Rubyslippers Tries Again!

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

BeingGreen

Rubyslippers Tries Again!

Post by BeingGreen » Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:50 am

Well, I'm at it again for the umpteenth time. I've got a new name and a new attitude.

I figure that the second half of the year (beginning on July 1st of course) has got to be better than the first half. Despite any and all 2011 New Year's resolutions, instead of losing weight and keeping it off, I gained 10lbs! What's worse is I established bad habits instead of good ones.

At this point, I'll be happy with a solid month of vanilla No S. I'd like to commit to reporting here with my greens and yellows (and reds??). More important may be discussing my challenges as I struggle to reign those bad habits.

milliem

Post by milliem » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:52 am

Well you can't change the past, but you can change what happens next! Good luck with building those habits, looking forward to reading more over the next few months :)

BeingGreen

Post by BeingGreen » Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:26 am

Amazing how hard it is to get back to the basics of No S. I managed to eek out a green day, but only just barely. I've got in the habit of dessert almost every night, and I was seriously tempted after dinner (and this was just Day 1!!). I virtual plated some dried fruit and nuts at the end of my meal.

It helped to know that I would be reporting in here. Thanks for the support, milliem. You have it just right: I can't change the past, but I am in control of my future.

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:30 am

Nice to "meet" you. Sounds like you have a good attitude and a plan.

tobiasmom

hey

Post by tobiasmom » Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:47 pm

Love the new name! One day at a time; right?

BeingGreen

Post by BeingGreen » Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:06 pm

Thanks for noticing my new name here. I love it too. Growing up the Wizard of Oz was my favorite movie. At the end, Glinda reminds Dorothy that she always had the power to go home ("just click your heels together three times . . ." )
Home for me in the context of No S makes me think of my Dad. He is my role model: he's 65 and weighs the same as he has his whole adult life. He has always exercised and approached eating with moderation. He definitely enjoys his favorite foods, but never eats if he is not hungry. When I'm following No S I feel like I'm walking in my Dad's footsteps (in my own pair of Rubyslippers :D ).

BeingGreen

Post by BeingGreen » Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:09 pm

Yesterday was a fine No S day. I enjoyed some freedom and a couple of things I wouldn't have eaten on an N day, but overall it felt moderate. On days like these I know that I'm not going to lose weight, but at least I feel I'm nipping gaining in the bud!

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:30 pm

Welcome back. I love your name as well :wink:

You seem to be in the right mind set. Just being aware when eating "outside the norm" that it is truly not something that you do most of the time is all it really takes. A small still voice tells you to enjoy what you are eating because you will be eating differently soon :roll:
Berry

BeingGreen

Post by BeingGreen » Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:57 pm

Well, the party went on a little too long as I took July 4th as an S day after two S days on the weekend. I'm relieved to have four plain and simple N days ahead of me.

Pangelsue2

Post by Pangelsue2 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:21 pm

OOOOO, after your story about your dad, now I really love your new name too. Dorothy got to OZ with the help of her friends and we are here for you too. Best of luck. Just like OZ, there is no real magic here except what you have in your heart.
I'm baaaack.

tobiasmom

hey

Post by tobiasmom » Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:59 am

I had a crazy weekend myself that trailed into Monday.......oh, well! We still have four N days to attack this week!!

There's no place like home.......

BeingGreen

Post by BeingGreen » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:11 am

Thanks, friends, it was so sweet to come here tonight and find such a community of support.

The good news is that today was a solid green! I hope you all had greens today as well.

SkyKitty

Post by SkyKitty » Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:03 am

Seems to me that 4th July was a definate good reason for as S day, it's certainly a special day. In fact it was a national holiday yesterday where I live, but I didn't have it as an S day, as I'm not from here so it's not really my holiday, but I couldn't imagine being the the US and NOT having the fourth as an S day, so don't worry about the weekend training into Monday. 8)
When nothing goes right...go left.

BeingGreen

Post by BeingGreen » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:22 am

July 4th is definitely a day for celebrating! I just don't think it was a day for overeating :oops:

But in better news, Tuesday and Wednesday have been solid greens. Lots of vegetables from our CSA.

I've got my DH on board for a little weight loss too. This made going to the grocery store easier this week. If I'm not buying as many treats for him, I'm less tempted to by treats for me.

BeingGreen

Post by BeingGreen » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:49 am

It's been a great four green days in a row. I feel inspired heading into the weekend, but also scared. I know I need to let my guard down a little, but finding middle "non-idiotic" ground is the challenge. Best of luck to us all!

tobiasmom

hey

Post by tobiasmom » Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:34 pm

I'm with ya! All or nothing girl! I'm still trying to find that balance too......

BeingGreen

Post by BeingGreen » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:03 am

Thanks tobiasmom! I hope you had a good, balanced weekend. My S days went well and I had a green day today. It's frustrating that the number on the scale doesn't go down faster, but since No S is a long term plan, I guess time is on my side :)

BeingGreen

Post by BeingGreen » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:04 am

A hard won green today. I felt stressed and wanted to snack after dinner but stuck it out!

Off on vacation tomorrow . . .

Joyofsix

Post by Joyofsix » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:00 am

Yeah on sticking to your habits!
Lisa, mom to 7

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:18 am

HI! Ruby and welcome back!! ((Hugs)) I also enjoyed reading about your Dad and how he influenced your choice of name! Nice one!!!

Have a great No S week(end) and not to mention vacation!

Best,

Roxy x
No S-er since December 2009
Streamlined S Days: 6/25/12
SW: 170 /CW: 127
Weight loss to date: 43 lbs

BeingGreen

Post by BeingGreen » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:23 am

Nice to come home to friendly support (thanks Roxy and Joyofsix)! The first half of vacation didn't go very well (2 reds :( ). But some how I pulled it together and finished with 5 green days. The scale was ever so slightly lower when I stepped on it this morning :)

Now that I'm home again, I'm looking forward to slow steady progress toward my goal. I need to continue eating well at each meal so that I feel nourished. As a vegan I sometimes lean too heavily on salads. Sandwiches really do fill a body up a little better!