tlang313's daily check-in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Mrs. Toast

tlang313's daily check-in

Post by Mrs. Toast » Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:58 am

Day 5

Monday- N Day- Success!

I got pretty hungry today in between meals, but I made it through the day with no sweets/snacks/seconds. I'm looking forward to this getting easier.

Because I don't snack anymore during the week I feel the need to make my 3 meals really tasty, so I made some Trader Joe's Chimichurri Rice with chicken. Super good. And, I think that my weight has stabilized dispelling my fears that the carbohydrate boogeyman would return overnight with my hard won 10 pound bacon induced ketogenic weight loss.

p.s. I still can't get off the bacon, but I had to cut down a bit.

Kevin

Re: tlang313's daily check-in

Post by Kevin » Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:23 pm

Welcome to No S!

You'll have to tell us a little more about your bacon based diet, and what ketogenic weight loss is - I'm envisioning this [oxymoron] extreme version of Atkins [/oxymoron] where all you eat is highly cured, high-sodium pork products... am I close? :)

Colorful vegetables every day keep the carb boogieman away. At least that's what I've found.
tlang313 wrote:Day 5

Monday- N Day- Success!

I got pretty hungry today in between meals, but I made it through the day with no sweets/snacks/seconds. I'm looking forward to this getting easier.

Because I don't snack anymore during the week I feel the need to make my 3 meals really tasty, so I made some Trader Joe's Chimichurri Rice with chicken. Super good. And, I think that my weight has stabilized dispelling my fears that the carbohydrate boogeyman would return overnight with my hard won 10 pound bacon induced ketogenic weight loss.

p.s. I still can't get off the bacon, but I had to cut down a bit.
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

Mrs. Toast

Post by Mrs. Toast » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:40 pm

Hi Kevin,

No, that would be the pork sweat diet!

Extreme version of atkins . . . oxymoron indeed. Works for some people I guess. I just did low carb Atkins induction type diet, and in the process discovered that I really like bacon, which I think in moderation is not so bad.

Now I find that if I don't keep meals balanced I get really hungry later, so I try to just divide up my plate with protein, veggies and carbs, and that seems to work. I think you're right about the colorful veggies everyday.

Mrs. Toast

Post by Mrs. Toast » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:51 am

Day 6- N Day- Success!

So I was super duper hungry last night, but I held out until breakfast, and then I finished breakfast and I was still hungry. But that pretty much subsided after lunch and I've been fine since, and I had a normal sized lunch and so I think my body might be finally adjusting, let's hope.

I weighed myself and I've lost 2 lbs, yay me! But that seems like icing on the cake because I'm feeling pretty good about this whole experience so far.

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:53 pm

It can take quite some time for the between-meal-hungries to become a normal part of your life, and not to be feared.

I'll tell you the truth though: last Thursday they came back to me with a vengeance. And this is an experienced No-Ser talking. Some days are just tougher than others.

For breakfast, I like Bob's Red Mill Muesli with either milk or yogurt. That keeps the hungries away all morning.

I'm glad you are having so much success.
tlang313 wrote:Day 6- N Day- Success!

So I was super duper hungry last night, but I held out until breakfast, and then I finished breakfast and I was still hungry. But that pretty much subsided after lunch and I've been fine since, and I had a normal sized lunch and so I think my body might be finally adjusting, let's hope.

I weighed myself and I've lost 2 lbs, yay me! But that seems like icing on the cake because I'm feeling pretty good about this whole experience so far.
Kevin

Mrs. Toast

Post by Mrs. Toast » Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:23 pm

Kevin, sounds like you are having success as well, way to go!

I'm starting to fear hunger less and less now, and I'm sure it won't always be easy, even after I've been doing this for a while. I usually have a pretty good breakfast, I usually eat some slices of apple, some yogurt, 2 slices of bacon (uncured, nitrate free good stuff) and some sprouted whole grain toast with coffee.

Last night I made some Indian food- gotta love those Trader Joe's sauces that make cooking easy. I don't know how I ever lived without Trader Joe's. This weekend for my S day treat I am looking forward to making gingerbread.

My goal is to get to 140 lbs by next Valentine's Day, which is about 21 lbs to go. I did have a lower goal weight of 125 lbs, but then I measured myself (wrists, elbows) and realized at 5'4" I have a large frame according every chart I've looked at. I think now that that goal is probably not doable nor desirable. Changing my goal to be more realistic I'm counting as a success, too, because I've been fixated on that lower number which seems so far away, and that has been kind of a bummer. I've realized that I'm closer than I think.

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:57 pm

TJ's is a fantastic place. I feel sorry for those that don't have them. I love how when you are walking through everyone has a little smile on their face... Customers I mean. :)
tlang313 wrote:Kevin, sounds like you are having success as well, way to go!

I'm starting to fear hunger less and less now, and I'm sure it won't always be easy, even after I've been doing this for a while. I usually have a pretty good breakfast, I usually eat some slices of apple, some yogurt, 2 slices of bacon (uncured, nitrate free good stuff) and some sprouted whole grain toast with coffee.

Last night I made some Indian food- gotta love those Trader Joe's sauces that make cooking easy. I don't know how I ever lived without Trader Joe's. This weekend for my S day treat I am looking forward to making gingerbread.

My goal is to get to 140 lbs by next Valentine's Day, which is about 21 lbs to go. I did have a lower goal weight of 125 lbs, but then I measured myself (wrists, elbows) and realized at 5'4" I have a large frame according every chart I've looked at. I think now that that goal is probably not doable nor desirable. Changing my goal to be more realistic I'm counting as a success, too, because I've been fixated on that lower number which seems so far away, and that has been kind of a bummer. I've realized that I'm closer than I think.
Kevin

Mrs. Toast

Post by Mrs. Toast » Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:28 am

Day 7- N Day - Success!

