Thtrchic's Daily Check-in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:46 am

Sunday, S-DAY. I'm ready to get back to "normal" tomorrow. It is a holiday so I'll be home, but not a No-S one for me.

B - cereal with milk
L - leftover chicken korma with bread
S - dreyers thin mint ice cream (too much of it)
D - (out with friends) Five Guys little cheeseburger and shared order of fries
S - (out with friends) about 3/4 of a piece of cheesecake factory banana cream cheesecake (also too much of it -- it did include a good amount of real, fresh banana, which was nice)

My pedometer is acting weird and clearly wasn't accurately counting, but I got a decent amount of steps in. Id estimate 8000-9000. I'll have to figure out what's up with it tomorrow when it "really" counts. And will do my weights tomorrow.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:42 am

Monday, SUCCESS! Usually N days at home are really hard for me, but I did well without too much trouble today.

B - cereal with milk
L - tuna sandwich with havarti on rye, chips, banana
D - 1/2 chicken picatta breast, salad of mixed greens, avocado, olives, and carrots in light poppyseed dressing

Took a long walk around the lake by my house this afternoon so at about 12,500 steps for the day. Will do some weights work this evening as promised.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:12 pm

Yesterday, Tuesday, I failed. :(

Good news: After the 5 little danish butter cookies I ate, I didn't have anything else. I didn't allow the "Oh well, I've failed and might as well eat til I'm sick" mentality to take over. I actually didn't even really want to do that and was easily able to just stop.

Other good news: Since they're little and that's all I had, I actually had less calories than if I'd had real dinner so there's not much an effect on weight.

Bad news: I ate 5 of those little danish butter cookies for dinner.

B - cereal with milk and 1/2 sliced banana
L - tuna on rye, chips, bunch of raisins with a few almonds
D/S - 5 little danish butter cookies

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:30 am

Wednesday, SUCCESS! Right back on the wagon.

B - cereal with milk, 1/2 banana
L - 1/2 chicken picatta breast, apple, small popover
D - wheat thins, havarti, black olives, sliced banana

Dinner was supposed to be baked tilapia, but I managed to burn it beyond edibility. Very sad of me especially since it was nice fish I bought at the farmers market. Oh well -- moving on.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:50 am

Thursday, SUCCESS!

B - cereal with milk and 1/2 banana
L - (out with a colleague) 1/2 fancy sausage, mushroom, and pesto panini, small side salad with oil and vinegar
D - the other half of the panini, apple

Both lunch and dinner were physically small meals and I didn't think it'd be enough for me at lunch time, but it was. Perhaps because of the high fat content. The day felt awfully successful to me. I also turned down a homemade cookie from a co-worker at 4 -- my most vulnerable time! :)

And got 7000 steps in, which makes it 30000 for the week.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:58 am

Friday, SUCCESS!

B - steel cut oats with bit of butter and sugar
L - large chunk of bread with butter, salad of greens, avocado, olives, carrots and light honey mustard dressing, orange
D - wheat thins, havarti cheese, black olives, pumpkin

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:36 am

Saturday, S-DAY. In control.

B - oatmeal with 1/2 sliced banana
L - 2/3 of a tombstone cheese pizza (yes, this is a somewhat mediocre frozen pizza, but its something I kind of love and consider a treat)
D - the other 1/3 of the pizza
S - somewhat large serving of dreyers thin mint ice cream

Also got in a nice walk today plus a bunch of cleaning up movement around the apartment.

It feels pretty indulgent with the tombstone pizza, but actually has only 1 S and a not totally out of control one so I'm pleased.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:52 am

Sunday, S-DAY. Wilder, but not insane.

B - 2 pieces buttered rye toast, 3 turkey sausage links, mango
L - (at a bar watching the football game with friends) few fried artichoke hearts, 1/2 turkey club, 1/4 grilled chicken sandwich with cheese, large handful of fries, about 1/2 of an apple crisp with vanilla ice cream, pint of beer
"D"/S - frozen snickers bar, air popped popcorn with melted a little olive oil/butter

Walking with friends after the game for about 45 minutes. Mostly thanks to a strong Monday and Saturday, got my steps for the week.

Back to the dentist tomorrow for the final step (I hope) in the saga of this tooth. Hopefully it won't have too much impact on eating for the week.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:15 am

Monday, SUCCESS!

I was home for the day, but still stuck to the gameplan. It wasn't the easiest thing to do, but it also wasn't THAT hard.

B - cereal with milk
L - chicken and mushroom soup, large chunk of bread with butter, large handful of mixed nuts and raisins
D - baked potato with butter, carrots, havarti cheese, banana

Yes, it was a very starchy day, but that's a non-issue for me at the moment. Yay for 3 meals, no snacks and no sweets! :)

It's a sick day from exercise for me.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:24 am

Tuesday, SUCCESS!

B - hot grape nuts with milk and honey
L - "pb&j", baked cheetos, mixed berries
D - rice with chicken in bbq sauce

7300 steps for the day.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:42 pm

Wednesday, (predicted) SUCCESS!

B - steel cut oats with bit of butter and sugar, cran-apple juice
L - leftover chicken and rice, almonds, banana
D - TBD: one plate of something, out with a friend at a yet to be determined restaurant before seeing a show

At about 6200 steps right now so am thinking it'll be about 8000-8500 for the day. Will definitely beat 7000. Also did 15+ minutes of strength training stuff this morning. Feeling very good about that. The rest of the week will be harder because I'm seeing shows at other theatres tonight and tomorrow and at my theatre Friday, which means no free evening time and less sleep. But this is the kind of thing I need to learn how to handle so I'll just do my best.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:49 am

Dinner ended up being a tuna melt with fries and a pickle. Not the healthiest in the world, but completely in one plate sans sweets so I'm good.

And did 9000 steps for the day. Yay! :)

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:08 pm

Today is one of those days where my practice of weighing daily is bad. Generally, when I'm "on plan" my weight is steady or slightly down each day and then somewhat up over the weekend. Today its up more than a pound since yesterday. A good deal of that must be related to salt since even with fries and a restaurant tuna melt since I obviously didn't actually eat 4000 calories more than I needed yesterday. Still seeing the number is discouraging and gives me the "what's the point" head. But I'm writing that out here instead of giving in to it and will carry on on plan knowing that if I keep at it, the weight will eventually really come off.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:32 am

Thursday, SUCCESS!

A little harder today, but I didn't give in so good for me!

L - red lentil soup, hummus, fluffy piece of bread
D - (out, with a friend before another show) very small cup of miso soup, small basic salad with miso dressing, 3 pieces sashimi, small avocado maki roll, smallish piece of salmon teriyaki with a little rice

About 7500 steps for the day and 15 minutes of strength training stuff in the morning.

Julie

EDIT -- actually did just about 9000 steps. even better. :)

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:13 pm

Ok, so I'm now concluding that something must be wrong with my scale. I got on today and it says I'm ANOTHER 2.5 pounds higher than yesterday. My body doesn't do swings like that. I know a lot of people do, but I don't. That 2.5 pounds higher also takes me higher than I've been in many, many, many months and I just don't believe it. I just now got on again and it's off by another pound. Again, not how my body or scale usually reacts. I'm now guessing that yesterday's weight was just inaccurate too. Good thing I just kept on keeping on and didn't go too far off the deep end about it.

I'll get a new battery since that's probably what's wrong. If not, I'll have to decide if I should get a new scale or just stop the weighing. But it's probably just the battery. Hopefully I can get it today so I can have an "accurate" end of month weight.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:46 am

Friday, SUCCESS!

