Millie daily check in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

milliem

Millie daily check in

Post by milliem » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:22 pm

Hi all!

So I've decided to give this No-S diet a try! I HATE dieting because i hate cutting things out, so this seems like a sensible plan for me.

Today so far I've done pretty well, a bagel with peanut butter for breakfast, and a bagel/yoghurt/apple for lunch. I tend to eat a bunch of small things together for work lunches but eyeing them up they'd all fit on a plate together so I figure thats ok....

I don't normally eat breakfast so I'll have to figure out how to manage this - either force myself to eat something for breakfast/brunch every day, or have my third meal late afternoon and my 'dinner' late?

I'm pretty hungry now though so trying to hold off on having dinner for as long as I can so I'm not tempted to snack later.

milliem

Post by milliem » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:19 pm

Day 1:

Success!

Breakfast: peanut butter bagel
Lunch: bagel with cream cheese, low fat yoghurt and apple
Dinner: bowl of sweet potato and chorizo stew

No snacks or sweets or second helpings - although I really struggled! I felt REALLY hungry after dinner (which I had about 6pm). Four looong hours. I sipped a lot of sugar-free squash in the evening...

I think I even dreamed of the noSdiet!

milliem

Post by milliem » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:08 am

Day 2:

Success

Breakfast: pot of mixed fruit and low fat yoghurt
Lunch: bacon and cheese panini and an apple
Dinner: tortellini

I also had a glass of ginger beer at a friend's house in the evening, but resisted many cookies and muffins in work!

Still found the no-snacking quite difficult, particularly after dinner. I had a MASSIVE bowl of tortellini - used a whole package rather than the half that I would normally, and ate the whole lot!! It filled me up for quite a while, I think a lot of the snack cravings are from habit and loss of sugar rather than a need to eat.

Still pondering what to do about breakfast, I have eaten it for the past two days but it tends to be a pretty small meal (nowhere near a 'plate' full).

milliem

Post by milliem » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:19 pm

Day 3:

Breakfast: none
Lunch: bagel, beetroot salad and 2 mini scotch eggs
Dinner (planned): tortellini with tomato pasta sauce

I didn't manage to pick up anything for breakfast so I'm looking at 2 main meals today - not sure how it'll go for the rest of the evening! I was planning on having a small meal late afternoon and then a late dinner, but I'm going to a gig this evening and won't be back til 11ish which will be too late for a proper meal.

milliem

Post by milliem » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:39 pm

Ok so Day 3 was a SUCCESS :)

Dinner went as planned - although after a full plate of pasta on Tuesday, when I added some tomato and basil pasta sauce to it yesterday I felt absolutely stuffed about 5 minutes later - almost uncomfortably so. I think I'm still learning portion size in terms of what is enough for me to feel full and not hungry a couple of hours later....

I even managed to resist finishing off a plate of chips when I met my family later in the evening at the pub!

It's actually been easier than i expected to resist the temptation to snack and eat sweet stuff, although I don't think I'm eating particularly 'healthily' overall.

milliem

Post by milliem » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:47 pm

Day 4: success

Breakfast: apple juice and some bbq flavoured chicken pieces (sounds an odd breakfast but the chicken went down pretty well at 8.30am!)

Lunch: prawn salad and bagel (could have done with maybe half a bagel, I didn't finish the whole one)

Dinner: large bowl of potato, chorizo, onion and tomato stew

Also had a couple of small glasses of pepsi max

I still think I'm eating too large portions for lunch and dinner but I'm working on it :) At the moment I'm concentrating on getting enough satisfaction from three meals a day not to be tempted to snack or go for the sweet things. I'll be taking a tip from Noel and changing my bowl size for main meals next week....

One more day til the weekend, woop!

milliem

Post by milliem » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:31 pm

Day 5: Success!

Lunch: panini,, split and spread with low fat red pepper hummus, apple, low fat yoghurt
Dinner: half a quesadilla and some home made sweet potato fries

Also 2 glasses of wine and a pepsi max.

Resisted the 'Friday afternoon treat' in work- maltesers and revels were taunting me! Reeaaally looking forward to having S days, mainly to have a sweet treat!

cricketbird

Post by cricketbird » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:06 pm

Great job! My week wasn't a success at all, but I'm hoping I can have a stellar week like you did next week!

I agree - this does seem like the most reasonable, common-sense diet around. Now, if I can just muster the willpower to make it work!

Cheers,
CB

milliem

Post by milliem » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:28 am

Thanks cricket! I'm pretty chuffed that I managed to stick to the three 'no S-es' this week :) I'm sure you'll have a good'un next week - it is simple and reasonable but not always easy! Good luck :)

milliem

Post by milliem » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:42 pm

Day 6: S day

I haven't gone TOO overboard today...i think... :)

Lunch: prawn roll and custard slice
Dinner: baked sweet potato

Plus two chocolate milkshakes....

No plans for snacking this evening but we'll see!

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:45 pm

Hey well done on a very successful no S week. Sounds like you're doing GREAT@@@!!! :lol: :D :wink:
No S-er since December 2009
Streamlined S Days: 6/25/12
SW: 170 /CW: 127
Weight loss to date: 43 lbs

milliem

Post by milliem » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:39 am

NoSRocks wrote:Hey well done on a very successful no S week. Sounds like you're doing GREAT@@@!!! :lol: :D :wink:
Thanks for the support!

