Who Me? Checking In!

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:40 pm

Just like No S, there's a lot more "during" than before and after.

http://howsrobb.blogspot.com/search/lab ... %20cottage

Pangelsue2

Post by Pangelsue2 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:14 pm

Looks like a craftman style house and a charming one at that. I love the dining room breakfront.
I'm baaaack.

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:47 am

I'm chugging along, staying (mostly) on track.

The funny thing is that my S-days are almost the same as my N-days. I rarely eat seconds, almost never eat sweets, and rarely eat snacks.

I haven't stepped on a scale, since just after I started this experiment. I've lost some weight in my face, but my clothes fit pretty much the same. Typical. I lose weight from my face, and then hands, and then from my already-small chest before anything disappears from my ass.

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:52 am

Another day on-track. We need to go to the grocery store, so lunch was a Random Assortment of Food.

I'm surrounded by treats, but am not tempted. It's such crappy quality, that passing on by is easy.

milliem

Post by milliem » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:21 am

You seem to have taken brilliantly to the NoS lifestyle :)

I've always found that whenever I'm pretty sure I'm at my heaviest (although I don't weigh often enough to be sure) people say 'ooh you've lost weight'. When I know I've lost weight, no-one says a thing....

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:14 pm

Tuesday

Breakfast -- home baked bread, home made plum jam (with fruit from our back yard), butter, latte
Lunch -- cheese sandwich, two figs, banana
Dinner -- grilled asparagus and an ear of grilled corn, home baked bread, watermelon

I met another neighbor, who really inspired me with his beautiful backyard orchard. He's got figs, many many kinds of citrus, apricots, loquat, apples, persimmons, and all sorts of Asian vegetables.

Makes me excited about all of my baby trees.
Last edited by Who Me? on Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pangelsue2

Post by Pangelsue2 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:31 pm

How exciting it must be to live in a climate where growing all those fruits in your backyard is possible. It sounds like a dream to someone like me from the cold north where we get 3 months of growing if we are lucky.
Speaking of figs, I found a recipe for a fig tuna wrap and something possessed me to give it a try. My DH fell in love with it. He has made it for lunches several times in the last couple of weeks. It is simple.
Can of tuna
1/3 cup chopped figs
1 stalk of celery chopped fine
onion to taste
grated orange peel
1/4 c chopped walnuts
honey greek style yogurt to hold it together.

Really yummy.
I'm baaaack.

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:37 pm

Wednesday

Breakfast -- latte, home baked bread, butter, home made jam
Lunch -- two boiled eggs, cheese and bread, watermelon
Dinner -- cucumber on bread, lentils, rice and sauted zucchini

This is my four-hundredth post.

While I'm not a totally orthodox follower of No-S, as articulated on this discussion forum, I'm happy to have found an opportunity to examine my eating habits. After my partner was paralyzed, our lives were turned upside-down. We lost so many of the things that brought us happiness, that I got into the habit of eating for comfort. I wasn't out-of-control, by any stretch of the imagination, but I wasn't happy with my snacking, either.

Overall, I've really enjoyed this system, and the people on this forum. Thanks, y'all!

Joyofsix

Post by Joyofsix » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:33 am

Happy 400th Post
Lisa, mom to 7

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:45 pm

Friday

Breakfast -- latte, cereal with added nuts and dried currants
Lunch -- cucumber and cheese sandwich, on home baked bread, latte
Dinner -- rice with sauted vegetables, wilted arugula, bread

I'll admit that over the last few years, I haven't been taking care of myself. On Thursday, I got the first "real" haircut in longer than I care to admit, as well as some coloring. I *hated* the color. It looked fake and cheap. So, after a day of fretting, I called the salon, and they graciously fixed the mess they'd made. I love my hair, now!

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:39 pm

Who Me?

Might I just stop by and say how much I love your blog and how I admire you and Robb?

What beautiful pictures and stories, I showed them to my husband, we laughed outloud about your shallot story. You are a gifted writer, beautiful photographer and devoted partner.

Proud to know you, indeed. :wink:
Berry

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:23 pm

Oh, gee, thanks!

The shallot story was pretty pathetic, but if you clicked the internal link, you would have seen all of the creatures who benefitted from the shallot flowers. I asked my local garden forum, and I guess I should have chopped if the flowers as soon as they emerged. Oh well....

