How did this happen??

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

la_loser

Keep No S in plain sight!

Post by la_loser » Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:33 pm

Love the idea about the journal and "role-playing" the responses. Another idea to keep the "support" coming while you're gone. If you have an iPod or other such thing, download all of Reinhard's podcasts (either from this site or free from iTunes) and listen to them when you're out for a walk or traveling from one place to another. And certainly take the book along if you've purchased it and if you haven't print the main concepts of the No S plan from this site; printed, it makes a nice little booklet to serve as reminders of lots of little things.

To keep No S in plain sight, I had printed a jpg of the logo and stuck it in my wallet ID compartment. Now I have the logo as the screensaver on my iPod Touch so every time I start to use it, I have to SEE that logo. It's like Reinhard's voice is calling out to me. :)

Have a lovely holiday.
LA Loser. . . well on my way to becoming an LA Winner. :lol:

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:35 pm

Grammy - I know what you mean. If I didn't post daily then I would give complete control to :evil: . I'm hoping that one day the habits I'm building will be so ingrained that I won't need the support, but until then I need the public accountability and encouragement.
Also - I love to read your posts and I know I'm not alone. You give just as much support as you receive and for that very selfish reason I hope you do manage to post every day. You are definitely missed when you are not around. :D

Scrybil

Post by Scrybil » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:04 am

Starla - oolala - LALoser - what great advice and wise feedback!
And idk is right - we really miss your wisdom when you're not here!

This IS a wonderful place. But it's much like exercise - it's that first step out the door to walk that's the hardest...so the hardest part is STOPPING what we're doing and going to the place where we know we're going to get support.

Can you find a method to send up the proverbial flare? A quick signal to yourself (rubber band on the wrist, somekind of physical touchpoint) to remind yourself that you are not alone - nor powerless - in your struggles?

And can you share it with ME? lol
~Scrybil~

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:41 am

Hope your vacation goes well. But mind that eating, missy! We'll be watching! (Reporting does make a difference, doesn't it?)

Selfishly, I'm glad to see you around. ;)

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:49 am

I am almost teary eyed after reading all your posts. I can't say thank you enough!! isn't it strange that in a moment of crisis we can't think (or at least I can't) for myself. Of course taking the book makes sense :roll: ..and I DO have logos printed out and am going to put one in my eyeglass case. when I switch from sunglasses to reg specs (as when entering a restaurant..) I will be reminded of no-S! Sorry to say, no ipod (!) but that can be remedied by calling son in Ca and telling him to pick one up for me and have it ready to go when I get there... something I've been thinking about doing anyhow.
I LOVE the journal idea! I probably won't be "channeling" on the grand scale of Scrybil, but I may call on Bill Clinton (he is good at getting himself out of jams and look at all the weight he lost!) and Elinor Roosevelt(she was her own person!!) once in awhile! I'd give Willie Nelson a shout out but he'd just lead me down the path of smoke and haze, I'm afraid!
I will check in as often as I can because I now realize how much I still need this support! I think my reminder that I am not alone will be that no-S logo I will carry and i think i will choose a bracelet to wear that will remind me that you are all there. I have one in mind that is fairly simple but has many small different colored gemstones in silver settings. I am going to put it on right now and just not take it off..OK..it is onll looks good ..feels good..it will work.. you are all now officially going to CA with me!!
I am off to do my packing. Anyone want to wager when hubby and I will have "The Packing" argument? We both, naturally, are sure our way is the only way and the best way. I may just bite my tongue and let him pack for the sake of peace. ..and that would be one less thing for me to worry about!
Yep..I'm going to pack my suitcase, put it and other things that need to go with us by the door and walk away and ..maybe read a book!! sounds like a plan.. I will let you know how that worked tonight! :wink:
"If you realized how powerful your thoughts are, you would never think another negative thought."
Peace Pilgrim

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:37 pm

Oh gosh, Grammy, just thinking of Bill Clinton actually being able to curb his appetite has got to be motivation! I usually don't subscribe to the idea "If I can do it, anyone can do it," but Lordy, if I can't rein it in on food when Clinton can, I've just got to take another look! I swear I'm going to remember that this weekend.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Scrybil

Post by Scrybil » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:07 am

OH MY word! Bill Clinton, Eleanor Roosevelt and Willie Nelson all in one post! How did you DO that???

You crack me up Grammy! If I'm channeling while you're gone, I'm going to visualize Eleanor in hat & gloves sipping tea serenely, Willie ordering a tofu shake for the munchies, and Bill passing up beef for a veggie burger!
Last edited by Scrybil on Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Scrybil~

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:49 am

LOL ! I'm seeing Bill, Ellie, and Willie sittin' on the porch during a hot summer evening and just rockin' and talkin"! I'm sure they will come in handy!
We are ta-da packed up!! No major shouting.. even went out for dinner in a peaceful mode!! Life is good!
I am still wearing my bracelet..journal is in my purse...logo in my eye glass case..book in my overnight bag :) I am prepared for the vacation battle!
Hoping to get out of here about 6:30 AM and arrive at our friend's home about 5:30pm. We will be spending our 34th wedding anniversary with them..my goodness...can't believe it has been that long!! (i was in a bad marriage for about 12 years and those years seemed to last forever. ) I guess it is true..time does fly when you are having fun!
OK..I am about ready to unplug and disconnect the wifi....
:shock: I can do this..I can do this...I can do this I can do this... I can do this :shock: :shock: :shock:
"If you realized how powerful your thoughts are, you would never think another negative thought."
Peace Pilgrim

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:24 am

You CAN do this! :)

Remember to ENJOY every bite you take. If you don't, why bother? (And enjoy all the time with good friends too!)