I managed to fit in a bit more snacking yesterday :lol: :roll: A bit of beef jerky after dinner, and some salt and vinegar rice crackers before bed... neither particularly fatty or calorific, but neither really needed either! Oh well, not gonna beat myself up about snacking on an S day ;)

milliem

Post by milliem » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:18 pm

Day 7: another S day

Breakfast: None
Lunch: half an onion and ham quesadilla
Snacks: a bounty (mmm chocolate...) and a few pieces of jerky
Dinner: another quesadilla! this time a whole one - pepper, onion, ham and mushroom.

It's funny but eating at random times today and snacking a bit seems to make me more hungry than just eating three (or sometimes two) meals a day! I haven't gone totally overboard on the S's this weekend although I have enjoyed getting some sweet stuff in :) Not sure how I feel about 5 whole days without sweet goodies stretching ahead of me!

milliem

Post by milliem » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:06 pm

Day 8:

Breakfast: yoghurt and apple juice
Lunch: wholemeal pita bread with hummus and chicken
Dinner: (will be) teriyaki chicken and prawn rice

I'm eating with my OH later and he doesn't finish work til 7, so I have to wait til 8pm argh! Thinking how I'm going to manage til then.... maybe a glass of milk and some exercise to pass the time :)

Felt quite tempted today when I was in an empty office with a large bag of minstrels... but thought I'd only be cheating myself if I indulged!

milliem

Post by milliem » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:43 pm

I'm going to count yesterday as a success,...

Although I'm in a bit of two minds as I think I cheated a little! I was starving at around half 4 and gearing up for exercise, so I had a glassful of skimmed milk and a teaspoon of peanut butter. A bite rather than a snack (didn't even have to chew!) but I could probably have done without. Oh well it's better than an entire peanut butter sandwich (or two!) which would have been a previous 'pre meal snack'!

Other than that I had the planned teriyaki rice. A HEAPED plateful, but I ate about half and saved the rest for today's dinner :)

milliem

Post by milliem » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:12 pm

Day 9: Success

Breakfast: apple juice
Lunch: chicken, mozzarella and pesto panini, yoghurt
Dinner: leftover rice from yesterday with mushrooms and red/yellow peppers.

I tried using a much smaller bowl for my dinner today - almost the size of a breakfast bowl but a bit 'taller'. I filled it to the brim with my rice and veggies :lol: But, it was almost all veg rather than anything else and frankly I think if I'd eaten less I'd be starved already!

Might have a glass of skimmed milk later to tide me over to bedtime.

milliem

Post by milliem » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:02 pm

Day 10: success

Breakfast: porridge with dried fruit and honey
Lunch: pita bread with hummus and chicken, strawberry yoghurt
Dinner: pepper and mushroom quesadilla

Also had a small can of soda (cherry vimto, yum!)

I noticed that I definitely didn't feel hungry until lunchtime after eating a VERY early breakfast for me - 7.30am! Plus, i wasn't starving and desperate for tea by the time I got home. Maybe me just getting used to the routine, maybe I overate at lunch, maybe the effects of a good breakfast? Who knows! I wasn't very impressed with my breakfast though, don't think the porridge had enough milk in it so it was kinda.... solid. Practice makes perfect eh.

I'm finding that keeping track of my meals just after dinner helps me keep motivated, as I don't want to have to go back and change a 'success' to a 'failure'!

milliem

Post by milliem » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:07 pm

Day 11: Success

breakfast: apple juice and 'eat natural' bar
lunch: coronation chicken sandwich and dried fruit, orange juice
dinner: chicken katsu curry, wotsits

Think I didn't really need the wotsits on reflection but it was still only one plates-worth. I had to do a LOT of resisting temptation today - on a training course all day and had frequent breaks where everyone was grabbing crisps and chocolates to snack on! Managed to stick to fruit juices to sip on and fruit rather than chocolates with lunch.

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:29 pm

Can you describe wotsits? I have no idea what that is and am now curious?

By the way, GREAT job yesterday. It's so hard to stay on course when in an environment like that.

Julie

milliem

Post by milliem » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:32 pm

Hehe, wotsits are like... cheetos? I think? Cheese flavoured corn snacks I think! The 'baked not fried' on the packet is my excuse for indulging :s

And thanks! I have another day of training tomorrow so I shall try and stay strong, although Fridays seem tougher. I just FEEL like after a long week in work I 'deserve' a treat. How ridiculous.

Maybe once I've got the Vanilla NoS down I'll mod my S days to run from Friday evening to Sunday lunchtime...

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:12 pm

Ahh, got it. Thanks. :)

milliem

Post by milliem » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:42 pm

Day 12: Success

Breakfast: apple
Lunch: bbq chicken baguette, orange juice
Dinner: toulouse sausage, skinny fries, salad and fried onions

Today was a tough one! Had to fend off snacking ALL throughout the day as another day of training - it is much harder to watch other people snack (especially on sweet stuff) than to just avoid it yourself.

Then went out with OH for dinner (we both avoided dessert so that was OK) and then to the cinema. I was extremely close to giving in and getting something to munch on, or 'deciding' that my S day was going to start tonight but somehow managed to stay No S! No idea how... I even resisted OH's offer of a dip into his bag of toffee popcorn.

Phew, looking forward to the weekend that's for sure...

milliem

Post by milliem » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:08 pm

Day 13: S day

And quite an S day :oops:

Started off OK, didn't have any breakfast, bought some tasty chicken goujons and a big pile of green veg for lunch which was yummy.

