Let's do this! 21 days!

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

sipalittletea

Let's do this! 21 days!

Post by sipalittletea » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:55 pm

So I started doing this last Wednesday. I think I should start right there.

Day 1: FAILURE I had brought a cookie for lunch and THEN decided to do this. I ate the cookie anyway. Restart!

Day B1: SUCCESS Funny stuff: totally had two sandwiches at dinner, one of which went to my plate after the first. But I had meant to eat two. Does that count? Probably not. But I'm giving myself a break on my first day. No Sweets is hard.

Day B2: SUCCESS

Day B3: S day Thank goodness. I think I ate one too many rice-krispie treats

Day B4: S day

Day B5: SUCCESS Oh my did I want seconds though.

Day B6: SUCCESS. I made a concerted effort not to finish my daughter's meal.

And we're up to date! So far I've only had one meal because my daughter took my wallet out of my purse and I forgot to bring a lunch to work. What is the protocol on that? Do I get an evening snack? Or should I just power through?[/code]
Started March 2, 2011: 150 lbs.
Goal weight: 125 lbs.

r.jean

Welcome

Post by r.jean » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:35 am

Welcome and best of luck. It sounds like you have a fun attitude which will help you as you go along. Following the rules is important but bending them a little is sometimes necessary.
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.

sipalittletea

Day 1 again

Post by sipalittletea » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:17 pm

Weigh in today: 148 lbs. (-2) woo! Let's see if it lasts.

OK, so although I'm not really sure about how yesterday goes, I think to do this right the first 21 days I can't call yesterday a success.

Day 7: FAILURE. As I said yesterday, my daughter took my wallet so I had no lunch. A co-worker let me eat his 50 calorie yogurt at lunch time. I ate Chinese food for dinner, and didn't plate it, so I think I ate a larger serving than I should have. And then justified a small bowl of cereal in the evening as my "third" meal.

There are different ways to see this, but when it comes down to it, I ate 4X yesterday and that is against my rules. Although 2 of those were very small and 1 was very large, I still think I can't just allow myself to let that slide or I'll let other things slide. Besides, I feel guilty about the amount I ate at dinner and that really doesn't help.

So, we start again today.
Started March 2, 2011: 150 lbs.
Goal weight: 125 lbs.

sipalittletea

Day 2

Post by sipalittletea » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:04 pm

Day 2: Success

Nothing weird to report. I did eat the last couple scallops out of the pasta because they would go bad otherwise, but scallops are negative calories (not really but really low) so I am letting this one slide.

sipalittletea

Weekend update

Post by sipalittletea » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:17 pm

so Friday was Day 3: I am ending my no-S weeks on Friday before dinner and starting them up again on Sunday before dinner.

Day 3: Success. I did gorge myself on homemade frites and mussels, but it was after my changeover, and therefore S.
Day 4: S-day. I ran, too. I'm concerned though on my eating on those days and how much I seem to eat on S-days.
Day 5: S-day until dinner, which went fine. Just ate dinner and had a cup of (unsweetened) tea after.

I feel pretty good about the weekend. :)

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:28 pm

Hi,

Just wanted to welcome you to the boards and wish you luck on the journey we are all traveling together.

I am certainly no expert (although I should be as I have lost the same twenty pounds over and over and over for the past 30 years) but I will tell you to just relax, enjoy some good healthy foods and exercise when you can. Don't overthink it as it is just common sense and becomes second nature. :wink:
Berry

sipalittletea

Day 6

Post by sipalittletea » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:39 pm

Day 6 was weird. I made it an S-day.

There are good reasons for this. I was celebrating. Something awesome. With pie. And I don't feel bad about it. Back on the wagon today, but I'm not taking a hit for this one. :):):):):):)

sipalittletea

Post by sipalittletea » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:41 pm

Thanks so much for the support! I am hoping this will help me just be healthier in general. I'm finding it a lot easier than I thought. I think knowing that I can have some "off-days" on the weekend really help me stay on track the rest of the week. Its great I'm running again, too!

Thanks again!
Strawberry Roan wrote:Hi,

Just wanted to welcome you to the boards and wish you luck on the journey we are all traveling together.

I am certainly no expert (although I should be as I have lost the same twenty pounds over and over and over for the past 30 years) but I will tell you to just relax, enjoy some good healthy foods and exercise when you can. Don't overthink it as it is just common sense and becomes second nature. :wink:

sipalittletea

Day 7

Post by sipalittletea » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:56 am

I can't excuse pie two days in a row.

