Determined's Check-In

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:39 pm

That's great news!

determined

Post by determined » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:50 pm

Thanks Who Me?!!!

janie
"Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day."
Winnie the Pooh

determined

Post by determined » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:30 pm

Friday. Today we're heading to Chicago for my MIL's 90th birthday. I'm planning to make a good breakfast to start the trip. Snacking in the car is my worst enemy! My teen boys & 6-year old have their favorite snacks & I have such a hard time staying away from them on long, boring drives. I know, it would be easier on me to just not buy them anything, but they all have healthy eating habits & snacks are just a treat for them. I refuse to change what they consider enjoyable eating because I struggle. I need to learn to control myself no matter what my surrounds are. Anyway...I'll eat a good, late breakfast & keep the snack bag in the back of the van with the boys. I'm going to have a green day today...and I'll think about Monday & Tuesday when they get here...

Hopefully I'll check in a couple of times while I'm gone. I'm so encouraged by everyone here on the forum...

Green day here I come....janie
Winnie the Pooh

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:35 pm

determined wrote:Eating the NoS way is certainly working well for me...I'm DETERMINED!!!janie
Way to gooooo...it is not only important to see the external benefits but more importantly to hear of the internal wellness going on.

I always test low for Vit D, probably because I live in the north east and I'm not a big sun worshiper.

Have a great weekend!
Age 56: SBMI=30.6 (12/1/13) CBMI 28.9 (2/2/14) GBMI-24.8

determined

Post by determined » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:41 pm

NoSnacker....I think anyone who lives in Upstate NY should have an automatic Vitamin D prescription! LOL!!!

Hugs...janie
Winnie the Pooh

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:21 pm

Have a great trip!!!!
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139
Willingness without action is fantasy

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:20 pm

FANTASTIC news, determined! Great job! Have a wonderful trip!!!
No S-er since December 2009
Streamlined S Days: 6/25/12
SW: 170 /CW: 127
Weight loss to date: 43 lbs

determined

Post by determined » Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:48 am

Thanks Snapdragon! We're halfway to Chicago & I'm ready to grab my book & get ready for bed. I was so busy today that it ended up being a two-meal day....but I didn't struggle in the car with eating. THAT was a huge relief. I now have two "S" days so I don't have to worry about eating...and that feels wonderful. I can't wait for a Portillo's hotdog tomorrow! I miss those! My husband grew up in Chicago & we lived there for two years before moving with his job. I craved Portillo's hotdogs with my first pregnancy. When we moved to New York, I opened the door one Valentine's Day to a delivery of Portillo's hot dogs, complete with a hat to wear when cooking them. I was probably the only woman on the planet who got hot dogs for Valentine's Day and was excited about them!

I'm so thankful today was green!!!

Determined...
Winnie the Pooh

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:30 am

LOVE Porto Los but more of an Italian beef kinds girl!
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:10 am

determined wrote:I can't wait for a Portillo's hotdog tomorrow! I miss those! Determined...
That is what is so great about NSD we can have something we love without the guilt! If they are not too big you could have 2 if they fit on a plate...I love hot dogs, mmmm one on a roll and one without a roll :).

Enjoy!

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:41 pm

Now I will have to try the hot dogs next time I am at a Portillos. I have also always gone for the Italian beef!
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.

determined

Post by determined » Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:15 pm

I had my hot dog & handful of fries for lunch. Absolutely yummy!!!

janie
Winnie the Pooh

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:53 am

I bet the freedom to have the hot dog and fries was even more tasty then the hot dog..no guilt eating!!

Most of us eat healthy 90% of the time anyway..I had steak friday and I swore off red meat some time ago...but it was really really good.

deb

determined

Post by determined » Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:48 pm

NoSnacker...You're absolutely right! Just knowing I was eating a favorite meal without guilt was wonderful. We might even have another hot dog before we leave town! It's been a year since we were at Portillos....my family loved it, but they don't understand what you just mentioned. I loved the meal, but loved knowing I didn't have to experience any guilt was even better than the hot dog!

