bjalda's check in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

bjalda

bjalda's check in

Post by bjalda » Sun May 01, 2011 10:58 pm

Hey everybody,
Time for me to also start building those good habits. I'm a 19 year old student from Germany, living in the Netherlands - so please excuse some language mistakes. I am doing this because I act like a total maniac around food.
Lucky me, I have never been overweight in my life, the only thing that bothers me is that I frequently overeat because I just don't seem to know how to stop eating, before getting really nauseous (even with foods I don't really like). But then of course, it wouldn't hurt to lose two or three pounds.

I hate the way I treat food, because I think it is not only tremendously stupid and unneccessary, but also very disrespectful. I want to be able to appreciate food, eat mindfully and be thankful because I have so much.
I already started to only eat 3 meals a day a few weeks ago, when I accidentally found this system that absolutely matched my beliefs. So I thought I could give it a try! For me that'll be Vanilla S..

First goal is of course to have my first 21 perfect Ndays :)

bjalda
Last edited by bjalda on Mon May 02, 2011 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Over43

Post by Over43 » Mon May 02, 2011 1:40 am

Well welcome, and ggod luck. When I was in my teens and arly 20's I would also eat until I was sick. I remember at 22, on the Fourth of July I had to llay dowwn on the 5th green at the country club I had eaten so much. I didn't get drunk, didn't smoke grass, I would eat myself sick.

No bueno
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Mon May 02, 2011 1:55 pm

Anyone who says "eat mindfully" does not need to apologize for their use of language!

bjalda

Post by bjalda » Mon May 02, 2011 10:09 pm

haha, well thanks to you two!
And yes Over43, I don't do drugs, don't drink a lot of alcohol.. but when it comes to food.. Actually, I sometimes really don't know which is worse.
Well, I hope I can solve this problem now, because I don't want to struggle with it in the future - I expect myself to have other and much more important problems to deal with.

Today was a success

bjalda

Post by bjalda » Sat May 28, 2011 9:23 pm

Okay, I actually had a lot of failures lately so I decided to start fresh on may 22th. And guess what - I just had my first green week! It wasn't very easy and I thought about food a lot, but I did it! And it felt like I had given myself a big present.

Now, after today, I'm feeling a little stuffed.. Actually I didn't really wanted to eat that much, but I kept thinking "this is your only chance to eat whatever you want!!" which of course is ridiculous. But I think that this was an important lesson and that tomorrow the S Day won't go THAT wild. And even if it does.. I just had a green week! That means 13 days to go to reach the 21-days!

Amazon just told me that my book will arrive on tuesday, which I think will get me through my second week even better (:

Have a nice weekend everyone!
Expectation exists when there is fear.
- Swami

bjalda

Post by bjalda » Mon May 30, 2011 9:18 pm

Second week!
Started off with a success. Very easy today, hardly ever thought about food.
- Swami

SkyKitty

Post by SkyKitty » Tue May 31, 2011 6:07 am

well done on the brilliant start, have fun reading the book, I found it really useful and interesting.

Love your signature. :)
When nothing goes right...go left.

bjalda

Post by bjalda » Tue May 31, 2011 8:34 pm

Hey, thanks SkyKitty! Love your signature as well by the way, haha!
And you were right about the book, I just finished reading and it definitely is helpful even though I thought I already knew everything about No S.. Won't be the last time that I read it.

Today was a success
- Swami

Pangelsue2

Post by Pangelsue2 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:00 pm

Wilkommen!! Congratulations on your first green week. You are doing very well. It is really a good idea to get control of the eating while you are young. Then it won't become a problem as you get older.
Where are you from in Germany? Many years ago. I studied for a year at the Marburger Universitat. It was a wonderful year. The people were great. I still occasionally dream of Bienenstich and Zuckerkuchen. I'm glad I don't have access to those things all the time.
Best of luck with the rest of your week.
I'm baaaack.

bjalda

Post by bjalda » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:34 pm

Dankeschön!
That's great to hear, which study did you do? Unfortunately I have have never been to Marburg before. And yeah you are right about Bienenstich! My grandma still makes the best! I originally come from Hamburg but I am now studying in the netherlands. But they sure got other temptations haha :D

Yesterday was a success
- Swami

bjalda

Post by bjalda » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:58 pm

Success
But I am having trouble resisting the Tiramisu I just made for tomorrow.. should have waited until tomorrow to prepare it! Now I have the feeling that I must have it right with breakfast :lol:
- Swami

bjalda

Post by bjalda » Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:59 pm

Oh
My
God.

