gk's check-in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

gk

gk's check-in

Post by gk » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:08 pm

Hello, all - I'm back. This is the third check-in I've started since my first attempt at No-S in 11/10, but I wanted to start anew without the old baggage hanging above me. :)

Over my break from No S, I've discovered a book that has significantly, significantly, helped me with my on-going battle with emotional eating/bingeing, self-image, motivation, etc. It is Bob Greene's "The Life You Want". It is not a diet book, just a book to help you with any underlying issues you have that may be a barrier to succeeding in a healthy lifestyle.

In the past I have usually read those types of books with a grain of salt and a "whatever" attitude, but this book has been like an "ah-ha moment" for me. (Will use that Oprah term, considering it's Bob Greene's book :wink: ). I haven't even finished reading it yet (3/4 done), but I'm completely sold on it. It's already helping me re-assess many things that have been big obstacles for me.

It's funny.....throughout many portions of the book he has mentioned certain habits where I found myself saying outloud, "hey, that's No S!", so Reinhard's book in combination with Bob Greene's book is a perfect fit for me. (I still think No S is by FAR the best diet plan out there.)

You see, I had reached a point in my life where the emotional eating/bingeing and depression had taken its toll. I knew I had hit rock bottom when last week, I found myself going to bed and waiting for my husband to fall asleep, and then going down to the kitchen to continue eating (I had even already had my late-night snacking with my husband earlier). I've NEVER been to that point. I've been a closet eater to the point that I eat when others aren't around or after the kids are in bed, etc. But I have never gotten to the point that I'm getting up in the middle of the night to binge, like some kind of drug addict. That coupled with my increasing depression has made me realize that I can't go on like this anymore. I need to find different ways to work through my problems, and I need structure.

I'm ready.

Since I'm not done with Bob Greene's book yet, and haven't set up all the new schedule/habits I plan to slowly incorporate, I hadn't planned on re-establishing myself here until later. (I have been a lurker since I left last though - it's like a comfort to have this connection here, ya know?) Anyway, I decided to go ahead and drop my first post now. I find it very helpful to have my "on-line journal" to let things out at the end of each day and to reflect on the ups and downs that starting a new lifestyle brings.

I guess I must really be ready to start anew as my husband is out of town this week, which is usually my all-time high point of going crazy with food and bad habits as there is no one around to notice....no guilt. Which I had been doing until yesterday. Then suddenly, I put down the food and thought to myself - No. More. I can't do this anymore. So, even though he's still out of town and I'm still in my "free time", I've started to slowly rebuild good habits. No more "I'll start tomorrow. Or I'll start on Monday". I guess that shows it's finally time.

So, as of now, I'm slowly re-entering No S. I will try to come to terms with some things. I will put my energy into enjoying life and not making things harder than they need to be.

To start, I've decided on a loosely-structured No S.....three meals and no seconds. I do plan to have one snack a day, if needed, probably around 4:00. I am undecided about the last S yet.....sweets......don't know if I want to have S days or if I should omit those and just lightly sprinkle my treats throughout the week. I will make that decision later....as for now, I will allow myself a small treat when I feel I'm about to "crack", but definately nothing in excess.

I will start exercising in a few days, after I've had a little more time to re-arrange my schedule and gather more info.

I realize I have a long road ahead of me, but for the first time I can say I honestly feel no anxiety or apprehension when thinking about it......just a very new and comforting calmness. It is possible to change this.....it'll just take some time.

Time for my new beginning. :)
Last edited by gk on Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:25 pm

There is nothing like putting that one foot in front of the other one... way to go, gk.
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

gk

Post by gk » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:00 pm

Kevin: Thanks for the kind note. :)

Well, my first day back was good. Of course, it would be....I had so much food stored up in me from my bingeing that I was living off of that just fine. :lol:

The second day back is always the hardest for me.....started to notice lack of constant comfort food, and my body was feeling a little hungry. I had my healthy snack, but my sweet indulgence was more than it should have been. On the bright side, it wasn't as bad as it could have been. Progress.

It's funny how after only one day I am already noticing my food more....texture, taste, smell. I really do like how eating in moderation really makes you appreciate and enjoy your food more.

