Naomi's Daily Check-In

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Grace

Naomi's Daily Check-In

Post by Grace » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:49 am

Hello Everyone,

Well, I have false-started No-S at least a couple of times over the past few years. I guess you could say I'm a slow learner. I KNOW diets don't work for me (I don't consider this a "diet"...diet is a 4 letter word to me), and I honestly can't remember why I quit No-S in the past. I'm back here because this is the way I truly want to eat for life. I honestly believe that eating this way will do a couple of things:
1) help me to slowly get to a healthy weight for my body; and,
2) give me peace (with my eating and my body)

Even though I know I can start No-S at any time, I've decided to get back to eating the No-S way this Saturday, Feb.12th (Saturday is an easier weigh-in day and tomorrow I'll be having a special dinner out with my husband David celebrating our 20th anniversary...so I'm just going to wait to begin then.) I truly believe this is the best way of eating for me.

Question...have you found in your No-S experience that weekly weighing is helpful or hurtful? I'd love to hear other No-Sers thoughts/opinions.

Thanks and I look forward to sharing this journey together!
:) Naomi

Kevin

Re: Naomi's Daily Check-In

Post by Kevin » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:03 am

Weighing is helpful if you are a there's-got-to-be-a-pony-under-all-this-crap optimist and only notice the downward trend. If you tend to doubt things day to day, I wouldn't do it very frequently. I weigh once a week, on Friday morning. Day to day fluctuations are just too big for daily weigh-ins to be meaningful, and they can slow your roll if you let them affect you.

Grace wrote:Hello Everyone,

Well, I have false-started No-S at least a couple of times over the past few years. I guess you could say I'm a slow learner. I KNOW diets don't work for me (I don't consider this a "diet"...diet is a 4 letter word to me), and I honestly can't remember why I quit No-S in the past. I'm back here because this is the way I truly want to eat for life. I honestly believe that eating this way will do a couple of things:
1) help me to slowly get to a healthy weight for my body; and,
2) give me peace (with my eating and my body)

Even though I know I can start No-S at any time, I've decided to get back to eating the No-S way this Saturday, Feb.12th (Saturday is an easier weigh-in day and tomorrow I'll be having a special dinner out with my husband David celebrating our 20th anniversary...so I'm just going to wait to begin then.) I truly believe this is the best way of eating for me.

Question...have you found in your No-S experience that weekly weighing is helpful or hurtful? I'd love to hear other No-Sers thoughts/opinions.

Thanks and I look forward to sharing this journey together!
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

Grace

Post by Grace » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:19 am

Thanks Kevin for your reply and advice. I think, after giving it more thought, I've decided I won't weigh myself after all. I'm just going to go by how my clothes fit and the other important changes I see (i.e. peace around food). The last time I did No-S I chose to weigh myself (weekly) and I think that may have been part of why I ended up quitting. I don't know if the weight loss was just too slow it got discouraging or what, but I believe I need to focus on just learning how to eat in moderation...and I love how No-S helps with this. I have so many issues with diet and food that I truly desire peace in this area. That's more important than any number on a box (scale).

Thanks again for sharing your advice. I really appreciate it!

Grace

Day 1!

Post by Grace » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:48 pm

Well, I've officially started on No-S today. It's a Saturday, so I thought I'd choose the weekend to start...talk about an easy way to start a diet! I must say, No-S is as close to a no-diet as there is. I did go ahead and weigh myself, so I'll have a starting weight. I'm 46 years old, 170 lbs., wearing a size 14/16 (pants) at 5'4 (and a half!). I'm not going to be weighing myself weekly or anything, I'm only planning on going by my clothes and the other positive changes that I will gain along the way. I'm SO ready to get healthier (both physically and mentally - at peace with the body God's given me). I have a long way to go, but I'm taking the first step today.

r.jean

weighing in

Post by r.jean » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:08 am

I have found that monthly weigh ins are the way to go for me. I am one of those who does need to see the weight loss on the scale, but the day to day or even week to week weight fluctuations are frustrating. Weighing once a month minimizes the effect of the fluctuations.

You will figure out what works for you as you go along. Best of luck!

Grace

Great tip RJRO :)

Post by Grace » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:33 pm

Thanks for sharing your once/month weigh-in idea RJRO. :) I may try that. I'll wait and see if I feel I need it after a month has passed.