Determined...
Winnie the Pooh

determined

Post by determined » Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:01 pm

We are in Chicago for my MIL's 90th birthday. I had a very green Friday on the way out & didn't have any extra eating yesterday until after my MIL mentioned that I "looked thin" in my older pictures. She's reminising, she's 90, I know she didn't mean to insult me....but I still reacted emotionally to the comment. You'd think that it would make me want to continue eating well & continue losing weight but all I wanted to do is stop for a burger on the way back to the hotel and emotionally eat. I didn't....I did have a few jelly beans that I really wasn't hungry for, but I WANTED to drown that emotion in food. And I wonder why I gain weight!!! I've reacted emotionally about weight all my life & that's why I am were I am. I reacted. I understood what I was doing & I was back on track by dinner. We had pizza with friends yesterday evening (which was delicious!), and I had two very small pieces and about 6 chips....nothing later. I'll be at my MIL's birthday party today with the whole family but I feel less emotional and more in control today. It won't be a party full of food & that'll be easier for me. I don't care for cake & since we're eating at her retirement home, the portions are smaller than a restaurant. I know it's Sunday, but it will be better for me if I can keep it together and have a controlled eating day.
Winnie the Pooh

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:46 pm

Great job looks like your on track for the long haul.
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:01 pm

determined wrote:NoSnacker....Just wanted to drop in and remind you how well you're doing. I absolutely understand the strength of binging...it's indescribable to those who've never experienced it. Remember that you are breaking something very strong...and you might not believe it, but it's clear that you are winning. You might be struggling on 2 days a week, but you are NOT binging on 5 a week. You ARE doing the work to be free of this and you ARE winning. Hang in there...you are much more than this. You are a thoughtful, encouraging person & you WILL win this battle...I'm convinced of it.

Hugs to you...janie
Thanks so much Janie! I truly appreciate the encouragement. I was just re-reading a chapter in the No S Diet book which seems makes things more clearer when you re-read something.

Your convincing has convince me :)

determined

Post by determined » Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:30 pm

You're welcome NoSnacker...I'm only telling you the truth :D

janie
Winnie the Pooh

determined

Post by determined » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:42 pm

Yesterday was an easy Saturday. I ended up not eating cake or cookies at my MIL's 90th birthday party. It felt great to be in control over the food instead of the food being in control over me.

Today we'll visit mom before we start our drive back to NY. I ate breakfast here at the hotel & hopefully I'll be able to stay away from the snack bag in the car. If I can accomplish that, it would be very encouraging.

Off to make today green....

janie
Winnie the Pooh

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:55 am

How was your drive back? Hope you had a great time and find yourself in a great place today.
deb

determined

Post by determined » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:40 pm

Hi Deb....we just got back yesterday afternoon. I ended up with a normal yellow weekend with green days surrounding it! I've never been able to accomplish that on a road trip so it was very encouraging. Now that I know I can do it, I'll have no excuse on the next one! lol...

Thanks for checking in...we are both going to win this!!!

janie
Winnie the Pooh

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:15 am

That is so awesome to hear and a great start to a new habit for you..

You did not just turn on the green light to go overboard..nice job.

I know when I was binging before No S, I would sit there and think.."okay, when will I stop, I think I'm too old to be binging"...I saw someone on here that just started at 70 looking for sanity...so at least we found this site before we were 80..:).

I'm only going to be on No S site 1/2 hour in the a.m. and perhaps 1/2 hour in the p.m., just checking in and stopping by those that have continued on with me since I started here..a select few :).

Thanks again for all the encouragement you have given me...

determined

Post by determined » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:18 pm

I've lost track of my days, but that's okay. Counting them all helped me get started & now just knowing I'm adding a green day at a time to the HabitCal is helping.

I've decided that my biggest goal these days is swimming. I used to swim, but got sidetracked somehow. I've started back again & have been adding a lap or two every time I go. Yesterday I swam 22 laps (44 lengths). My birthday is in January & by then I want to be swimming a mile three times a week. I think it's a totally reachable goal if I don't give up along the way. I've only told a few people about this goal, but I did tell my dr. and one of my sons...the son who is especially fit & active. I'm excited about working toward this.

Off to finish school with my daughter...

janie
Winnie the Pooh

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:34 pm

I used to love swimming. I hope to lose track of green days myself, what a nice thing.
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:59 pm

Oh my gosh! I cannot imagine swimming that many laps! I go to water aerobics once a week, and I have tried laps. Laps are exhausting!
Maintenance is progress.

