Callie302's Not-Quite Daily Check In

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

sidney202

Callie302's Not-Quite Daily Check In

Post by sidney202 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:59 am

DAY 1: Success!
This is my first day on No-S and I am so excited to begin this journey. I successfully ate like a normal person today. And despite having no snacks, sweets or seconds, I am going to bed comfortably full and looking forward to tomorrow.
Last edited by sidney202 on Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

Hoeka

Post by Hoeka » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:20 am

Hi Callie
Glad to see there's anther newbie crazy enough to start no S in December.
Stay strong!
I'll post tonight

sidney202

Post by sidney202 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:50 pm

Hoeka,

Glad you replied! Now we can support each other through the holidays. I will be looking for your post tonight.

sidney202

Post by sidney202 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:17 am

DAY 2: Success!
Day two was pretty straightforward and easy, just like Day one. Oatmeal for bfast, chili cheese dogs for lunch (yum) and sushi and a frozen meal for dinner. I'm full and satisfied, and I ate what I wanted today.

It's really early to be talking about the effects of No S since I am brand spanking new at this, but without a doubt, I am experiencing some immediate differences in my day.

For one, I have much better concentration at work. Before No S, when I would experience the smallest distraction, frustration or resistance to doing a task at work, I would immediately seek a snack to drown out the discomfort. Off to the cafeteria or vending machine I would go, procrastinating and frittering away what I now realize were large chunks of time in the process.

In these two short days, I have noticed that since I now know that I am "predisapproved" for a snack, I don't even consider eating as a procrastination technique anymore...it just doesn't even register in my psyche. Don't get me wrong, I have lots of other procrastination techniques (like scrolling through the No S message boards) but at this moment, eating isn't one of them. It's a brand new sensation, and I like it.
Last edited by sidney202 on Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

gk

Post by gk » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:29 pm

Callie-

Welcome! It sounds like you're off to a great start!

I'm a newbie here, too. I've just finished my first 21 days, and I have to say this is the best diet I've tried ever. Within days I could tell the difference already. This diet is about so much more than losing weight. The habits you form are wonderful! I am (was :wink: ) a big-time emotional eater and just in this amount of time, I feel like it's totally changed my outlook on food. Now, I eat when I'm supposed to and I'm content. I'm not constantly "browsing" for food, and I enjoy my food so much more!

Whenever I got hungry at first, I just drank lots of water (something I used to hate and now enjoy) and chewed gum. It's funny, I didn't like eating fruits and veggies before, and now I actually enjoy them!

Keep up the good work! You're going to love this diet! :)
SW (as of 3/25/13): 172 lbs.
CW: 171 lbs.

sidney202

Post by sidney202 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:31 pm

gk,

Thanks for the welcome and the encouragement. So far in my very short journey, I am experiencing the same sort of contentedness that you describe. It really is wonderful, and I just hope that it continues.

You have lost 5 lbs in 21 days! Wowie Zowie! That is truly commendable. I am impressed. If you have a daily check in thread, I will be sure to stop by to wish you continued success.

gk

Post by gk » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:43 am

Callie-

Hope you're continuing to do well. I know what you mean about having so much extra time. After starting this diet, I've suddenly realized how much time I spent snacking!

I had already hopped on the Just for December thread earlier. I've found that posting has really helped me during this diet. This is the first time I've ever used any kind of support system, and it really does make a difference. Sometimes, if I'm feeling hungry and the water and gum aren't doing it for me, I hop on-line and after reading a few minutes on the No S bulletin board, I'm back on track.

Good luck with No S-ing. You can do it!!! :D

sidney202

Post by sidney202 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:01 am

DAY 3: Success!

Absolutely brutal 17 hour day at work today. I started working by 3 AM at home. I was so busy that I grabbed a yogurt, 3 slices of turkey bacon and a banana (they fit on a plate!) and ate them in the car on my way to the office where I worked from 6 AM -9PM. had a good lunch of 3 meatballs and some sauteed broccoli with a garlic roll to make up for my miniscule breakfast. Unfortunately, I had no idea I would be at work until 9, so that lunch was long gone by about 6 PM and I was wishing I had eaten more at lunch.

