O43 Check-in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Over43

Post by Over43 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:38 am

Success!

Today was a success. It started, as most of my successful days do, with a fairly dense one plate breakfast: four eggs scrambles with onion, spinach and cheese- on a whole wheat tortilla, 3 slices of turkey bacon, and apricot juice.

Lunch: not a nutirtional dynamo, a hot dog, some fries and a Diet Coke. $3.75 and the hot dog had that great "snap" when I bit into it.

Dinner: pressure cooked ribs (falling of the bone in 30 minutes. :D ), rice, and a nectarine/cantelope salad with a glass of milk.

Workout: 6x50 with the heavy rope, 2x100 with the speed rope, and ten rounds on the speed bag.

I thought I would add this youtube vid of 88 year old (now 89 year old) Sal Cappi working out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYfC0MkMHp4
Last edited by Over43 on Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

Over43

S Day

Post by Over43 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:58 pm

Today is an S Day. Yesterday was a failer day. But I did manage 1300 skips (308 straight) with the jump rope. Then I practiced on the speed bag. Practiced my "roll punch" for a time.

One way or the other, with the jumpr rope and speed bag, my legs and shoulders are getting a heck of a work out.

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

Over43

Post by Over43 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:44 am

Not being "successful", but I did limit my snacking today to a glass of milk and chocolate chip cookies. (The Walmart brand, there is something about those cookies...)

Skipped 1140 skips with the Power Rope in 15 minutes, used the speed bag for 10- 3 minute rounds, and skipped another 250 skips (total) with the heavy rope between 5 of those round. Today might have been one of the more "substantial" workouts I have had in years. Tomorrow I'll probably work the heavy bag and skip between those rounds with the speed rope.

Planning on a butte hike Saturday if the wetaher turns out decent.

Over43

Post by Over43 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:41 am

Not successful:

Way to much to eat today.

I got in about 20 minutes of jump rope, worked in the yard. Cleaned the shop which needed to be done since the taxidermist has moved out for the season. Then I sat in front of the Rockies game and ate.

Was to lazy even to take a sauna later on.

Back at it tomorrow.

O43

gk

Post by gk » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:41 am

Over43 wrote:Skipped 1140 skips with the Power Rope in 15 minutes, used the speed bag for 10- 3 minute rounds, and skipped another 250 skips (total) with the heavy rope between 5 of those round. Today might have been one of the more "substantial" workouts I have had in years. Tomorrow I'll probably work the heavy bag and skip between those rounds with the speed rope.Planning on a butte hike Saturday if the wetaher turns out decent.
I've said it before and I'll say it again....reading your posts about exercising is always so inspiring.....

But it's kinda like me staying up late and eating chocolate ice cream while watching an interview about health and fitness.......the weight doesn't seem to come off too fast that way. Wonder why?? :lol: Maybe one of these days I'll actually get OFF the couch and do more than read about it or watch it on t.v. :)
SW (as of 3/25/13): 172 lbs.
CW: 171 lbs.

Over43

Post by Over43 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:56 am

Interesting enough, I guess, the jump rope seems to stimulate "faster" weightloss. In my 20's and 30's I could skip rope for a few months and slim down 10-15 pounds without dieting. Which really shouldn't surprise, althoguh the "experts" disagree. I know a fellow who weighed 400 lbs. and ended up at 180 lbs. with a progressive program that started with walking and ended with him jogging 10 miles 4 days a week. He swore he didn't do much diet wise.

Today was a success. Although marginal at best.

Breakfast: a homemade Mcmuffin with turkey sausage and vegetable juice. (Which would actually make it not a McMuffin.)

Lunch: which makes it marginal, a burrrito supreme and a taco. I ordered the small taco, but the girl at the drive through window is a former student of mine and a taco supreme ended up in the bag. Diet Coke.

Dinner: A sixteeen ounce protein shake and a yogurt.

Exercise: 7 rounds on the speed bag, 20 minutes on the Airdyne. The combination speed bag/jump rope is really pounding my middle aged shoulders. I got some jumping jacks in between rounds.

Over43

Post by Over43 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:43 am

S Day today...Ate too much, exercised to little... :lol:

Over43

Post by Over43 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:46 pm

Jogged last night for a mile. I thought the jumping rope would prepare me to be able to jog. Not so much, it was like switching from the Airdyne to the jump rope. Learning curve.

Speed bag skills are getting better. Weight is holding steady at 185 lbs.

I don't have sleep apnea either. After my sleep study it was found I have Periodic Limb Movement Disorder, which is different than Restless Leg Syndrome.

Their suggestion: more meds.

gk

Re: 07.01.11

Post by gk » Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:50 pm

Over43 wrote:I don't have sleep apnea either. After my sleep study it was found I have Periodic Limb Movement Disorder, which is different than Restless Leg Syndrome.