It's been one week of successful No S-ing, I'm a third of the way to the 21 day mark. Dinner tonight was Thai Curry Chicken (another Trader Joe's staple) with red peppers and onions. I was reading the thread about modifications and using smaller plates, and I considered it, but then I think if it isn't broke . . . think I'll stick with vanilla No S. I have to admit that the curry was so good I could've gone for seconds happily.

I'm really thankful that I'm one of those people who doesn't have a sweet tooth. Drives my husband crazy because I have a drawer in the kitchen full of chocolate that I rarely eat but I just like that it's there so when I do want some I can have some. Maybe I'm more like a chocolate hoarder. Now if it was a drawer full of hot pizza . . .

Yeah Kevin, the people that work at my local Trader Joe's are always super cheerful.

Okay, completely off topic but am I the only one who finds the Levi's goforth ad campaign a little creepy?

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:43 pm

Is that the one with the scratchy audio track of some beat poet reading a wierd poem while pictures of nubile young people and playing younger children frolic in dumpy setting? Creeps me out.
tlang313 wrote:Day 7- N Day - Success!

It's been one week of successful No S-ing, I'm a third of the way to the 21 day mark. Dinner tonight was Thai Curry Chicken (another Trader Joe's staple) with red peppers and onions. I was reading the thread about modifications and using smaller plates, and I considered it, but then I think if it isn't broke . . . think I'll stick with vanilla No S. I have to admit that the curry was so good I could've gone for seconds happily.

I'm really thankful that I'm one of those people who doesn't have a sweet tooth. Drives my husband crazy because I have a drawer in the kitchen full of chocolate that I rarely eat but I just like that it's there so when I do want some I can have some. Maybe I'm more like a chocolate hoarder. Now if it was a drawer full of hot pizza . . .

Yeah Kevin, the people that work at my local Trader Joe's are always super cheerful.

Okay, completely off topic but am I the only one who finds the Levi's goforth ad campaign a little creepy?
Kevin

Mrs. Toast

Post by Mrs. Toast » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:27 am

Kevin,

Yep, that's the one.

Day 8- N Day- Success!

Mrs. Toast

Post by Mrs. Toast » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:31 pm

Well, I think that I will have to make today an S Day even though it's Friday, but only because I am going to a birthday party for my friends kiddo and I'll probably want some birthday cake, so I'm keeping to the rules of an N-Day all day and making the exception for that.

I was considering making Sunday an N-Day, but maybe I'll just keep it S-Day lite. I don't want to mess with the basic vanilla no-s too much, and I see the value in the S-Day/N-Day balance. I figure that if I make Sunday an N-Day, then I'll have like six consecutive days of N-Days, and that may be too much. Also, I'm pretty good about keeping some moderation on the weekends, so I guess I shouldn't worry too much and have faith that my good habits carry over to the weekend. But, my plans for gingerbread will have to be delayed until next weekend, oh poor me (que sad violin music).

Also, I've been doing pretty well using the index card system this week. It also helped that I bought a big box of golf pencils, small enough to carry around with my footsoldier cards. I really like the concept of learning how to obey myself, it's really useful for getting things done.

Mrs. Toast

Post by Mrs. Toast » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:41 am

Day 12- N Day- Success!

Well, the weekend went overall pretty well. I think I may have overdid it a bit on Saturday, but oh well. We had my in-laws over and a middle eastern food feast, and then pumpkin pie. That's one of the great things about living in the Detroit area, plenty of authentic middle eastern food.

I jogged 4 miles today on my treadmill. I was doing a shorter distance (2 miles) but I'm thinking that I'm going to need to work little harder if I want to reach my weight loss goals. I know treadmills sound boring, and everyone says running is bad for your joints and all, but I felt great today afterwards. Also helps that I have those vibram five fingers running socks- because I think barefoot running is easier for me.

Mrs. Toast

Post by Mrs. Toast » Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:55 pm

Day 13- N Day- Success
Day 14- N Day- Success

Note to self: 4 miles on the treadmill might be overdoing it.

Mrs. Toast

Post by Mrs. Toast » Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:49 am

Day 15- N Day- success!

Getting closer to the 21 day mark . . . starting to feel like habit already.

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:24 pm

Nice. Keep it up!
tlang313 wrote:Day 15- N Day- success!

Getting closer to the 21 day mark . . . starting to feel like habit already.
Kevin

Mrs. Toast

Post by Mrs. Toast » Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:29 am

Thanks Kevin!

Day 16- N Day - Success

Okay, here is my one modificaton- I'm doing N-Days Sunday evening - Friday evening, and then S Days from Friday evening to Sunday evening. Seems to go with the weekend better, plus it's nice to go have a beer on a Friday night with our weekly netflix 24 marathon.

Mrs. Toast

Post by Mrs. Toast » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:05 pm

Day 20- success so far! Tomorrow is day 21! Go me! Feels like the last three weeks have just flown by. This has definitely gotten easier as the habit has formed. Its been nice to just have a habit to rely on and not feel so confused about diets, what/when to eat, counting calories, etc.

Mrs. Toast

Post by Mrs. Toast » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:00 pm

Well, it's been three weeks, and I weighed in this morning for the first time in eons under 160 lbs- 159.4! Woo-hoo! For some reason I just couldn't get under that number, and I was worried that I never would. So, that makes it about 4 lbs gone in three weeks, slow, but reliable weight loss because this is something that is actually sustainable over the long term. I am so happy because I feel like I can actually reach my goals this time.