Tobiasmom's Journey

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:05 pm

Wow on the exercise. You continue to do a great job getting it in. I do not know how you exercise at night though. That would keep me awake.
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:46 am

Hi Tobiasmom! Just popped in to say you're doing fab and to wish you All the best with the church visit tomorrow too.
No S-er since December 2009
Streamlined S Days: 6/25/12
SW: 170 /CW: 127
Weight loss to date: 43 lbs

Joyofsix

Post by Joyofsix » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:25 am

You did really well! Good luck with the church visit.
Lisa, mom to 7

tobiasmom

Sunday

Post by tobiasmom » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:30 pm

Hey, all! Friday and Saturday were S days.....and sane ones! I had some cookies each day for a snack but otherwise ate my three meals. I like to keep that habit every day! So today's an N day for me.

Today (I've already lost count of which day I'm on of my 21-day challenge....but since I'm in this for LIFE, I'll just forget about counting days!)

B: cereal with milk, black coffee

L: peanut butter sandwich, chips

D: chicken tacos

Workout: Walked 3 miles in the crazy Texas heat in the afternoon!! Yes, I am crazy. Yes, I almost passed out. Yes, I will NEVER do that again! I got halfway and seriously regretted it...but then I HAD to walk back cuz I was alone. I think it was around 99 or 100 outside. Bad idea. I learned my lesson.

The new church was a good one. But you can't really tell from ONE visit. So we're going to go again next week. The preaching was good. Music was good. Children's church was good. Looks promising!!!! ha.

The most exciting news of the day??? USA girls soccer made it to the semifinals of the World Cup. I went to high school with Shannon Boxx. Not trying to name drop. Just super excited for her!

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:09 pm

I also watched the USA women yesterday...how fun! It must have been even more fun to know someone.

It is hot here too..but not as bad as there. I stayed in and did a WATP DVD yesterday and today and only some short walks outside with dogs. You must have been roasting!

Maintenance is progress.

tobiasmom

Monday

Post by tobiasmom » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:33 pm

Monday: SUCCESS!

B: cereal with milk and black coffee

L: peanut butter sandwich, chips, strawberries

D: nachos

Workout: didn't workout...but I did walk all over SeaWorld for three hours!

Not bad yesterday. I brought my lunch to SeaWorld but didn't quite finish it cuz we were so busy there. So when I got home I was hungry. I ate chips and cheese...not a great choice! But it was on one plate and I made it my dinner. Didn't eat after 4pm last night. Kinda tough.....but I am committed to three plates! I want to get more fruit and veggies in today. My body needs it! I had yogurt, blueberries, and pecans for breakfast this morning. I also want to workout this afternoon!

Have a great day, everybody!

tobiasmom

Tuesday

Post by tobiasmom » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:00 pm

Tuesday: SUCCESS!

B: Greek yogurt with pecans, blueberries, and agave

L: sausage on a bun, corn on the cob

D: egg and cheese sandwich, baked beans

Workout: Walk Away the Pounds 3-mile (45 minutes)!

I'm moving right along. I weighed myself this morning and am soooo close to breaking the 200 mark! It's been 19 weeks...and I'm down around 12 pounds. I know that's not HUGE...but for me it's such great success. I've lost way more before in that amount of time on other diets...but I always quit and gain it back. So did I really lose any weight to begin with? I know for a fact this weight is not coming back on with No-S. Even if I'd only lost 6 lb in this 19 weeks I would be happy! The weight loss may not be huge week after week....BUT it adds up! And it adds up BIG! I guess I'm hoping that this will be an encouragement to those of us scale watchers. I'm writing this so that I can read it over and over and remember how I feel this very minute. I'm done with yo-yo'ing!

My big plans for the day? To watch the USA soccer girls in the World Cup semifinals! Workout during T's nap. I've got green chile verde steak in the crockpot for tacos for dinner tonight. I've started homeschooling preschool with T in the afternoons (so we can be outside in the mornings here in super hot Texas). That's been really fun! I'm using Heart of Dakota curriculum, and I just LOVE it!

So that's what's going on with me. How about you all???

milliem

Post by milliem » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:38 pm

Losing 12 pounds is brilliant, well done!!

Joyofsix

Post by Joyofsix » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:48 pm

First! Congrats on a weight loss that will last!
Second~USA women's soccer rocks!
Third~I use HOD with my 10 and 7 yo and will start preschool later this fall with my 3yo (she will be 4 on 8/30)

Oh, and your supper sounds yummy!
Lisa, mom to 7

ellgee

Post by ellgee » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:50 am

Way to go on the loss! You are so right - we can lose pounds faster with other diets but they ALWAYS (at least in my experience) come back with a few friends. Good job!

:)
Laura

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:48 am

FANTASTIC!
You are so right about sustainable weight loss. It does not matter how quickly it comes off as long as you do not gain it right back. And you will not. Twelve pounds is a lot! Congrats!

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:21 am

tobiasmom - once again, absolutely fantastic news re. your weight loss! 12 lbs in 19 weeks is marvellous! Soooo envious, if you don't mind me saying so BUT I am also extra-specially inspired to keep going after reading your posts so thank you so much for being my inspiration ! :D :D

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:24 am

12 pounds is awesome!! You should be really proud of the changes you're making and all the weight you're dropping!

