H G Check-in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Hunter Gatherer

H G Check-in

Post by Hunter Gatherer » Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:22 am

Thursday January 26, 2005

Success

Breakfast- two tasty bread-things (neither sugar-coated nor filled) from the mexican bakery

Lunch- Two rolls, glass milk, one orange. (in a rush) :roll:

Dinner- Crock-pot made hawaiian chicken, all day pinto beans, 1/2 roll

Notes: not enough water (especially at work)

Hunter Gatherer

Post by Hunter Gatherer » Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:06 am

Friday January 27, 2005

Success

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:01 pm

Hi Hunter,

Welcome and good luck!

I bet that Mexican pananderia is fun!!!

Peace,
8) Deb

Hunter Gatherer

Post by Hunter Gatherer » Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:57 pm

Saturday, January 28, 2006

Regular meals with a some choco-cherry cookies and buckwheat bread. (Today was a baking day!)

Sunday, January 29, 2006

Breakfast, takeout chinese food for lunch with more choco-cherry cookies and buckwheat bread, dinner and a little vanilla ice cream.

I escaped most of the bread and cookies by serving them to friends.

Yes, Deb-they're great!

Hunter Gatherer

Post by Hunter Gatherer » Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:24 am

Monday, January 30, 2006

Failure

Breakfast- Skinner's Raisin Bran with extra raisins and some almonds.

Lunch- An avocado, some chicken, buckwheat bread, some scalloped potato, an orange.

Failure- Went to a friend's house and he took me on a tour of his garden. Tasty Fresh Vegetables- How could I resist?

Dinner- Chicken, scalloped potato, buckwheat bread, chocolate milk (adding sugar to milk is no different than adding sugar to coffee, right? right?)

Ah, well.... I'll do better tomorrow.
Last edited by Hunter Gatherer on Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:31 am

Yo! Hunter gatherer...
I can scarcely call eating fresh vegetables a failure.....

Next time just get a bunch and put them onto a plate and you can even add some dressing, and voila! You are not a failure!
LOL.

Peace and Love,
8) Deb
ps.. I am jealous!!!! Wish I had a friend or neighbor I could steal veggies from, just like Peter Rabbit!

Hunter Gatherer

Post by Hunter Gatherer » Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:31 pm

They were still a snack! But no.... I'm not being too rough on myself about it.
They were delicious, I had a fresh carrot, several types of green onion, swiss chard, leaf cabbage, parsley, cilantro, radish pods and a young tender fresh garlic that was so hot and spicy, and yet thouroughly delicious. I still had garlic breath in the morning after I brushed my teeth that night! It went away after I brushed them this morning though. It burned! in a good way.
Hee hee, at a certain point, I just started wanting to take off chunks of plant directly with my mouth! I resisted, but it was hard.

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:57 pm

We-ell, to thy name be true! You just GATHERED the plants up, HG! :D

C.
CaroleJo

Hunter Gatherer

Post by Hunter Gatherer » Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:07 am

I suppose I did Gather them up!

Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Success?

Breakfast: Once again two pastries from the Mexican bakery.... but this time one was much more sugary than I initially thought. And I ate them kind-of separately, one in the car and one at the house. Next time I will get only the one I know is not sugar-coated and bring it home to pair it with a fruit.

Lunch: Scalloped potato, buckwheat bread, nibbles of green onion, an apple, milk (not chocolate) and almonds.

Dinner: A bowl of beans and a chunk of buckwheat bread, followed by half an orange. Dinner was late, and it was hard not to snack, but I managed.

Lots of starch lately (except for my garden binge!) so I guess I should try to round things out.

Plans for tomorrow currently involve cheese (by itself). Mmmm. Cheese.

Hunter Gatherer

Post by Hunter Gatherer » Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:11 am

Wednesday, February 1, 2006

Success?

Breakfast: Breakfast Burrito (tomato, egg, meat), chips and salsa. I ate the chips out of the basket, but I'm pretty sure they all would have fit on my plate if it had been there at the time (maybe would have required some squeezing).

Late Lunch: Breakfast Burrito (tomato, egg, meat), apple. Okay, so the two breakfast burritos used to be one huge breakfast taco split up and consumed at separate times.

Dinner: Chicken, almonds, fresh oatcakes (managed not to eat any right out of the oven, but oh they smelled good), chunk of horseradish-cheddar, glass of milk, lemongrass tea.

Since I felt hungry between lunch and dinner yesterday I'm having a later lunch to match my late dinner. That way things are more evenly spaced.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:52 am

Buckwheat bread and oatcakes both sound fantastic!
Do you make your own? If so, please post your recipe...

Have a nice day!
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

Hunter Gatherer

Post by Hunter Gatherer » Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:52 am

Thursday, February 2, 2006

Success

Breakfast: Three oatcakes, almonds, 1/2 grapefruit, lemongrass tea, milk.
Note: lemongrass tea+grapefruit=nasty but fine separate

Lunch: Big helping of Stoufer's Vegtable lasagna, oatcake, chunk horseradish-cheddar, avocado (mmmm!)
Note: Lasagna kinda boring and the veggies were scarce. I could make something much better (but this was quick). Why do they never use tomato sauce for veggie lasagna? Why must it always be alfredo?

Dinner:The last of the Buckwheat Bread, almonds, one of those big sour pickles like you fish out of the jar at a convenience store, a little chicken (a very little, since it ended up being mostly fat/skin). :?

Yes I made the Buckwheat Bread and Oatcakes from scratch. I got both recipes from America's Bread Book by Mary Gubser. I have had the book for quite a while without using more than one or two recipes (almost exclusively Czechoslovakian Christmas Bread) and I have decided to branch out. Baking with yeast takes a good chunk of time, so I'm reserving those recipes for Saturdays (barring bread emergency). Quick-breads (muffins, scones, oatcakes) are much easier on the schedule so I'm going to start periodically using those recipes during the week (periodically=breadcraving and/or baking muse strikes).

Hunter Gatherer

Post by Hunter Gatherer » Sat Feb 04, 2006 2:21 am

Friday, February 3, 2006

Success

Breakfast: Openfaced toasted cheese sandwich (using horseradish cheddar), almonds, one (big) oatcake, milk, 1/2 orange.

Lunch: Restaurant! Sausage, beef, BBQ sauce, curly fries, tater tots, ketchup (kindof had seconds on ketchup but only because I like to dip, not squirt it everywhere)

Dinner: Dairy Queen grilled chicken salad. Lettuce- not so good, but the quantity of tomato was acceptable.

Hunter Gatherer

Post by Hunter Gatherer » Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:49 am

Saturday, February 4, 2006

Success (It is an S-day after all!)

Breakfast: Umm.... Don't really remember, it was small and I was in a rush, probably orange, oatcake, milk.

Lunch: Ate out with a friend at Olive Garden. Salad, 2 Breadsticks, appetizer (spinach-cheese dip with bread rounds), half of a 5-cheese ziti dish.

Dinner: Went to a friend's house, got served enchiladas, beans, rice. I brought lebkuchen and orange rolls (orange rolls courtesy of America's Bread Book)

S-day treats- lebkuchen, orange rolls.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sunday, February 5, 2006

Breakfast: Last Orange Roll

Lunch: Take-out Chinese Schechuan Eggplant, Mongolian Chicken, Rice, fortune cookie.