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:23 am

I'm a weird bird...I had a pool for my kids but never really went in it..I hated to get wet :).

But I think I might like to try a water aerobics class.

Come to think of it,,,getting my thin hair wet holds me back from going public near water :).
Last edited by NoSnacker on Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

determined

Post by determined » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:01 pm

Snapdragon...Love your quote!

r.jean...Water aerobics are terrific! I have an 80-year old aunt who has been teaching water aerobics classes three times a week for about 25 years...she's AMAZING. I want to be like her when I grow up!

NoSnacker...I took a couple of aerobics classes & never got my hair wet!

Thanks for dropping by!

janie
Winnie the Pooh

determined

Post by determined » Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:33 pm

I love Fridays. If I can just make it through the day I'll chalk up another week on my calendar. Fridays are the best.

Just got back from the "Y". Going there 3x a week doesn't exactly fit well into my schedule, but I've finally decided that I don't care. I've done everything possible for my kids for the last 20 years and it's my turn to put something of mine in first place. I love to swim....so I'm going to go no matter what. I'm planning on two mornings during the weekdays & once on the weekends. Today I lost track of my laps & I'm pretty sure I did 6 more than I'd planned. Whether it was 46 or 52 lengths, I'm still happy about it 'cause that's more than I did last time.

Off to make today a green one...

Determined
Winnie the Pooh

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:47 pm

you go girl!!! going to the Y is a great thing..a friend of mine does the water aeorbics at our local Y and one day might join her..well maybe..

i have to workout in the morning as i can't seemed to move much after dinner....maybe cause i get up at between 4-5 a.m....bad habit, but love the quiet time..i think it all started when my kids were little...i could only find piece when they were sleeping...

if i make it thru tonight i'll be green for the week toooo..

have a great swim!

determined

Post by determined » Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:39 pm

Saturday....home from the "Y". Today I need to order a lap counter 'cause I'm having a hard time keeping track of my laps. I'm determined to swim a mile at a time, but I'm having a hard time keeping my counts accurate. Today I did 60 lengths....that felt great.

I can't believe this is really true, but I forgot to eat lunch yesterday. I ate a late breakfast & by the time I'd realized I didn't have lunch, it was 4:30. It wasn't worth eating anything then 'cause I was looking forward to the homemade soup for dinner. It was quite easy to wait & I just had a normal meal. I wanted to snack later, but I didn't...and it was terrific to end the week with all green days.

I'm off to make some jewelry for my Etsy site....

janie
Winnie the Pooh

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:57 pm

Hope all is well...haven't seen you around the last few days.

I'm trying to limit my time on the computer..once I start responding to people I can be on here for a couple hours...yik!

determined

Post by determined » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:30 am

Hi NoSnacker...

Thanks so much for checking in with me. I'm truly fine...just busy. Once school starts my schedule just gets full. I'm homeschooling one son for his junior year & our daughter for first grade. Along with schooling, I'm trying to put the garden to bed & get my exercise in. It's all good, just busy! I probably will only be able to check in every couple of days, but I'm not going anywhere. This time around this adventure is really working for me....it's as if I'm finally getting it & I'm so very thankful.

You're such an encouragement & I'm so grateful for your kind words & care. I hope you're doing well....I'll check in with you soon...

Hugs...janie
Winnie the Pooh

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:25 am

Good,,,,sounds like you have a wonderfully full life..be sure to make time for you as well. Homeschooling I'm sure is hard work but so rewarding..and you have the first hand knowledge what your children struggle with and excel at..and I'm sure you are full of patience toooo..:)

Yes, this is it for me too...it is so great that after dinner I know I'm not allowed any snacks or food and it really works for me because strange to say once that food hits the lips, I'm off and running...