Julie

tobiasmom

Wednesday

Post by tobiasmom » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:42 pm

Wednesday: SUCCESS!

L: grilled cheese, ruffles

D: one chile verde taco with a delicious homemade tortilla! chips and salsa, one beer (Shiner Bock...yum!)

S: TurboJam Ab Jam - 20 min, WATP 1 mile - 15 min

Wow...I am sooooo sore this morning. Haven't worked my abs that hard in a loooooong time! I am totally feeling it. My dinner turned out really good last night, but I realized a half hour before dinner that we were out of tortillas. So I made some! Yummylicious! They are super easy to make...just a tiny bit time consuming.

So did you hear the news? USA girls into the final! Yay! Something about competition just gets me. I love it! And the fact that Shannon Box might win a World Cup is so exciting for me! Good luck, Shannon, on Sunday!

So today Tobias has swim lessons. Then tonight I'm trying out a women's bible study at the new church we tried last Sunday. Excited to meet some gals! Probably just gonna have leftovers today. I'll be doing WATP and trying to take it easy a bit cuz I truly am super sore today!

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:16 am

As long as the soreness is mild...good for you! It let's you know you are pushing yourself a little.
Maintenance is progress.

Joyofsix

Post by Joyofsix » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:11 am

Nice job! Hopefully you enjoyed your evening (church groups can be hard to get comfortable in) and you took it a little easy on exercise.
Lisa, mom to 7

tobiasmom

Thursday

Post by tobiasmom » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:22 pm

Thursday: SUCCESS!

B: oatmeal with walnuts, peanut butter, and agave; black coffee

L: chunk of yummy homemade wheat bread with butter, a few chips

D: two chile verde steak tacos

Workout: Walk Away the Pounds 3 miles (45 min)!

The soreness is quite a bit better. It was definitely the ab video! But I still did WATP yesterday. I'm enjoying it. I do think she talks a bit too much in the video....but that's ok. The workout is good. Today I'm planning to do TurboJam (not the ab video! ha.) Cardio.

I have some cheesy chicken and rice casserole in the oven already. Hubby works swing shift so I have to make dinner for him early during the week and then T and I heat it up in the evening. I made this wheat bread yesterday that was just super duper delish! So I think I'll be having that for lunch these days with some fruit!

The women's bible study last night was good. They are in week 6 of a 7-week study so that part was a little strange. I was a bit lost since the video we watched referred to prior weeks. That's ok. The fellowship was good, and Tobias had a blast with the other kids! I think this COULD be the church for us.......

We have absolutely NO plans this weekend, and I cannot explain to you how excited I am about that. Relaxing. Spending time together as a family. Yay! Have a good one, everybody! We ARE going to Dunkin Donuts in the morning to get some bags of coffee......and a little S treat!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:29 pm

Great job on all fronts.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:52 pm

just read through all your posts I've missed because of my crazy two weeks.. YEAH!!! You are doing a fantastic job! I agree, this is for life and it is the end of yo-yoing!! Consider yourself getting a big "yes!!" hug with jumping and screaming all around. I am that excited and happy for you!
"If you realized how powerful your thoughts are, you would never think another negative thought."
Peace Pilgrim

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:13 am

Once again, Grammy, I couldn't have said it better myself.

Thanks for keeping us posted, tobiasmom! It's so exciting to read your day to day progress, not to mention very inspirational! I hope you don't mind me saying so... remember, "no pressure". right?? :wink:

tobiasmom

Friday

Post by tobiasmom » Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:06 pm

Friday: S DAY

So I ended up taking yesterday as an S day. We went to a nice bakery out of town and had some treats. I enjoyed myself. I also made some cookies and ate them for dinner last night. Not a great choice...but, hey, that's life! I also didn't workout yesterday. I'm feeling like a big slug today....but I'm allowed to have OFF days! Today is another S day. We had some donuts from Dunkin Donuts. No plans for any other treats today, though. I'm sugared out.

Tomorrow will be an N day. I kind of like Fridays and Saturdays as S days. I guess it just depends on the week....

Just gonna relax today....maybe do an exercise video. We'll see. Tomorrow it's back to the grind!

Thanks for the wonderful comments, gals! We're all in this together! One day at a time. No-S is amazing!

tobiasmom

S days

Post by tobiasmom » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:19 am

So I took Friday as an S day and Saturday as an S day.....and Sunday as an S day. That would make Friday actually a FAILURE! I just want to be honest and call it what it is! I ate pretty bad this weekend.

BUT tomorrow's a new day, a new week. I'm ready to just move on with another great N day. Failures happen. Period. I'd like to have them less often than I do, but this is life. This journey is for life. Failures and successes are part of this journey for me.

Church was awesome today. I'm just loving this new church. Super excited about what's to come!

I'm ready for a new week. Let's have a wonderful week, everybody!!!

tobiasmom

Strugglin....

Post by tobiasmom » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:15 am

Just coming to be honest here. I am struggling a bit. I had another failure today. So that's Fri-Mon....yikes! I had diet head all day today...but came back down to reality this evening. I just need to read what I've written for the past four months. I know without a doubt this is the plan for me. This journey is going to take a while........I need to be patient and learn from my mistakes each day.

