Sonya's checkin

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:50 pm

Tuesday: N day...
Had a nice cup of coffee out with a friend, and was only minimally tempted by snack items set out on a buffet table.
Ate a late breakfast, and pushed all my meals later, which seems to work for me, rather than skipping a meal and still trying to stick to single plates!
B: orange/grapefruit segments, fried tofu, coffee
mid am: coffee w/milk
L: Salad w/ hard boiled egg and cottage cheese, sauteed veggies in Italian seasoning.
S: Salad with nut cheese, sauteed veggies in soy sauce
-Sonya
No Sweets, No Snacks and No Seconds, Except (Sometimes) on days that start with "S".

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:50 pm

Well, here I am wondering yet again about going away from the 2 S day per week mod. What about Taking full S days on Sundays and then S events during the week ONLY when in a social situation? I'm thinking about this. Monday I just had a snack on my S day, and then today I had a small sweet. I don't like counting that as a fail, as I could easily have eaten much more than that on one S day.
Later in the week I have lunch at a friend's house, where I may eat a sweet if it's served, and a wedding on Sunday, where I might eat a piece of cake. All of these extra events would just about add up to a normal S day's intake for me. Not sure what to do.
-Sonya
No Sweets, No Snacks and No Seconds, Except (Sometimes) on days that start with "S".

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:31 pm

The point is not what we eat on any S day but limiting the number of times we allow random eating. For most people, the more times they eat, the more they overeat in total. I haven't read your whole thread, but I get the sense you've changed gears a lot. I've been at this 17 months and I'm just now getting my S days relatively sane. I tell ya, I won't be taking chances on eating sweets during the week for quite awhile, if ever. For me, the problem with sweets is that on a continuing basis, i would not trade them for other food, so I would be eating them in addition to what else I ate. They are so concentrated in calories that it is easy to eat more than I need without overwhelming my appetite.

Just my two cents. I hope you find your right ratio soon.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:27 pm

Thanks, Oolala... you are giving me a very sane and sensable perspective. My head agrees with you 100%. The inner 2 year old doesn't want any part of being told "No"!!!! Thanks for sharing. I know you are right. I have changed gears A LOT, and it is tiring!
Thurs: Nice N day, managed to skip some tired looking doughnuts at coffee break... not a foregone conlclusion!!

B: Canteloupe, nut cheese
late morning: black coffee- yea!
L: Falafel patties (soy based), stirr fried cabbage and onion
S: Salad, cottage cheese, stirr fried zucchini
-Sonya

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:50 am

Friday was the strangest N day.
I was invited to 2 different places, for lunch and supper.
Lunch: Traditional Norwegian meal
2 meatballs, 2 med boiled potatoes w/gravy, 1/3 c carrote, 1/2 c raw veg salad (all fit nicely on one plate)
Supper: Potato bar
3x 2 1/2" baked potatoes, ham/bacon/cheese topping, salad with ranch dressing, grapes/bananas with creamed cheese
(again, a full plate of food)
Both meals felt like a lot of heavy food, and both single plates were at the same time very tasty (a little too salty) and not satisfying. I felt like I "overate" and at the same time could have eaten twice that amount. Weird. I think it's the trap of "highly palatable foods". I'm just as happy to get back to my own cooking today. I feel much better and more satisfied on fewer calories of less salty, delicious food. I can't decide if I over did it yesterday or under did it!! I guess I'll call it just right, since it was single plates of food for my meals, but I sure am more used to lighter food, or REALLY pigging out when it's that type of food.
Last edited by osoniye on Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Sonya

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:21 pm

Sat was an N day... I ate a late breakfast at 11a, and then lunch at 3 and supper at 6:30. All meals were light and fine. Watched 2 DVD's but didn't even consider popcorn. All's well.

Today, Sunday, is just sort of a run of the mill N day for me.
I ate toast w/jam and pb for breakfast, ate a plate of hors d'euvres at a wedding reception for a very late lunch, and didn't stay for the cake, so no temptation there. Not much in the fridge but veggies, eggs and some cooked soy beans, so I don't think I'm in much danger tonight.
Glad to be doing floating S days, because today was busy, but there weren't any great food opportunities!
-Sonya

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:12 am

Well, I had nut cheese and mixed fruit salad for breakfast.
All I have in the fridge right now is some raw tomatoes and carrots and some uncooked cabbage and some soy beans and eggs. I will divide that between by 2 remaining plated meals and call it a day. I am traveling tonight on an overseas flight, so will probably be a bit off in the timing of meals and such, but plan to eat whatever I'm served along the way and call it good, pick up in new time zone when I arrive, either with a late dinner, or wait till breakfast.
I leave Africa in late evening and arrive to the east coast US evening local time the next day. I do hate jet lag, but find black coffee gives a lot of help!
-Sonya