Also bought a small bag of thorntons chocolates for £1 while I was buying my paper, as a 'treat'. Ate 4 chocolates after dinner, and haven't really stopped eating since!! Munched on blondies I baked for mothers day tomorrow, and about 3 plums - even though I was feeling full! Doh. It's strange how I really noticed that I was eating while still full, wouldn't have batted an eyelid at this before.

Not holding out much hope for tomorrow either, we have a BIG sunday dinner planned for mothers day (and of course the blondies!)

I'm going to try and hold off eating anything for the rest of the day until I notice that I'm actually hungry.

milliem

Post by milliem » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:34 am

Day 14: S day

Another overboard S day! Much worse than last week, although we had the 'occasion' of mothers day so I wasn't eating alone or choosing my own eating times/meals. Technically I only had one meal today but it was a massive one plus a few too many servings of dessert!!

Looking forward to getting back into N days this week and eating more sensibly :)

milliem

Post by milliem » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:49 pm

Day 15: Failure!

Bah my first red day! I was doing ok today as well:

Breakfast: blueberries and apple juice
Lunch: 1 and a half pita breads with hummus, half an apple (got full so stopped eating)
Dinner: chimmichanga and corn on the cob

But I noticed one solitary chocolate left over from the weekend, and ate it :( I'm not going to turn this into an excuse to carry on eating this evening, but I'm not going to ignore it either.
Last edited by milliem on Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:54 pm

Bad luck on your red day but well done for not ruining the rest of the day. You've been doing really well and I'm sure you will pick yourself up and 'mark it and move on'. Good luck tomorrow :)

milliem

Post by milliem » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:41 pm

idon'tknow wrote:Bad luck on your red day but well done for not ruining the rest of the day. You've been doing really well and I'm sure you will pick yourself up and 'mark it and move on'. Good luck tomorrow :)
Thanks IDK, seeing that red day on habitcal was rubbish! But it's ok, new day tomorrow and all that :) And I haven't had anything else to eat since, so at least I only broke one of the 'S' rules today and didn't give in to snacking or seconds.

I'm pretty sure I have NO bad foods left in the house to tempt me either - it's definitely safer that way....

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:53 pm

thanks for visiting my check in page!!!!
Dont worry about your bad day....you did great before that and from my own expierience beating myself up over it just causes it to make it worse. On sunday I was so upset becuase of some chocolate cookies I ate (or biscuits as you would likely say) and ended up just making it worse I ate junk for five hours straight. Lesson was I can make this worse than it is or move on.
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139
Willingness without action is fantasy

milliem

Post by milliem » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:04 pm

Tuesday 5th April: Success

Lunch: chicken and mozzarella panini,yoghurt
Dinner: Carvery

Pleased that I had another success today! I did have rather a large plateful of food for dinner, but most of it was veggies :)

You are very right snapdragon, its much better to mark and move on than use any failure as an excuse to go crazy!!

milliem

Post by milliem » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:17 pm

Wednesday 6th April: Success

Lunch: chicken and mozzarella panini, pineapple, yoghurt
Dinner: avocado, bacon and egg salad

It's early yet but I am VERY full after my ginormous salad so I'm hoping I won't have any temptations :) I do have some sugar free cream soda to sip on later if I fancy it though.

milliem

Post by milliem » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:37 pm

Thursday 7th April: Success

Breakfast: english muffin with peanut butter
Lunch: bacon and avocado salad
Dinner: Fishcakes, potatos and sugarsnap peas

Struggling with hunger today - I think its because I've been working at home this afternoon which hasn't been as 'busy' as a normal work day. Boredom = hunger/appetite I suppose. Or maybe just the expectation that I'll fill my time with food. Eh.

Despite my internal argument about whether to snack or eat something horribly sweet and sticky I've managed to stay away, hooray! Only one more day til S days....

milliem

Post by milliem » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:02 am

Friday 8th April: Success

Lunch: avocado and bacon salad, yoghurt
Dinner: chinese food

Feeling really dodgy yesterday so I just wanted comfort food in the evening! Stuck to one plate though, just about. Hoping I'm not going to be sick this weekend, I hate the thought of wasting S days when I can't enjoy them!!

ellgee

Post by ellgee » Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:04 pm

I hear you! I've been fighting sickness all week and it's all settled in my chest. If my head gets more congested I won't be able to taste anything. Not fair on S day!
Laura

milliem

Post by milliem » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:13 am

Aw poor you Laura :( I'm not sure whats going on with my body, it doesn't feel quite right but hasn't turned into anything major yet!!

Saturday 9th April: S day

Breakfast: yoghurt
Snack: chocolate milkshake
Lunch: None (stole a few chips from OHs plate but stomach was feeling sore)
Dinner: BBQ food (a piece of pork, burger with blue cheese dressing - no bun, one pork rib, small plate of salad, 1/2 pita bread with dips, few olives)
Dessert: strawberries and cream, a couple of small pieces of baklava and 4 marshmallows toasted on the BBQ!