So that's my story. I'm real. I have struggles daily. But I'm here. I'm working it out. I love No-S!

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:32 am

I am obviously not the only one with summer struggles. But the positive thing is we are all still hanging in there. Way to go!
Maintenance is progress.

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:02 am

As long as you don't give up, you'll get there! And clearly you're not giving up!

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:10 am

Agree with the others! - You're doing GREAT!!

I had plenty of treats this S weekend. Sunday more than Saturday as it turned out. Finding it much harder today after eating cake for dessert and no vegetables to speak of on Sunday. However, I managed to muddle on through.

WE CAN DO THIS!!!

tobiasmom

Oh, boy.

Post by tobiasmom » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:58 pm

Well, I would love to say that I've gotten my act together, but I haven't. I am an emotional wreck, actually. I really cannot believe this is happening to me again! I had mentioned about a month ago that my family was coming to visit (mom and gma). They have been super judgmental towards my weight and dieting, etc, my entire life. They click something inside me that makes me a little kid again looking for approval. And because I'm not at my goal or even close....I've been struggling bad this week.

They are coming for their visit next week. It is no coincidence that I've had like five failures in a row this week. Something about them coming has put me in this crazy downward spiral. It's craziness. How do I let OTHER people control my emotions and what I put in my mouth? My goodness!

So I'm just coming here to acknowledge this and TRY to dig myself out of this crazy pit. I know I am worth this. God created me and He doesn't make mistakes. I'm here for a reason. No-S is awesome. I know it is the answer to all my years and years of dieting and failing and self-loathing.

You all are so awesome. Thank you in advance that I can come here and talk to you all about these struggles. I feel more love on this board than I've ever felt with my REAL friends...ha! Thanks for understanding.

So it starts right now. One meal at a time. When I consider grabbing something that's a snack, a sweet, or a second.....I am going to come back to this board and spill my guts instead of eating my emotions! Today's a new day!!!!!!!!!!

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:17 pm

Good for you that you are addressing these issues when you are young. With perseverance, you will succeed, and there is less chance that you will pass your food anxieties on to your child. You will help him to grow up with acceptance and sane eating habits.

I wish I had found No S sooner...but then again maybe I would not have been successful before. Maybe this is just the right time of life for me.
Last edited by r.jean on Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Maintenance is progress.

Joyofsix

Post by Joyofsix » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:16 am

Just sending a big (((hug))). You are right, you are not a mistake.
Lisa, mom to 7

mimi

Re: Oh, boy.

Post by mimi » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:59 am

tobiasmom wrote:
So I'm just coming here to acknowledge this and TRY to dig myself out of this crazy pit. I know I am worth this. God created me and He doesn't make mistakes. I'm here for a reason. No-S is awesome. I know it is the answer to all my years and years of dieting and failing and self-loathing.
Amen. God does not make mistakes...so keep looking up. Our pastor said something a few weeks ago in his message that resonated for me. He told us instead of dwelling on our problems, we need to start looking on them as possibilities. Two things he mentioned to keep in mind: 1) Don't judge our present by our past and 2) Nothing paralyzes our lives more than the attitude that nothing can ever change.
Oh, and one more...every day is a good day - some are just better.

Big (((((hug)))))!
Mimi :D
Discovered NoS: April 16, 2007
Restarted once again: July 14, 2011
Quitting is not an option...
If you start to slip, tie a knot and hang on!
Remember that good enough is... good enough.
Strive for progress, not perfection!

tobiasmom

Thursday

Post by tobiasmom » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:54 pm

Grrr.....hanging in there! I succumbed to the peanut butter cookies yesterday afternoon. I took T to swim class and then sat in some traffic for a while. When I got home I grabbed the cookies. When did I become so darn emotional? ha.

So I'm workng through this thing. I guess my emotional part of the journey was bound to come up sometime! Just glad to be working through this FINALLY!

Thank you so much for being so supportive, everybody! I will NOT quit. I have just been having a rough week. One week out of a lifetime is NOTHING!

So here I am. Gonna make Friday my first SUCCESS of the week!

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:02 pm

Boy, do I know what you are going through! ..and, to make it worse, you have all this time to make up little movies in your head about what is going to happen when then come.. I think that is the worst part! i've mentioned before that the eating issue for me is an emotional thing and has emotional triggers, just as you are having. You are recognizing that problem and addressing it and everyone is here to support you! I can tell you are a wonderful, caring and loving person just from your thread!! don't let them tell you otherwise..you know better! :wink:
"If you realized how powerful your thoughts are, you would never think another negative thought."
Peace Pilgrim

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:39 am

Hi tobiasmom ~!! big hugs((((((()))))))

Imho, from reading your latest post, it seems as if you got a bit nervous/emotional over the prospect of your family's impending visit and this has unnerved you a bit (hope this is coming across okay, hon!)

I can totally empathize since my inlaws have a bit of "an effect" - she says euphemistically - on me sometimes and as I tend to be an emotional comfort eater, I find myself reaching for the cookies to cheer myself up. Basically, they make me feel inferior because of their actions ... not sure if its deliberate or me being super sensitive or both ...anyway, they stress me out at times and in moments of stress, I tend to overeat.