I just forced myself to write this down..
Tiramisu
Potato chips
Kellogs
Pancakes
Yoghurt
Pack of pretzel sticks
Bar of choclate
Peasoup
500ml (!!) Ben&Jerries
Crispbread

No, I am NOT pregnant.
And no, I don't know how that could even fit into my body!

This was just the worst day ever. And not because I (obviously!!) overate, but because I wasn't able to enjoy any of this. The day already started off badly, because I woke up at 4 am and couldn't get back to sleep. That's when I started snacking on tiramisu, some potato chips and kellogs while watching a movie. And because the day already "started off so badly" I pretty much flushed the rest of it down the toilet.. And yeah, the tiramisu was not good (ate it anyway), the potatochips were old and the Kellog's tasted like paperboard.. so I really have to stop eating things I don't even like! And I have to stop forcing down stuff when I am already uncomfortably full (and it starts hurting)..

Very, very, very ironic that I can call this day a success in spite of all that
- Swami

SpiritSong

Post by SpiritSong » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:58 am

bjalda wrote:Very, very, very ironic that I can call this day a success in spite of all that
It can be a success if the next time you pick up some junk food you ask yourself, "Do I even want this?" If you aren't truly going to enjoy the food, it is wasted calories going into your body, S-Day or not.

I moved my Saturday S-Day to Friday because we have breakfast at work. Usually there are all sorts of "goodies" that I used to eat, but these days when I look at them I realize that they really aren't all that good (store bought pastries, etc.). I can have whatever I want, but I have found that I want a lot less. Calories count, even on S-Days, and if I am going to eat something, I want to enjoy it. :P

I hope you have a better Sunday with some good food that gives you pleasure!

bjalda

Post by bjalda » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:18 am

Yesterday was a success

Thank you SpiritSong! I like the idea of "wasted calories", haven't seen it that way before. Sunday was not perfect but it was definitely better. But my body really stopped me from eating to much this time (was immediately getting stomachache.. probably not the best sign).

I still don't know what to do about the following days. My best friend is coming to visit me and we will probably go out (to eat) a lot, walk through the city and stuff like that.. And because I don't really have to lose weight I find it difficult to tell people about the No S system, because they would probalby just think I'm mad for "forcing this on me". But I like it.. So I decided to take 3 S days in advance that I don't HAVE to use
- Swami

bjalda

Post by bjalda » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:11 pm

----------------------------------------------------------
Restart!

I just looked over my HabitCal and noticed that the longest interval I followed the rules of VanillaNoS without failure were 6 days.
6 days!!
I never made the 21days, so that is why I am going to keep the Daily Check In at least until I got those 21days down.
- Swami

bjalda

Post by bjalda » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:35 pm

Yesterday was a success
- Swami

bjalda

Post by bjalda » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:36 pm

Today was a failure

:( Next time (on a day like that) I'll just disappear into bed with some hot tea or something..
- Swami

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:44 am

I think you're doing quite well.

bjalda

Post by bjalda » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:50 pm

Thank you.. it does not feel like it though.
Today was a success, but I had a hard time controlling myself.
- Swami

Anoulie

Post by Anoulie » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:14 am

Congrats on your successes! And I'm 18 and from Germany, too! But I'm currently volunteering in Bulgaria for a year.
There's only us, there's only this
Forget regret, or life is yours to miss.
No other road, no other way,
No day but today.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:06 am

I just looked back at my Habit Cal, and I only have only one month with no reds in 9 months on the program. I average 2 reds a month. I just try not to blow the whole day because of one slip. I try to have red events and not let them turn into red binges.