It's been a very stressful day at work, but I did a good job of reminding myself that giving into sweets isn't going to solve any of that. I do still have several more hours at the theatre to get through, but afternoon is really my danger time so Im confident I can do it. I also went and bought a new battery for my scale so hopefully can get a better measurement tomorrow.

L - hummus with small handful of wheat thins (all I had), 2 largish carrots, baked cheetos, raisins
D - stouffers stromboli, satsuma orange

Should be at least 7500 and likely 8000 steps for the day. I've done well with that this week and am feeling good about it.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:57 am

Ok, make that a FAILURE. I'm pretty annoyed with myself. It was dumb and weak of me, but I had a big chocolate chip cookie. I did enjoy it at least, but its pretty ridiculous that I can so rarely go 5 days without going outside the already kind of easy parameters of this plan. But nothing more I can right now except move on so I guess that's what I'll do.

On the upside, I did get to 8500 steps today. I made myself take breaks with walks the last few days, which has really increased my step count.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:36 am

Saturday, S-DAY. Trying to just let yesterday go and not focus too much on weight and mistakes.

B - oatmeal
L - 2 slices "fancy" mushroom and blue cheese pizza, strawberries
S - about 1/8 cup of almonds (took 1/4 cup, but was full at 1/8 so stopped)
D - 6 crab rangoon (from frozen), strawberries
S - more of the thin mint ice cream

At about 6000 steps now, but will push and get to 7000.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:28 am

Sunday, S-DAY. Less ridiculous than most Sundays tend to be for me.

B - banana pancakes with maple syrup
L - 2 pieces fresh, multigrain seeded bread with butter, 1/2 banana, few strawberries, ice cream cookie sandwich
D - (at a theatre event) 8-10 crackers, some goat cheese, slices of apple, few strawberries, banana slices, few marinated mushrooms, almonds, 2 bite size sweet things

Only about 6000 steps, but I'm exhausted from the couple hours standing/mingling at the event.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:56 pm

Monday, SUCCESS!

B - raisin bran with milk
L - roasted chicken leg and thigh, small piece of that multigrain bread with butter, blue corn chips, apple
D - lamb burger with goat cheese (no bun), avocado/orange/grapefruit salad in light orange vinaigrette dressing, few olives

Very fat heavy dinner, but basically the "good" kind.

Did pushups and crunches this morning and will do a Leslie Sansone video tonight (a walk/jog combo one that I've never seen before).

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:34 pm

Well, technically I lost 3 pounds in January, but really it was just over 1 because 1/1 was artificially high from the eating craze of New Years Eve.

Just over 1 isn't much weight, given the three failures not bad. If I could cut out the failures I'm sure I could be doing 2-3 month, which I'd be entirely happy with.

I also, apparently, didn't do end of December measurements, but I did mid-December and lost a total of an inch across hips, waist, chest, thighs since then. Again, not startlingly huge, but not bad.

Overall, I continue to go in the right direction: weight is down (at least slightly), measurements are lower (again, a bit), and although I did yet again have 3 failures all three were contained to instances rather than days and didn't extend into the following day so also an important improvement. And here I am still trying and planning for another month of Vanilla No-S.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:56 am

Tuesday, SUCCESS!

B- raisin bran with milk and sliced banana
L - (after a bit of a tupperware disaster) blue corn chips, almonds (replacing the food that got destroyed in previously mentioned disaster), apple
D - small frozen cheese pizza (500 cals total for sense of size)

Not the greatest eating day ever, but it counts. And I'm pleased that I abstained from buying sweets while at the store hungry on my way home from work tonight.

Only 5500 steps, but instead of making up the difference I'm going to do yoga tonight.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:22 am

So, I haven't done very well on food since Tuesday. Although, it hasn't been disaster mode either, which is great. And I'm doing well on exercise and I'm proud of that.

Wednesday I had a brownie mid-afternoon. That was totally a reaction to stress and stupid. I can't quite remember the details of food that day, but do know I had a light dinner. And did about 2.5 miles of walking fast with some jogging plus pushups and crunches.

Thursday was opening at the theatre so a planned NWS day. I had a pound cake cupcake (thanks to the recipe I stole from NoelFigert and made for the staff for opening) for breakfast and a couple bites of dessert at dinner. And lunch was all ok food, but random and spread out. No exercise due to 12 hours of work.

Today I had another cupcake for breakfast. Doh. And I had a cookie this afternoon for no good reason. Lunch was a large slice of mushroom pizza and dinner was multigrain crackers with goat cheese and a banana. Both were small --- I guess I was kind of full from the sweets. Better than sweets and big meals, but still hardly my shining moment. Did another 2.5 miles of walking mixed with a little jogging and the pushups and crunches. It's funny, but I'm really enjoying exercising this week. I'm feeling so good after it -- physically and mentally -- and managing to remember that from day to day.

I've also stayed steady on water all week so that's another plus. I'm trying to stay reasonably positive about this rather than get caught up in "being a failure" who might as well just give up because I'm not and I shouldn't and won't.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:23 am

So, I haven't done very well on food since Tuesday. Although, it hasn't been disaster mode either, which is great. And I'm doing well on exercise and I'm proud of that.

Wednesday I had a brownie mid-afternoon. That was totally a reaction to stress and stupid. I can't quite remember the details of food that day, but do know I had a light dinner. And did about 2.5 miles of walking fast with some jogging plus pushups and crunches.

Thursday was opening at the theatre so a planned NWS day. I had a pound cake cupcake (thanks to the recipe I stole from NoelFigert and made for the staff for opening) for breakfast and a couple bites of dessert at dinner. And lunch was all ok food, but random and spread out. No exercise due to 12 hours of work.

Today I had another cupcake for breakfast. Doh. And I had a cookie this afternoon for no good reason. Lunch was a large slice of mushroom pizza and dinner was multigrain crackers with goat cheese and a banana. Both were small --- I guess I was kind of full from the sweets. Better than sweets and big meals, but still hardly my shining moment. Did another 2.5 miles of walking mixed with a little jogging and the pushups and crunches. It's funny, but I'm really enjoying exercising this week. I'm feeling so good after it -- physically and mentally -- and managing to remember that from day to day.

I've also stayed steady on water all week so that's another plus. I'm trying to stay reasonably positive about this rather than get caught up in "being a failure" who might as well just give up because I'm not and I shouldn't and won't.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:04 am

Saturday, S-DAY. Solid.

B - cereal with milk and banana
L - (out with friends) dim sum -- I stopped JUST before being full. I'm quite proud of this, especially since it was dim sum and yummy.
S - chocolate milk
D - multigrain crackers with a little goat cheese, strawberries

Walked a bunch around the farmers market this morning and chinatown this afternoon with my friends. Just over 14000 steps for the day. This is a lot for me and I'm tired now, but in a good way.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:39 am

Sunday, S-DAY. Bleh, I've eaten too much. All in the last couple hours. And am now cutting myself off for the night, which is harder than I'd like it to be.

B - large bowl of yogurt with sliced banana and strawberry mixed with some grape nuts and a bit of sugar
L - grilled sirloin steak sandwich, 1/2 baked potato with butter and bit of yogurt, strawberries
S - ghiradelli chocolate with caramel bar
D - "nachos" (aka chips with cheese)
S - mike and ike's, ginger ale, 2 cookies

Off for the day on exercise.