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:20 pm

Hi, I'm back. I had a long grueling trip to the US from Africa, due to the lesser known volcanic erruption that spewed ash over the Red Sea from Eritrea! I took S days for the trip, as my eating was on a schedule dictated by what I could get out of the airlines!
The weekend involved a family reunion, and a church brunch for Father's Day, at which I tried to avoid sweets and mostly stuck to one plate. There were 2 salty snacks in evenings, so I'm back on an N day today.
Today was:
B: fruit and cottage cheese
L: BIG salad w/chicken, 1/2 banana
S: Bean soup and a slice of whole grain bread

I read "The end of overeating" yesterday. A great read, and generally supportive of NoS principles!
-Sonya

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:28 pm

Tuesday went OK. I've been trying to eat soup for one meal per day with a grain product, but find myself adding a fruit, or extra meat or something, as the soup acts as an "appetizer" rather than being filling. Maybe I need to blend it or make it richer. It's all what would fit on one plate, though, virtual.
Today, I had a grand fail, over a pizza at lunch, and am going to just "mark it and move on"!
-Sonya

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:12 pm

Today went better.
B: Peaches, cheese, 1 slice bacon, 1 slice bologna
L: Sm bowl soup, large salad, 4 oz flank steak w/1 slice bacon
(walked past candy aisle during a sale, patting myself on the back...)
S: Roast, carrots and other random veggies, green peas.
-Sonya

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:58 pm

Sunday was an S day... I was invited to some friends house for a cookout. A "no seconds" family, as it turned out. It was so strange- there were 5 teenagers present and 5 adults. There were enough hamburgers for each person to have one, same with potatoes, a modest bowl of salad, pan of baked beans, and sliced watermellon. Dessert was one brownie served by the hostess and a scoop of ice cream served by the host. The hot food was served on an island in the kitchen, and we ate in the dining room. It was the perfect set-up for not overeating, and only 1 guest dived back into the kitchen when the hostess murmured something about did everyone get enough. It was so strange to be at a cookout, comfortably full, and psychologically unsettled by the craving to be overstuffed. It was an S day afterall!!! I really have an unhealthy mental need to get really full at such social events. It was probably good just to sit and muse over my feelings.
Today, N day, I had a late lunch of chicken fricasee and biscuits with peas. Tasty, but not filling. I'm trying to hold on till an early dinner.
-Sonya

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:52 pm

That family dinner experience can become the norm. It is just a habit to pair overeating with celebration and gatherings. They really can be just as fun with a little more than enough or even just enough!

Hope you get/got to dinner!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:52 am

Thanks, oolala- yeah, I look forward to the day, but it seems it will be long in coming before not overeating at "special" times becomes "normal".
I ran across a copy of the Carbo-Calorie diet, from the 70's. I read it and like it... it seems like a reasonable compromise between low cal and low carb diets, ie., it sort of curbs excess in either category. I'm trying to eat 100 carbocalories divided amongst 3 meals on N days... not as a law, but as a guideline, and only on the days I actually enjoy punching in the figures on a spreadsheet... which is so far, a week or so.
My last S day, I ate 4 pieces of pizza for supper and had a rough night... antacids, etc. I guess part of not wanting to give up overeating is not wanting to admit my age... a younger person (which is how I view myself) could easily get away with that! So maybe next time I'll try 3 pieces if it's at supper and work my way down, or try doing pizza at lunch. Alas...
-Sonya

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:19 pm

The 100 Carbo-calores thing went well for the rest of the week. I have tried sticking to meals with a special treat for my 2 S days this weekend. That meant wedding cake on Sat., and a pastry after lunch Sun. Hard to predict how the week will unfold, as I have several lunch dates this week, but should be able to keep it to a plate.
-Sonya

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:48 am

Tues was a RED day. Ugh. I think I ate breakfast too early, to have it before an early meeting. That meant an early lunch and then instead of being clever and preparing supper early, I turned to candy. I was under a lot of stress with work and family issues, so it seemed a combination of real hunger, which I can often ignore, and emotional hunger. Bad combination. Luckily, Wed is a planned S day, so I can just let go of all the candy I ate after breakfast. I do hope tomorrow is "back to normal".
-Sonya

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:57 am

Better day today. I virtual plated breakfast, but didn't overdo it, and ate a reasonable and healthy lunch. I had pigged out last night, on a designated S day, so I think I broke that huger/craving cycle of the past 2 days. Hope I can stay on track now.
-Sonya

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:00 am

Thurs turned out red again... I got a real bad stomach ache in the afternoon, and ate some candy, not that it helped, but it was just what I wanted. Anyway, today is so far so good. I am committing here and now to stick to the remaining 2 meals and not eat sweets or snacks or seconds today, no matter what. I have a nice thermos of herbal tea steeping as I type.
-Sonya

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:53 am

Hope you're gearing up for the last half of the month.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:04 pm

