a little help from my friends, please!

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Pangelsue2

Post by Pangelsue2 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:44 am

I can smell that perfume now. We are all rooting for you.
I'm baaaack.

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:52 pm

Mmmm, perfume.... :) The sweet smell of success, right?

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:06 pm

I know, I know!! I can almost smell it too!! :roll: got a walk in early today so that is taken care of..breakfast and lunch down..just dinner and the evening. Then just Saturday and Sunday..and one of them can be an S day but I will still have to walk... I"m gonna do this!!!
"If you realized how powerful your thoughts are, you would never think another negative thought."
Peace Pilgrim

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:21 pm

I"m gonna do this!!!

Yes, you are. Isn't it empowering to know that no one can stop you? :wink:
Berry

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:21 pm

Only two days to go.. no S days left...must walk 30 min. each day,,
YES I CAN!!
"If you realized how powerful your thoughts are, you would never think another negative thought."
Peace Pilgrim

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:41 am

Brilliant work, Grammy - keep going for those last two days bringing the sweet smell of success (or whatever your new perfume is called... :D )

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:49 pm

o-n-e..one..one more day to go!! I went down to the farmers' market in town this morning and decided to just put my purchases in the car and walk downtown for my 30 minute walk. The town was fairly empty and I didn't window shop..I "walked for the sake of walking". that was a nice change from walking around my neighborhood. I think I will try to take at least one walk per week in a different local..just to mix it up a bit. tomorrow is the day :wink: I'll open that perfume Monday morning, I'm sure!!
Peace Pilgrim

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:52 am

go grammy!!! :)
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:29 pm

I am going to visualize myself as a winner (still don't get the prize though) even though I have today to complete successfully. I want to thank the lot of you for giving me so much support. I knew I needed to have friends on call if I was going to succeed. I like to think I can do everything myself and do it along and.. that is just not the reality at all! :roll: When IDK put the words "self-sabotaging" to what I have been doing, a :idea: moment for me!! Of course that is what I had been doing!! Why didn't I see that?? :shock: Then to have everyone jump in and just give me the push I needed... WOW! I know that so many of you have been where I am..or are there now and that is why this is a wonderful community!! I am going to get through this 21 days..and the next and the next. I am not going to be perfect but, I will figure out what is going on in my head each step along the way ..with a little help from my friends, that is! :D
Peace Pilgrim

Pangelsue2

Post by Pangelsue2 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:02 pm

I can smell the perfume from here. Way to go, Grammy. Enjoy the sweet smell of success.
I'm baaaack.

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:22 am

I did it!!! and you can too!! :wink:
Peace Pilgrim

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:51 pm

Can you believe after all the hoopla from me, I haven't opened the perfume yet! :roll: I have been just too busy this morning! I did some "good-enough" cleaning and a little laundry.. got in my 30 min. walk and some yoga stretches on my own..did some of the prep work for dinner and.. whew.. am now ready to shower and then put on my perfume and head out to do errands.
I looked at my calendar and the next 4-5 weeks appear to be full of company and events. I've chosen to stick with my goals of No-Sing and walking but I am going to just say "as much as possible" and not make myself crazy. I am going to chart my meals and walking this week just to remind myself what I'm suppose to be doing. Company will show up the middle of next week and then I will be very busy for 2 weeks or so..and then another batch comes through. I am pretty sure I will have everything under control.. I just won't be posting much!
Breakfast: cream-of-wheat w/dried fruit and nuts and a bit of sugar and milk.
Lunch: 1/2 slice rye toast with cheese and sardines and mustard/1/2 banana
Dinner: (planned) soft taco w/beef and veggies//raw veggies/fresh fruit salad
walking: 30 minutes
Peace Pilgrim

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:37 pm

I have retired three times, at least, but always miss the atmosphere (I am a legal secretary). I have the pefect set up now, three days a week, M T and W (which means I am off for five straight days when there is a Monday holiday, plenty of time for a getaway should we choose to do so.

I love the office, my boss(es), my co workers, the clients, the location and the fact that I get to dress up in my three inch heels so often (I LOVE shoes) :roll:
Berry

Pangelsue2

Post by Pangelsue2 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:10 am

It sounds like you will be having a wonderful end to June and into July. I think it is a great idea that you are sort of mapping out your plan ahead of time to stay on track and not have to try to fit in your walking etc. on the fly. Smart thinking. I am sure you will have a great time and it will be made even greater by staying focused. And you will be smelling great the whole time. It doesn't get any better than that.
I'm baaaack.

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:09 am

FYI: success smells like Dior's Escala a Portofino!! I love this scent! It reminds me of Florida when the tangarine's are in blossom..aaahhhhh!
Hubby is finally feeling like healthy self again so we have had a busy two days. Yesterday, we went shopping at a mall about an hour from us. This is not something we do well together but we came home still talking to each other so that is a good thing! Unlike Strawberry, I do not like to dress up..am happiest in jeans..or capris..and a tee (I do like tees with a little bling though!) and do not miss working. I thought I would miss both (dressing up and work) but, it turns out, I am happy as a clam (whatever that means!) I never liked to shop and so tend to go into one store and, if I find things I like, I just buy everything and am good for the season. That's what I did. In 1 1/2 hours I bought 10 summer pants/capris and 7 tops. mixy-matchy stuff.. I saved more than I spent and I'll carry most of this to FL so I don't have to shop there. Good for me! Hubby found some nice stuff too.. he is more of a shopper than me and I go crazy while he ponders over purchases. We went together because I had only been to this mall once and he had never been there and wanted to see it. That's done..whew!
It is really hot and humid here. although we walked a lot yesterday, it was not "walking for walking sake" so I won't count it. We ate late meals and restaurant food, which is always saltier than I am used to, and so my weight was up a bit this morning. I still like to weigh in daily because it gives me a picture of what makes my weight go up.. and down.. quickly. Yesterday was a no real "walking" and restaurant meals for lunch and dinner. ..and not as much water as I usually drink. today will be home-cookin', lots of water, and a DVD walk in the air conditioned house. It is all good from here!
:wink:
Peace Pilgrim

Pangelsue2

Post by Pangelsue2 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:27 pm

That shopping trip sounds just like us. We both like shopping for the house or yard but when it comes to clothes, he is the slow shopper. I have often said that if styles wouldn't change, I would buy enough clothes to last the rest of my life and never clothes shop again.
I'm baaaack.