I never felt seriously tempted to eat, but it was clear I was hungry since every stray candy wrapper caught my eye!

This is a lesson to me...I need to have some emergency dinner that I can eat at work when I am having one of these marathon days.

This No-Ser is beat! Calling it a night.

Hoeka

Post by Hoeka » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:07 am

You're doing so well! Keep it up!

gk

Post by gk » Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:21 am

Callie-

Great job making it through that very long work day! I read in the No S book that he keeps an "emergency" lunch at his desk for such situations. Sounds like that might be a good idea for you, too.

Yeah, since I've started this diet I'm eating TONS more veggies and fruit. I think it does make you feel fuller. I've found alot of water to be very helpful, too.

Keep up the good work! Enjoy your well-earned S Days! :)

sidney202

Post by sidney202 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:59 am

DAY 4: Success!

A great day today. Ate lots of filling type food, so I was never hungry; a 16 oz fruit/yogurt and protein powder smoothie for bfast, a very large burrito for lunch, and then a frozen dinner with sauteed rappi and mushrooms and an apple.

Something I noticed today, and I wonder if anyone else has experienced this. Shortly after I ate the burrito my stomach started rumbling. It seemed like it was hunger pangs, but I had just eaten a huge burrito, so I rejected that idea. Then I realized, it was just the sound of my stomach trying to digest something that it couldn't--the sour cream that was on the burrito (I am lactose intolerant). It is interesting to me that I almost mistook indigestion for hunger. Looking back, I am sure there have been instances in which I have experienced that feeling , and actually reached for a snack to "quell my hunger" when really I should have been reaching for Lactaid.

sidney202

Post by sidney202 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:39 am

DAY 5: Success!

Today, er, actually yesterday as I write this, was a good, good day. It was my very first S day and I got through it without deprivation or binging. I had my "mandatory" S at breakfast, and that diminished any urge that would have led to an "S day gone wild". I know, I know, I am supposed to be able to be freely permissive on S days. And some day I will, but for now, it makes a lot of sense for me to not get too far outside the 3 meal a day habit.

So here's what I had today:

5 silver dollar sized (okay, $1.25 sized) pancakes with whipped butter and warmed, real maple syrup with 2 scrambled eggs and bacon (some pork, some turkey). It all fit on a plate. I know that bit isn't required on an S day, but like I mentioned, it was a good way to continue to habit build.

Lunch was chicken pasta with broccoli in marinara with 2 very small apples. Dinner was a 1/2 chicken cobb salad and cup of chili from Panera. (If any one is reading this, the chili was wholly underwhelming. I usually love Panera, but I won't be ordering the chili again) But I had enough to eat to be full. And I didn't binge. And I feel like I treated myself.

Let's see if I can do this again tomorrow.

gk

Post by gk » Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:34 am

Callie-

Great job on your first S Day!! I've found that it helps me to stick to three meals a day at all times, too. I have a problem with snacking - once I start, it's all over. Plus, I think it just makes it easier to stay in the habit of three meals a day, instead of starting over from scratch every Monday.

You're doing so good so far! I was soo hungry when I first started - you're a step ahead! Keep up the great work!

You know, I've always loved my sweets, but this diet tends to make them ohhh, so much better. :D Enjoy your S Day.

sidney202

Post by sidney202 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:52 am

Day 6: Success!

Since you can't actually "fail" on S days, I am not sure that I can actually claim success on S days. But I am going to anyway. Because in addition to losing weight, regaining sanity around food is one of my main motivations for adhering to the No S plan of eating. So even though, in the strict sense of the word I can't fail, continuing to lose control around food is as bad, if not worse than weight gain. Therefore, any day where I can act normally around food is a big success to me.

So, today to me was a success in that I was able to eat food that filled me up, I didn't get ravenous and I had a treat and didn't obsess about it.