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:36 am

Woo HOO :D ..I AM doing this! So far, so good.. thanks to all the suggestions! i am now in CA... did Lodi wine country today.. have seen some of the most beautiful scenery on earth this last week! I gotta tell you, the eating part of this trip has been easy! I am wearing my bracelet to remind me to "be mindful" and, instead of writing a dialog with anyone..I have a conversation in my head while I am on driving duty..that is several hours a day (we tend to go about 560 miles or more a day). I am keepng a little notebook of my meals and giving myself a star sticker whenever i have a good day..so far all stars!!. We have been sharing meals and ordering an extra salad and I just plain quit when I am full. So thank you for your help!! I am not having a lot of spare time to write and just wanted you all to know that things are going great and I am a happy traveler!! :D
Peace Pilgrim

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:04 pm

Excellent news Grammy - you are a star!! :D

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:13 am

Things(read food issues) are still A-OK!! we are now in Twin Falls idaho..having driven from CA today.. on our way to take granddaughter to MT.
Should arrive tomorrow afternoon.
I cannot tell you how much all your suggestions have helped! i am carrying THE book with me but never have opened it. haven't needed to!!
Am using all other suggestions and am just a happy no-S er!
more, i hope, in a few days!!
Peace Pilgrim

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:19 am

We are finally H-O-M-E!!! What a trip!! We put almost 7,000 miles between "begin here" and "home at last"! We went west making stops to visit friends and family and see a few things we had missed on previous trips... Arches NP.. Bill Cody's grave (don't ask who needed to see this!!).. replayed a few places we hadn't seen in awhile..Tahoe..San Francisco.. Sanoma... and got to our favorite places..Glacier NP and Missoula MT to just hang out a few days and chill. We left Missoula, Mt. at 5AM on Sunday and were back in our little town near Pitttsburgh, PA at 5PM on Tuesday.. Whew!! Now have everything in order and Monday will begin a normal week. Whew once again!
I can't begin to tell you how helpful all your suggestions were! i wore my designated "no-S" bracelet every day! Seeing it on my wrist really made me feel in control of my eating... how silly is that? My "conversations" in my head while I was driving were wonderful! I got a lot of help from many famous people. I am going to keep my no-S logo in my glasses case.. a good reminder when I change from sun glasses to my regular specs that no-S is possible everywhere. I did carry a little notebook and wrote down my daily meals. Each day, I wrote "Be Mindful of what you eat!" at the top of the page and each evening I would give myself a little star sticker on that page if I had a good day. (I taped a little packet of stars to the front cover of the notebook) I only had ONE day with no star!!
:D I did mention that I carried the book with me but never had to get it out to read :D SEE what I mean..YOU were sooooo helpful!!
So..here is the good news...I came home over 3 pounds lighter! hubby is lamenting: he gained 9 pounds!!
I really did enjoy my meals but quit when I was full and I didn't snack or eat desserts...but I didn't feel deprived of anything.
I hope I can help you as much as you've helped me. :D
Peace Pilgrim

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:27 am

OM gosh, I gained those pounds you lost! You've been on vacation and I've been working but eating like I'm on a vacation from No S. New day tomorrow. Remind me what that bracelet is like. Maybe I should try something like that. Congrats on your success and thank you for keeping on trucking so that we can have hope, too.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Scrybil

Post by Scrybil » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:00 am

Wow Grammy - that's GREAT~ Welcome back - we missed you!

(and I l-o-v-e Glacier -so gorgeous!)
~Scrybil~

Scrybil

Post by Scrybil » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:14 am

I'm missing you Grammy - you ok?
~Scrybil~

Grammy G

still here!

Post by Grammy G » Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:36 am

Oh my... how time flies... Has is been years and years since I posted? :oops: I just took some time to take a look at what was going on at NO S and went back to read the whole kit-abd-kaboodle of the"summer reading" topic I started...and it was so much fun!
I am still doing my dance around sticking to NoS..hubby still sticking to it and staying at the weight he wants to be..
Life is good.. time marches on.
Peace Pilgrim

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:41 am

I know I've seen you post on other threads since 2010. How wonderful of you to visit! We're a staunch little group out of the millions attempting changes. I trust your attempts are close to the mark. Good for hubby!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:43 am

P.S. what was the summer reading topic?
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Grammy G

summer reads

Post by Grammy G » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:59 pm

I agree..I have been back here since 2010! This just happened to be the first thing I came across on my not-so-scientific search.
The "summer reads" is on the Off Topic page. There are many good reads there and it is interesting to see the comments of those of us who read the same books.
I am "close but no cigar" (bet very few people know what that means)to being as good at No Sing as hubby. I plate meals for us when I cook. I love arranging food nicely on plates and serving it. My downfall is that I, as the cook and server, know where the left-overs are!
I am also very good at creatively talking myself into or out of most situations. Not too long ago, I had planned to have fish for dinner.. I got a sudden craving for meatloaf. I was talking myself out of driving to the catering shop and buying a prepared meatloaf..and my mind jumped to a new argument.: I could walk to the grocery store..less than 1/2 mile away.. and I would be getting exercise as well as a meatloaf! Luckily, I caught myself changing arguments before I headed out the door and we had a very nice fish dinner...and I still haven't made a meatloaf. Craving gone. javascript:(':roll:') Lesson, I hope, learned.
Peace Pilgrim

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:34 am

I know what no cigar means... you were doing so well on that 7,000 mile vacation you took back in 2010. What stalwart drivers you were!

Not sure the meat loaf would have been such a bad idea, but I guess it's the "principality" of the thing. Not getting whipped around by food.

I had to talk myself out of several items-really just out of eating them on the way home,- when shopping time hit close to dinner, which rarely happens.

What's it like to be someone who forgets about food?
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Merry

Post by Merry » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:20 am

I know the phrase close but no cigar too!
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation