for being so fickle, but alas... I guess I just need to trust in the plan
Kevin

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:58 am

You'll get it! Someone said we learn more from our mistakes than our victories. I know I'm misquoting - but I think you get the idea :)

hilly6000

Post by hilly6000 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:01 pm

LONG RANT:

as a kid i ate my feelings and no one taught me better. as a preteen i become self conscious and naturally decreased my intake. as a teenager i armed myself with knowledge and began to lose a substantial amount of weight. as a young adult i abused this information, obsessed, worried, and binged my way back to obesity, then made excuses to keep my bad eating habits until now. I have the information I need. I am responsible for my own actions. And I know that as an adult, I need to let the years of overeating stop with childhood, so I can live a full, happy adulthood. the selfish, childish concept of: "I get what I want, and I want to eat." is over. My only want as a child was to eat a lot, and those were the worst years of my life. Hell, all I've HAD were bad years. I want happy years now. NOW I want to control myself and be normal. I'm tired of holding myself back. I'm tired of not living. Life isn't about food. Food doesn't fix my problems. No, I don't like myself as I am. So what can I do? Change my habits to change me. Live my life the way I want to. And more than anything else, I want to have a decently normal life with food. I'm tired of food ruling my life.

Do I really crave all the sweets and the fast food? No. I've just known no other way to cope with boredom. I have hated a life where I can't have a taste on my tongue. But I have to find true happiness... not the temporary happiness of eating.

I want to wear the clothes I want to. I want to take nice pictures. I want to do things and be more social, whereas I always have felt ridiculed and watched. I want to stop feeling that people laughing are people laughing at me. I want to feel like I deserve to live, and I deserve all the nice things people do for me. I want to stop being lazy. I want to take control of my life. I want to enjoy things again... how long has it been that I did something because I wanted to, and not because I did it for someone else or because I thought I should want to do it? I want to stop feeling guilty over everything i put in my mouth.

The changes on my body may not be irreversible... but that doesn't mean they can't be healed somewhat. if i don't start now, I'll never know what could be. I'll remember that "skinny year" of my life as the best, and never get another chance to be that happy... and like myself. that was the only time I liked myself, aside from the childhood love of myself because I was oblivious.

to have ENOUGH information is key to making good decisions. to have TOO MUCH information is folly. that's how i feel. if I just TRUST myself then I can lose weight... albeit slowly. I can. I know I can. Why do I think that "tomorrow" is a good day to start, and not now? "Tomorrow" has been "the day" for the past few years.

Once I stop worrying, and just be responsible... I will lost all this unwanted weight. Why is it so hard to accept that losing weight is the simple combination of eating less and moving more? Maybe because I've wasted years of my life doing differently and am still making excuses? maybe because i want to keep being irresponsible and have no limit on my food intake? maybe it's habit?

I don't know. I don't want to make excuses anymore. I want to feel proud of myself. I WANT to eat food in moderation. I WANT to change. I'm tired of taking back things I really feel.

I don't care anymore what people think of me... but I still care what I think of myself. Sometimes it feels like I'm trying to control two people at once. My brain and my will seem to never be the same person.

And I'm going to keep this ramble up here, because if I don't I'll make more excuses.
Last edited by hilly6000 on Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:23 pm

Did I read correctly that your goal is to sleep three or four hours a day?
Kevin

hilly6000

Post by hilly6000 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:34 pm

No, no, no. My goal is to wake up at 8 in the morning, and get to bed before 11 or 12 in the late evening. I've never had a sleeping schedule and I'm usually an all-nighter. So I would get about 8 or more hours, depending on how early I got to bed. I think I would be the biggest you-know-what if I only slept 3-4 hours a day

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:06 pm

I often think of writing down my thoughts like you did - but never get around to it before I change my mind :). Maybe I should.

So you'll be posting less? I'm cutting back on my posting. If it helps, great - if I start wandering..I'll post more.

hilly6000

Post by hilly6000 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:11 pm

Not post less, per se, but posting my personal achievements rather than specifics about each day. That was really just a declaration, after being frustrated with myself.