I know I shouldn't let them get to me but overall I am a placid, easy going sort of person and they tend to be a bit on the fiery/argumentative side and it can be 'tough going'. Nobody's perfect though and I'm sure I must stress them out by my laid back manner just as much. LOL!

Have a great weekend, and not to worry - you are doing FABULOUS!!!

milliem

Post by milliem » Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:44 am

*hugs* sorry to hear you are having a rough time of it :( Family can be really tough huh??

Keep at it, the fact that you are talking about it and trying is awesome, when it could be so easy to just 'give up' and try and ignore NoS - well done you!

tobiasmom

Post by tobiasmom » Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:23 pm

Didn't realize we could post pics on here! I thought I'd post a few pics of my little boy so you can put a face to the name!

More recent (my little ham!):

[/img]

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:02 pm

There's money in them there eyebrows. What a doll!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

milliem

Post by milliem » Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:18 pm

He's such a cutie!!

determined

Post by determined » Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:12 pm

What a cutie!!!

I read that you've been struggling & I can absolutely understand how difficult that can be. It's so very hard to get back on track after red days. Personally,I struggle with looking forward to how much more I have to accomplish...and looking back at how many times I've failed before. As soon as I start letting my emotions discourage me, I feel doomed! I don't know how you react to struggling days, but if you're like 99% of us here, the emotional struggle seems so much harder.

I have a suggestion that might illustrate how well you've done...and how much you've accomplished. Take 2 bags of flour and 2 cans of veggies and put them on the counter. Lift them. Walk around with them. Climb the stairs with them & then put them down. You LOST that much weight!!! You aren't carrying that much around with you any longer. YOU have succeeded!!! If it helps, keep that visual reminder in your kitchen near the fridge...or in your pantry near whatever you are tempted with most. Whether you end up doing this or not, the bottom line is that you lost 2 bags of flour and two cans of veggies...that's a huge success!!!

Hugs to you...janie
"Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day."
Winnie the Pooh

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:29 pm

He really is a totally cutie! Just had to add my voice to the chorus. :)

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:36 pm

Awww
Thank you for posting this...he is so adorable...and so are you...assuming that is you. :mrgreen:

Joyofsix

Post by Joyofsix » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:11 pm

Adorable! Love the expression. Breathe and remember you want to be healthy for him (and consider wearing your ipod at all times when your annoying relatives talk) :shock:
Lisa, mom to 7

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:03 pm

What a cutie! I can think of all kinds of captions to go with that look of his: "Don't even think about opening the frig door!"// You're thinking about eating what??// "I do NOT need a nap.. you are the one who is cranky!!"

You could probably have a contest for captions.. I am going to smile every time I think of that picture.
hugs all around!
Peace Pilgrim

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:34 am

I love what Determined wrote about proving yo yourself what that twelve pounds lost means.

What is it about family, anyway? Why do we revert to our childhood roles around them?

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:46 am

AWWWWW!!! Absolutely gorgeous...both of you!!! Thanks so much for posting. Great to "see" you!!

tobiasmom

hey

Post by tobiasmom » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:11 pm

Oh, thank you so much, everybody! He is definitely a joy!

But you all are right - I need to get my act together and realize the progress I've already made and JUST DO THIS! The family is coming in two days. I am going to stick with No-S and just have fun and ignore my silly mind games I play when they are around. I know they love me. I know they want the best for me. I need to stop creating drama in my mind that hasn't even happened yet! Wanna hear something wonderful? They are gonna watch T Thursday night so the hubby and I can have an overnight date for only the second time in FOUR YEARS!!! Yay. I am gonna dress up and have a fun night on the town at the Riverwalk ALONE with hubby.

There's so much to live for. I've gotta stop focusing on the negatives and realize the gift I've found...No-S and all of you!!!! The happy No-S cheerleader is back!!! Watch out, World!

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:09 am

Have a wonderful date night!!
Peace Pilgrim

mimi

Post by mimi » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:15 am

What an absolute little heart breaker! He's precious!

I am so glad to hear the news about your exciting date night! I have always wanted to do the Riverwalk in San Antonio. I hope you have a wonderful evening and enjoy every minute of it!

Mimi
Discovered NoS: April 16, 2007
Restarted once again: July 14, 2011
Quitting is not an option...
If you start to slip, tie a knot and hang on!
Remember that good enough is... good enough.
Strive for progress, not perfection!

Pangelsue2

Post by Pangelsue2 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:42 pm

Thanks so much for posting the pictures. Your son is adorable and so are you. Good plan too to let the drama, if there is any, be on their side alone. No one can make you feel anything if you don't let them. You are getting to know and accept your own worth and that is an incredible feat. Enjoy your night out with your husband and coincidentally a night away from your family. LOL.
I'm baaaack.

milliem

Re: hey

Post by milliem » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:54 pm

tobiasmom wrote:Oh, thank you so much, everybody! He is definitely a joy!

But you all are right - I need to get my act together and realize the progress I've already made and JUST DO THIS! The family is coming in two days. I am going to stick with No-S and just have fun and ignore my silly mind games I play when they are around. I know they love me. I know they want the best for me. I need to stop creating drama in my mind that hasn't even happened yet! Wanna hear something wonderful? They are gonna watch T Thursday night so the hubby and I can have an overnight date for only the second time in FOUR YEARS!!! Yay. I am gonna dress up and have a fun night on the town at the Riverwalk ALONE with hubby.