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:35 pm

You are so right Sue!I buy very basic stuff so I can update it with jewelry, a scarf, a purse, a jacket... We do shop for house and yard together and are usually on the same page about what we need...that is good!
This week has been green but not the bright shiny green of a woo woo success. It is just a success.
I am having to work on keeping every day in check and can see :twisted: trying to take over my thoughts! I am going to win though!
I am thinking about all the company I have coming through in the next few weeks and I am going to use my vacation strategies to keep me on track. I have started to wear the bracelet that I wore all the time when we traveled west for 6 weeks last summer. It really kept me focused! I'm going to practice having conversations in my head (since I won't be online much)with all of you who have been helpful to me...and i am going to try to keep myself as stress free as possible. We will be doing take outs.. delegated kitchen jobs..paper plates..sandwiches. The house will be "clean enough" no matter what state it is in. I am going to begin my day with a quiet cup of coffee no matter what! I am going to promise myself a lovely pair of gold earrings .. medium-large hoops..if I can get through all this without going crazy with my food choices. I think I will be OK! :wink:
Peace Pilgrim

Pangelsue2

Post by Pangelsue2 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:38 pm

The plan you outline sounds relaxed and doable. Vacations are hard because we have all been connecting vacations with wild abandon on the food for so long, it takes some focus to relax and enjoy but not have it turn into one long S day. Best of luck and think "earrings, earrings, earrings..."
I'm baaaack.

kccc

Post by kccc » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:16 pm

Look forward to seeing a pic of those earrings!

:)

tobiasmom

hey

Post by tobiasmom » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:09 am

I know what you're saying. I have some company coming throughout the summer, and normally I would just go off track and eat with wild abandon cuz I'm "on vacation" too! ha. Let's just do our very best to enjoy the company more...and the food at mealtimes!

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:04 pm

If I could figure out how to post pictures, I sure would! My son and granddaughter are going to be here for two weeks beginning tomorrow and I am going to make one of them sit down with me and walk me through the process! So I may have a batch of strange pictures popping up during my lessons.
I agree that life is just too short to make the "food" part of it a main focus and miss out on the fellowships. I agree with KCCC when she talked about making foods for her son's BD ..and realizing that sending out for pizza would have made the kids just as happy. I gotta remember food is NOT love..love is love!
I'm hearing that granddaughter (15) is a vegetarian again.Fine with me. She and her parents were vegetarians for the first 6 years of her life but no one made a big fuss about it (the best approach, I think) and she gradually added meat to her diet..bacon was her downfall, followed by ham! But animal protein never was a big part of her diet..or theirs...and now she has decided to eliminate it altogether. Soups have always been her favorite dish and I am sure we will be making several veggie soups during her stay. I have a gazillion veggie recipes with grilled veggies topping the summer menu.
I think I am set!
(maybe I need gold hops in several different sizes..mmm...)
Peace Pilgrim

Pangelsue2

Post by Pangelsue2 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:54 pm

If you are ordering out, it is also hard to beat veggie pizza. Enjoy her visit. My daughter was a vegetarian around that same age. Now she quite the opposite. She eats far more meat than we do.

I too am going to have to get lessons on adding pictures to this system and to my emails. I keep meaning to learn and then don't.

Thanks for posting on my thread. I really quite love choosing my S days. So far, it has worked well for me just 2 weeks in. I also like the idea of s days and S days. The fewer S ones the better for us. I am going to steal the idea of food is not love, love is love. I will remember that one. I often try to show people how much I love them by cooking elaborate meals for them. And yet several people have told me through the years that they are intimidated to have us over because they can't live up to the standard of the meal and menu. I usually tell them that cooking is my hobby and I like sharing my hobby with them. But recently, I have started making simpler menus and enjoying the company more. I will save the gourmet experiments for our friends who enjoy that kind of thing or for very special occasions.
By the way, you mentioned Wosnes. We used to post a lot back in the day. I didn't know she was still here. I will have to look for her.
I'm baaaack.

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:55 pm

They will be glad to see you. :)

Saw this comic yesterday, and had to laugh... yes, sometimes this is me. And maybe you too?

http://www.chron.com/apps/comics/showCo ... &name=Zits

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:04 pm

I saw that too..and thought of me!! Apparently, there are many of us out there! Will we ever learn??? lol
Peace Pilgrim

Pangelsue2

Post by Pangelsue2 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:52 am

Cute cartoon.
Thanks for the comments on my thread. I actually do like purple a lot and feel very sassy when I wear purple but I never made the connection before. Neat poem. I think when we reach this age, we have earned the right to live it our way. I want very much to do No S but there are several things I have tweaked that I will stick with. One (which I got from you) is choosing my S days. Being retired, I am no longer ruled by the clock or weekdays and weekends. Most of the time, probably out of habit and also due to hanging out with people who are still working, parties seem to end up on the weekends but more and more, I am not feeling like my social life is relegated to the weekend. The other thing I feel really good about is getting rid of the word failure. It is a setback and it makes me feel a lot more in control and less like a loser. Even the last time I was here, I didn't like that word failure.
I'm baaaack.

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:16 pm

I think we all should just be who we are and let the chips fall where they may!
i had a little PM conversation with Bright Angel and have decided to go back to wearing purple and red..a combination I gave up because the "Hatters" took it as their own. A silly thing but...
Today was a bonus day for me. The family members coming in from CA were delayed and so won't be here until tomorrow. There is always something else I could do,cook, or clean but.. nope, I am taking this day as a gift and enjoying the peace and quiet and am doing nothing special.
Of course, my mind has been working..on ways to end my self-sabotage habit. I think recognizing it is a good first step. I think I will also now recognize that little voice that tries to entice me to snack :twisted: i just need to be able to override it with other thoughts. As you can see, I am still working on that plan! the phrase "Just hang up the phone" keeps popping into my head whenever I'm wondering how to get around the sabotage. that's what I'm going to have to do..refuse to accept the messages being sent and "just hang up that phone"!
Peace Pilgrim

tobiasmom

hey

Post by tobiasmom » Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:00 pm

I hope you're having a great time with your family!

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:00 pm

have been busy with family. Really enjoying it but am also zapped! Everyone left around 2pm and won't be back until 2pm tomorrow. Hubby and I relaxed (collapsed) the afternoon away and then went to a local eatery for dinner. I was more tired than hungry so brought home most of my dinner and am in my nightgown at a little after 7pm!
I made wonderful grilled split shrimp and huge scallops for dinner one night along with fresh corn and a tomato salad..and used the leftover seafood in a pasta dish (added mushrooms and pea pods) the next. Yummy! Used the left over corn to make a cold corn salad for a picnic tomorrow and so am ready for that. Life is good but I am on over load!
Peace Pilgrim

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:06 pm

Sounds like you are having a wonderful (and exhausting) time. I know what you mean about collapsing when they leave. I am still tired from last week's trip, physically tired.

Your food sounds yummy. :wink:
Berry

Pangelsue2

Post by Pangelsue2 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:44 pm

Glad you are having a great time with your company and grabbing rest and recuperation where you can. I like your idea of hanging up the phone on that little voice in your head that talks about sab0tage. Good image. I also stole a quote from someone here who quoted a person on Extreme Makeover who said about weight loss: Until the excuses stop, nothing can change. I thought that was great too. That support sheet of ideas on my refrig is growing from all of the great ideas on this forum.
Continue to enjoy your family and I hope we get to see pictures.
I'm baaaack.