I am feeling very good right now. Hopeful. Optimistic. I'm almost done with my Bob Greene book. All I have left is a chapter that gives examples of different exercises you can start with, etc. I've taken all the quizzes. Filled out most of the goal-setting sheets. Made notes while I read the book, so I have my quick-reference sheet to refer to in times of need. Getting all my ducks in a row. Really putting effort into shaking things up....finding different ways to deal with the munchies. Also plan to start trying new things. (I'm one who's always SO stuck in her ways.)

All of the foods that kill my willpower are now OUT of the house. Should make things alot easier.

Heck....even the sun is shining brightly today. Life is good. :D

gk

Post by gk » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:01 pm

I am currently resisting the urge to eat chocolate, as a regular trigger of mine presented itself today.

Yay, me. :D

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:27 pm

Yay, you and your reasserting-itself willpower. :D
gk wrote:I am currently resisting the urge to eat chocolate, as a regular trigger of mine presented itself today.

Yay, me. :D
Kevin

gk

Post by gk » Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:24 pm

I can't believe it!! I actually got through yesterday without a snack. I have allowed myself one floating snack a day, if needed, which is usually around 4:00. The time came and went and I felt okay, so I passed. Then, I usually feel the munchies sneaking up later at night. That time came and went, and I STILL felt fine! Whew!!! What a refreshing change! Feels so good to be sticking to a meal plan and enjoying my healthy foods again. I do believe a little sanity has returned to my world, and I am loving it. And it's only been three days! Imagine how good I will feel in a couple of weeks. :D

So, it's Saturday morning. I have been so focused on the fact that I'm in "healthy mode" again that it just dawned on me that this is an S day already. (Never have started a diet in the middle of the week before, so this sure came up fast.) Initially was up in the air about whether to have S days or do the "sprinkling thing" throughout the week. After just a few days back, I think I will feel better going with S days. I felt so good yesterday, having a "clean day", but whenever I had my treats earlier I just felt like I wasn't getting out of bad habit routine.

So, there ya have it. I'm hoppin back on the S Day wagon. You know, that has been my biggest downfall in the past....my S days were pretty bingey there in the end. But I'm in a different place now, so I think I will better be able to handle them this time around.

The only thing I have left in the house that sounds remotely tempting is some chocolate pudding. (Wow....I've like never had only one source of chocolate in the house before. Boy, I must be pretty serious this time. :lol: ) So, that's the plan for this weekend.

I'll try having my S days be one serving of sweets each day in addition to 1-2 snacks. My snacks on S Days won't have to be a fruit/veggie like on N Days, but they can't be another sweet.

Off to take some more little baby steps..... :)

gk

Post by gk » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:03 am

The weekend has always given me the same sensation of just wanting to blow everything off.....kids are out of school, schedule's outta wack, and to top it off, it was cloudy and snowing. Perfect conditions for comfort food and throwing out the rules.

However, this time I was able to handle it better. By mid-afternoon I could feel my newly-found attitude wavering, but instead of saying, "ahh...screw it", I said to myself, "NO", and went upstairs to read through my new book on motivation. After reading for just 10 minutes, I started to get that willpower back and I could feel myself working my way out of it. I was just fine the rest of the day.

I took full advantage of my two snacks and sweet and enjoyed them thoroughly. My sweet ended up being a delicious chocolate cupcake at the school fair, and man was it SOO S-worthy :) ).

I feel good that I was teetering on that slippery slope today and for once didn't cave. :)

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:49 pm

Congrats, gk. Sounds like you did very well.
gk wrote:The weekend has always given me the same sensation of just wanting to blow everything off.....kids are out of school, schedule's outta wack, and to top it off, it was cloudy and snowing. Perfect conditions for comfort food and throwing out the rules.

However, this time I was able to handle it better. By mid-afternoon I could feel my newly-found attitude wavering, but instead of saying, "ahh...screw it", I said to myself, "NO", and went upstairs to read through my new book on motivation. After reading for just 10 minutes, I started to get that willpower back and I could feel myself working my way out of it. I was just fine the rest of the day.

I took full advantage of my two snacks and sweet and enjoyed them thoroughly. My sweet ended up being a delicious chocolate cupcake at the school fair, and man was it SOO S-worthy :) ).

I feel good that I was teetering on that slippery slope today and for once didn't cave. :)
Kevin

gk

Post by gk » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:39 pm

Did well on my second S day - BIG accomplishment for me! Allowed my 2 snacks and 1 dessert (another cupcake) with dinner. No problems at all!