There's so much to live for. I've gotta stop focusing on the negatives and realize the gift I've found...No-S and all of you!!!! The happy No-S cheerleader is back!!! Watch out, World!
That is some brilliant positive self talk right there - if you start feeling down or think you are letting them get to you, come back and read this post :)

tobiasmom

so...

Post by tobiasmom » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:01 pm

So I'm surviving today. My body isn't happy about it, but I'm doing it!!! I have thought of getting a snack numerous times this afternoon (since I had been perma-snacking all week last week), but I am back on the No-S wagon. One day, one meal at a time. I get to eat dinner in about an hour.....what's a little stomach growling?! I mean, this is ridiculous. There are people that don't even get ONE meal a day. I need to just suck it up and think more realistically!

So I PROMISE you and ME that today WILL be a success. Gonna do a video tonight after T goes to bed.

SkyKitty

Post by SkyKitty » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:26 am

Aahh tobiasmom your strategy for not snacking sounds a bit like mine,
be stubborn and refuse to give in!! Hope you did have a success and are feeling strong enough to face all challenges.
When nothing goes right...go left.

Joyofsix

Post by Joyofsix » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:55 am

Hang in there!
Lisa, mom to 7

tobiasmom

Monday

Post by tobiasmom » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:36 pm

Day 1 - SUCCESS!!!

B: cereal with milk, half a banana, black coffee

L: turkey and provolone sandwich, 1/2 an apple

D: grilled bbq chicken breast, corn on the cob

Didn't workout. I'm committing to five days a week right now, though. So I'll have to workout on Saturday!

I think I'm coming down with a cold. I have had a sore throat for a few days and a runny draining nose. But it also could just be allergies. Not sure. I haven't been taking my allergy meds...so it could very well be that!

My family is flying in tonight. So wish me luck! ha.

I am feeling sooooo good to have a success yesterday! I thrive on a bit of structure. I am ready for another success today!

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:17 am

GOOD LUCK! I predict that this will be the best family time ever now that you are developing some new insights about yourself!
Maintenance is progress.

tobiasmom

Monday

Post by tobiasmom » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:29 am

Well, my family's here...and things are going fine. We've been having lots of fun. I pretty much blew it Wed, Thur, and Fri, and then had some pretty sane S days on Sat and Sun. Today was a SUCCESS, though. I didn't workout. We've been doing some walking.

I feel reassured to just take it one day at a time. I know my family wasn't too impressed with my weight loss. But this is working for me! I am sticking with it! They have been very nice. Nobody has said anything negative. So it was probably mostly in my head. They have told me numerous times how great of a mother I am. That really is much more important than how much I weigh, don't ya think??? I obviously am not a perfect mother, but it's nice to hear! ha.

So just wanted to check in and tell you guys I'm hanging in there! I didn't weigh-in last week so I have no idea where I am. Gonna just keep going and weigh the end of Aug. I'll just take July as a no weigh-in month!

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:52 am

Good to hear from you. Sounds like you are keeping good habits when you can but also relaxing and enjoying and finding a good balance. Good job!

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:56 am

Just reading your posts, I can tell you are a wonderful mom.. I am sure your family, who gets to see you in action, is really impressed. Enjoy the compliments and don't look for hidden meanings in what is not said! Keep smilin'!
Peace Pilgrim

tobiasmom

Tuesday

Post by tobiasmom » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:10 pm

SUCCESS!

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:50 pm

:D ! ! ! !
Peace Pilgrim

tobiasmom

Thursday

Post by tobiasmom » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:20 am

OMG. I have had the WORST two eating days ever! I mean, we're talking worse than S days! Wed and today I ate like food was going out of style. Gross! I feel horrible. Bloated. Ick.........

Just thought I'd document that for tomorrow when I'm having a SUCCESS to remind myself to keep my eye on the prize!

I will not quit. I have to keep saying that. I have had a pretty bad past month or so. But this is for life. I'm in this thing forever. Tomorrow's another step toward success! Today is for that matter!

Gotta get back in the swing of things with exercise. My family left yesterday....and I'm out of excuses again! They are coming to look at my treadmill Saturday. I sure hope it's fixable. It only goes 12mph right now. Ya....impossible for me! So I'm hoping it will be fixed so that I can start a walk to run program INDOORS next week!

That's about it. I wish I could say I got right back on track....but I didn't. Bad few days here. But it's NEVER too late. I'm here. I'm in this!

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:53 am

Hang in there! You will get back on track. We all have our moments.
Maintenance is progress.

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:04 am

(((((((((hugs))))))))))))

You are doing great, tobiasmom!

tobiasmom

new week

Post by tobiasmom » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:11 pm

It's a new week....and I'm feeling good today! I got up at 6:45 and went for a looooong walk (1.5 hours). Didn't realize it was gonna be THAT long, but it feels good to get back to some exercise. And my dog loved me for it.

I haven't gotten more than ONE success in a row in a while. So this week is going to be different! I'm feeling ready to commit again emotionally and leave it all out there! I've just been barely going through the motions this past month. As a result I've been an unhappy unhealthy grump. No fun to be around.