Thanks oolala!!
I have been traveling for work and just got back yesterday. Away from home is much easier as I don't have my candy stash to worry about. I ate a pretty steady diet of B=Optomized oatmeal, L=cheese or tuna sdw on brown bread, tomato+carrot, S=More brown bread and 1/2 oz almonds. I ate out a few times, chicken or ground beef or personal sized pizza. Probably more food than I needed on the pizza, but it fit on a plate.
I took an S day on Friday as I traveled back and had a piece of cake and a scoop of ice cream at a cafe for supper! Today is an N day, and going well. I ate a lite lunch, and thus an early supper, but nothing extra and no sweets. I'm thinking putting my candy stash into a big bag and shoving it into the back of the closet. It's too tempting on N days!!
-Sonya

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:27 pm

How about in the garage? But then you might find a reason to clean out the garage...
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:36 am

:D oolala!! I would worry about mice! If I can't have my candy, I don't want anyone else (small and furry) to.
Things are going OK. I have managed to stay away from sweets on N days, and am happy about that.
I am finding, and I know this is NOT profound, that if I'm going to lose wt., plates of food need a little white space on them if they're holding dense food, like pasta, but can really overflow with salads, veggies, light proteins, etc. If I keep this balance, I do OK and can feel my waistband loosening. But alas, I'm hungry a lot of the time between meals this way.
-Sonya

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:59 pm

It's been going really well keeping to around 100 carbo-calories on N days and having 2 full floating S days per week, plus and extra 2 per month if needed. I feel like I'm finally into a set of habits that are sustainable, and my clothes are fitting looser. I'm hungry a lot between meals, but I think that is something I'll have to live with if I'm going to be a lighter weight!
-Sonya

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:30 pm

Sat was a red day, as I ate a cookie without realizing it!! A friend bought a new kind and I was dieing to try it, and lo and behold, it was down the hatch. Otherwise it was an N day.
Had a kind of out of control S day on Sunday, but I'm accepting that.
Today, back on track. I have a bad cold and it's hard not to indulge in food to feel better!!
-Sonya

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:29 am

Broke down and took an S, as in Sick day on Tues. I think the body needs a little more fuel when fighting a cold, so indulged a bit. Not sure about today, keeping in N until/unless I really think my body is telling me to do otherwise.
-Sonya

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:35 pm

I am getting over a cold also and have also learned to listen to my body and eat more during a cold. If I try to curb the cravings during a cold I end up overeating later. This is the second post today that left me thinking how great it is to be listening to what my body needs and eating accordingly. Thus was definitely not true in the past.
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:27 am

Hi, r, thanks for stopping by. Yeah, I like the idea of listening to our bodies, not trying some mysterious "stomach growl" thing, but just using common sense and doing what seems best both in mind and for health.
I'm still not feeling too well, but am back on 3 meals a day until further notice. I have some leftovers to use up before travel on Tues., so think it will make up some reasonably healthy and nutritious meals.
-Sonya

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:55 am

Just passing the point of 1 week on this cold. I'd like it to be over. Things are going well on the 3 meals/day, and I'm working my way through the fridge. Some combinations might not please everybody, but they work for me, and I'm sticking to a plate.
-Sonya

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:41 am

OK, the last day before travel for work. I've had my 1 plate "veg hash" for breakfast, and plan that I will virtual plate for supper, but that's OK because of an event. I hope the trip will go well for NoS. Travel often does for me. Things are more clearly defined, and I don't have access to so much (sweet stuff). I'll be back on the 30th.
-Sonya

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:32 am

Well, back from trip and caught ANOTHER cold on the way back. So, I've taken an extra S day for sick and had some ice cream yesterday, just 1 scoop. I think I lost a couple pounds on the trip, did a lot more low-fat cottage cheese and less provalone than I sometimes do for packed lunches, and avoided eating out during the weeks. One weekend was a little out of control, but that's OK.
Today I'm back to 3 meals, NoS.
-Sonya

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:16 pm

Wel, this cold is playing right into my weightloss hands, as I have nearly no appetite! I'm sure that will rebound, but I'll enjoy it while I can. I'm trying to eat healthy fruits/veg and tofu or fish.
-Sonya

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:13 pm

Let's hope we all conquer our colds!

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:09 am

Yes, WhoMe, here's hoping!!
So, I still have the cold and that has lessened my appetite, but I posted a question about hunger, since that was a huge struggle while I was healthy and traveling. And I will be traveling again soonish so am eager to hear good ideas about appetite control. Right now, I'm still eating light and enjoying that the hunger has taken a little vacation.
-Sonya

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:10 pm

I hope you feel better soon and can ease back into moderate eating.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:52 am

Thanks oolala!
Feeling a bit better but not energetic yet!!
Trying something new, which is an Average of 100 Carbo-calories per day rather than using that as an N day limit. Makes the S days that are a little wild result in lighter salad like meals during the week, which is not a bad thing. Trying not to go extreme on this, as I'm still a little bit sick, so had a nice meal of rice noodle and tofu stir fry for breakfast this morning.
-Sonya