Sorry to hear about that. :( On the bright side, I can practically hear the "Rocky" themed music in the background when I read about how you've exercised, so I can't imagine that does anything but help with that! You're doing great! :)

Over43

Re: 07.01.11

Post by Over43 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:05 am

gk wrote:
Over43 wrote:I don't have sleep apnea either. After my sleep study it was found I have Periodic Limb Movement Disorder, which is different than Restless Leg Syndrome.

Sorry to hear about that. :( On the bright side, I can practically hear the "Rocky" themed music in the background when I read about how you've exercised, so I can't imagine that does anything but help with that! You're doing great! :)
Well thanks, I was jogging once in California when some one shouted "Rocky" from his car, and then proceded to attempt to drive on the sidewalk after me. :shock:

For the last few years I bought into the "SuperSlow" weight lifting theory, and spent a lot of time using my Bullworker, but not a lot of conditioning work, i.e. jogging, jump rope, Airdyne (which I have had for 8 years). It is kind of strange to work up an excellent sweat during a workout again.

Whether I am healthier or not I don't know, but I do have a much better sense (feeling) of well being.

Over43

Post by Over43 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:06 pm

I'd better take an S day today.

See you all tomorrow.

I did jog this morning for 25 minutes and then skipped rope.

Over43

Post by Over43 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:27 am

Success!

Breakfast: McDonald's burritos, hash brown, iced McCafe. The ironic thing about this breakfast is I had just been fasting for a blood triglyceride test.

Lunch: Protein shake and some crackers

Dinner: chicken and pasta, green beans, salad

Jogged two miles, 4 rounds on the heavy bag

Found some pictures of my wife and I from about 12 years ago. She is still a good looking girl.

Over43

Post by Over43 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:31 am

Success? Not so much.

Went and had a Peanut Buster Parfeit at DQ tonight. Didn't do an "official" workout this evening, but walked 9 holes this afternoon in 90* weather.

My face looks thinner, and the scale is moving left again, so although I snack here and there I think right now my overall calorie intake has decreased throughout the day.

Over43

Post by Over43 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:47 pm

I am losing weight, maybe this being less uptight about it, and not bbinging is working. Or maybe it has been switching from soda to ice water. Yesterday would be a "Successs!"

Yesterday's exercise was 1.3 miles on the treadmill, 3x50 with the heavy rope, and 3 rounds of speedbag.

Today will be an S Day. My wife's birthday.

Over43

Post by Over43 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:35 am

A couple of days have passed since I have posted...

Sunday I woke up at six and jogged a mile and a third. Monday (Yesterday) I skipped rope between rounds of using the heavy bag. Today I rode the Airdyne for 25 minutes and then used the speed bag and skipped rope between rounds.

Food intake is staying steady, more than it should be, but less than it has been.

Over43

Post by Over43 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:07 pm

S Day today.

Jogged 1.36 miles in 20 minutes, so slowly my 20 minute distance is increasing. Started my speed bag workout after my jog, and of all things it was interrupted by the Jehovah's Witnesses. It's all good. I was just surprised.

Next week is almost here.

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:27 pm

Found some pictures of my wife and I from about 12 years ago. She is still a good looking girl.

*and a lucky one to have such a sweet husband*
Berry

Over43

Post by Over43 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:24 am

Started adding some juicing today. I probably over did it. We'll see how long I ride the porcelin pony tomorrow.

20 minute jog, plus 6 rounds of heavy bag, and 5 rounds of speed bag.

Over43

Post by Over43 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:31 am

Success!

25 minute Airdyne ride, walked 9 holes of golf.

Over43

Post by Over43 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:44 am

Still jogging and working the heavy bag and speed bag. I threw in some medicine ball work today as well. My new clothes are fitting nicely, particularly in the torso area.

A bunch of workmates and I are being tortured this week in a 40 hour algebra methods training. I don't even teach math and I need to go. Dang.

Over43

Post by Over43 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:33 pm

Have been continuing the hour to hour and a half workouts almost daily. I am slowly losing weight, upper body size, and getting fitter. I don't kow what to do when summer ends? I guess I could skip rope at work between classes. :lol:

I'll carry on though. Plus with busy being at work it will be easier to No S.

The next two weeks will be an adventure. Rhinoplasty (for a deformed nose that is causing me problems...), and a tonsilechtomy today. Liquid diet for a week at least and a 10 day recovery.

We'll see how fast Ican get on the Airdyne after.

O43

Over43

Post by Over43 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:14 pm

Made it through surgery, Gatorade today, start protein shakes tomorrow I guess. I have a new nose, and no tonsills. And I did not Code Brown!

Over43

Post by Over43 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:58 am

Success! I guess...