Day7: Failure.

Try again starting today!

Weigh-in today at 149.

sipalittletea

Day 1 again!

Post by sipalittletea » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:07 pm

Day : Success!

Nothing to report. Though I had a hard time not eating popcorn last night when my husband was.

:)

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:20 pm

Ooo, someone eating popcorn in front of you, that's getting out the big guns. Even just the smell in the house is enough to drive me to the edge. Good for you not caving in!!
-Sonya
No Sweets, No Snacks and No Seconds, Except (Sometimes) on days that start with "S".

sipalittletea

Day 2

Post by sipalittletea » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:50 am

@osoniye

Seriously, I almost did. But I kept sipping my tea and tried desperately to ignore him.

Day 2: Success

Yesterday went without a hitch. I didn't like the dinner I made so I ate something else later. I had only had a bite of dinner, and the meal I had later was small so I'm letting it go.

I think its time to come clean that right now I am NOT looking to lose weight. When I started this, I totally was. But now I'm just doing it to be healthy. I'm pregnant!!!!!!!!!!! :):):):):):):):) Hence the pie.

sarah.grace

Post by sarah.grace » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:06 pm

Congratulations! How exciting for you!
I think it's fantastic that you're looking to be healthy during your pregnancy, and not using it as an excuse to eat whatever you 'crave,' whenever you want it. Good for you! :) You'll have to keep us updated- when are you due?
(I'm not trying to be nosy- just curious!)

sipalittletea

Weekend update 3/18-3/20

Post by sipalittletea » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:54 pm

Happy Spring!!

@sarah.grace- Thanks so much! I'm due November 20. I know I should be filling up with nutritious stuff and not crap for the baby, so I think this is great still! Its tough sometimes, though, because although I haven't had a lot of cravings or morning sickness, sometimes I have no appetite at mealtimes and am ravenous later. I will figure out a balance between No S and pregnancy though!

That said, I'm starting at Day one again today. Boo.

Here's the update:
Day 3: Success
Day 4: S day
Day 5: S day, but after dinner I had dessert, which I am not supposed to do on Sundays, so Failure.

Soooo back to square one. Again. This is keeping me honest and on top of things, but I'm getting a little discouraged by my failures. Time to buck up the willpower!

sipalittletea

O-KAY.

Post by sipalittletea » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:13 pm

Day 1: Success, with reservations.

I think with being pregnant I may need to allow myself some leeway. After dinner last night I was still hungry. Not just wanting to snack, HUNGRY. Having a little baby in me makes me reluctant to stop myself from eating when I feel that hungry. I don't want to be unhealthy, either. So I am adding a rule for myself.

I can eat a snack after dinner on No S days, IF AND ONLY IF it is healthy-fruit, veggies, etc. My body (and baby) is telling me something, but I still think I need to keep it healthy. NO SWEETS. And NO SNACK FOOD. Last night I had a little bread and cheese. Healthy, but not fruit healthy. I think this will make me feel less bad for being starving after dinner. So I am allowing myself a success for yesterday so that I have a good foundation to possibly actually make it through this 21 days (sheeesh) but I am going to allow myself that caveat. HOWEVER, If I am not hungry, I should not et that snack. Period. Only baby cravings count here.

sipalittletea

Day 2!

Post by sipalittletea » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:15 pm

Day 2: Success. Ate a late dinner instead of a snack. All was well.

sipalittletea

Day 3

Post by sipalittletea » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:06 pm

Day 3: Success. Great day. I twice resisted seconds, but didn't go to bed hungry. :)

bettyB

Post by bettyB » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:58 pm

well done on your success so far, and congrats on your pregnancy!!!

sipalittletea

gooood week so far!

Post by sipalittletea » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:06 pm

Made it to Friday! Weekend is easy, so this is great!

Day 4: Success! This is starting to get easier.

sipalittletea

weekend update

Post by sipalittletea » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:26 pm

Day 5: Friday, great! Success!
Day 6: S-day
Day 7: S-day
Day 8: Success!

sipalittletea

Nine days! Awesome

Post by sipalittletea » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:36 pm

This is starting to get so simple. I am glad I allowed myself to snack a little, being pregnant, but I am sticking to the fruits and veggies rule. I had some grapes last night.

Day 9: Success!

Its so easy to stick to this now though! I still wait for the weekend though.

sipalittletea

Day 10!

Post by sipalittletea » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:35 pm

Halfway there!

Day 10: success!

It helps that right now all I'm craving are fruits, veggies, and dairy. Mmm.