Not TOO bingy for an S day I suppose although my one large meal of the day was pretty large :) This seems to be a pattern for S days,

milliem

Post by milliem » Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:48 pm

Sunday 10th April: S day

Lunch: beef and salami roll, snack sized pork pie, handful of strawberries
Snack: butterscotch frappe and chocolate bar

Ugh turned into a fairly wild one...finished off the day with another bunch of baklava and some malt loaf, not exactly the healthiest of dinners! I need to work out how to not go quite so crazy on the sweet stuff on s days,i guess I'm missing it during the week.

milliem

Post by milliem » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:30 pm

Monday 11th April: Success

Breakfast: 4 slices malt loaf
Lunch: salami roll, large handful strawberries, yoghurt
Dinner: 2 sausages and 1/2 oven baked sweet potato

milliem

Post by milliem » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:32 pm

Tuesday 12th April: Success

Breakfast: None
Lunch: small salami and beef roll, yoghurt, half an apple
Dinner: 1/2 sausage and red pepper quesadilla, salad

I'm going to the cinema later so must try and keep away from the sweets and snacks that I KNOW I'm going to want! Going to have dinner before we go so hopefully I'll be nice and full.

I managed to resist temptation - somehow! Was very tempted to get some pick and mix, or ben and jerry's but I ended up not even getting a drink - just had a few sips of OHs slushie.
Last edited by milliem on Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:33 pm

My tip for cinema - take a nice coffee in with you. It gives you the feeling of 'I'm at the cinema, I should buy something nice' but doesn't break the rules. Don't make it too large, though, or you'll have to nip out half way through!
Enjoy the film :D

milliem

Post by milliem » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:14 am

One thing that keeps me away from cinema food/drink is the ridiculous price!!

Wednesday 13th April: Success

Lunch: salami and hummus roll, yoghurt
Dinner: chicken, pepper and onion fajitas and a few home made sweet potato chips

I'm still not eating breakfast regularly, but 2 meals a day isn't leaving me particularly hungry. That being said, my dinner portions are often rather large. For example last night I made two fajitas (each one containing 1/2 a chicken breast, 1/4 pepper and 1/2 onion) and ate them both. Not such a large meal if I think about the ingredients, but I was actually quite full after the first fajita.

I tend to get full quite quickly but then hungry again soon after so I think I'm worried that if I don't eat a large evening meal (I tend to eat between 6 and 7pm) I'll get really hungry later on and end up snacking.

milliem

Post by milliem » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:44 pm

Thursday 14th April: Success

Breakfast: muesli with skimmed milk
Lunch: salami and hummus roll
Dinner: tuna melt (tuna and cheese grilled onto two halves of a small brown roll)

Kinda lame eating today, and was working from home so was hungrier than I think I would normally be when I'm in work. Managed to stave off hunger by keeping really busy in the afternoon/evening though.

milliem

Post by milliem » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:22 pm

Friday 15th April: Success

Lunch: hummus roll, yoghurt
Dinner: ham, egg and chips

Also had 2 vodka and cranberry juice and a beer while out with friends (not following the glass ceiling fortunately!)

Despite the boozing I've managed to stay NoS today - partially helped by the fact that my kitchen is in the process of being redone, so I don't really have any food in.... Starting to get a wee bit hungry though so I'll probably have to go do bed soon!

milliem

Post by milliem » Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:59 pm

Saturday 16th April: S day

Breakfast: muesli
Snack: Bounty and can of Vimto
Lunch: bacon and cheese pastry twist, milkshake
Dinner: chicken and asparagus pie, smashed carrots, minty lettuce and peas
Dessert: slice of pear and almond tart

I'm pleased I managed to stick to one plateful of dinner and one slice of the tart :)

The next couple of weeks are going to be tough going. My kitchen is being redone so all we have is a microwave, toaster and kettle (no work surface space). Also have a leaving do on Wednesday, my little sisters birthday on Thursday and Easter bank holidays!

I'm going to try and keep next wednesday and thursday evenings as 'S events' but NOT as full NWS days. Easter will be kept to the Sunday for treats. We'll see how it goes....

milliem

Post by milliem » Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:05 pm

Sunday 17th April: S day

Lunch: prawn kebabs, burger and chips (ate about half before I was full, left the rest)
Snack: 2 mini caramel shortcakes
Dinner: leftover chicken pie, peas and carrots from yesterday
Dessert: slice of pear tart
Last edited by milliem on Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:32 am

Scotch eggs? Carvery?

I'm learning a lot from your check in notes!

milliem

Post by milliem » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:08 pm

Hehe, British eating is quite different I think :)

Scotch eggs are eggs wrapped in sausage meat and then breadcrumbs....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotch_egg

A carvery is a roast dinner served at a restaurant - buffet style
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carvery

Scotch eggs - not very healthy!

Carvery - not too bad if you limit your portion of meat and stock up your plate on vegetables with some good nutrients and less fat/oil in them rather than roast potatoes or roast parsnips :)

milliem

Post by milliem » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:49 pm

Monday 18th April: Success

Lunch: wholemeal pita bread with lemon and coriander hummus
Dinner: butter chicken and naan bread

I was going to have 2 oranges with lunch but they turned out to be all dry and gross so I just had one pita bread - was really hungry by about 3pm!! Very unsatisfying... I managed to resist snacking though, one day of being hungry isn't going to kill me. May have a glass of skimmed milk later if I get really hungry again.

Feeling a bit demoralised as although I've lost a few pounds (~1kg) in the first week I keep swinging between 80-81kg and never really going any lower, despite doing this for 4 weeks now. The habits of eating less sugar and not snacking are definitely good, but part of me wonders
what's the point if it's not going to impact on my weight. Then again I'm not GAINING anything which is good.

milliem

Post by milliem » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:18 am

Tuesday 19th april: success

Lunch: pita bread with humus and yoghurt
Dinner: plate of chinese food: boiled rice, half a spring roll, crispy chilli beef

milliem

Post by milliem » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:05 pm

I think I'm going to also track exercise - I've become a bit more sedentary in recent weeks as I've been working in a place that I need to commute to by car rather than my usual place of work that I can walk to.