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:30 pm

Whew! a much needed day of rest today.. I never even got dressed! Everyone left the afternoon of the 5th and I spent the rest of that day organizing the leftover food in the frig and gathering dishes and damp towels. Yesterday, I did the laundry, vacuuming, outdoor maintenance, and generally getting ready for the return of the troops! Today, I decided to do absolutely nothing! Tomorrow morning, I will be going to the grocery store to replenisSh supplies and then just one granddaughter will be returning for the weekend. She and I have some special plans in place. Everyone will probably be back on Sunday.
Oh my... Sunday is our 35th Anniversary!! I guess we will have a celebration of sorts. (I am not good at remembering dates so I really am surprised and had to check the calendar!!)
My weight is staying about the same.. I am neither stressing about food nor eating a lot of "extras"...NoS is a way of life..
Peace Pilgrim

Pangelsue2

Post by Pangelsue2 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:07 pm

Happy 35th Anniversary! Quite an accomplishment. Hope you have a special celebration and enjoy your special day. It sounds like you are doing a great job of staying on track too. You go, girl!
I'm baaaack.

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:33 pm

It is quiet here..and empty! Hubby and I are sitting in different rooms in silence... a good silence, if you know what I mean! The last of the kids and grandkids left around 3 hours ago and I am ready for a "piece of peace".
We had a wonderful time with everyone here. Our anniversary celebration was definitely a celebration! We have a blended family and our youngest three grandchildren are are around the ages of our blended 5 who were 15..12..6..5..2 when we married. Those early years were really something!!
I just made a big pot of white bean soup.. comfort food.. for us to have for dinner. We have been eating very healthy and yummy meals but I have not been drinking the amount of water I usually drink. We've had desserts and wines with dinner but nothing really over the top. I think I will be OK with my weight. Tomorrow I plan to get the house back in order and the laundry caught up and I hope get a "walk for walking sake" walk in.. probably first thing in the morning. Life is good!
Peace Pilgrim

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:25 pm

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY, Grammy G! Your post(s)are a joy!
No S-er since December 2009
Streamlined S Days: 6/25/12
SW: 170 /CW: 127
Weight loss to date: 43 lbs

Pangelsue2

Post by Pangelsue2 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:34 pm

So glad your visits with family were all you hoped for and that you managed to stay on plan as well. What a wonderful success story. Hope you enjoyed your soup and your walk.
I'm baaaack.

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:06 pm

Sounds like a wonderful visit and anniversary. Congrats! :)

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:47 am

:cry: :cry: and another :cry: !!! Complacency is a giant step towards failure!!
I spent yesterday grazing my way through all the left overs... :cry: Salmon and veggies pasta/olives stuffed with blue cheese/little peppers stuffed with ham and cheese/pickled beets/breakfast egg casserole/triple chocolate torte/Coke/..need I go on?? :cry: All this for no good reason that I can come up with! Of course my weight is up.. I could have just opened the salt shaker and eaten that!
So..I made myself get on the scale..i made myself begin a new page in my 21 Day journal..I made myself write this.
It is a beautiful morning and so I am going to make myself go for a walk right now and go on from there. What is done is done but I can be in charge of today! I am going to kick :evil: off my back and move on!
Beginning that earring count down right now!! (Whew, that felt good!)
Peace Pilgrim

Pangelsue2

Post by Pangelsue2 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:24 pm

Best of luck and you are right to brush it off and move on. That decision deserves congratulations and a pat on the back too. I read something wonderful yesterday and I am going to put it on my thread as a reminder for me but I thought you might enjoy it too.

You learn wisdom from failure
much more than from success.
We often find out what will do
from finding out what will not do
and probably he who never made a mistake,
never made a discovery.

Those earrings are waiting for you down the road a little ways, I am sure.
I'm baaaack.

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:38 pm

Way to "mark it and move on"!

Go, Grammy G!

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:37 pm

I am going to make a copy of that, Sue! What a great message to remember!
Getting back on the right path wasn't very hard this time. I think each time we direct ourselves onto the right path, especially if done without guilt or "now you have to", gets easier because we know this is the best path for us. That "mark it and move on" has been a life-saver to me!
Today, I'm getting a haircut and doing errands and having lunch w/a friend. Yesterday was a real honest-to-goodness work-til-you-drop day and today will just be fun. Yep, I need that and yep, I'm wearing my Dior perfume! :wink:
Peace Pilgrim

tobiasmom

hey

Post by tobiasmom » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:07 pm

Yay for fun day!!!!

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:03 pm

.. and it was a fun day! I absolutely love my new haircut (when I said to the hair dresser that it was "cute", he said, " No, G., this edgy!" so now I am an "edgy" grammy!!
Went to a Greek/Italian place for lunch and ordered the grilled eggplant sandwich on a ho-made rosemary roll. Got a eggplant parm on an Italian roll. It past times, I would have eaten it anyway..even though I really don't eat fried food or much red sauce. (people pleaser that I am!) This time I sent it back and got what I wanted. Then I called the waitress over and told her to box the parm sandwich for me..ding..ding..ding hubby's dinner!! I had some left over soup in the frig .. all I was going to want and that huge sandwich a little soup would be something he would love and that meant I didn't need to stop at the market and could continue my fun day!! Whoo hoo!!
This morning I am taking edgy self to the farmers' market before I go to the grocery store. It is a beautiful day here and I hope to spend most of it outdoors. smiles all around!
Peace Pilgrim

tobiasmom

hey

Post by tobiasmom » Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:08 pm

Wish I could see the haircut! I bet it looks awesome!

That eggplant sandwich (both of them) sounds delish! Enjoy your weekend! Farmers Market is always invigorating! All that fresh gorgeous produce!

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:59 pm

You go EdgyGrammy :D
Berry

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:31 am

Another beautiful day here! We spent the morning visiting the gardens of one of hubby's former students who grows and propagates day lilies as a hobby. Just breathtaking! Also wonderful to see so many butterflies flitting from blossom to blossom. We decided to do a brunch at Perkin's Restaurant. I had a senior meal and hubby had one of their new platters. Unbelievable! Two large biscuits full of ham and slathered with white gravy and cheese..2 eggs any style..bacon..andpotatoes! He actually ate it all except for one of the biscuits...he did eat all the ham out of it. Needless to say, we had a veggie salad for dinner! I will say we were both inspired by the beautiful gardens and, when we finally got home, we worked in our yard all afternoon. Hubby may go back to get some day lilies that were offered to us. Our problem is that the deer love the buds and we will probably never see the blossoms! We will probably give it try anyhow.
Going out for breakfast tomorrow to a little coffee shop that offers wonderful oatmeal! Yum!
Mosquitoes are eating my sweaty limbs so.... off I go!
Peace Pilgrim