I feel much better than I thought I would the day after rhinoplasty, septoplasty and a tonsillecthomy. I had 3 almond milk protein shakes (to cut down on the phlem I used almond milk, mixed with Whey Factor and Ovalltine), half a can of low sodium chicken noodle soup, and 16 oz. of Gatorade, plus a lot of water to stay hydrated.

The Loritab is keeping the pain way down, but I am having a lot of nasal drainage.

I might give the Airdyne a try tomorrow for 20 minutes.

All of the packing comes out Monday.

Over43

Post by Over43 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:28 am

I discovered nose splints look a bit like cuddle fish. Strange.

I a down ten pounds since the surgery. Although I would not suggest a tonsillechtomy for weight loss. It hurts like $#@^.

I thought I would be on the exercycle by now, but no.

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:08 am

Cleaned the shop which needed to be done since the taxidermist has moved out for the season.
Now *that's* not something one reads every day!

Over43

Post by Over43 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:31 pm

Who Me? wrote:
Cleaned the shop which needed to be done since the taxidermist has moved out for the season.
Now *that's* not something one reads every day!
No it's not is it? :lol:

Over43

Post by Over43 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:33 pm

Day 9 since surgery. May I suggest the no tonsill diet is not the way to go. :lol:

I still have bruises around my right eye, but my left eye didn't bruise at all.

So far today I have continued to drink ice water, some Gatorade, an Ensure for breakfast, and french toast for lunch.

My appetite is returning, but I am still a bit afraid to overdo it on the food due to the throat pain. Keep thinking I'll get on the Airdyne, but haven't made that jump yet.

Over43

Post by Over43 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:41 pm

20 minutes on the Airdyne yesterday and 25 minutes today.

Had a hard time sleeping last evening as my throat kept drying out and causing discomfort..

I think I have reacher 177 from post surgery weightloss. Need to start paying attention to what I a eating as my appetit is returning.

Monday I will be back to work part time as summer is almost over, and will start No S-ing. I will also try for 40 minutes on the Airdyne on Monday.

gk

Re: 08.04.11

Post by gk » Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:52 am

Over43 wrote:I feel much better than I thought I would the day after rhinoplasty, septoplasty and a tonsillecthomy.
Wow - sounds like you've been through quite the ordeal. Hope you are feeling well.

Oh, I'm back again, by the way. Ya just can't get rid of me. Gotta love the No S'n. :)

Over43

Re: 08.04.11

Post by Over43 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:56 am

gk wrote:
Over43 wrote:I feel much better than I thought I would the day after rhinoplasty, septoplasty and a tonsillecthomy.
Wow - sounds like you've been through quite the ordeal. Hope you are feeling well.

Oh, I'm back again, by the way. Ya just can't get rid of me. Gotta love the No S'n. :)
Glad to see you back. I jumped the gun on that post. The sugery was Wednesday, Saturday is when all the post surgery pain, discomfort, etc. Started in. Then the following Tuesday was when the antiobotic pills kicked in, and my body started to "cleanse" itself...

So, I am back from the dead, but not really dead. When the doc said this is one of the toughest surgeries a near 50 year old could go through, he was telling the truth.

I have lost some weight, but have started putting it back on. I ate when I could because one meal caused discomfortand I couldn't eat, while maybe an hour later the throat pain wasn't so bad so I would eat what I couldd.

I am not a big ice cream eater, but I would stop by DQ on the way home from work and buy a chocolate cone to sooth my throat.

I started playing golf exactly twe weeks after the operation. I probably should have waited a week, but walking 9 to 18 hholes 4-5 times a week has built up the stamina I lost. Saturday I started using my Iso 7x doing isometric exercises.

Everyone have a good evening.

Over43

Post by Over43 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:33 am

Failure

But, I did get out and walk 9 holes this evening. Actually played well until hole 9. Also used my Iso 7x this evening as well.

O.

Over43

Post by Over43 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:47 am

I didn't pay attention today, but I did play 14 holes of golf. (It got dark.) I walked every hill, gully, and fairway on that course.

Probably a Failure though aside from that.

Over43

Post by Over43 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:15 am

Failure

Starting a Super Slow weight routine todey. Will go through Thanksgiving, maybe. Still doing a lot of walking on the golf course so that isn't a concern, as far as moving around anyway.

Monday will be a new week.

Over43

Post by Over43 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:04 am

Success

Decided to make today an No S dayjust to show myself I could go down that road. Made it.

Breakfast: scrambled eggs, vegan sausag links, slice of wheat toast, orange juice.

Linch: roast beef and provolone on wheat bread, salad and an apple, Diet Coke

Dinner: Bowl of chili, two slices of sourdough bread, and a yogurt.

Exercise: walked an played 18 holes of golf.

gk

Re: 09.10.11

Post by gk » Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:48 am

Over43 wrote:Success

Decided to make today an No S dayjust to show myself I could go down that road. Made it.
Awesome.