It feels so different this time. Now that I'm really trying to work on other issues of mine (that I'm sure interfered greatly with my dieting/exercising efforts before) has made all the difference. My outlook is bright instead of dreary....I'm not resenting my new healthy habits, I'm embracing them. I feel like all those times before there was a spill on the floor and I was just throwing a rug over it, trying to cover it up with something that looked and sounded good. This time, I'm doing a little extra hard work to actually clean up the mess first, and it's already starting to pay off. My mood is better, I have more energy and patience with the kids, and I don't feel so depressed. I wake up each day feeling like today is a gift and not one more day to get through.

This motivational book is working WONDERS for me. However, I'm sure the fact that I had pretty much hit rock bottom has something to do with it as well. No S is the perfect diet to compliment my other new habits that I'm attempting to build.

Every time I even start to feel like I'm wavering, slipping back into old habits, I read this book and bombard myself with Health/Exercise type magazines and I always feel better.

I'm also writing down all my goals, plans and steps to achieve my goals. Things I thought were kinda hoaky before, but they actually help!

I'm starting to notice things that happened during my first successful attempt with vanilla No S, too......I was kinda hungry before supper last night, so I made a fairly full plate. But once I started eating I suddenly lost my appetite (however I did manage to stuff down my chocolate treat :lol: ). So, I guess my appetite is moving in the right direction as well.

I have an upcoming trip that I have been dreading (10 days in an RV with 4 kids and 2 dogs :shock: ). I'm not normally what you would call a "happy camper"....give me a nice big hotel room and room service any day. But, I'm trying to focus on the good instead of the bad now, so even that doesn't seem so looming to me.

Looking forward to a week of nice, stress-free N days. I start my exercise routine today, and am actually excited about that (did I just really say that???) I'm starting slow, using a program (once again) in my new book (can ya tell I kinda like that thing?? :D ). I always get discouraged with exercise because of all the trouble I have with my hip, but I'll take it slow and listen to my symptoms more this time instead of getting impatient and doing more than I should. I'm starting with just some functional exercises, mostly stretching and some crunches, and only 10-15 minutes walking.

Off I go! :)

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:10 pm

I'm happy for you, gk.
Kevin

r.jean

Keep on keeping on

Post by r.jean » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:22 am

You are doing great. Hang in there and stick with it. It will be worth it!
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.

gk

Post by gk » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:19 am

Kevin and r.jean: Thanks for your posts! Always so nice to see those encouraging words when I check-in. :)

Today went so well! I stuck to the plan and get this-----I actually forgot about the diet and food all afternoon! I hit 4:00 and remembered about my optional snack. This is SO huge for me, as usually when I'm on a diet, it's a minute-by-minute deal for me. Always obsessed about when and what I will eat.

I felt okay, so PASSED on the snack :shock: . However, I did start to get hungry around 5:00. Decided to make supper a little early. Even though I was pretty hungry by then, I ate slowly and didn't eat an overly large plate. Still had my optional snack later on, but PASSED again as I felt I wasn't hungry enough to eat. (This is SO cool.)

I think I'm so consumed with my new outlook, new habits, and how I plan to change things around that I'm not nearly obsessed with food. I used to use food as a way to ignore or forget certain things or to handle certain situations. Now that I'm actually working on changing those situations, I don't feel the urge to eat all the time. LOVE IT.

I exercised during the day and really liked that time as well. Early in the morning has never been an option for me, and late at night always ends up being blown off (too tired). That being said, I think during the day is the only way I will stick with it. Felt kinda guilty, but just told myself it was okay, because I would just do the work I was missing out on then, later. So nice to go to bed knowing that I got my exercising in AND got to relax after the kids went to bed. I think this is gonna work.

I did end up aggravating my hip a bit, even took it slow, too. But, instead of getting discouraged I am determined to figure a way around it. Different exercises....more stretching....something will work. Just as long as I keep moving - that's the key.

Trying to stick to at least 7 hours of sleep a night, as much as possible anyway (have two sick kids in the house now). That is making a difference as well. I always used to stay up because I felt tired whether I slept extra or not. I figured I might as well have some "me time". But, I realize now that I still felt so sluggish WITH the extra sleep because of all the CRAP food I was eating and my depression.