So yesterday was my S day. It went decently well. I ate less at the Chinese restaurant, and felt satisfied and full, but I didn't eat as much as I usually do. The only thing I would have changed is that frappachino and the baquette I had at the end of the day, but hey, it's an S-day and I did what I was supposed to. Today's a regular day, so wish me luck!

hilly6000

Post by hilly6000 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:14 pm

More than anything, last night I wanted to get some icecream at the end of the day. I wasn't hungry, per se, but I wasn't full either. Well, I waited and waited, and at the last moment I had to remind myself that it was this time that I was gonna do it right... so I didn't. I'm glad I didn't. I hope I stick to this. I really am impatient and reckless sometimes... but I know this is good for me and will help me be who I want to be. I can't wait until my body adjusts to the amount I'm eating.

Hope everyone else is practicing their willpower! These few weeks are going to be difficult, but worth it!

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:24 am

You made a promise to yourself and you kept it. That's the way to build discipline. Way to go, Hilly.
hilly6000 wrote:More than anything, last night I wanted to get some icecream at the end of the day. I wasn't hungry, per se, but I wasn't full either. Well, I waited and waited, and at the last moment I had to remind myself that it was this time that I was gonna do it right... so I didn't. I'm glad I didn't. I hope I stick to this. I really am impatient and reckless sometimes... but I know this is good for me and will help me be who I want to be. I can't wait until my body adjusts to the amount I'm eating.

Hope everyone else is practicing their willpower! These few weeks are going to be difficult, but worth it!
Kevin

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:08 pm

I"m finally reaching the point when habit is taking over - where the way I feel *not snacking* is normal and preferable to the way I feel when I do snack. It is totally worth it!

hilly6000

Post by hilly6000 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:25 pm

I haven't been posting on here very much. I'm usually a person who will say and not do... so I have been working on something that I can actually stick to and has worked, until for some reason, usually sleep, it has messed me up. So lately I have been working on getting a routine with sleep, and also I have been eating two meals a day. They are decently sized meals, moderately healthy, but more than anything... I enjoy them.

Breakfast/lunch has been giving me a problem. I had tried drinking a drink for breakfast and having a small lunch, then overdoing it at the end of the day. Breakfast and lunch were just far too small. Now the amount I eat in my first meal and last meal are 1 plate... and it fills me up, which is something I need. I am one of those people that can't eat tiny meals, or else I go crazy and ruin it. I have to get full (comfortably) the first time, then I can wait hours and hours to eat. So far it's been working and I enjoy it. So that's what I've been doing lately.

Also, I like the few hours between dinner and bed, because now when I go to bed, I feel good. Now when I go to bed, I don't feel full and miserable. I could stand to eat something before sleep, but that's the point of getting to bed on time. The earlier I wake up (my goal is 8am), the easier it will be to start going to bed around 10/11, and then I won't be up so long and wanting to eat in the evening.

I guess what my life has needed is routine, not plans. Routine is far nicer and easier. I don't know what I've been doing with myself this whole time. Oh well. Better that I've learned this now.

And for the record, I have two cats in my lap giving me hell... but I love 'em anyway lol

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:30 pm

I'm glad the pattern is comforting to you now. Way to hang in, Hilly.

Our cat has found a new way to disturb us when she's feeling mischievous. When she puts her paws up to scratch something, the dog whines (or as my wife says, "tattles"). So, now she walks over to where the dog is and flexes her claws... and the dog does his pavlovian response. Sigh.
hilly6000 wrote:I haven't been posting on here very much. I'm usually a person who will say and not do... so I have been working on something that I can actually stick to and has worked, until for some reason, usually sleep, it has messed me up. So lately I have been working on getting a routine with sleep, and also I have been eating two meals a day. They are decently sized meals, moderately healthy, but more than anything... I enjoy them.

Breakfast/lunch has been giving me a problem. I had tried drinking a drink for breakfast and having a small lunch, then overdoing it at the end of the day. Breakfast and lunch were just far too small. Now the amount I eat in my first meal and last meal are 1 plate... and it fills me up, which is something I need. I am one of those people that can't eat tiny meals, or else I go crazy and ruin it. I have to get full (comfortably) the first time, then I can wait hours and hours to eat. So far it's been working and I enjoy it. So that's what I've been doing lately.

Also, I like the few hours between dinner and bed, because now when I go to bed, I feel good. Now when I go to bed, I don't feel full and miserable. I could stand to eat something before sleep, but that's the point of getting to bed on time. The earlier I wake up (my goal is 8am), the easier it will be to start going to bed around 10/11, and then I won't be up so long and wanting to eat in the evening.