Over43

Post by Over43 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:18 am

S Day

And was it ever. :lol:

Over43

Post by Over43 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:35 pm

Success!

I have adjusted my eating to a low glycemic approach. Which, in reality, during the week, No S really kind of does. I am more vigilant (at least today) about eating whole grains, and much fewer items with sugar in them.

We'll see how that works out. Played 11 holes tonight (got dark). Played like $#!%...

See everyone later.

Over43

Post by Over43 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:40 am

Success!

It has been a good week. I haven't tracked weight too much, but I seem to be down 3 pounds. I got my Power of 10 (Super Slow)workout in this evening and trekked around the golf course last night with a local doctor for a mile and a half+. Spent a few minutes in the dark looking for my pitching wedge I'd left lying next to a green.

I have had a bit of motivation this week. Last Friday Iwas double fisting doughnuts at work when a coworker commented, "It's a real shame to gain all that weight back you lost this summer..."

I told her I only lost it because of surgery. She reiterated what she had said and walked out of my room.

I took her word for it.

O43

Over43

Post by Over43 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:44 pm

I weighed this morning. 175 even. (Pounds)

That is he first time in a year and a half I have been at that weight.

I also talked to a local physical therapist. He is going to let me use his Nautilus Machines to do my Super Slow workouts at $3 a workout. In NYC and Malibu people are paying $100 a workout just to walk in the studio.

gk

Re: 09.20.11

Post by gk » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:05 pm

Over43 wrote:I weighed this morning. 175 even. (Pounds)

I also talked to a local physical therapist. He is going to let me use his Nautilus Machines to do my Super Slow workouts at $3 a workout. In NYC and Malibu people are paying $100 a workout just to walk in the studio.
Great job on the weight loss!! :D

$100 a workout??!? Now that's being committed to working out. :? Maybe they rely on the stress of paying their bills to add to the calorie burn???

Over43

Post by Over43 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:55 pm

Thanks!

Seem to have "stalled" a bit, but it is all good. My waist is still getting smaller as this morning I could hook the 3rd notch, although, uncomfortably.

Golfed last night. Yesterday afternoon I went to my firt Super Slow workout at a rehab center with Nautiuks machines. What a difference that was. No hoisting dumbells, etc. I feel worked today, but not sore yet. I think this is going to be a good thing.

My biggest challenge will be in a week when I go to Cailfornia to visit family. For some reason my dad thinks it is his job to sabotage people's efforts. Doesn't matter what that effort might be, he thinks he needs to put a stick in the spokes.

Over43

Re: 09.20.11

Post by Over43 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:55 am

gk wrote:
Over43 wrote:I weighed this morning. 175 even. (Pounds)

Great job on the weight loss!! :D

$100 a workout??!? Now that's being committed to working out. :? Maybe they rely on the stress of paying their bills to add to the calorie burn???
Yes. $100 a workout. Twenty minutes. If you have ever done that style of workout you'd be amazed. But $3 is much more economical than $100. Plus at he physical therapists no one looks at me funnylike they do at World Gym or Anytime Fitness.

Still 175 lbs. this morning. Had a very good S day. Juevos Rancheros for breakfast, then ribs and salad for lunch. I took my girls to see Money Ball and we all shared a large Coke and popcorn.

Dinner was 4 bites of pizza and a salad.

O43

Over43

Post by Over43 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:57 am

Success!

Weight is fluctuating up and down right. It's all good. Was down to 175 the other morning. About 177 this morning. I'll have to recheck the last few days. The weekend was a feeding frenzie. I ate Snickers nuggets Saturday night at 10 and had reflux till about 5 Sunday morning. I haven't had reflux for quite sometime either. Amazing what 4 Halloween candies can do.

The lower Glycemic approach does seem to be curbng my appetite a bit more. And, eggs for breakfast are indespensible.

I did walk on the treadmill for 20 minutes. (Still working back up to where I was before the surgery.) And, I hit the heavybag for 5 rounds.

Wednesday is my next Super Slow workout.

Over43

Post by Over43 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:29 am

Success!

Breakfast: Juevos Rancheros, orange juice, and cantelope

Lunch: A soggy turkey sandwwich, a muchy apple, and a bag of non-fried vegetable crisps. (Disgusting)

Dinner: Kielbasa (diced), pressure cooked with red potatoes, carrots, and onions.

Exercise: 20 minutes on the treadmill. 1.44 miles.

gk

Re: 09.27.11

Post by gk » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:15 am

Over43 wrote:Lunch: A soggy turkey sandwwich, a muchy apple, and a bag of non-fried vegetable crisps. (Disgusting)
Yummy. No problem with wanting to eat seconds there, eh?

Over43

Post by Over43 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:43 am

I am "successful!"

