KCCC's 2011 Check-in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

kccc

Post by kccc » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:45 pm

Feeling a bit overwhelmed by work and life...

On No-S... yesterday, I was suddenly quite hungry around 4:30. Tummy-growling hungry. My biggest reaction was surprise - I used to get hungry then, but haven't in a while. Thought about going to get a cafe-au-lait, but it was so close to time to leave, and I had a few things left to do...

By the time I left work, my tummy had stopped rumbling. When I got home at suppertime, I was no hungrier than usual, and ate a normal dinner. Guess the tummy toddler just wanted to throw a tantrum for some reason.

Last night was a bit hard, though - the overwhelm crested when I came home to grumpy people. That's been true the last few nights, and I've been able to cheer people up... last night, I was out of oomph and resentful - I want someone to cheer ME up, thank you very much. By the time other people were more cheerful, I was in a thoroughly rotten mood and just wanted to be left alone.

Normally, that would be a recipe for disaster. Over-eating, staying up late doing mindless things, etc. Last night, I sent my toddler-self to bed. A better choice.

And today is better. I have work to do, but am facing it. If I can reach benchmark X, then I can let go and relax.

So off I go.

Br - eggs, toast, about 2 ounces fresh-squeezed juice (oranges needed using; I squeezed 3 and split it between the three of us)

Not sure what treats I will have today. The girl down the street has Girl Scout cookies for us, but I have to confess I'm not as excited about them as I used to be. Don't know if the quality has dropped or my standards raised... but...::shrug::

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:58 pm

Like you said, off you go. :)

Nice recovery. Way to stick with it and overcome your inner-toddler.
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

kccc

Post by kccc » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:04 pm

Mini-break. Have done a massive re-write on the article draft due Sunday night. Some more to do, but this was good. And I'll have a little more work time later. :) So, am in much better temper.

It's a bleak day here, after several days of early spring. I have a fire going, and am enjoying it. Don't do that often - seems more trouble than it's worth unless I'm going to be here a while.

Lunch - salmon burgers, green beans, tomato slices.
S - one truffle, 5 gumdrops.

I want to make myself some of Wosnes' chocolate pudding, but am holding off. Son will want some if I make it while he's here. He's going to a birthday sleepover in a bit; I know he'll get tons of junk there, so I'd rather he didn't have additional sweets before he left. So I'll wait, because I don't want him to have that much and don't want to argue and... well, it would be rude to have it without sharing. (Funny - it wouldn't occur to him to ASK for a dessert in the middle of the day out of the blue...unless it was THERE. Just seeing it triggers expectation. Better to keep it out of sight, out of mind.)

kccc

Post by kccc » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:49 pm

For the rest of yesterday...

S - had my chocolate pudding after son went to his sleepover, the "individual" serving that's really two servings worth. I spaced them out - one warm, one after it had cooled.
D - leftover salmon burger, chips and salsa. Light on veg (unless the salad I piled on the burger and the mass quantities of salsa count), but hey...
S - bakery chocolate mousse and 2 glasses of wine

Since son was at the sleepover, hubby and I got a non-kid-safe movie from Redbox and went to the bakery for treats when we picked it up. We got expensive single-serve items - a nice indulgence with no leftovers! :) A cozy in-house date for a rainy night.

kccc

Post by kccc » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:35 am

Sunday...

Exercise... yoga class. Intense. I will be a bit sore, and was too exhausted by the end to manage the final wheel pose. (But I did handstand... and some others that were tough for me. Still doing handstand against the wall, and still need a slight assist to get up.)

Br - egg in a hole, 1/2 pear
L - 2 slices pizza
S - chocolate mousse (yes, another -from a better bakery),
D - chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy, roasted squash and carrots, salad, figs.
S - Girl Scout Thin Mints - about 6, I think. I'm over them.

kccc

Post by kccc » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:35 pm

Okay, I lied. I wasn't over the Thin Mints. I ate 6 more before bedtime.

Now I'm really over them. (Have to be. It's an N-day.)

Exercise - Monday Yogalates. A more intense one than usual - this instructor usually does a nice stretchy, relaxing session, and did a lot of salutations and planks and chatteranga this time around. After yesterday, I'm feeling it.

Br - yogurt, apple
L - (Planned) - leftover chicken, mashed potatos, squash; salad; figs
D - TBD. Still have leftover chicken to turn into something... and trying to use up fruit/veg before we travel during spring break. Could do chicken quesadillas, or something else entirely.

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:25 am

Dinner was the leftover chicken in a Parmesan risotto (I cheated - it's from a box), cooked carrots, and mango and kiwi.

My family loved the risotto. I did too, but it falls in the category of "health junk food"... well, not quite junk. "Health processed food." That means that it's sold as extra healthy, in a grocery that caters to organic, etc. But... it's still highly processed. I bought it to try, but think that - even though it was a big hit - I'd rather take another try making my own. (Past efforts at risotto have not gone well - I've ended up with a sticky mess, which is why I got this.)

It did taste good.

For tomorrow...

Br (planned) - yogurt, apple
L (planned) - ham and cheese sandwich on homemade whole-wheat bread, salad, figs.
D - TBD, but it will feature thin-sliced pork sirloin and red cabbage, because that's what I've got to use up. Something vaguely Asian, I think - stir fry of some sort. We'll see.

I am SORE from the yoga classes these last few days. In a good way - I can tell I'm building strength. It really is showing on some of the standing poses, and I'm holding handstand longer (though I still need a slight assist to get up, and still put my heels against a wall). However, I am glad that tomorrow I'm just walking for exercise...

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:05 pm

Walking this morning (plus abs), and my pedometer fritzed on me. I am bummed. It gives me a target, and I like that.

Oh well. I walked a middling amount...I can either set an arbitrary number and try to go from here (assuming my ped will work) or give it up and do some bedtime yoga and call it good. Option B is speaking to me - I could use some stretching.

In other news, my weight seems to be dropping a bit. Nothing earthshaking, but I've been hanging at the bottom of my 144-146 range for a while and sometimes dipping below. In fact, it's been a while since I've seen 146, and this morning I was 142.5. I don't know if it's because of the regular yoga I've added in, my efforts to hit 10,000 on the pedometer 3x/week, or if I've somehow started eating less (doesn't feel like it). Or maybe, it's just Spring and I'm losing seasonal weight.

Feels a bit good, but not earth-shaking. In my younger days, before kid, I tended to weigh around 135. I'd settled for being around 145 now, and was fine with that. Both numbers are within healthy BMI range for my height... so I'll just keep on doing what I'm doing (eat moderately, move moderately) and see what happens.

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:01 pm

Dinner last night was a stir-fry with cabbage, onion, and pork, with sesame oil, soy sauce, and a bit of hoisin. Served it in flour tortillas, like a mock Mu-Shu. Sliced red bell peppers and mango as sides.

Today...
Br - PB&J on 1 slice homemade bread
L - One plate at my favorite place, mostly veg. I did indulge in a buttermilk biscuit for my "carb" - usually I'm more into whole grains. It was good.
D (planned) - sausages, potato wedges, veg and fruit TBD

Off-topic meanderings...I'm dealing with two groups of people, each of whom want to "bad-mouth" the others in front of me. I am trying to maintain relationships with both sides, and not finding it easy! I have felt very "caught" in that I don't want to join them in talking badly about the other group, but when I try to present another perspective, I become the enemy myself because I give them someone to argue with. Plus, I've been feeling very judgmental about both sides - I feel they're being petty, childish, unreasonable, etc. And I've become more and more annoyed over it.

Today I had a mental breakthrough on how to deal: Hold compassion for the person in front of me. Let go of judgment about their behavior, and respond instead to their emotions behind the behavior... which are mostly based in pain. I still will not join them in "bad-mouthing," but nor will I argue. I'll just empathize with their feelings ("you sound distressed") and ask questions ("what would make you feel this was resolved?").

That may not help them, but I think it will help me a lot.

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:12 pm

That's a very difficult situation to be in. It is so draining and very difficult to refrain from being sucked into the conversation. I think your tactic is excellent - and I think it will help because it will force them to reflect and analyse, which is no bad thing. Good luck :)

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:23 pm

Thanks, IDK! It feels better to me... if I can just hold on to that resolution in the moment. Will do my best.

Forgot to mention this revelation came to me in yoga class, where.... drum roll, please... I managed a headstand. Twice. And held it. With NO assist of any kind. A triumph for the day.

The biggest lessons in yoga for me are managing frustration and accepting slow, non-linear change... very much like No-S. My balance... well, let's just say balance poses are very challenging for me. Sometimes totally frustrating - and the more frustrated I get, the worse I do. However, if I look back over months, I'm SO much improved from where I was. As long as I keep "showing up to the mat" and then "be where I am" (and avoid comparing myself to others - that way lies madness), I will continue to make progress. Not linearly, but over time.

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:12 pm

Yesterday - dinner was sausage, potato wedges, salad, red pepper strips, and pear/apple slices (about 3/4 of a fruit total). Yummy!

I like the sausages we get. They come from an organic grocery, and are chicken-based with no hormones/nitrates. And they taste really good!

Today

Walking and abs. Pedometer seems to be behaving, but I'm low on steps (4700). Spent too long on abs/planks.

Br - yogurt and apple
L - leftover stir-fry (pork, cabbage), salad, potato wedges, figs. A slightly large lunch b/c of the potato wedges, which I intend to enjoy.
D - TBD. We're in "use it up before traveling" mode, but I did buy salad because I love it so much. Probably pasta or a bean dish.