Love the weekdays...I think I love them knowing the weekend is coming toooo..now if my weekends would love what the weekdays love I'm be in a super great place.

take care...busy bee!

determined

Post by determined » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:28 am

I usually struggle on Mondays...it's so hard to get back on track after the weekend. Yesterday was my best Monday since I re-started this adventure. I started the day with taking a walk with our dog & my daughter on her bike. I had cereal for breakfast & then the day started rolling. By the time I was back inside after planting garlic & working on getting the veggie garden cleared, it was mid-afternoon. When I started making dinner around 4:30, I realized that I hadn't eaten lunch. WHAT? Forgetting to eat is just not something I do. It's happened a couple of times in the last few weeks & it's amazing. I don't think meal-skipping is generally a good idea, but this "forgetting to eat" stuff is just plain bizarre.

Today is swimming day...I'm hoping to do 30 laps again, as I did on Saturday.

janie
Winnie the Pooh

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:19 pm

yes, i do have to admit, monday's are a little tough..i think for me it is because normally if i ate the way i did in the past such as on the S days, i would have thrown in the towel..but nope...not this time...

not when i can taste sanity on the horizon!

deb

determined

Post by determined » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:23 pm

Sanity on the horizon is a fabulous thing!!!

hugs...janie
Winnie the Pooh

determined

Post by determined » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:58 am

I'm off to have another green day....

janie
Winnie the Pooh

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:27 pm

Have a great green day!!!!
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:11 am

How is your week so far?

My hubby is getting used to the idea no snacks during the week for me..we stopped at a store yesterday and he asked if I wanted some cheese popcorn..I said no thanks..it's the weekday...I do let him buy it for me on the weekends...

Knowing I can have something on the weekend guilt free is so worth the wait!

determined

Post by determined » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:30 am

NoSnacker...

Congrats on conquering that evil cheese popcorn!!

janie
Winnie the Pooh

determined

Post by determined » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:36 am

Yesterday was busy, busy, busy. I made dinner, but didn't get it done in time for me to eat before I had to leave for a school open house. The school had refreshments, but only juice & cookies (which looked delicious). I had two cups of juice & walked away from the sweets. VICTORY!! I didn't get home until after 9 so I just decided to go to bed instead of eat dinner so late. I finally feel, after attempting NoS so many times in the past few years, that I'm gaining control of my food instead of food controlling me....as if that incredible hold it's had on my whole life is lessoning...and I'm so very thankful. I'm not letting down my guard....don't think I can ever do that...but I'm encouraged & ready to keep up this fight.

I'm off to the "Y" this morning. My goal today is 64 lengths of the pool (just 8 lengths short of my mile goal).

I'm gonna make today a green day!
janie
Winnie the Pooh

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:54 pm

Hi Janie,,,,kudos to you and not having the cookies..and even passing on eating a late dinner...

It is nice to know that if we don't quit, it will work.

3 months on NoS and I'm going to attempt to have a sane weekend..no binging...binging is not part of NoS...

I was going to go to a party tonight but decided not too....just too tired after a week of work...

enjoy your weekend,
deb

determined

Post by determined » Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:57 am

Hi Deb....

Thanks for dropping by. Tomorrow starts another weekend & we have to hang on & believe even if the road is twisty & turny, we're going to get there. I also believe this is the plan that will break this stronghold in our lives....and that makes this such a battle. But we can do this....I just know it.

Hang in there Deb!!!...janie
Winnie the Pooh

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:52 am

Hi Janie, my Saturday was not too bad..I did eat a couple things that I could have did without as I was not hungry..so I would consider a mini binge..but much better than a huge binge.

Today is another day....to strive not to binge..

My N days are pretty much a habit now..now focusing on weekends and seeing what works for me so I don't feel deprived or have diet head is my next goal.

Hope your Saturday was great!

determined

Post by determined » Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:29 pm

Deb....You made progress yesterday! That's terrific!!! As long as we're moving forward, we're winning this battle!

I hope your Sunday is wonderful...

janie
Winnie the Pooh

determined

Post by determined » Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:33 pm

Yesterday was a very full, but good day. "Full" as in things to do, not food...lol. I had a couple of snacks & we had our weekend homemade ice cream for dessert. This one was our favorite - peanut butter cup! I only had a few bites 'cause it was very rich & filling. My stomach is growling this morning so I guess I didn't overdo it. We're having friends over for dinner tonight - chili & cornbread.

I got to the "Y" yesterday but didn't get a full mile of swimming in. My daughter & I stopped at a garage sale & used up some of our time so the "Y" ended up being cut short since the childcare area is only open until 1:00. I got 45 minutes of swimming in though...better than none at all. I'll try for a mile again on Tuesday night.