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:31 pm

Whoops! I lied. I never put in that link, and I can't seem to edit the blog from my phone.

Joyofsix

Post by Joyofsix » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:18 pm

Good for you for getting the hair like you wanted it. There's something empowering about making your voice heard. Slinking off to a corner now with my wild mess of reddish/grayish moppy hair.
Lisa, mom to 7

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:27 pm

When Robb was paralyzed, a huge amount of my hair fell out, and then it all grew back grey. I was under so much stress!

I kept hoping that it would look cool and funky, but it actually just depressed me. I'm very pleased with how things look, and with the fact that I've finally given myself permission to take care of myself.

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:56 pm

I'm glad you are being as kind and gentle to yourself as you are to those around you! You are a special lady! I absolutely love your home! It actually looks like what I expected a your home to look like! How strange is that!
I have a son and his family living in Stockton... you guys live the same kind of style. He made a solar oven last year..nothing really special..foil,mirrors,..that sort of thing..and he recently sent me pics of a veggie lasagna he made in it! He called me because he had never actually made any lasagna and he wanted to do it without cooking the noodles first. I wish I knew how to send you the pic of it..he said it was really good. I actually thought about YOU when he sent the pic..it just seemed like something you would try!
I am glad you found this site when you needed it. Sometimes we just need a little help over a rough spot! It has been a joy getting to know you!
"If you realized how powerful your thoughts are, you would never think another negative thought."
Peace Pilgrim

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:32 am

Saturday could have been an N-day. I ate normally, with the exception of four rather stale licorice candies

Sunday I came down with a cold. Ate strangely.

Breakfast -- half a nectarine, cheese and herb omelet, latte
Lunch -- pbj, and several slices of home made bread with our plum jam
Dinner -- green salad, turnip gratin, home made lemon verbena ice cream

Last year, an allergy to hot peppers transformed into an allergy to all nightshade plants. I had really been missing potatoes, and begged Robb to make a turnip gratin as a potato substitute. Words cannot describe how delicious this was!

Robb also made lemon verbena ice cream, which was wonderful. We have a huge lemon verbena bush in our yard, and we never use it.

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:22 pm

Have you tried parsnips? Kind of a turnip+licorice flavor..very refreshing (to me , hubby hates it!..he doesn't care for licorice at all!). I usually roast it with other root veggies but I'm sure it would be yummy prepared many different ways. How about mashing cauliflower ..adding herbs, butter and cream for a potato sub? (Is that from some low carb diet??)
Enjoy your posts!
"If you realized how powerful your thoughts are, you would never think another negative thought."
Peace Pilgrim

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:59 pm

You are the second person to suggest mashed cauliflower. Is this actually any good? It seems like you'd have to cook it to death. I like roasted cauliflower, because it maintains crunch.

You'll never see me on a low carb diet. No way. I'm too much of a starch lover. My lunatic (sadly) mother was all over Atkins, back in the day. It gave her "permission" to eat bacon all day long.

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:44 pm

I have to add my 2cents that though people go mad over mashed cauliflower, I find it nasty. I LOOKS like mashed potatoes if you use your imagination a little, but the texture is all wrong. I LIKE c by itself or with cheese sauce but mashed makes it kind of yucky. IMHO.
-Sonya
No Sweets, No Snacks and No Seconds, Except (Sometimes) on days that start with "S".

milliem

Post by milliem » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:47 pm

I don't need anyone to help me want to eat bacon all day long! Just chiming in on the parsnips=yum suggestion, I could eat roast parsnips (with a bit of honey and a few herbs) all day long. I probably shouldn't though :)

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:16 pm

You guys crack me up.

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:18 pm

Hi who me? Just wanted to stop by and say hi and also how much I admire you and your partner, Robb. You've both gone through the mill and come back out victorious on the other side. ((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))))))))
No S-er since December 2009
Streamlined S Days: 6/25/12
SW: 170 /CW: 127
Weight loss to date: 43 lbs

tobiasmom

hey

Post by tobiasmom » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:55 pm

I haven't checked in with you in a while. I've been working through my own kinks this past week or so. But just wanted to stop by and say HI!

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:02 pm

You all are so sweet!

Monday

Breakfast -- latte, egg and cheese on a bagel
Lunch -- leftover turnip gratin and green salad, grapefruit juice
Dinner -- homemade "white" pizza, with mushrooms, leeks, and garden herbs

Still fighting that cold...