That changes NOW. I am going to live each day to the fullest. Play with my son and not worry IF the house is perfectly clean. Follow No-S and not worry if my plate is perfectly nutritious....just perfectly fitting on the plate! ha. I'm going to go to bed earlier so that I can wake up earlier and do my walk that really clears my head and gives me some ME time. I'm going to focus on eating more at home again and trying to stick with a budget so we can get out of debt!!! I'm going to pay more attention to my poor husband........I won't get into the details...ha!

It starts NOW. Time to eat some breakfast!

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:57 pm

Good luck! You can do it!
Maintenance is progress.

sugarmama4Him

Post by sugarmama4Him » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:10 am

Way to go! Sounds like you have a good start to the week. Keep up the good work, and don't sweat the small stuff--like housework.
Height 5'2''
SW: 165
GW: 115

Jesus said, "I am the bread that gives life! No one who comes to me will ever be hungry. No one who has faith in me will ever be thirsty," (John 6:35).

tobiasmom

Monday

Post by tobiasmom » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:53 pm

SUCCESS!!! FINALLY had a wonderful day yesterday. I took that nice long walk in the morning and then had my three meals. It was a bit rough. I have definitely taught my brain to snack in the afternoons and/or evenings this past few weeks. My brain was screaming at me last night, but I just kept telling myself, "This stops now. Today is the day. No more excuses." I watched the show "Heavy" on Netflix last night, and although I'm not as heavy as the people on the show, my mindset is very much the same. I have those same struggles with binging emotionally, et cetera. Since I can't just leave my family and go to a center for a month.....I have to work through these things slowly but surely on my own.

I'm feeling great right now, though. I'm just gonna take it one meal at a time. I didn't walk the dog this morning cuz it looks like we might have some rain (which is VERY much needed). So I am gonna do a video during T's naptime.

Have a wonderful day, All!

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:04 pm

You'll do great! Stick with it!

tobiasmom

Tuesday

Post by tobiasmom » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:29 pm

SUCCESS!! Two days in a row...........

determined

Post by determined » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:39 pm

Good for you!!! Green is such a great color!!!

janie
Winnie the Pooh

tobiasmom

Wednesday

Post by tobiasmom » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:28 pm

SUCCESS!!! Things are going well. I woke up with a sore throat this morning, though....I've kind of lost my voice. Grrrr..... So I didn't go for my walk. I might take the day off from exercise today to rest my body.....or I'll do WATP indoors during T's nap.

I decided to make a four-month meal plan for dinners. I put together all my favorite recipes along with some new ones for things I love when I eat out. I'm excited about eating yummy food that I actually enjoy......and hopefully saving some money here at home! I also picked one dessert a week to make.......for S days. I'm just hoping to simplify my schedule and pay off some debt!!

I'm happy to be back on the wagon three days in a row! Hope everybody else is doing well!

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:34 pm

Glad to hear you are back on track. I have had a mixed week and hope to get back on track as well.
Maintenance is progress.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:50 am

Just one more day until S days.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

tobiasmom

Thursday

Post by tobiasmom » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:34 pm

FAILURE! Darn it! Made it three days and then yesterday I was soooooo tired (probably the sugar leaving my system) and I just grabbed some cookies real quick......and the rest is history! I feel like a darn drug addict right now! Gotta have my fix......of sugar! Craziness.

Today's a new day. I feel like I'm not making any progress.....but the truth is that for the first time in my life I KEEP getting back on the wagon. I keep trying. I'm not giving up...ever! I will do this.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:12 pm

Yes, you do keep getting back up. I admire it.

When you're tired, it's okay to sit down and even put your head down. You can do it for as long as it would have taken you to get the cookies and eat them at least, right! Though I know that can be lightening quick! Just remember it's not the fatigue that makes you eat. It makes you WANT to eat. Two different things.

You're going to lick this, pardon the pun.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

tobiasmom

Friday

Post by tobiasmom » Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:10 pm

FAILURE! Ya....I don't have much to say about that. Just really struggling.........

The treadmill is fixed. I'm planning to start a walk to run program next week.

Just not feeling great. I will not quit....but I have got to get my act together somehow!

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:22 pm

I'm with oolala - KUDOS go out to you tobiasmom! Getting back on the wagon and staying the course with No S or any plan for that matter, is a great achievement in itself. Well done!!

Have a great weekend - looking forward to your next posts!!

(((hugs))))

tobiasmom

hey

Post by tobiasmom » Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:10 pm

So I got on that darn treadmill yesterday and started my walk-to-run program. It's a 13-week program and ends up with a 10k. I'm going to do each week twice, though....so it's a 26-week program for me.

Yesterday: run 30 seconds, walk 4.5 minutes 7 times. I walked at 3.0 and ran at 5.0. The first 20 minutes my foot hurt, but the last 15 minutes were amazing! Felt some hope at the end there!

I did have an S day yesterday, but it was mild. I had a cupcake and a soda at a birthday party.

I've had a horrible headache since yesterday afternoon. My blood pressure was up yesterday (probably from too much coffee and maybe even from the running). My blood pressure is back down, but the headache is still there......

