LibraryLady's checkin

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

librarylady

LibraryLady's checkin

Post by librarylady » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:16 pm

I've been doing No s now since January 5, 2011. However I have not been tracking it except in my head. Nonetheless I have been honest with myself and I can say that I have only had one real FAIL day so far.

So anyway - today -

Breakfast: raisin bran, 1% milk, watered down orange juice and coffee

Lunch: 2 smallish clementines, pre and probiotic plain yogurt and water

Dinner: It's going to be stir fried shrimp with bok choy, onions, carrots, peppers and whatever else I can scrounge up, served over rice. Probably white wine to go with dinner too.

The breakfast and lunch are pretty much my defaults every day during the week. I get my fiber and I get my calcium and all that good bacteria for the old gut. Then I make a yummy dinner which is the meal I share with my family!

Last time I weighed I was down 8 pounds since the beginning of January, so it's been a pound a week more or less. It would be nice if it kept up at that rate, but I know such things are unlikely!! :D

librarylady

Post by librarylady » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:20 pm

so far so good,

Breakfast: raisin bran w/ milk. watered down OJ, coffee

Lunch - roast vegetables on a whole wheat wrap, water

Dinner - will be vegetable soup (proably lentil) and bread with a few dumplings and seltzer

librarylady

Post by librarylady » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:56 pm

Had a real "S" weekend - with brownies and blackberry liqueur! (Not at the same time) and some girl scout cookies natch! Got some delicious shad on Sunday night - first sign of spring!

Monday was back to normal - raisin bran, OJ w/ H2O and coffee
Missed lunch, but an early dinner - vegetable soup and egg salad sandwich

Tuesday bran, OJ w/ H2O and coffee, lunch clementines and pre and probiotic yogurt, dinner pork in crockpot with vegetables over whole wheat noodles and some beets - and red wine

So far today: bran, OJ w/ H2O and coffee, and I'm about to have pre and probiotic yogurt with an orange and water. Tonight some turkey in a curry sauce with broccoli over brown rice - probably some wine

Things are fitting much better these days. This diet is one I can easily live with!!! Need more exercise - and a few more hours in the day as well

librarylady

Post by librarylady » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:54 pm

A bit of a challenging week for dinner choices since DH needs to be careful that his temporary crown stay in - nothing too chewy. Lots of stewed meat and fish! Had some lovely scrapple on Sunday for brunch. How nice to be able to eat things like that which are certainly not "diet" foods! Otherwise been staying on my usual breakfasts and lunches during N days - OJ with water, bran with milk and coffee for breakfast . Orange and pre and probiotic yogurt and water for lunch.

Down 9 pounds since the beginning of January! Sometimes I think about how much I like a muffin with my coffee in the morning, but I remind myself that I like not having a muffin top around my middle even more. But the nice thing is that I did have a wildberry whole wheat muffin on Saturday!! And I didn't feel any guilt!

librarylady

Post by librarylady » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:42 pm

Weighed in last Friday evening - woohoo! Down 11 pounds since the beginning of January! That means I'm only one pound higher than a normal BMI. Had a good couple of S days

Saturday: breakfast: 2 poached eggs on a roll with a bowl of fruit salad
no time for lunch - dinner 2 slices of cheese with crackers for appetizer, then bulger salad with cherry tomatoes, zucchini with leeks and chickpeas and a lamb tenderloin in balsamic vinegar and bourbon reduction - with a nice shared bottle of Bordeaux - daughter's homemade cake for dessert

Sunday:whole wheat bagel with cream cheese for after Mass brunch.
afternoon spent at the Ballet - Swan Lake!
Dinner mashed potatoes with leeks, baked shad, carrots and edamame beans. White wine, and cookies for dessert.

I'm off today so I must face being alone at home with the kitchen. Breakfast was bran, oj w/ H20 and coffee. So I took the dog for a five mile walk and
came home to leftover bulger salad and chickpeas with tomatoes - very tasty. I'll need to have a cup of tea later to keep away any munchies!!

librarylady

Post by librarylady » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:41 pm

My first NWS day. In honor of Shrove Tuesday I had a doughnut which one of my coworkers brought in - from a local German bakery - delicious!!

Tonight we have pancakes and scrapple - nutritionally nil I suppose, but it's only once a year -and I plan to have only a plate. Also tomorrow (Ash Wednesday) I fast.

I have one other NWS day in March - St. Patrick's - and I plan to enjoy it!

chickadee11

Post by chickadee11 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:48 pm

Just checking in~Good luck on your fasting today!

librarylady

Post by librarylady » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:41 pm

Thanks Chickadee! Doing good - drinking my water :D Got my ashes this morning. I'm always startled when I go to the restroom and notice my dirty forehead!

I really did only have one plate last night (of pancakes and scrapple of course), so my first NWS day consisted of only one extra S - the doughnut - I think it was worth it.

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:19 pm

Hi librarylady! Really enjoying your online diary :) WELL DONE with your weight loss too, that is fabulous!!!

Hope you don't mind me asking: what is pre & probiotic yogurt? How much do you have on a daily basis? Just curious: getting fed up with crackers and fruit for lunch and would like to change it up a bit. I've also had a bit of weight gain recently (as you've probably read on the boards - I bleat about it often enough - LOL!) and might try this to get the scales moving again.

librarylady

Post by librarylady » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:51 pm

Hi NoSRocks (and it does rock too!). Pre & Probiotic yogurt - ok I'm going to quote here:
Prebiotics are nondigestible food ingredients that beneficially affect the gut by selectively stimulating the growth and/or activity of one or more beneficial bacteria in the colon, thus improving host health, Fructooligosaccharides (FOS) are one of the many classes of probiotics and they’re found in legumes, vegetables, and cereals as well as yogurt. These non-absorbed fibers inhibit potentially pathogenic organisms as well as increase the absorption of minerals such as calcium, magnesium, iron, and zinc.