Breakfast: left over ribs, scrambled eggs, toast, orange juice

Lunch: Tuna sandwich, necatrine, a handful of Funions

Dinner: Bowl of chili, two slices of wheat bread, glass of milk

Exercise: Super Slow workout (I feel that deep tonight. But the lower back machine is spectacular!)

And no GK, seconds weren't a problem on that lunch.

Over43

Post by Over43 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:35 am

Success!

Over43

Post by Over43 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:16 pm

Success!

Although, dinner wasn't the most nutritionally sound adventure I have ever had. I was riding a but and had a protein bar, bag of kettle chips, and Gatorade for dinner. I hope my doctor never finds out.

Saturday was a pleasant S Day. I had a desert (cheese cake), and two French prunes. (Fresh)

Today, being Sunday, will be an S Day.

gk

Post by gk » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:29 am

You know, you make getting all that green look so easy. And your meals....they always seem so "controlled". I guess that's just how the pro's do it. :wink:

I hope someday to achieve that behavior (or least stop my Jenga-like dinner plates). :lol:

Over43

Post by Over43 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:03 pm

Success! Today, and the last few days, since last Friday (I guess that would be a week?) have been S Days. I have been out of town helping take care of my Grandpa. So, I just counted them as a "vacation". My parents eat a lot of food and I decided to roll with that. I have not eaten that much in a week in some time.

Over43

Post by Over43 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:38 am

S Day

Ate a lot early, then golfed from 4-7...

Over43

Post by Over43 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:12 pm

S Day

Still incredibely sore from moving my sister-in-law yesterday, plus walkng 18 holes of golf.

Over43

Post by Over43 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:24 am

Success!

Back at home, eating what I eat usually...

Breakfast: 4 scrambled eggs, sourdough toast, three vegan sausages...

Lunch: Chow Mein and Mandarin Chicken (about half the serving)

Dinner: Brautwurst on a bun, salad, a couple of pepperocinis and olives stuffed with garlic...

Sauna

Over43

Post by Over43 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:04 am

Success!

Breakfast: scrambles eggs with diced brautwurst, sourdough toast w/ homemade rasperry jam

Lunch: Peanut butter and jelly sandwich (yuk...), nectarine, almonds, and a little cup of apple sauce

Dinner: Three tacos (homemade) and Spnish rice, bottle of O'Douls.

Sauna later.

On a side note: I am going to keep checking in, but not involve myself in to much conversation on this forum, or others. I am worn out on the "this diet is stupid..." mantra. It goes for just about any diet out there. I read somewhere that "Atkins is stupid!" Then on another site, "No S is stupid...!" It's getting hard to have an intelligent conversation anymore on the WWW.

However, I won't budge on Jerry Rice being the best football player ever.

Over43

Post by Over43 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:23 am

A good day. No severe hunger between meals. And the meals went like this:

Breakfast: scrambles eggs, one brautwurst, one slice of wheat toast, orange juice.

Lunch: Left over tacos (2), Spanish rice, milk.

Dinner: roast beef, potatoes and carrots, diced tomatoes with Thousand Island, and two pepperocinis.

I have had two glasses of milk today outside of lunch.

I got my Super Slow workout in at 5:00 PM, and my wife joined me for her first workout.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:34 am

Five years ago my husband started running during his first year of retirement. He also lost a lot of weight. He had never been a runner. A year later I joined him. I had been a runner when I was younger. We now do charity runs on a regular basis as a family and have pulled my sister and niece in as well. I hope that your wife continues to work out and that the companionship is helpful.

I am still working and the weight loss has harder and slower for me than for my husband, but it is working since I found No S.
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.

Over43

Post by Over43 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:29 pm

Thank you R. Jean. We take a continuing ed class at a local university, and golf together. We have just been told she either has Rheumatoid arthritis or Lupus. (Which I might have already posted...) She needs to go in for the blood tests this week. So, we'll take it from there and get her as physically strong as possible and hope that might help counter act some of the auto-immune issues as well as deep joint pain.

Over43

Post by Over43 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:21 am

Success!

Breakfast: Sausage and egg sandwich, caffiene free, low calorie mocha. (I made it at home Swiss Miss and Sanka.)

Lunch: roast beef sandwich, tomato and cottage cheese, nectarine, Diet Mt. Dew.

Dinner: pressure cooked potatoes carrots, smoked sausage, as well as diced tomatoes with blue cheese.

No sauna or exercise, went to a college class.

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:41 am

Over43
There are a lot of things in life we stop and start
Hi, you quoted this on I think it was I don't know's..check in.

I have been struggling and beating myself up badly..and seeing that quote inspired me. I quit smoking a few times to start up again and to finally quit at least I believe I have :) I even had a 10, 7, 4 year quits..