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:03 pm

Yesterday - dinner was filled pasta with pesto, salad, and fruit.

We actually tried a new pasta from Trader Joe's - lobster filled. It was great, but the package was small enough (2.5 servings, it said) that I wasn't sure we'd all three get enough - especially since son is at growth-spurt stage - so also cooked plain cheese tortellini . Sure enough, divided it into portions, and he ate it up and asked for the tortellini. Hubby and I were fine - took the rest of the tortellini for lunches.

And I got my 10,000 steps in yesterday, despite a slow start... marching in place while sorting laundry and selecting work clothes really adds up, lol! (Though I feel foolish.)

Exercise this morning - step class. It isn't killer anymore, just a good workout. I do feel it, but now can make it all the way through without having to drop out/down at any point.

Br - yogurt, pear
L - tortellini and pesto, salad, figs
D - going out for local pizza

The pizza is because I HAVE pretty much cleaned out the kitchen, plus we have a coupon for a local restaurante we like. And it's Friday... that feels festive but No-S compliant (if I'm reasonable, which I intend to be).

Starting tomorrow, we're traveling for a week, and I'm on "vacation mod". For me that means one S-event per day as long as it's "s-worthy". No junk candy just because I can... only the local specialities or something that is extraordinarily good. :) My "inner snob" can work overtime on making decisions for me.

kccc

Post by kccc » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:50 am

Friday night - slice and spinach salad. Good. And I did NOT have dessert with my family when the wonderful bakery next to the pizza place ended up being open late. Who kn they did that on Fridays?

Saturday... No exercise (yet, anyway).

Br- cheese toast and cinnamon toast on homemade bread
L - pizza leftovers (2 slices), Clementine
D - beef and veggie stew, crackers
S - sweet potato pie after dinner, meringue cookies in the afternoon, 3 Girl Scout thin mints (last of the box from last week)

kccc

Post by kccc » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:24 am

Managed 15 minutes of stretching at night on Saturday...

Sunday

Br - sausage biscuit and strawberries
L - slice pizza, 6 figs
S - meringue cookies; half a ham sandwich b/c dinner was late.
D- dinner out at China Buffet... more than one plate.

No exercise on Sunday yet...

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:19 am

Traveling... habits need attention.

No exercise Sunday or Monday - and I feel it. I stretched every time we got out of the car, but still...

Monday - fail. It was our "long travel day" and I didn't switch back to N-day thinking after 2 S-days of travel.

Br - omelet with cheese, bell peppers, onions, and mushrooms (courtesy of my sis)
L - KFC "snack" - one piece of grilled chicken and potato wedges (fries). I meant to have fruit when we got back to the car, but got distracted because I realized I had not booked our hotel for that night (we'd changed plans). So... it was hours after that when I realized I'd missed my fruit and was hungry, and I ate 3 dried figs. Not legit - too far apart in time for virtual plating, so it was a snack.
D - We went to a nice restaurant (though rather late) because I wanted REAL VEGGIES. Lovely dinner of Portobella mushrooms and grilled veggies with balsamic vinegar. However... I also had some of my son's fries AND a cookie at the end (which was a bakery-style cookie, but not that special.)

My S-vacation-mod is to allow something special each day. But fries and ordinary cookies are not worth it.

Today, I intend to get some exercise, even if it's just 15 minutes of yoga in our room. So there.

ETA: Got a 20-minute Pilates routine in. It's amazing how much better I feel when I move.

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:16 pm

Tuesday...

Br - Whole wheat toast with PB and banana, coffee
L - crepes with salmon, creme cheese, and dill, salad (little crepe restaurant that we went to - delicious!)
D - chili, bread, coleslaw and a tiny piece of cheesecake at step-mom-in-law's (I guess that's what she is officially... sounds so weird.)
S - The dessert cheesecake. I liked it, but I like cheesecake in general.

==
Wednesday

Did a good yoga session this morning, early. A sun salutation series, which was intense enough to make me break a sweat even though it was only 20 minutes long. I was pleased - this is a podcast, and I've struggled with it before and usually completed only the first part (slow-moving intro) and bailed when the movements got faster than I could do. After all my yoga classes, I found it at just the right level for me now. :)

Today is our 20th anniversary. Since we're traveling, neither of us had cards for each other. So we had a big hug and a moment of "how can it be this long when it seems like only yesterday..." We won't have time today to celebrate - will visiting with hubby's dad's widow, who is still in her first year of loss and grieving. They were married for 10 years after hubby's mom died, and were very happy together. She has been "grandma" to my son, and we are quite fond of her. So, we'll do something nice later (and we did go out for a nice meal on Monday, when we arrived).

Br - English muffin with PB, orange juice, coffee.

Have no idea what lunch and dinner will be, but I'll have one plate of whatever looks best to me and it will be fine. And an S-event, if desired.
(The one-S-event is a good mod for me. I walked by the breakfast pastries this morning at the hotel and for a moment, they tempted me - they always look better than they ARE, but I forget that they aren't that good. The knowledge that I could have one for today's mod if I really wanted it returned that to my memory quickly. No, not worth it. I'll wait for better.)

librarylady

Post by librarylady » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:41 pm

I like this bit about having one "S" event on vacation. We are planning to go to Germany this summer and I have been trying to figure how I should handle the eating. Whenever we go to Europe I usually walk so much that I do not gain weight (sometimes lose) and the portions in restaurants over there are much smaller. But there are beer and pastries to contend with. I think this vacation "mod" of yours is a sensible and doable one!

Thanks for sharing it

kccc

Post by kccc » Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:12 am

Back home, and glad to be here. Laundry is almost done. Almost. Need to go grocery shopping...

Let's see... Wednesday, con't

L - Plate of hummus, pita bread, carrots, and fruit
D - Pizza (2 slices)
S - chocolate (we visited Hershey's) and cheesecake again

Thursday...
Made it to DC, and went to the Museum of Natural History. I logged 9200 steps, and think I actually got 10,000 (didn't have the pedometer on all day).

Br - English muffin with PB, orange
L - Spinach salad with goat cheese, and one slice of pizza (met my niece in DC, and went to a restaurant of her choosing)
D - Dinner at a friend's house - we stayed with his family. Salad, chicken, potatoes, fruit, Really good.
S - Three Pepperidge Farms cookies, some more Hershey's chocolate (but not much)

Friday...
Lots of driving. No exercise.
Br - cereal and milk
L - Wendy's - half salad plus baked potato
D - Chinese buffet. I ate a LOT - several plates. :(
S - chocolates after Wendy's, plus the seconds at the China place.
(I consider this day a "failure." Too much S.)

Saturday
Lots of driving. No exercise.
Br - pancake with fruit, sausage patty
L - Salad, broccoli, small steak (very good)
D- chicken, salad, crackers, cheese
S - LOTS of chocolate while driving. Nuts. Figs.
Really too much stuff, and I feel icky from it. So I'm quitting. Hope tomorrow is better.

Very, very, very glad to be home (got in about 6PM). Was wonderful to see everyone, but I really don't like vacations that are mostly driving. I drive too much, and I am so tired of it! What I really want for a vacation is to GO someplace and STAY there and not even get in a car the whole time.

This week was not that.

But... we needed to go. And given that, it was good.

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:18 pm

KCCC wrote: What I really want for a vacation is to GO someplace
and STAY there and not even get in a car the whole time.
Image KCCC, I totally agree with that.
Those are my favorite vacations.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

kccc

Post by kccc » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:38 pm

Ah, well, BA, can't always do that. Given the drive, it was a good vacation.

==
Back in the normal routine. Weighed this morning, and have in fact gained a good bit... 147, which is 4-5 lbs up. Not a biggie, though. Some of that is just usual "post S-days" bloat, which will be gone by Wednesday (my "official" weigh-in day). Some is extra, but I don't intend to give it time to settle. In the past, I'd panic about a gain of this size and immediately make it worse. These days? Just get back on track. It will take care of itself.

Did my last yoga class in the Anusara series on Sunday. A lot of side body and shoulder openers, which felt wonderful after all the driving - just what I needed to "uncrunch" me. And more yoga (different class) this morning. Good start back to normal.

Br - Greek yogurt with blackberries added, banana
L (planned) - chicken quesadilla, salad, pear
D (planned) - cheese tortellini with pesto, salad, broccoli, fruit

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:59 pm

Yesterday as planned. I am actually sore from the yoga, as if I'd worked out with weights or something else that required muscle strength. I don't know how yoga got a rep as a "light" exercise - it's the most challenging thing I've ever done. (Okay, it varies a lot...there are yoga forms that are more for relaxation, and gym yoga classes that are low-challenge because they're trying to keep them more accessible...)

This morning...
Walking plus abs for exercise Ped at 6000, which means I'll have to pay attention if I want to make 10,000.

Br - Greek yogurt, banana
L (planned) - chicken quesadillas, apple, salad
D - TBD. We have a 7:00 meeting, so will meet up with the family somewhere for dinner. Many options in the area of the meeting, and I'm letting the guys pick. Whereever we go, I get one plate. :)

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:29 am

Dinner last night was Ryan's. I had one plate.

Got in my 10,000 steps, but it took about 1000 steps of marching about the house before bed. Sigh. I am truly envious of people who naturally have a reasonable level of activity in their normal day-to-day routine. Oh well - better to have to work at it than not have it.

Br - 1/2 multi-grain bagel, PB, and fruit
L (planned) - one plate at fave place
D (planned) - Ham and barley crock-pot dish. We'll see how that goes over.