Dinner: Potato & Green Bean, Grilled fish.

S-day treats- Lebkuchen, an extra oatcake

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Monday, February 6, 2006

Success

Breakfast: Skinner's raisin bran fortified with almonds and extra raisins.

Lunch: Stoufer's Vegtable Lasagna, orange, avocado.

Dinner: Tangerine, oatcake, milk, Spicy Chicken sandwich from Wendy's

Hunter Gatherer

Post by Hunter Gatherer » Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:29 pm

Tuesday, February 7, 2006

Success

Breakfast: Egg, tomato, beef breakfast taco, chips and salsa

Lunch: Clementine, egg-tomato-beef breakfast taco. (Yes, once again these two tacos were once one larger taco)

Dinner: 1/2 glass Chocolate milk. Nutritious, I know. :roll:

Hunter Gatherer

Post by Hunter Gatherer » Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:31 pm

Wednesday, February 8, 2006

Success

Breakfast: 1/2 egg-tomato-beef breakfast taco, 1/2 bowl skinner's raisin bran fortified with pecans and more raisins.

Lunch: Stouffer's Vegtable Lasagna, tangerine, pinto beans, avocado, piece of bread with almond butter sprinkled with coconut (unsweetened). I was really hungry! Probably from my lousy dinner last night. Plus it was a late lunch. Bad! Pick a schedule and stick with it!

Dinner: Roll, tangerine, handful of pecans, 1/2 glass chocolate milk. Only a little better than last night's dinner, but it's almost bedtime and I don't want to sleep on a heavy dinner.
Last edited by Hunter Gatherer on Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:26 pm

Hi Hunter!
I love Raisin Bran, but haven't bought it much because the brand I love, Kelloggs, is full of additional sugar...
Hey.. What's Skinner's brand like?
Where is it available?
I can't shop in Texas though... That's out!
LOL..
Have a great day!
Any raiding your friends veggie garden today?
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

Hunter Gatherer

Post by Hunter Gatherer » Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:14 am

I like Skinner's a lot. It's not coated in sugar, but I bet it has some.... yep, sugar and malt syrup both listed as ingredients. 13g sugars per serving. Only slightly better than the 19g of sugars in a serving of Kellog's Raisin Bran. The sodium comparison is a lot better though Skinner's=85mg, whereas Kellog's=350mg. It looks like Kellog's adds more vitamins, but they also have less protein (by 1g) and more fat (by .5g).

Anyway.... I find mine in Appletree (what we have instead of Safeway) these days. In the past I've found it at Albertson's and some other places.

According to the U.S. Mills web-site YOU can find it at an A&P, or a Shop Rite.

Hope some of that is helpful. Sorry for the product-comparison ramble.

Hunter Gatherer

Post by Hunter Gatherer » Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:39 pm

Thursday, February 9, 2006

Success?

Breakfast: Skinner's raisin bran, reinforced with almonds and extra raisins (mmm.... iron!)

Lunch: A roll sliced in three pieces, pace picante sauce smeared on top and mozerella over that, then melted. Plus a big sour pickle.

Dinner: Big salad and a cheese sandwich. I actually got tired of chewing the salad before I got tired of eating it. I kept whining "It's so chewy!" :lol: It actually wasn't any chewier than other salads.... I don't know why my mouth threw in the towel.
Last edited by Hunter Gatherer on Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:15 am

Ooooh!!!
Love dem pickles!!!
LOL...

Hunter Gatherer

Post by Hunter Gatherer » Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:49 pm

Friday, February 10, 2006

Success

Breakfast: Homemade vegetable lasagna, 2 tangelos, milk.

Lunch: Wendy's Spicy Chicken Sandwich with a small side of Chili and a root beer. I like how they give you several options for a side insetad of just fries (with the meal deals).

Dinner: Pot Luck! I had a taste of Sweet Potato and Red Pepper soup, and Spicy Thai Soup (or was it hot and sour?) and then a full bowl of a Thai soup that was supposed to be very spicy but wasn't. Bread (several types) and cheese and a bit of carrot and poppy-seed salad. Then I snacked on some trail mix later and had two girl scout cookies with milk at a friend's house.

I swapped today with tomorrow since today was going to be hard to control (pot-luck=loss of willpower) and tomorrow will be more work than play and easier to controll.
Last edited by Hunter Gatherer on Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:52 pm

Hunter,

Looking pretty good here... your one "failure" (at the vegetable garden) was pretty virtuous, as failures go.

I like your suspenseful live updates with the question mark placeholders.

Reinhard

Hunter Gatherer

Post by Hunter Gatherer » Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:32 am

Saturday, February 11, 2006

Failure :( Right after being congratulated too! Curses!

Breakfast: almondbutter and ricotta sandwich

Lunch: almonds, raisins, bread, grapefruit. A nutritionist I know complemented me on my lunch selection of grapefruit and almonds. :D

Dinner: here is where I messed up. I split a steak dinner at a restaurant which meant I got half of a steak, grilled onions and mushrooms, some fries, some salad (with blue cheese dressing), and a slice of orange. I was still kindof hungry, and looking wistfully at the remaining meat on my companion's plate, so they cut off a chunk for me (seconds! horrors!) which I ate (mmm..... meat!).

I didn't feel too bad about it at the time but on Monday I was feeling kindof down about it and consequnently wanted some snacks and sweets (readily available in the workroom!). BUT! I avoided falling into that trap by remembering the strength No-S had given me to resist the same things the previous week, and the good feelings I got from resisting them. I knew I could make it until the next weekend!

Sunday, February 12, 2006

Success!

Breakfast: A piece of bread and half a tangelo.

Lunch: Chicken and dumplings, mashed potatos, green beans with almonds, salad composed of spinach and mandrin orange slices.

Dinner: Cheeseburger meal at Carter Burger (Cheeseburger with pickle, lettuce, tomato, mustard, fries, ketchup, rootbeer)

Snacks: Peanut M&Ms

Monday, February 13, 2006

Success

Breakfast: Skinner's Raisin Bran with added almonds, and a tangelo.

Lunch: One slice of pepperoni pizza, one slice of cheese pizza, one of those peppers Papa John's puts in with their pizzas.

Dinner: Vegetable lasagna, pinto beans, tangelo, 1/4 glass of chocolate milk.

That was a lot of junk food in a short space of time, but last weekend was very stressful on several levels so hopefully that won't happen too often.

Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Success?

Breakfast: Tomato-egg-beef breakfast taco and salsa with chips. (mmm! Salsa!)

Lunch: The other Tomato-egg-beef breakfast taco (really the other half of a huge breakfast taco that I always split up)

Dinner: Vegtable lasagna, pinto beans, chocolate milk

Hunter Gatherer

Post by Hunter Gatherer » Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:19 am

Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Success

Breakfast: Two Mexican Bakery bread-things and a big glass of milk (plain).