Church today. I love Sundays. I'm working in the children's church today, though. I love working with the kids, but I could really use a sermon today!

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:57 pm

Way to go with the exercise! Great idea to do 2 weeks at each level. If it is too much try 3 weeks at each level. I wish I liked treadmills because they make it so much easier to track your progress and you cannot use weather as an excuse. Unfortunately I have always hated all exercise machines.

I find that my blood pressure is lower when I exercise as long as I do not take my BP right afterwards, but everyone is different.
Maintenance is progress.

tobiasmom

new start........again

Post by tobiasmom » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:54 pm

Today marks another new beginning. I can't stop trying...period! So I'm going to go back to tracking my three meals. I seem to do MUCH better when I track my food. I guess it keeps me mindful of what I'm putting in my mouth!

Yesterday was ok. I ate dinner way late....and it was a very unhealthy choice. Just felt gross afterwards. I'm also having a huge problem with my blood pressure again. It's gotta be the eating. I've had a headache for three days now. This is pretty dangerous. So I've gotta get serious NOW!

No excuses. Today's the day. One bite at a time.

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:42 pm

Hi I find that jotting the food down does help. I do find counting calories doesn't work for me. Are you talking about just kind of eyeing things up?

I bought the 9 inch diet book and totally read it in 1 day..interesting how we so supersize everything..the 9 inch plate that we used to use turned into a 12 inch plate...an 8 oz drink had turned into gulp drinks, just about everything we come in contact with has grown in size including chicken breast...learned a lot from the book..not a diet book at all, and only builds on No S...love both the books!
Age 56: SBMI=30.6 (12/1/13) CBMI 28.9 (2/2/14) GBMI-24.8

tobiasmom

hey

Post by tobiasmom » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:50 pm

NoSnacker: Oh, I'm not counting anything at all. I'm just going to write down what I actually eat at the three meals. I just know that if I have to write down three packages of cookies, Doritos, Swedish Fish, AND a whole pitcher of KoolAid it might make me think twice about it........not that I did that last week! ha.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:41 am

Logging exercise works for me, but I absolutely hate keeping a food diary of any kind. I figure that the habit cal keeps me honest with the basic rules of eating and beyond that I do not care. However, logging the exercise pushes me to do more.

The nice thing about No S is that it allows for individual differences!
Maintenance is progress.

tobiasmom

Monday

Post by tobiasmom » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:33 pm

Monday - SUCCESS!

B: cereal with milk

L: English muffin pizza, 1/2 orange, chips

D: shredded chicken taco on homemade tortilla, canned peaches

Exercise: 30-minute walk treadmill

Everything was good yesterday. I went to bed mighty hungry, though. My body needs to readjust......

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:38 pm

Just popping in to say I hope you're having a great day and I enjoy reading your food logs. Way to go, tobiasmom!!

tobiasmom

Tuesday

Post by tobiasmom » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:38 pm

Tuesday: SUCCESS!

L: grilled cheese sandwich, carrots with ranch

D: personal cheese and olive pizza on delicious homemade dough!

Exercise: 30-minute walk treadmill

I decided to put my walk to run program on hold for a bit and just walk the treadmill. I think I was pushing it a little too hard (and was already dreading it). So I'm gonna focus on walking the rest of the month and then start my walk to run program slowly. I also downloaded my book club book onto my Ipod. That's making walking the treadmill more bareable! I've gotta get listening, though. It's 26 hours! It's called, "The Hour I First Believed." Kind of a downer...but interesting! I just LOVE books in general.

We officially started T's homeschool pre-K year yesterday! He's obsessed with cutting now! He wants to cut little squares ALL day! He's such a joy. I REALLY want to be a good example to him.....physically and spiritually!

Have a wonderful day, everybody!

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:10 pm

Home made pizza dough, audiobooks and a happy child. What could be better?

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:56 pm

I second Who Me. Sounds like a great day!

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:10 pm

Hi, thanks for stopping by and the word of encouragement..I'm hoping for a better evening food wise myself..I'm going to be sure it is something I really want and enjoy..I'm a little rebel..if I don't like it, I seem to binge later...

Sounds like a great day for you yesterday!!!

milliem

Post by milliem » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:18 pm

Just wanted to stop by and say well done for keeping on at it :) You're doing amazingly for sticking at NoS even when it's tough! Congrats on your successes on Monday and Tuesday :)

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:18 pm

It really does not matter how long it takes to get where you want to be on the weight loss or the exercise as long as you are in there trying. When I first started running I ran a few steps and counted each time my right foot hit. I gradually increased that number and then gradually added more short jogs within the walk. It was very gradual. I exercise outside and cannot be looking at my watch constantly so that was my method. Now I just time the whole walk/jog and work on improving my overall pace.

Just don't give up. Just run 30 seconds or a minute each day to start and stay with that until you feel like adding more. It is better than nothing!
Maintenance is progress.

tobiasmom

Wednesday

Post by tobiasmom » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:00 pm

Wednesday: SUCCESS!!

B: Greek yogurt with raw honey, dried cranberries, and mixed nuts; black coffee

L: macaroni and cheese with mixed vegetables

D: chicken burrito, Activia yogurt

Workout: 30-minute walk on treadmill

Getting in the groove slowly but surely!

determined

Post by determined » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:13 pm

Tobiasmom...