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:22 pm

Exercise- yoga class. Wow, that was quite a class. Hard work - I was shaky by the end of it, and expect to be sore. In a good way, though. I can tell I'm building strength, but in a way that also builds better alignment.

Lunch was interesting. The deli bar didn't look that attractive to me today, so I decided to get a slice of pizza (hot pizza by the slice is a new addition, which I'd noticed but hadn't tried) and take it home to eat with salad. I got a few "salad toppings" from the salad bar (I had salad at home), and thought that would be great. And it was.

However, the "slice" was 1/4 pizza. A smaller pizza than one I'd have at a pizza place, to be sure, but still, my reaction was "that's too much." I looked at it and decided that half of that was a serving.

So there's another slice left for another lunch, either mine or hubby's.

The barley and ham dish came out well. I will have to remember cooking barley in a crockpot! It was done after about 4 hours, but I needed to hold it longer, so kept stirring in extra cups of water - ended up with about half again as much as I'd had initially. The result was very risotto-like, creamy and rich-tasting, with the ham and onion cooked to shreds in in. Delicious. Even my son, who "hates ham", liked it. Salad and strawberries made a meal.

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:45 pm

Exercise - walking plus abs. Pedometer at 6300... I predict some marching around the house in my evening!

Br - Greek yogurt, banana
L (planned) - leftover barley/ham risotto, salad, apple and figs. I left the pizza slice for my husband because I liked the barley so much! (It was hard not to take seconds last night.)
D (planned) - homemade chicken "nuggets", potatoes, veg/fruit TBD (I get a veggie box tonight!)

More of the vacation weight "settled" than I'd thought - still at 146. Which is top of my "old range," so liveable, at least temporarily. (I'd just dropped to more like 142-145, generally 143-ish.) However, with Spring on the way, it's not a big deal - maintenance is always easier for me in good weather.

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:08 pm

Yesterday as planned, minus the apple at lunch - forgot to pack it. Dinner veg was cauliflower and red bell pepper, plus some blueberries. They tasted very dessert-y to me, even without any added sugar. One of the benefits of No-S is that your taste buds wake up. Hm... that's less No-S than my choice to cut down on processed foods, I guess. But it's a benefit, all the same.

And - thanks to a meeting in another building - I did NOT have to march to get in my 10,000 steps. Plus, I did bedtime yoga. (I'd mentioned the evening sequence to another poster, and it reminded me how nice it felt... posting here does ME so much good!)

Today - step class

Br - yogurt, and that forgotten apple from yesterday
L (planned) - leftover chicken nuggets and potatoes, salad, figs
D - TBD. We have some leftover barley risotto, and I'm thinking there's probably enough... but we might eat out. We'll see.

librarylady

Post by librarylady » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:06 pm

Hi KCCC - what proportion of water to barley do you use in the crockpot? I love barley, but it takes so long to cook that I often forget to use it. I have to be out of the house all day from 8-6 - do you think I could get it to work without having to check it all through the day?

Barley goes wonderfully with ham and also lamb!

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:32 pm

librarylady wrote:Hi KCCC - what proportion of water to barley do you use in the crockpot? I love barley, but it takes so long to cook that I often forget to use it. I have to be out of the house all day from 8-6 - do you think I could get it to work without having to check it all through the day?

Barley goes wonderfully with ham and also lamb!
This was the first time I tried it, and it was "done" after 4 hours. Some of that time was on "high" because the hambone was frozen.

I started with the "standard" amount of water, and it was pretty well soaked up by the 4 hours. Then I put it on low. Later, I added some at two different points, so it wouldn't get dry.

Summary - 2 cups barley, 6 cups water to start (standard proportions); 9 cups water total after additions. (I threw in a large onion, chopped, in addition to the ham, and some pepper. Ham was a little salty, so adjusted salt at the end. Oh - and half the inital liquid was chicken stock, because I had some home-made in the freezer.)

Give it a shot. At the worst, it will be soupy - but then you could just eat it as a soup! I will definitely try it again.

librarylady

Post by librarylady » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:23 pm

Thanks KCCC - I'm always on the lookout for ways to incorporate different grains in my meals. And barley works great in salads as well!

kccc

Post by kccc » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:16 pm

From a post I made on the main page:
I had a "letter of the law" but not "spirit of the law" moment last night. Basically, I was up late to meet at deadline, and at 12:01 (midnight) I broke out the chips.

Technically, I made it to the S-day. Emotionally, it feels like a fail.

All the usual "fail" reasons applied. I'd been superwoman that day, getting project after project nailed away. At 9PM, I found a "bomb" in my inbox - something that had to be done by 8:15 this morning. It was not a quick task, so I was up past bedtime, and stressed, and in a "poor me, haven't I done enough?" mood. To be honest, since it was 6+ hours after my last meal, I was also a bit hungry.

So now it's really an S-day. I thought about skipping breakfast, then decided to eat something because breakfast starts my day right.

Mark it and move on.

But I want today to be a recovery day - I need it on multiple levels. That means restful, healing, and pleasant.

Being stuffed is not that.

So... I am "setting an intention" for the following.

Regular meals, incorporating "nice foods".
A special, planned, thoughtful treat of some kind
No permasnacking. I can have snacks, but stop and think first, and make sure the snack has a real beginning and end.

Have a great S-day, everyone. Enjoy!
Noel observed that skipping breakfast would have probably set me up for an excessive S-day, and that feels like a true thing.

Br - 1/2 bagel and PB
L - grilled cheese sandwich, carrots.
S - one serving of Wosnes's magic chocolate pudding (still warm!)
Remainder of day TBD.

One of the kitchen implements I LOVE is my little set of pyrex bowls/cups. They hold half-a-cup to the decorative line, about a cup when "full," and hold hot and cold items. They are just so useful! A reasonable serving of ice cream doesn't look "lost" in them. They're great to serve cut fruit in - my family will eat more when they have a individual serving than when I have slices on a plate. And when I make desserts like pudding, I immediately put it into the little bowls in half-cup servings and put those on a tray in the fridge. Amazingly, all those recipes that I thought "don't really make six half-cup servings" make EXACTLY that much, when you measure them out properly. They're basic, cheap bowls, but I like having something that exact size.

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:28 am

This makes me really want to buy a set of bowls like that. :)

kccc

Post by kccc » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:53 am

thtrchic wrote:This makes me really want to buy a set of bowls like that. :)
Lol! A podcast that I listen to has a section called "something I like" that is SO much fun to listen to. The person doing it waxes rhapsodic about the most ordinary-ish things, but with genuine pleasure. It always makes me smile to hear her enthusiasm. I think I just fell into that same mode!

===
Rest of day
S- snacking... an odd one. Kale chips. A neighbor gave me some kale, and I've been meaning to try this recipe, so I experimented and found myself nibbling on the results during the afternoon. Recipe here. I think I can get my family to eat kale (at a meal) with this.
D - pizza buffet place. I had one plate of pizza and salad... plus...
S - "pizza dessert" - a sweet pizza slice. Rather tart-like.
S- another cup of chocolate pudding later in the evening. Love that stuff.

Fit in a good 20-minute yoga session - the sun salutation series that makes me work up a sweat.

kccc

Post by kccc » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:51 pm

Sunday...

Br - 1/2 bagel, PB
S - sunflower seeds (workgroup snack at church)
L - 15 bean soup, fruit
S - chocolate pudding and 2 truffles for dessert

S- Bookclub meeting at 4:00,, with amazing homemade treats by the hostess. I had an awesome pastry (small but rich), plus some strawberries.
D - Pasta shells stuffed with ricotta, salad
S - second pastry (the hostess sent three home with me, one for each of us, and I saved them for dessert)

I may have the last of the chocolate pudding as a late treat... I do love it!

kccc

Post by kccc » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:58 pm

Monday... a rainy, cold, icky one after our glorious warm weather last week.

Exercise - yoga. Good start to the week.

Br - yogurt, orange
L (planned) 15 bean soup, salad, dried apricots
D (planned) Leftover pasta shells, salad/veg, fruit

I am cat-sitting this week, which puts me home even later than normal. The cat has meds that have to be given at a certain time; I stop on the way home, but that puts me about a half-hour later. And time for dinner is always cramped. My solution: cook ahead for the next day. Tonight we're having the pasta shells I made a double-batch of yesterday, then after we eat I'll put together a casserole for tomorrow's dinner... and so forth. Takes a bit of planning, but it makes the evenings less crazed than late dinners.

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:49 pm

Yesterday ended up eating at the cafeteria for lunch - it was a rainy, nasty day and I was near there before and after lunchtime anyway and chose not to trek back to my office.

And I had a "technical fail". I made tomorrow's dinner, and used a new crescent roll recipe. My casserole recipe calls for pinching together canned rolls for the crust. I didn't have canned ones, and didn't want to buy them, but like the crescent roll texture in this particular casserole. So I found a recipe I could put in the dough cycle of my breadmaker. There was extra dough, so I made a few crescent rolls and baked them.

And I ate half a one when they came out, just before bedtime, to taste. A taste was legit, but I really only needed one bite to do that. I ate the rest because I wanted it.

Not a big deal in the calorie dept, and a very minor fail overall, but "I'm calling it" because I don't want to get in the habit of excusing deviations from habit, if that makes sense.

Moving on...

Had an early meeting this morning, so only 20 minutes to exercise. I used them on the elliptical, which is better exercise than the track. Still only 3600 steps. Sigh. Will do my best today.

Br - yogurt, pear
L - what I packed for yesterday
D - zucchini "pie", broccoli, red bell pepper, fruit

As I was making dinner-for-tomorrow last night, hubby was asking why I didn't take a break (I was telling him about my work day, which was quite busy). I explained about getting home too late to cook with the cat-sitting, so cooking ahead. He said - in a genuine effort to help - that he could just pick up a pizza.