Have meals planned and groceries purchased for the week and am ready to get started on a good week. I do have an S-event on Thursday: dinner at Chez Panisse (a fancy, famous, wonderful restaurant where I will be eating the three courses they serve me including something sweet at the end). Otherwise, it'll be green all the way.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:15 am

Monday, SUCCESS. I've had a very hungry afternoon and even had a cup of coffee with a little milk to help. I'm persevering, though.

L - homemade mac and cheese (about an ounce of whole wheat pasta, about 1/4 cup cheddar cheese, a little yogurt, parmesan, and panko all baked together), mixed greens salad with a little olive and avocado plus a little light honey mustard dressing, apple
Afternoon coffee with a little milk
D - small steak sandwich, few almonds, 1/2 baked potato with butter and bit of yogurt, raisins

Did my pushups and crunches. My pedometer isn't working again. Grrr.... Moved around as much as I can, but nothing extra or exercise specific in this 12+ hour work day.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:35 am

Tuesday, SUCCESS!

Another stressful day at work, but I had two major accomplishments: first, I was able to remind myself that eating "unacceptable" foods wouldn't help anything and keep myself from doing that and then, second, I was able to remind myself how much better I felt after exercising each day last week and worked out when I got home. And I was right about both!

B - cereal with milk
L - "healthy" mac and cheese (like yesterday), small handful of almonds, banana, strawberry, orange smoothie (all fruit -- no sugar or yogurt or anything added)
D - mixed greens salad with little avocado, artichoke, and olive and light poppyseed dressing, large piece of bread with butter, banana

WATP 2 mile brisk walk video plus a little extra stretching.

Julie

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:10 am

You sound like you are doing pretty well. Keep it up!
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:20 am

Thanks, Kevin!

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:44 am

Wednesday, SUCCESS!

The weirdest thing happened: on my way home from work I was tired and so hungry and kind of crampy and gave myself permission to just do my pushups and crunches, but skip the cardio part of my exercise, but when I got home I suddenly wanted to do it so I changed and got to it -- the same brisk 2 mile with a little upper body work mixed in WATP video from yesterday. This is so unlike me, but I feel great.

I was so, so hungry after pushups and the walking that I literally forgot about crunches and ran to put my food together. I'll do the crunches in a bit once dinner has settled a little more.

L - pb&j (all fruit not jelly, of course), baked chips, apple
D - large portion of mixed greens with some olives and a little avocado and ff catalina dressing, another serving of the whole wheat mac and cheese (one more left for tomorrow), 3 dates

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:07 am

Thursday, SUCCESS!

I exercised when I got home from work tonight AGAIN! I'm so proud of myself keeping up this pattern. Tomorrow is yoga and pushups/crunches. I don't know if that's harder or easier, but I think the variety will be good for me.

B - raisin bran with milk and 1/2 banana
L - (out) tuna sandwich on rye with cheddar and mayo, chips
D - 1/4 cup mixed (salted) nuts, homemade strawberry banana smoothie

The brisk 2 mile WATP video again.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:57 am

Friday, CRASH AND BURN.

So, I suddenly had to go to a tasting for our upcoming gala at 11 this morning. I wasn't planning on going, but then my development director was sick and another committee member cancelled so I truly had to for my job. This included eating small plates of 3 entree choices plus bites of 3 appetizer choices plus salad plus a small amount of a dessert choice. It obviously was on many plates. If it wasn't for the dessert I probably would have just called it fine, but I had to approve it so I had to eat it. Sounds like an excuse, but it really is fact. Fine. I ate it. And enjoyed it because it was wonderful. But then the sugar monster was awakened and I was resentful that I'd "failed" when it "wasn't my fault." So I ate a brownie an hour later. And then candy from a box of candy an hour after that. Dumb, dumb, dumb of me. However, there's good news.... in the past I would absolutely have come home and eaten a ton of ice cream or pizza or pizza and ice cream or pizza and ice cream and cookies. Or all that and the cinnamon bun I had in my cart at CVS, but then took out just before checking out. But I didn't and am not. I'm not eating anything tonight because I don't need anything else or really feel like eating anything else. And now I move on because what else can I do....

B - large bowl of mini wheats with milk
L - 3 bite size appetizers, small salad with wonderful blue cheese and toasted almonds in a sherry vinaigrette dressing, a number of bites each of a salmon topped with a fairly rich herb butter sauce, israeli couscous, carrots, roast chicken, orzo mac and cheese, spinach, flat iron steak, small potato, green beans, chocolate mousse cake with caramel sauce
S - brownie
S - 4 pieces bite size chocolate candies

Haven't yet, but still going to do my pushups and crunches.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:37 am

Saturday, S-DAY. Sugar overload.

B - steel cut oats with a little butter, sugar, and milk and 1/2 banana
L - small amy's frozen pizza with olives, root beer
D - (at a friends) one plate of homemade chinese food: chicken and veggies, szechuan shrimp with rice and peapods, peanut noodles

In between lunch and dinner and after dinner: too many cookies.

Off for the day on exercise, which feels nice after another successful exercise week. I did do two loads of laundry, dishes, grocery shopping, and general picking up of the apartment so not totally immobile.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:20 am

Monday, SUCCESS!

I can't believe I really did this, but I managed to exercise before work knowing I couldn't after. I always think I'll do that, but never actually do. I'm quite proud of myself for following through.

L - peanut noodles with carrots, small handful of almonds, few potato chips, apple
D - rest of the peanut noodles, orange

Did the same 30 minute WATP brisk 2 mile video this morning. Tomorrow is the only night I'll be home this week and I think I'll go for the 3 mile one then.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:52 am

Tuesday, SUCCESS!

B - mini wheats with milk
L - small portion of mac and cheese, mix of almonds and raisins
D - 2 largish pieces buttered rye toast, homemade strawberry banana smoothie

I came home and worked out right away again!! I know I say it everyday, but I remain so proud of myself for doing so well with exercise. It feels really good. I did the WATP 3 mile express video tonight. I'll do pushups and crunches in just a bit. I'm working on the 100 pushups and 200 situps program and am now on week 3 of that. Its kind of fun to see my progress there and am already seeing a tiny bit more definition in my arms. Yay!

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:33 pm

Wednesday, SUCCESS. But it involved eating Burger King for dinner so feels less like one. But it was most definitely only one plate and no sweets were involved so it fits the bill. I guess that's the brilliance -- even when things come up where Burger King is the choice habit can stay intact.

B - cereal with milk
L - apple with about 1.5 ounces of sharp cheddar cheese, tortilla chips, raisins, black olives
D - (with a friend, trying to eat something fast before seeing a show and finding few options) whopper with cheese, most of a small fries

No dedicated exercise, but I did do an extra half hour of walking for transportation so calling it good.

I'm feeling very bleh and bloated today. I know it's the combination of fatty food and way, way too much salt yesterday. I also drank only about 13 cups of water, which is technically fine, but about 6 less than I usually do and I think I feel it particularly acutely in relation to the excessive sodium. Interesting that I even notice this. This is how I always used to feel. This is my old fine and it's not really very good. I'm glad its not my new fine.

Tonight is the Chez Panisse dinner that I originally remembered as last week. I will be having dessert with dinner and a total of three courses. You simply don't skip courses at Chez Panisse -- it defeats the purpose of being there. I would have rather done this on a weekend, but the date wasn't up to me so I shall just go with it and enjoy. It's long been marked as NWS. That was better when I had less failure days, but its still happening and life will go on. And normal eating is required for the other two meals of the day.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:31 pm

Thursday, the planned NWS day.