So with that said, I'm going to realize there seems to be a lot more stops and starts with the food journey but eventually the habit with be lifetime.

p.s. sorry to hear about your knees!
Age 56: SBMI=30.6 (12/1/13) CBMI 28.9 (2/2/14) GBMI-24.8

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:47 am

Here's hoping for the best possible outcome for your wife. When I hear of people facing special challenges, I give thanks for the health I sometimes take for granted.
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.

Over43

Post by Over43 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:17 am

Success!

Thank you both!

My knees are feeling better. My wife had her labs today, so we'll wait and see what happens.

Breakfast: 3 fired eggs, two sausage links, wheat toast

Lunch: Turkey on wheat, cottage cheese and tomato, 2 tiny plums from home

Dinner: Olive Garden, 2/3's of my plate of braised beef and tortellini, salad, 1/2 a bread stick, Diet Coke.

Probably a sauna tonight, late.

Over43

Post by Over43 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:46 am

S Day

This was an "interesting" S day. I had a bowl of Special K, toast and orange juice for breakfast, and then started grazing about 10:00 AM.

I did take an early sauna after the Manchester U. - Liverpool match. I also played 12 holes of golf. (My back tightened up so I walked off the course...)

I ate 5-6 frozen Snickers small candy bars, I didn't realize how many Kc they were until I looked at the package. :lol:

I have decided to weigh Satruday mornings. This morning I was at 177 lbs. Two pounds until I re-reach my weight of a year and a half ago.

Over43

Post by Over43 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:25 pm

S Day

Over43

Post by Over43 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:44 am

Success!

Success, but a little trying. I did drink a lot of milk today. Which is great.

Breakfast: Ham and Cheese omlette, slice of toast,,Lunch: Bologna and Cotto Salami Sandwich, 1/2 cup of tomatoes and avacado, a very tiny- tart apple, Diet Coke

Dinner: Colombian pot roast, whole wheat noodles, salad

Will probably finish up this evening reading The Fellowship of the Ring.

Over43

Post by Over43 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:22 am

Success!

Breakfast: eggs scrambled with ham and cheese, hashbrowns, orange juice

Lunch: Chicken Salad sandwich, half a banana, about 1/4 cup of cottage cheese, Diet Mountain Dew

Dinner: Hamburger stroganoff, salad, greenbeans, slice of bread.

I got my Super Slow workout in this afternoon (about 4:30).

Bloody Mary later on...

Over43

Post by Over43 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:55 am

Success!

Parent teacher conference...Yeah!

breakfast: 4 eggs scrambles, 3 vegan sausages, toast, low calorie mocha thing I make at home.

Lunch: Salami and Bologna sandwich, sandwich bag of kettle chips, apple, Vit D milk.

Dinner: Chicken Salad on croussant (3 of them), fruit

Watching the last 5 innings of the W.S.

Over43

Post by Over43 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:16 am

Success!

Today was parent teacher conferences again. Three meals, although I did alter dinner in the middle. We got teryaki chicken from the PTO(A) and I loaded up the plate with rice, so half way through I ditched mot the rice and replaced it with chicken, I was one plate.

Breakfast: eggs, hashbrowns, fake sausage.

Lunch: bologna, cotto salami on wheat, sandwich bag full of kettle chips, an apple.

Dinner: Teryaki chicken on rice, fruit.

Sat on me arse for about 8 hours oday helping students make up work and parent teacher conferences.
Last edited by Over43 on Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Over43

Post by Over43 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:10 am

Success!

Breakfast: juevos rancheros

Lunch: Left over stroganoff, salad, 3-4 grades, 3-4 chips

Dinner: corned beff, potatoes, carrots

Weigh tomorrow.

Over43

10.22-23.11

Post by Over43 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:02 pm

S Days today and tomorrow.

Weighed 176.5 pounds this morning at 8:00 AM.

Looks like a good day to golf.

Over43

Post by Over43 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:39 am

Success!

Breakfast: Sausage and Egg Sandwich, milk

Lunch: Bologna and Salami on wheat, 1/2 a bag of Funions, a small apple, about 10 almonds

Dinner: Salad w/ Thousand Island, sauted chicken tenders (not breaded) on rice with peanut sauce and Vietnamese chili sauce

Workout tomorrow.

Over43

Post by Over43 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:31 pm

Success!

Breakfast: One egg over fried potatoes, 3 sausage links, orange juice and a small homemade mocha.

Lunch: A bologna and salami on sourdough, a 1/4 bag of Funions, a yogurt, and an apple. (The yogurt and apple help digestion...)

Dinner: Beef stew (in a bowl) and a large slice of sourdough.

My workout will actually be tomorrow. Lucky me!

O43

Over43

Post by Over43 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:10 am

Success!

Breakfast: Two McDonald's little burrito meal w/ orange juice.

