Hoeka's check-in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Hoeka

Hoeka's check-in

Post by Hoeka » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:05 pm

My first day on No S, and things went well, but then I guess most first days do :D

No S
B: veg omelet, fruit
L: veg & chicken wrap, fruit
S: chicken, asparagus, sugarsnap peas, potato

Exercise
Walked about 3 kms, then turned back because a water pipe had burst, and I really didn't feel like wading in mud. My dog enjoyed himself, though - probably thought everything was laid on just for him!

sidney202

Post by sidney202 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:40 am

Hoeka!

Glad to see your first day went well. By the way, I can't claim that all my first days on former diets went well. Some were abandoned by lunch time! And good job on the exercise even though it was a bit shorter than you expected. The point is you got out there. Well Done.

Hoeka

Post by Hoeka » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:03 am

2/12/2010

No S
I decided that our book club's year-end get-together warrants a Special day. The rest of the day was fine.
The book club evening was lovely. We had booked to go on a game drive at a small game reserve just outside of town, only to discover that the GR had no record of our booking - even though we had a reference number for the booking! We then did the drive on our own, and had champagne & snacks at the lake, watching the hippos in the water. The drizzle didn't deter us at all! I had trout for supper, no starter, no dessert. Lots of fun, lots of talking, lots of laughter.

Glass ceiling
Well, we started with champagne, which should tell you enough about this fail.

Exercise
I haven't been on my bike on ages & am terribly unfit, and set myself a very modest target. In the end, I did double the distance. Very proud of myself.

sidney202

Post by sidney202 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:39 am

Hoeka,
Glad to see that you had a pretty good day.
Well, we started with champagne, which should tell you enough about this fail.
Ah, unfortunate! But brush yourself off and try again. You have a lot going on (getting started with NO S, employing the Glass Ceiling rule, and restarting Exercise all at the same time) so go easy on yourself.
I haven't been on my bike on ages & am terribly unfit, and set myself a very modest target. In the end, I did double the distance. Very proud of myself.
Way to go!

Hoeka

Post by Hoeka » Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:01 pm

Thanks for the encouragement, Callie!

Overslept by an hour this morning, and felt really out of sorts because of this.

No S
Had lunch with friends, including one who's moving back to South Africa. Had a really nice piece of sole. Good fish for supper twice in a row - yum.
Supper was awful - I'd managed to cremate whatever it was I meant to eat!!!

Exercise
Because I'd overslept, I only went walking at about 7, and it already was much too hot to really enjoy my walk.

Glass ceiling
Uhm: lunch

sidney202

Post by sidney202 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:15 am

Keep up the good work!

Hoeka

Post by Hoeka » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:19 am

No S
Things went quite well on both Saturday and Sunday: ate my normal meals, although at odd hours, with nothing inbetween & no esses. Had to remind myself to eat breakfast: I really don't like eating it, & mine generally resembles lunch

Exercise
I've exempted myself from exercise over week-ends, but think I should do it on at least one day.

Glass ceiling
Grrrrrrr

Hoeka

Post by Hoeka » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:32 am

Monday 6 Dec

No S
Another green square on Habitcal - so happy!

Exercise
Not as much as I'd want, though

Glass ceiling

sidney202

Post by sidney202 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:40 am

Way to go Hoeka!

You had a completely Green day. I noticed that this is your first fully green day since December 1. Are you finding it any easier now?

Hoeka

Post by Hoeka » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:40 pm

Callie, No S hasn't been much of a problem - in fact, Sat & Sun were more N-ish than S-ish. My real problem is the glass ceiling; also the main reason for the excess weight I'm carrying. Should maybe do a longer post about that, I'm sure there's lots of advice out there

Tues 7/12

No S

Planned our Christmas menu. It'll be a quiet one this year: my parents, a quarter of my brothers, his fiancee, my parents' neighbours, who'll be alone at home over Christmas. Way too hot here this time of year for a traditional meal, so lots of things that can be made ahead of time and served cold on the menu: I really don't want to spend hours in a sweltering kitchen. Whatever can be done outside, either on the braai or gas, will happen outside. Net result of all this plannning: I didn't feel much for cooking/eating. Had 3 meals though, just not very healthy.