Probiotics are defined as live microorganisms that, when taken in adequate amounts, can be of benefit to our health. The evidence for the role of probiotics and probiotics in promoting health and fighting disease is increasing on a monthly basis and is now supported by many double- blind, placebo-controlled human trials. What used to be folklore has become scientific fact. This mounting body of very recent news simply confirms ancient wisdom. In 76 B.C., the Roman historian Plinius recommended fermented milk products (yogurt) for treatment of gastroenteritis. And a Persian version of the Old Testament (Genesis 18:8) states: “Abraham owed his longevity to the consumption of sour milk.â€
Well that was a mouthful!! It comes from here:

http://www.superfoodsrx.com/superfoods/ ... otics.html

I eat one 6 oz container of it from Wegmans (more URLs- it's the librarian in me :D
http://www.wegmans.com/webapp/wcs/store ... tId=715246

I eat the plain yogurt because I got used to it over time and I like the tart flavor, but you can get it sweetened with fruit as well. I eat it with fruit so I get the sweetness that way. I find it fills me up pretty well, although I'm hungry by dinnertime - but that's good!

librarylady

Post by librarylady » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:06 pm

Had some fish last night as it was Ash Wednesday and a no-meat day. I was really hungry too!

Today I was back to bran w/ 1% milk, OJ w/H20 and coffee. Lunch has been my famous pre and probiotic yogurt with 2 clementines and water. Dinner will be soup and bread and something like Asian dumplings - I pick these up when I go grocery shopping on Thursday and therefore don't have time to cook. Their soups are delicious and homemade (well store homemade) and their bread I have rhapsodized about elsewhere.

I did resist a soft pretzel brought in by a coworker this morning!!

I usually give something up for Lent, but I'm not eating anything extra these days so I had a hard time coming up with anything! So I'm going to make sure I say the rosary instead! :D

librarylady

Post by librarylady » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:52 pm

Went to get out my yogurt and yuck - I'd dropped a heavy book on it or something because it was squished (it's in a plastic bag so it didn't get on anything else). Threw it out and went looking for something for lunch. Friday in Lent so it had to be meatless. Kids all on spring break so pickings were few. Well thank the Lord for tuna fish!

librarylady

Post by librarylady » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:38 pm

Had a good weekend and used my Sunday S day to buy some apricot hamantaschen - I could have eaten the whole container (there were about 9 or 10 in the pack) but held myself down to two, which I ate verrrrry slowly -so as to savor them better. Actually I find myself doing that more frequently these days - which is a good thing. I have always tended to eat too fast. Now since I am restricted to one plate most of the time, I try to make it last! That's a good side effect.

Saturday was 2 poached egg on a roll with cut up melon and strawberries
One piece of cornbread for lunch. Dinner was ground lamb sauteed with vegetables served over spinach pasta and red wine. Some cookies and tea for dessert.

Sunday brunch was a bagel with sardines and mustard. Dinner was salmon with roast potatoes and sugar snap peas and white wine. HAMANTASCHEN for dessert!

Back to my normal N days. Bran and OJ/H2O and coffee all week for breakfast

Yesterday for lunch I had 8 almonds and 3 celery sticks. For dinner minestrone soup and egg salad sandwich (with pickle)

Today - usual lunch of yogurt and fruit. Turkey tenderloins for dinner tonight. I think we'll have brown rice and I'll sautee some cauliflower and red peppers to go along with it.

I tried out a dress from my closet. A size 10 - it fits, but not quite perfectly yet. A few more pounds and it will. Of course by then the weather won't allow me to wear it - there is always next year!

chickadee11

Post by chickadee11 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:11 am

Great job on the size 10 :D :D !!

Keep up the good work!

librarylady

Post by librarylady » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:35 pm

Thanks Chickadee - I hope things are better with you soon!

Today I managed to pass up on free cookies which were out all day for our e-resources fair. They are really good homemade cookies too! And students were right in front of me chomping away at them. But I resisted!

Tonight we have chicken sausages and noodles and vegetables

Tomorrow is a NSW day - I'm Irish American and I'm going to enjoy myself!

:D

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:27 pm

Hi again librarylady! Many thanks for taking the time to answer my prebiotic question so helpfully and extensively. Much appreciated!! Will have to study it in full later on when I get a chance. Kudos to you for eating the non flavored variety too! I used to like plain yogurt but haven't eaten it for some time so it might be a bit of a wake up call for my tastebuds LOL!!

Congratulations also on that size 10 victory - way to go!@!! No S does indeed ROCK!!!

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:20 pm

librarylady,

Had to stop by as I love libraries and love books :D My husband and I literally get a dozen books from our small town library every couple of weeks.

Congrats on your success, I enjoy sharing your enthusiasm.

I am sure you are on your way to a happier, healthier life!
Berry

librarylady

Post by librarylady » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:26 pm

Thanks Strawberry Roan and NoSRocks :D !

Yesterday I took my NSW day in honor of the great St. Patrick. We had a farewell lunch at work for a colleague. She is, however a vegetarian, which rather limited the goodies that were available - which was really all to the good. We had tiny little plates and although I was not trying to, I realize that I just about virtually plated one plate - and mostly vegetables and fruit at that! However I did have some pieces of my own home-baked soda bread with some real butter on it - but I skipped the cupcakes!

At dinner we had corned beef and cabbage with boiled potatoes - just one plate, but I finished up the cabbage - such a wild woman I am! I love cabbage - especially when boiled in the corned beef water. A couple of bottles of Guinness finished off the feast - and one more piece of soda bread.

I enjoyed myself immensely, but I did not overdo it. The moderation slips into one's consciousness and one simply thinks more about what one is eating. That and my new slower eating patterns are helping!!

chickadee11

Post by chickadee11 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:13 am

Sounds like you really enjoyed your holiday without ANY of the guilt~

My last name is Quinn :lol: so we had quite a bit of fun last week as well!

librarylady

Post by librarylady » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:03 pm

Ah Chickadee - I've known plenty of Quinns - lovely people! :D

Well I got back to normality easily enough. My next NSW day won't be until Passover (although I'm a Catholic we always go to our friends' seder - and you can't one plate a seder!!) Luckily Easter is on Sunday (well duh!) so that's covered without any special mods.

I notice that on weekends, when I eat a bigger breakfast - usually 2 poached eggs on a roll and cut up fruit on Saturday and a bagel with some sort of topping on Sunday, I just don't feel like lunch. I wind up just having some carrots or celery or a few almonds or maybe a fresh soft pretzel if DH brings it home. I usually plan something really nice for dinner both days and I allow myself some tasting during the preparation. Sometimes we have a regular planned dessert, but most of the time I just have a few cookies with my tea after dinner.