Lunch: (I have to start making lunch a little more palatable.) Bologna and Salami on wheat, a sandwich bag of chips, an apple.

Dinner: (This wasn't very healthy...) Tyson breaded chicken tenders, Stove Top Stuffing, and a salad.

Worked out at the Rehab Center and got in what still feels like a tremendous Super Slow workout; even two hours later.

I will probably take a sauna.
Last edited by Over43 on Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Over43

Post by Over43 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:53 am

Success!

Breakfast: scrambled eggs, two slices of bacon, toast

Lunch: turkey on cracked wheat, apple, two crackers, 4 pieces of cheese.

Dinner: Chicken and potatoes with onion gravy, salad, slice of bread

Was going to take a sauna, but am watching the World Series instead.

gk

Post by gk » Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:17 am

Your continuous Successes amaze me. What's your secret? What do you think is the "key thing" that makes you stay on track???

Over43

Post by Over43 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:49 am

Well GK, I eat eggs for breakfast, seems to keep me full throughout the day. I guess I'm on a role right now.

Today was an S Day. I knew I would be spending the evening watching TCU trounce BYU at a friend's house, so I took today "off". A Coke, chips and and an incredible dip.

Plus an extra serving of noodles with gravy.

Might make tomorrow a No S day, we'll see. I have two free McRib coupons.

Over43

Post by Over43 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:42 am

Success!

I am being inspired to stay on task tonight watching the USC Song Leaders on ABC in the Stanford/USC game. :lol:

Breakfast: 3 scrambled eggs, 3 slices of bacon, slice of toast.

Lunch: Bologna/Salami on cracked wheat, apple, almonds

Dinner: Pressure cooked chili, over an omlette on a tortilla. (Very filling)

Sunday: S Day

Over43

Post by Over43 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:26 pm

Success!

Breakfast: Protein shake blended with a banana.

Lunch: Salami and ham on cracked wheat, a sting cheese thing, almonds, pepperoccinis.

Dinner: roast, mashed potatoes, carrots, milk.

Will take a sauna tonight.

Happy Halloween!

Over43

How did I do 21 days???

Post by Over43 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:55 pm

GK,

You asked a good question, how am I getting so much green?

I have been thinking about that the last few days.

For some reason I am particularly focused right now. Don't know why, but at work, at home, and eating, I am focused. Three meals a day keeps me full, satisfied, and happy.

I joked about eggs, but a substantial breakfast seems to help with the whole day. (I have quit drinking low calorie mochas.)

Other meals: I try to not worry about the caloric make up of what I eat. I may have bologna and salami at lunch, but I also eat apples, nectarines, etc. A sandwich bag of chips is quite small, but add some pleasure to lunch for me. (Not that I eat chips everyday...)

In the last month I have eaten out twice; once with my parents (Vietnamese) and once a breakfast at Mickey Dee's with my twins. I'm not sure eating out to much doesn't promote more eating.

Exercise: I have cut way back on exercise, but what I have lost in volume, I believe I have made up in intensity. I continue to grow stronger week to week, so I know the Super Slow training works in he strength department. Also, if I am gaining muscle, than theoretically I am burning more calories. And personally I do feel a need to eat more when I exercise more. (Aerobically)

Less TV: For whatever reason I am spending much less time in front of the TV. And, more TV time I assume means more calories. I am reading, taking saunas, playing online bridge, etc. I guess a change of one behavior has affected a second behavior.

Just some thoughts.

gk

Post by gk » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:17 am

Liked your post - thanks.

Those are all very good habits that you've achieved. You've done so well for so long, it sounds as though it has become second nature to you. I've read that before on other posts......people suddenly realize that they are sticking to No S and other healthy habits and aren't even trying to. To me, that is reaching the finish line.

I'm sure you are feeling very focused in every aspect of your life because you are taking good care of yourself with diet and exercise. It does make a difference, doesn't it?

Keep up the great work. You give the rest of us hope that this is actually achievable.....that this won't always feel like "work". :)

Over43

Post by Over43 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:25 am

Well...today was a Failure. That's the way it goes. I think I had 24 straight days, so I guess one was bound to happen. I think I am going to start for another 21 straight tomorrow, and that should take me right into Thanksgiving.

I do have a virus that has been kicking me arse. Maybe that was part of today's feeding frenzy.

Anyway, off we go for round II. I am heading for the gym tomorrow evening.

O43

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:27 am

Get right back to "work." That's what successful maintainers say made the difference for them when they finally lost weight after many failures. The slip up did not become an excuse for more eating. You've done so well!
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Over43

Post by Over43 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:37 pm

Success!

Today was good. Three meals, I did drink a lot of milk, but that better than nailing a bowl of Snickers Nuggets.

Missed my workout because I got to the rehab center late and they were just closing. I'll get there tomorrow.