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:19 pm

Summer colds are the worst, hope you feel better soon. :wink:
Berry

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:20 am

Tuesday

Breakfast -- latte, egg and cheese bagel
Lunch -- "virgin" pad thai, very tasty
Dinner -- green beans and purple beans from the garden, sauted with shallots and tofu
Later -- a cucumber soda, that I knocked over, and sent flying all over the table at knitting night. Amazingly, I didn't drench anyone's project.

Painted at work, painted boards for our house-siding when I got home. Still dragging a wee bit from my cold.

Linguisticsgirl

Post by Linguisticsgirl » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:24 am

What oh what is a cucumber soda? I am utterly intrigued... :D

Sarah

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:55 pm

I knit with friends at a local cafe that makes syrups, and then carbonates them. Do far, I've tried the cucumber and the lavender sodas. Strange, but delicious! And not too sweet.

It's funny what "normal" is. What the heck does coca-cola taste like, other than sugar and "ick"?

Linguisticsgirl

Post by Linguisticsgirl » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:26 pm

Those sound good. I love cucumber! Not so sure about the lavender.

Apparently coca cola is a 'fruit flavoured' drink. I cannot imagine what fruit this might be...

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:02 pm

Wednesday

I'm counting this as a fail-day, mostly because of bad scheduling. I didn't eat "bad" food, I just didn't account for timing.

Breakfast -- latte, bread and cheese
Elevenses -- bread and coffee
Lunch -- leftover Thai food
Mess-up -- scheduled fruit picking after work, didn't finish until 7pm. I have a *very* fast metabolism, and was starving. Had some bread and butter and a few almonds before dinner. I need to remember to stick to mealtimes.
Dinner -- Swiss chard and rice

Bad -- waiting too long to eat. Massive allergic reaction to something in my friend's garden.

Good -- LOQUATS ! ! ! Why have I never tried these before???? Probably be ause they are inseason for such a short time, and are too fragile toship to stores. Yummy!!!!!

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:44 pm

Thursday

Breakfast -- latte, lowfat yogurt with added wheat germ and home made plum jam
Lunch -- cucumber and cheese sandwich
Dinner -- sauted greenbeans, mushrooms and shallots on rice with feta cheese

Worked really late, painting. Surrounded by food, and had a lot of time to wait, wait, wait. Didn't eat any of the candy or chips! Knitted instead.

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:15 pm

Friday

Breakfast -- latte, and I forget what else
Lunch -- leftovers from last night's dinner
Dinner -- wilted spinach and cheese salad, peas and beans from garden, corn on the cob, bread and butter

Today I am going to an experimental orchard for a fruit-tasting event! Whoo Hoooooo!

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:16 pm

Hi Who! I haven't been around in a bit and am just now going to answer your cauliflower question: Yes, I think it is very good! I love cauliflower..raw..roasted..steamed... any way. when i mash it..I don't aim for a potato texture (that might be Atkins..I've never done that diet) I like it "lumpy"! The cream and butter just give it a little different taste. Probably if I would add more milk and butter and some cheese, I'd have a nice soup!
We get loquats from our neighbors' trees in FL in the winter and they are wonderful! So many of them end up getting pitched because every other home seems to have a loquat tree in the front yard. I should probably break down and preserve them into some kind of spread to bring north.
I found figs!! a pack of 8 for $5.00... always think of you (I know your trees aren't bearing yet.) when I think of figs. They were so yummy!! I actually offered them on a fruit/cheese platter..no one ate any (yeah!!)... All for me!! I still have 1/2 a fruit for tomorrow.
Peace Pilgrim

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:14 pm

I bought figs at Trader Joes a few weeks back, and all but one were unripe. I'll be so happy when my baby trees mature enough the bear fruit.

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:25 am

A great weekend.

Saturday -- latte, slice of bread
Lunch -- two veggie and cheese sandwiches, water
Dinner -- roasted corn, green beans, followed by two kinds of ice cream that we'd made (rosemary, reisling lemon sorbet, and lemon verbena ice cream).

Main Event -- a tour of a beautiful historic orchard that's part of the nation's living repository of rare food crops. We met with several of their program directors and learned about plums and mulberries. And then we got to eat the rare and historic fruits. Varieties of plums, dating back to the 1800s! Mulberries from India! After the official talk, we were allowed to roam the vast vineyards, and sample to our hearts' content. It was a beautiful event, and I'm honored to have been a participant.