You do not have to be perfect to gain the benefits of this plan. Hang in there!
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.

bjalda

Post by bjalda » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:36 pm

r.jean you are right. I'd probably do much worse without it. Thanks!

And Anoulie, nice to know that there are more young folks doing this "grandma-diet"! :) How long have you been doing this?

Oh and I almost forgot:
Today was a success (:
- Swami

bjalda

Post by bjalda » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:34 pm

I ate too much this evening,
nevertheless,it was a success.
- Swami

bjalda

Post by bjalda » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:43 pm

today.. funny funny stuff, because we had a barbecue. It's just difficult to control if I only had one plate. But I really truly did my best, didn't go overboard and I even skipped the dessert (delicious magnum icecream). That's why I am calling this a success. I did the very best I could.
- Swami

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:50 pm

Sounds like your off to a good start!!! it's usually a rocky start and gets better with time!
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139
Willingness without action is fantasy

bjalda

Post by bjalda » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:40 am

Thank you, snapdragon! Yes, I am definitely having a rocky start.. But that's okay, I have no hurry

Yesterday I failed
, because I was having one of those special nights with a friend,where you just can't stop talking - and when he offered some food I didn't feel like rejecting. Felt like a special day! Whatever, it wasn't.. so today is going to be better!
Last edited by bjalda on Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Swami

bjalda

Post by bjalda » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:03 pm

Today was a success.
Very simple, very easy. Even though I was jobbing at this office where somebody brought bakery-stuff for their birthday. I decided to safe some of it for lunch, but this one woman constantly asked me why I wouldn't eat it right away because it was still warm.
Three times "I am not hungry yet" did it, but I got some weird glances.
Especially when I also rejected her chocolate.. I don't get this woman, I would never force food on anybody, especially if I don't know them.

But however, learned a lot today. Saying "no" can be fun sometimes..
- Swami

bjalda

Post by bjalda » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:01 pm

Another successful day.

I'm beginning to notice that my portions are getting smaller.
- Swami

bjalda

Post by bjalda » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:23 pm

Success

I am going to a little sit-in with friends now, knowing that there will be food, but also knowing that I won't touch any of it (:
It's good that I can finally trust myself with stuff like that.
- Swami

bjalda

Post by bjalda » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:15 am

Thursday & Friday were green as well.
It was a good week.. now I'm enjoying my S Days (:
- Swami

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:42 pm

You seem to be doing very well!

bjalda

Post by bjalda » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:03 pm

Thank you! :) It really is going well!

Success
- Swami

bjalda

Post by bjalda » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:53 pm

Success!

Tomorrow is my second weigh-in and I am just going to write down all the benefits I am getting from this plan because I know how I tend to freak out when I don't see any results on the stupid scale..

- I love the feeling of an empty stomache in the morning
- I learned to NOT eat an entire chocolate bar in one sitting
- I don't think/obsess about food and my body that often anymore
- I feel thinner, lighter, healthier, more beautiful
- My portions are getting smaller, without my intention! I just want/need less.. feels great
- I can finally trust myself around food(most of the time)!! Which brought me some of my dignity back..
- Learned to say "no" to people/things that I don't want (to eat)
- I spend less money on food (which is noticable, especially if you are a poor poor student haha)
- I study more effectively without the snack-breaks (digesting is bad for concentrating)
- I sleep better/deeper.. which I think is a result of the empty stomach.. I used to eat right before going to bed
- Swami

bjalda

Post by bjalda » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:06 am

152 lbs, 28 inch waist

Since then I have had:
17 Success days
9 Exempt days
4 Failures

147lbs [-5lbs], 27 inch waist [-1 inch]

:)
It is going so well! I am very happy about my results so far.
- Swami

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:26 pm

Excellent results for a month! Other diet plans might consider this "slow," but in reality, this is perfect. It is sustainable.
Last edited by r.jean on Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maintenance is progress.

bjalda

Post by bjalda » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:49 pm

Thank you r.jean (:
It really feels sustainable because it was so easy to get those results. Nearly effortless.

Today; success, but my portions were biiiiig.
- Swami

bjalda

Post by bjalda » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:46 pm

Yesterday NWS day
My sister came to visit and I went to a birthday as well, it got kind of piggish.. I definitely ate too much.

