Melissa's Daily Check-In

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

embee

Melissa's Daily Check-In

Post by embee » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:02 pm

I did No-S two years ago and failed just shy of 21 days. I thought I would jump right back on the wagon but for some reason, I didn't. I would have been shocked to know it would be two years and ten more pounds before starting it again. I love the No-S habit. But instead I've cultivated an attitude of procrastination and laziness and now I know I've got to make a change.

This morning my husband snapped and he said, "If you can't take care of yourself at 23 years old then you have a big freaking problem." It hurt but I know he's right. I feel defeated and ashamed.

So today I'm starting over. Breakfast down, two meals to go. Wish me luck.

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:26 pm

Good luck. You can do it.

Just make sure your husband doesn't take credit for this. :o
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

r.jean

Stick with it!

Post by r.jean » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:51 am

Best of luck. Do it for yourself, not anyone else.
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.

embee

Post by embee » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:30 pm

Weight: 130.6

Thank you everyone! I appreciate the encouragement. My husband gives me a kick in the butt when I need one, but I never give him credit. :) I feel much better today, not so discouraged. We have a long drive today so it will be tough not to snack when bored, but my husband is dieting and he only wants vegetables, so I will have him as an example.

Yesterday was a success. I won't be able to post for a few days because of a trip but I will be keeping track and will post when I get back.

Breakfast: banana and peanut butter, coffee
Lunch: Bowl of vegetable barley soup
Dinner: Bowl of soup.
Exercise: 1/2 hour jog, heavy yard work

Thanks again, Kevin and r.jean!

embee

Post by embee » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:42 pm

Well I'm back. A few days of traveling on the road equaled a lot of failure in my NO-S attempts. Driving late into the night often means that we don't stop for meals and instead pack veggies and nuts and fruit and eat when we're hungry. Sometimes that is 3 AM and you're eating sunflower seeds to help stay awake., so you just never know.

Friday: Failure - But this day was still good. I ate breakfast and lunch and then snacked on a few healthy things through the evening. I know my calorie intake was good but I didn't stick to 3 meals, hence a failure.
Saturday: S day.
Sunday: S day.
Monday: Failure - Was starting out well. We were supposed to have a few more days of vacation, but I planned to stick to NO-S, and I ate well for breakfast and lunch. Then a conglomeration of disasters happened which meant my husband and I had to drive home through the night, two days early, so he could be to work this AM. We had nothing for dinner but a few bags of candy and granola bars my sweet grandma threw together for us as we were rushing out of the house. So we ate those sporadically through the night to help us stay awake.

I know none of these days were successful but there were plenty of times I had the opportunity to really pig out on junk and I didn't. We also were fairly active, AND we were on vacation. So I am moving forward and I don't feel too bad about it.

Plus, today should be fine now that we have a proper bedtime and we are home. : ) Breakfast has been a granola bar and some coffee.