Sunday

Breakfast -- latte, half a mango, bread and a boiled egg
Lunch -- salad with things from our garden and friends' gardens
Dinner -- corn on the cob, black beans with cheese, green salad

Other than eating my way through the orchard (which was lovely), there were no snacks, and only one non-fruit sweet all weekend. No seconds, either, unless you count the fruit!

I did a big beehive inspection today, and harvested a little honey. Worked in the garden and knitted.

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:44 am

Monday

Breakfast -- latte, bread and butter
Elevenses -- coffee, Italian roll
Lunch -- salad with black beans rice and guacamole
Dinner -- pasta with fresh pesto, pattypan squash, biscuits with homemade loquat jam

I don't know why, but I'm feeling really sad.

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:34 pm

I hate days when I just feel really sad and can't even pinpoint why. I'm sorry you're feeling that way. I hope it's the kind of thing that gets cured by sleep and you wake up today much lighter.

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:13 pm

Thanks.

I was doing better, and then work dropped one of those Regularly Scheduled Disasters on me. Oh well....

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:06 am

I saw that you were feeling sad this morning and decided to check back and see how you are doing this evening..and I see that your job has added to your misery. I am so sorry and my wish for you is a better day tomorrow. I'll be checking.....
Peace Pilgrim

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:14 am

This was one of those up-and-down days. I'm working on a smelly, tedious project, the dudes (my esteemed colleagues) were abrading steel directly outside of my door, and listening to particularly loathsome techno (seriously? who listens to techno anymore). The bad thing is that the ventilation for my workspace was pulled out of the budget, so I was in a hot smelly studio, and couldn't open the door. The smells weren't dangerous enough to warrant wearing a respirator, but I did end up with a whopping headache.

Trying to turn this around, and still go out to knitting.

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:02 am

Tuesday

Breakfast -- biscuit and loquat jam, latte
Lunch -- another beans and rice, guac and cheese salad
Dinner -- biscuit, pasta green beans and mushrooms, and half a plum

Headache morphed into an earache.

Tonight we transferred our two big jugs of plum wine into other jugs, to strain off the sediment.

I did not go to knitting.

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:44 am

Earache morphed into another danged cold. I swear, I have the most overburdened respiratory system.

Stayed home sick on Thursday and Friday. Ate fine, if a bit blandly.

We were booked for a weekend of fun for Robb's birthday. I wasn't sure how I'd manage. We did a five-mile kayaking trip, which was huge fun, but also just slightly more than I could handle. We had a fantastic dinner in California's wine country (Sonoma County).

http://blogs.webmd.com/tasty-easy-healt ... twork.html (A link about the restaurant, believe it or not.)

Saturday

Breakfast -- latte, banana (I was still feeling pretty rotten in the morning)
Lunch -- picnic on the river, boiled egg, avocado and veggie and cheese sandwiches, two oatmeal cookies (and a free creamsicle, as the boat company's reward for picking up trash on the river)
Dinner -- half a beer, a lot of water, homemade lemonade, fantastic arugula, endive, beet and blue cheese salad. Side of kale. (I eat really strangely in restaurants, because of my idiotic food allergies.)

Tomorrow, a nice long bike ride!

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:11 am

Sunday

Another splendid day.

We stayed at a bed-and-breakfast last night, and then went for a drive in wine country, followed by a lovely eight-mile bike ride. The entire trail was surrounded by blackberry bushes, and all the locals were out picking berries. We managed to sweet talk our waitress into giving us a couple of the containers that carry-out soup comes in, and I found a little market and bought some zip-top bags. We probably picked a gallon and a half of berries. I guess I'll be making a small batch of jam tomorrow night.

Breakfast -- (a little strange, since I'm a vegetarian with food allergies) An oven-baked French toast, with freshly made strawberry "sauce," coffee, fresh orange juice, pineapple and watermelon.

Lunch -- eggs Florentine, and polenta (again, eating out with food allergies makes for strange, strange choices), lemonade, lots of water.

Post-Ride Treat -- stopped at a coffee shop, and split a small mocha milkshake. Also, a healthy handful of blackberries eaten along the trail. More went into the bag than the mouth, which is the sure proof that I'm an adult.

Dinner -- (made quickly, after the drive home) broiled bread with olive oil, spinach and grated hard cheese.