Off & running...

janie
Winnie the Pooh

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:17 am

Hi Janie, just stopping by a few people's daily posts that have supported me continually to let everyone know I'm going to be jumping off the No S website until my yearly check in in January. Not giving up, just going to use my morning time more wisely, like working out, sleeping in, etc.

I plan on using my habitcal as I think it is a great tool.

Much continued success to you..thanks for all your support over the last 3 months!

deb

determined

Post by determined » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:12 pm

NoSnacker...Thanks for dropping in & letting me know what your plan is. I'll look forward to catching up with you in January.

janie
Winnie the Pooh

determined

Post by determined » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:15 pm

I love weekends :D . We had friends over for dinner last night & I enjoyed chili & cornbread - and an extra half piece of cornbread without guilt! The apple crisp was yummy & I know it tasted even better because I hadn't overeaten. I'm ready to start another green week. Mondays are always the most difficult for me, as I love to snack, but I'm determined to conquer those temptations today. I'm just plain not giving up this time.

Determined...
Winnie the Pooh

determined

Post by determined » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:31 am

Yesterday was green, but it could have ended up as red! It was the hardest day I've had in a long time. I wanted to snack in the afternoon & I wanted to eat dessert at night! I didn't do either of those things, but the temptation was strong yesterday. I know that whenever I survive days like that, the NoS habits are becoming more ingrained. I'm just thankful to add another green mark on HabitCal instead of red for yesterday!

Today is a swim day & hopefully I'll accomplish another mile.

janie
Winnie the Pooh

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:30 pm

Chili and cornbread. Yum!

Good job on resisting temptation yesterday!
Maintenance is progress.

determined

Post by determined » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:53 pm

Thanks!!!

janie
Winnie the Pooh

nlb

Post by nlb » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:13 pm

Janie, good for you resisting the "S" temptations on a Monday. There really is a satisfaction in knowing that in 4 days or so you can that which you were craving. I know this past weekend I had a couple things and then wanted a Wt Watchers ice cream sandwich on Sunday night. But I had eaten enough dinner and I knew the sugar would keep me awake so I resisted saying 'they will keep".

nlb

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:53 am

I agree with Monday's being hard. hopefully weekends will get saner and it won't be such a leap!!!! Sounds like you had a nice weekend keep it up the more you resist the more you strenthen that "muscle to resist"
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139

determined

Post by determined » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:56 am

Thanks Snapdragon!

janie
Winnie the Pooh

determined

Post by determined » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:39 am

nlb...Great job on deciding not to eat the ice cream sandwich, even if it would have been okay to do so. This whole journey is interesting, isn't it? It's wonderful to watch the emphasis on food diminish as we have more control about when & where we eat. I love it!

Thanks for stopping by...

janie
Winnie the Pooh

determined

Post by determined » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:52 am

Wednesday. Halfway through the week...I like Wednesdays.

I ate well yesterday & got to the "Y" in the evening. I didn't think I'd be able to swim a whole mile, both because of time constraints and because my 51-year old body just plain wanted to give up! BUT, I'd told my whole world that I'd accomplished a mile last Wednesday so I HAD to prove to myself & my family that I'm serious about this 3-miles a week goal. I finished my mile last night & it really felt wonderful to get there. I'm a wimp & only do the backstroke, but I'm swimming constantly for an hour & I'm at my physical limits when I'm done....so I consider the whole thing a huge victory. My husband asked me what my next goal is and I replied, "To not give up."

Off to make today a lovely shade of green...

janie
Winnie the Pooh

Pangelsue2

Post by Pangelsue2 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:19 pm

Great accomplishment. Congratulations. This journey is not something we totally do or totally screw up. It is steps and stages. The forward steps just have to exceed the backward ones. It is ultimate forward motion. Woo hoo for you.
I'm baaaack.