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:55 pm

Really enjoyed my oatmeal breakfast w/a special friend. We spent almost two hours catching up and making plans... the oatmeal was secondary but still yummy! Did some errands..made some tuna salad full of veggies for lunch and I am still on a "friendship high" from this morning!
Yesterday, I read an article that quoted a book, "How We Choose to be Happy" stating 5 ways to feel better. Numbers 2-5 were pretty "yeah, yeah..I know that-ish. ( Be appreciative//give of yourself//tell the truth//live passionately). But..and a big but at that..number 1 got me thinking: Set intentions, not goals and let go of outcomes. I think this has always been a problem for me. I remember writing about Dr. Phil(yep..Dr. Phil!! :roll: )saying that when dieting, you can count calories til the cows come home and that is under your control, but the amount of weigh you actually lose is not under your control. I must have needed to hear that because it stayed with me..and here is the same thought spoken a different way and here I am once again..holding onto that..mmmm
I'm going to have to let this swim around in my brain for a bit and see where it takes me but it must be something I need to work on...
Peace Pilgrim

Pangelsue2

Post by Pangelsue2 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:40 pm

Very interesting thought. I set my first goal since returning to No S this morning and I have been kind of nervous about it ever since. I have never liked setting goals because if I don't reach them, I tend to tail spin and feel like a failure. I think I will change it to an intention and try to let go of the outcome.
The goal setting was probably coming from visit with some friends on Friday The wife had gone on a very strict diet under a doctor's care and has lost 20# in a very short time eating only 800 calories a day and using food replacement drinks and bars. She is feeling very good about it. She said she could eat some foods eventually but that the way she is eating will be her new style if she stays on this diet. On the way home, my husband and I talked about it and I said that maybe I would have been tempted by something like that in my 20's or 30's but at my age, pleasure is also a factor and that is why I like where I am on No S. I want to be healthy but I also want to live the rest of my life and experience all the pleasures it has to offer. So thanks for the intention/outcome thought. It makes me feel like I am back on the right track for me.
I'm baaaack.

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:31 am

Sue, I feel the same way@ diets.. and if we had "met" No S when we were in our 20/30 years, we wouldn't be were we are weight wise today! I hope your friend doesn't do rebound eating somewhere down the line. i just get a little tense when I hear someone is really restricting their food to such an extreme degree. I know there are folks who can do that and do it well and cheerfully (Bright Angel comes to mind) but.....
I have let the Intention vs. Goal conundrum do some brain-swimming and I have concluded that for me there is only a difference of commitment connected with the words. The first thing that came to mind was: " The road to hell is paved with good intentions" gulp! Could I replace the word hell with weight gain? Yep! If I say, "the road to weight gain is paved with good goals..I don't see that as quite as true a statement. I could go on and on with these crazy arguments but :idea: bottom line: I'm playing word games with myself and not focusing on the job at hand. I'm in this to be healthy and lose some pounds.. not worry about what word best applies to the actions I am trying to do. "Actions speak louder than words" is the little saying I need to remember! :roll:
About ten years ago, I had a personal trainer to help me refine my workouts and encourage me to reach my potential. I amazed myself! I am looking to these boards as my 'personal trainer' to, not just encourage me, but to point out ways I can improve myself and reach my goals. (Yes, I', going back to the word "goal".)
So, I am back where I started.. needing a "little help from my friends" :roll:
and my intention is to meet my goal of eating three meals of reasonably healthy food filling only one plate per meal. To help me reach this goal, I will post my daily meals and look to friends to help me find strategies that will help me succeed. I will do my best each day . :roll: (why wouldn't I??)
Whew, that was a lot of words to say very little! :oops:..or was it???
Peace Pilgrim

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:58 pm

I was reading Bright Angel's blog last evening (which I haven't done for about three weeks) and her July 17th entry was written, by way of the universe knowing what I needed, just for me..I am sure! She was discussing three myths and the reality associated with them @ dieting. Pow! they really hit home w/me! The third one was exactly what I needed to hear because I have been pondering why I tend to "fall off the wagon" when: I reach a goal/company leaves/I return from a vacation where I have done a great job with my eating/ect. ...and the magic word is: planning!!
Now, somewhere in my being ..did I know this?..how could I not?? It is like the psychiatrist having to tell me "hang up the phone" when my ex calls to badger me. I had to know that before he said it.. too easy a concept not to know!
Planning is not a part of my core being..I must work at it and, truth be told, I resent having to lead a planned life and rebel at it every chance I get!
That is going to have to change because I believe Bright Angel, in all her wisdom, has chosen to review a topic that is a problem area for more than just little ol' me!
My plan is to do more planning! New batch of company coming on Monday and I plan to, not only be ready for those days, but have my food choices as I like them for the days before they come (no cleaning out the frig onto a plate and having an unsatisfying meal just because that is what is there) and the days after they leave. Confession; last night for dinner I had chips and dip (not even my fav.),left over baked beans (mixed with left over garbanzo beans,left over corn, and left over BBQ sauce and a little left over chopped onion)..actually that was pretty good and I will probably make it again...not the point...the point is that food is not what I would consider a "good dinner"..I had raw carrots and peppers in the frig.. lettuce..tomatoes..cheese. but, for some reason, I deemed myself only worthy of left-overs! (Hubby had two left over hot dogs and rolls, some of the bean mixture (he liked it) and a tomato. (I do not like hot dogs)
Knowledge is power and I guess I am getting more powerful by the day! Since I am having time to reflect on all these issues, solutions seem to be more available to me. Soo....maybe there is an up side to scrubbing toliets and polishing furniture after all! :shock:
Peace Pilgrim

Pangelsue2

Post by Pangelsue2 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:26 pm

Good insights, Grammy. I couldn't agree more. I also fight against planning even though I have forced myself for many years to do it for our dinners and actually for our breakfasts, I have avoided it totally for lunches since I retired a year ago. I think that has allowed me to finish off what appeals to me in the guise of using up leftovers. That translates to a lunch of potato salad, jello and beans which were all high in fat and sugar or something like leftover pizza. Leftover dessert hits my plate like that too. The plan is the thing I guess.

Also, you are right in your assessment of intention rather than goal. I love the "road to hell" analogy. In point of fact, yesterday, I intended to stay N and and didn't. Hmmmm. Or to quote Karate Kid again "Karate yes or karate no, no Karate maybe". We will get there as soon as all the excuses are gone, I guess. How did we get so good at the excuses? Years of practice. How do we get past them? Years of practice.
I'm baaaack.

