M's sick of dieting check-in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

M's sick of dieting

M's sick of dieting check-in

Post by M's sick of dieting » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:01 am

Ok, doing pretty good with this so far, so far so good:) stuck with it Monday, Tuesday was my crazy work day and I was really hungry when I got out of work but "no snacking" was done. Yesterday I also work at dinner time so I tried a "later" big lunch and that worked out quit well. I didn't even really get hungry till about 7 o'clock and I get out at 8. Came home had a bowl of soup and was satisfied.

One thing I've noticed and I wonder if any of you had this same experience is, the constant thought of food is relaxing a bit. It's not consuming my every thought like it usually does. It's like the less I eat the less I think about it or maybe the more I snack the more I wanna snack? What ever it is it feels healthy and not obsessive, i like it. Anyway that's all for now, hope everyone has a good day:)

Linguisticsgirl

Post by Linguisticsgirl » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:27 pm

I agree. I think that the mental freedom you get from no s is one of the most important things about it. I think at least partially it's down to boundarys. Because I know that I won't be eating again til dinner time I don't really see any point in thinking about food, it's a waste of time. If I do think about it it's to plan what I'll have for dinner which means that I am having well thought out and delicious meals. Love it!

Pangelsue2

Post by Pangelsue2 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:29 pm

Welcome and best of luck. Sounds like you are already making some really good decisions about staying on plan. You are also right that this diet certainly takes the focus off food and what you can and can't eat. There are only 3 rules and yet it is sometimes hard not to break one of them. All healthy patterns of eating require change, practice and patience. I think you will like it here.
I'm baaaack.

NoSnacker

hi

Post by NoSnacker » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:24 am

I know what you mean, I have been on No S plan for a month now and with not snacking I have not binged except for 1 red day, I won't talk about my S days :). But I truly think that eating snacks triggers binges for me anyway. Like after dinner, if I don't start a snack I don't struggle that often, mostly not ever..especially if I truly eat what I want for dinner. When I eat something that my mind/body wasn't looking forward to I struggle, like my red day the other day.

It is like smoking, if you don't touch a cig you can stay smoke free. Every time I started to smoke again it was because I crossed the line and had one, just one I told myself. Same with snacking if I don't allow a snack I don't go hog wild.

Sounds like you are finding your nitch!
Age 56: SBMI=30.6 (12/1/13) CBMI 28.9 (2/2/14) GBMI-24.8

M's sick of dieting

Post by M's sick of dieting » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:39 am

So I haven't been doing too bad over the weekend, stressful times makes me wanna eat. I hate that, why do so many of us associate comfort with food. Anyway I'm shooting for no goof ups this week.

Pangelsue2

Post by Pangelsue2 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:44 pm

Good plan. Let the S days go and get a consistent pattern going for the N days first. Comfort eating is, as you said, a real problem for most of us. Many times when we don't live up to our own standards, or speak out when we should, or put our needs up there with everyone elses, etc, so we stuff down the bad feelings we experience until they don't hurt anymore. It is easier than confrontation for me so I opt out with food way too often. Also, sometimes, I eat when I feel pain I can't do anything about, like loss, hurt feelings, fear etc. But fear not, with the focus off food, it is possible here to concentrate our focus on the real source of the problem.
You know, I think if people like good food so much they occasionally put on and take off 10 to 15 pounds, that can be handled with a diet plan. As soon as the weight gain goes over 30 or more, I think it will never be conquered until the underlying causes are addressed. I am not a weak person but weight loss has eluded me for many years. But I overeat for many reasons and most of the time it is not how good the food tastes. Hang in there. There is light at the end of the tunnel for all of us if we stay to true.
I'm baaaack.

M's sick of dieting

Post by M's sick of dieting » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:54 pm

Man, I haven't checked in in a while! I hit a couple road bumps around my birthday, ate to much cake:) I finally gave the rest away, now I'm back on track!

Today is day 5 of No S, going good, feeling good, trying to keep 3 meals fairly healthy. 2 of those days went walking with the toddler, gonna try to get on the treadmill for a jog today. I'm really beginning to love being good and hungry for my meals. They taste so much better! I'm starting to not fear being hungry like I used to. The meals I'm eating are substantial so it's not miserable hunger. It's just " I know I'm not gonna die" hunger. Time for dinner hunger.

M's sick of dieting

Post by M's sick of dieting » Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:05 pm

Thursday was a no s day and Friday morning I'm down 3 pounds from last week:) Its working!!

M's sick of dieting

Post by M's sick of dieting » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:20 pm

They got me again:( I broke down and joined weight watchers, again. After less then a week of it I'm sick of it. Hungry, thinking about food alllll day, obsessing over every little bite, measuring everything, did I mention hungry :( Then I brake down and eat and eat and eat, today was my first "weigh in" and I'm up 1/2 pound. About a year ago I lost 25 pounds doing weight watchers so far I've gained 14 of it back cause I just can not seem to do it anymore. I get so sick of counting points, being hungry. I've got that desperate, depressed, "feeling like a failure" feeling today. I watch my Husband eat normal, never thinking about it, not having a weight problem and I wish I could do that. It's never been an issue for him, ever. He doesn't think about food constantly the way I do (which I'm sure its because I diet and he doesn't). It stops today, I've said it before and I'll say it again, "dieting causes food obsession and binging". The more I do it the more I'm forced to realize that. I want to get this weight thing under control before I've gained it all back:( I've never been able to maintain, I'm either dieting or gaining it back. Sorry if you read this and it depresses you, I'm just venting. I need to stop today.