Exercise
Overcast this morning - perfect for walking

Glass ceiling

sidney202

Post by sidney202 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:59 am

Kudos again on a perfect day.

By the way, we are supposed to get 8 inches of snow tomorrow. Wish I could trade you about 6 of those inches for about 20 degrees (F) of your heat. If only. :)

Hoeka

Post by Hoeka » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:41 am

Oops, haven't checked in for a few days!

Wed 8/12/2010
No S

Exercise

Glass ceiling

Thurs 9/12/2010

No S

Exercise

Glass ceiling

Callie, thanks for popping in. Weather's been quite good lately - hot, but not unbearably so.

Hoeka

Post by Hoeka » Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:47 am

Friday 10/12/2010

No S

Exercise

Glass ceiling

I was all set up to stick to the glass ceiling when a friend joined me for lunch ... :cry:

Hoeka

Post by Hoeka » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:35 am

Saturday 11/12/2010

No S

Exercise

Glass ceiling

Sunday 12/12/2010

No S

Exercise

Glass ceiling

sidney202

Post by sidney202 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:11 am

Hi Hoeka,

It looks like you are having a pretty easy time of it with No S. From the beginning you have just sailed along!That is great!

It also looks like you had a bit of a challenge with the Glass Ceiling this past weekend. Don't let it get you down--just stick with it. And once you get a couple days under your belt, it will get easier, not harder!

Remember-you can do it!

Hoeka

Post by Hoeka » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:12 pm

OOOOOPS :oops:

Getting really bad about checking in

So far, things have been going well ito No S and exercise. Keep tripping up on the glass ceiling, though

Mon 13 Nov 2010

No S

Exercise

Glass ceiling

Tue 14 Nov 2010

No S

Exercise

Glass ceiling

Exercise has been a problem: it's been raining on and off since Sunday. My normal walking route is along a dirt road, and I really don't feel like walking in the mud. Have been exercising indoors, but without enjoying it.
Not complaining though - we really need the rain.

Callie, the glass ceiling will always be a problem, methinks. I'll find a way of licking it, though

Hoeka

Post by Hoeka » Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:26 am

Wed 15/12/2010

No S

Exercise

Glass ceiling

Yay, an all-green day!

Came veryveryvery close to cracking yesterday (Wed) afternoon. Decided that I would have an early supper. The hunger pains then seemed to disappear, and I actually had supper later than normal. One reason for this hunger is that I have not been eating healthy all week: no junk, but not enough veg, fruit. Think I should start planning meals again.

Rain seems to have let up - we had 35 mm overnight, more than 100 mm since Sunday - more than our December average.

sidney202

Post by sidney202 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:00 am

Three all green days in a row! Congrats! What do you think has been different that has helped you have three green glass ceilings? Think about the reasons for your success these last few days and use the memory of this to pull you through the rest of December. Excellent job, Hoeka!

Hoeka

Post by Hoeka » Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:04 pm

Thurs 16/12/2010

Another bad breakfast day: I really really really don't like breakfast, and have to force myself to eat it. Just can't stomach food - even the thought of it - so early in the morning. I try to eat breakfast at 7, lunch at 1, supper at 7. Perhaps I should eat breakfast later: 10 feels like a much more civilised hour, and have a smoothie. Will try it for a while.

No S

Execise

Glass ceiling

Callie, the glass ceiling thing is, well, I was going to say complicated, but it's not true: set a limit, stick to it. I'm OK at home, but the moment I'm in a social setting, I lose it. The reasons for this are many: self-control, outside influences, instant gratification - I could go on and on.
I know what I have to do, I simply don't stick to my resolutions. Biggy to tackle next year: at the moment, I feel as if I don't have the emotional energy for this. Aluta continua!
Our bodies are our gardens to which our wills are gardeners - Shakespeare