That was sweet. Since I wanted to use up the zucchini before it went bad, I didn't take him up on it. BUT... (a) it reminded me that it was my choice to cook at home. No martydom over it allowed! and (b) it reminded me that I had other choices if I wanted to make them. I appreciated that reminder, and told him so.

And I may take him up on that pizza later in the week. It's going to be tougher than usual in a lot of ways.

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:09 pm

The good news from yesterday: I got in my 10,000 steps. It took work - I walked around while making phone calls at work, and marched/jogged while watching TV with my son, and marched around the house.

I was so proud that I did bedtime yoga too. Go, me!

The bad news: Failure at dinner. The zucchini pie was kind of light, and I took seconds.

I see a "back to basics" April challenge in my future. I'm getting a bit sloppy about the core No-S habits, and want to rein that tendency in fast, before bad habits have a chance to take root.

(At least my failures are "little" ones - and I note them and don't use them as an excuse for a blow-out, as I would have in the past. The part of me that's a recovering perfectionist marvels at the concept of "failing better", but there it is.)

==
Today
Kickbutt yogalates class - lot of strength/cardio in it, so it was quite a workout. Makes up for missing my beloved Anusara class.

Br - yogurt, pear, the usual two cafe-au-laits (I quit writing them down b/c they're a given for me, but as part of my personal re-boot I'm going to list them. AND glasses of wine, which I also tend not to write down. Maybe I'll abbreviate the cafe-au-lait to CaL.)
L (planned) - zucchini pie, salad, apricots. I'm a little worried about that holding me, even though it's a large slice of pie, but I'll get an extra CaL if not.
D (planned) - Tuna melts, veg, fruit

Weight is 144.5 - so most of the vacation excess is gone. (That's in the "new range.") About time.

And on with the day...

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:16 pm

Yesterday... veg was peas'n'carrots, fruit canned tropical fruit (about out of fresh, and saving for lunch).

Did have a glass of wine.

Today
Walking plus abs for exercise. At 7200 on the ped, so hoping the 10,000 will be easy today.

Br - leftover zucchini pie (small piece), dried apricots, 2 CaL
L (planned) - leftover zucchini pie (larger piece), apple, pear
D (planned) - pasta with pesto, veg/fruit

Lot of zucchini pie, and there's a reason for that... we have a bunch of it (well, did - it will be gone after today), and not a lot else right now. I usually work-at-home on Wednesdays, and use the extra 2 hours in my life to get-home-stuff-done. Like, I usually make a mini-trip by the grocery (where I also eat lunch) to pick up whatever we need in the way of fresh stuff. Salad, fruit, etc. This week, I had to switch my at-home day to Friday. Between that and my extra-crunched evenings, I can really tell the difference in my routine! We're "pantry-scraping" for dinners (well, if you include the freezer in the pantry... I just miss salad and fresh fruit). Fortunately (a) I have a "deep pantry" and (b) I'm at home tomorrow, so can remedy the lack of fresh stuff then.

librarylady

Post by librarylady » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:21 pm

Congratulations on losing the vacation pounds so fast! I always feel as though the pounds picked up during vacation can be lost fairly easily if one gets to them quickly - before they have a chance to make the long acquaintance of the already settled in pounds!

I hear you about the schedule change - tonight is my shopping night, but we have a special meeting at church smack dab in the middle of the time I would normally be shopping and the amount of renegotiation of time required is incredible. Life is logistics!

sarah.grace

Post by sarah.grace » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:28 pm

Mmmm tuna melts sound good! I think I need to add that to my menu sometime soon :) Do you serve yours with ranch dressing? I always thought my sisters were crazy for that, but now I do it too!

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:54 am

Librarylady - it's funny how we get into routines, isn't it?

Sarah.Grace - I've never heard of putting ranch dressing on tuna melts. That doesn't sound particularly appealing to me, I'll confess - but then, I'm not fond of ranch dressing in general. Plus, I make my tuna-melts in a pretty non-standard fashion, so that may be part of it. Instead of using an English muffin as the base, I use 1/2 a multigrain bagel - just more substantial. My tuna salad is just tuna and relish, with only the tiniest bit of mayo (I don't really care for mayo either, lol! Sounding very picky here, aren't I?). Mozzarella cheese melted on that... But I agree that they're good!

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:11 am

Hi KCCC! Also logging in to send my congratulations on losing your weight! Super job! :D :D

Reading your posts, in many ways we are quite alike in our goals/reactions, i.e. the 10,000 daily steps exercise and even the habit of having "wee" extras here and there... I've also been having a few nibbles here and there this week. Scared that I might start slipping into bad habits now that I've got (or so I thought) the No S habits down pat. BUT when you wrote about soldiering onwards and upwards and not dwelling on past mistakes, it struck a chord with me. Great advice!

Thanks again KCCC for your inspirational posts. Have a great weekend!!
No S-er since December 2009
Streamlined S Days: 6/25/12
SW: 170 /CW: 127
Weight loss to date: 43 lbs

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:18 pm

Hi, NoSRocks! I've decided to address the "wee excesses" by making my April Challenge a "back to basics" reboot. Here's what I put on that thread:
I'm in!

But not, as you might have expected, with my yoga stretch goal. Nope, this month is "rebooting the basics."

I've noticed a couple of fails lately - mini-fails, that I could sweep under the rug if I wanted to ignore them. However, I've seen too many people coming back to No-S saying "I was doing fine, but then I got sloppy, and then it was a slippery slope, and soon I'd gained back half of what I lost, so I'm back now."

I don't intend to go there - the sloppiness is over. I'm stopping the "slippery slope" with a "fence around the law" NOW.

This month is "strict No-S." No nibbles fixing dinner, no 12:01 "technical S-days", no sloppy, mushy, "weeellll, it really is okay, beCAUSE..." stuff.

Period.
An interesting development... I'm a little surprised about the congrats I've gotten from several people on losing those vacation pounds (though I thank you for them!). I think my reaction marks an internal change in me. Because in the past, I'd certainly have been quite worried about those few pounds, and really celebrated losing them.

This time, I was only very mildly surprised that they hung on as long as they did, but not particularly concerned - I knew (on a deep-down emotional level) that that extra would go away once I got back on routine. (And I'm back to 143.5 now, which is right where I was when I left.) I didn't even feel the need to take any special action about my weight, other than give it time to re-settle where it was "s'posed to be" and track that it was going in the right direction until it did.

On the other hand, I'm QUITE concerned about my recent "habit slippage," even though my transgressions have really been so minor that I wouldn't even have noticed them in the past. And I'm taking action on that.

I think I've finally internalized the connection between habit and results I want. In terms of MY habits, I know what decisions matter today, and what will matter in the future.

Kind of cool to notice that. :)

sarah.grace

Post by sarah.grace » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:47 pm

I've finally internalized the connection between habit and results I want.
That is fantastic!! I am definitely not there yet, but striving toward it. :) Good for you! I think that realization is what will ultimately make this sustainable as a lifestyle.

I guess we have different versions of a tuna melt. Mine is more a grilled sandwich-type. I mix the tuna with a little greek yogurt and maybe a little mayo for flavor, sometimes diced/grated celery and carrots, then make a sandwich of that with a slice of mozzarella, and grill it in a pan. Mmmmm!

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:20 pm

sarah.grace wrote:I guess we have different versions of a tuna melt. Mine is more a grilled sandwich-type. I mix the tuna with a little greek yogurt and maybe a little mayo for flavor, sometimes diced/grated celery and carrots, then make a sandwich of that with a slice of mozzarella, and grill it in a pan. Mmmmm!
Oh, that is different, but it sounds good - kind of a cross between a tuna sandwich and a grilled cheese sandwich. Mine is open-faced - I run it under a broiler to melt the cheese. The "standard" version I'm used to is open-face on an English muffin, with celery and much more mayo in the tuna salad.

I like the idea of using yogurt instead of mayo - will try that next time and see if the family notices. Where would the ranch dressing go in yours? As a replacement for the mayo/yogurt??

sarah.grace

Post by sarah.grace » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:32 pm

We dip the sandwiches in the ranch dressing. Is that weird? To dip a sandwich? I guess like a french dip- though I've never had one of those. :P So you just dip in a corner, eat it, dip again, eat it... etc. Okay, now it does sound kind of ridiculous!

kccc

Post by kccc » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:42 pm

@Sarah.grace- lol! No, don't do that one.

==
Been away for a few days, which is always a bad sign. Means I'm overwhelmed OR not doing well and don't want to face up. Or both.

Friday was a fail. Saturday and Sunday were so over the top that I don't want to report them... even if I could. I doubt I could remember.

I know WHY, I think. Which doesn't change WHAT this time around, but I'm going to be thinking of strategies for next time. It's a two-parter...

1) Menopause Madness. My body is doing erratic, unpredictable, more-intense-than-normal-for-me stuff. I am very tired of it, especially since it resurfaces just as I think I might finally be done. (I have to admit that I am now grateful that I have NOT had such huge hormonal surges most of my life.) I inhaled chocolate and carbs all weekend.
2) Writing stress. I'm working on a paper that feels pretty important. Despite being in academia, I haven't published a lot... and I haven't really learned how to write without also eating. This weekend felt like when I worked on my dissertation. (Aside: on another list, one devoted to academia, there was a recent thread on "how much did you gain during your dissertation?").