Lunch: Skinner's Raisin Bran with pecans

Dinner: Three tangelos and some choco-milk (so much for healthy)
Last edited by Hunter Gatherer on Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:46 am

I didn't feel too bad about it at the time but on Monday I was feeling kindof down about it and consequnently wanted some snacks and sweets (readily available in the workroom!). BUT! I avoided falling into that trap by remembering the strength No-S had given me to resist the same things the previous week, and the good feelings I got from resisting them. I knew I could make it until the next weekend!
That's great HG!!!!!!
Nice flexing of your Willpower muscles!!!!
That is a big triumph..
Avoiding the whole binge cycle... individual screwups can never amount to the kind of damage that occurs with real bingeing...

Have a nice night!
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

Hunter Gatherer

Post by Hunter Gatherer » Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:04 pm

Thanks Deb! I appreciate all your encouragement.

Thursday, February 16, 2006

Success

Breakfast: Salmon BLT with rosemary potatos, one asparagus, one bite of fried chicken, and one bite zuccini (traded some potatos for them). The veggies were great, but my prejudice against the "pollution" of a BLT made me pick off the salmon and eat it separately from the sandwich (but I left on the avocado.... strange). Unless you rember that the avocado is proof that god loves us, while salmon is just a tasty fish, then it all makes sense.

Lunch: Sliced BBQ beef sandwich with pickles and onion.

Dinner: Apple, almonds, onion roll, choco-milk.
"You've been reading about arctic explorers," I accused him. "If a man's starving he'll eat anything, but when he's just ordinarily hungry he doesn't want to clutter up his stomach with a lot of candy."
Dashiell Hammett

Hunter Gatherer

Post by Hunter Gatherer » Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:53 pm

Friday, February 17, 2006

Success?

Breakfast: One and a half bread breakfast pastries from our local Mexican bakery. One was a bit sugary, but no more so than one of those cupcakes disguised as muffins from a store.

Lunch: Vegetable lasagna cassarole with fake-meatballs. Successful resistance of girl-scout cookies.

Dinner: um... actually I don't remember (editing this on Tuesday) maybe nothing.
"You've been reading about arctic explorers," I accused him. "If a man's starving he'll eat anything, but when he's just ordinarily hungry he doesn't want to clutter up his stomach with a lot of candy."
Dashiell Hammett

Hunter Gatherer

Post by Hunter Gatherer » Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:19 pm

Saturday, February 18, 2006 (went a little crazy this weekend)

Success

Breakfast: Vegtable lasagna

Lunch/Dinner: Sloppy Joe! Mmmm!

S: Chocolate Cake (homemade!), Cheesecake (homemade!), sesame candy, tootsie roll

Sunday, February 19, 2006

Success

Breakfast: Roll

Lunch: Sloppy Joe! Mmmm!

Dinner: Chili, Guacamole, chips, cheese

S: cheesecake, chocolate cake, extra helping of chili, key lime soda, one twix stick
Dashiell Hammett

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:56 pm

Unless you rember that the avocado is proof that god loves us, while salmon is just a tasty fish, then it all makes sense.
AMEN to that!

So... are you going to join me in Avocados anonymous then, cos I just can't seem to leave the blasted things alone these days :lol:

C.
CaroleJo

Hunter Gatherer

Post by Hunter Gatherer » Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:34 am

Monday, February 20, 2006

Failure :?

Breakfast: Fine

Lunch: Tasty, but I was unable to turn down the dessert my host made. It wasn't super-sugary, but I think it still counts. Darn. It was good though.

Dinner: Fine

Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Success

Breakfast: Fine

Lunch: Fine

Dinner: Also fine, but maybe a little too close to bedtime.

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Success

Breakfast: The Last Sloppy Joe! (mmmm! tasty!)

Lunch: Cheese orgy! (Three pieces of bread smeared with spreadable cheese (the real stuff, fancy and expensive though it be, not that processed nastiness) and two fresh mozzarella balls (you know, that kind that come imersed in brine. oh baby! soft cheesy goodness!) and a clementine)

Dinner: Baked beans, carrot/sweet potato curry, beef with raisins, bread, clementine, plain yogurt with diced candied ginger in it as a sauce.

Notes: Dinner was a bunch of new recipes that I mostly made up on the fly. They all turned out really well (although they are all somewhat sweet-tasting so next time I'll separate them or make a saltier dish to go along).

Baked beans- Take out leftover pinto beans that have been sitting in the fridge. Drain them and spread them in a square (9X9?) glass pan. Add the tiny residue of maple syrup left in the bottle. Add a couple of glops of Major Grey's Chutney. Stir this around a little. Alternate squirting in ketchup and stirring until it looks about the right consistency (or maybe a little runny, some liquid bakes off). Bake at 350*F (or do like I did and start lower and move up when it just isn't bubbling) stirring occasionally (every 10 minutes or so?). Once they're nice and hot and have cooked down a bit turn off the oven and let it sit a bit until the top crusts up. Or just take them out and serve I guess.

Curried Carrot and Sweet Potato- Peel and cut up a sweet potato (fairly small so it cooks fast). Dump it in a pan with a bag of baby carrots and a nubbin of leftover chopped onion. Cover with water, add a little salt. Boil until soft and squishy. Squish things around until you have mushed most things up but there are still chunks of carrot in there. Cook down if there's a lot of liquid. Take off the stove, stir in some curry powder and serve.

carolejo- Avocados are the fruit of life! There is nothing anonymous about my passionate love for avocados!
Dashiell Hammett

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:49 am

carolejo- Avocados are the fruit of life! There is nothing anonymous about my passionate love for avocados!
Nah. There's nothing anonymous about the rate at which they disappear round here either! :lol:

How about a salad of fresh cherry tomatoes, avocado pieces, mini buffalo mozarella balls and black olives... *drool*

C.
CaroleJo

Hunter Gatherer

Post by Hunter Gatherer » Thu Feb 23, 2006 3:25 pm

Thursday, February 23, 2006

Success?

Breakfast: One and a half pastries from the Mexican bakery. One was kind of sweet, and in addition the sugar from SOMEbody's doughnut kind of stuck to it and I didn't brush it off. :lol:

Lunch: Cheese Orgy II! two mozarella balls, two clementines, roll sliced into four pieces and "buttered" with soft cheese. I had the horrible thought that perhaps my soft, squishy, buttery cheese should be reserved for S-days since I am sure it is calorie rich, but then I decided that cheese is good for you, and it's not like I eat it every day (or is that an argument FOR it being an S-day treat?) it's just that it's been twice in a row this week that makes it seem like a guilty pleasure.

Dinner: Split a 6 piece chicken finger basket from Dairy Queen. They kindof short-changed us on the fries (in my opinion) so it wasn't too horribly huge. Plus I successfully avoided the delicious smelling root-beer that came with it. Root beer! thy name is weekend!
Dashiell Hammett

Hunter Gatherer

Post by Hunter Gatherer » Fri Mar 03, 2006 2:28 am

Wow. A whole week without posts! It has been horribly hectic here, and I am glad I have had No-S to keep me away from the snacks I usually consume during a hectic time.

Friday, February 24, 2006

Failure

Breakfast: success

Lunch: Boo hoo! I left my lovely home-made lunch in the car when I left the car at the mechanic's! No lunch for me!