I don't have any specific goals for exercise at the moment, but it would be useful for me to track how much I'm actually getting.

Wednesday 20th April: Success

Funny day as it was half N day, half S day! Going to count it as a success, but yellow for the 's' event :)

Breakfast:none
Lunch: leftover chinese (one plate, ate about 3/4 of it) and a yoghurt
Dinner: S-event dinner at book club (also a leaving do for a good friend from work).

Dinner was a 'buffet' style dinner so hard to track what I ate! I tried to virtual plate in my head, it was probably around a plateful of savoury bits and pieces (celery sticks, hummus, crisps, two small Indian savouries, handful of peanuts, handful of popcorn, some strawberries), plus one mini creme egg, and one small fairy cake. Quite pleased that I resisted the subsequent offerings of sweets.

Exercise: Yes
40 mins walking (too and from work, moderate pace)
Last edited by milliem on Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:58 pm

Hope you don't get too discouraged with the weight. we have to have faith that with consistancyhow can the weight NOT come off.....just might take longer than we would like. just think if we can adopt this habit for life we have a chance at real maintenance!
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139

milliem

Post by milliem » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:09 pm

You are definitely right snapdragon, thanks :) And I'm glad that my weight is now firmly wedged in the 'overweight' category rather than hovering right on the line of 'obese' - that's something, and even if I don't lose incredible amounts of weight I really want to keep it under 30.

I've decided to take up shovelglove to add a bit of resistance/weight training to my routine - am hoping that I won't be needing to take a bunch of NWS days to recover from bopping myself on the head with a sledge hammer :lol: But in all seriousness, exercise is lacking from my life right now!

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:58 pm

I wonder what my husband would think if he saw me swinging around a sledgehammer!!!!! I laugh thinkingaboutit!! I am hovering on obese myself and look forward to just being overweight!!!!!!
P.S. you could always wear a helmet to prevent any serious brain injuries.
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139

milliem

Post by milliem » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:33 pm

Hehe, my boyfriend made me promise not to do it while he is in the vicinity!

milliem

Post by milliem » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:43 pm

Thursday 21st April: Success

Another 'yellow' success day as I have an 's' event this evening (little sister's birthday, so we are off out for a lovely meal later - there will be a starter and a dessert :P)

Breakfast: orange juice and half an apple
Lunch: mixed bean salad, chicken bites, yoghurt
Dinner: grilled asparagus starter, lamb with sweet potato and pak choi, bread and butter pudding for dessert :)

Exercise: Yes
Approx 40 minutes walking to and from work, 30 minutes walking into town for lunch.
Last edited by milliem on Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

milliem

Post by milliem » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:13 pm

I think I might start to photo-check in some of my meals, well my dinners at least (I don't usually have access to my phone/camera during the day). It might help to see the food I'm eating in terms of figuring out if my portion sizes are too large!

Anyway, just testing.....
Strawberries by milliem1, on Flickr

milliem

Post by milliem » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:08 pm

Friday 22nd April: success

Breakfast: hot cross bun
Lunch: hunters chicken baguette
Dinner: meatballs and mashed potato

milliem

Post by milliem » Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:17 pm

Saturday: S day

Breakfast: instant porridge with a little honey, yoghurt
Lunch: beef, asparagus and baby spinach stir fry
Sweet: 2 french fancies
Dinner: leftover beef with stir fried rice
Dessert: chocolate flake pot

Also ate two more french fancies and a few hobnobs! Urgh I feel way too full...

Exercise: 10 minutes of Shovelglove - my first attempt! I'm going to work up to 14 minutes over the next few days I think :) Just need to get the movements down and into a routine. I had a giggle trying to explain to my housemate why a sledgehammer arrived in the post today....

I realised that if I make it as an N day on Monday I'll have reached 21 days of NoS with no failures!
Last edited by milliem on Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:41 pm

We're both almost at 21 days! Good for us!

(What's a French Fancy?)

milliem

Post by milliem » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:32 pm

Yep! And I really need to make Monday an N day given how much crap I ate this evening :oops:

A french fancy is a small square piece of cake, with a splodge of fondant on the top and then covered in thin icing. Very very sweet! Too sweet actually, I think my tolerance for sugar is diminishing!

milliem

Post by milliem » Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:46 pm

Sunday 24th April: S day

Breakfast: small yoghurt
Snack: 3 mini eggs
Lunch: goats cheese and spinach with a slice of wholemeal bread, lamb roast dinner, blueberry and raspberry custard tart:
Fruit tart by milliem1, on Flickr

Snack: Small Lindor egg
Dinner: beef sandwich, crisps, sugar snap peas

milliem

Post by milliem » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:55 pm

Monday 25th April: Failure :(

Damn what is it about Mondays?! I think I was still in 'holiday mode' from the Easter weekend, and just could not resist the temptation of all the snack food I still had in the house. I did do relatively OK until dinnertime...

Breakfast: carrot muffin, cup of tea
Lunch: chicken wings, half portion of fries, vanilla milkshake
Dinner: mushroom and spring onion omelette

post dinner binge: crisps and french fancies left over from the weekend...