I think I could mostly have handled either independently, especially on an N-day... but Friday FELT like a weekend, and after writing all day, I went out for dinner and just caved. From there, it was Katy-bar-the-door all weekend.

But now it's Monday. The weekend is OVER. (I love N-days.)

Exercise: Yoga class
Br - yogurt, banana, CaL(2)
L - bagel with cheese, salad, figs
D (planned) - salmon, corn, other veg/fruit.

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:51 pm

Well done for getting back on the N day train today. Also well done for being able to articulate so clearly why you failed/went over the top. It is so difficult to stay in control when we are overwhelmed by 'other stuff'. Remember your advice to me on 'misguided self-care' just a few days ago :)
Good luck with the rest of the week. I'm sure your reflective nature will ensure that you are prepared next time stress and hormones hit (and there's always a next time... :roll: )

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:55 pm

Mark it and move on...

Writing stress is the pits. I feel for you. Combine that with hormonal issues and hey, life happens.

That you're jumping back on the wagon without spinning out worse is good, though.
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:32 pm

Thank you both.

IDK, I went back and read what I wrote to you, and it was VERY apropos. Why is that it's so hard to remember all the "good stuff you know" in the moment? (One of the reasons I hang out here after being at maintenance is that when I write stuff for others, it ingrains it more in me. And there are friends who will remind me when I need reminding. :) )

Noel, I thought of you, my writer-friend. Knowing that you write and do No-S made me realize that it MUST be possible to do so without chips by my side or frequent trips to the kitchen. I was eating to get a break, and eating for "comfort" because making myself write is hard (at first... once I'm into it, it's fine). I bet I can figure out better breaks and self-care next time. (And since this is a first draft, there will be a next time.)

And N-days just... feel right at this point. It's a relief to think "It's Monday. That's over."

==
Tuesday

Exercise - walking and abs. Sadly, I forgot my pedometer, so can't track steps today. I think I was lazier as a result this morning... but that's okay today, since I feel like crap anyway. I "showed up," and that's good enough.

Br - yogurt, banana, CaL (2)
L (planned) - cheese and crackers, salad, figs
D- TBD. Son starts soccer practice today. I'm thinking pizza and salad.

We had a big storm go through last night. I didn't sleep well, and the changes in pressure have left me with a splitting headache. Usually when I wake up with one, it goes away after coffee. Not this time. I've resorted to drugs (which I normally avoid) and it's still there.

This is a day to pat myself on the back for just doing "the minimum" and not expect too much. So, that's what I'll do.

Off to "show up" to my day.

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:11 pm

KCCC wrote:Noel, I thought of you, my writer-friend. Knowing that you write and do No-S made me realize that it MUST be possible to do so without chips by my side or frequent trips to the kitchen. I was eating to get a break, and eating for "comfort" because making myself write is hard (at first... once I'm into it, it's fine). I bet I can figure out better breaks and self-care next time. (And since this is a first draft, there will be a next time.)
Sorry you have a headache, by the way.

My writing ritual has always been coffee rather than food, and thank GOODNESS. Writing rituals are STRONG.

Back when I had a Real Job and was working on a novel in the evenings, I used to permit myself an appletini when I was working on itl. I learned very quickly that alcohol is a DANGEROUS, DEEPLY DANGEROUS writing ritual drink.
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

funfuture

Post by funfuture » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:09 pm

KCCC and Noel,
I can really relate to the use of food as a support for writing - that's one of my BIG stumbling blocks. I don't have any great advice for getting around it, except that I now often use a big pot of weak green tea (or jasmine tea). I can drink buckets of the stuff and it's hot and comforting and I have to go to the kitchen to make it (which gets me away from the computer for a couple of minutes).

If I don't do that, then I'll end up doing all sorts of things, like cleaning the bath - good for the house but not good for settling down and getting into it. It does get easier, though, if you have a regular time and place to write. It becomes very hard if you only write intermittently and have to beat your psyche and body into settling down and doing it. :(

BTW, KCCC, this is probably not news to you, but I've found that upping my water intake can help headaches - not just because I might be slightly dehydrated when they happen but also because if I've not had enough sleep or I'm hormonal or whatever, flushing my system out with water definitely helps to balance things out. When DD was little and I was trying to cope with full-time work and a sleepless child (post-adoption trauma), I was plagued by headaches. A colleague put me onto the water trick and it really did help.

All the best,
fun
x

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:39 pm

Thanks for the support, Fun and Noel. I always ate while writing (or avoiding any intellectual task) and seem to have had a "relapse" over the weekend. Noel, I appreciate the alcohol warning - I can absolutely see the potential!

Headache faded after one more coffee yesterday, but I ended up with insomnia last night. The 3am-5am version. So, still "off" today. But I'm moving, and I get to work at home today, mercifully. (Oddly, N-days at home don't trigger the same food responses...but I worked on them pretty hard about a year back, IIRC.)

Yesterday
Had one extra CaL. Half-caff, because they were running low on decaf. May be the insomnia cause, dunno.
D- egg in a hole, mushrooms, grapes
Glass of wine

Today
B - 1/2 bagel with pb and banana, 2 CaL
L (planned) one plate at fave place
D - tbd.

Exercise will be yoga

Work now. I have noticed that my current avoidance strategy is this site, and that's not a great choice either.
Last edited by kccc on Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:56 pm

Dinner was chicken nuggets, baked sweet potatoes, peas'n'carrots' and grapes. And now I'm having a glass of wine.

Yoga was the Anusara class I love so much... but find so challenging. Since I felt so puny this morning, I almost didn't go. I decided that I would just "show up," but take it easy. Of course, once I got there, I worked. At an appropriate level, "honoring my body" but making an effort. It totally revitalized me.

Tomorrow...
Exercise will be walking and abs (and I WILL take my pedometer!)
Br - oatmeal and banana, 2 CaL.
L - Bagel and cheese, leftover sweet potato, grapes, figs
D - Pasta and GB casserole, leftover peas'n'carrots, fruit and maybe another veg. (I get a veggie box tomorrow.)

Tomorrow is soccer, and it runs late. So I made the casserole today, and we can just heat it tomorrow. Planning ahead. :)

I intend to go to bed early tonight.

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:31 pm

There's a lot to be said just for showing up!
------

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:59 pm

NoelFigart wrote:There's a lot to be said just for showing up!
Yeah, I was inspired by a really good example of that on these boards right now... ;)

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:51 pm

Got 15000 steps in yesterday. Woo-hoo! Had a good start in the morning, then multiple meetings in other buildings (which I didn't mind at all on such a gorgeous day), followed by son's soccer practice in the far field... added up nicely.

Plus I did a very, very gentle yoga sequence for bedtime, to relax my shoulders. Ahhhhh.....

Son has just started soccer for the spring. I arrived expecting to "tag out" my husband - he's been stressed by work and school lately, and needs all the time he can get. But this time, he had reached some milestones and was relaxing in the sun. So I went back for my chair, and joined him. Dinner had been prepared ahead, and just needed heating... so pleasant just to sit there together and talk and listen to the noises of happy children.

Dinner - pasta casserole (rather a lot), peas'n'carrots, strawberries. Glass of wine later.

Today...
Exercise - step class. Good workout.

Br - oatmeal, strawberries, 2 CaL
L (planned) - leftover pasta, spinach salad, figs
D - TBD. I have pork chops thawed, and LOTS of fresh veggies to be used up.

kccc

Post by kccc » Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:26 pm

Yesterday...
Dinner was excellent. Pork chops cooked in sauce, cous-cous, fresh broccoli, cooked apples. The apples caramelized a bit... I was called away from the stove and they over-cooked a bit - or so I thought. After tasting, I'll make them this way every time! I didn't even add the usual dash of honey - forgot - and they were great.

Alas, only two of us enjoyed it. Little guy came home from school throwing up, which continued about every hour on the hour until a little past midnight. Poor little fellow. He seems much better now, but I'm allowing almost unlimited tv/computer today to keep him quiet. He didn't go to his soccer game, and will not have friends over... just in case it's one of those stomach viruses. Either that or a light case of food-poisoning. Hope there's no sharing, whatever it is.

This morning was Parent Hell Weekend, Part II. I got in line at 7:30 for camp registration opening at 9:00, and was number 96 in line. It took until 12:30 (yes, 5 hours) until the registration was complete. But I got the weeks we needed, so we finally have summer care covered.

Br - banana and figs (put into my purse to eat in line), 2 CaL
L (starving!) - big serving of leftover pasta, grapes, cooked banana
S - 2 truffles. Not very good, really - too sweet.

The cooked banana was kind of like the cooked apples I make. We had some "need to be used" bananas, and I just sauteed them in butter until they slightly browned. They make their own sauce, and it's kind of dessert-like, though there's actually no sweetener in it. (I did top it with a little whipped cream.) I'm wondering if this is okay on an S-day (minus the whipped cream, of course). On the one hand, it's only bananas and butter... on the other hand, it tastes so dessert-y. Hm. Will think on it. (I do allow cinnamon apples - they're a nice side dish.)

kccc

Post by kccc » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:42 am

Rest of Saturday went downhill. I was finishing our taxes, and everyone was on odd scheduled and we didn't really eat together. There were plenty of leftovers and "sick food" (crackers, jello, etc.) so I didn't push our usual structure, but let people eat when they wanted.

Which meant I snacked all afternoon.

Mostly crackers and cheese and dried apricots - and not to "feeling icky," but it was definitely "snacking b/c I'm doing a task I don't wanna" and eating more than I should as a result. Can't really track very well, but more than a meal's worth, I'd say.