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:38 am

Doing OK. I've switched from counting carbs to counting calories... don't think it matters so much WHAT I'm counting, as long as I try to balance the whole week by some measurement. I think the basic idea is that I can either eat 3 satisfying healthy meals per day all week with reasonable treats on S days, or pig out on S days and then be a bit more hungry during the week. That is, if I want to lose weight. I have started tracking my wt on the Hacker's Diet chart, and that thing is really amazing. It accounts for water weight changes and gives a trend line that has been so encouraging for me!! I highly recommend it!
-Sonya

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:06 am

Things continue well. Wt is a little up and down, but slightly downward in trend.
S days have settled into a full S day on Sundays, and 2 other "S meals" during the week, where I might have seconds +/- a sweet thing, usually in a social context. I'm not sweating it. I'm surprised at how much the 3 meal structure has become just a part of life!!
-Sonya

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:05 pm

Doing fine here... took the whole S day on Sat this week. Enjoyed a huge portion of chicken and rice and cheesecake for lunch!!
Stressful week ahead at work. Will need to pack lunchces instead of coming home, etc. Hope all goes well...
-Sonya

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:33 pm

I guess it's good I have so little to report!
I'm still hungry some of the time. But I've pretty much stuck with my 3 meals. One thing that is realizing the S day splurges have to "come from" somewhere, if I want to lose weight, so I often eat only 2 meals on an S day, so I can enjoy seconds/sweets without overdoing the day in total, or I might skip breakfast the next day if I have a big meal out in the evening. This seems to work, as I AM less hungry after overdoing it, so it seems like the right time to cut back.
Yesterday I ate lunch out, and the 5 of us ordered and split 4 meals. That seemed to work out well, since we ate off a big plate in the center of the table... none of the orders were in any way large.
I'm trying to find that balance...
-Sonya

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:03 am

Still going along fine. Will be away from home for the next few weeks, which usually goes well, NoS-wise. Packing oatmeal and tuna, but also cheese for days that hunger might strike. I can get good bread where I'm going.
Have been slack in exercise, and that seems to keep the weight from leaving... and doesn't give me less appetite, so I hope to do some running in place in the office, etc. to get a little activity in while away.
-Sonya

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:12 pm

I'm kind of coasting along on NoS these days. I was off it in March-May 2012, and again over the 2012 winder holidays, so put on some weight, after having lost 14# from my starting point. So now I'm trying to get down there again.
I eat on kind of an odd schedule- a normal breakfast, a large heavy plate of food for lunch, and a very small 3rd plate any time from 2-4:30pm, which might look to some like a heavy snack. Then during the supper hour I go for a long walk. I usually do not come home hungry, and can make to breakfast the next day, no problem.
I still do S events during the week as that's when I'm more social. So that is 2 or 3 times per week of having seconds and/or dessert or a sweet snack. It's been easy for me to stick to N days on the weekends.
-Sonya

Kookie

Post by Kookie » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:34 pm

H! It's been so fun reading your posts...I was in GS too after years in OA then FA then OA-how then CEA-How..I've been around the block in the 12-step food groups! I love how you're making NoS work for you. I just had my first weekend on NoS and I binged...not good for a recovering bulimic! No purging. Anyway just wanted to say hi!!

Kooki

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:02 am

OK, I'm trying to really get back on track here and go with Vanilla NoS, despite the fact that most of my socializing occurs during the workweek, so there may be some awkwardness. A couple of times a month, I go to a friend's house for supper and she always serves a dessert or few pieces of chocolate to round out the meal. Maybe those can be my 2 designated extra S days-? Then there is Tuesday night Bible Study where someone always brings a snack. I'm fine skipping the store bought cookies, but 1 lady brings really nice home made goodies when it's her turn. I guess I can either take one home for the weekend, or take a red day. I think my practice of floating S days/events has not served me as well as I would like in the past, so will try the straight and narrow for now.

Fr140207 Green
B: soy beans/pineapple, melon, plums, 3 c coffee
L: fish/onions +mushrooms /slaw, olive oil
S: Out with Sheri: 3 mozzarella sticks, 1/2 fries, 1 slice Marguerita pizza, spicy chips

Sa140208 S Day
B: liver, onions/plums, 40g dark chocolate
L: fish/mushroom, onions, tomato sauce /slaw, mayonaise, 30g dark chocolate
S: soy beans/ salad +cauliflower /pumpkin, "ranch" dressing

@Kookie- Thanks for your comment a while back! Haven't been checking my check-in page lately and I missed it until now. Wow, another Greysheeter! I haven't met too many in real life, and the ones I know from their forum drop you like a hot potato when you are not abstinent. I'm glad we've found this more balanced way of eating.
-Sonya

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:53 pm

Su140209 S Day
B: (Skipped,) 2 c coffee
L: Yilma Hotel with Cor: Sourdough pancake with beef, chickpea sauce, coffee, chocolate
S: (Skipped) 5 mini-Butterfingers
Last edited by osoniye on Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Sonya

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:15 pm

Helloooo!