Success today
- Swami

bjalda

Post by bjalda » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:48 pm

I went overboard this weekend. Overall it just was too food-centered for my liking..

And just to make myself realize that this is definitely too much and not about "treating myself to anything" anymore I am going to write down today's intake.. I am just sabotaging myself.. On sundays it is always worst.. when I think to myself "hey, this is your last "chance" to have some sweets/snacks!!" And it actually scares me that I mostly don't want any.. But I'll eat them anyway, JUST IN CASE.
S-T-U-P-I-D

5 Pancakes & maple syrup
2 chocolate bars
500ml yoghurt
1 Bag of potatoechips
200grams of chocolate
Chocolate croissant
2 slices of bread
Last edited by bjalda on Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Swami

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:10 pm

Oooohhh! Carb delight!

We all have our days. Mine are more likely to involve meat and cheese and potatoes rather than pure carbs, but regardless, we all have our out of control days. Mine have become less out of control as time goes on and as the n day habits start to influence the s days. Hang in there. It will get better!
Maintenance is progress.

bjalda

Post by bjalda » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:51 pm

Thank you for the kind words r.jean!
And yes, you are right.. I have already experienced some influence of the n-day habit, but it is still pretty small and only shows sometimes.
I most certainly will have to be patient :P

Today was a success
It's good to be back, felt great after those S Days!

Only 2 days to go until I reach the magic 21 Days.. bambadabam
I am having fun doing this acutally (:
Nice evening everybody!
- Swami

bjalda

Post by bjalda » Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:45 pm

Success
Last edited by bjalda on Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Swami

bjalda

Post by bjalda » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:22 pm

Success
- Swami

bjalda

Post by bjalda » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:02 am

Today would be my 21st day on habit.. and if I make this day a success I would stop tracking until the next failure.. I would really like that.

But extra challenge today: I have to skip breakfast (for the first time) because I want to go to the movies later and those nachos there always look too good to pass up (: I hope that won't be a problem because I barely slept tonight and I tend to overeat when I am tired.
But this is an important day, at least for me. I just wanted to remind me of the 21Days to keep me motivated until lunch :P

It was a success & I had my nachos, but the other two plates were big! I hope that's different today, now I have had enough sleep
- Swami

bjalda

Post by bjalda » Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:27 am

I did good until I went to my neighbours house where they had hot wine punch & cookies and other stuff. I only had one cookie, which I didn't even reaaaally want, it was more because I didn't want to refuse everything..(always my "problem") But I haven't had lunch that day, so I definitely didn't eat too much. Felt like a successful day but of course it is a
Failure
- Swami

bjalda

Post by bjalda » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:27 am

Back on track. Yesterday was a success
Had a great weekend as well, my S Days are starting to change dramatically. I find myself very picky about which sweets I chose

Oh and I noticed my pants are getting loose, had to cut another hole into my belt.
- Swami

bjalda

Post by bjalda » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:19 pm

I really rationalized myself into having cake for breakfast and potatoechips after dinner. And until now (just coloured in my HabitCal) I found it perfectly adequate that I ate that. I just realized that I actually failed today. How did my mind do it?
Last edited by bjalda on Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Swami

bjalda

Post by bjalda » Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:44 pm

Yesterday success

Today an S-Day, over the top again. But I think it's a huge influence that I just got my period

Cheese roll
500ml vanilla-yoghurt
Croissant with chocolate
2 slices of marble-cake with whipped cream
1 slice of apple-cake with whipped cream
1 1/2 bag of potatoe chips
Chocolate bar
Some juice

But I think that even my "over the top" SDays are getting better.. even if I feel just as stuffed as on an S day one month ago. I'll also track them in the future.. Hope that I'll notice a difference soon.
- Swami

determined

Post by determined » Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:03 am

If you're anything like me, I look at my failures and forget that I have so many more green days than red ones! You've got so many greens!!!

I admire you for wanting to start these healthy habits so early. You're doing really well....and developing such wonderful habits for the rest of your life.