Oh well, mark it and move on! 2 failures in 5 weeks isn't so bad :)

Exercise:
2 hours of walking
10 minutes of shovelglove

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:36 pm

Your photos are lovely.

milliem

Post by milliem » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:36 pm

Thanks :) Only from my phone as I never remember to take my camera anywhere, but they come out ok!

Tuesday 26th April: Success
Lunch: tuna and sweetcorn sandwich
Lunch continued: packet of crisps
Dinner: mushroom omelette and 1/3 of a naan bread

Omelette by milliem1, on Flickr

The naan was a random addition but I didn't think just the omelette would satisfy (the plate was small) so I warmed up a naan bread that needed using, ended up only eating 1/3 of it.

I 'forgot' to eat my whole lunch today as I was so busy in work (always the way when I've been off for a few days!) so I decided to have the crisps once I got home. I was pretty hungry all afternoon so think it will help to stave off unplanned eating before I make dinner.
Last edited by milliem on Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

Hoeka

Post by Hoeka » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:48 pm

So you had a failure? Bad bad bad girl :wink: :wink: :wink:

But: you also did a whopping 2 hours of walking and some SGing! I'm not saying the good cancels out or mitigates the bad, but look at the good choices you did make.

You know the dictum: mark it & move on.

And damn, that tart still has me drooling
Our bodies are our gardens to which our wills are gardeners - Shakespeare

milliem

Post by milliem » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:52 pm

I know I know! :) I had a real 'oh bugger it' day yesterday and rather than throwing out or giving away my leftover (opened) snacks and sweets I just indulged myself. Hoping to get back on track today and ignore the two large Easter eggs that are sitting on the counter....

milliem

Post by milliem » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:44 am

Wednesday 27th April: Failure

Lunch: Mussels in white wine and garlic
Mussels by milliem1, on Flickr

Dinner: half a duck wrap, cup of tea

Doh another failure! I meant to eat breakfast this morning but didn't, and my lunch just did NOT satisfy (I should have had a salad alongside the mussels or a couple of pieces of bread). I tried to have a duck wrap for before going to the cinema but it was gross - clearly had been sitting out in the cafe all day and was soggy :/ So the cinema sweets called me...

I really need to make sure I eat well during the day so I don't go off the rails in the evening. I did absolutely fine all day until 6pm.

Shovelglove: Yes

milliem

Post by milliem » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:47 am

Thursday 28th April: Failure

Breakfast: muesli with skimmed milk
Lunch: Pork ravioli cooked in vegetable stock
Dinner: brownies and crisps!!

Friday 29th April: success

A slightly iffy success but I had an 'S event' today for lunch as I was at a big family party - there was a huge buffet but I managed to stick to one plate and one small plate of dessert. So I'm counting that as a success!

Breakfast: cheese and spring onion muffin, poached egg
Lunch: BBQ-d burger, slice of ham, salad
Dessert: small scoop of kiwi and ginger trifle, one blondie
Dinner: One plate chinese takeaway (ate about 3/4 of the plate before I was full)

Holidays and days at home during the week are HARD for me! I'm used to my workday routine which helps me stick to N days.

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:19 pm

Were you at the family party? Just wondering if you're a member of the ruling classes... :D

milliem

Post by milliem » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:23 pm

Haha, nope the party wasn't on THAT grand a scale! ;) I'm not sure the royals do 'internet forums'....

milliem

Post by milliem » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:24 pm

Saturday 30th April: S day

Lunch: small portion pork ravioli, crisps
Snack: some chocolates, more crisps
Dinner: bacon, mushroom and cheese omelette, glass of milk

milliem

Post by milliem » Sun May 01, 2011 4:19 pm

Sunday 1st May: S day

Brunch: fried egg, 2 rashers bacon, home baked sweet potato fries
Snack: easter egg chocolate
Dinner: cheese and prosciutto pizza
Snack: kiwi fruit, bit more chocolate

Last edited by milliem on Sun May 01, 2011 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TexArk

Compliments to the chef

Post by TexArk » Sun May 01, 2011 5:57 pm

I am enjoying reading your posts and the photos, too. I am sort of an anglophile so I love the expressions and the spelling. My favorite breakfasts are similar to the ones I enjoyed in England--eggs, bacon, tomatoes and tea with lots of cream!

milliem

Post by milliem » Sun May 01, 2011 7:44 pm

Thanks TexArk! It is interesting the difference between how different countries eat :) I'm not a big breakfast eater but I do love bacon, eggs and toast/muffins when I have the time!

I haven't made it to a 21 day NoS streak yet, but I've been doing this for over a month now with only 3 (I think) failures, so I'm going to start tweaking a bit. I have been tracking and thinking ONLY about food but I think it's time for me to start cutting out any calorific drinks. I know that while drinks aren't tracked per se on NoS, some can be quite high in calories and I'm wondering if this is why I haven't lost an awful lot of weight.

Next week (on N days) I'm going to try not to drink any calorific drinks - this means sticking to water, sugar free squash and tea/coffee mainly, skimmed milk at a push and diet carbonated drinks at a last resort. I'm going to try not to drink any fruit juices and NO full fat soda.

milliem

Post by milliem » Mon May 02, 2011 9:02 pm

Monday 2nd May: Success

Lunch: poached chicken, carrot salad, lettuce and mayo in a wrap with a few boiled new potatoes and butter.
Dinner: spicy minced beef fajita, oven baked sweet potato fries

Drinks: sugar free squash (two pints), cup of tea with skimmed milk

I'm glad this was a success after last weeks slips! Resisted the offer of easter eggs from my mum at lunch, and kept busy this evening to avoid any dips into my leftover easter chocolate.