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:41 pm

I'm tellin' ya, Sue..we are sisters! I also planned breakfasts for years..I would hang the kids' lunch menu schedule on the frig and add my breakfast plans for the family for each day of the month! I'd put the dinner plans there too so that I wouldn't be planning the same foods for dinner that they had for lunch! Evert Sunday, I would make sandwiches and freeze them and make up bags of veggies and cookies so that anyone who wanted to pack a lunch could do it easily. I guess I was a pretty good planner at that..had to be or I would never have kept my sanity! :wink:
I saw your tuna/fig salad recipe and copied it down. I love figs!! They cost me $1.00 for one little fresh fig..when I can get them at all. I so envy Who her little orchard and garden too!! I have a kid in CA who has a fig tree and i know his family will love this too.
I am going to start my plan to plan right now and and begin keeping a record of my meals until such time as I feel confident enough to stop.
Wednesday, July 20th..day 1
breakfast: English muffin w/margarine and a dab of ho-made jam//black coffee
lunch: egg salad on grainy bread w/lettuce&tomato// raw carrots//1/2 banana//plain iced tea
dinner: (planned and ready to go)crab cake//mac&cheese//steamed squash, red peppers,and onions//blueberries&apple pieces//plain iced tea
I am committed to this plan!!
I will add any coffee or tea that I use as a "snack" but not water.
I will change the date color from red to green when I have determined I have had a successful day! Hoping, of course, for all greens!! :)
Peace Pilgrim

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:47 am

Thursday, July21..day 2

breakfast: 1 slice ww/raisin toast w. almond buttter and 1/2 banana slices//1/2 orange//black coffee
here comes the hard part for me..p-l-a-n-n-i-n-g..and sticking to the plan!!
lunch will be out w/ friends plan=salad of some kind, dressing on the side
dinner plans: chicken//sweet potatoes//broccoli //blueberries//plain iced tea

Ok..I have committed to a plan and I am going to stick to it today! :D
Peace Pilgrim

tobiasmom

hey

Post by tobiasmom » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:00 pm

Sounds like a wonderful day! I need to do some planning myself!

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:15 am

:oops: Yea..it did sound like a great day, didn't it?
Here is the sad :cry: reality: I decided to clean out the kitchen cabinets in the morning..It is my theory that doing a job you are in the mood to do makes it an easy task. Realized half way through that the job that I needed to get myself to lunch...basically put on lipstick and a sun hat (hair a mess) and perfume and left, still with thoughts of that yummy salad in my head and I was hungry! As I was going into the restaurant, one friend walked in with me and said, "Let me get your lunch today. I have a buy two for the price of one coupon!" S o, people-pleaser that I am, I said, "Oh how nice of you! That would be great ! let me get the drinks and tip!" We had beautiful salads but, I needed some protein and maybe a half a bagel or something. Veggies and fruit just weren't enough. I just couldn't say no to her! :? The day was downhill from there. i came home, hungry and still facing a kitchen with items all over the counters, floor, table..a mess! i hadn't grocery shopped on the way home as I had planned so I ended up eating cold mac n' cheese with ketchup. I got the kitchen cleared up but was a sweaty mess and didn't feel like showering and going to the market and, naturally, wasn't hungry. Made hubby a cheese and pepperoni tortilla (one tortilla..I slice of three different kinds of cheese and a few slices of pepperoni!..."found" items in far recesses of the frig!) I got a shower, read the newspaper, and was now hungry!
There was a tomato in the frig..along with pickles, jelly, the usual. I chose to look in the freezer and find ice cream, and cookies, and nuts, and cool whip. :twisted: You know the rest of the story :cry: :oops: so I guess there is no question: yesterday was a failure :evil:
I needed to have a plan B and probably C in place and ready to use.
Lesson learned! (I hope) marking and moving on....
Peace Pilgrim

mimi

Post by mimi » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:23 am

Oh Grammy! Didn't recognize your new thread in the week that I've been back! As for your situation yesterday...been there, done that, refuse to wear the T-shirt!
You can read on my thread about my craziness for the last 6 months. When will I ever learn...certainly at my age I should be old enough!
But mark it and move on is as good as it gets - today is a new day full of new opportunities.
Have a great Friday!

Mimi :D

P.S. I can soooooo relate to cleaning out cabinets! Haven't tackled my kitchen yet, but have been working on the closets, drawers, and bookshelves in the rest of the house!
Discovered NoS: April 16, 2007
Restarted once again: July 14, 2011
Quitting is not an option...
If you start to slip, tie a knot and hang on!
Remember that good enough is... good enough.
Strive for progress, not perfection!

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:35 pm

Good to see you here again, mimi! I was over to your place for a visit this morning! You would think we would be smart enough to just do this wouldn't you? No such luck!!

Friday July 22:D
breakfast: the end pieces of a loaf of ww cinnamon raisin bread topped with margarine//1/2 orange//black coffee
(I really did need to get to the grocery store!!)
lunch 1/2 ww bagel with turkey//iced tea
dinner whole rye bagel w. ham//iced tea

just too hot to think about food, even though I had swai (fish),brocolli, and sweet pot.fries in the frig and planned to serve for dinner. Just couldn't do it but I did have a plan #2 in place and so didn't turn to the snack/goodies route. I'm leanin'! :wink:
Peace Pilgrim

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:18 pm

Saturday, July 23 :D
breakfast: 1/2 banana//1/2 orange//black coffee
after eating nothing but bread and meat yesterday..this was a perfect breakfast!
lunch: ww sandwich round (100 cal.type)w.roast beef,cheese,lettuce, tomatoes//carrots/bread&butter pickles//iced tea (plain)
dinner: poached fish (swai)//couscous//steamed broccoli,red peppers, onions//cuke salad w. red wine vinegar//white wine
Since I chose to make the fish in the oven and it was too hot to eat on the patio or in the kitchen (our usual spot when there are only the two of us) we ate in the dining room. I got out the "good" wine glasses and had flowers on the table. What a difference that made! I know that surroundings mean a lot to me and this proved the point! I ate slower..enjoyed my food more..we had a looong conversation about many things. It was really very nice and something I am going to try to continue to do. It was worth hand washing two wine glasses!! :roll:
Peace Pilgrim

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:11 am

Sounds like a lovely dinner.

Don't be too envious of my fig trees. They're all babies, and it will be years before they bear fruit.

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:11 am

Who, I am still envious of the year round gardens you can have. How about your wonderful CA artichokes? I love those!! :? sigh..( I think my corn is better than your corn though!)
Good day today! :D Finally cooled off enough to make it reasonable to do some yard work without wilting. Company coming tomorrow for a few days.. always a challenge!
Sunday, July 24th :D
breakfast: English muffin w. margarine//1/2 orange//black coffee
lunch:ww sandwich round w. ham n cheese/letttuce/cukes//raw carrots//1/2 banana//plain iced tea
dinner: clean-out-the-frig soup (couscous,broccolli, squash, red peppers, onions, turkey in turkey broth)& clean-out-the-frig salad (greens,
cheese, salami, onions, cukes, tomatoes, celery w.white balsamic vinegar)//rose wine
Now I have room in the frig to put the supplies for the guests that will be here!
Peace Pilgrim

mimi

Post by mimi » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:19 am

I loved hearing about your "clean-out-the-fridge" soup and salad Grammy! We usually have one "clean-out-the-fridge" evening meal where we use up all the leftovers...they can accumulate over several days when you're only cooking for two, can't they!