Then I wanted a treat, didn't have anything good... finally made homemade brownies and ate FOUR. (Small ones.) And then I was really done.

No exercise. I got two huge tasks done, plus various little ones like laundry, but felt like I'd done nothing useful.

Hoping for better adherence to routine today....

kccc

Post by kccc » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:36 pm

Sunday was also not the best, but not the worst. I snacked a good bit - too much to track well - but I didn't "eat to icky" and I DID "have real meals." So, okay.

I did NOT exercise, beyond a stroll in the woods that I dragged the family on, kicking and screaming. (They enjoyed it once they got there. It is just too pretty right now to sit inside staring at a computer screen all day! Soon, it will be HOT and no one will want to do anything.) I think I would be happier with more exercise on the weekends, but have to figure out how to do that. I used to walk, but my time feels so tight now with other stuff...

Glad it's an N-day, but not glad to be at work. I'm having bouts of insomnia again, the 3am-5am variety, and getting up this morning was HARD.

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:22 pm

Hi KCCC wanted to stop in and say "HI" I am relatively new here and still getting the hang of all this. I appreciate you check ins and like how you still record what you are eating, good to see as a reference.
Hope you little guy is feeling better. Now that soccer season is underway I am sure it will help with my exercise....(I have three in soccer)okay i'll stop rambleing.
Have a good day.h
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139
Willingness without action is fantasy

kccc

Post by kccc » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:11 pm

Hi, Snapdragon! Always glad when folks stop by. :)

Exercise - morning yoga
Br - yogurt, pear, 2 CaL
L - LAST of the pasta, spinach salad (with a tiny bit of steak thrown in from last night), dried apricots
D - 4-cheese ravioli with pesto, spinach salad, sliced fruit
Glass of wine planned

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:09 pm

Tuesday...
A work-at-home day which is normally NOT my work-at-home day (because I have to go in Wedneday, when I normally work at home). I had a lot of life-stuff as well as work stuff to do, and felt crunched.

One thing I'd planned was taking a meal to a family having a tough time. They are a large family, so I had planned to cook a turkey (from the freezer, but I'd thawed it ahead), so there'd be enough for them and my family. Simple, right - stick it in and done. That mostly worked, except I had to do it early so I could meet someone for lunch (didn't want to leave the oven on)... The day just took a lot of planning. Had a lunch planned, had to deliver the meal and get back in time to pick up son for soccer practice, etc.

Exercise: AM yoga, walking during son's soccer practice. I got 11,000 steps, most of it during soccer. I'm proud of making that goal.

No-S - FAIL. Oh well.

Br - 1/2 bagel w/PB, 2 CaL
L - meal out with friend. Two small crepes with different fillings, small side salad. I ate the salad and left part of a crepe to make room on my plate. It was okay... but not as good as I'd hoped, and I didn't feel satisfied after eating, though I'd had enough food.
FAIL 1: When I was cutting turkey off the bone, I snacked on some. Bad habit - turkey is normally an S-day food, and I didn't think at first. But when I did, I didn't stop.
FAIL 2: When I was making brownies for the family, I accidentally put in double the cocoa I should have. I did NOT want to double the batch, so did some "fixes" that I thought would work. Felt compelled to taste-test, to be sure. ;)
D - Turkey, cous-cous, salad, apple slices
FAIL 3: Had another brownie after dinner, just because. Well into "so there" territory by then.

Glass of wine in the evening.

Mark it and move on. Over. Not terrible by old standards, but definitely a Failure.
==
Wednesday
Weight: 144
Exercise: was supposed to be a yoga class (at the gym at work), but no one showed. :( I did stretches while waiting, then did a Pilates stomach routine and knocked out 20 minutes on the elliptical. It's something.

Br - yogurt, pear, 2 CaL
L (planned) - turkey, couscous, salad, dried apricots
D (planned) - yet more turkey, couscous if there is any or a potato, other veg.

Will have to work late tonight, so it's good to have dinner pretty much ready.

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:06 pm

Yeah, a failure.

Still, it's nice to see failures become milder, isn't it?
------

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:40 pm

NoelFigart wrote:Yeah, a failure.

Still, it's nice to see failures become milder, isn't it?
Yes, and the reaction-to-the-fail becoming less extreme as well.

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:05 am

Couple of busy days...

Wednesday as planned, plus a decap cafe au lait in the afternoon AND a glass of wine in the evening. It was that kind of day.

So was today.

Exercise - walking plus abs. Expect to hit 10,000 - I'm close.
Br - yogurt and banana, 2 CaL
L - salad with turkey, crackers, strawberries, figs
Afternoon: decaf CaL
D - MORE turkey, grain mix, peas'n'carrots, mushrooms, fruit
Evening: planning a glass of wine

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:38 pm

Stayed up too late getting things done last night - packing up. I took an extra 15 minutes before bedtime to do yoga - very slow, relaxing stuff - because I could feel the tension in my muscles and knew I'd sleep better if I took the time. SO worth it!

Friday...

Exercise - Step class
Br - yogurt, banana, 2 CaL
L - Turkey sandwich on whole wheat, with lettuce and Greek yogurt instead of mayo/mustard; 1/2 pear (overripe, didn't like it); figs
D - TBD. Out with a friend. ONE PLATE. ONE. Even if it's Friday.
Wine at friend's house. I'm bringing it, so I know. :) Maybe even a couple of glasses.

I don't normally do sandwiches, but I'm not going home tonight - going to a fun-for-me event, then spending the night with a friend. So, I wanted to pack food with no containers, because they get nasty left in the car for the weekend. This used up the last of the turkey (which I'm ready to be done with) and was good. I liked the Greek yogurt as a spread - will do that again (don't like mayo, but something between the meat and bread is nice...). And lots and lots of baby romaine on it - almost a salad. (In England, I recall being startled to be asked if I wanted "salad" on my sandwich. Turned out they meant lettuce, maybe tomato. Yes, I suppose that IS a salad, just not a term I hear in the states when it's put on a sandwich. I like the term, though - and I want a salad's WORTH of stuff on my sammie, tyvm.)

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:45 am

Hi KCCC - hope you have a lovely weekend doing 'fun for you; things. In our house a sandwich with salad is what it says - lettuce, tomato, cucumber, onion.... I think you were being short-changed if you were only given lettuce and a bit of tomato. Apologies on behalf on the English sandwich shop :lol:

kccc

Post by kccc » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:20 pm

IDK, they may have given me more than that... I don't recall the actual ingredient, just my astonishment at the use of the term "salad" to describe it. (Even though it makes perfect sense when you think about it...)

==
Friday - made it through dinner nicely.
Sat - lovely breakfast/lunch, followed by a snack-y evening.
Sunday - Basic breakfast, pizza buffet lunch (with dessert pizza - and a bit too much overall). Mac'n'cheese and veg supper.
Throughout, too much ice cream and cookies. (About 1/2 to 3/4 container Ben and Jerry's - split over multiple servings over the day - and about 4 cookies.)

Not to icky, but rather a lot.

Today is a NWS - my husband's birthday. Have had a normal day, but will include cake at dinner. My homemade cake, let me add.

Exercise: Morning yoga class

Br - yogurt, banana, wheat crackers (because I didn't have a full serving of yogurt left), 2 CaL
L - 2 slices pizza, carrot sticks. Extra CaL because lunch was later than normal. (Pizza at a meeting. I brought the carrot sticks, b/c I like a serving of veg with pizza.)
D - Potluck at a friend's... planning one plate plus cake

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:35 pm

Yesterday as planned, though I did have TWO slices of cake. I don't make cakes often, and this was one of the recipes I really like. Done with it, though.

Today
Exercise: Walking plus abs
Br- yogurt, apple, 2 CaL (Not my usual Greek yogurt with a touch of honey, alas. We're out. Grabbed one of hubby's store-brand fruit-on-bottom. Wow, that stuff is sweet! I have GOT to go shopping for my stuff!)
L - Eating at the dining hall today.
D (planned) - sausages, peas, mac-n'cheese left from Sunday night.

Too busy. All good things, but I have had too many days in a row where I don't have time to breathe or think.

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:59 pm

Yesterday as planned, plus a glass of wine.

And hubby asked if I'd make another cake, since the first was eaten up at a party. O-kay, yes, but not today. :)

Today

Exercise - yoga class. I was so happy to be there... initially thought I couldn't. I looked at my calendar last night, and had a meeting across from it. Bummer. I'd missed last week, will miss next week, and was really unhappy about having given away "my time." Decided to contact the person I was meeting and ask to change - just see if it was possible.

She had it on her calendar for a different time, one that worked around my class.

I am SO SO SO GLAD I checked. It was as if the universe was set up to give me exactly what I wanted, and all I had to do was ask. But I had to ask... otherwise, it would have been a day of missed connections and great unhappiness. (A lesson there.) I would have been really unhappy if I'd missed my class for a meeting that didn't happen because we weren't on the same page.

It was good that I went into class with joy, because it was a challenging one. I worked hard, and felt good about doing so.

Br - 1/2 whole wheat bagel with cream cheese, 2 CaL
L - one plate at fave place, half veg. SO good.
D - TBD. Hubby will be home late, so it's just me and my son. I may make something extra-easy. Or pick up something.

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:06 pm

Yesterday...

Ended up taking hubby out for a break. Son and I were going to run an errand downtown, so I called to see if hubs would like some food brought to him. He decided to take a break, go with us, and then go back. So, that's what we did. Went to a gyro place, and I got a platter because I wanted a salad with my gyro. It also came with curly fries, which I immediately split with my son.