Considering how much of a workout the kayaking was, and that we went cycling the next day, I have to pat myself on the back for eating nice, reasonable meals, with just one well-earned treat.

Joyofsix

Post by Joyofsix » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:53 am

That sounds like a really wonderful weekend.
Lisa, mom to 7

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:51 pm

Monday

Breakfast -- latte, banana, homebaked bread with homemade jam and butter.
Lunch -- veggie sushi, a small roll, a few lychees, coffee.
Dinner -- rice and Swiss chard, peanut butter and crackers.

tobiasmom

hey

Post by tobiasmom » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:54 pm

Homebaked bread with jam and butter........nothing better!!!!

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:20 pm

I'm still so pleased with how the weekend went.

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:09 pm

Sounds like an awesome weekend in every way!

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:48 pm

Tuesday Robb's Birthday

Breakfast -- latte, banana
Elevenses -- coffe, Italian bread
Lunch -- avocado on Italian bread, nectarine
Dinner -- delicious Burmese food, five cookies

Turns out I was allergic to the tiny amount of peppers in my salad. My food allergies really are a nightmare.

Wednesday
Breakfast -- latte
Elevenses -- egg and cheese on a bagel
Lunch -- leftover Burmese food, a mango
Dinner -- fresh garden beans, homemade Mac-and-cheese, half an avocado, small glass of wine.

We made blackberry jam from berries we picked this past weekend.

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:59 am

I've forgotten to check in for a few days.

Thursday was a red day because I had to pick my incoming intern up at the airport, got home at 1am, and was STUPIDLY HUNGRY. I had a couple of slices of bread, which counts as a snack.

Friday was fine.

Saturday was nice. We went to a couple of estate sales. Got some lovely antiques and some killer vintage kitchen stuff.

Breakfast -- home baked bread, a boiled egg, latte
Lunch -- avocado sandwich, an orangina
Dinner -- a beautiful salad, made with garden veggies, two dinner rolls. Had five little cookies, and two squares of dark chocolate

Sunday was funny. I was feeling queasy, but super-hungry much of the afternoon. Weird. I did a fair amount of gardening, and scraped boards for our house's siding. (I'm never going to finish this project.)

Breakfast -- latte, cheddar omelet
Lunch -- more salad, "Peruvian" beans. I forget how great home-made dried beans can be.
Snacks -- peanut butter on rye crisp crackers, and also some home baked bread
Dinner -- not sure I'm going to have anything. Feeling queasy.

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:06 am

Monday

Breakfast -- latte, two slices of bread with jam (all home made)
Elevenses -- a plum and a small avocado
Lunch -- salad, "Peruvian" beans
Dinner -- latte, white pizza (home made crust)

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:11 am

Tuesday

Breakfast -- home baked bread, latte
Elevenses -- coffee
Lunch -- bean soup, bread
Dinner -- multigrain tempeh, spinach with walnuts, latte

Tonight was knitting night. I had a barely-sweet anise soda, freshly made. Rather odd, but nice.

tobiasmom

hey

Post by tobiasmom » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:47 pm

Your food looks delish! Do you make your jam too? I like to make bread. Some homemade jam would be amazing! How would I even go about this?

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:02 pm

Making jam is easy! You need the right stockpots, and you *must* be scrupulous about food-safety. There a loads of instructions online.

Here's my tutorial on making Meyer lemon marmalade:

http://howsrobb.blogspot.com/2010/07/bittersweet.html

It took me a while to realize that you can't "scale up" your recipes, because the jam will take too long to boil, and it won't "set" properly.

http://howsrobb.blogspot.com/2011/06/plum-jam.html

What's nice about making jam is that you have total control over your ingredients. Also, jam makes a great gift. So far, we've made plum jam, loquat jam, blackberry jam and lemon marmalade. Loads of fun, and oh-so-tasty!

It is super-messy, though. Worth every drip!

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:15 pm

Oh, yum! I may have to try that!

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:05 am

It's easy! It's fun! Do it!

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:48 am

I made (strawberry) jam for the first time a few months ago and loved it. It really was both easy and fun -- and the fresh jam is the greatest thing!

tobiasmom

hey

Post by tobiasmom » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:06 pm

That's it....I'm doing it!!! Boy, oh, boy! With all of you on this board with yummy recipes...I'm never leaving my kitchen!!!