HOMESCHOOL! :) We have more than NoS in common. I've homeschooled our kids forever...or at least it seems like forever sometimes! Our oldest is in his junior year of college & I homeschooled him the whole time. I homeschooled the next one for 10 years...he's finishing high school at the public school...the next one is a homeschooled, high school junior, and our youngest is starting first grade at home. If you ever want to talk homeschool, I'm here!

janie
Winnie the Pooh

tobiasmom

Thursday

Post by tobiasmom » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:45 am

Thursday: SUCCESS!

L: chicken quesadilla, Activia yogurt

D: smoked sausage pasta bake, salad

Activity: walk/run 30 minutes (I felt good so I ran a few segments)

Feeling good. I slept wrong on my neck last night. It's really sore, but other than that things are going great!

tobiasmom

hey

Post by tobiasmom » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:23 am

I think I'm gonna stick with my original check-in thread. I realize that this journey has been ongoing since the beginning. I've never actually completely quit No-S. I've just struggled off and on this past seven months.

My weight when I first started No-S in March was 211.4. I am currently sitting at around 205. I'm just going to move forward from here.

Today: SUCCESS!

L: peanut butter sandwich, plumcot

D: one chicken enchilada with sour cream, watermelon, and baked cheese Doritos

Workout: 2-mile Walk Away the Pounds video

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:22 am

After years of my weight creeping up slowly, I consider the fact that you are not gaining and the fact that you are actually down a little as progress. It is tough to lose when you have to roll with the ups and downs of parenthood and a young family. Hope to continue to see you here!
Maintenance is progress.

tobiasmom

hey

Post by tobiasmom » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:05 pm

I'm still here. Haven't had a green day in weeks, unfortunately. I wake up in the morning thinking I'm gonna do it......and then I just get greedy and eat chocolate or some other sweet. The sweets have definitely been the problem. But I have a plan in place. I'm just gonna take it ONE MEAL at a time. I'm slowly trying to change my mindset. I'm pretty sure my weight is now the same as when I started back in March......but that doesn't matter. What matters is that I'm still on this journey. I'm still TRYING. I still love No-S. I just need to go back to the basics instead of complicating things so much.

determined

Post by determined » Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:21 pm

This such a great way of thinking. I'm terrible about saying negative stuff to myself & what you are doing is focusing on the positives...and that's bound to help you so much.

Someone on the board once wrote that what we're doing is learning maintenance first...and that's really difficult. BUT, I absolutely agree with that statement because we're learning to just stick with this and continue on with the basics. I don't know of another eating plan that does this. I've lost weight with lots of diets, but I can never maintain it. I really believe NoS is what most people would see as backwards, but I'm seeing the benefits of learning the stick-to-itness essential for maintaining.

Hang in there!!!

janie
Winnie the Pooh

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:48 am

Hi there, stopping by to say I'm still in the same boat as you, but love No S and don't want to give it up.

I wake up every morning with a great attitude that today will be the day..and it usually is until after dinner...maybe I can have my husband tie up my hands and feet so I can't keep getting up and going in the kitchen...

But we are going to beat this and eat normal!

Let's try for next week!

p.s. so did you ever try doing one S at a time for a period of time then incorporating another S, etc. So you do the no snacking or seconds and limit your sweets to include with your meal only...???

tobiasmom

hey

Post by tobiasmom » Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:27 pm

Well, it's been quite an emotional week. My little boy has been sick for quite some time. Tummy troubles....throwing up with diarrhea for the past month or so off and on. He's complained of stomach aches for as long as I can remember. Turns out it's dairy. Stool sample was positive for blood. Poor guy! So our house is going dairy-free. There is definitely going to be a learning curve here. He's almost 4 years old. It will just be easier to not have it in the house.

I'm back in action.....up in weight for sure! But I'm back. Three meals with no snacks, no sweets, no seconds.....and apparently no sick-inducing dairy for my son! I am a cheese-aholic. This ought to be interesting. He's on almond milk now, and he likes it. Gonna try to make yogurt and ice cream from the almond milk possibly.

The adventure begins.....

Pangelsue2

Post by Pangelsue2 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:18 pm

Hi Tobismom,
I have been reading here but haven't left a post for a while. Sorry you have been struggling. I am also sorry to hear your son has a dairy allergy. Maybe it will be a help for you as well as him to be skipping the dairy. Allergies can cause a lot of symptoms including increased appetite. Wouldn't it be great if by giving dairy up with your son, you discovered it helped you too? By the way, there are lots of dairy free items on the market. Do you have a local health food store in your city? They should have ice creams, cheeses (not so great actually but maybe your son would like them) and many other dairy free items. Actually, coconut ice cream is incredible. You might want to give that a try.....or maybe not.
I have been making meals from a website lately called the Mediterrasian Diet. It is not a diet. It is about eating Mediterranean and Asian style foods. Really interesting and they have a lot of reports about how this type of eating lowers cholesterol and BP You might want to check it out. You mention your BP gets scary. How scary are we talking? Are you working with a doctor for it?
Hang in there and keep up the journey. We are all in this together.
I'm baaaack.