Well, my 'S' days went well, and yesterday I did have a popcorn snack and some valentine chocolate, but only because it was also an S day - Valentine's Day! So, I started my No-S plan on an easy note. The only bad thing is I'm sick at home right now. Yesterday and today I've had to miss work due to a cold and laryngitis. I have to speak in my job, so having laryngitis puts me out, so I'm staying at home and getting plenty of bed rest. Since I'm not dog sick I have been eating. I had a pretty substantial breakfast - which won't be the norm - I cooked some bacon and then made milk gravy and had that on toast with some grits. Very large breakfast for me. Normally I don't eat breakfast at all, but I've decided since starting No-S that I will be eating breakfast. My usual breakfast is going to be oatmeal with some natural peanut butter and all-fruit blackberry jam. That should be very filling and hopefully tasty.

Well, I'm off to get some rest.
Naomi
I can do ALL things through Christ who strengthens me! :)

r.jean

Home sick too

Post by r.jean » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:13 pm

I am also home sick with a bout of bronchitis. I seem to have a non stop urge to eat. It might be the boredom or it might be feeling sorry for myself and wanting comfort food, but whatever it is, I want to eat. I have been reading and posting more than usual on this website and that has helped.

Grace

I understand RJRO

Post by Grace » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:32 pm

I'm sorry you're sick as well RJRO. I definitely understand about spending a lot of time on the No-S board, as I still am on even though I said I was heading off to bed! I understand eating too much right now as well, as my breakfast was more substantial (and heavier) than I would have liked. I'm just hoping it will help me get well quicker. Yeah, right...THAT'S why I ate it! :D I guess I'm just SO thankful to be eating the No-S way now. I love the fact that I can eat 3 normal meals each day and not have to count a thing. After dieting since I was about 15 years old (I'm now 46), I truly *hate* diets and can't stick to them for very long. I guess that's why I don't consider No-S a diet - it truly is livable. I know I *can* do this for life!

I hope we both feel MUCH better soon! :)

Grace

Post by Grace » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:46 am

Well, so far this week has been an all GREEN week - yay! Today has definitely had its temptations. I've been sick at home with sinus stuff and laryngitis (for the past two work days) and since I was finally able to speak clear enough to be understood, I went in to work today. Unfortunately, I still feel really under the weather, but I was able to stay at work. Since I was not at work on Valentine's Day, two of my students brought me big heart-shaped boxes of really delicious looking chocolate today. Soooo...on top of feeling sick I have this reallllly tempting chocolate around. Well, I've put it out of my view and I'm determined not to lay eyes on it until Saturday...morning....I'll have some with my morning coffee! :)

My weapon for today:
At the time, discipline isn't much fun. It always feels like its going against the grain. Later, of course, it pays off handsomely for it's the well-trained who find themselves mature in their relationship to God. (Hebrews 12:11)

r.jean

Glad you are better

Post by r.jean » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:52 pm

I am also back at work after missing 3 days, pretty unheard of for me. I also work in an environment where I am interacting constantly with others so I cannot go in hacking and coughing and inattentive. Today was borderline but I made it.

Sounds like you have weathered the illness and stayed on track. So did I but boy was it hard!!
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.

Grace

Post by Grace » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:48 am

So glad to hear you were finally able to get back to work too, r.jean! Glad you've been staying on track as well!

Well, just when I thought I'd dealt with the strongest temptations for the week, along comes another student with another big heart-shaped box of chocolate today! So sweet of her, but good grief! Then, after work, my husband had a couple of coupons to Steak and Shake, so we went there and when they brought our meals I saw that my meal included a big MILKSHAKE! I'm just gonna tell ya....THAT was the most difficult temptation this week! It went way past the boxes of chocolate!! So, I sat there staring at my big mocha milkshake and realized as much as I wanted it, I really, really didn't want to give in to the temptation. So, when the waiter came back to our table I asked him if he would kindly put my milkshake in a 'to go' cup and keep it 'on ice' for me until we were ready to leave. And that's what I did. Now it's in my freezer and I know a milkshake probably won't taste as good frozen, but it will taste better to me later than how I would have felt eating it tonight. I want to have an attitude of 'having sweets, snacks and seconds on an N day is just not an option'. It was such a huge temptation tonight, but I'm so thankful that God helped me not to give in to it. I truly will enjoy it more this weekend (and the chocolate candy...well, some of it anyway...I *will* be sharing it!). So today was a GREEN day!!!! YAY!!!! :D

Grace

Post by Grace » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:23 am

I've decided to start numbering my N-days to help in forming these No-S habits (since it takes something like 21 days to form a habit). So, here's my stats so far:

2/12/11 - (S day)
2/13/11 - (S day)
2/14/11 - (S day - Valentine's Day)
2/15/11 - Day 1 N-day SUCCESS :)
2/16/11 - Day 2 N-day SUCCESS :)
2/17/11 - Day 3 N-day SUCCESS :)

First goal - 21 successful N days!

r.jean

Eating out

Post by r.jean » Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:21 am

Can you imagine yourself putting off that milkshake before No S?
Maintenance is progress.