Today's meals: breakfast: fully loaded oatmeal (dried fruit, nuts, vanilla protein powder, evap milk, brown sugar) Yum!, lunch was a small burrito with broccoli and 2 small oranges, dinner was a bowl of raisin bran with soy milk and brown sugar (ate a late lunch, wasn't very hungry and wanted to save room for my treat). My treat today was a chocolate torte (individually sized) from my grocery store bakery. It was actually a little too sweet, so I didn't even finish the last bite. But I am glad I had it, because now I know I can face the week without dying for a treat.

Can this calm attitude around food continue? I hope so.

gk

Post by gk » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:33 am

Callie-

You rock. You keep this up and you're gonna sail through this diet.

I agree....it's almost as if losing weight is a nice side effect of the diet. Gaining control of eating habits is the main achievement with this as far as I'm concerned. (Probably shouldn't preach this after I've had an S Day Gone Wild.... :lol:.....but, it's how I've felt all through this month. This is the best diet e.v.e.r.)

Keep it up - you're doing awesome. :)

Hoeka

Post by Hoeka » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:33 am

Callie, glad to hear the week-end went well, especially since you were so worried about it.
Have a green week!

moderatemeals

Post by moderatemeals » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:51 pm

Callie -
Great job on last week!! You are going to be amazed at how easy this way of eating becomes after a few weeks! You will love it especially during the holidays when you don't want to feel deprived or like you are on a diet.

I definitely think the daily check-ins are very helpful, so keep it up!!

Good luck to you today!
Lisa

sidney202

Post by sidney202 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:32 am

Day 7: Success!

Today was another marathon day at work (12+ hours). Luckily for me, I chose to not eat the lunch I brought, but instead, to eat in the cafeteria, so I had my lunch left to eat for dinner!

No S has still been relatively painless. Today however, I am noticing the shine is off the apple just a bit. Even though I was not hungry, I got a few urges to eat to take the anxiety off my stressful day. I didn't succumb, but it was interesting to kind of watch the process. The urge to munch comes, and then, once it is clear that it is not going to get satisfied, it slinks away like a dog who knows its not going to get any table scraps. This is ironic, because not too long ago, I figured that if I got an urge, I needed to satisfy it. Now I see that unless it is real, honest-to-goodness hunger, most times it just goes away. At least, that is my experience today. Who knows what will happen in a few weeks or months.

Today I had oatmeal with evap milk, cinnamin, and brown sugar, along with 1 egg scrambled with cheese and herbs , lunch was roast pork loin with stuffing, gravy and extra green beens. Dinner was chicken pasta with a small yogurt and an orange. Pretty filling, all of it. And I felt satisfied.

gk, Hoeka, and ljk2009: thanks so much for your support! I really appreciate all the encouragement!
Last edited by sidney202 on Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hoeka

Post by Hoeka » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:43 am

Callie, so true what you said about urges disappearing when they are ignored. (Now, please explain why the urge to smoke is so much more tenacious than any other?)
You made it through your first week - well done!

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:02 pm

Callie302 wrote:The urge to munch comes, and then, once it is clear that it is not going to get satisfied,
it slinks away like a dog who knows its not going to get any table scraps.
Image Good analogy.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

moderatemeals

Post by moderatemeals » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:45 pm

Callie -
Great job on resisting the urges to snack. It's definitely hardest the first few weeks and then gets much easier. I still have my days when I really want to snack but all my meals taste so much better when I don't/

Hope you are having a successful day today :D
Lisa

sidney202

Post by sidney202 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:37 am

Day 8 Success!

(Was going to keep a separate journal, but I decided that was too much work, so going forward, my posts will be kind of like a journal/blog/ food log. Not sure if this jives with the "rules" of the board, so I invite you veterans to clue me in if I am doing something wrong here.)