Dinner: This dinner was supposed to be a celebration that occured on Saturday, but it didn't. It was huge, and might have fit on one very big plate, but only with stacking. Small salad, miso soup 6 california roll pieces, 4 other sushi pieces, rice, chicken, cucumbers with vinegar.

Saturday, February 25, 2006

Success
(but only because it's an S-day)

Sunday, February 26, 2006

Success
(but only because it's an S-day)

Monday, February 27, 2006

Success

Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Success

Wednesday, March 1, 2006

Success

Thursday, March 2, 2006

Success

This whole week has been hideously stressful and not terribly healthy (lots of eating out (junk)). Hopefully things will settle down and I can cook more again. Right now my sink is festering with dishes and my fridge is empty. I am thankful that I have managed to avoid snacking and sodas this week even if I haven't managed to avoid junk food.
Dashiell Hammett

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:22 am

Wow! Sorry about the festering dishes!
And stress is, well, stressful..
But you did pretty darn good for a stressful week if you only have one failure day...
Yo! Save me some sushi!

Hope things mellow out soon!
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

Hunter Gatherer

Post by Hunter Gatherer » Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:45 am

Thanks Deb!
The sushi might be a mite off by the time you come get it..... :P

Thought I'd summarize my success/failure rate for posterity.

January 26-29 (4 days) Success!

January 30 Failure (Snack)

January 31- February 10 (11 days) Success!

February 11 Failure (Seconds)

February 12-19 (8 days) Success!

February 20 Failure (Sweets)

Febrary 21-23 (3 days) Success!

February 24 Failure (More than one plate could hold a.k.a. Seconds)

February 25- March 2 (6 days) Success!

By my rough calculations that is an 88% success rate, 11% failure rate, and... uh... 1% neither success nor failure rate. Or something.
At 4/36 I mess up about once every 9 days (averaged).

Feel free to correct my numbers! :lol:
Dashiell Hammett

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Mar 03, 2006 4:06 am

That's totally human!
Looking good! :wink:
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:46 am

Hey HG, your 'numbers' look a lot like mine!!

Don't worry too much. The main thing is to keep picking yourself up and carrying on.

C.
CaroleJo

Hunter Gatherer

Post by Hunter Gatherer » Sat Mar 04, 2006 2:09 am

Oh, I'm not worried. I just thought it would be fun to figure stuff out. Plus I can use it as a tool eventually to pinpoint my problem areas (looks like seconds so far, but there's really not enough data to be anywhere near accurate).

Friday, March 3, 2006

Success?

Breakfast: I can't remember eating anything. I think I skipped out. In the past during hectic times I have "lost" meals only to replace them with snacks (usually sweet snacks). This has not happened this week, but I have lost a few meals. Thank goodness I made it to the grocery tonight. Hopefully I will have meals now.

Lunch: 1/2 pound of tomato basil salad from Appletree. Not a lot, but I didn't have time OR money this morning. I even almost put half the container back in the break room fridge to finish later (I was running out of time again) but said to myself "Darn it! I REFUSE to have 1/4 of a pound of tomato basil salad ruin my N-day as a snack or second!" and took it to work with me and finished it off.

Dinner: Gyro from the mall food-court. (Remarkably tasty and not too food-court-expensive.) And a small peach/pineapple smoothie (well, they called it regular, but it was the smallest size they offered) which was a little sweet (they used canned fruit and I think they sweetened their yogurt).

Tomorrow is an S-day and I plan on eating a 3# bag of clementines with the help of my friends. Maybe two. Oooh, and ice cream. Mmmm. Dairy products!

Note: As I was shopping in Albertson's I passed the bakery counter, and when the employee behind the counter said "Would you like to try our cookies? They're fresh baked!" (as she hideously pushed the plate toward me) I merely said "No thank you!" and hurried on instead of murmuring "Mmmm. Cookies." and taking a fistfull. They sure smelled good though.

Remember folks "You are pre-disaproved!"
Dashiell Hammett

Hunter Gatherer

Post by Hunter Gatherer » Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:19 am

Saturday, March 4, 2006

Success

Sunday, March 5, 2006

Success

Weekend treats: a frozen snicker's bar, doughnuts for breakfast, Ice cream, and clementines.

Monday, March 6, 2006

Success

Breakfast: ???

Lunch: ???

Dinner: Six inch meatball sub from subway, with jalapenos, green pepper, black olives, tomato, cheese and 1/2 a 5.6 oz bag of Zap's chips.

Tuesday, March 7, 2006

Failure

Brunch: Big plate of General Tzo's Chicken and half a fortune cookie (gave away the other half after someone said "Isn't that an S?").

Dinner: Roll with cheese spread over it, almonds, three clementines.
Dashiell Hammett

Hunter Gatherer

Post by Hunter Gatherer » Sat Mar 11, 2006 3:34 am

Wednesday, March 8, 2006

Success

Breakfast: Breakfast Taco

Lunch: Breakfast Taco

Dinner: Flamekicker Burger from Dairy Queen

Other: Birthday cake, Ice cream and cookies (My Father's Birthday)

Also managed to avoid mounds of cookies in the break-room (they looked so good!)

Thursday, March 9, 2006

Failure

Breakfast: Raisin Bran (Skinner's)

Lunch: Three clementines

Dinner: Cake, Ice cream, caramel sauce, almonds (leftovers from yesterday) Hamburger, french fries, ketchup (mmm! ketchup.)

Other: Looked at scale (with me on it) seem to be losing weight. (3-8 pounds?)

Friday, March 10, 2006

Success

Breakfast: None

Lunch: Breakfast Taco

Dinner: Brisket, pickles, BBQ sauce, onions, hummus, bread

Other: Felt the feeling of fullness at dinner.
Avoided pie, cupcakes, candy and cookies in work-room. Took some of the candy home in my pocket for tomorrow.
Dashiell Hammett

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sat Mar 11, 2006 4:03 am

Go Hunter Gatherer!!!!!

Enjoy your weekend!

Peace and Love,
8) Deb

Hunter Gatherer

Post by Hunter Gatherer » Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:43 pm

Saturday, March 11, 2006

Success!

Sunday, March 12, 2006

Success!

Monday, March 13, 2006

Failure! (First thing in the morning too! How discouraging.)

Breakfast: Mexican bakery, but since it's spring break here and I didn't have to go to work I forgot it was a week day :oops: Got the really sugary baked goods (yummy though). Oh well. I just decided to be good the rest of the day.

Lunch: Kind of big. Got the Fajita Special at a local restaurant. BUT there were enough leftovers for dinner! (GO ME! Stopping before the plate was empty! Who'da thunk it?)

Dinner: Leftovers from lunch.
Last edited by Hunter Gatherer on Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dashiell Hammett

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:30 am

Got the really sugary baked goods (yummy though). Oh well. I just decided to be good the rest of the day.
That totally beats throwing in the towel and making the whole day a washout..
Good for you!!!!
This is what it takes to really succeed!
That mentality!
And congrats on taking some food home for a different meal instead of overeating at lunch! That's great :D

Yay HG!!!