Every day it's becoming more and more clear how my previous efforts were ambushed by all of my actions that didn't even have anything to do with eating or exercise. Fixing those is making the rest just fall into place. Gotta love it!

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:56 am

Today went so well! I stuck to the plan and get this-----I actually forgot about the diet and food all afternoon! I hit 4:00 and remembered about my optional snack. This is SO huge for me, as usually when I'm on a diet, it's a minute-by-minute deal for me. Always obsessed about when and what I will eat.
You are definitely settling in to a permanent way of eating.....

Isn't it nice to spend your time talking about how you feel and about your successes rather than writing down every last bite you eat or counting calories or points or whatever you used to track?[/quote]
Maintenance is progress.

gk

Post by gk » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:17 am

r.jean wrote:Isn't it nice to spend your time talking about how you feel and about your successes rather than writing down every last bite you eat or counting calories or points or whatever you used to track?
Yes, it definately is! :D

Another wonderful day to report. No problems at all. :)

I've figured out what I'm going to do for my exercise.....I did a warm-up using the suggestions I got from the general discussion board (thank you, thank you) and then tried yoga for the first time....a relaxing DVD meant for stretching and flexibility more than anything. Did wonders for my hip. SOOO...I think I will stick with that until after our trip to Texas (which would bring me to March 21st). Then I'll attempt low-impact workouts. I've never spent close to an hour stretching before, but evidently my body needed it because it felt great! Just another thing to bring me one step closer in the right direction.

I've also discovered that I've inadvertantly created a security blanket for myself....as long as I know I have an optional snack to take during the day I weirdly feel content. I don't get anxious at the end of a meal, thinking about how LONG it will be until the next one, because I know that I have my snack if I need it. So far this week I haven't. Geeez....I wish I woulda figured that out a couple months ago. :roll:

Can't wait to see how tomorrow goes. Life is good. 8)

moderatemeals

Post by moderatemeals » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:22 pm

Greta -
I decided to check in today and see how you are doing and I was so excited to read your thread. I am so happy to see you are having some good days!

I'm sending positive thoughts your way. And I am going to either buy or check out the Bob Green book you mentioned. It sounds great!

Keep up the great work!
Lisa

gk

Post by gk » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:48 am

Lisa: Hi! So good to hear from you! Hope all has been going well for you. I hope you enjoy the book as much as I did. Don't know if I just happened to read it at a time when I was really ready to make a change or what, but I am in such a different place right now it's unreal. Thanks for the note. Take care!

Today was a big milestone for me! I was able to pass on a treat out after the spelling bee, and ate good when I got home. (See my OMG moment on the general discussion board.)

I did another yoga DVD (actually ROKU) today and thoroughly enjoyed it. I've found if I do it right before lunch it helps to make the time pass if I'm feeling hungry and wanting to eat early, and it also helps me to eat better when I'm done. I feel like making better food choices and my hunger surprisingly decreases with the stretching.

My other goal is to try to get more sleep, so I guess I better stop happily babbling so I can get to bed. Later. 8)

gk

Post by gk » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:44 am

Another good day! (Man, I never get tired of typing that.) :)

I went grocery shopping today. I noticed since I'm incorporating more healthy foods for the kids as well as myself, the cart looks alot different. For one, it's not as mounded as it used to be.....all those boxes of packaged foods really took up space. I felt so good checking out, reviewing my choices. Nice not to have all the guilt.

I tried a yoga/pilates type roku choice today. I ended up stretching through most of it. My hip's just not ready for anything but deep stretching right now. So, I guess I will stick with the first one I tried until I can find some others that won't aggravate it. The up-side? I'm getting hooked on exercise only after four days. I almost didn't have time today, but made a point to sqeeze it in because I just didn't want to skip it. Usually, I'm looking for an excuse - any excuse - to get out of it. Different frame of mind for that as well this time around.

I must admit I do feel a little more hungry today, but I think it's because I've been having too many salads for lunch. I remember my first time around I did great and then all of a sudden it hit me and then I started bingeing. I think my problem was I ate too much diet-like food and wasn't getting the bulky food in as well. Although, this time I'm eating the salads for a different reason....because I'm actually craving them. Will have to incorporate some more filling lunches so I don't go down that same path again. (Good golly, am I actually learning from my mistakes? Who woulda thunk it.)