Breakfast: An Aunt Jemima Bacon and Scrambled Egg breakfast, milk.

Lunch: Tuna Sandwich, a little cup of fruit, an apple, cheese stick.

Dinner: Scrambled eggs on a crepe, two slices of Welsh Rarebit, half an apple, milk.

Sauna? Maybe...

Over43

Post by Over43 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:53 pm

Success!

I think I am confident enough now to post successes earlier in the evening, though I haven't had dinner yet.

And I am honest enough to change it if I need to.

Breakfast: scrambled eggs, fake sausage, toast

Lunch: ham on cracked wheat, apple, fruit cup, milk

Dinner: Tri-tip, mashed potatoes, greenbeans

Workout: 20 minute SuperSlow workout

Possible sauna after college class.

O43

Over43

11.4/5/6.11

Post by Over43 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:22 pm

Friday was a failure, we went to dinner at a BBQ place and my one plate of food turned into 2 1/2. I didn't know I could still eat that much in one sitting. But, there is something to be said for a honey BBQ sauce on pork.

Saturday and Sunday: S days

O43

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:58 am

Restaurants and their unending supply do make it tougher. Good luck this week.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Over43

Post by Over43 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:11 am

I hav been hitting glitches the last couple of days. I need to circle the wagons and get back on track...

O43

Over43

Post by Over43 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:52 pm

I have not been posting lately, I have been busy, and truthfully, have not been paying much attention to my caloric intake. It must be lower since I weighed 172 this morning, which is the least I have weighed in about a year and a half.

I am continuing my SuperSlow workouts on the Nautilus machines once a week and am continuing getting stronger while losing body fat/weight.

I'll post again maybe tomorrow.

O43

Over43

Post by Over43 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:58 am

S Day :D

Over43

Post by Over43 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:58 am

S Day :D

Over43

Post by Over43 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:13 pm

It has been a snack-fest this week. I found out the Tuesday before Thanksgiving that I am being transfered to a new school. So, I have been a bit stressed, which has translated into some serious eating. I am starting to feel a bit better about it now, and my stress levels are getting better.

Over43

Post by Over43 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:49 am

Success

Breakfast: McDonald's little burritos, 1/2 a hash brown, a few sips of orange juice

Lunch: turkey sandwich, couple of chips, spinach dip on tiny sourdough rounds, sliced bell pepper.

Dinner: Chicken breast and pene blasted in the pressure cooker w/ tomato sauce, and salad.

Over43

Post by Over43 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:35 am

Success!

Breakfast: scrambled eggs, bacon, toast, orange juice

Lunch: Bacon Sandwich, yogurt, tortilla chips, Coke 0

Dinner: McAngus Burger, 3/4 of a medium chocolate shake

1/4 tumbler of Scotch

Over43

Post by Over43 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:31 am

Success!

Nice day:

Breakfast: Egg burrito and an orange juice (home made)

Lunch: left over chicken andpenne with tomato sauce

Dinner: Ribs blasted in the pressure cooker, sliced tomatoes, milk

Super Slow workout (It took me 16:07 seconds to complete...)

Over43

Post by Over43 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:49 am

Success!

Breakfast: abowl of Wheaties, glass of orange juice, a slice of toast with no sugar jam

Lunch: A Jimmy John's Italian Sub, Coke Zero

Dinner: Swiss steak, whole wheat egg noodles, salad, glass of milk.

gk

Re: 12.07.2011

Post by gk » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:39 pm

Over43 wrote:Super Slow workout (It took me 16:07 seconds to complete...)
Been wondering.....what exactly is a "Super Slow Workout"?

Over43

Dec 8, 9, 10, 2011

Post by Over43 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:29 pm

Friday Success!

Saturday
Sunday

S Days

Over43

Post by Over43 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:56 am

Monday Success!

Tuesday Failure

The bean dip and chips at work, that started it, and then...Coca Cola...it's delicious though. Now my gall bladder hurts.

gk

Post by gk » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:13 pm

Thanks for stopping by my check-in. Interesting info about the workout.

Your wife sounds like she's made it through many huge ordeals. Sounds like she is quite the fighter. Glad to hear she is having success with this type of strength training.

It's nice that you two are working out together - good support system you have going on there. :)

Over43

Post by Over43 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:05 am

I have been ain a free fall the last week or so. I started a new position at work, which I didn't want to do, but was given no option. So, I am now teaching at the alternative h.s. The reason? Well, I was not caught smoking in the staff bathroom. I was told I was good at what I do, and I was needed there. Let that be a lesson to all of you. Let mediocrity be your guide.

I did get my workout in this week with my wife. It is the one thing I look forward to right now.

gk

Post by gk » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:54 am

How's it going? Maybe work will be better upon your return after the holiday break? Fresh start and all that?? Hang in there!