Dinner was wonderful. Glad I didn't have to pay for it. :)

All courses are fairly small. And quite perfect. And combined made quite the amazing and satisfying meal.

I did my workout yesterday before work. I really don't feel like it today, but think I'll probably do it anyway. I head out of town right after work tonight to see my ailing grandparents. I'll be doing my pushups and crunches on schedule and should be able to take some walks, but normal walks are much less intense for me. There's no reason at all that I can't do NO-S while there, but it'll definitely be much, much harder for me. I'm sure I'm up for the challenge, though.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:21 pm

Well, my already rocky month completely fell apart with the trip to Florida. I'm not too pleased with myself and feeling bloated and fat. My initial response is "this just isn't working," but I think I know its more like "I'm not working this right." I have to exercise some control and stick with the system, which I just didn't do this month.

So, I'm going to try again. Starting today even though it seems easy to say I'll just wait and start fresh with March. That's silly, though, as there's no reason to eat badly for 3 extra days.

I have limited groceries in the house, but have made a plan for the next three days and will do real shopping on Saturday with a full plan for next week's meals. I'll also workout tonight after work and tomorrow before hand, which will also really help me feel better again.

Here's to getting back on the horse....

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:14 am

Thursday, Day 1, SUCCESS!

It wasn't the easiest, but I did it. Actually, it got easier as the day went on.

B - piece of buttered rye toast, serving of irish oatmeal with a little butter and sugar
L - 7 pieces spicy tuna maki roll, 4 pieces inari, pear
D - large bowl of raisin bran crunch with milk and sliced banana

Did the brisk 2 mile WATP with some upper body work. Will do my pushups and crunches in a bit.

Also did great on water.

Generally, I'm feeling really good about my No-S day.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:32 am

Friday, Day 2, SUCCESS!

B - raisin bran crunch with milk
L - small bagel with cream cheese, serving of the irish oatmeal with bit of butter and sugar, banana
D - yogurt, apple, largish piece of pizza, about 1/3 bottle beer

Dinner was in 2 parts because the pizza was at a theatre event where I couldn't reasonably bring other parts of a meal, but I didn't want to go into it totally hungry and eat just pizza for the sake of calories and control.

Did the same 2 mile WATP DVD I've been into this morning before work.

Meals are planned for the weekend and week. I'll do groceries on my way home tonight and be all set for the coming week.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:47 am

Saturday, S-Day. Very in control.

L - boca chicken sandwich on skinny bun with mayo, baked fries with ketchup, dates
S - brownie
D - small bagel with cream cheese, few tortilla chips, banana
S (planned, on a date) - pint of beer

Off on exercise for the day.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:50 am

Sunday, S-DAY. Pretty munchy.

B - banana pancakes with a little cream cheese and raspberry preserves, turkey sausage
L - small frozen pizza, 4 chocolate glazed donut holes (I so love these and seriously doubt I've eaten as few as four in one sitting in my life before so actually felt pretty proud of this)
S - cadbury cream egg
D - (at a theatre event) a bunch of appetizers
S - 7 grain crackers with cream cheese

So it felt very munchy today, but looking at it I see it was still pretty meal based. Not very healthy meals, which might be why it felt that way, but still. Definitely not what one would call a healthy day, but not that ridiculous of an S day either.

Groceries are bought and meals are planned for the week. I'm currently cooking a tourtiere pie (I think I might have pulled the recipe from someone here even) that'll be many of my meals this week. I've never had this before so should be interesting.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:54 am

Monday, SUCCESS.

I had more dental work this afternoon so my mouth is pretty sore again. Sadly, I didn't plan soft food for dinner and am at work til about 10 tonight so am going to go hunt down a smoothie and call it good.

B- raisin bran crunch with milk
L - (out with a colleague) few bites fried italian risotto ball thing, large piece of potato and radicchio pizza (sounds weird, was quite good)
D (planned) - smoothie

Off on exercise today due to the very extended work day.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:08 am

Smoothie tonight was all fruit and 100% fruit juice -- no milk, yogurt, etc. It served me well, but three hours later I'm really, really hungry. I'm seriously considering a glass of milk. Seems like a simple and reasonable solution. I so want to eat something more substantial, but I don't need all that and it'll hurt anyway. So I'm saying its milk or nothing. I'm also taking a few minutes to see if I can wait it out before making a final decision -- hence the extra post. :)

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:24 pm

Well, I held out and didn't have anything more than water last night. So, that was good.

The bad news is the expected news: I didn't lose anything this month; in fact, I gained a pound and a half. The same pound and a half that I lost in February. So I'm even for the year, but not too pleased with myself. I did lose an inch in my waist this month, which is great news and shows exercise is doing something.

I am back on track, though, and just need to stick with it and have a clean and vanilla March (and beyond).

Julie

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:00 pm

That exercise may be adding muscle weight. I've gained a pound this week because I cranked up the exercise. But if you've lost an inch on your waist, you're going in the right direction, right? I mean, if I became more muscular, leaner, and all around more appealing looking, but didn't lose a pound, would I worry?

I would *not*. :)

thtrchic wrote:Well, I held out and didn't have anything more than water last night. So, that was good.

The bad news is the expected news: I didn't lose anything this month; in fact, I gained a pound and a half. The same pound and a half that I lost in February. So I'm even for the year, but not too pleased with myself. I did lose an inch in my waist this month, which is great news and shows exercise is doing something.

I am back on track, though, and just need to stick with it and have a clean and vanilla March (and beyond).

Julie
Kevin

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:30 pm

Thanks, Kevin. That's a MUCH appreciated comment. And, yes, I totally agree -- slimmer and healthier is the idea and measurements are definitely more important than the scale. Although I'd like both to go down. :)

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:53 am

Tuesday, SUCCESS!

B - blueberry muffin
L - piece of tortiere pie (basically ground pork with a little potato and onion in whole wheat pie crust)
D - about an ounce of triple cream cheese, few olives, 7-8 rainforest crackers, strawberries, banana

Did the "brisk" 2 mile WATP video again. It felt so good to be back at it after a few days off.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:12 am

Wednesday - SUCCESS!

B - 2 pieces rye toast with cream cheese, small dish of yogurt with sliced banana
L - piece of tortiere pie, strawberries, 4 almonds (I planned to eat more like 10, but it still hurt too much)
D - very full plate: about 75% of it was mixed greens with few black olives and a little avocado with poppyseed dressing, rest was 7 grain crackers with about an ounce of the triple cream cheese and dates

Did the WATP Walk and Jog video today. It was more intense than the one I've been doing for sure, but I did it and it felt good.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:40 am

Thursday, SUCCESS!

B - mini wheats with milk
L (out at a work lunch) - smallish, very lettucey cobb salad, small piece of bread, large handful of peanuts
D - (out with a friend) - 1/2 plate of restaurant caesar salad, 1 piece deep dish pepperoni pizza

So, some less than ideal stuff today, but I'm still calling it a success. The peanuts at lunch were back at the office immediately after lunch. The salad was just not enough and this was the solution I came up with. I was legitimately hungry and would have eaten fruit or vegetables if I had them, and since it immediately followed the other food I decided to call it ok for the greater good of not forcing a failure for a borderline situation. Dinner was out and obviously caloric, but the fact that I had one piece of pizza, more salad than pizza, and stopped eating before totally full was a major success for me and I'm feeling great about it.

Then, the most amazing success for me, even after being out and eating heavy food I worked out when I got home -- the WATP Walk and Jog video followed by 10 minutes of free weights. I'm so proud of myself for this.