Enjoy your Spring Break!
Peace and Love,
8) Deb
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

Hunter Gatherer

Post by Hunter Gatherer » Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:32 pm

gratefuldeb67 wrote: That totally beats throwing in the towel and making the whole day a washout..
My feeling exactly! It worked too, and today I feel good.

Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Success

Breakfast: Two less sugary (well okay, they were toward the middle of the sugar scale but much better than yesterday's which involved icing) breakfast pastries from the Mexican Bakery

Lunch: Chicken and ketchup.

Dinner: "Russian" Chicken Salad and pumpernickel bread.

"Russian" Chicken Salad (I put it in quotes because it doesn't have enough sour cream and melted butter to be real Russian cuisine)

Shred some baked chicken (leftovers usually). Add a can of peas (drained) and a can of black olives (drained). Add some cottage cheese. Stir together and you're done. This mix is kind of dry. I've used plain yogurt before and that turned out well.
Last edited by Hunter Gatherer on Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dashiell Hammett

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:22 pm

That's really the amazing thing I have experienced here with NoS...
Even on my most "bleeped" up days, I don't tend towards going into full on binge for days mode... Which used to be binge for months mode...
We learn to associate overeating/oversweeting, with a bad feeling when it's not an S day, and learn to like having good days..
It's a very proactive plan and works in our favor!
And this board is pretty cool, as Reinhard has mentioned in the past, for accountability and the times when we need a little outside support!

Yay us!!!
And thanks to Reinhard again!
I am forever indebted to this program and him!

Glad you picked right up and turned yourself around in the right direction!
That Mexican bakery!!!! :twisted:
Pure evil!!!!
LOL...
Just kidding :)
Did you ever have "Conchas"?

They look like they'd be tasty!

Have a great afternoon HG!
Peace,
8) Deb

Hunter Gatherer

Post by Hunter Gatherer » Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:59 pm

Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Success

Breakfast: Breakfast taco and chips with salsa.

Lunch: Breakfast taco and handful of almonds.

Dinner: Russian Chicken Salad and Bread again
Dashiell Hammett

Hunter Gatherer

Post by Hunter Gatherer » Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:37 am

Thursday, March 16, 2006

Success

Brunch: Heaping plate of pizza. (It was a buffet. :oops: Weakness, thy name is Variety!) However, I only had the one plate, and when I started feeling full I slowed down and eventually stopped instead of feeling the need to finish it off.

Dinner: Sourdough roll with olive oil and basalmic vinegar for dipping. Salad (lettuce, carrot bits, pepper, no dressing). Seven pesto ravioli. Yummy.

Non Funny Stuff (Okay, funny "ha-ha" but not funny "failure!" type stuff)
I have been consuming a lot of "smell-ories" lately. You know, sniffing candy wrappers, that sort of thing. I'm also getting the "Weekend! Come to me!" feeling. I bought something today for two days from now. Then I handed one to someone and watched them eat it. Then I sniffed the wrapper. Getting kinda crazy over here.
Remember folks, no matter how many calories something has, it has ZERO smell-ories!
Dashiell Hammett

Hunter Gatherer

Post by Hunter Gatherer » Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:41 pm

Friday, March 17, 2006

Success?

Breakfast: Sausage Mcgriddle and a sausage biscuit.

Lunch: Russian chicken salad and white bread with a big glass of orange juice.

Dinner: Open faced crunchy peanut butter sandwich with sliced fresh strawberries on top, choco milk, dried apricots and more fresh strawberries. Nummy.
Dashiell Hammett

Hunter Gatherer

Post by Hunter Gatherer » Sat Mar 18, 2006 3:47 pm

Saturday, March 18, 2006

S-day Woo hoo!

Candy! (Seems kinda contradictory to my sig. I know)
I had one of my Obleas (those things I bought two days ago, mentioned in a previous post, now I no longer have to merely watch and smell). Tasty! I may have another soon....
Dashiell Hammett

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sat Mar 18, 2006 6:53 pm

HG,
You should just add a post script to your quote that says "Except on Days that start with S"!
LOL...

Enjoy your treats!!!
Woo hoo!
Party!!!
S days make you feel like a kid at a birthday!!! :lol:

Peace and Love,
8) Deb

Hunter Gatherer

Post by Hunter Gatherer » Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:56 pm

Sunday, March 19, 2006

Success

S-day!

Monday, March 20, 2006

Hooray for N-days!

Success?

Breakfast: Two rolls (small)

Lunch: $0.30 bag of Lays Classic chips, BBQ chopped beef sandwich, grapes, cantalope, Strawberry milk without the pink food coloring.
(Saga of the Strawberry Milk: I was going to get a regular milk but I saw this "regular" milk in a Strawberry milk container. "Hmm...." I thought. "Wouldn't it be fun to drink regular milk in a Strawberry milk container?" Look at the price. (same price) Buy the "regular" milk. Lunchtime comes. Start drinking the milk. "Hey! This is Strawberry milk!")

Dinner: Peanut Butter Sandwich (small), bowl of skinner's raisin bran with extra raisins, glass of juice that I found out was mostly sugar :(
Last edited by Hunter Gatherer on Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dashiell Hammett

Hunter Gatherer

Post by Hunter Gatherer » Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:56 pm

Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Success?

Breakfast: Spicy Chicken Sandwich from Wendy's, 1/2 ceasar side salad, some root-beer.

Lunch: 6-inch subway roast beef sandwich, pretzels

Dinner: Spagetti from Fazoli's

It was a fast-food kind of day.
Dashiell Hammett

Hunter Gatherer

Post by Hunter Gatherer » Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:18 pm

Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Success?

Breakfast: Two Mexican bakery goodies. (non-sugary)

Lunch: Two hot-dog buns and some dried apricots

Dinner: Boul of dinner-mixture (name to be determined) and a hot-dog bun

Dinner mixture: Ground beef, 1 broccoli crown (stems included but sliced thinly), 1 turnip, 4 roma tomatos (fresh), jalapeno (fresh), 1 can small black olives, garlic powder, and the secret ingredient (ketchup)
Last edited by Hunter Gatherer on Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dashiell Hammett

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:47 am

Okay Hunter, is today a success or what???
LOL...

I was wondering if you ever have tried to make your own flour tortillas?
I bought some wraps to make fajitas tonight, and they were all stuck together and ripped when I tried to separate them!!! Rah!!
They didn't really taste that great either.. I imagine it can't be that difficult, but then again, I don't want to have some weird pancake-like thing and a lot of messy stuff all over my kitchen!
(Wait too late for that! LOL..)
I thought I'd ask you since you are a Texan!
So close to Mexico!!!
Arriba!!!

Hope you had a great day :)
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

Hunter Gatherer

Post by Hunter Gatherer » Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:28 pm

They don't look difficult to make, but I myself have never made them (maybe someday soon!)

Thursday, March 23, 2006

Success

Breakfast: Two hot-dog buns with peanut butter, big glass of milk

Lunch: Sliced BBQ sandwich with pickles and onions.

Dinner: Vegtable soup (homemade but not by me) two slices wheat bread, some butter.