One thing I am lucky with is that I can actually just have a few cookies. I can see by other people's posts that that is very hard on many people. I think that because I've never tried any particular "diet" (except this one) that I don't have too much "diet head". Whenever I wanted to lose weight I always just created my own diet - usually a too strict version of No S. I essentially did No S without the S days. However that was the downfall. After I lost the weight I had no normal way to live. I could not deny myself seconds and sweets forever, so they snuck back into my life. For instance, last night my DH brought home a cheese danish. Now I love cheese danish - heck I love all danish. I would not buy it for myself but I love to eat with others. So my natural instinct would be to have a nice piece of danish, possibly followed by another nice piece! Last night I just cut him a piece and took my cup of herbal tea and sat and talked without eating danish. I was there with others, just not eating danish! I just need rules - hey maybe that's the Irish Catholic in me!! :lol:

librarylady

Post by librarylady » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:20 pm

As I posted on the main discussion board, I am now in a normal BMI range - just barely, but there!

This weekend was pretty good - no crazy overdoing it. Had some venison medallions in a port wine reduction sauce with onions and mushrooms, served with spaetzle and broccoli. Served with a Bordeaux wine - delicious! Breakfast had been 2 poached eggs on a ciabatta roll with some cut up melon and strawberries. No real lunch (this is a weekend pattern I see) - just few almonds and a clementine.

Sunday was a honey nut whole wheat bagel with light cream cheese, a piece of cornbread for lunch and for dinner a nice piece of red snapper, seared with panko crumbs and finished in the oven. We had mashed potatoes with onion and parsley and carrots. A nice white Chardonnay with that. A few too many cookies after dinner I think - they were bakery cookies, which I prefer to homemade!! (heresy I know :) )

I eat at work on Monday since I work late. The usual breakfast of Fiber one bran w/ 1% milk and OJ/H20, then a lunch consisting of 1 whole wheat English muffin with peanut butter. Dinner was a chicken sandwich, a bowl of vegetable soup and a clementine.

On Tuesday I had my usual breakfast and yogurt and a pear for lunch. Then we had turkey cutlets in curry sauce, rice and peas. Tonight we'll have chicken and noodles with vegetables - I have some leftover spaetzle and also some leftover penne. We'll see how Germany and Italy combine in a one dish meal!

librarylady

Post by librarylady » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:40 pm

Turned out that someone had eaten the leftover penne and there wasn't enough spaetzle to make up the meal - so I used some Thai rice noodles instead! So Europe and Asia worked together - it actually tasted quite good. I enjoy these midweek, what the heck do I have in the fridge meals. There was also not as much chicken as I thought, so I threw in some pinto beans. Onions, mushrooms and wilted spinach, some chicken broth some dried herbs and a bit of leftover crushed tomatoes and voila! It was yummy!

Tonight will be pizza, since we have a church related commitment right in the middle of dinner - and this is my shopping night too. We'll eat, run to church and then out to get the groceries. Otherwise we run low on the fresh stuff.

I had a banana with my yogurt today, which I had not had for a while. It is really a very satisfying fruit. I wanted so much to have a muffin with my coffee this morning, but my habits are getting stronger. I just turned away when I saw some fresh-baked ones at the market this AM. You want to be "normal BMI" libarylady? Then YOU are in charge - not your tummy toddler. The banana at lunch gave me the treat I needed.

ksbrowne

Post by ksbrowne » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:47 pm

Hi librarylady,
I enjoy reading your daily check-in! You inspire me; you're so disciplined. I'm sure you'll reach your goals.

librarylady

Post by librarylady » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:38 pm

Hey hey I am currently wearing that famous size 10 dress I mentioned in mid-March. The weather has stayed cool enough for a little sartorial victory breakthrough!

Last week I was at a conference on Friday, which meant that I ate lunch out - which is a rarity for me. Since it was Friday in Lent I wound up having a tuna wrap with a bottle of water. What was funny was that I felt absolutely stuffed. I really have trained my stomach to want a light lunch - this is the way I have been eating for the last 7 years or so. I feel sleepy when I eat more than usual. What is different since No S is that I do not have a snack later on in the afternoon, nor do I have one in mid-morning. Now you'd think that I would be starving and I was really hungry the first week, but I really am not now. (Although I have a good appetite when I am making dinner.) I think that since I am older (54) I simply don't need as much to eat as when I was younger. Obviously I have a slower metabolism (I had an incredible one as a young woman - positively chomped up the calories).

I think I am in sync with my older self.

librarylady

Post by librarylady » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:14 pm

Usually I can manage successful N days partly because I remove what we Catholics call "the near occasion of sin" - in other words, I bring my lunch (yogurt and fruit) and eat in the office - far from temptation! However yesterday I attended a funeral and went to the lunch following. And there was food galore! And yet I plated one plate, had no nibbles and no dessert (even though there were cannoli! And someone waggled a napoleon in my face too :) I was pleased with myself - then I had a piece of quiche and salad for dinner.

It was good to get back to my normal spartan lunch today. I know very well that my ability to resist cannoli has its limits.

chickadee11

Post by chickadee11 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:35 pm

GREAT JOB on the size 10!~~Next thing you know you will have to buy all new clothes (that would be an awful thing to endure :wink: )...

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:12 pm

Just wanted to stop by and say what a great job you are doing, a sane safe healthy way of losing weight. Way to go, I love how optimistic you are.

I tried to tell a relative once (who was asking, I didn't butt in) what would be the good of losing just a pound a week as she had a lot to lose. I told her at the end of a year, a person would be 52 pounds lighter. That's a lot :wink:

Keep up the good work, and congrats on the size 10. I have been working pretty hard to stay within my goal range for the Spring and Summer as I am not as covered up with blazers and jackets and don't want my flab to show :D

To your health,
Berry

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:11 pm

Hi again librarylady! I, too, am just popping in to say hello and continuing to enjoy your very inspirational and insightful posts! In my latest post, I have said I'd like to eat lower fat choices during the week i.e. N Days. Not following any specific diet 'menus' (since that doesn't work !). I note that you have yogurt and fruit for lunch and that sounds a very tasty, low fat choice. I am on the look out for ideas rather than rice crackers and cheese spread day in, day out. I've also discovered a really fantastic greek yogurt by Yoplait which is fat free and I believe, PRO BIOTIC. I think its fairly new on the shelves: comes in lime, honey, blueberry and strawberry flavors. It also has 2 x the protein of regular yogurts. The consistency of the yogurt is like a full fat creamy greek yogurt - very filling and absolutely delicious! They are a bit pricey at just over a dollar each but worth it for the taste in my opinion.