Pangelsue2

Post by Pangelsue2 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:25 pm

Just catching up, Grammy. You are to be congratulated for your personal insights, rewarding yourself with a special haircut and special day out and for all your planning. Mixed in all that success was one day that was a setback. I think you are doing awesome. Keep up the great work.
I'm baaaack.

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:46 am

How can it be August? i am not ready for summer to be waning! I still haven't scrubbed the deck for summer!
I am not even going to give last week any more power by writing about it. Enough to say it was a week of lots of people here for three meals a day..plus snacks..friends bringing their "specialty" foods to share.. margaritas flowing.. :twisted: :twisted: :roll: moving on...
Monday day 1 again!
breakfast: fresh fruit salad/wonderful farm-fresh egg/ww English muffin/black coffee
lunch: ? (gotta hit the grocery store)
dinner:? fish of some sort/lots of veggies (will see what is at farm market)
I am going to get dressed and head out for a walk before it gets too muggy this morning. Then, I guess I must go to the farm market and grocery store. I hate putting away groceries but love knowing where items are when I go looking for them so I guess I can't turn this job over to hubby! :cry: I'm having coffee this afternoon with a dear friend at a favorite local coffee shop. Always great to have something fun to look forward to!
Peace Pilgrim

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:55 pm

Just stopping by to say good morning!

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:59 pm

Good luck Grammy - and thanks for your post on my thread :D
Babysteps, babysteps....
(And I'm sure you haven't scrubbed the deck because it wasn't necessary - weren't you only going to do 'good enough' this summer?)

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:45 am

Oh, IDK,..I wish I could agree that the deck really doesn't need to be scrubbed! In reality..it is green in places and not very safe when it is wet..in other words.. a mess! I know it is a major undertaking and decided today to not tackle the whole thing at once but to divide it into sections and do it in four days..beginning tomorrow! As I've mentioned before, hubby and I do not work well together so this is my job, and that is fine with me now that I have a plan in place.
I did have a very nice day today and, for the first time in a long time, feel like myself! No company coming, nothing broken, no appointments....I can just be me going about my life for a few days.
When I was writing my daily menu, I thought I would get to the market before lunch..nope... so:
lunch :arrow: almond butter and apple slices on ww bread/cabbage salad w.dried fruit/ my last 1/2 fig :cry:(I do enjoy a good fig!!)
dinner: :arrow: baked fish/baked sweet pot. fries/asparagus and red peppers/ tomato& cuke salad w. Greek yogurt dressing/wine
Seems like a pretty nice day to me!
It has taken me only three days to regroup after the last batch of company and get back to the place where I feel as though I am in control. I need to remember this feeling and remember that, when I am a little crazed and feeling so out of control, I can get myself back to a peaceful state in a few days. Baby steps..babysteps... babysteps.
Peace Pilgrim

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:24 pm

Once again, plans must be changed.. luckily, I am a flexible person (of mind ..NOT body!). Not able to work on deck or any outside projects.. raining again!
A good day to begin one of the books I bought over the weekend!
Yesterday's food
Breakfast: ww toast w.almond butter&banana slices//1/2 orange//black coffee
Lunch: fish and salad (left overs!) on tortilla// melon// plain iced tea
Dinner: (out) mixed drink/a few starters/salad/pasta/ glass of white wine//decafe coffee
Night eating: the left over pasta//a few Hershey kisses :twisted:
I should have just left the pasta at the restaurant. I only ate a few bites at the restaurant b/c I wasn't hungry after the small plate of starters (4 people sharing 2 servings) and the nice salad... my mistake.. :(
I looked at my paper food journal yesterday and realized that today ends a 21 day cycle that I like to use. so, today, I will look back at the 21 and see what I have learned and what I need to address... don't think that will be too hard to figure out.
I think having my ex sister-in-law (who is a dear friend) here and listening to her lament about all the trouble she is having dealing with her brother (my ex) just opened so many very old wounds. I was overwhelmed and reverted to my drug of choice..food. Ah well, that is in the past and I have the future to deal with now.
Peace Pilgrim

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:43 pm

Saturday morning..raining..dreary...not going to the farmers' market...once again a change of plans.
I had an Ok Thursday and a not-so-OK Friday. I am trying to figure out why. I think I was still in turmoil over how to deal with neediness of a dear friend. I need to just step away from the situation a bit and am trying to do that. Naturally (I am sorry to say it is natural yet for me), I turned to food.. even knowing in my head, "If hunger is not the problem, food is not the answer". I'm just not there emotionally yet.
I got up at 3:30 Friday morning and ate an English muffin and a bowl of dry cereal. :cry: I am not someone who gets up to eat in the middle of the night! Friday evening, I sat in the kitchen and ate 3 meatballs at 11pm. I know better than to stay in the kitchen when I am feeling fragile! :cry:
Here is what I have done to try to solve my problem(s). I have decided to give myself a few days before I return the phone call of above friend. I did talk to her husband (also a dear friend) who I could see was being driven crazy by the friend too. He was happy I called and we talked and he knows how I feel and we decided to "take with a grain of salt" any comments made by said friend until she gets herself pulled together. We are both going to suggest she get some professional aid and not rely on us for her therapy. Whew! I am so glad I called him!
Hopefully, with that off my plate, I can fill it with fresh fruits and veggies instead of the heaping bowls of guilt and anxiety I have been serving myself on a daily bases! :roll:

So: Thursday began my 21 day plan and here it is::

Back to the very basics: 3 plates/ 3 times a day/ two floating Ss a week..no carryovers//walking or serious labor daily
Thurs: :D
Fri: :oops:
Sat: S 8) (afternoon&dinner)
Sun: S 8) (afternoon&dinner)
Last edited by Grammy G on Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peace Pilgrim

kccc

Post by kccc » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:13 am

Grammy, be gentle with yourself over all the emotional eating. Mark it and move on... You know the drill. :)

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:47 am

Thanks, KCCC, I'm atryin"! As you well know, emotional eating is my downfall and I always think I should be "stronger" and just be able to rise above it. :roll: I know I still have lots of work to do on that front and, of course you are correct, I need to give myself the space I would give anyone else. Why, oh why, is there a disconnect when it comes to dealing with myself? :cry:
I'm going to make that call to "said friend" this morning and then maybe I will be able to let that whole episode go and move on.. maybe not... :( sigh
Peace Pilgrim

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:49 am

Well, fellow-noSers, it has been awhile since I have been here and my life has been about the same: hubby follows NoS with no problem (if hunger is not his problem, food is not his answer..simple as that!) and I continue to struggle w/the emotional side of eating.
We have managed to get away for a bit and vacationed in a rental w/a fig tree on the property. I was in heaven (ocean also nearby) and really enjoyed myself..and brought home a big bowl of figs which is now a small bowl of figs! :shock: i didn't take my computer with me and actually read every day and loved being lost in a book.
I thought about why I haven't been reading and I have concluded that I have lost myself on this noS site (and others) instead of losing myself in a novel: You have all become my novels!! (and I am spending way too much time being involved in your lives!!) By my nature, I am a nurturer. When I taught, every child in my class was mine to worry over from the first week of school. I find I am doing the same thing here..worrying over each and every one of you! ..and I need to let that go. I need to concentrate on just me and what I need to do. I need to put myself first. So, to help me meet that goal, I am not coming back to this site for...I would like to say a year. Of course, this is a simplified version of what I plan to do..mainly be involved in my life and not take on the problems or life of anyone else.
Wishing us all insights, confidence, and a safe journey.
Peace Pilgrim

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:54 pm

We'll miss you! But of course, we understand your choices.