No exercise today though, apart from a brief 20-25 minute walk to the shops this evening.

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Mon May 02, 2011 11:11 pm

I'm amusing myself imagining a royal family internet forum.

Probably could summed up thus:

"Omg! Did you see the hat on HorseFace?"

Hoeka

Post by Hoeka » Tue May 03, 2011 9:04 am

Who Me, please, please, please give us a "belly-laugh coming" alert in future: I nearly sprayed water all over my laptop at imaging HorseFace & hat :lol: :lol:
Thanks for the laugh!
H
Our bodies are our gardens to which our wills are gardeners - Shakespeare

milliem

Post by milliem » Tue May 03, 2011 3:59 pm

Haha, to be fair though, 'horse faced and wearing a hat' describes a large proportion of people attending the Royal Wedding on Friday.... in-breeding creates some quite unfortunate looking Royals. Bless 'em.

milliem

Post by milliem » Tue May 03, 2011 7:52 pm

Tuesday 3rd May: Success

Lunch: spicy mince tortilla wrap, 2 kiwi fruit
Dinner: 2 slices pizza, 2 slices garlic bread, salad

Pizza plate by milliem1, on Flickr

Dinner plate possibly rather large/overstuffed but I felt satisfied :)

Cooking some breakfast bars to try and encourage breakfast eating - licked the spoon to taste the mix, and had a fingerful of seeds that i was thinking of adding in (glad I did, they definitely wouldn't have been good!!) but no other extras :)

Drinks: cup of tea, glass of water, 2 glasses sugar free irn bru

milliem

Post by milliem » Wed May 04, 2011 4:41 pm

Wednesday 4th May:

Breakfast: homemade breakfast bar (turned out to be date, walnut and dessicated coconut which was what I had in the cupboard :))
Lunch: spicy mice tortilla wrap, kiwi fruit
Dinner: spring onion omelette, salad with light dressing

Spring onion omelette and salad by milliem1, on Flickr

Drinks: cup of tea, 2 glasses water, glass skimmed milk

Going to the cinema tonight, going to try really hard not to buy any snack food!

gk

Post by gk » Thu May 05, 2011 2:55 am

You're doing great! :)

milliem

Post by milliem » Thu May 05, 2011 9:54 pm

Thursday 5th May: Success

Breakfast: nigella bar
Lunch: hummus and vegetable wrap, apple/grape/pineapple fruit salad
Dinner: 1 and a half sausage sarnies

Drinks: tea, bottle of flavoured carbonated water

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Thu May 05, 2011 10:37 pm

Spicy MICE.....gross 8)
Looks like you are doing great!!!!!!
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139

milliem

Post by milliem » Fri May 06, 2011 3:42 pm

Hehe, oops MINCE, i meant mince.... :P

Friday 6th May: Success

Lunch: hummus on panini, orange
Mini-meal: nigella bar, milk
Dinner: curry (planned)

My dinner plate was RATHER stuffed full although technically it all fit on one plate... as I balanced my poppadom on top of the curry :lol: :oops: But hey, one poppadom would take up an entire plate itself!!

Drinks: tea, water, full fat coke (2 small glasses)

Allowing myself a mini-meal at 4pm today as I'm going to visit family for dinner and I know it will be late - much later than normal.

milliem

Post by milliem » Sat May 07, 2011 5:45 pm

Saturday 7th May: S day

Lunch: cheese and onion pastry roll
Afternoon 'snack' (with friend): 2 doughnuts and a mango slushie
Snack: breakfast bar (really no need to eat this apart from greed :/)
Dinner: off out for dinner (Italian) with the OH tonight

Gosh, I had a lovely 3 course meal for dinner but I was so over-full it was uncomfortable. Note to self: no matter how tempting, you will NOT feel good after 3 large courses, especially when you snacked mid-afternoon.

milliem

Post by milliem » Sun May 08, 2011 3:47 pm

Sunday 8th May: S day

Brunch: 2 poached eggs on toast
Snack: doughnut and chocolate bar :oops:
Dinner: No idea yet....

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Mon May 09, 2011 4:50 am

Spicy Mice?

(By the way, I wasn't calling out any *particular* horse faced hat wearer....)

milliem

Post by milliem » Mon May 09, 2011 5:18 pm

Who Me? wrote:Spicy Mice?

(By the way, I wasn't calling out any *particular* horse faced hat wearer....)
Mince! Damn I should fix that typo :) I didn't think so, how could you possibly choose one?!

I ended up having porridge with prunes and brown sugar for 'dinner' on sunday. Far too sweet a day overall I think, could have really done with a proper savoury plateful for dinner. Oh well my cupboards are stocked up today so I don't have to think quite so much about what to prepare.

milliem

Post by milliem » Tue May 10, 2011 6:46 am

Monday 9th May: Failure

Lunch: spinach, feta and tomato quiche, paprika crisps
Dinner: pork, new potatos and guacamole

After dinner sweet: easter egg chocolate

I'm not sure why I'm struggling so much lately! I think I'm going to have to try a mod of some kind, I just can't seem to go between 6pm and 11pm without any food!! And having breakfast isn't helping.