Wouldn't it be nice if the rest of the world would cooperate with this way of living? In the meantime, there's this forum. I'm still here after 4 years. Still working on having other things take over my focus, but this isn't the worst one in the world. I could have taken up gambling, where losing is NOT an advantage.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:43 pm

Hi Oolala- Yes, it would be nice if other people cooperated and didn't throw temptation in our ways!

Mo140210 Green
B: cheese, fried egg/pineapple, plum
L: beef liver/fried onions, roasted pumpkin, butter
S: egg salad/plums
-Sonya

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:20 pm

Tu140211 NWS Day (Astrid bringing snack to BS)
B: egg, cheese/pineapple
L: fish/cauliflower/strawberries
Snack: roasted string beans and onions, roasted pumpkin seeds
S: egg salad/plums
Snack: chocolate, banana bread, chips
The homemade banana bread was soooo worth scheduling a NWS over! The Jury is still out on Valentine's Day. I don't have any plans, so it will probably be an N, but I might allow a piece of candy or 2 if it's offered to me, and not call it a fail.
-Sonya

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:39 am

You can always plan it as an S Day, but then eat normally. I like that kind of NoS freedom. I'm a big proponent of setting the bar at a reasonable height so that failure is unlikely. :)
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/18-25.6; 8/18-24.5; 10/18-23.8;
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
6/20-22.5; 7/20-23.0; 9/20-23.6
4/21 - 25.2

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:57 pm

Hi Automated- Thanks for stopping by and for your suggestion. Still not sure, as I'm trying to have just 2 extra S days per month and don't want to "spend" them both so early in the month.
We140212
B: beef+ soy beans/strawberries pineapple, pumpkin seeds
L: egg, cheese/cauliflower/pumpkin, butter
S: sunflower "cheese"/large dinner salad, ranch dressing
I seem to be eating less than usual, but the scales isn't budging. I think my metabolism is ever slowing down. Just when I get used to a new "low", another few years passes and it gets worse. I would like to start exercising, but haven't found the right thing. I live in an area with a lot of exhaust fumes, so walking isn't ideal. There is a swimming pool I can get to by public transportation, but it takes over an hour each way, so the whole trip including the swim and dressing is over 3 hours.
-Sonya

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:47 am

Th140213
Brunch: roasted beef ribs/grapefruit
Late Lunch: steamed broccoli/pumpkin +fried onions
S: egg salad/beets

Fr140214
B: egg salad/melon
L: fried beef cubes in hot sauce (yum!)/onions, steamed broccoli /tomatoes with Italian +ranch dressing
S: fish/pumpkin/plums
I don't have a really huge appetite, but feel very snack-y! I did dodge a bullet yesterday and didn't enter a store that has my favorite chips, which I'm sure I wouldn't have saved for mealtime.
Last edited by osoniye on Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Sonya

eschano

Post by eschano » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:32 am

osoniye wrote: I did dodge a bullet yesterday and didn't enter a store that has my favorite chips, which I'm sure I wouldn't have saved for mealtime.
Ooh, well done! Sometimes dodging the bullet is the best strategy.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016
Started again January 2021

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:15 am

Hi eschano, Thanks for stopping by.
Yeah... it seems I have to use my modicum of willpower either before I get to the door of a place I don't need to be, or when I'm wandering around with the shopping cart. Trying to use the willpower later is a big mistake, after I have something in my house.
It seems like the supermarkets are getting smarter and putting chips, etc. on the periphery of the store, where everyone tells us to shop, these days!
-Sonya

jw

Post by jw » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:04 pm

I just posted on eschano's thread -- she has leftover chocolates in her cupboard! I am still in a place where it's best just not to bring it in the house. So your post struck a chord!
"The second you overcomplicate it is the second it becomes the thing for which it is a corrective." -- El Fug

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:35 pm

It's ALWAYS better to dodge a bullet.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:01 am

Oh, and I do recommend walking videos. They're more fun than they sound and I can do one in the living area of my 500 sq. ft. place.
Not that I do mine all the time... but when I'm in the groove, I do, and I like them.

And there are tons of 10-minute workout videos on Sparkpeople and on youtube. Even 10 minutes of vigor makes a difference.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:22 pm

Yeah, jw, no chocolate lurking around in MY cupboard!
Always happy when a bullet is dodged, oolala.

Sa140215 S day!
B: fried cubed beef/onions, grapefruit
L: (lunch at Cor's) cabbage rolls, mashed potatoes, pudding, cake, coffee
S: egg salad/tomato salad
This was the best type of S day- where someone else does the cooking, heh! A friend and her tween daughter spent the whole morning making a celebratory lunch for her older daughter who has finished a round of exams. So they slaved over a hot stove and oven and I managed just to enjoy the bounty.
-Sonya

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:59 pm

It all sounds delicious!
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:42 pm

Hi automated- yeah, it was really good!