Today was a good day. I have said that a lot lately and I am happy about that. Breakfast was oatmeal w/ raisins, brown sugar, evap milk and protein powder plus a link sausage for a little more protein. Lunch was my favorite from my work cafe: pan-fried chili-lime tilapia with steamed broccoli. Dinner was late ( almost 8 hours after lunch) so I ran to Panera Bread restaurant for take out: a cup of French onion soup with a 1/2 size chicken cobb salad with whole grain bread and real butter. I took it home and fit it on a plate. I scooped the butter out of four little plastic and foil individual tubs and spread it on the edge of my plate so I could see how much I was eating of it. My, it was a lot. I guess it was four teaspoons of butter. For a moment, "Dieter Callie" was tempted to scoop half of it into a napkin and throw it away. Then I thought, "So what. It fits on the plate." I ate it all with my whole grain roll, and it was good and filling. I can't believe that after only one week, I already think a dinner like that is filling. Just a week ago, I would have gotten the full-sized salad with extra dressing, a bowl of soup with extra cheese, and extra bread with extra butter. And a bear claw. Or two. And then to the grocery store for a pint of Ben and Jerry's Mint Chocolate Cookie ice cream. And a pint of B&J's Half-Baked for "later". How sad.

When I look at some of the other check-ins, even though I am not pigging out circa November 2010, I seem to be eating so much more food than others are. Or at least it looks that way to me. On one level, I wonder if I am still eating too much. I have challenged myself to not look at the scale all of December, so I don't know yet how much weight I have lost, but my pants are looser already, so I am pretty sure I have lost some weight. The first week is always the easiest in that regard, I suppose. Even if I am eating a bit much, I was eating so much more before, so this is progress.

As a little test, I tried on (and zipped up!), a couple of my size 14 pants today. I wear a 16 so this was a thrill for me. Don't get me wrong, they are obnoxiously tight, so I am not ready to claim "Lost a pants size!" just yet. But still, that was really cool.

gk

Post by gk » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:41 am

Callie-

I'm still fairly new at this, so I probably shouldn't be the one to dish out advice yet, but I'd stick with a heavier plate now and then if you need to. There were so many times when I was ready to chew off my arm I was so hungry, but I just resisted the urge and then when the next meal came up, I filled my plate a little on the heavy side that time. There were even a couple of "vertical plates" or plates that were less than healthy, but they were a "plate", so you're still abiding by the rules, right? I would feel good that I stuck to the rules and wouldn't become discouraged. And, the plates were large enough that I satisfied the extreme hunger that day. In my case, the heavy plates have have become fewer and fewer, and now my stomach feels overfull if I have a plate that is even slightly fuller than normal. Also, he did mention in his book that heavy plates in the beginning are okay and to not feel guilty about them.
Just a week ago, I would have gotten the full-sized salad with extra dressing, a bowl of soup with extra cheese, and extra bread with extra butter. And a bear claw. Or two. And then to the grocery store for a pint of Ben and Jerry's Mint Chocolate Cookie ice cream. And a pint of B&J's Half-Baked for "later". How sad.

Can totally relate! I can't believe how much food I used to eat until I started measuring it by a plate. And the yogart/ice cream I used to eat.....I was always embarrassed by how much of it was in my grocery cart, and relied on the fact that there are six people in my family to eat it. Never mind that NO ONE was EVER allowed to eat out of my stash of ice cream. And you know what? I don't even miss or even think about that ice cream now!

The scale is nice but your clothes are still the best judge, I think. Enjoy fitting into those jeans! Mine are a little baggier now, too. It's a good way to get me wide awake at 5:30 in the morning.....when you're cinching up your belt another notch and your pants are becoming baggy. What a great feeling, huh? :D Heck, before ya know it, your "obnoxiously tight pants" will be too big. :)

Have a good day and good luck!

moderatemeals

Post by moderatemeals » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:07 pm

Callie -
Great job! I enjoyed reading your entry and I think you will find that logging/journaling is very helpful. I always thought the meals I ate were so healthy and it was just the sweets that was my problem, but after logging for a month, I realized that my meals aren't as healthy as I thought. As a result, I'm trying to add more fruits and veggies to them. I am trying to take everything in baby steps because I really want these habits to hold!! I feel so much better physically, but most importantly, mentally!! It sounds like you are feeling the same way.

Great job and keep up the good work!!!
Lisa

sidney202

Post by sidney202 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:27 am

Day 9 Success!
Day 10 Success!
Day 11 Success!
Day 12 Success!
Day 13 Success!
Day 14 Success!

Been away for a while and playing catch up.