Good job!!!

janie
"Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day."
Winnie the Pooh

bjalda

Post by bjalda » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:43 pm

Thank you janie! That's really sweet of you (:
I actually think that I am like this.. so maybe it's not the best idea and I'll just continue tracking greens/yellows/reds. Until now it has been enough to get great results. I guess you are right then! Shouldn't try to solve problems which aren't there...

Today I failed, had no dinner because I came home so late.. then I had some SDay "leftover" cookies, because I was too lazy to prepare something and kind of hungry.. Well, tomorrow is another day (and month). I'll try my best to start green!
- Swami

bjalda

Post by bjalda » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:20 pm

Success
- Swami

bjalda

Post by bjalda » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:50 pm

Success
- Swami

bjalda

Post by bjalda » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:32 pm

Success
- Swami

bjalda

Post by bjalda » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:03 pm

Fail
damn you S-Day leftovers! They always seem to get me :?
Next time will be better..
- Swami

bjalda

Post by bjalda » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:34 am

I am freaking out!
Monday
Tuesday
Wednesday
Thursday
Today

I am feeling very bad about this. Just weighed myself to make it even worse and now I don't know what to do next. I feel I do not deserve the 2 upcoming S days.. I am sure that I won't be able to enjoy them (no matter what/how much I eat).

Why all of a sudden? It was going so well. I really need to get a hold of myself!!
- Swami

bjalda

Post by bjalda » Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:40 pm

I realized just this:
I had an awful week, I also had an idiot weekend, but what I also still have is: habit. The fact that all of this just felt awful and wrong means that I haven't "lost it all". And that is why I am more than positive that I will get a hold of myself and that I will start fresh and green into the next week.

I also had to remind myself that I don't have some weightgoal. I don't!
My goal is: MODERATION

And I had it for a while, than I began eating too little, which led to this week of stuffing down everything that I could find. That's why I will make sure to eat enough every meal, but not more than that.

Well, I learned something! Hope that I am able to apply this.
- Swami

gk

Post by gk » Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:50 pm

I tend to remind myself of that as well......even if I have red days, I'm building on good habits and that is a success in itself.

A year ago this month I started No S. My first try I went 21 green days straight.....lost 11 lbs....felt great. However, I was eating "diet" plates and as we all know that is not sustainable. As soon as the holidays rolled around, I had no willpower against all the goodies available and soon fell off the wagon. Been off and on No S ever since then, but am now back for good. Not to ramble on about myself on your thread...I guess my point is I have also found that moderation is KEY with sticking to sane eating. Too much is obviously not good (even on No S, which I found out after a couple weeks of "legal" but towering plates) but too little is not good either because it is NEVER sustainable.

Recently I've really gotten into listening to what my body is really craving, so I am more satisifed with each meal (no matter how crazy some of the meals may turn out), which has proven to help ALOT lately. Just some thoughts I thought I'd throw out there. :)

You are on the right track. You can and WILL do this! Keep it up!! :)
SW (as of 3/25/13): 172 lbs.
CW: 171 lbs.

bjalda

Post by bjalda » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:23 pm

Thank you gk! You are so right! Had to make the experience myself though.. I think that I got a pretty good idea of how much food will be enough/keep me on track.

And the thing is: I would have been much further if I had just eaten a little more all this time. Nothing good came from that "diet-plating". Sure it felt great to lose the weight quickly, but does it even matter if it will come back as quick as it went?
No.. don't think so.

That's why I am throwing out my scale as well. And now I am concentrating on:

green

Today was a success
- Swami

bjalda

Post by bjalda » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:25 am

not going well :(
Last edited by bjalda on Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Swami

Anoulie

Post by Anoulie » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:41 am

bjalda wrote:And Anoulie, nice to know that there are more young folks doing this "grandma-diet"! :) How long have you been doing this?
I've been doing this for two years on and off (stayed on track perfectly September '09 through summer 2010, then started adding mods and fell off the wagon majorly in December, and have been struggling ever since... but it's going very well now). Sorry, didn't see your post earlier :oops:
There's only us, there's only this
Forget regret, or life is yours to miss.
No other road, no other way,
No day but today.