The day was surely high on calories and very, very high on sodium so my weight will surely be up a bit tomorrow (hopefully just a small bit), but I still feel good about today. Perhaps I'm turning a corner?

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:51 am

Friday, SUCCESS! Yay for a week full of those!

L - oatmeal with bit of sugar and butter and tablespoon of slivered almonds, piece of buttered rye toast
D - 1 piece of leftover deep dish pizza, pear

Lots of general walking today, but no dedicated exercise. I'll do something specific tomorrow to make my goal of 4 full days a week.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:11 am

Saturday, S-DAY. Wow, I ate a lot today. But I can't fail on a Saturday. :)

B - small bowl of raisin bran crunch with milk
S - samples of fruit, cheese, nuts walking through the farmers market, small sugared belgium waffle at the farmers market
L - leftover piece of deep dish pizza
S - 2 servings of chocolate covered almonds (really tasty and fresh ones from the farmers market)
D (if you can really call it that) - wheat thins with cream cheese, black olives
S - (at the movies) - movie popcorn, half a chocolate chip bakery cookie

I did stop myself from eating the almonds when I realized I was starting to eat them mindlessly. And I did really enjoy my treats. I did say no to chinese food after the movie so at least SOMETHING was too much. And I don't feel sick, but it's not too far off. But it's an S day after a week of successful N days so the rules say I don't feel bad about it.

I also did do some exercise. I walked for an hour -- not all that fast, but it included some hills which got my heart rate up. I also did 10+ minutes of upper body work. Not that much, I know, but still good I think. And it means I met my goal for exercise for the week.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:17 pm

Sunday, S-DAY. Blech. I ate way too many cookies. And no real dinner making me feel even worse. I'm quite glad it's back to N days today.

For the record and my future memory Sunday was:
B - irish oatmeal, piece of buttered rye toast (good)
L - small piece of steak, baked yukon gold potato with butter and greek yogurt (good)
S - 2.5 bakery cookies (wouldn't 1.5 really have been plenty?)
S - chips and cheese dip (this is the one I really regret and left me feeling really gross)
D/S - (at a theatre event) - crostini with hummus, crostini with chopped liver, plain crostini, 4-5 smallish (2 bite each kinda size) cookies

Looking at this I realize this is what life used to always be like -- if not actually kind of better. Hmmm.... good to see.

Was off on exercise for the day.

Monday's off to a fine start and I'm already feeling a little better for it.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:00 am

Monday, SUCCESS!

I love saying that. And I love how it feels!

B - irish oatmeal
L - steak sandwich (the other part of the steak made yesterday), doritos, banana
D - homemade potato artichoke soup, bread with butter, 1/2 mango

I think this exercise habit might really be sticking. I didn't sleep at all well last night and was out early this morning so feeling so tired plus I was making the soup tonight, but STILL did my exercise. And that's after I'd even given myself permission to miss it with the plan of making it up over the weekend (but with activity that I'll do either way because I'm going away for the weekend). As I was getting home, I thought "Nah, I'll just go ahead and do it. I'll feel better for it." And it's totally true -- I feel so much better for it!

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:18 pm

My inner little kid almost just tricked me into ice cream... but the adult has won! I had (more!) dental work done this morning so, again, my mouth hurts. That brought on the "It hurts. I need ice cream." whining. But I clearly don't. There are other soft things to eat. Like the soup I made last night and brought with me for lunch. It's so much less appealing than ice cream, but so much more appropriate. So that's what I'm about to eat -- because I'm an adult and can make sane and intelligent decisions. And then post about them to help solidify my resolve. :)

Julie

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:56 pm

Those darn little kids, always whining to get their way!

Good for you for standing firm. It's good for them, you know. The less you respond to whining, the less it will happen.

Congrats!

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:30 am

Thanks, KCCC!

I held strong and ate my lunch as planned. And then I ate my dinner as planned. And then I ate a small handful of potato chips, a bunch of olives, and several small macaroons at a theatre event. Grrr.... I'm pretty annoyed with myself. But I did just stop myself from taking a cookie from the freezer on the pretense of "I've already failed so I might as well eat." I literally said "No" out loud, which is actually kind of funny.

I don't want to just gloss over the failure, but I did have 2 major successes today and don't want to forget those either. I guess I chalk it up to continuing to learn and try and make sure tomorrow's a solid green day.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:26 pm

Particularly relevant few lines from today's horoscope that I thought could apply well and actually be taken to heart...

Just think about what you want in your life and go about getting it. Recent bad habits are preventing you from expecting the best of yourself, so add more discipline to your life and say 'no' more often.

Posting it here to remind myself.... exercising more discipline will help me get what I want from my life (at least this part).

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:23 pm

My grandfather died today and its amazing how quickly my mind has gone to sweets. I've otherwise really lost my appetite, but just started craving sugar as soon as I heard the news. It's really interesting how the mind works. Sad=eat sweets. I'm trying hard to resist, though. If I hadn't messed up yesterday, I might have given in and just called this a sick day, but since I did and since this is clearly just emotional eating that doesn't seem ok.

I'm trying to practice that discipline that'll help me reach my goals.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:08 am

I'm going to go ahead and call the day a SUCCESS even though its not even 5:30pm.

B - greek yogurt with sliced banana and grape nuts
L - small handful of almonds, slice of cheese pizza from the nice italian place I love (was supposed to be soup and fruit, but pizza was my compromise with myself to eat something and something "allowed")
D - 1/2 cup grape nuts with milk and honey

I have a piece of fruit on reserve that I'm allowed to eat later tonight if I want. I really don't think I will, but we'll see.

Did 30 minutes strength training stuff this morning. Good thing I got it done then because I don't have it in me to do anything tonight.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:40 am

Thursday, SUCCESS!

L - last of the potato artichoke soup, bread with butter, orange
D - parmesan almond topped halibut, fettucine noodles with parmesan sauce (it was a parm-y kind of night), few craisins

Did the 2 mile WATP video with extra upper body work. I continue to be incredibly proud of myself for keeping up the exercise. It's amazing how good it makes me feel.

Julie

r.jean

Keep walking!!

Post by r.jean » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:54 am

WATP is the best isn't it? I love it. Like you, I add some movements and use heavier weights than they do.
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:58 pm

It really is! They've really helped me totally turn around my exercise pattern. It's brilliant for getting rid of the excuses/problems of not being light enough, not being warm/cool/not raining/etc to go outside without me having to try and afford a gym.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:30 am

Friday, SUCCESS!

B - large bowl of hot grape nuts with brown sugar
L - oatmeal with butter, sugar, and chopped walnuts, piece of buttered rye toast
D - 2 banana pancakes with maple syrup (last of the ones I had in the freezer from the batch I made a month or so ago), almonds, 3 links turkey sausage

It was a very breakfast-y day. I also had an apple planned for lunch, but somehow just never ate it. Not sure why. I see now it was actually a rather sweet day. But allowed so good!

I'm off for the day on exercise.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:13 am

Saturday, S-DAY.

I'm in Monterey for the day and doing Carmel tomorrow. Given it's an S day AND a vacation day I'm feeling quite good about my eating today.