Things are going along pretty swimmingly. Not much interesting to say except that this weekend, while not what I would call wild, was certainly an S weekend. Lots (4 pieces over 2 days!) of decadant dark chocolate cake with buttercream frosting. It was delicious. The nice thing about my S days so far is that I truly treat myself: I eat good quality sweets. No vending machine candy for me. And of course, guilt free b/c they are S days. Although I ate more cake than I would have preferred, I really feel okay about it. Even when eating the cake, I didn't get the out of control feeling that I have experienced prior to No S. And that to me is a rousing success.

Ironically, the one thing that I am having trouble with is not food related: I promised myself that I would not weigh myself until the new year, and I was thissss close to caving this weekend. I can feel that clothes are getting less tight, and I want to know what are the results of these two weeks on No S. But I promised myself. And I will keep that promise if it kills me. And yesterday, it felt like it would.

gk

Post by gk » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:05 am

Callie-

Wow - you are doing great! I agree--learning control with food and enjoying it without guilt is a HUGE part of the success in my book. This diet deals with so much more than a number on the scale.

I'm impressed that you stuck to not weighing yourself. I didn't have that willpower when I started. I had the goal of waiting a month......and I made it four days. :lol:

You know, he said in his book that each meal is "like there is a spotlight on it", and that's so true! I've found that I pay so much more attention to what I'm eating and take the time to make a good meal, instead of all the processed quick foods I used to graze on all day before. Funny, how you see the book just unfold in front of you as you go along the journey.

You're doing awesome - keep up the good work! :)

sidney202

Post by sidney202 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:34 am

Day 15: Success!

Feels great to experience another successful day. Had to do a bit of virtual plating today for a work lunch event. Lunch was a buffet of mini sandwiches, potato salad and mini sweet treats (cream puffs, brownies and the like). Since, of course, I was not having the sweets, I decided that my lunch would be two small sandwiches and a scoop of potato salad which easily fit on the styofoam plate.

As one of the first persons to the buffet line, it would have been socially (and professionally) unacceptable to take two sandwiches before most folks had taken their first, so I took one sandwich with a scoop of potato salad to start, and then waited for everyone to take their first sandwich before taking the rest of my pre-determined one-plate meal. My one plate habit was so ingrained that it felt odd taking the second sandwhich, but I feel very comfortable that it fits within the No S vitual plating exemption given that 1) it all would have it on one plate and 2) putting it all on one plate initially was socially unacceptable. Still felt weird though.

Tonight at dinner, I incurred an issue that has cropped up a few times in the last few days. The issue is that my appetite has shrunk. At first blush, this seems like a good thing, but the issue is that lately, because of this, I have been making plates that don't contain enough food to last me until my next meal. Tonight was one such occurrence. After serving myself a plate of rice and Thai stir-fry with an orange, I realized half way through that I probably didn't have quite enough food. Darn. But I resisted the urge to get more. Instead, I started to chew really slowly to help the meal last a bit longer, and then I distracted myself for a few hours so as not to think about the leftovers calling me from the kitchen. Now it is bedtime and I survived without getting a second plate. Lesson to self: err on the side of more food, not less!

I am really pleased at how simple this has been for the past two weeks. If I can make it 4 more N days, I can make it to the 21 Day club next Monday. That is my goal right now. I will worry about the holidays after that.

moderatemeals

Post by moderatemeals » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:34 pm

Callie -
Great job!! I am so happy to see your successes!

Also, great job resisting the urge to get more food even though you felt as though you probably didn't take enough. I've had my fair share of failures over the course of my No S days and I've always found that it becomes a slippery slope if you start bending the rules or justifying adding more to your plate-- so great job resisting that temptation!

Keep up the good work! I know you will have a great weigh-in come January!

Lisa

sidney202

Post by sidney202 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:54 am

Day 16: Success

Breakfast: sausage, egg, cheese sandwich and oatmeal from Starbucks
Lunch: 3 meatballs with cheese, small green salad and a 1/2 cup steamed veggies
Dinner: frozen dinner and two 4-oz yogurts.