Su140216
B: grilled liver and onions/melon w/cinnamon
L: fish/mushrooms +tomato sauce/salad, Italian dressing
S: fried cubed beef/onions, pumpkin /plums
I decided not to have any S type of things today, and there is that "sometimes" clause. There is not anything I particularly want or can fit into my schedule today.
It is very tempting to "float" the S day to Tuesday, but I'm not going to do that, because that type of thing has gotten me into trouble in the past. I really want to give Vanilla a good try. I plan to take my second NWS of the month on Tuesday, if I decide I want to do that. But I'm not going to hold myself to deciding in advance. The option will be there for me on Tuesday at any point to declare it or not. I think that will give me some flexibility without total chaos.
I am thinking of committing to Vanilla NoS for the month of March as well, and maybe then evaluate if I think I need any mods.
-Sonya

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:29 pm

Mo140217 S day- I'm sick. Wound up developing a 101 degree fever over the course of the day. I feel miserable. Only ate a little over half of my lunch. I had stashed a piece of candy from the office, planning to save it for Saturday, but am laying in bed consuming it now. Being sick calls for measures of self care and kindness.
I'm just praying I will be well enough to go to work tomorrow. We have just a few days with a consultant, and our team cannot really progress unless all 3 members are there. And it's stuff I care about.
B: 2 slices whole grain toast with peanut butter, black coffee
L: liver/pumpkin/broccoli, Italian dressing, sm amount of roasted grain
S: skipped, may snack later if I feel a bit better.
-Sonya

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:33 am

Feel better! Sick days are S days!
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:58 am

Thanks, r.jean.
Still sick with low grade fever. Not eating much, not worrying about taking S days, as I'm lucky to eat 3 half plates or so!
-Sonya

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:32 am

Oh so sorry to hear you're not feeling well! Remember sick days are S days so just focus on getting better for now.

Linda
:twisted: SW: 210 lbs
CW: 172
GW:160

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:24 pm

Thanks, Linda. Trying to get better...
Feeling some better today, but still low grade fever on and off and very poor appetite. Tempted to do more around the house than I probably should as some people are coming tomorrow.
B: 1 slice toast with peanut butter
L: 1/2 serving sourdough pancake with fried cubed meat, red sauce
S: 1 egg, cheese/pineapple
-Sonya

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:52 pm

Still feeling yucky, but appetite slowly coming back...
B: liver/melon, plums
L: soy beans/beets/carrots, mayo, roasted grain
S: soup: beef broth, beef cubes/onions, macaroni
-Sonya

jw

Post by jw » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:53 pm

Fever for a week, Sonya -- that doesn't sound good. :-( Glad your appetite is returning and I know that feeling of being torn about missing something important at work -- but if it doesn't clear over the weekend, maybe you should look into it? Hope you get a good rest this weekend!
"The second you overcomplicate it is the second it becomes the thing for which it is a corrective." -- El Fug

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:32 pm

Thanks, jw
The fever seems to be gone but I'm still achy and grumpy. Hope that subsides soon, too!
S day: In the morning I ate a small plum. Lunch was Korean restaurant food, 4 dishes shared 4 ways, and cafe late to finish the meal. Skipped dinner.
-Sonya

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:51 pm

Feeling low energy, if not sick. Took a nap today.
am.: coffee with milk
L: Philly steak and cheese sandwich, fries, catsup, mineral water
S: fish/pumpkin/plums
Didn't have any S today, though it's an official S day. I could have had something sweet at a cafe after lunch, but opted for home and a nap instead.
-Sonya

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:59 am

Mo140224
B: sunflower cheese/beets
L: mix vegetables on sourdough pancake
S: fish +rice soup
A nice plain N day...
-Sonya

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:44 pm

Hope you get your energy back soon! Life will seem so much brighter.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:45 pm

Thanks, automated. I am really looking forward to that!

Tu140225 2nd NWS day of February
B: yogurt/plums
L: liver/rice/salad
Snack: 1 slice cake, few chips
S: burger/fries/catsup
-Sonya

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:22 pm

We140226 fail
B: coffee with milk
L: vegetables and chic pea soup on sourdough pancake, few cookies
S: beef +soy beans/ leftover carrots, broccoli
Ate a few cookies after lunch, which were yummy... but perhaps not a great reason for a fail.
-Sonya

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:56 pm

Th140227 fail
B: egg salad/plums, coffee w/milk +few cookies
L: liver/beets/grapefruit +pineapple
S: soy burger/tomato, carrots, mayo
Another fail on the cookies. Today was the last day working in the place where the cookies are a problem, I'm glad to say.
-Sonya

Marianna

Post by Marianna » Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:28 pm

its hard when you can't control the environment isn't it? That is my biggest No S problem--stuff showing up that I can't resist--

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:57 am

Yeah, Marianna, it is a challenge when the sweets are just there. Sometimes I can manage to resist, and other times it just seems like too much to ask!