B - (at home before leaving) greek yogurt with sliced banana and grape nuts
L - 2 fried prawns, 1 piece of fried fish (like fish and chips fish), 1 large piece of fried calamari, few fries
S - 2 bites of fudge
S - about 2 glasses worth of wine at a wine tasting, probably something like 40 oyster crackers nibbled during the tasting
S - mini ice cream cookie sandwich made on fresh baked mini nestle tollhouse cookies with mini scoop of dreyers vanilla ice cream
D - salad with greens, warm gorgonzola, few pecans, some sort of sweet chutney, sea scallops with some risotto and few bites of braised celery, piece of fresh bread with butter

So good things I did today: had a healthy breakfast at home before leaving instead of either fast food or doughnuts, not having a "car snack", which would have been ridiculously unnecessary, but very normal practice for me, not finishing my calamari or most of the fries once I hit the point of full, satisfying my fudge craving with 2 bites and then getting rid of the rest, having the mini (about 4 bites total) ice cream rather than full size when I really wasn't all that hungry (which makes sense since I'd had the bites of fudge, crackers, and wine by this point and it was only a few hours after lunch), not finishing my risotto once I was full, not having a second piece of bread even though it was good and I could, ending my dinner with herbal tea rather than dessert when I was totally full.

I did take lemon meyer panna cotta to go so I have the option for real dessert later if I want it, but I'm seriously doubting I will at this point. It's 8:30 and I'm completely full. It's hard to imagine I'll eat again at night. Which is actually a big accomplishment -- in the past I think I wouldn't have been able to imagine not. The buying of the dessert was a vestige of that past -- it was meant to be a treat dinner and not having dessert seemed crazy. Not eating it anyway at the restaurant when Id assumed and planned on dessert is truly a change. Eating two bites of fudge and then tossing it rather than saving it for later is too -- it's more wasteful, which I don't love, but I so think the right choice and I'm proud of myself for it.

I walked slowly throughout the afternoon, but nothing that I'll count as exercise. I'm going to a state park tomorrow, which will include some hiking that will be actual dedicated exercise (plus more casual walking I'm sure).

Also, when I weighed myself this morning I was at the lowest number I've seen in probably 8 years -- finally in the 150's. It's fleeting for now I'm sure and I'll definitely be higher come Monday, but if that's my low that means I'm getting there. It's still very far from where I eventually need and want to be, but getting into the magical lower "decade" of numbers is exciting. I was thrilled to see it hit the number -- I actually weighed twice to make sure the scale would say the same thing and it did!

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:31 pm

Sunday, S-DAY.

B - (at hotel) granola with milk, orange juice
L - (at restaurant in carmel) 3 mini sandwiches (each about 4 bites): shrimp louis, crabmeat, seared ahi (all so so good), french fries with ketchup
S - really lovely and light chocolate eclair from french bakery in carmel
D - fancy cheeses with crackers, almonds, sliced apple
S - the leftover panna cotta (its from a "fancy" restaurant so only about 6 bites big)

Mix of mild and moderate hiking/walking for about 2 hours, with a bunch of stops for scenic viewing plus another 30-40 minutes walking through Carmel. I was definitely tired with sore knees when I was done so feel pretty confident I got in enough to call it real exercise.

EDIT -- I ended up having two bites of the panna cotta and deciding I didn't really like it that much (it was too citrus-y for me). And then I had 2 bites of a chocolate chip cookie I had in the freezer before deciding that I felt done and putting the rest of the cookie back.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:06 am

Monday, SUCCESS!

B - irish oatmeal, 1/2 banana
L - bagel with cream cheese, baked cheetos
D - single serving frozen pizza, unsweetened banana chips

I had an orange with me planned for lunch, but just never got to it again. I thought of it around 4:30 when I was feeling really hungry, but decided to just hold out at that point until dinner.

I'd planned to take today off of exercise, but am thinking I'll try and do some free weight stuff in a bit.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:14 am

Tuesday, SUCCESS!

I was tired and getting home from work late and was thinking I'd skip exercise and eat something less than a "real" dinner as planned, but I didn't. I stuck with the plan and feel great for it!

L - bagel with hummus, goldfish cracker/pretzel combo eaten like chips, banana chips
D - spinach and ricotta tortellini with tomato cream sauce, green salad with carrots and olives in poppyseed dressing, strawberries

Did the 30 minute 2 mile WATP video with extra upper body work.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:20 pm

Wednesday, SUCCESS!

I didn't get home until after 10 so didn't do my exercise. I sort of anticipated it so I should have done it in the morning, but was being lazy and didn't. I will make up the day over the weekend so will still make my goal for the week.

Also, dinner was out at a restaurant with a friend that pretty much only had heavy food. I think I made good choices and most specifically kept it to a plate, that was largely fresh vegetable. Writing it out like that it feels even better!

L - olive farcito (basically long, thin olive bread with a little very yummy salami), strawberries, a whole bunch of banana chips
D - salad lightly dressed in vinaigrette with pecans and raisins, 6 shrimp in thick bbq sauce, large chunk of bread in the bbq sauce, several largish bites of mac and cheese

Julie

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:24 pm

Exercising after 10 o'clock is difficult. I wouldn't call that lazy. And good for you about resisting restaurant food!
thtrchic wrote:Wednesday, SUCCESS!

I didn't get home until after 10 so didn't do my exercise. I sort of anticipated it so I should have done it in the morning, but was being lazy and didn't. I will make up the day over the weekend so will still make my goal for the week.

Also, dinner was out at a restaurant with a friend that pretty much only had heavy food. I think I made good choices and most specifically kept it to a plate, that was largely fresh vegetable. Writing it out like that it feels even better!

L - olive farcito (basically long, thin olive bread with a little very yummy salami), strawberries, a whole bunch of banana chips
D - salad lightly dressed in vinaigrette with pecans and raisins, 6 shrimp in thick bbq sauce, large chunk of bread in the bbq sauce, several largish bites of mac and cheese

Julie
Kevin

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:35 am

Thanks very much, Kevin. It's sometimes hard not to beat myself up when I skip what's planned. Especially because I worry about being too lax and letting my progress slip away.

In fact, tonight I got home at 6 and really didn't feel like exercising. But I did it anyway and am glad for it. I just reminded myself how much better I'd feel doing it than not -- and it worked to get me motivated enough!

Thursday, SUCCESS!

L - tuna sandwich (bought) on rye with cheddar, potato chips
D - wheat thins, an ounce of peppercorn gouda, black olives, apple

I kind of love dinner like I had tonight and letting myself do that rather than really cooking was part of how I convinced myself to exercise. Basically, I could have dinner at the same time AND get my exercise in.

2 mile WATP with extra upper body work was the exercise, by the way.

Julie

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:34 am

Hey! I just logged in this evening and wanted to say I was very sorry to hear about your Grandad passing and send my thoughts and prayers to you. I noticed you posted around a week or so ago so also apologies for not responding sooner, hon.

Take care, Roxy

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:43 am

Thanks very much, Roxy. I really appreciate that.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:39 pm

Friday, SUCCESS.

Major, major success: I went to a bakery this morning to get hamentashen for my staff. I didn't eat anything. I bought a cookie and a couple hamentashen for the weekend and am saving them til then.

I'm not feeling very well. I could so eat my cookies and go to sleep now. Instead, I'll rest some, eat something easy to make that's actual food and fits on a plate, and then sleep early. I'm going to call it exempt for exercise. I've been debating that, but I really feel kind of lousy and want to try and nip it in the bud with as much rest as possible.

B - large bowl of cereal with milk and 1/2 banana
L - leftover tortellini, salad of lettuce, carrots, olives, and light honey mustard dressing
D - TBD, something that takes little effort to make, is warm, and fits on one plate without including any sweets

Julie

r.jean

MMMMMMM

Post by r.jean » Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:20 am

I am not even sure what hamentashen is, but if it comes from a bakery, I probably would like it. :mrgreen:

Great job and enjoy your treat tomorrow!!
Maintenance is progress.