Just crankin along. Not much new happening. Will be glad when my schedule permits time for me to cook again. I have been eating frozen food, eating in the office cafeteria, and eating at restaurants a lot. What I would really like is to make myself a curry. Alas, given how busy work is lately, I almost need to make cooking a NY's resolution! It's that rare an occurrence lately.

Next week I am traveling home to visit my dad and brothers and their families for the holidays. I don't think I will be tempted, but I do worry about not being able to plan my mealtimes in advance. I can't arrive at brother's house and announce that "if we plan a family outing, I will need to know in advance when the next meal occurs b/c I no longer eat snacks." Um, no. That won't work. But since I am not planning on renting a car, I am beholden to those with transportation regarding when and where I will find sustenance. So, whether I like it or not, I must engage them if I hope to be able to stick to NoS for a week while there. Hmmm. I don't have a plan yet, but I am sure it will all work out in the end.

Greta and Lisa, thanks for the help and encouragement!

gk

Post by gk » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:26 am

Callie-

Thanks for your post! It was so nice to see results after all the struggles over the past month. And SO worth it. As much as I'm happy over the weight loss, I think I'm even happier about the stop to all the emotional eating. Love this diet. :D

You are so close to the 21-day mark and you've sailed through it so easily. Great job!

Isn't it nice how the No S Diet can be flexible enough to follow anywhere and in most any situation (nice virtual plating at work, by the way). You just have to tweak it a bit and you can still be on track.

I know what you mean about your stomach shrinking and then having to get used to how much food to take. I've learned to take a plateful whether I'm that hungry or not, but to leave one food portion untouched (say an apple or orange) until the end. That way if I'm not hungry for it after everything else, I can just put it back. Or if I ended up being more hungry after all, I have enough food and won't break the no seconds rule. Win, win every time.

Good luck with No S'ing while visiting your family. If you can't stick to it completely, no worries. You've done so good so far, as long as you keep your food intake in check (virtual "day" instead of virtual "plate"), you'll be okay. Plus, Reinhard's whole philosophy is that dieting shouldn't make you feel you're constantly depriving yourself. It's the holidays - ENJOY. You've earned it!

sidney202

Post by sidney202 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:31 am

Day 17: Success
Day 18: Success

Yesterday is a blur. Not even going to try to remember what I ate.

Today, I had a 3-egg Denver omelette and a piece of dry raisin toast for bfast. It was delicious, but by lunch time I was starving. Still trying to get meal sizes right. So for lunch, I had a meal that certainly a very generous one-plate meal: 8 oz seafood chowder, side salad and fries. Funny, I just finish posting in KCCC's thread about making better food choices. And I do. I don't always forgo the fried food, but I certainly eat additional vegetables and fruit to help me feel as if I got some nutrition. Dinner was a large salad and a couple pieces of fresh baked bread with butter.

This Saturday and Sunday will be days 19 and 20 of my 21 day-club odessey. My, how time flies. If I can keep my nose clean on Monday, I will have made it!

Still wondering what my weight is. I think that after honoring the promise to myself that I would weigh in only after a full month, I will start weighing weekly at least. It would be helpful to understand how my choices are affecting my weight. I think it might be easier to pair my choices with the effect they have on my body if I can measure my weight days after eating in a certain manner vs. weeks after.

Other than not exercising, it was a good day.

Hoeka

Post by Hoeka » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:01 am

Fresh-baked read .... you have my drooling all over the laptop. I'm pretty close to useless in the kitchen, but one thing I want to do next year is to bake sourdough bread

I also still battle with meal sizes: I tend to overload my plate, and then discard some of the food. This is something that, with experience, will fix itself over time.

Looking forward to see your name up in lights at Club 21
Our bodies are our gardens to which our wills are gardeners - Shakespeare

sidney202

Post by sidney202 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:22 am

Day 19: Success
Day 20: Success
Day 21: Success

21 days ! I did it. Feel great. I even managed to survive the S days, which counterintuitively were more distressing in some ways than the N days.