I want candy. Or ice cream. Or candied ice cream. Or ice cream with candy in it. I was scouting the Ben & Jerry's earlier this week. "Oh.... which flavor will I have this weekend? A type I haven't tried before perhaps?"
Last edited by Hunter Gatherer on Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dashiell Hammett

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:38 pm

Will you please eat a hot dog with those buns already!!! :lol:

You are on a serious bun kick!
LOL... :wink:

Have a nice day Hunter!
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

Hunter Gatherer

Post by Hunter Gatherer » Tue Mar 28, 2006 3:03 am

Wow, it's been a while

Friday- Success

Saturday- Success

Sunday- Success

Monday, March 27, 2006

Success

Breakfast: Spicy Chicken sandwich from Wendy's, 1/2 small chili, root beer

Dinner: Hummus with lemon, tortilla chips, gouda cheese, salad, lobster. Successfully resisted delicious chocolate cake (mom's birthday, had some yesterday).

Notes: I felt really glad that today was an N-day. I kind of over-ate and over-sweeted all weekend.
Also, someone told me they thought my arms were getting less lard-y (my word, they were much more tactful).
Aaaaand, I weighed myself, and I am down 5-10 pounds from my starting weight (yay!).
Dashiell Hammett

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:11 am

Hey! That's fantastic news about the weightloss and all.

Go you! :D

C.
CaroleJo

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:02 pm

Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Great news Hunter!!!!!
Wooo hoooo!!!!!!!

Rock on you Mexican pastry hot dog bun eating winner!!!!!
I'm really happy for you!!!
Love,
8) Deb

Hunter Gatherer

Post by Hunter Gatherer » Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:17 am

Tuesday

Success

Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Success

Breakfast: Frito Burger from Dairy Queen (still on hideous fast-food kick)

Lunch: Skinner's raisin bran with a big handful of almonds and some dried apricots.

Dinner: Potato-turnip-onion-jalapeno au gratin, 2 avocados (the cult of the avocado), summer sausage.

Thanks guys! It feels great too!
Dashiell Hammett

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:03 pm

Oooh!
Your dinner sounds great!!!
Have a nice day HG!
Love,
8) Deb

ps.. fast food kicks can't last for too long.. just no sodas! LOL...

Hunter Gatherer

Post by Hunter Gatherer » Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:56 pm

Thursday, March 30, 2006

Success?

Breakfast: Skinner's Raisin Bran with extra raisins and some almonds.

Lunch: Kung pao chicken with fried rice and an egg roll.

Dinner: 1/2 kaiser roll with chunky peanut butter and dried almonds, leftover au gratin stuff

My schedule has been out of whack lately, causing me to eat out more (more expensive, less nutritious, but also less time consuming). Bleah! Come back home cooked meals! Come back!
Dashiell Hammett

Hunter Gatherer

Post by Hunter Gatherer » Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:54 pm

Friday, March 31, 2006

Success

Saturday, April 1, 2006

Success

Sunday, April 2, 2006

Success

Monday, April 3, 2006

Success

Tuesday, April 4, 2006

Success?

Breakfast: ???

Lunch: ???

Dinner: ???
Dashiell Hammett

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:46 pm

Successes are running rampant on HG's checkin!!!
Woo hoo!!!!

Hey HG..
How's it going down there in Tejas-town?
Any raids on your friends veggie garden these days? :wink:

Enjoy Spring!
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

pangelsue

V for Vendetta

Post by pangelsue » Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:05 pm

Your meals sound exactly like my daughter's. I always laugh when I hear what she throws together. Her father and I have to plan every meal like it's our last and we NEED to know ahead of time what we will be eating. She just goes for it and eats what appeals and is handy. I often wish I had that freedom and daring.
By the way, I read your comments on V for Vendetta and replied. I want to know how the pulp fiction version ended. I liked the movie very much and went to see it twice which for me is quite rare. Too expensive to see on the big screen twice but I had to know if my first reaction to cry through parts of it was just that particular mood that day or if it would happen again. If anything it was worse because I wasn't waiting for the plot to unfold. Hard to believe it was written so long ago. Seems like it was talking about today's headlines.

Anyway, my spaghetti awaits but actually a peanut butter sandwich sounds better. Maybe I will dare to veer from the plan and live without fear..........

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:02 am

How bout spaghetti with peanut butter sauce?
Then just sprinkle in a little hot chili oil and you have fake Szechuan peanut noodles! :)

Love,
8) Deb

Hunter Gatherer

Post by Hunter Gatherer » Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:09 am

Unfortunately, no garden raids for me! Other than that things are going well. I've been walking home from work a lot lately (about 3.3 miles). Plus, one night my Aggie ring fell off while I was asleep, which I take as a symptom of thinness. It is getting warm though. Soon walking won't be as much fun. It's already sweaty.

Um, if you're planning on reading the graphic novel (which I highly recommend) I don't want to give away any surprises. They cut a lot of characters and sub-plots to make the movie more marketable and condensed. The graphic novel is also a little darker, and there's no love story (adding that part made me shake my fist and say "Hollywood! Get your finger out of my movie!")

Wednesday, April 5, 2006

Success (but a flimsy one)

Breakfast: Fast food

Lunch: A roll (this is almost a snack, and part of why I count today as only a partial success)

Dinner: Onions with beef chipole alfredo sauce, bread, cantalope (mmm... cantalope!)
Dashiell Hammett

pangelsue

V

Post by pangelsue » Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:34 am

I will look for the graphic novel although in our little town that may prove a challenge. I am glad the love story was not in the novel because that was the cheesiest part of the movie. I personally liked the policeman the best. His commentary and growth throughout was fascinating. Is the prison bit in the novel? Loved that. It reminded me of a story about Merlin. He was in prisoned in a dark cave and spent a lot of time trying to figure out how to fool the guard and make an escape. He tried all sorts of elaborate plans. He couldn't succeed and one day in sheer frustration, he started trying to dig to the surface by clawing at the ceiling of his prison. He discovered that the ceiling was only a few inches thick and that he had the means for escape all along. I think of that story often whenever I feel trapped by something. But this is not the forum for this. Sorry for digressing.

I showed my daughter your logs for meals and she laughed too. She said, it sounds just like me. You're having success. Continue as you are doing. Don't argue with lost pounds. With sticky summer also comes fresh fruits and vegetables. I can't wait for that. Very tired of dried fruit, grapefruit and apples. Can't wait for melons, berries and peaches.

Hunter Gatherer

Post by Hunter Gatherer » Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:00 pm

The policeman is a major character in the graphic novel, although they altered him slightly for the movie, they didn't change him much. The prison part is pretty much straight from the original, so no worries there. Glad you didn't like the cheesy romance either.

Thursday, April 6, 2006

Success?

Breakfast: Skinner's Raisin Bran with added almonds, cantalope, bread

Lunch: Skip (Bad!)

Dinner: Chipotle beef alfredo sauce with onions over bread, lemon beef, cantalope, BBQ potato chips. Yes it all fit on the plate. I just had to squish it a little.
Dashiell Hammett

Hunter Gatherer

Post by Hunter Gatherer » Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:57 pm

Friday, April 7, 2006

Success?

Breakfast: 2 bread-things from the Mexican bakery, cantalope, choco-milk, BBQ chips. It was big, but I was hungry and it all fit on one (large) plate.