BTW - cabbage boiled in corned beef water sounds absolutely divine! I will have to try it some time. I've also heard of boiling veggies in chicken broth instead of water. (Low sodium if possible). Haven't tried it - again sounds very tasty and might encourage me to eat more of them!! Have a great day and congratulations on your size 10 victory!
No S-er since December 2009
Streamlined S Days: 6/25/12
SW: 170 /CW: 127
Weight loss to date: 43 lbs

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:43 pm

Your meals sound lovely.

librarylady

Post by librarylady » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:30 pm

Checking in again! I have been really busy and not had a chance to post. Nonetheless I have been pretty good about following NoS. I love it when it is busy at work (end of the semester frantic kids - OMG - those papers which were assigned the beginning of the semester back in January are really DUE NOW!) - however when I am busy at work there is no time to think about food :D

We had a lovely time at our friend's seder, which was a definite NSW day! Many many plates! And a delicious flourless chocolate cake AND macaroons.
I guess I was lucky that Good Friday arrived later in the week and made me fast!

We had ham, scalloped potatoes and asparagus for Easter dinner. I did have a few jelly beans and a couple of peeps, but I must say I was pretty good about the candy. And since Monday arrived I have virtuously walked right by an open basket full of goodies. NOW THAT is something I never could have done before No S!

Right now I have to be careful about what I cook for dinner since my DH is having dental surgery and must stick to soft, non-chewy stuff. It makes planning meals a bit of a challenge, but I certainly don't want him to be afraid to eat lest the temporary crown come off!

I have continued to "shop" in the back of my closet. I wait until I am all alone and pull out something which did not fit last spring and try it on. If it fits (and mostly they do) I do a little happy dance!

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:32 am

Good for you, librarylady! Sounds like you're doing great!! Isn't it wonderful to go into the closet and be able to try everything on and it fits??
That would be a dream for me since everything is sooo darn tight right now.

Had a bit of a rocky week myself unfortunately but as soon as I log in and start to read all the inspirational messages on here, I am inspired to keep going. Have a great weekend!!
No S-er since December 2009
Streamlined S Days: 6/25/12
SW: 170 /CW: 127
Weight loss to date: 43 lbs

librarylady

back again!

Post by librarylady » Tue May 10, 2016 4:45 pm

As I posted on the main board, I did No S in 2011 and was quite successful - so much so that I stopped thinking about it for a while. Then I thought so little that I started to let old bad habits creep back - and started new ones! So I began to gain -- not horribly, but the trend was obvious. Now I have restarted having learned that I must be careful about getting cocky - I do need to think about what I am doing and I don't have my 20 year old self's metabolism anymore! (That last one is a hard one for me!

:) )
This time my husband is doing it with me, which is making it a lot easier. I don't eat much when I am by myself, but I do tend to like special treats with others - which can become bad habits rather than occasional treats!
I threw out all the cookies in the house - we don't need them and they are not that good anyway. If I want something sweet on S days, I will make sure it really is good!

It has been working - I am down (6 pounds so far in about 6 weeks) and so is he. But I must remain accountable, hence restarting this thread.

So today I had my usual breakfast - a handful of All Bran at home and them a hard boiled egg with a Venti coffee at work. I cannot stomach an egg at 6:15 in the morning, but I if I eat it at work around 9:30 it prevents me from feeling hungry and falling for the desire to pick out something sweet at Starbucks (that was one of the "bad habits" that I managed to pick up) Lunch will be my usual yogurt and an apple with water (I rarely eat more for lunch - regular lunches make me sleepy anymore) Dinner will be leftover strip steak with some salad and something else - a bit of rice or potato or something - and some leftover vegetables. We drink mineral water every weeknight - saving wine for the weekend (another change we decided on together - I love wine and all alcoholic beverages but they can really pack on the pounds!!) No dessert, which is not hard for me as even on S days I rarely have it. In my family growing up, dessert was a Sunday thing -my grandmother would pick up a cake from a bakery after Mass. Luckily neither grandmother (I was raised by them since my mother died when I was young) were bakers! (One of them would sometimes make bran or blueberry muffins, but that was it - never cookies or pies or cakes) Therefore I do not feel under any obligation to bake for my family in order to show them I love them. This is particularly helpful during Christmas :D Then some herbal tea at night. And so to bed!

librarylady

Post by librarylady » Thu May 12, 2016 12:41 pm

My husband was talking to a coworker who told him she had lost 100 pounds using Weight Watchers - and then gained them back. She said keeping constant track of what she ate was challenging at first and then got old. It is the simplicity of No S as much as anything which makes it work.

Yesterday was an emotional day - we had to put our beloved cat to sleep. I actually did not feel like eating, but I had some Asian food from the market since I had no time (or energy) to cook. I did have a whiskey as a nightcap however.

Down one more pound. So far it has been about a pound a week, which seems moderate enough. I know it will plateau somewhere but it should eventually come out as I want it. (I hope!)

librarylady

Post by librarylady » Mon May 16, 2016 12:16 pm

Brought daughter home from college on Friday, which meant a tuna sandwich for lunch rather than my usual yogurt and fruit. Also had more time for breakfast so we had oatmeal with half a banana and hard boiled egg. Stuffed shells with green beans for dinner and some wine - more than I usually eat during a weekday, but no snacks, sweets or seconds so all is good. Saturday was pretty mild- just a hearty breakfast with 2 poached eggs on a roll and a bran muffin - too full for lunch, some popcorn before dinner and then pork loin, wild rice and salad and wine - no dessert. On Sunday it was a bagel with kippers and mustard and a scone for brunch after Mass. Dinner was swordfish, a small baked potato with a pat of butter and sauteed broccoli and onions and wine. Strawberries and (real!) whipped cream for dessert.