I can tell my clothes are loose, but I don't know how much weight I have lost yet. Will weigh in Jan 2. But I have written it before on this board and I will write it again: if I never lose a pound on No S, I will continue to make it a part of my life because of the sanity around food that I experience. For five days out of seven anyway. :)

gk

Post by gk » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:27 am

Congrats, Callie!! Good job on your 21 days!

I agree - this diet brings a much appreciated sense of calmness to food habits.

Glad to hear it is going so well for you - keep it up! You're doing awesome!

sidney202

Post by sidney202 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:01 pm

Dec 21: Success
Dec 22:Success w/funny stuff
Dec 23: Failure!

I am surprised Wednesday, Dec 22, was a success since my schedule was a mess. I worked a terrifically long day, finally shutting off my computer at 4 AM. I packed a bag in 15 minutes and immediately drove to the airport to catch a 6 AM plane home for the holidays. I ate trail mix and granola bars out of the airport vending machines for breakfast. Nothing else was available as ours is a very small, 4 -gate airport with no restaurant access once you have passed security. I had an in-flight meal of the $6.00 "snack box" of canned chix salad (yuck), processed cheese spread (double yuck) wheat thins, and Pringles. The whole lunch made me gag, but I was hours away from real food and I was starved. The funny stuff is this: I am battling a cold, and upon descent into SFO, the pressure started to hurt my ears something fierce. One ear eventually popped, but pressure continued to build painfully behind the other ear. I asked the flight attendant for gum to chew to try to relieve the pressure. She didn't have any, but she offered two small bags of peanuts. I took them and chewed them one at a time as we descended. My ear never popped (still hasn't two days later, in fact) but chewing did help. Technically, they weren't a part of my meal, and could be construed as a snack, but under the heading of S days including sick days in which you can "do whatever you have to to make yourself feel better" the 15 peanuts are not a failure in my book. I finished out the day with a dinner of soup/salad.

However, yesterday was a failure, without a doubt. I started well in the AM, eating grits, eggs, bacon. I almost slipped up when my brother, who I had briefed on No S, offered me an extra spoonful of grits. In a moment of lapsed attention, I replied, "sure". At which he gleefully piped up, "NO! You can't have seconds! Ha, ha, ha!". So I don't know whether to thank him for helping me stay on track, or throttle him for tempting me just so he could have a laugh at my expense. Either way, I didn't fail at breakfast.

My failure came after my lunch of shredded wheat and banana, and before my dinner at a restaurant with my oldest and dearest hometown friends. Before dinner, I went to one of my friends' house to visit a while his sisters and parents. One of his sisters, a former chef at Cesar, a delightful little bistro in Berkeley, CA, was at the stove cooking a Thomas Keller (my favorite chef of all time) recipe of lobster poached in a buerre monte over mashed potatoes. I knew that I had already had lunch, and that I was definitely going to have dinner at the restaurant, so having some would be considered a snack. Plus, I realized that by having some, I would log my first failure ever, but I didn't care one bit! This was way too good to pass up. I had some, and it was divine! The texture of the lobster was perfect, delicate and tender. I don't regret it one bit. So it was a failure, but one that I will fondly remember. Dinner at the restaurant was good Italian food, but nothing special. The best part of dinner by far was the company.

moderatemeals

Post by moderatemeals » Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:56 pm

Callie -
That snack sounded worth it! And in the spirit of developing habits that last the long haul, I think you were right to enjoy something that was a one-off treat instead of denying yourself -- which in my opinion would seem very much like a strict diet. I think once it feels like a strict diet, one is much more likely to quit it. Plus, I bet you made your chef friend feel special by trying some and complimenting her on it :)

Best of luck to you over the holidays. I'm going to start posting/logging again after Christmas. Just wanted to touch base and say thank you for the kind words on my thread!

Lisa

gk

Post by gk » Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:35 pm

Callie-

I agree with Lisa---it's good that you had the lobster. Too strict will set you up for a failure. Plus, it's the holidays - time to enjoy!

Thank you for your post! Your support means alot to me. I'm headed out of town for a week, so I'm taking a break until around Jan. 4th or so. Will resume my logging then.

I hope you have a wonderful Christmas and Happy New Year! Thanks again! :)