Lunch: 1/2 $0.99 frozen pizza, one serving frozen mashed potatos, choco-milk

Dinner: Chipotle Beef alfredo over a roll, cantalope, almonds.

I am looking forward to tomorrow (or "Ice-cream day" as I am currently calling it). Also the refrain "Candy, candy, candy" keeps going through my head. It's amazing how with no-s it has become safe to have candy in the house. I just don't eat it. Of course this may come around to bite me later. But for now I feel secure in my will power.
Last edited by Hunter Gatherer on Sat Apr 08, 2006 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dashiell Hammett

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:32 pm

Hi Hunter!
That Mexican Bakery is becoming a torture for me to hear about! LOL... :wink:
Chipotle Beef Alfredo sounds great!
I never heard of Lemon Beef though..

Enjoy Ice Cream and Candy Day!
Woo hoo!

Peace and Love,
8) Deb

Hunter Gatherer

Post by Hunter Gatherer » Tue Apr 11, 2006 3:10 am

"Little Bakery of Horrors"? I dunno.....

The lemon beef was an invention of my own and although I liked it, the reception was not such that it will be repeated any time soon.

Saturday and Sunday were sugar-fests, but valuable learning experiences none the less, and S-days so perfectly legal.

Monday, April 10, 2006

Success

Breakfast: Pad Thai, though I took some home in a box.

Lunch: Rice and some Persian dish containing beef, beans, and (a) green vegetable(s) of indeterminate origin.

Dinner: Big turkey salad sandwich and a bowl of Skinner's raisin bran with added raisins.
Dashiell Hammett

Hunter Gatherer

Post by Hunter Gatherer » Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:34 am

Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Success

Breakfast: Chips and hot sauce, 2 green enchiladas, beans, rice.

Lunch: Two hot dog buns worth of peanut butter and honey sandwich, big glass of milk

Dinner: Turkey and tomato sandwich on jalapeno cheese bread.
Last edited by Hunter Gatherer on Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dashiell Hammett

Hunter Gatherer

Post by Hunter Gatherer » Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:25 pm

Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Success

Breakfast: Chips and salsa, breakfast taco.

Lunch: Bowl of Skinner's Raisin Bran with extra raisins.

Dinner: Breakfast taco.

So I was reading JWL's log and I agree with Deb that they need a buffalo wing flavored cough syrup. A slew of nasty flavors could be covered up by the heat.

Also, check out this dessert description found on this site. "DeBarr also knows how to use cheese in unexpected ways. He stuffs Steen’s-cane-syrup-topped French toast with chocolate and gjetost, a Norwegian goat cheese that tastes like sweet caramel with a hint of sourness. One night, a friend of mine took a bite of the French toast. She vowed to eat no more so that she wouldn’t forget that first taste. After a few minutes of resistance, she dove back in and ate half the dessert."

I want some of that! I love gjetost!
Dashiell Hammett

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:36 am

Whooo!

*salivates*

C.
CaroleJo

Hunter Gatherer

Post by Hunter Gatherer » Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:16 am

Doesn't it sound great? I'm almost tempted to try and make it myself, but I have so many questions- Is the cheese inside? If so, how are you supposed to insert it? Is it just on top? after cooking or during? Melted, grated, sliced, what? *Grumble*

Thursday, April 13, 2006

Success

Breakfast: Eggs, bacon, hash brown, toast, grape jelly, ketchup.

Lunch: Cheese between two big slices of jalapeno cheese bread

Dinner: Medium popcorn chicken from Dairy Queen, honey mustard, ketchup, pickles.

Weekend! Come to me! I demand Ice Cream!
Last edited by Hunter Gatherer on Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dashiell Hammett

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:53 am

Hi Hunter Gatherer!
Too bad you couldn't partake in an honorary Passover party! I mean we are all just one big family anyway right!?
Then you could have some ice cream tonight! :P

Hope you are well!
Love,
8) Deb

Hunter Gatherer

Post by Hunter Gatherer » Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:59 pm

Friday, April 14, 2006

Failure

Planning to spend the day at a friend's house, so who knows how successful I will be. I am going to go with the flow.

Breakfast: 2 little rolls with peanut butter, one without.

Funny Stuff: Slim slice of "tomato soup cake." If it had been chocolate cake I could have resisted, but when will I again have the chance of trying a "tomato soup cake"? It was pretty tasty. Gingery. No tomato taste. Probably in there for the texture.

Lunch: !/2 chopped beef sandwich, 1/2 cheeseburger.

Dinner: Choco-milk, three little rolls.
Dashiell Hammett

Hunter Gatherer

Post by Hunter Gatherer » Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:39 am

Saturday- Success

Sunday- Success

Monday, April 17, 2006

Success?

Breakfast: 1/2 bagel with cream cheese, some granola.

Lunch: Meat/tomato/rice/onion thing.

Dinner: BBQ with bread, pickles and onion. Mmmm.
Dashiell Hammett

Hunter Gatherer

Post by Hunter Gatherer » Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:11 pm

Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Success

Breakfast: Breakfast taco, chips, salsa.

Lunch: Breakfast taco.

Dinner: Skinner's Raisin Bran.
Last edited by Hunter Gatherer on Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dashiell Hammett

Hunter Gatherer

Post by Hunter Gatherer » Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:52 pm

Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Success?

Breakfast: Oatmeal with milk, plain yogurt, and peanutbutter, three slices of cheese. It took a long time to eat this because it was very filling

Lunch: Choco-milk, 2 rolls

Dinner: vegies
Last edited by Hunter Gatherer on Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dashiell Hammett

Hunter Gatherer

Post by Hunter Gatherer » Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:41 pm

Thursday, April 20, 2006

Success?

Breakfast: Let us by all means increase the ads for cheese by admitting that for breakfast I not only had strawberries, but a slice of cheese toast. Cheddar to be exact.

Lunch: Turkey, cheddar, black pepper brie, zuccini, yellow squash, tomato stuff.

Dinner: Grapple, choco-milk (they were kinda separated, might be a snack infraction....)
Last edited by Hunter Gatherer on Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dashiell Hammett

Hunter Gatherer

Post by Hunter Gatherer » Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:04 pm

Friday, April 21, 2006

Success?

Breakfast: Granola and a roll.

Lunch: Veggie/ cheese/turkey stuff (not so good cold), challah, orange.

Dinner: 1/4 of a pizza

Tomorrow is Ice-cream day!
Dashiell Hammett

Hunter Gatherer

Post by Hunter Gatherer » Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:22 pm

Saturday-Success!

Sunday-Success!

Monday, April 24, 2006

Success?

Breakfast: Bowl of honey gone nuts granola enhanced by some walnuts, a cheese bagel

Lunch: Cheese bagel.

Dinner: Salad, steak, bread, grapes.
Dashiell Hammett

Hunter Gatherer

Post by Hunter Gatherer » Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:40 pm

Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Success?

Breakfast: Cantalope, grapes, challah, and some granola with added walnuts before I noticed little weevil corpses floating in my milk. Eeeeew! So, um, I threw that away and made do with my fruit and bread.

Lunch: Home-made pizza roll (a little doughy) and cantalope.