I had felt that I ate a lot more than usual, because the tuna sandwich (made by a deli) was so big and I felt so full after eating it. But when I look at what I ate it was not actually all that much more than normal!

I rarely have lunch on weekends, just because I have larger than normal (for me) breakfasts and on Sunday I don't eat until nearly 11:00 because I fast before Mass. When I want something sweet on the weekend, I have tried to concentrate on berries - which are coming out right now and which I love!

librarylady

Post by librarylady » Tue May 17, 2016 5:05 pm

Back to my usual breakfast on Monday - bran at home, followed by hard boiled egg at work. Just a yogurt for lunch. Then a big salad with chicken, quinoa, feta cheese, tomatoes, black olives and balsamic dressing, with a whole wheat roll and butter.

I find I sleep better when I feel just a twinge of hunger before I go to bed - not enough to keep me awake, but a feeling that I could eat more. When I wake up I don't feel any hungrier than normal (which is not much - I rarely wake up hungry, since I get up at 5:30 and really don't like to eat much then, which is why I wait to eat the egg at work.)

librarylady

Post by librarylady » Wed May 18, 2016 11:04 pm

Had off today for a funeral. Had a larger than normal weekday breakfast because we were on the road -2 breakfast burritos at McDonalds - which was a mistake - too heavy. There were light sandwiches for lunch so I just had half of one with some cole slaw and did not partake of any cookies, just a few pieces of cut up fruit. Then some lamb, boiled potatoes, and salad for dinner. It was a green day, but I wish I had made a better choice for breakfast. But tomorrow is another day.

librarylady

Post by librarylady » Fri May 20, 2016 7:18 pm

Stepped on the scale and was startled to see that I had gone down 3 pounds! That makes 10 pounds since I began 7 weeks ago.

It shows me that it was the bad habits which I had allowed myself that were putting on the extra weight - when I left off the bad habits, the weight started to come off. Now I must be sure not to let those habits start creeping back!!

I think I have learned my lesson - but time will tell!! :) I have a few months before I go on vacation -- now that will be a challenge as I will be out of my normal routine and there will be lots of nice food and drink. But right now I will concentrate on getting those habits strengthened again - sort of like muscles which you let go flabby and which must be brought back into use!

kaalii

Post by kaalii » Fri May 20, 2016 9:58 pm

congratulations on the weight loss and the insights!

i am also dreading a bit my 6 weeks summer holidays and travels... but one thing at a time... what we build now habit-wise must stick at least a bit...
i am thinking that noS can be holiday-proof to a degree...
let's see... and at least promise to ourself to check-in here occasionally to het the head straightened when needed...

have a nice S weekend!
BMI: 18.8
Body Fat %: 17.6
in it for maintenance and, more importantly, sanity!!

librarylady

Post by librarylady » Mon May 23, 2016 7:28 pm

Thanks for the support kaalii!

Things continued to go well this weekend, with poached eggs and a nice roll followed by a small muffin for breakfast on Saturday, a bran muffin for lunch, popcorn and a small sherry before dinner and then some sirloin cubes sauteed with carrots, onions and potatoes and a glass of red wine for dinner. No dessert. Sunday brunch was a bagel, with one side whitefish salad and one side butter, followed by a scone. Dinner was trout with some noodles and baked asparagus, followed by strawberries and a scoop of frozen yogurt and white wine.
This morning I was back to a normal "n" day.: bran and eggs in the AM, yogurt and apple for lunch. I really can see myself doing this for the rest of my life (now all I have to do is to DO this for the rest of my life!)

I realize now that as an older woman, I must eat rather small meals for most of my meals, but I have no problem with my "n" day breakfasts and lunches being small, since for me eating is most enjoyable as a social occasion and those two meals are eaten alone. Dinner is eaten with others and I always try to make it as tasty and special as possible. We sit down, light candles and drink our weekday mineral water in stemmed glasses. I don't use processed foods - never did, so it was not difficult for me to continue that way. Weekday dinners are often simpler than weekends, but they always include lots of fresh vegetables. I never had a formal dessert after weekday dinners, but I used to eat a lot of cookies by the handful with my herbal tea. (That was one of the bad habits I got into!) I have thrown out the cookies and not bought any more. I really don't miss them much -it was mindless eating.

librarylady

Post by librarylady » Tue May 24, 2016 1:32 pm

Had baked chicken with panko crumbs, rice and salad for dinner, with mineral water. Today is stacking up a a usual day as well. Tomorrow I am off for a few days (or I lose vacation time this fiscal year). This may be a challenge as I will be off my usual schedule and might be tempted to graze as I clean the house. This will be my first real test!! One thing that should help is that I have removed temptations from my shelves - no cookies or any kind of snack, so I can't be totally mindless.

librarylady

Post by librarylady » Tue May 31, 2016 2:57 pm

I had a few days off and I am glad to say that I passed the test! I ate three meals (probably a bit bigger than my normal Spartan fare, but just things like sandwiches rather than yogurt and toast or oatmeal rather than All Bran. But no extra sweets (except on "S" days), no snacks and no seconds. Yesterday was an "S" day as it was Memorial Day and I had guests. I had planned to have watermelon for dessert, but my cousin brought a mixed berry pie -- so I did have dessert (and it was great!) I had three strips of London Broil, a tablespoon of potato salad, ditto of some cabbage salad and green salad. Two beers and a handful of chips. My weekend "S" days were quite mild, with no dessert either day, so I felt I could indulge a bit. We had some leftover potato salad - about one heaping tablespoon - and I threw it out! Victory!

Back to normal today. The No S diet did not prevent my having fun but I did keep it in mind.

librarylady

Post by librarylady » Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:04 pm

Well I did have a FAIL last night. I had bought some strawberries intending to have them as dessert on Saturday. Well we did not feel like having dessert on Saturday so I figured Sunday would be as good. On Sunday we had sangria instead - which is like a liquid dessert! :D Monday was Memorial Day and my cousin brought a delicious pie. So now it was Tuesday and I knew that the strawberries would not last until next weekend. So I cut them up and served them with a tablespoon full of frozen vanilla yogurt and we ate dessert on an "N" day! (My daughter put what was left into her post-workout smoothie!)