I guess what my life has needed is routine, not plans. Routine is far nicer and easier. I don't know what I've been doing with myself this whole time. Oh well. Better that I've learned this now.

And for the record, I have two cats in my lap giving me hell... but I love 'em anyway lol
Kevin

hilly6000

Post by hilly6000 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:50 pm

I have been sticking to my little routine as much as I can. I have been doing better with the eating than with the sleeping, but I have been doing decently with both.

I have been waking up at 10/11 lately. Usually 10:30. I keep hitting that snooze button 3-4 times just to be warm in my bed. I know I could wake up when the alarm goes off but there is always that rebel without a cause in me.

When I lie down to bed I am not tired in the slightest, but if I sit there for a few minutes and lay in my sleeping position, then I DO go to sleep. For some reason, I just sleep a LOT! Maybe 10 or so hours? My goal is to not sleep SO MUCH (8 hours) simply because I want to get tired when it's later in the day like a normal person.

With my eating, I have had times in the evening when I am tempted to get something to eat, even if it's a little snack. I stop myself, because I know that is takes many days to establish a habit. I have been very firm with myself to sticking to my 2 plates a day. My morning meal is something breakfast-like or lunch-like... and I always try to eat a piece of fruit.

My dinner is whatever I make, and I always try to have a form of veggies along with the meal. Although last night I had two homemade soft tacos and chocolate milk (carnation nutrient pack), which I admit, it kind of weird. But I really enjoyed it, so I guess that's what counts.

For now, as long as I wake up at 10 for the time being and stick to two meals a day I'm not too worried. I really want to establish habit and routine into my life and I know my body needs to adjust and I know it will take time.

At night, when I am craving things, I get myself ice water and drink some before I go and lay down. So far this has been working. I think a lot of my success comes from NOT writing everything down. If I have to write everything, then it's not really habit, is it? I mentally count calories in my head, but I am trying to stop that as well.

I really, really want myself to follow this. I hope that I don't talk myself out of this way.

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:40 pm

I feel the same way. I want it to just be natural - not something I have to 'do' or think about all the time.

I also eat 'weird' things. Since I"m not eating snacks - it's mealtime or nothing :) yesterday I wanted two things for breakfast - and couldn't decide between brioche and hot chocolate, or yogurt topped with homemade granola :) - so I had a little of both.

hilly6000

Post by hilly6000 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:47 am

Mmm. That really makes me want some hot chocolate with some whipped cream (real cream) on top.

hilly6000

Post by hilly6000 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:37 am

I'm still doing well. I am very focused (or maybe my success is NOT being focused). I haven't been writing anything down... although my perfectionist side of me WANTS me to. I know once I write things down and try to be professional about this I will mess up. That's how I am. The days have been going by because I wake up, eat my meal when I see fit. I eat my second meal when my man gets home. When it's time for bed I guzzle water, which I am VERY thirsty for. There isn't a need to write things down.

With sleep, I have been waking up a little later than I want, but I will get it soon.

hilly6000

Post by hilly6000 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:49 pm

Woke up at 10:30 today. It felt good to wake up somewhat on time for once. I hit the snooze button twice. My reasoning was: "Only long enough for the room to get warm from the heater". Tomorrow I am going to set the clock earlier and try to wake up then. Still working to getting to 10 in the morning.

At night it seems like all my thoughts crash in on me right before I go to bed. I might have to try to calm myself and just let myself fall asleep. Last night I went to bed earlier.

Sleep is my hardest challenge, but I think with time I will get it right to where I can go to sleep by 11 or so. For now the goal is always by 12, or in bed around 12.

With my eating, I have been doing well. I have resisted any temptation to get a snack at the end of the day. Drinking the water REALLY helps. Compared to people who can eat small frequent meals, I don't think I could ever do that. I like two decent meals a day. Usually dinner is much more substantial. I feel good eating two meals a day... and my stomach hasn't been hurting like it usually does when I eat too much food.

All I know is that I am eating less. Yesterday I just had a bowl of cereal for breakfast, and I thought it wouldn't be enough for dinner. Well I was very hungry before dinner but I held out and everything was fine.

I guess the main keypoints for success for me is routine, finding distractions to keep me busy, and to do things gradually without a time limit. I'm glad I've found something that I feel comfortable doing.

Maybe my real issue hasn't been with food or self control, just lack of structure.

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:25 pm

I know what you mean about structure. The crazier life gets, the better that structure feels.

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:56 am