Dinner: Home- made pizza roll, texas caviar (not home made so a little expensive) potato chips (cajun crawtator flavor!). There was no plate so I can't be absolutely sure it all fit......
Dashiell Hammett

Hunter Gatherer

Post by Hunter Gatherer » Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:07 am

Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Success?

Breakfast: Apple

Lunch: (scrounged from the break-room at work), pita chips, a muffin that turned out to be entirely too cake-y for my peace of mind, and a sheet of matzoh. Choose Carbs!

Dinner: "Enchiladas" homemade but not by me! Yay for not having to cook!
Dashiell Hammett

Hunter Gatherer

Post by Hunter Gatherer » Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:30 pm

Thursday, April 27, 2006

Success?

Breakfast: Skinner's raisin bran.

Lunch: Skip! Bad!

Dinner: Indian food! Good!

I have decided that we will have Pudding Day in lieu of Ice Cream Day this weekend. Chocolate pudding, Butterscotch pudding, Vanilla pudding, Rice pudding, Tapioca pudding, Flan (not really a pudding, but so what?)...... Pudding!
Dashiell Hammett

Hunter Gatherer

Post by Hunter Gatherer » Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:57 pm

Friday, April 28, 2006

Failure (oh, well not a big deal, I've been mostly good lately)

Breakfast: Quesadilla

Lunch: "Enchilada" leftovers and cantalope

Dinner: Salad, lasagna, and garlic bread, THREE glasses of wine (wow!), and a slice of chocolate dessert. <---FAILURE

It was a family get together, and I didn't want to stick out and spoil other people's fun by refusing.

Tomorrow is still pudding day! PUDDING!!

Hee, you got to my entry before I edited it Deb! Sometimes when I get online before breakfast I enter it all as "???"

As a side note, the other day I was looking at myself in the reflective glass windows of my workplace as I passed them, and I thought to myself "Day-um, I look good!" (in comparison to previous you know) I keep meaning to weigh myself, but I don't own a scale, and when I am at a place with a scale I keep forgetting. Is this some psychological block, or actual forgetfulness?
Last edited by Hunter Gatherer on Sat Apr 29, 2006 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dashiell Hammett

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:29 pm

Hi Hunter!

????????????????????????

LOL...

Love,
8) Deb

Hunter Gatherer

Post by Hunter Gatherer » Tue May 02, 2006 1:18 pm

Monday, May 1, 2006

Success

Breakfast/Lunch: Celery walnut soup, bread, chocomilk.

Dinner: Steak, bread, ketchup.
Dashiell Hammett

Hunter Gatherer

Post by Hunter Gatherer » Tue May 02, 2006 1:19 pm

Tuesday, May 2, 2006

Success

Breakfast: Skinner's Raisin Bran

Lunch: Fajitas, chips and hot sauce.

Dinner: steak and orange juice
Last edited by Hunter Gatherer on Wed May 03, 2006 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dashiell Hammett

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue May 02, 2006 2:22 pm

Hi HG!
Have a great day!!!
Celery walnut soup sounds very interesting!
Is it a blended cold soup?
Let me know how you make it.. I bet its really healthy!
See you later!

Peace and Love,
8) Deb

Hunter Gatherer

Post by Hunter Gatherer » Tue May 09, 2006 4:03 am

I got the Walnut soup recipe from the stumpuous page on anti-oxidants.

Been gone for a few days (out of town) had a few slip ups (nothing like a "vacation" to mess you up eh?) but nothing too serious. Back home and ready to get back to the usual.
Dashiell Hammett

Hunter Gatherer

Post by Hunter Gatherer » Tue May 09, 2006 10:53 pm

May 9, 2006

Success

Breakfast: Little bit of leftover steak (Proteeeeein! Come to me!) Bowl of skinner's raisin bran with strawberries cut up on top. Mmmm!

Lunch: Little bit of steak, little bit of yellow squash, some walnut celery soup, a slice of bread (wanted two, but refrained).

Dinner: Raisin cinnamon bagel, blueberry bagel, a bowl of luscious cool (not cold) pineapple- sweet and delicious, with some chile sauce (chemical and sweet) milk and some salty snack bits.
Dashiell Hammett

Hunter Gatherer

Post by Hunter Gatherer » Wed May 10, 2006 10:02 pm

Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Success

Breakfast: Blueberry bagel, orange juice.

Lunch: Raisin bagel, milk, tangelo.

Dinner: Turkey and tomato sandwich, honey and peanutbutter sandwich.

May or may not have lost an additional 5#, bringing the total to 15#.
Dashiell Hammett

Hunter Gatherer

Post by Hunter Gatherer » Thu May 11, 2006 2:02 pm

Thursday, May 11, 2006

Success?

Breakfast: Plain bagel.

Lunch: Pineapple, plain bagel, cheddar cheese, orange juice.

Dinner: Turkey tomato sandwich, honey dried apricot sandwich, some Garbanzo Con Chile y Limon (snack food! yum!)

When I bought the pineapple (was it only yesterday?) I also bought a bag of licorice bites which I am saving for the weekend.

Thanks Deb!
Last edited by Hunter Gatherer on Fri May 12, 2006 3:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dashiell Hammett

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu May 11, 2006 2:15 pm

May or may not have lost an additional 5#, bringing the total to 15#.
That's awesome!!!!!
Congratulations!!!!
Love,
8) Deb

Hunter Gatherer

Post by Hunter Gatherer » Fri May 12, 2006 3:43 am

Thanks Deb (guess I should thank you below your comment instead of above it eh?).

Anyone remember when the main worry was being too skinny? I don't. Too much a child of our priviledged society. But it wasn't so long ago. I was reading The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett yesterday and ran across this quote.

"She looks rather like you, Mary- not as you look now, but as you looked when you came here. Now you are a great deal fatter and better-looking."
Dashiell Hammett

pangelsue

Love your freedom

Post by pangelsue » Fri May 12, 2006 11:36 am

I LOVE the freedom of your choices Hunter. I plan my menus and they are good and well rounded but boring when I read all the interesting stuff in your thread. My daughter and I were discussing food choices the other night and I said I can't imagine a day where I just ate whatever came to mind. Breakfast is always breakfast food and planned, lunch is by necessity brown bag and usually planned supper is supper food and planned two weeks in advance. How's that for anal retentive. It is little spooky to me that if I had a day like you do where I decided to just create what my meals are made of as I go along, it would be very unsettling. Probably means I should do it post haste. You sound like a free spirit and I really admire that. Maybe I will do an unplanned day next week. Start small.... LOL. Have a great day and keep on looking at the new reflection.

Hunter Gatherer

Post by Hunter Gatherer » Fri May 12, 2006 4:36 pm

Thank you pangesue! Sometimes I wish my style were a little more structured (i.e. when I find that canned beans are about all I have in the house. And I don't want canned beans for breakfast!)

May 12, 2006

Success

Breakfast: pineapple, skinner's raisin bran.

Lunch: Oyster po-boy, onion rings and 12 raw oysters (kind of as an appetizer, but oysters are small they would have fit on the plate if I made them)

Dinner: ???
Dashiell Hammett