I feel good that I'm really listening to the "WHY's" this time around. For instance, I haven't eaten my optional snack yet, so I could "legally" have my snack right now. But I know that I'm not wanting food because I'm actually hungry right now....I'm wanting to eat because I feel tired and groggy and want the comfort of food. Big difference. Since that's the case, the snack is not allowed.

Ahhhhh....a sense of control - what a NEW concept for me!!!! :D

gk

Post by gk » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:20 pm

Yesterday was no problem at all, considering I finally came down with the flu my entire family has. (ISH. :( ) Ate like a bird all day as my appetite was next to nothing. However, I found it interesting that later in the day, after my nausea had passed and I was only left with a fever, that I wanted to reach for a piece of chocolate. I wasn't hungry in the least but I just wanted to have some....like a big ole' pacifier to make me feel better.

In these situations I've learned to ask myself, "WHY do you want this?". I've found that I can talk myself out of it if I really examine why I'm reaching for a treat and then find an alternative for that situation.

Here it is an S day. My fever is gone, but I still feel sluggish. Totally legal to reach for that piece of chocolate now, but I just don't really want it yet. So, I'll wait till I really want it before I have it. Trying to teach myself to be more conscious of what and why I'm eating. Seems to help me alot.

gk

Post by gk » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:32 am

So, I came to supper tonight, when I get my sweet for my S day. I planned on having a chocolate poptart (not the best treat, I know, but they looked good in the store for some reason).

I usually have a full package (two poptarts), even though the serving size is one.

GET THIS......I ate one and felt content and full. I usually would think to myself, "This is TREAT time, I'm eating it whether I'm hungry or not." Or..."this tastes good, I'm gonna eat it anyway".

BUT.....I calmly packaged up my other poptart to save for another time, thinking to myself that maybe the serving size should be enough for me from now on. And also thinking to myself that I've come to the point where "crappy chocolate" isn't good enough for S Days anymore. It was good, but I wasn't impressed as I usually am.

Another yay moment for me. :D

gk

Post by gk » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:37 am

So, I came to supper tonight, when I get my sweet for my S day. I planned on having a chocolate poptart (not the best treat, I know, but they looked good in the store for some reason).

I usually have a full package (two poptarts), even though the serving size is one.

GET THIS......I ate one and felt content and full. I usually would think to myself, "This is TREAT time, I'm eating it whether I'm hungry or not." Or..."this tastes good, I'm gonna eat it anyway".

BUT.....I calmly packaged up my other poptart to save for another time, thinking to myself that maybe the serving size should be enough for me from now on. And also thinking to myself that I've come to the point where "crappy chocolate" isn't good enough for S Days anymore. It was good, but I wasn't impressed as I usually am.

gk

Post by gk » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:38 am

gk

Post by gk » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:39 am

gk

Post by gk » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:11 am

My stomach has still been kinda off, so the snacking hasn't been an issue this weekend. However, towards the end of today I was feeling good enough that I had two servings of chocolate instead of my planned one. I'm not gonna beat myself up about it though. Coulda been alot worse, and it IS an S day, just starting out again, so won't get super strict on that yet.

It's funny, since I've started really focusing on why I want to binge instead of just feeling helpless about it and caving into it, I can just see it unfold right in front of my eyes.......

This afternoon I had a certain trigger that really gets me every time. (You may have noticed by now that I have quite a few of them. :oops: This one was about self-image.) Literally one minute after it happened, I was "hungry" and looking for something to eat. I made myself wait about an hour or so, but did eventually cave (hence the second dose of chocolate), because it was an S day. However, I was very aware that I wasn't eating out of hunger but for comfort. Really trying to work on that. Did alot better than in the past though, so I guess that's an improvement. I had a small serving after that trigger and then stopped. If that same thing happened a couple of weeks ago, I'd probably still be munching away.

I do find that if I focus on my week as every day being an N day, with a couple N days having an added treat here and there, I do alot better. Something about saying "it's an S day" makes me automatically think rules are off and I want to get a little wild.

Oh, the mind games I play. :roll: Whatever works! :)

Over43

Post by Over43 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:24 pm

Keep at it... 8)
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

gk

Post by gk » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:09 pm

Thanks Over43 :)

I've found it's harder to stay on track when my schedule is outta wack. Yesterday was one of those days....been trying to keep all four kids well, but one (or up to three) of them has been sick since last Monday with about 3 different bugs (UGH). Took one of them in to the doc today to find that strep throat is floating around our house, so I wonder how many more will get it.