And I overate. Oh, it was technically okay - one plate after I'd off-loaded the excess fries. But I could feel the point at which my stomach said... "I'm really kind of full now." I kept eating (no, I can't say why, it sounds like such a stupid thing to do as I write it), and eventually it shut up and let me eat. After the meal, I mentally deconstructed it and figured out "how to manage next time." So, that's a step forward. But now I wonder how often I've over-ridden my body before, and not even noticed doing it? The turning-point between "I'm full" and "oh well" was a very narrow one.

It wasn't awful. It was technically okay. Scales didn't make a fuss at me this AM... but I think I'd like to learn to pay attention to my body's cues better. Sometimes, it's smarter than the rest of me.

===
Today
Exercise - walking plus abs.

Br - Greek yogurt (yay!) and banana
L (planned) - salad, potato-and-egg-salad, figs
D (planned) - Something with chicken breast, because I have some thawed. Will look for a new recipe.

The potato-egg salad came about because we had no dinner leftovers to pack, and I needed a packed lunch for today. We did have some leftover Yukon Gold potatoes. So, I boiled up eggs, dice up two to put with the potato, and added lots of relish and a touch of Greek yogurt (because I don't like mayo). Took a taste-test to see if I'd gotten the mix right (really a taste), and thought the yogurt worked really well in it! So, an impromptu entree with carb/protein. I'm quite pleased at my problem-solving... there are other "defaults" I could have turned to, but it's nice to have something different.

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:13 pm

Ah, figs! I've planted a couple of itty baby fig trees. Hope to see fruit from them in a few years.

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:48 pm

Who Me? wrote:Ah, figs! I've planted a couple of itty baby fig trees. Hope to see fruit from them in a few years.
I need to do that... I love, love, love figs. Mostly get dried ones, though.

When I was a kid, I don't recall ever seeing dried figs. The closest was Nabisco Fig Newtons, which I loved at the time. Didn't much care for the cake-y outside, didn't like any of their spin-off flavors (Strawberry, etc.). The first time I tasted a dried fig, I recognized that THAT was what I really liked, and dropped the Newtons cold.

I go in phases, where I eat them daily for weeks. They're a treat.

But it's summertime... need to make time to pick strawberries soon! :)

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:17 pm

Last night ended up being sushi, salad, and fruit... thanks to a late night home due to trying to track down my lost phone. I'd planned to stop by Trader Joe's on the way, but since I was running late I bought dinner.

Then cooked the chicken after dinner for lunches today. It needed to be used.

However, thanks to the back-tracking looking for my phone, I racked up 13,500 steps last night.

Today
Exercise - step class. Though we've now started subbing in bicycle intervals for the initial step portion, then alternate cardio and muscle segments for the rest of class.

Br - Greek yogurt, banana, 2 CaL
Extra CaL in mid-morning.
L - Stir fry with chicken, onion, mushrooms, and squash; crackers; figs
D - TBD. Probably chicken quesadillas or tuna melts

Had a lesson in gratitude this morning. Woke up about 5AM to a thunderstorm and a splitting headache. Thought blearily that the ride in would be awful (a long commute in the rain is no fun), then managed to doze back off a bit. Had a bad dream in which my husband and I were not getting along, and I was teary and distressed.

When I woke for real, I was so relieved to find that the disagreement was only a dream. Then I began my commute, and the rain tapered off by the time I'd reached the interstate, and then stopped completely. The road was DRY on the way in, to my great delight. Then my headache disappeared when I sipped on my coffee. Oh, that felt good. And there was my phone, which I had truly thought lost yesterday... life is good. I was so happy...

Then it struck me... most days, hubby and I get along fine. Most days, I have a dry commute. With no headache. With my phone on hand. Do I think to appreciate those things on most days? (Uh, not usually...)

My normal life is pretty good. A thing to remember. :)

(Even the return of sinus issues - which is why the extra CaL - didn't diminish my sense of appreciation.)
Last edited by kccc on Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:38 am

When I was woking and had a house and kids and a hubby and two dogs ..all wanting my atttention..I had a small poster on the frig where I could see it easily and often: Normal Day, Make Me Aware Of The Treasure That You Are" Always holds true, doesn't it!?
"If you realized how powerful your thoughts are, you would never think another negative thought."
Peace Pilgrim

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:28 am

There's a great site, figs4fun, that has a wonderful fig growing forum. You can find out which varieties grow best wherever you live. Also, members seem very generous about sharing or selling cuttings.

kccc

Post by kccc » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:30 am

Dear Easter Candy,

At first I though you were so sweet, but now I'm sick of you. It's over. I never want to see you again.

Me, glad for N-days.

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:05 pm

KCCC wrote:Dear Easter Candy,

At first I though you were so sweet, but now I'm sick of you. It's over. I never want to see you again.

Me, glad for N-days.
Good comment !!!
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:45 pm

The chocolate bunnies are dabbing their tears.

milliem

Post by milliem » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:49 pm

Hehe that made me giggle :)

My Easter chocolate is sitting looking forlornly at me and wondering why I haven't opened it yet :( After the random large meals and indulgences over the weekend I didn't have a single bite!

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:32 pm

At the hospital with Mom since Monday AM.

She will be okay. This round.

I am where I need to be.

No-S has become a means of genuine self-care for me. As opposed to the misguided self-care of stress-eating. I am grateful.

More later.

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:35 pm

Best wishes, KCCC.

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:58 pm

Oh dear, KCCC. I'll definitely be thinking of you and your family. While I'm glad that you've got some good self-care going on, I'm also wishing for great outcomes.

*hugs*
------

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:30 am

Thank you for your kind wishes, idk and Noel.

I'm home now. Sis is taking over for a bit, because I have stuff-that-must-be-done today. If needed, I'll go back, but I think they'll release her soon.

Mom essentially had a 24-hour stomach virus - one of those evil things that knock healthy people for a loop and make them feel like death while their system empties, but then they're just fine. But she's not a healthy person. She had emergency bypass heart surgery last fall, and she has diabetes, and her health is fragile.

So... she ended up in the hospital, and we had a scary day. But by the time I posted, it was clear she was on the mend but would require watching. Her lack of fluids made her blood pressure plummet, so they had to give her fluids, which started to throw her electrolytes out of balance, and they had to adjust for that... they are carefully bringing everything back where it should be, and she is visibly better.

My sister lives close to my parents, and was there for the worst part - the emergency room trip on Sunday night. When I got her message, I decided to go down. Things were still a bit scary at that point, but looking as if they'd be okay. Sis was relieved - she had dental surgery scheduled for Monday, but didn't want to leave Dad by himself at the hospital.

I was glad to go. Mostly, I was "just there." It was rather peaceful, in an odd way. Like taking care of a baby is tiring but peaceful. There was a lot of time between doctors and nurses to just visit with her, or with Dad while she slept, or just to think. It was tiring... I didn't get much sleep since I stayed in her room on a chair in case she needed anything, or woke confused... Dad can't hear well enough, or he'd stay. (And then there's hospital food... I have a whole side rant on that, but won't go there now...)

But it felt good. Because I was there, Sis could go home and nurse her jaw without worrying about Mom and Dad. And my other Sis, buried under final exam-giving and stressed by logistics in her own family, could stay in touch but NOT come down this time, which was a relief to her. And when Mom was awake, we talked; when she slept, I spent time with my Dad. They are old, so this is time to treasure.

It is very rare when you KNOW you are exactly where you need to be. For the last two days, I did.

Hoeka

Post by Hoeka » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:29 pm

So glad your mum's better now, KCCC.
KCCC wrote:They are old, so this is time to treasure.

It is very rare when you KNOW you are exactly where you need to be. For the last two days, I did.
So true.

Mine are in their late seventies now, and although they are quite healthy for their age, I try to see them as much as possible - at least all the birthdays etc. Going home for my mum's birthday this week-end.

Good luck & best wishes to all of you
Our bodies are our gardens to which our wills are gardeners - Shakespeare

TexArk

Elder Care

Post by TexArk » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:19 pm

I am thinking of you.

I, too, have been taking care of elderly dad and stepmom...Dad will be 95 in July, stepmom is 88. Dealing with stroke for one and dementia with the other. I have been away from home since the middle of January. I thought this was just going to be a few weeks since they are in assisted living. But, like you, sometimes, you just have to do what only you can do. And, we will be glad later, knowing we did what we could.

And yes, thankfully I am not stress eating since my structure and scaffolding are in place this time!

funfuture

Post by funfuture » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:32 am

Sending you hugs, KCCC. This is indeed a precious time. Waring, but irreplaceable. It's an important time for you with your sisters too, by the sounds of things. Glad you are finding solace in NoS and are looking after yourself.
hugs.
fun
xx

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:26 pm

Hoeka and funfuture, thank you. I am back to normal routine now, and appreciating it. TexArk, it sounds as if you have it VERY rough right now. Please do take good care of yourself too. (It's that "oxygen mask" analogy...)

==
I'm not going to try to recap habits these last few days, except to say that I did well on eating - pretty normal. Exercise was not what it usually is, but I tried... went down the stairs when I went to the cafeteria (6 flights) and occasionally up, stood and stretched periodically. (I love half-sun salutes for de-kinking the back.) As good as I could do.

Today...
Exercise: Walk + abs. Currently at 7200, so should make my 10,000 today
Weight: 144. Nice to see the usual numbers after my Easter blow-out.