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:00 am

LOL!! I haven't a clue what hamentashen is either but I'm with you on "if it comes from a bakery, I'll eat it! " because I LOVE baked goods!! I figure I'll have to look it up on the web, now.

Meantime, hope you're feeling better soon, Julie. Have a great No S Weekend - that goes for everyone!! :D
No S-er since December 2009
Streamlined S Days: 6/25/12
SW: 170 /CW: 127
Weight loss to date: 43 lbs

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:39 am

I agree with you both -- anything from a bakery is good! Hamentashen is a jewish baked good -- basically a cross between a pastry and cookie with fruit filling. It's traditionally made for the (not very important) holiday, Purim, which happens to be this weekend.

I've eaten way too much and really way too many sweets. Although, I think today is probably a good example of it feeling like too much, but still being much less than a normal Saturday of the past.

B - 1 hamentashen (fairly small ones), 1 black and white cookie (they call it small, but it's fairly large), orange juice
L - irish oatmeal, piece of buttered rye toast, 1/2 banana
S - the other 2 hamentashen
D - 3 steamed pork filled buns
S - too many mini reeses's chocolate/peanut butter eggs

I still have this nagging cold. I'm somewhat better tonight than last night, but still really tired. I did a little cleaning up and a few errands, but mostly have spent the day laying/resting on the couch.

Julie

r.jean

Hope you feel better

Post by r.jean » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:14 pm

It is hard to keep the routine when you are sick. Hope you are well soon!
Maintenance is progress.

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:51 am

Thanks, Jean. I'm definitely feeling better today and am glad for it.

Ate quite a bit again today, but in a less grazy, more planned kind of way.

Brunch (out with a friend) - french toast with raspberries, cream cheese, maple syrup, bacon, mimosa
S - chocolate covered almonds
D - (out again with a friend) chipotle burrito bowl with chicken, chips
S - frozen yogurt with some mini chocolate chips, peanuts, and pieces of oreo mixed in

The frozen yogurt thing was totally a "I can eat this now and can't tomorrow so I should." I wasn't at all hungry and it wasn't really what I even wanted. But it's what I came up with. It was pretty good, but definitely not great.

Meals are planned and groceries are purchased for the coming week. I'm looking forward to another solid N week. I'm also looking forward to a stronger week of exercise after the series of roadblocks that kept me from it the latter part of this week.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:40 am

Monday, SUCCESS!

B - cereal with milk
L - oatmeal with butter, sugar, chopped walnuts, piece of buttered rye toast, banana
D - bagel with cream cheese

I'd planned to have an apple with dinner, but ran out of time before my meeting to eat it. I'd be ok eating it now, but even though I'm hungry I don't feel like it. I think I'm fine just being done so will let that be.

I had an evening meeting, but did 15-20 minutes of yoga when I got home. I just did things I could think of and maybe should have held some poses longer, but it was hard to judge that on my own. I don't really have any yoga videos I particularly like. I could really use a couple 30 minute-ish ones. An hour tends to be long for me when not in an actual class.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:18 am

Tuesday, SUCCESS!

Most of the city I work in lost power for several hours today. Interestingly, most people at the theatre seemed to think this meant it was time to snack. I'm sure I would have too in the past without even noticing it. Now I thought that was kind of weird. Why should no electricity for four hours mean eat m&ms? Somehow it seemed to for most, but I held strong and stayed on track.

B - hot grape nuts, small banana
L - (out, with friends from work during the power outage) prosciutto and arugula on beet infused brioche type roll (really good), apple
D - (cooking now) homemade meatball sandwich on a roll with bit of mozzarella cheese, black olives, grapes

Did the 2 mile "express" WATP video with extra upper body work.

Overall, feeling good. I love that.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:22 am

Wednesday, SUCCESS!

B - cereal with milk
L - (out with a colleague) 1/2 of a 9" very thin pizza with bacon, potato, and ricotta
D - wheat thins with cream cheese, black olives, banana

I'd planned to have another meatball sandwich, but really didn't feel like something so heavy so made a last minute substitution. The meatballs will keep for a few days.

I also really didn't want to exercise tonight, but I made myself do it anyway. I'm feeling very tired now, but happy with my resolve. Did the 2.5 mile WATP Walk/Jog video, and added a little weight for the upper body stuff.

Julie

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:13 pm

thtrchic wrote:I had an evening meeting, but did 15-20 minutes of yoga when I got home. I just did things I could think of and maybe should have held some poses longer, but it was hard to judge that on my own. I don't really have any yoga videos I particularly like. I could really use a couple 30 minute-ish ones. An hour tends to be long for me when not in an actual class.
If you have a laptop or other computer you can SEE while exercising, these are nice:

http://21daychallenge.yogajournal.com/

They are streaming - can't download. But there's a nice variety, and they're free. For evenings when I have NO energy, Kate Holcolmes 20-minute evening sequence is just the ticket. (Week one, day 7 - and other days too, because they repeat segments. Also, don't worry about doing them in order - they don't sequence.)

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:49 pm

Great, thanks, KCCC!

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:56 pm

Failure. And somehow I just don't care. I don't know why. I probably will tomorrow.

I had 2 big cookies from a bakery. And haven't quite figured out what to do about dinner. Perhaps I'll just stick with my original plan of soup and crackers. I'll probably be happier with myself later if I do that.

I'm not sure what's come over me. I'm hoping and planning on being re-engaged in healthiness tomorrow.

Julie

r.jean

Hang in there

Post by r.jean » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:05 am

If you do not let the 2 cookies send you on a binge then it is still a successful day. Sure it is a red day on the habit cal, but it is probably still a better day than in the past. I had a red day yesterday while eating out, but I really felt that I showed pretty good restraint considering how much I used to eat and drink during celebrations. :mrgreen:

I am going to have to find the 2.5 mile WATP walk/jog dvd. Do you like it? It sounds perfect. I do the 2 mile walk some days and the 3 mile walk on other days. I jog rather than walk sometimes, add some arm movements, and use heavier weights to add some challenge.
Maintenance is progress.

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:13 am

Thanks, Jean. I did end up eating a N-Day appropriate dinner: one plate, no sweets. Not the healthiest and out with a friend, but still within the rules. I thought about dessert since I'd "already blown it," but then remembered that this isn't about a day, it's about life. :)

I think I'll be fine being back on track tomorrow. I'm going to try to just not worry too much about today.

I do like the Walk/Jog combo. It's definitely harder work than the 2 mile walk. I like that I can work more intensely, but still keep it to half an hour. Taking the 50 minutes to do the 3 mile is sometimes just too much after work when I still have to make dinner.

I also bought a yoga dvd tonight while browsing Borders with my friend. I decided I've done a good job being pretty consistent so I could have a new video that might open up options. I'll give it a try in the next few days.

Julie

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:59 pm

thtrchic wrote:Thanks, Jean. I did end up eating a N-Day appropriate dinner: one plate, no sweets. Not the healthiest and out with a friend, but still within the rules. I thought about dessert since I'd "already blown it," but then remembered that this isn't about a day, it's about life. :)
Way to get back on track!! (I was - and still am - always so proud when I can halt a slide and turn it around.)

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:08 pm

Thanks, KCCC. I woke up feeling much worse about this, but your post helps me remember the good choices I made in the midst of the bad choices.

So far on track for today so glad to see my lunacy was temporary.

Julie

r.jean

DVDS

Post by r.jean » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:05 pm

Good to hear that you are back on track.