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Sat May 26, 2012 11:27 pm

Oh my! just reading back through things I have said and..oh my! again!
I am back and, quick catch up.. the deck was professionally cleaned and stained along with all the deck furniture in March of this year... and the friend that I was concerned about was asked for a divorce by her husband a few months ago.she never shared how bad things were at home and i assumed she was the one who was a bit crazed by life... boy was I wrong!
My weight is right where it was when I left! I have been very busy (which is absolutely not an excuse) and just didn't make No S a priority. I hope to change that now.
I wrote a testimonial..really for my Husband who has done a fantastic job of observing No S rules and has a 30+ pound weight loss to show for it. My vision of us and food issues is kinda like Chicken Little meets GI Joe. He makes a goal and heads for it ...I make a goal and dance wildly in circles around it and reach out to touch it with a toe or finger to be sure it is still there and then dance some more...all the while declaring," OH, poor me!" Fun and exciting but not productive in the weight-loss area!
I have checked in on old friends here and will be checking in and reporting and, hopefully, this will be the time I "get it" and can march to the beat that will get me to my goal instead of having to make up my own beat and path that seem to lead me right back to where I started!
I CAN do this!
    [b]BEGINNING AGAIN DAY 1 GREEN !
    B: Strawberries, banana slices, Greek yogurt with a bit of honey,coffee
    L: cottage cheese, raw carrots, a little ham slice
    D: green salad w. mushrooms and peppers, roasted asparagus, ham and cheese melt on a w.w.tortilla, white wine

THE KITCHEN IS C-L-O-S-E-D until breakfast
    Last edited by Grammy G on Mon May 28, 2012 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Peace Pilgrim

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Sun May 27, 2012 11:09 am

A few things I have leaarned :!. If I stay away from yeast breads, my digestive system is much happier and I have lots more energy and stay "full" for longer periods of time. Flour without the added yeast added doesn't seem to affect me the same way. 2. I do a better job at sticking to my planned dinner menu if I do all the prep work early in the day, that keeps me out of the kitchen when I tend to snack while prepping and makes it easier to complete dinner cooking so I don't go off track.
    3. I have got to make myself get out of this chair in the morning.. put down the coffee cup and go out for a walk! I always feel better when I do that,,yet continue to NOT do it! Easier to drink coffee and read the paper.
    So these are going to be the things I am putting on my 21 day lists...one at a time because I know how I am! So...
    For this first 21 days, I will chart "vanilla" plus no yeast breads. I will try to do my other two items, but I am not going to chart them. Baby steps.
    DAY 2 of MY 21 Day Challenge begins...NOW!!
    GREEN!!
    Last edited by Grammy G on Mon May 28, 2012 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Peace Pilgrim

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Sun May 27, 2012 4:29 pm

Always lovely to see you back, Grammy. I know summer has arrived when you are posting.... :D
    As for you and your husband - I could have written the same post!
    Good luck on your challenges :D
    53 years old
    Average weight loss:
    May 18 - 2.45lbs

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Mon May 28, 2012 11:52 am

Thanks, IDK, it is always good to know there are others on the same page!...and it is so good to have you around! It is still true, al ittle help from my friends is a wonderful thing!
    Because of my having gout this winter, I am really trying to change to a diet (I'm using that word in a broad sense) that will help keep me gout free. It really is a healthy way to go so, it isn't going to be anything but good for me.
    I'm trying to eat more fruit and veggies and less animal protein. It seems that oatmeal and whole wheat may contribute to gout. That was my hardest thing to limit but I'm trying. My surprise was to find that I feel so much energy as I go down this road.. now if the weight will just fade away..

DAY 3 OF 21 SUCCESS!!!
    B: Banana and cotttage cheese with a bit of cinnamon on top// coffee
    L: veggie salad w.hard boiled egg/ orange slices
    D: turkey burger (no roll)/corn on cob/ tomato, lettuce,onion salad/ fresh pineapple slices.

I need to add tart cherry juice to the water I drink today.
    S day treat (maybe) brownie ..with a little ice-cream
    Last edited by Grammy G on Tue May 29, 2012 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Peace Pilgrim

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon May 28, 2012 9:34 pm

No wonder I haven't seen you around. It's been 9 months!

Okay, don't think you have to mother us too much. Promise to spend some of the time here updating us not only on your eating but on your reading.
    Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
    Age 69
    BMI Jan/10-30.8
    1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
    9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
    2 yrs flux 6/20 22
    1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

mimi

Post by mimi » Mon May 28, 2012 11:27 pm

Great to see you back Grammy G! Missed ya!

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Tue May 29, 2012 12:20 pm

Oh my,Oolala ..so I could have had a baby in the time I was MIA! Well, if I were 30 years younger maybe.
    Thanks Mimi for the welcome. You sound like you are having a wonderful time with those grandkids. I can hardly believe our oldest grandchild just graduated (with honors) from college! We still have some little ones around too but I (we) are learning to turn over the bulk of planning the 'entertainment" to our kids and entering the 'what do you want me to bring?" phase of grandparenting. It is good to see the kids step up, take charge, and carry through with family event planning. I can sit back with a cup of coffee (mornings), iced tea (before 4PM) or glass of wine (after 4.. we use the "it is 5 o'clock somewhere " rule) and just say.."Yep, ya done good!"
    So..here is the truth-be-told... I will be 70 (yikes) on my next birthday and Hubby will be 74. I can't believe that at all! Neither of us has any real health issues and we are very active. I tend to love haircuts just a little crazy, big earrings, bright colors, and expensive perfume/ fabulous soaps (can't help myself!). I now treat myself to all of the above..I've earned it! I "think"we are in our late 50s and that works for us unless we have ha houseful of people for a long weekend..then we tend to fade into our real age and go to hide out in our bedroom and have some quiet time by the third day.
    My plan is to get my weight to at least 15 pounds lighter by my 70th birthday... I have a little less than a year and I KNOW I can do it! And as I've said before, a little help from my friends is often just the thing I need to keep me on track. :wink:
    [b]THIS IS DAY FOUR AND WAS A SUCCESS[/b] :D :D :D :D
    Last edited by Grammy G on Thu May 31, 2012 11:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
    Peace Pilgrim