L (planned) leftover sausage, HB egg, honeydew, salad (I hope... the salad and fruit was left from the lunch I'd packed FOR Monday. I replaced the entree, but didn't think to check to make sure the other was still good. We'll see.)
D- TBD. We have (fresh) salad on hand, and some wonderful homemade bread a friend brought us. Needs to be quick, though... maybe a "breakfast for supper" type thing - eggs, toast, veggies. Or maybe I'll make grilled cheese on that wonderful bread - yes, that sounds good.

(Part of writing is thinking... While planning in the morning is a bit last-ditch, it's better than walking in with no plan.)

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:21 pm

Dinner ended up being ham and cheese sandwiches on that wonderful bread, with broccoli and banana on the side.

I think I made my 10000 steps, but my pedometer stalled on me. Taking out the battery and cleaning it off seemed to fix it.

Today
Cardio/interval class

Br- yogurt, banana, 2CaL
L (planned) - ham, broccoli, bread, pear
D - fridge clean out, lol!

kccc

Post by kccc » Sun May 01, 2011 3:09 am

My dinner yesterday (Friday) was cheese toast on that great bread, salad, apple. And then, after consideration, I had a piece of cake for dessert, starting my S-day early.

I had made my husband a second cake, and he's been eating on it all week. It's a favorite of mine, too. I'd decided that if there was any left by Saturday, I'd have some. But then I realized we were going to be away on Sat/Sun, and it wouldn't last that long.

So I had my slice of cake on Friday. And today we took son and friend to Six Flags, so I had an S-day with no sweets - unusual for me.

Br - cheese toast, 2 CaL
L - burrito (with lots of veggies) and chips (before we went in)
D - overpriced pizza :P

I suppose the lemonade that I drank is technically a sweet, and I had rather a large quantity because it was hot. But other than that, it could have been an N day.

Oh, and I got 10,000 steps. Easily. Not sure how much more, because my wretched pedometer reset itself in the middle of the day. Oh, well.

kccc

Post by kccc » Mon May 02, 2011 3:58 pm

Sunday got a bit over-the-top. I didn't stop it at 5:00, even though I started my S-day with Friday, which I rationalized b/c I didn't have ANYTHING "S-ish"on Saturday. Forgetting my "Sometimesian" intent, lol!

Br - cheese omelet and turkey sausage at hotel. Cafe-au-lait.
L - lovely little restaurant. I had a grilled fish wrap and side salad, then split a banana pudding with my hubby. It was very good, and I enjoyed it.
S - 2 cookies at a reception, just before normal dinner time.
Evening (can't really call it dinner) - stops were out. Got home late, hungry, with lots to do. Recipe for disaster. Best I can recall...
- Cheese and crackers
- 1/2 PB&J
- about 4 oz (!) chocolate
- Glass of wine

Feels like more, but I think that's because it was kind of spread out. I had crackers and cheese as we were unloading, then a second serving of cracker and cheese sitting down... then some chocolate... then the PB&J, to be dinner-like (the cheese and crackers felt more like a snack)... then the rest of the chocolate, just because... and then I was DONE with food (not feeling sick, just "done"), but had a glass of wine anyway.

I thoroughly enjoyed my cake on Friday and my banana pudding on Sunday. I didn't enjoy Sunday evening, not even the chocolate. (If I'd stopped my S-day at 5:00, as originally planned, it would have been a perfect S-day, IMHO. Oh well.) I really LIKE a reasonable meal followed by a nice dessert on weekends. I do NOT like anything resembling perma-snacking - even if permitted.

Note to self: Remember and learn, okay?

kccc

Post by kccc » Mon May 02, 2011 5:21 pm

Monday...

Exercise - yoga class at gym

Br - yogurt, banana, 2 CaL
Mid-morning - extra CaL
L - one plate at cafeteria, half salad
D - TBD. Sigh.

Came home late last night, and haven't grocery shopped yet. Breakfast was literally eaten in my car, before walking into an early meeting. Cafeteria was nice as a backstop for lunch - I filled up on veggies.

Dinner with what's on hand. I have some potatoes to be used, too.

Hm. I can cook up the potatoes and boil some eggs for potato salad tomorrow, and thaw some meat to have with that. Then dinner tonight can be either pasta or a Tower of Tortilla (which we haven't had in a while) or Tuna Melts. The easy-peasy back-up meals...

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Tue May 03, 2011 12:30 am

Tower of tortilla? That sounds interesting!
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue May 03, 2011 12:55 am

r.jean wrote:Tower of tortilla? That sounds interesting!
I've got a "recipe" on the site somewhere, if you run a search on the phrase. It's basically a stack of flour tortillas, with layers of a bean/salsa mix and cheese between the tortillas. You bake it, and serve it in wedges like a pie. Nice vegetarian dinner, fast and easy, made with stuff-I-usually-keep-on-hand.

My family loved it for a while, but I made it too frequently and they've sort of burned out on it now.

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue May 03, 2011 12:00 pm

Dinner last night was Tower of Tortilla, lettuce from our garden (the first!) and a cup of mixed fruit. Plus a glass of wine.

==
Tuesday. Working at home. Odd schedule - lots to do, and won't be able to make a yoga class. (But Tuesday is usually walking... will have to sort out exercise...)

Br - 1/2 whole wheat bagel with PB, 2 CaL
L - TBD. Hoping to get by my fave place.
D (planned) - BBQ chicken (in the crockpot now), potato salad, veg TBD

Going to the grocery today. Yay!

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed May 04, 2011 5:38 pm

Lunch was leftover Tower of Tortilla and a pear. Oh well.
Dinner last night had broccoli and strawberries as the veg. The chicken and potato salad were great.

Exercise was 10,000 steps, mostly during my son's soccer practice.

== Wednesday
Exercise - Yogalates class. Liked it.

Br - PB on 1/2 bagel, figs, 2 CaL
L - brought, but decided to have the amazing pizza brought in for us instead. Like a salad on thick-crust - loved it. Had the strawberries I brought for my lunch when I got back to the office.
D (planned) - more chicken (leftover), new potatoes with parsley butter, peas'n'carrots, cantaoupe. Yum!

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu May 05, 2011 1:48 pm

Dinner as planned last night... then...

Son is having a lunch event at his gifted class. I cannot go, though hubby is. Parents have been asked to contribute something, and son asked (very nicely) if I would make home-made cookies. ("You could buy something, and that would be okay of course, but if you DID have time, it would be awesome...")

Who can turn down an invitation to be awesome? And address some working-mom guilt at the same time?

So I made chocolate chip cookies, and baked up the WHOLE batch (normally, I bake a few and freeze most of them).

And I ate some.

I stopped when I realized I didn't really want any more, but was eating because "I'd blown it anyway." At least I'm catching that stage better. The day finished properly, despite that Epic Fail in the evening.

There's a reason I normally bake on weekends.

Today is a new (green) day. :)

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu May 05, 2011 5:37 pm

Exercise - walking plus abs. At 7600, so will make 10,000 with a little attention.

Br - cantaloupe and potato salad. Odd, I know, but that's the part of my lunch from yesterday that I really wanted. So there. 2 CaL
Midmorning - extra CaL. Really hungry - maybe not enough protein for breakfast? (Or too much sugar last night.)
L - Work lunch. Ham sandwich on pita (with lettuce and tomato), baked chips. Figs that I had in my purse in case lunch lacked fruit/veg.
D (planned) - grilled cheese sandwiches, more cantaloupe, and something fun from my fruit/veg box coming tonight.

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri May 06, 2011 4:57 pm

Dinner last night was grilled cheese, cauliflower, grapes, and carmelized onions (realized I had some that needed to be used). And a glass of wine.
Did make my 10,000 steps.

Exercise - cardio intervals class
L - one plate at dining hall - tilapia, steamed carrots, salad, very indulgent soft breadstick (one plate!)
D- TBD. Hm, that's bad - Friday is always a "challenge day" for me. Will think on that.

kccc

Post by kccc » Mon May 09, 2011 12:58 pm

Relatively decent eating for Mother's Day weekend. I spent it mostly taking care of MY mom. After the year we've had, I am glad to have the opportunity to do it... even if I felt a bit like Cinderella at moments. (My mom is rather "old-school," and I think it's gotten more pronounced lately. When my husband is there too, she jumps on me if HE is lacking something... even though he's a perfectly capable adult, and sometimes doesn't even NEED anything. No, he doesn't have dessert yet, Mom. I'm busy cleaning off the table. He can get it himself or wait.)

When I'm there by myself, I don't mind taking care of Mom and Dad. When I'm there with my family, it's a bit tougher. When it's Mother's Day and I'm a mom too (remember?)... well, I had to consciously work at my attitude. So, I'm venting a bit here. ;)

The part that got to me most is that we all went to church with my mom, which made her VERY happy (as I knew it would) but which I really had to endure (as I knew I would - the church I grew up in has morphed in ways I really dislike. Bigger and more conservative). As my husband put it, "the pastor starting out talking about "honoring" moms, but then he sounded like he was lecturing them." And that's exactly right. Grrr. I smiled and bit my tongue and was grateful that I am not expected to be a second-class citizen in my marriage or where I worship.

Food was okay. A bit over the top on Sunday, but not too bad. We had a lot of strawberries that REALLY needed to be used, so I made "cake inna mug" (which I'd heard of from Noel) and we put strawberries and whipped cream over it. Good stuff. Plus some chocolate, and a bit of snacky stuff. Still kept to my 3 meals, which makes a BIG difference to me.

And it's Monday. :)

Exercise - Yogalates

B - Greek yogurt, banana, 2 CaL
L (planned) Big salad with roasted chicken on it, crackers, pear
D (planned) Chicken quesadillas, grapes, veg tbd