Fr140228
B: egg salad/plums
L: fish&soybean burger/beets/carrots, tomatoes, mayo (This was a very yummy colorful meal!)
S: liver/pumpkin/broccoli
-Sonya

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:44 pm

Looks like you had a very good-tasting Friday! Enjoy your weekend, Sonya!
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:17 pm

Thanks, automated!
Sa140301 S day
B: egg salad/plums
L: yogurt/beets/carrots
S: out with Cor: 1/2 small pizza, mineral water, 6 or so chocolate cookies
So here we are- an S day and I don't have the temptation of office cookies. I'm remembering why I have done floating S events and days in the past- it's because this is really awkward. But I have to keep reminding myself that the lack of structure didn't serve me well. At least now, I can take and
admit a red day, and it's clear to see where the lack of weight loss and peace of mind is coming from, if I experience either of those. Well, today starts a new month!
-Sonya

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:28 pm

Su140302 S day...
B: egg salad/cantaloupe, coffee w/milk
L: yogurt/raw broccoli/pumpkin, butter
S: fried cubed beef, onion/grated carrots
Hmmm, here we are with another Sunday when I'm not having any S's in the program. The temptation is strong to start floating S days, but I will remain strong! My new goal is to stick with Vanilla NoS at least through June. I'm really finding that it is somehow better to do Vanilla NoS with some red day fails, and some opportunity-less S days, than to alter the rules and wind up with a whole lot less structure! Who knew?! (Probably, most everyone else on here!)
Last edited by osoniye on Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Sonya

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:36 pm

Sonya,
have you already addressed the possibility of planning some nice treats for your S Days as a way to make sure you get something special on those days? I haven't read through all of your thread, maybe that doesn't work for some reason.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:55 pm

automatedeating wrote:...have you already addressed the possibility of planning some nice treats for your S Days as a way to make sure you get something special on those days?
Hi automated- thanks for stopping by. I'm in kind of an odd situation. I live in a developing country at very high altitude, and I am single. There are so many permutations on the theme of why it's awkward. If I bake something, it is usually a big batch, and a big undertaking to get the proportions right for the altitude and then there's a lot of whatever it is leftover (which I guess I can then overeat... or freeze or share). If someone else makes something special, it's often not on an S day... and is in a social situation where it would be awkward to ask to take some with me. There are some cafes here, but the quality of stuff is variable. Good chocolate is almost unheard of, and is very expensive. And I have proven time and time again that if I bring sweet things from my home country, intending to save them for S days, I will binge on the supply till it's gone, and that is pretty much worse than not having S's on S days!
I do try to steer people toward the weekend if we are going to meet for lunch and something sweet afterwards, but that doesn't always work. I guess it's a combination of laziness and lack of creativity that keep me in the situation of having S-less S days!
-Sonya

Marianna

Post by Marianna » Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:07 pm

sonya--I completely understand--when circumstances enable failure rather than success, knowing yourself and following what you know will work is key. In the meantime, you are developing great habits. good work.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:51 pm

And remember the "sometimes" for S days. It's hard to accept that possibly the extras aren't actually necessary EVERY weekend.

I've seen very few people succeed with floating S days, and when I say succeed, I mean keep it working for 2 years or more. Less time than that is still mostly experiment.

I have been having some fails in the last few months, but I haven't given up on having my basic plan be the goal; the only mod I have for S days and it is that I can eat sweets only in company and no cookie dough. I pretty much gave up baking a couple of years ago. I was using it as an excuse to overdo. My social life certainly doesn't warrant it. If that changes, I might experiment.

I think it's great that you are committed until June. The plan and you merit that amount of time.
Last edited by oolala53 on Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:18 am

Thanks for words of support Marianna.

Hi oolala- Thanks for stopping by and commenting. Yeah, the dreaded "sometimes" clause. I really don't like that the reality of moderation (and weight loss) really does mean that S treats are only sometimes. Sigh. I guess that's what I will live with in my boring Sundays for now. Just seems only right to get a free pass, like a rain check, but it really doesn't work that way. I turned 50 this year, and I can see that with each decade, my metabolism slows down, and it seems to make itself known most on the 0 years! (or at least that's when I notice it...)
I think my social life doesn't warrant a baking habit, either!
-Sonya

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:36 am

Mo140303
B: egg salad +veggie burger/tomatoes, mayo, black coffee
L: (vegan lunch out)
S: skipped
Have a head cold, after just getting over the flu or whatever it was from the week before last. Wish I could stay home, but this is a heavy workweek again. Not much appetite again.
-Sonya

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:43 am

Ugh hope you feel better soon!

eschano

Post by eschano » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:40 am

Yes, hope you feel better soon! Get some broth into you!
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:23 pm

Thanks, Lpearlmom and eschano!