Grace

Re: Eating out

Post by Grace » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:38 am

r.jean wrote:Can you imagine yourself putting off that milkshake before No S?
No, I can't r.jean! I must say even though I've had to put off eating any chocolate candy and that milkshake to Sat/Sun, I have felt so happy and free this week in my eating! I won't deny that denying myself the candy (and especially the milkshake!) wasn't difficult - it was, it's just I still find this way of eating very healthy - as in my mind isn't continually wondering whether I should be eating now...what I should be eating....what diet I'll go on next...etc., etc. It's just so nice to think "this is it".

Well, yesterday (Fri., 2-18-11) was a SUCCESS! :) And I truly am looking forward to enjoying some chocolate candy with my coffee this morning!! And I think I'll try that milkshake at some point this weekend as well! :) Very thankful God enabled me to wait for an S day to enjoy these treats! I hope you all enjoy your S days, too!

Grace

Post by Grace » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:33 am

Saturday and Sunday were great S-days! I always enjoy the slower pace of Saturdays. It's also the day (yes, *the* day) when I clean house and do the laundry (hey, we don't have any kids!). Many times I have sort of a brunch or linner (or lupper), and then we have friends over for games and I usually just serve popcorn (cooked the old fashioned way - in oil in a big pot on the stovetop!) and I cut up apples. I usually have a glass of wine, too. It's very relaxing and I never even miss dinner. Usually have no desire for it on Saturday and Sunday nights. Sunday we have lunch out with friends after church and then we usually have popcorn (again) and usually some ice cream while watching Masterpiece Theater on PBS (we love British mini-series!). So, Saturday and Sunday are usually not blow-out events as far as eating...I just love the freedom of not having to think about what I'm eating or when.

Monday and Tuesday (today) have gone well, too. I really wanted to eat when I got home from work today, but God helped me not to. I thought about the words Jesus spoke to Satan when he was tempted to eat and that helped. Then, I had a glass of red wine and then helped some more. :)

So far, here's the progress towards 21 N-days:

2/12/11 - (S day)
2/13/11 - (S day)
2/15/11 - Day 1 N-day SUCCESS
2/16/11 - Day 2 N-day SUCCESS
2/17/11 - Day 3 N-day SUCCESS
2/18/11 - Day 4 N-day SUCCESS
2/19/11 - (S day)
2/20/11 - (S day)
2/21/11 - Day 5 N-day SUCCESS
2/22/11 - Day 6 N-day SUCCESS

Six N-days so far - yipee! :D I'm enjoying NOT weighing, too! :lol:

r.jean

Great job

Post by r.jean » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:40 am

Good to see that you are still hanging in there for the long haul. You are doing great. Don't you just love this eating plan? (I just cannot call it a diet; it is just so different than other diets!)
Maintenance is progress.

Grace

Post by Grace » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:46 pm

Thanks for the encouragement, rjean! :) Yes, I love this way of eating and I don't feel like it's a diet at all.

Wed., Thurs., and Friday all went well. Last night (Friday night) we went to see a Mardi Gras parade with some friends and I did go one glass over my weekday glass ceiling (2 drinks). We had a lot of fun, though! Caught a bunch of colorful plastic bead necklaces, a few cups and a couple of moon pies! I typically only have one glass of red wine each weekday night, but I've had a couple of nights this week when I had 2 glasses (which is okay), because I had head hunger (not real hunger) and just needed something. I had a few big meals this week (a plate - but FULL), but I know with time that will take care of itself.

Here's the progress so far:

2/12/11 - (S day)
2/13/11 - (S day)
2/15/11 - Day 1 N-day SUCCESS
2/16/11 - Day 2 N-day SUCCESS
2/17/11 - Day 3 N-day SUCCESS
2/18/11 - Day 4 N-day SUCCESS
2/19/11 - (S day)
2/20/11 - (S day)
2/21/11 - Day 5 N-day SUCCESS
2/22/11 - Day 6 N-day SUCCESS
2/23/11 - Day 7 N-day SUCCESS
2/24/11 - Day 8 N-day SUCCESS
2/25/11 - Day 9 N-day SUCCESS

r.jean

Missing you

Post by r.jean » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:46 pm

I have missed your posts. Hope all is well with you.
Maintenance is progress.

Grace

Let's try this again!