Top that with me trying to pack for our trip to Texas on Thursday (family of 6 and 2 dogs in an RV for 10 days - God. HELP. me.), I'm feeling a little wired.

Anyway, I used my optional snack late last night. Something inside me said, "MAKE IT A SWEET", but resisted that evil little voice and had something healthy instead.

Still on track. Today will be better. :)

gk

Post by gk » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:06 pm

Yikes....I don't know what happened last night but all my good intentions flew out the window. Started with a "screw it" piece of chocolate and continued the rest of the night. I guess it could have been worse - I didn't full-out binge like I normally would have done - but definately not good!

I found myself saying, "Maybe I should just wait until after the vacation to be on this." But that's how it started last time....and then pretty soon I just couldn't get back on track. I need to learn how to stick to this whether I'm at home with a normal schedule or traveling to Texas in an RV (again....God.help.me. :lol: ).

SO....I will do the recommended "get back to it right away" thing and just keep trying. Although, I really am looking forward to a normal schedule again. It seems to make things so much easier for some reason.

We'll see how today goes.

gk

Post by gk » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:55 am

I'm back from vacation. Decided to let go and have fun, so no dieting while I was gone. Then extended it to this weekend due to a weekend away with the girls shortly after we got home from Texas.

As always, I've returned from a break with a new plan (kinda). I'll jump on board tomorrow with vanilla No-S with the exception of my one mod (my optional one snack per day.) That was working pretty good for a while there. However, I've decided to keep my weekends less strict. No rules or restrictions. If they're wild, so be it. Seems like alot of people who have followed No S for a long period of time say that it takes at least 6 months or so to become very solid on N Days before you should even think of restricting S days at all. Had binging problems with S days in the past, but I'm willing to give it another try. I'm in a better place right now, so maybe I'll handle it better. Heck, the way I've eaten the past 2 weeks makes wild S days look mild, so anything would be an improvement. :D

Now that my schedule is back to normal (as much as it can be), I'll get back into the yoga. Will try to stick to Monday through Friday, as much as my schedule will allow anyway. Also, the past couple of weeks I have been putting alot more energy into everything I do (housework, activities with kids, etc.), so that will help, too. Heck, I rode a bike while in Texas - first time since I was 15!! Time for me to get moving. I heard a saying a long time ago and I've tried to keep it fresh in my mind......"Live each day like it's your last.....because one day it will be". So true....so true. Life is too short. Need to remember to lighten up and have some fun. 8)

Also, decided to start counting days again. Thought maybe having a "goal prize" for every successful 21-day streak may add a little more incentive and fun to the program. Will have to think of what my first one will be.

Hoping to get my 7 hours of sleep and increase water intake as well.

Here I go again. :)

gk

Post by gk » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:32 am

Day 1: Success!

Off to a good start. :D
SW (as of 3/25/13): 172 lbs.
CW: 171 lbs.

r.jean

WELCOME BACK

Post by r.jean » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:46 am

Good to see you back!! Glad you let loose and enjoyed yourself. Good luck with your new exercise goals.
Last edited by r.jean on Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Maintenance is progress.

gk

Post by gk » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:59 pm

Thanks r.jean. Good to hear from you. :)

Day 2: Success

Amazing how up and down I can go with food. By the end of Day 2, I was already considering cheating. Whenever I have a cold, I like to have my pacifier (other people call it chocolate). But I resisted and just went to bed early.

On the bright side, I have stuck to yoga both days and got my water and 7 hours sleep in, so that's good.

Need to focus on my successful 21-day (non-food) treat to myself. Hmmm....what could that be....

gk

Post by gk » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:05 am

Day 3: Success

It's like a balloon has popped. I'm full of willpower and inspiration on Day 1 and by merely Day 3, my heart's just not in it. I honestly don't know what kept me on it today. Probably the fact that I don't need a belt with my jeans anymore. :oops: This was so much easier on my first time around, back in November. Why can't I get into this? Merely three days into it, and I've gone from excited and hyped up to dragging my feet and resenting it. :x

I am keeping up with exercise and keeping my day "moving", so that's good.