Tu140304
B: veggie burger/tomato, mayo, black coffee
L: lg bowl gumbo
S: snacky supper: 2 (non-sweet) muffins, handful of roasted grain, few strawberries
-Sonya

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:36 pm

We140305
B: broiled marinated beef cubes/plums
L: lg bowl gumbo
S: veggie burger/carrots, tomato, yogurt
Feeling a little better. Enjoyed all my food today.
-Sonya

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:35 pm

Th140306
B: liver +broiled marinated beef cubes/cantaloupe, black coffee, roasted grain
L: soup
S: veggie burger/tomatoes, carrots, yogurt
Gaining strength back, enjoying my meals. Ate veggie soup for lunch that didn't have enough substance to it, so piled the supper plate high, but it was mostly tomatoes and carrots, so no problem, and a green day.
-Sonya

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:30 pm

You seem pretty consistent! What are the numbers at the beginning of your posts for?
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139
Willingness without action is fantasy

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:56 am

You're doing great & glad you're feeling a bit better. I was wondering about the numbers too.

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:54 pm

Fr140307 N Day Success
B: several cups coffee with milk and creamer
L: vegan lunch plate
S: pot luck success- 1 plate: 1 small slice ground beef pizza, mashed potatoes, sm meat/veg +gravy, 1 non-sweet crepe, fruit.

Amazed at having a successful pot luck meal. I grabbed one of the larger plates, but didn't stack at all, managed to make choices from the middle of the line, that left enough for others, but was also satisfying to me, without any sweets. (This is really unheard of for me!)
(The numbers at the top are the date of the eating, which doesn't always match the date of the post. Fr140307 is Friday, year 2014, month 03, day 07.)
-Sonya

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:58 pm

Saturday: S day
B: veggie burgers/tomato, mayo/cantaloupe, coffee
L: lg bowl soup
Sweet Snack: 2 fun sized butterfingers and 4 sm pc chocolate
S: broiled marinated beef cubes/bread/carrots
No amazing S events, but the chocolates were nice.
-Sonya

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:01 pm

Sunday- S day
S day treat- packet of hot cocoa in my morning coffee
L: International buffet- seconds, and a small sweet (+multivitamin)
Evening snack: toast, butter, peanut butter (+Calcium supplement)
All good. "Can't fail on an S day!"
-Sonya

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:47 pm

Monday:
B: 1 egg, beef and cheese omelet/toast, black coffee
L: soup/toast with apple butter
S: veggie burgers/tomato, mayo/plums
Very normal NoS day!
-Sonya

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:05 am

Hi Sonya,
Congrats on your potluck success! Doesn't that feel great? :)
I love your month/day/year logging, I might start doing it that way too!
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:33 pm

Thanks, automated! It does feel great!

Tu140311
B: (heavy breakfast out) 1 plate of savory pancake and beef meet/offal
L: (skipped)
S: bread sticks
A disordered day, meal-wise. Got pulled into various activities. Breakfast was late and heavy, and I wasn't hungry till evening but didn't want to be overfull again, so will re-set with a normal breakfast in the morning, hopefully.
-Sonya

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:26 pm

You're doing great Sonya! I hate when my eating gets thrown off w a heavier than normal meal but I'm sure you'll get back on track.

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:26 pm

Thanks for the encouragement, Lpearlmom.
We140312
B: veggie burgers/tomato, mayo
L: soup/carrots/strawberries
S: 1 egg +cheese/strawberries/roasted grains, peanuts, 2 bread sticks
I really enjoyed my breakfast this morning, nice to feel pleasantly hungry.
This time, committing to NoS is going better than before... I think a big part is that a friend I used to get together with on Tuesdays or Wednesdays (to drink coffee and eat snacks!) has become more available on the weekends, so I can enjoy time with her over coffee and whatever, without taking a red day or feeling like I need to do a mod like floating S days, which ultimately sooo didn't work for me.
Also I'm learning to call a plate of non-sweet snacky food in the late afternoon when I'm out "supper", and just carry on. I have some problems with acid reflux if I eat supper too close to bedtime. If I get home after 8 pm, I really don't need to start cooking then. Much better to wait for breakfast.
-Sonya

eschano

Post by eschano » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:26 am

Hi Sonya,
Thanks for sharing all this - there's a lot of wisdom about why it works better this time around. I'm always very interested in what works for people and what makes them leave. Thanks!
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:47 pm

Th140313
B: coffee with milk
L: soup/breadsticks, roasted grain
S: 1 egg +cheese/mellon, plums
Didn't manage to get breakfast this morning. Was hungry by lunchtime, but not inordinately so. Supper was fine, but again, I didn't feel like I was starving. Wonder if my appetite is matching my needs more. Not sure,... it sure is different in social situations where I can eat "the whole thing".
-Sonya

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:13 am

I definitely notice I am more hungry on days that I am very tired... and vice versa. Glad you had a good day!
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2