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed May 30, 2012 12:17 am

70 is the new 50.
    Age 69
    BMI Jan/10-30.8
    2 yrs flux 6/20 22
    1/21-23

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Wed May 30, 2012 3:01 am

Welcome back!
    Grammy G wrote:I wrote a testimonial..really for my Husband who has done a fantastic job of observing No S rules and has a 30+ pound weight loss to show for it. My vision of us and food issues is kinda like Chicken Little meets GI Joe. He makes a goal and heads for it ...I make a goal and dance wildly in circles around it and reach out to touch it with a toe or finger to be sure it is still there and then dance some more...all the while declaring," OH, poor me!" Fun and exciting but not productive in the weight-loss area!
    Isn't that the way it goes? Grrr... but good for them. Maybe we can learn from them and just do it! :wink:
    I guess this doesn't work unless you actually do it.
    Please pray for me

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Wed May 30, 2012 11:21 am

Oh, Oolala, I think your are right! I cannot believe I've been here so long!
    I keep telling my hair guy that, if I were a teen right now, I would have blue hair and wear scads of eye makeup..he says ,"How about just a tiny streak of blue"... I'm thinking about it. Maybe I will try a fake tie in thingy first so Hubby doesn't have a heart attack if I do it......
    Aaahhh..youth is wasted on the young! :wink:
    Reneew..I agree and am going to do my best to "walk in his footsteps"..when it comes to food and exercise anyway! I'm glad the "just do it" approach is working for you...it is for me too. Why, oh why, do we make this so hard for ourselves?
    Peace Pilgrim

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed May 30, 2012 7:27 pm

I want to put a bright streak in my hair, too. I just can't decide if it should be aqua or pink or what. I'm thinking I need to get my hair professionally straightened or get it cut and colored dramatically. It does look dramatically good when I flatiron it, but it's so much trouble. It's naturally curly at the back but kinda blah at the front.
    Age 69
    BMI Jan/10-30.8
    2 yrs flux 6/20 22
    1/21-23

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Thu May 31, 2012 11:32 am

Day 5 WAS A SUCCESS! even with having dinner out.. yeah for me!! :D
    Oolala..it is summer..get that hair summer fine! (I may take my own advice..) I am very lucky in that my hair is thick, has body, but little curl... it has also stayed a nice dark brown with just a bit of gray. When I don't add color, most people assume I do.. and adding color is so much fun! Be sure to let us know what you decide to do...and I will do the same.
    I can't believe I didn't get this before: If there are no options..there are no problems (with eating anyway!). We went to dinner last night and I didn't touch the bread basket.. ordered a side of veggies/oil and vinegar for my salad so I could put it on... and a pasta dish. Ate all the salad/all the veggies/ part of the pasta... How easy was that??? very!!!
    On to day six..
    Peace Pilgrim

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu May 31, 2012 12:23 pm

And didn't that plate of food taste better than it would have if you'd had the bread first? Not that you couldn't have chosen to have bread once it all came. I just like it when I can see it all before I start, most times.
    Age 69
    BMI Jan/10-30.8
    2 yrs flux 6/20 22
    1/21-23

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:04 pm

Day 6=success
    spent a long day working in the yard and came in to prepare a dinner of left-overs. Just as I was finishing up getting food to the table I discovered my sink had a huge leak..my floor is PERGO ..and what a mess! I ate just what was on my plate but the time frame was a few hours. What with cleaning up..getting a new section of plastic pipe...cleaning up some more and trying to push as much water from under the flooring.. setting up fans...more cleaning up (the whole pipe had come apart ..don't know when!!)..dinner was not the relaxing, sit-down-and-enjoy event I had planned. BUT..I didn't turn to chocolate or extra food..even when I was up most of the night. I had a few cups of tea and that was that. Whew!
    Peace Pilgrim

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:15 pm

Drag, drag, drag! nice work not chocolating over it.
    Age 69
    BMI Jan/10-30.8
    2 yrs flux 6/20 22
    1/21-23

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:08 pm

Day 7=success!
    Oolala,ya got that right! I was really looking to a nice Lush (do you know their products?) "Blue Skies and Fulffy white Clouds" bubble bath... and instead spent the night River-dancing on spongy Pergo!
    I was really wiped out yesterday and did absolutely nothing. Made a comfort food dinner of meatloaf,mashed potatoes, peas and carrots, and gravy. Had a glass of red wine with that and.. didn't even get to my bubble bath..went to bed. (truth @ dinner: I had a meatloaf all cooked and in the freezer//I used instant mashed pottoes, gravywas made from water I used to cook vegggies with "Better Than Bouillon" added to it and thickened w.flour. Nothing took long or made a mess..but it was good!)
    I won't be posting this weekend. Time off for good behavior :wink: and I'm going to pick up a granddaughter for the week end. I'm sure we will be at Claire's Boutique for hours buying earrings// we will do some crafting after a stop at Michael's Craft Store// and we will get out the cup cake decorating book and turn out a variety of decorated chocolate cupcakes! In other words, I get to do the things I like to do!
    Peace Pilgrim

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:49 am

So sorry to hear about your floor!!! But wanted to say that I love Lush - I swear by their facial cleanser with seaweed and calamine (it's called "Aqua Marina" here). Hope you get to enjoy your bubble bath soon!

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:38 pm

S day :)

Well, granddaughter is sleeping in.. we had a busy day yesterday and.. what fun! We shopped..baked a gazillion cupcakes... she did some roller blading on a level street and I walked at least a mile and a half chugging along with her. We ended our evening under the stars in our outdoor hot tub.
    Today the rest of her family will be here for a BBQ...busy weekend. What fun being a Grammy!!
    Amy, thanks for the Lush heads-up. I am sure the names of the products are the same everywhere. I'm going to pick some up for a 15 year old granddaughter who will be coming from the west coast for a few weeks this summer. I got her that great jelly-like bath wash, the perfume sampler, and gold flecked bubble bath the last time she was here. I was just thinking about what I was going to get for her this time. ( I always try to have a few bath balls on hand because they make such great little hostess/birthday/anything gifts! ) I first learned @Lush right here! Ya never know what you are going to come across when you start reading. If you have any more Lush products that you love, let me know. I'll be doing an order in a few weeks.
    Peace Pilgrim

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:18 am

S Day :D Today is day 9

Not going to report here for a week, I really feel the need to just do this without checking in every day.
    I am going to limit my time on the computer to 1/2 hour a day. I will be making comments to others though! Can't keep a grammy with advice down!! :roll:
    Peace Pilgrim

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:59 pm

half an hour a day! That would be a starvation diet for me, sadly.
    Age 69
    BMI Jan/10-30.8
    2 yrs flux 6/20 22
    1/21-23

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:14 am

Hope the computer diet goes well - would be hard for me as well, sometimes it really feels like my lifeline... :wink: