New to No S

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Barb

New to No S

Post by Barb » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:03 pm

Hello, I am Barb from Austin, Texas and I have been reading your posts for a few weeks! Thanks everyone for the inspiration..
I started No S on 1-13 at 257, but I know that will change quickly. So far I feel like I have done well.

I would like to weigh in on Fridays and would also like to post my food daily and would appreciate any comments you may have.

Thank you!
Barb
Austin, Texas
Starting Date: 09/26/11
Starting Weight: 251.5
Current Weight: 250
Goal Weight: 160
Height: 5'7"

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:42 pm

Hi Barb in Austin TX, welcome to No-S! Hope to see you here often! Best wishes and all success to you! :D
"Self-denial's a great sweetener of pleasure."
(Patrick McGoohan's "The Prisoner")

Barb

Barb's Check in

Post by Barb » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:28 pm

Good morning, Thank you Jammin Jan for your welcome!

Yesterday was a good No S day even though it feels very strange not to be eating low fat or low carb or low something! hahahaha It is hard to change your mind set. I am going to weigh in on Friday's so we will see how I did.

Every Wednesday I take my grandsons (Brad - 6 and Blake - 5) out to dinner, and, of course, I let them pick. It was Blake's turn last night and he picked McDonalds (of course!!) hahaha McDonalds is not where I would normally choose to eat...but what we do for our kiddos!

Okay, here is my food for Wednesday, Jan 20th

Breakfast:
toasted English Muffin (ate both top and bottom)
2 slices of Turkey
1 slice of cheese

Lunch:
Turkey Sandwich on real bread (not diet bread) with real mayo
slice of cheese
Soup from the Deli at work

Dinner:
McDonalds
Angus Burger
Medium Fries

Does this look like to much food? In my diet mind it does....I am not trying to think that way. I was able to not eat the ice cream that they wanted after they ate their chicken nuggets -- normally I would have had it right along with them.

I am hoping everyone has a GREAT day! I welcome any and all comments.

[/b]
Barb
Austin, Texas
Starting Date: 09/26/11
Starting Weight: 251.5
Current Weight: 250
Goal Weight: 160
Height: 5'7"

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:41 am

Actually, I was thinking it didn't sound like a lot. Besides, you're the one that has to make the decision about what is enough, and it changes. I had one Sunday on which I hardly ate anything despite the fact it was an S day. I just felt full most of the day and didn't want to force anymore in. Other times, I've had puh-lenty. Just keep experimenting with different combinations of foods and keep N-days sacred.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:06 am

Hi Barb and welcome :)

I didn't think it looked like a lot of food either. I eat a lot at meal times, myself :) I figure the more I can eat the better off I'll be.
'I do think the way to a full and healthy life is to adopt the sensible system of small helpings, no seconds, no snacking, and a little bit of everything. Above all, have a good time.' Julia Child