Post by Grace » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:47 pm

Okay, I'm back with my tail between my legs (okay, not literally, but you get the idea!). :) I can't believe I once again got off of No-S! I'll tell you why, though. My pants were starting to get snug and when I weighed myself I saw that I hadn't lost any weight. I was afraid I was gaining. So, now I'm back. I truly believe that the key to my success with No-S is going to be to "just do it"! I am going to weigh myself every Saturday for some accountability, but I'm going to stop jumping on and off of this plan, because I will NEVER be successful and find peace in my eating (and lose weight) unless I stick with the plan. I would say that's true no matter what eating plan you choose (this just happens to be the only way I can possibly see myself eating for life). I know other plans are unlivable for me, but No-S is completely livable. I only stopped eating this way because I was frustrated (and genuinely scared) by what appeared to be some weight gain. Has anyone else gone through this when they started?

So, all that to say I'm back and I will be beginning No-S tomorrow (Good Friday). I'd say that's a pretty good day to submit my appetite to Jesus. I'd say it's the least I can do.

It's good to be back. I need your encouragement and I will try to encourage you as well on your journey!

Grace

Good first day :)

Post by Grace » Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:01 am

Well, today was my first day and it went well. I don't usually eat oatmeal, but I decided to try it for breakfast. I couldn't believe how much it filled me up! Now, I was off of work this week for Spring Break (I'm a teacher), so I ended up eating b'fast at around 10:00 am. All I ate was one packet of oatmeal and one orange and I literally was not hungry until dinner around 5:30 pm. I also exercised (45 min. of interval walk/jogging on the treadmill). I'm going to start using HabitCal for the first time tonight and then, just checking in here every so often (maybe weekly, after my weigh-in). Anyway, it's been a good first day of No-S. :) I'll be weighing myself tomorrow for my beginning weight.

Grace

Beginning Weight

Post by Grace » Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:03 pm

My beginning weight is: 176.5 lbs.... :cry:
I'm really feeling very down this morning. This is the highest I've ever weighed (I'm only 5'4...and a half!), and to think that just 20 years ago when I got married I was around 120 lbs. I've never had children, so it's not baby weight, but I did go through early menopause at about the age of 41. I'm now 46. Anyway, just really discouraged about my weight right now.

I'm trying to decide whether or not to weigh once/week or once/month. Any thoughts?

Thanks for listening,
Naomi

milliem

Post by milliem » Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:48 pm

Hi Naomi,

sorry to hear you're feeling a bit down about things, hopefully getting back into NoS will give you a boost :)

I know some people weigh daily but only record their lowest weight for the week, and some record weekly at the same time. Personally I hop on the scales fairly frequently but I don't record it, I just see vaguely where I am at to make sure the trend is slightly downwards!

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:01 pm

I think that jumping on the scale all the time does not foster a non-dieting/happy relationship with food. But that's just my opinion.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:44 pm

I am 55 and trust me, the longer you wait to address the weight, the higher it will climb. I was devastated when I weighed myself at the start of this process and found out that I weighed 30 lbs more than I weighed when I was 9 months pregnant with my heaviest pregnancy.

When I first discovered No S, I instantly thought that it was the plan for me. Fortunately, it has worked as well as I thought it would. I wish you the same. However, if you only maintain and do nothing else, you will at least save yourself from getting to where I am.

Adjusting for height, I may get to where you are in a couple of months. So remember maintenance is progress.
Maintenance is progress.

Grace

Thank you!

Post by Grace » Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:52 pm

Thanks for the comments and opinions regarding how often to weigh. I'm going to try weighing every Saturday and if the weight loss is too slow and/or frustrating me, then I'll adjust and weigh monthly.

Rjean, thank you for the encouragement! I really needed it. I do feel this is the best plan for me. Like you, it really does 'just fit' me. I hate diets, I guess I've done them too many times over the years. I can't honestly see myself doing any plan out there (other than No-S), because they all require you to either count something (calories, carbs, points, etc. ad nauseum), and/or they're unlivable for the long term, because they require you to eliminate a whole food group or item from your diet forever (i.e. sugar). I truly don't feel like I'm on a diet when I'm on No-S. That being said, I do have to exercise some self-control...mainly when it comes to how much I put on my plate. Going without sweets M-F and not eating snacks M-F really is not that difficult for me. It's dinner when I get home. I'm usually quite hungry after work and limiting myself to one plate of food (without piling) is where the self-control has to come in, but other than that I don't even feel like I'm 'dieting' at all.

Like you said, if I can just maintain and not continue to gain, that's progress. I believe that even if I lose a little weight and then only maintain that in time I will start to lose again. I believe that because I think as I get used to the No-S way of eating that in time it will be so natural I won't be as tempted to eat bigger meals or have a number of treats on the weekends. I think that just naturally comes with time.

Thank you again for the encouragement! I've been needing some!
Happy Easter! He is Risen!