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:57 pm

That's it....I'm doing it!!! Boy, oh, boy! With all of you on this board with yummy recipes...I'm never leaving my kitchen!!!
Hard to imagine that as a positive sentiment on most diet discussion boards!

Wednesday

Breakfast -- latte, banana
Elevenses -- coffe, banana
Lunch -- black bean burrito, nectarine
Dinner -- ear of corn, Swiss chard, lentil soup, bread

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:42 am

I've been really busy, and have not been recording my meals. But I've been on-track, so that's good.

Here's a semi-food-related story (the food being honey):

This spring, I set up a beehive at a friend's house. She had the space, and I was willing to do the work. On Wednesday, some idiot broke into her yard, and sprayed the bees with insecticide. It was carnage on a massive scale. I really hate humans, sometimes. How can people be so cruel to other living creatures? How can they be so cowardly? If the neighbors had a problem with my friend's hive, why didn't they talk to her, or call the city, or find any other adult way of dealing with this? Trespassing and killing? Not good.

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:35 am

Wow. That's really awful. Seriously, how hard would it have been to find some way other than killing what I can only assume is an awful lot of bees if they were freaked out by them being there or whatever the problem was? Very cowardly.

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:52 am

I'm secretly hoping that they got stung so badly that they had to go to the hospital.

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:45 am

Saturday

Breakfast -- latte, boiled eggs and home made bread
Lunch -- leftover mac and cheese, and green beans, latte
Dinner -- pasta and veggie
Snacking -- six cranberry oatmeal cookies

Sunday

Breakfast -- latte, home made bread, home made jam, nectarines
Lunch -- leftover pasta and a pinto bean and avocado burrito (not huge)
Dinner -- queso fresco and spinach burrito (again, not huge) and fresh (not canned) garbanzo beans
Snacking -- none I just didn't feel like it.

Today's adventures in food: We made pickles with cucumbers from a friend's garden, and herbs from our own.

And of course, I wrote all about it on the old bloggy-blog.
http://howsrobb.blogspot.com/2011/08/pi ... tempt.html

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:20 am

Monday

Breakfast -- latte, bread and jam, a bowl of cereal
Lunch -- leftover chick peas (can I say how great fresh garbanzos are?), polenta, and pickled radishes.
Dinner -- mixed green salad, lentil soup, diluted fruit juice

Note to self:
When you eat pickled radishes for lunch, make time to actually brush your teeth after lunch. I'm just sayin...
Last edited by Who Me? on Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:11 am

I hope to have a such a great weekend as you just had...working on it...

You are doing wonderful and an inspiration for sure!

p.s. that is horrible about the bees, don't they know that if not for bees we would all starve from our plant foods not being pollenated..we had some trouble here in the US saying our bee populations are dieing off and that is going to have a terrible impact on us...something to do with maybe the cell phone towers, etc.
Age 56: SBMI=30.6 (12/1/13) CBMI 28.9 (2/2/14) GBMI-24.8

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:26 pm

I think the use of bio-engineered crops (which don't provide forage for bees), massive use of agro-chemicals, and parasites are more likely to blame than cell towers. Also, consider that commercial beekeepers from all over the United States move their colonies thousands of miles evey year, pollinate our crops. Those bees are under huge stress, and more often than not are fed a diet of high fructose corn syrup.

No wonder our bees are suffering.

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:31 pm

Ya, you are probably right..I just feel so bad for the bees..even though I was stung once. I know they are for our own benefit...

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:52 pm

Tuesday

Breakfast -- two boiled eggs, 1/2 plum, 1/4 mango, latte
Lunch -- leftover salad, lentil soup, plums
Dinner -- pasta with mushrooms, green beans, glass of wine

I met up with a lady who was over burdened with fruit from her plum tree, and picked a couple of pounds. Tomorrow we make jam!

Pangelsue2

Post by Pangelsue2 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:01 pm

Sorry for the bees too. Considering the huge problem with pollination we face if we lose bees, it should be illegal to do what someone did to your bees.
Glad to hear I am not the only one involved in the problems inherent in our agribusiness in this country. I have to read and watch the news about those problems piecemeal or I get too upset and angry. All I can do is eat as clean as possible and spread the word. I must say the biggest issue trying to eat clean in Wisconsin is the cost of the organic food. Almost all of it has to be brought in from other parts of the country (use of fossil fuels) and is really expensive. We have a list of the worst and the best conventional foods and try to spend our organic dollars on the dirty dozen or so fruits and vegetables. Organic meats are totally out of the question. We try to go with natural but there is so much controversy about how much better they really are. Very confusing.
I'm baaaack.