As FAILs go it was pretty mild. However it may have included vanilla frozen yogurt, but it was NOT Vanilla NoS!

librarylady

Post by librarylady » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:27 pm

I'm very lucky in that my husband is doing NoS with me - he has lost about 8 pounds - which delighted his doctor! He is now lower than he has been in 10 years. However he still wants to lose about 10 pounds more since he knows it is important for his health. My 19 year old daughter is very slim and healthy and has no problem with having no snacks in the house most of the time. She might ask for a bag of veggie chips sometimes, but I just say to myself " they are her snacks, not mine" and that has worked since she came back from college for the summer. I try to remember that treats are just that - treats - to be rare and delightful because they are rare - not something that is supposed to be a regular phenomenon.

When I got married I had to get used to having treats in the house regularly because my husband's family always had them (my own family did not) - I was able to keep my weight down despite this because I had a very fast metabolism as a younger woman and I did not snack all that much anyway. As I aged my metabolism slowed down and after my child was born and I hit forty I began to gain weight slowly. (Being around new mothers I was astonished by the emphasis on daily treats by so many people - I actually had other mothers telling me that my daughter had to have regular treats - always called "healthy treats" - gee how did I survive my childhood without them!) Now having the whole family on board with a lack of ordinary everyday treats has been a real plus this time around on NoS. For me the more difficult thing has been cutting alcoholic beverages out except for weekends! Doing so however has made a big difference.

I now just look at what I eat especially during the week and say - is this adding to my nutritional needs? I know that as a 59 year old woman I must use the food going into my mouth to nurture my body and make it healthy. I no longer have the metabolism of a 20 year old and cannot fool around! I cannot lose weight with snacks and sweets and second helpings - or with daily wine or liquor consumption. Even on the weekends I must think about what I eat, but I can relax a bit and yes -- have treats!! (But worthwhile treats!)

librarylady

Post by librarylady » Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:58 pm

Great dinner last night - tuna with cannellini beans, parsley, onions and lettuce and a little bit of whole wheat rotini, dressed with some olive oil and lemon and salt and pepper - very refreshing. I did say no to some beer which was leftover from Memorial Day, but I had a piece of watermelon - which I virtually plated -- it would just about fit, but it did.

My rate of weight loss has slowed down, as I thought it would, but I have not gained and have in fact gone down an ounce or so (though I don't stress ounces one way or the other. So that is good.

Merry

Post by Merry » Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:32 am

My weight loss slowed after the first month or two also, but I think that's normal. I always tell myself, I didn't gain this weight overnight, I won't lose it overnight either! Slow and steady wins this race. You're doing great!

My dh is doing NoS with me too! (He's so cute--last January he asked me what NoS meant--he thought it would be like "no salt" or something! And he asked if there was a simple way describe the diet, and I said I could describe it in 14 words, LOL and showed him the cover of the book! "You can read it if you want, but this is all you need to know!" My dh has chronic Lyme and reading is sometimes very difficult for him. I got us a NoS magnet for the fridge too!)

Anyway...it's nice to have a partner in this. And our teen daughter is so supportive--it's cute!
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation

librarylady

Post by librarylady » Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:48 pm

Thanks Merry -- yes having him on board has been very helpful. We are less likely to sabotage our mutual habit-building. He has lost quite a bit of weight but he does need to watch his blood sugar, so we are switching to whole grains pretty completely and paying more attention to that aspect of our diet.

I was happy the other night however when my daughter, speaking of some of her friends and their families' diets said -- "some of them hardly ever have vegetables - and never the dark green leafy vegetables we always have. And you don't rely on takeout or processed foods. You are a pretty healthy cook mom" Wow - what college teaches them! :lol:

And all those random floating ounces got together and left, so at my weigh-in today I was down another pound! :D

librarylady

Post by librarylady » Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:51 pm

It was a good week and a good weekend. Switching over to whole grains, such as whole wheat bread and pasta, bulgur, kasha, barley etc. They lend themselves well to salads so they fit summer eating well. Only thing we can't have is quinoa - I love it, DH does not. Oh well :D

The grill is fired up and adding flavor as well - I love grilled vegetables, such as asparagus, zucchini, cauliflower etc.. And we had planked salmon, which is my favorite way to cook it.

The only real standout "S" event was frozen vanilla custard served in mango Italian ice. I had not had this for about 2 years but we indulged on Saturday -- yummy! On Sunday we had watermelon for dessert.

And so back to "N" days. I'm writing this down so I will read this and remember how happy I feel when I stay with the No S way of eating. Note to self -- do NOT let in the bad habits -- stick with the good habits! :wink: Rinse and repeat over and over in my head.

e-lyn

Post by e-lyn » Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:34 pm

I grew up eating all those lovely whole grains. My family will eat them too but I'm pretty sure they all still prefer the white stuff. Last week I made tabbouleh with quinoa which they tolerated quite well, haha.

My husband read the No S book last night. I think he might be joining me in this way of eating. I'd love to get some tips on how to help him. Many years ago we did Weight Watcher's together and lost a lot. Then we had a couple of years on the McDougall plan. I lost weight but he didn't lose at all...how is that even possible? After all this 'dieting' he is just fed up and wants to eat freely but he's putting on the pounds rapidly. I'm hoping we can finally turn things around with No S.

Enjoying your posts!

librarylady

Post by librarylady » Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:17 pm

Hi e-lyn! I lost a lot of weight a number of years ago (45 pounds), essentially by restricting myself to "n" days 7 days a week. (This was before I had heard of the no s diet) My husband did much the same and it was the fact that we were doing it together that made it work. Unfortunately, nobody can go without some sweets forever and having lost the weight I had no way of handling maintenance. When I started to eat sweets and seconds and snacks again, I began to gain back. I went on No S by myself a few years ago and lost what I had gained back and realized that this was the best way to develop habits for life which could work. However since I was doing it by myself it was easy to start allowing myself little modifications and exceptions which became new bad habits. If my husband brought home doughnuts I would eat them!! I'd have some liqueur after dinner etc. etc. The good habits did not totally disappear, but I was slipping away.

We both decided to tackle the weight together again - this time adding the "S" days so we would have an eating style which a normal human being can handle. There are diabetics in his family and he wants to keep his blood sugar down. There are diabetics in my family too and so I feel the same. Both of us have always had roaring good health and neither of us ever got into the obesity range, but we do realize that nobody is guaranteed good health and as we enter our sixth decade it is up to us to do all we can to stay healthy.