Hopefully, I'll snap out of this tomorrow. After all, I'm already halfway to an S Day. :)

gk

Post by gk » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:34 am

Day 4: Success

Better day today. Still eyed those golden chocolate Oreos, but kept my cravings in check. If I wait just one more day, I can have those Oreos (and maybe some dark chocolate) and enjoy them much more because I know I earned it.

Had to skip exercise due to lack of time, but will definately fit it in tomorrow.

gk

Post by gk » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:09 pm

As I was munching on my healthy lunch, I remembered that for a bit a while back I had tried tweaking my S Days to be from 5:00 Friday night to 5:00 Sunday night, and it had worked well. (Got the idea from the No S bulletin board.)

I seem to be ready to start my weekend on Friday nights and am ready to get in the swing of things again by Sunday night, so I might as well quit fighting it and follow a schedule that better fits me.

SOOO....that will be a second mod that I will implement. Oh, and I can't cheat and have an early supper on Sunday.....my supper has to be along the normal No S guidelines.

(Okay....I had to put that in black and white, so I wouldn't feel like I was cheating tonight when I changed my eating schedule........and thoroughly enjoyed my chocolate. :D )

Having no problems today so far....... :)

gk

Post by gk » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:25 am

Day 5: Success

Did good today. Even though I mostly was hanging on by a thread this week, I somehow magically pulled through this week with no fails. Many days were spent considering cheating almost the entire day, but I didn't. (Yay me.)

At the moment, I'm enjoying my late Friday night S chocolate. The things I chose to eat first for my S day didn't live up to my expectations, so that's good. Something to remember when I'm craving them next week. (Note the plural on "things". Yes, this probably will be a wild weekend, but give me a break.....I'm on week one here.)

This diet has a funny way of making you more selective with your treats. Suddenly an oreo or chocolate poptart become non-S worthy and "crap food". It's all good. Means I may be leaning more towards the 21-day success I had in November versus the slow falling out I had in January.

r.jean

gk

Post by r.jean » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:13 pm

gk wrote:As I was munching on my healthy lunch, I remembered that for a bit a while back I had tried tweaking my S Days to be from 5:00 Friday night to 5:00 Sunday night, and it had worked well. (Got the idea from the No S bulletin board.)
This is a tempting idea. However, I am somewhat afraid to try it because Friday nights might become my downfall. I have the hardest time restraining myself on Friday night. Last night I stopped by the store and I so wanted some corn chips and salsa even though I had just eaten supper. I was so afraid I would go hog wild on them right when I got home that I left the store with just the one thing I needed and went back today for my chips and salsa to eat on the weekend.

Let us know how this works for you. :mrgreen:
Last edited by r.jean on Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maintenance is progress.

gk

Post by gk » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:29 pm

r.jean: Yeah, Friday nights tend to be a high-binge alert for me, but I'm hoping things will even out. Right now it's just shifting my binge time a few hours....still gonna do it....just do it at a different time. And for now, I'm gonna say that's okay. One step at a time. :D

Saturday - S Day

In a word------- W I L D

It's like I tried to cover every possible craving I've had all week. Even though it was wild, I had no guilt. I know I'll get back on the horse on Monday, and I know my weekends will gradually tame down. Thinking more "slow but steady" this time vs. trying to lose weight quickly.

gk

Post by gk » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:00 pm

S Day - Sunday

In my true S day fashion, I ate chocolate up until the clock struck 5:00. But instead of feeling low because I have to wait 7 more days until my next treat, I feel uplifted. The unexpected warm weather (79!) felt great and reminded me that summer is right around the corner. Amazing how getting away from the gray skies of winter and breathing in the sweet spring air can make a difference in one's mood.

This summer I want to be in better shape and more active. If I lose my goal of 10-15 lbs., my weight level will be good, but I'd still be terribly out of shape. (I used to tell my kids that if you see Mom running, that means there's a fire somewhere :lol: .) So, I'd like to change that. I need to remind myself that eating right, drinking lots of water and exercising will dramatically help. As I look at my calendar quickly fill up, part of me thinks that exercise will be the first thing to go when I'm trying to keep up with everything. But this time I will go about it in a different way and block out time to exercise. I will think of it as important as taking the time to feed and bathe the kids. There always has to be a way to squeeze it in there, some way or another!

Here's to another week of No S-ing. Good luck to all out there! :)