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:44 am

We have a list of the worst and the best conventional foods and try to spend our organic dollars on the dirty dozen or so fruits and vegetables
I think that's a very wise approach. Have you read at all about large-scale strawberry farming? It's HORRIBLE.

I would rather never eat another strawberry for the rest of my life than support an industry that applies such toxic chemicals that it causes miscarriages in field workers.

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:48 am

Wednesday

Breakfast -- espresso, two slices of home made bread
Elevenses -- egg and cheese bagel, coffee
Lunch -- leftover lentil soup, a mango
Dinner -- home made mac-and-cheese, with green beans from the garden

I should probably say something about elevenses. I work a very physical job. I do manual labor. I get to work very early, and we have a scheduled break at eleven in the morning. If I'm really hungry, I'll eat something. Everyone in my workplace participates in this mini-meal, and everyone is slim.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:33 am

Hmm, I assumed the nausea was related to residual vertigo issues, though it did occur mildly before the event, too. What other sypmtoms led you to find out you had hepatitis?

I can imagine your wanting a mid-morning meal. I, too, have to eat pretty early because the first bell for class rings at 7:05 a.m. and lunchtime isn't until 12;30 pm. I never thought I could get used to such a long break, but there's always milky coffee. Yet I sometimes don't even need that. However, teaching is not calorie-intensive. (Your breakfast sounds rather light, too, but that probably works better.)

A retired colleague (male) who was back on campus as a substitute joined my little lunch group. He is tall and thin. He brought a big bag of M & M's that he had been eating out of, the top all rolled up and clipped closed. Then he started popping them after his entree and he kept offering all the women at the table the candy and no one took any. I wondered what it is like to have chocolate often at lunch and not end up going overboard. But that is not my lot in life and my lot with food is pretty good these days.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:48 am

Regarding my thrilling adventures with hepatitis: I was sick as hell, carsick (which I'd never been before or since), and working like crazy. I went to my doctor, and she ordered a lot of blood tests. I think she was as surprised as I was when I tested positive for hep A.

I really wouldn't wish this on anyone. The route of infection is so disgusting, and feeling like you're going to barf all the time sucks. Having no energy us miserable. The wracking liver pains, if I ate anything remotely fatty were just agonizing. Also, not being able to touch a drop of alcohol is a bummer.

I have to say that my local county health department was great. They tested all of my immediate coworkers and family (all negative), and they inspected every restaurant at which I had eaten. Amazingly, nobody else in the entire county got hep A, which was a very good thing.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:58 am

Got no liver pains, yet. I feel pretty good most of the time now.

I already don't drink because of other issues, though it's not outright verboten for me. I don't mind, really. But it's disconcerting when you absolutely can't.

Now if someone said I can't eat sweets, I'd be reeling-- for awhile.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:17 am

Sweets are usually pretty fatty. I couldn't eat them for months. Ditto cheese.

I'm not suggesting that you have hepatitis. I'm just saying that prolonged nausea is something to take seriously.

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:11 pm

Thursday and Friday were both successful.

I'm finding I'm less obsessive about recording my successful meals. As long as I don't get sloppy, that's fine.

tobiasmom

hey

Post by tobiasmom » Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:51 pm

Awesome! Have a great weekend. Hope you have something fun planned!

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:05 pm

Thanks!

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:13 pm

Saturday

Breakfast -- latte, home baked bread with butter and jam, a pluot, a banana
Lunch -- a beautiful mixed salad, lettuce, avocado, beans, corn, rice and cheese, cantaloupe, espresso
Dinner -- mac-and-cheese with peas

I dug up part of my vegetable garden and planted some of the seedlings for fall crops (lettuce, broccoli raab), took care of my friend's animals, and checked in on her beehive. This was the hive that some j@ck@ss sprayed, and amazingly the surviving bees were doing okay. Went to a bunch of estate sales.

And you'll notice that without really trying, I had NO SNACKS, NO SWEETS, AND NO SECONDS.
Last edited by Who Me? on Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

milliem

Post by milliem » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:36 pm

Well done on your S-less S day! :) Your meals always sound beautiful.

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:41 pm

Thanks!

While I struggled with hunger when I first started No S, I never felt deprived.