Let me know how you like the new dvd. Now that the weather is nice, I am outside exercising some of the time. However, when it rains or I only have a quick half hour, I like the dvds.
Maintenance is progress.

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:47 am

Thanks, Jean! I'm looking forward to getting outside some too.

Friday, SUCCESS!

B - oatmeal with few walnuts, butter, sugar
L - about 1/4 cup curried chicken salad, goldfish crackers, pretzel baguette
D - boca chicken on skinny bun, few black olives, sliced apple

I'd planned a banana for lunch too, but it got destroyed in my bag. I was fine, though, with what I had. A little hungrier than usual earlier than usual, but made it ok.

Lots of running around today plus grocery shopping and two loads of laundry, but no official exercise. Will do yoga and some weights tomorrow night and walk/jog on Sunday.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:35 am

Saturday, S-Day. A really good one filled with everything I want, but also very in control.

B - 2 pieces of rye toast with cream cheese, bunch of grapes
L (out with a friend) - 2 bread plates: 1 with piece and a half of banana bread french toast with syrup and fresh bananas, 1 with half an omeltte with avocado, bacon, and cheese, some home fries, piece of wheat toast with homemade jam
S - mini chocolate cupcake, about 2 bites
D - (planned) meatball sandwich with the leftover meatballs from earlier in the week
S - mini vanilla cupcake and mini red velvet cupcake, each 2 bites

The cupcakes were from this fancy little bakery we sought on this afternoon. Choosing was hard so I went with the mini ones for variety. I ate one there and saved the other 2 for later. All together I think they're probably about the same as one regular cupcake. The friend I was with got 4 regular cupcakes to eat over the next few days (or couple days?) to solve the same problem. I feel quite good about my decision. I also bought a whoopie pie that's probably about 2.5" in diameter and looks beyond wonderful to have as my treat tomorrow.

Walked outside for about 45 minutes -- about 2.5 miles so not very quickly, but consistently moving. I'll do 15 minutes of upper body weights after dinner to round out the day. Perhaps I'll do yoga tomorrow instead, but it was finally not raining and I really wanted to take advantage of that.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:53 pm

Sunday, S-DAY. According to plan.

B - yogurt with grape nuts and sliced banana
L - baked potato with butter, yogurt, barbecue sauce, handful of almonds
S - the truly wonderful whoopie pie I bought at the bakery yesterday
D - part of a homemade mushroom and olive pizza on whole wheat crust

Took a solid 30 minute walk outside, which definitely got my heart rate up and me sweating some at the hills. It felt nice to be outside.

I have a small piece of the cookie left to have after dinner for my last little bit of weekend sweet. Seemed like a perfect way to stave off the "must eat while I cans" without actually eating any extra. I'm feeling pretty good about this plan at the weekend as a whole.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:59 am

Monday, SUCCESS!

It was a really long and really busy day at work complete with two meetings where supposedly yummy pastries were served. I didn't have any, though. It's Monday, after all and M is not S.

B - cereal with milk
L - peanut butter and banana on challah, ritz chips, apple
D - leftover pizza from yesterday

I'd really like something else now that I'm done with dinner, but that's not how it works. And surely I'll survive without anymore so that's that. Perhaps I'll make some mint tea to add a little more flavor for the night.

Off on exercise for the day.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:42 am

Tuesday, SUCCESS.

Had more dental work (only one more visit after this!) so am yet again in pain. Somehow I didn't realize that would be the case after this visit, but, alas, it is.

B - large bowl of cereal with milk
L - tuna sandwich, ritz chips, apple
D - strawberry banana smoothie (with vanilla yogurt)

The plan is a WATP video (walk/jog was the plan), but I'm really sitting here in pain so don't know. Of course, my legs are fine so it's kind of lame to skip, but it's amazing how draining tooth/mouth pain is. I'm guessing I'm going to just lay here curled up in a ball on my couch. Maybe I'll get lucky and the advil will kick in enough to make me change my mind.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:08 pm

I didn't end up doing any exercise last night, but I DID start my day with it today. The morning stuff is always a truly huge accomplishment for me. I know I won't be home until after 10 tonight so after work just won't work and since Monday was planned off and yesterday was sick off I didn't want to have a third off day in a row. Yay me! :)

Friday will also need to be morning exercise, but I'll do it so that with tomorrow and Saturday I can still hit 4 for the week while leaving Sunday (my birthday!) an off day.

Back tonight to report my food success. I have soft lunch and dinner meals packed so I have no excuses not to make it happen.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:31 am

Wednesday, SUCCESS. More or less.

B - malt o meal made with 2:1 water to milk ratio
L - oatmeal with large spoonful of almond butter, challah with butter, strawberries
D - whole wheat spaghetti with marinara and homemade meatballs, lemon muffin

The muffin is the more or less. I brought a banana and it got totally smashed beyond eating so I went out in search of a replacement and couldn't find any soft fruit, or small salad, or soft bread. So I decided to go with the muffin. It was only slightly sweet and had actual lemon pieces in it. And no frosting or anything making it a cupcake. And it was the best of the soft enough for me to chew options I could find so I'm calling it a success. I very easily could have throw in the towel and gotten ice cream.

As reported this morning, did the WATP walk/jog video this morning.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:35 am

Thursday, SUCCESS!

I'm glad to have finished March on a high note. Really, overall the month went quite well. I had 2 failure days, but both were isolated to one small section of day and were cut off pretty quickly. Neither led to further failure -- even later in the same day. And I didn't have any NWS days. Next month, April, I'll have 3 NWS days and a number of others that'll be harder to resist -- including tomorrow. But I'm looking to see an entirely green and yellow calendar this time next month.

B - malt o meal, 2:1 water to milk ratio
L - whole wheat spaghetti with marinara and homemade meatballs, strawberries, challah with butter
D - yogurt with sliced banana, few crackers

Did 45 minutes of exercise: 25 walking outside including some hills and 20 of strength, mostly upper body, but also a little bit on abs

I'll weigh and measure in the morning and see what the progress is in terms of numbers. I'm definitely down since the beginning of March; the key is to be down since the beginning of February as I actually gained weight during February. I've definitely lost a bit in inches because there's been a change in how clothes fit this month. I've had to retire a few skirts that have been getting loose for a while and now are just too lose and I'm fitting into my "skinny" jeans! They're tight, but wearable. I'm looking forward to continuing this trend and finding them a bit looser soon.

Julie

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:51 pm

So, I'm down just about 2 pounds for the month, and 1/2 pound since the beginning of the year. This is the lowest "official" weight I've seen in years. I've been occasionally hitting up to a pound lower than this, but never for long, which actually makes me feel this is a "real" weight today. So that's good news. I also lost another 2 inches for the month.

Since last April, I've lost about 4 pounds and 6 inches total across waist, chest, hips, thigh, and upper arm (5 of it in waist, hips, chest). The 6 inches part is definitely more impressive to me than the 4 pounds. It's good to see that change. I'd like to see a somewhat speedier weight loss by this time next year, although down is better than up or steady. I'd be very pleased with 12 pounds down for this next year, which would mean a solid pound a month. My birthday is this weekend so it always feels like a good time to take stock. It also feels like a better overall time to measure by since it doesn't immediately follow the holiday season.

It's feeling very weekend-y to me today -- I guess because the month just ended, a show is starting, and I'm moving into birthday weekend -- so I really need to be diligent to stay on track today. So diligence is my plan for the day. And treats are my plan for the weekend. :)

Julie