I might try having a mini-meal (a slice of toast with peanut butter,or a yoghurt and a piece of fruit etc.) at around 4-5pm when I get home from work, and have a later dinner at around 8pm. See if that keeps me away from the chocolate....

milliem

Post by milliem » Tue May 10, 2011 9:33 pm

Tuesday 10th May: Success

Lunch: bacon and egg sarnie, pineapple
Afternoon: slice toast with peanut butter
Dinner: spicy sausage, red pepper and red onion with couscous

Drinks: sugar-free 7up, tea, water

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Tue May 10, 2011 10:06 pm

I just figured that "spicy mice" was one of those cute food names like "pigs in a blanket" or "bubble and squeak."

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mypapercrane/4195750351/

gk

Post by gk » Wed May 11, 2011 1:54 am

milliem wrote:Sunday 8th May: S day

Brunch: 2 poached eggs on toast
Snack: doughnut and chocolate bar :oops:
Dinner: No idea yet....
Hey, I noticed you have a sad face on your S Day treat. Tsk, tsk....every No-Ser on this board would tell you not to think that way about your treats on an S Day...that's what an S Day is all about! No guilt...just well-
deserved treats! Enjoy! :D

Did your snack help alot today? I've found that more times than not my one optional snack really helps with my afternoon munchies and overeating at supper.

Keep it up - you're doing great! :)

milliem

Post by milliem » Thu May 12, 2011 11:34 am

Wednesday 11th May: Success

Lunch: bacon and egg sandwich, kiwi fruit, yoghurt, handful of unsalted cashew nuts
Afternoon: 1 slice toast w/peanut butter, 1 poached egg
Dinner: mushroom and onion teriyaki noodles

Drinks: tea, water, flavoured sparkling water

Having the afternoon meal seems to be helping so far, I even managed to resist all temptation at the cinema to have sweets or calorific drinks! Just need to keep the mini-meal... mini, and all will be well!

milliem

Post by milliem » Thu May 12, 2011 6:02 pm

Thursday 12th May: Success

Lunch: salt beef sarnie, yoghurt, 2 kiwi fruit
Afternoon:1 slice toast w/peanut butter
Dinner: Sausages, leeks and sweet potato

Sausage, leek and sweet potato by milliem1, on Flickr

The sausages look oddly wrinkly but they were delicious!

Drinks: flavoured sparkling water, tea

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Thu May 12, 2011 6:15 pm

That looks like a lovely meal. (And I'm a vegetarian.). Are the leeks braised or sauteed?

milliem

Post by milliem » Thu May 12, 2011 8:19 pm

Sauteed :) Would work really well with Glamorgan sausages!

gk

Post by gk » Thu May 12, 2011 8:29 pm

The pics of your meals always look like they belong in a food magazine. Yum!! :)

milliem

Post by milliem » Fri May 13, 2011 7:44 pm

Thanks gk! I do cheat a little by only 'remembering' to take a photo of the nice looking meals ;) I can't take my phone to work unfortunately so you don't get to see my pseudo-plates of sarnies'n'stuff :P

Friday 13th May: Success

Breakfast: half a nigella bar (in a rush)
Lunch: cheese and pickle sandwich, yoghurt, kiwi fruit
Afternoon: 1 slice toast w/peanut butter
Dinner: chinese takeaway (boiled rice, cantonese sweet and sour chicken, spicy crispy beef) - one plate, avoiding the prawn crackers!

Drinks: sugar free 7up, sugar free squash, tea

Friday nights are so tempting in terms of snacks and sweets, it FEELS like the weekend and after a long week in work I just want to eat! It's weird how I feel like I 'deserve' certain foods at certain times. Oh well, chinese was a treat, sipping slowly at squash and avoiding the kitchen for the rest of the evening.

gk

Post by gk » Sat May 14, 2011 2:48 am

milliem wrote:Friday nights are so tempting in terms of snacks and sweets, it FEELS like the weekend and after a long week in work I just want to eat! It's weird how I feel like I 'deserve' certain foods at certain times.
I know exactly what you mean. The minute I pick my kids up from school on Friday, I immediately have the craving to eat chocolate. The weekend has always seemed to start for me on Friday night. Tried starting my S weekends on Friday night (and ending by 5 p.m. on Sunday) just because of that, but it back-fired, seeming to just increase my bingeing. Good for you for resisting! Enjoy your weekend! :)

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Sat May 14, 2011 3:04 pm

Me too! In fact, my urge to eat starts at 11am on Fridays when there is always cake 'because it's Friday and we've worked so hard'. I've tried the 'S-day slide' from Friday pm to Sunday pm, but it didn't feel right. I suppose we'll just have to struggle with that Friday feeling or find another way of celebrating the end of the week (glass of wine, anyone??) :D

milliem

Post by milliem » Sun May 15, 2011 8:28 am

Saturday 14th May: S day

Snack: Thornton's chocolates (from easter egg)
Lunch: leftover cantonese chicken and rice
Dinner: Vegetable lasagne, salad and garlic bread
Dessert: clotted cream ice cream

gk

Post by gk » Mon May 16, 2011 2:10 am

milliem wrote:Saturday 14th May: S day

Snack: Thornton's chocolates (from easter egg)
Lunch: leftover cantonese chicken and rice
Dinner: Vegetable lasagne, salad and garlic bread
Dessert: clotted cream ice cream
What a perfect S Day....a normal N Day with a dash of S here and there. Someday I hope to accomplish this!