I would bet that your husband will like "no s" -- many men tend to like the "no bs" simplicity of this way of eating. I meant it just makes sense! Good luck!

e-lyn

Post by e-lyn » Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:37 pm

It looks like we're close in age to you and your husband but with more weight to lose, unfortunately. The last couple of years have been a bit rough for us with the illness and death of husband's parents. We're both in decent health but not wanting to carry around this extra weight into our senior years.

Like you said, my hubby liked the book because it appealed to his reasonable 'no bs' personality and reminds him of how his family used to eat. I really hope he will make a commitment to it. It would help him and also make things a lot easier for me. Even though we still have two skinny sons living at home, he is my primary eating partner!

Merry

Post by Merry » Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:06 am

librarylady wrote: And all those random floating ounces got together and left, so at my weigh-in today I was down another pound! :D
Awesome!
Respect Moderation

librarylady

Post by librarylady » Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:52 pm

I have helped my husband to develop some intelligent dietary defaults of his own, although actually he was doing that himself. We talked about the importance of getting some protein at breakfast to prevent the sort of mid-morning hunger that leads to snacks (so hard boiled eggs or whole wheat toast with almond butter or such additions). I am so glad that eggs are back on the list of things "allowed" to be eaten by "experts" :roll: .We also both agreed -- no more cookies or cakes in the house during the week. We could get something on the weekend, but nothing that would hang on during the week to act as a temptation. And we agreed that we could no longer polish off a bottle of wine a night (and yes we could do that with very little difficulty - both of us have a very high tolerance for alcohol) and I love wine with dinner. However we now have mineral water - in stemmed glasses, which somehow seems nicer!

We confine drinks to the weekend and treats too. We try to eat lots of fruits and vegetables and whole grains. It is working and we can see the results. No rapid loss of weight, but is has been steady (with some odd wobbles). I always weight myself at the same time on Friday mornings (before I have eaten anything for the day!) I told him not to step on the scale first thing Monday morning or last thing Sunday night!! :wink: .

librarylady

Post by librarylady » Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:32 pm

So my usual dietary defaults for breakfast and lunch, followed by grilled boneless marinated chicken thighs and barley salad (I'd forgotten how much I love barkey!). Then some strawberries - which I am not counting as dessert or a fail. It is June and they are fresh local strawberries -- it is almost an obligation to eat them! :D They are so much sweeter than the California variety shipped across country. But they don't last long - eat them or pitch them (and I'm not pitching them.)

There are a lot of farm stands on my husband's way home from work and local food always tastes better. It will soon be blueberry season!!!

Oh yeah - and health is always the long term lookout for this form of eating, but the short term one is also helpful --- VANITY! A skirt I had bought at the end of winter, hoping to wear in the spring and which turned out to be too tight at that time (WAKEUP CALL!), now fits well and looks good. :lol:

What really alerted me to the fact that my eating habits had developed too many bad variants was a little black dress that I was planning to wear to a benefit. Somehow over a year it had gotten "too little" (or I had gotten too big :oops: )

librarylady

Post by librarylady » Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:12 pm

Was doing very well with my usual breakfast and lunch - dinner was grilled shrimp with brown rice and salad. My darling daughter made chocolate chip cookies yesterday when she got home from work. Alas it was Wednesday - the middle of the week! Did I want to have a cookie when it was at its most fresh or wait until Saturday? Ummm -- I had a FAIL - it just seemed too abnormal to avoid something so good (and rare - we are not big bakers in my house.) So I ate (just one though!!) and moved on :lol: (they were delicious)

Luckily she had friends over to do a workout last night (they come over most nights) and they ate quite a few of them afterwards. So there are not loads of them sitting there calling me. :D

kaalii

Post by kaalii » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:18 pm

i would have taken that cookie in that situation and that moment,too!
and the fact that you enjoyed just one is also very important! :)
i love the "mark it and move on" principle so much...
so sane and so encouraging!

Merry

Post by Merry » Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:54 am

librarylady wrote:Was doing very well with my usual breakfast and lunch - dinner was grilled shrimp with brown rice and salad. My darling daughter made chocolate chip cookies yesterday when she got home from work. Alas it was Wednesday - the middle of the week! Did I want to have a cookie when it was at its most fresh or wait until Saturday? Ummm -- I had a FAIL - it just seemed too abnormal to avoid something so good (and rare - we are not big bakers in my house.) So I ate (just one though!!) and moved on :lol: (they were delicious)

Luckily she had friends over to do a workout last night (they come over most nights) and they ate quite a few of them afterwards. So there are not loads of them sitting there calling me. :D
I love your restraint that you ate just one!! Very impressive! I think it was a good choice. Put a few in a baggie for the weekend too :-).
Respect Moderation

librarylady

Post by librarylady » Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:16 pm

There were no homemade cookies left when the weekend came! My daughter's friends polished them off in a few days (and my husband helped) - glad I had one when I could! :D

Had a good weekend with a nice breakfast of poached eggs with a French roll, one carrot muffin and cut up melon, blueberries, and pineapple. No lunch, but we did have popcorn with drinks before dinner. My husband likes his cocktail, but I have gotten into the habit of making a white wine spritzer in a large glass with lots of seltzer which makes me feel I am having a lot (even though it is actually mostly water!) Dinner was grilled chicken with salad and some delicious Mosel wine. The salad included a small helping of whole wheat pasta - not a pasta salad, but a green salad with a few rotini to give it extra oomph. We stopped at a local bakery for dessert - I had a cupcake.

Sunday brunch after Mass was a whole wheat bagel with sardines and mustard on one side and hummus on the other. No lunch as usual (but I did have a cold beer after walking the dog in the heat!), and a lovely dinner of grilled halibut with a red cabbage salad and some whole wheat bread accompanied by a nice California Chardonnay.

Then some workout time with my daughter - my thighs can feel it today! :lol: There are treats in the office today, (leftovers from a coworkers party) but they are off to the side out of my sight - and I plan to leave them there. 8)

Update -- I have had my lunch and still have not touched the treats! Someone asked me if I had eaten some yet and I just said "oh not yet" :)

librarylady

Post by librarylady » Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:01 pm

The "office treats" are still there and I have still not eaten them. It is great to have No S in my head because I have a specific reason not to indulge. And when I look at them - yes they are nice, but I've had better (and will have again in the future). :D A good way to look at it!