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:09 pm

Who Me? wrote:And you'll notice that without really trying, I had NO SNACKS, NO SWEETS, AND NO SECONDS.
How long did it take to get to this point in your journey? I'm 3 months in and my weekends are terrible all my doing of course..

gk

Post by gk » Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:23 pm

Very inspirational!

That's when you know you have true success....you're not even trying and you feel content. You've shown that it CAN be done.

Way to go!!
SW (as of 3/25/13): 172 lbs.
CW: 171 lbs.

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:10 pm

Sunday

Did over three hours of kayaking with some friends. Great exercise, really fun. We took a picnic out of the river.

Also, I picked up another swarm of bees.

Breakfast -- latte, a bowl of cereal
Lunch -- avocado sandwich, boiled egg, half a small pumpkin muffin, plum, two small cookies
Dinner -- leftover mac-and-cheese, garden stringbeans, a beer, 3 small cookies

Again, hardly any foolish eating!

Monday

My crazy little cat Smog was playing too hard, and really tore up my hand. I had to put surgical dressing on, because regular bandaids were too small. Hurt like crazy. I had 2 1/2 "therapeutic" cookies.

Breakfast -- latte, banana, gigantic peach
Lunch -- veggie burrito
Dinner -- sauted zucchini, polenta, lentils 2 1/2 small cookies

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:56 pm

Hi, I was just curious as to why you are reviewing old posts and commenting on them..not sure if you realize that it is pushing the current active ones to the bottom. Most of those people are gone and the people here are trying to keep tabs on newer posts?

Just wondering..

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:12 pm

I think that the content of these conversations are really valuable. The observations are wise. And I think I'm not the only person who could benefit from browsing through these earlier posts.

What's the expression about those who fail to learn from the mistakes of history being doomed to repeat them?

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:43 pm

Tuesday

Breakfast -- latte, 2 slices bread with butter and home made blackberry jam
Lunch -- leftover zucchini and lentils, banana, bread
Dinner -- home made white pizza with spinach

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:38 am

I was actually thinking how nice it was to have older posts I hadn't seen being brought up for easy viewing. Different tastes, I guess. But I say thanks. :)

And homemade blackberry jam -- that sounds awesome!

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:40 am

mmm good point.... ;)

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:19 pm

Thanks dot the encouragement I have to laugh at myself sometimes!
I like your blog. I can't imagine the logic of some people......what stupid lengths they go to. The only reaso I could possibly imagine having a problem with a neighbor keeping bees is if a kid of mine were deathly allergic and even then the most I would do is ask questions.
My family teases me because I get stung very regularly by bees and wasps, last fall it was at least once a week!
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139
Willingness without action is fantasy

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:45 pm

Fear is a funny thing. Amazingly, it looks like the remaining bees will survive.

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:38 pm

GREAT news about the bees, Who me! :D :D
No S-er since December 2009
Streamlined S Days: 6/25/12
SW: 170 /CW: 127
Weight loss to date: 43 lbs

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:56 pm

Wednesday

Caught the cold/fever that's been going around at work. Stayed home.

Breakfast -- two slices of bread, cereal with milk and 1/4 of a peach
Lunch -- small pbj
Dinner -- sauted garden beans with mushrooms and onions on rice, barely-sweet zucchini bread

Gallons of watered-down orange-mango juice, water with lemon, and a hot toddy.

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:43 am

Thursday

Dragged myself into work, to see if the crisis du journey needed my attention. It didn't, and I came home and went back to bed. Slept much of the afternoon.

Breakfast -- latte, and that deliciously non-sweet zucchini bread
Lunch -- leftover veggies and rice, zucchini bread
Dinner -- 1 1/2 pinto bean burritos

Lots of watered down juice, hot lemony tea and water.

SkyKitty

Post by SkyKitty » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:41 am

Hope you feel better soon. All your yummy, healthy meals must surely help.
When nothing goes right...go left.

determined

Post by determined » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:56 am

Hope your cold is short & you feel better soon!

janie
"Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day."
Winnie the Pooh

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:10 pm

Thanks folks! I am feeling somewhat better. This was a strange cold. Half my coworkers got it. It's rare to see so many people stay home.

milliem

Post by milliem » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:41 pm

Glad you're feeling better :)

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:09 pm

Friday

Went into work for half a day. Came home sick.

Ate reasonably well. Nothing interesting. I can't really remember.