Last night we had leftover red cabbage salad, regular green salad with some goat cheese crumbles and a hamburger on a whole wheat bun. And a few strawberries.

kaalii

Post by kaalii » Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:39 pm

librarylady wrote:The "office treats" are still there and I have still not eaten them. It is great to have No S in my head because I have a specific reason not to indulge. And when I look at them - yes they are nice, but I've had better (and will have again in the future). :D A good way to look at it!
yes! :)

librarylady

Post by librarylady » Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:41 pm

Had some zoodles mixed with peppers onions and tomatoes rather than noodles last night with some grilled pork loin and strawberries. We're trying to either low carb or go with whole grain in order to keep my husband's blood sugar down. They were actually fine (I'm new to spiralizing!) and will be a great way to deal with the zucchini glut that tends to happen in the later summer :)

The scale and I have been playing games the last few days. Even though I told my husband not to ever weigh himself on a Monday, I weighed myself on Monday - not one to take my own good advice (I was feeling looser clothing and wanted to check). I was up 2 pounds from last week! Hmm - it wasn't much of a debauch this weekend - what gives? :?: So I weighed myself on Tuesday after a couple of perfectly virtuous "n" days - and I was now up 3 pounds from last week. Whaaat? :shock:

Luckily I did not freak out because I knew that there was no way on God's green earth that I had actually gained 3 pounds in as many days. So this morning I stepped on the scale and - voila - I was down to the lowest I have been since I restarted NoS in late March - lower than last week! Scales can be helpful, but you have to bear things like this in mind! :lol:

kaalii

Post by kaalii » Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:42 pm

oh yes, scales are not reliable too much... water retention, muscle gain, the time of the day the weighing takes place...
when normal weight, body fat measurment can be more helpfull although not always...
waist size and clothes fitting are more reliable... but then again some people suffer from bloating occasionally... so it is also not perfect...

bunsofaluminum

Post by bunsofaluminum » Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:30 pm

Phooey on the scale. Your clothes are fitting looser. Maybe you're building muscle? Remember that before/during/after pic of the young woman... in the first pic she is 123 lbs, soft and a bit fleshy. Second pic, she is 132 lbs, with some definition in her abs. Third pic, 137 lbs with taut abs and visible hip bones. She actually gained 14 pounds while trimming down tremendously.

so yeah. Scale don't know nuthin. If your energy is good and your eating is sane...

good going!

librarylady

Post by librarylady » Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:02 pm

Yep the lower weight showed up again today. I did know that I was going down, but it is still nice to see it :D My husband also reported to me that he was down. He is the lowest he has been in about 9 years!

Yesterday was whole grain couscous with grilled asparagus and onions tomatoes and some fish in a sort of salad bowl. A real mid-week what is in the fridge kind of meal! I love having the grill to give vegetables a special kick!

No strawberries today :cry: We ate them all (but my husband promises to pick up more from the farm stand on his way home!) And I read today that the blueberry season this year should be great because of the weather -- cannot wait! :lol:

knitapeace

Post by knitapeace » Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:47 pm

Back in the day when I was doing My Fitness Pal, I used a weight tracker app (Happy Scale? Something like that.) that would show you your overall trend rather than making you focus on that one day's weight. The problem was, it showed better results if you weighed every day. And I was the type that got a little freaked out if I saw a gain and tried to compensate, which wasn't always the healthiest mindset. But if you can weather the daily weigh-ins, it does give you a much better idea of how you're doing.

librarylady

Post by librarylady » Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:12 pm

I do recognize that I have to weigh in at least once a week. Otherwise I will start lying to myself about any possible weight gain. "Oh these jeans still fit so I'm ok" (Not allowing myself to admit that I have to suck in to zip them!) I know I'm gaining when I start to avoid the checking in. Sometimes I even put off a doctors appointment for a month or so in order to avoid getting on a scale. I did have to get on one in March and I was forced to face that I was heading in the wrong direction! (That and a little black dress which had become too "little" to wear if I wanted to breathe during the event) It forced me to be honest with myself and return to No S (which I know will work). But I must stay honest with myself this time!!

librarylady

Post by librarylady » Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:45 pm

I seemed to eat a lot this weekend - including Friday, but when I write it down it doesn't seem all that bad.

I was off Friday so we ate breakfast out - eggs over easy and scrapple - I just picked at the home fried potatoes and had only one piece of toast. Then we had sandwiches for lunch, turkey and swiss on rye, and spaghetti and meatballs for dinner.

Saturday was 2 poached eggs on a French roll with a bran muffin and some cut up fruit. No lunch and some steak with grilled cauliflower and salad for dinner with a really good Washington State wine.

Sunday brunch was a whole wheat bagel and a scone. Then out to dinner to a lovely country inn for Father's Day. I had a cocktail and then some beet and goat cheese salad followed by venison for dinner with a Pinot Noir shared among the company. No dessert -- no room!

Actually feel good to get back to N days today! :D

librarylady

Post by librarylady » Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:14 pm

Had some lovely homemade pizza (courtesy of my daughter) - some tomato sauce, broccoli, prosciutto and mozzarella. Just enough for a largish slice for us all, with some salad. Pizza can be such a good and healthy dish! A couple of weeks ago she made a great one with beets, goat cheese and zucchini. The great thing about homemade is you know exactly what is in it!

kaalii

Post by kaalii » Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:54 pm

oh yes, pizza can be such a good meal when done and eaten well...
uf, cant wait for italy in 2 weeks!

librarylady

Post by librarylady » Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:37 pm

Last night we had lamburgers on pita with tzatziki sauce and some spiralized cucumber salad (which was delicious and cute!). Later in the evening I did some cardio-kickboxing with my daughter. And lifted some freeweights. I did that last week and my legs were crying for couple of days. :lol: Today however I can feel it but it is not as bad!

I do a lot of brisk walking, but this kind of workout is different for me (and good for me too!)

I turned down a piece of pie which was offered me - almost without thinking! It was an "N" day, so no dessert (and that was what my brain really said!)

I did have fresh plump blueberries on my All Bran this morning - the blueberry rush is on!