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:06 pm

Wow a mile doing backstroke is great. I don't think I could do that there is nothing wimpy about that. Awesome shoulder and chest work there!
Good job!!!
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139

determined

Post by determined » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:47 pm

Pangelsue2 & Snapdragon...Thanks so much for stopping by. I feel so encouraged to know there are people here cheering me on...

janie
Winnie the Pooh

determined

Post by determined » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:46 am

I was SOOOO tempted to snack yesterday! I didn't, knowing that a bite here or there is the first slide off a very slippery slope for me, but it was a harder day than I anticipated. I came home last evening from doing the weekly grocery shopping and was so thankful I hadn't caved in as I walked through the chocolate section of the store! I even heard myself say, "You've only had two red days in 13 weeks...what could it hurt?" YIKES!!! guess it's clear who my own worst enemy is! The bottom line is that I escaped & was able to chalk up another green square on my calendar.

Today's a swim day....love those days.

janie
Winnie the Pooh

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:04 pm

Congrats on staying on track and on the swimming. I wish I were a little more into swimming. It is so good for you.
Maintenance is progress.

gk

Post by gk » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:52 am

determined wrote:I was SOOOO tempted to snack yesterday! I didn't, knowing that a bite here or there is the first slide off a very slippery slope for me, but it was a harder day than I anticipated. I came home last evening from doing the weekly grocery shopping and was so thankful I hadn't caved in as I walked through the chocolate section of the store! I even heard myself say, "You've only had two red days in 13 weeks...what could it hurt?" YIKES!!! guess it's clear who my own worst enemy is! The bottom line is that I escaped & was able to chalk up another green square on my calendar.
Great job resisting the chocolate! And good job with only two red days in 13 WEEKS!!! That's wonderful! What an accomplishment!

I know how you feel...a bite here or there is definately the first slide of a very slippery slope for me, too (hence, my solid red week this week after a solid green week last week). Doesn't take much, does it?

Keep it up - you're doing great!! You're an inspiration to all us struggling No S'ers..... :D
SW (as of 3/25/13): 172 lbs.
CW: 171 lbs.

determined

Post by determined » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:28 am

gk...Thanks for dropping by. You're so right - it doesn't take much to be on top of this adventure & then slip right down a slope slick with melted chocolate and into a pile of donuts & potato chip crumbs....lol. I'm so tired of trying to climb back up that mess. I think I've lived most of my life trying to gain control over this seemingly unsurmountable mountain of food.

We're going to win this....it's our turn to be the "after" stories!!!

janie
Winnie the Pooh

determined

Post by determined » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:37 am

I like Fridays even more than Wednesdays.

I got my mile swim in yesterday morning. I'm not sure when it's going to get easier, but eventually it will....or at least I hope so!

I couldn't figure out why I was so tempted to snack before dinner & then I realized that I'd forgotten to eat lunch. This has happened to me a couple of times in the past few months. I've never experienced this before in my life & it's just plain odd. I NEVER miss an opportunity to eat! LOL. As I was pondering it this morning, even though I don't think skipping meals is good for me, I realized that what might be happening is that I'm not thinking about food constantly. WHAT? This is definitely a new development...not thinking about food? Not eating because I wasn't hungry? Not racing to the fridge when the clock struck lunchtime? This is odd...truly unusual...maybe even extraordinary. It's as if....drum roll....Reinhard is right! Eating three meals a day takes the emphasis OFF food & puts it in the background, where it belongs. I'm still shaking my head over this one....

janie
Winnie the Pooh

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:41 pm

Good for you!

gk

Post by gk » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:35 pm

determined wrote:I realized that what might be happening is that I'm not thinking about food constantly. Eating three meals a day takes the emphasis OFF food & puts it in the background, where it belongs.
Congrats! Major accomplishment. I think that gaining good habits like this is just as great as any weight loss. You're setting a good example........now I just need to follow it. :)

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:33 pm

Nice to hear your doing well. Have a great weekend!
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139

determined

Post by determined » Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:08 am

Who me?, gk, and Snapdragon...

Thanks so very much for stopping by & posting your messages. Your words are so encouraging....I'm confident I wouldn't be doing as well without your support!!!

Thanks again...janie
Winnie the Pooh

determined

Post by determined » Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:48 pm

Yesterday was easy until evening. I was hungry about 8, but really didn't want to mess up my green week with a red square so I picked up my crocheting and stayed out of the kitchen. I'm relieved that I made it.

I'm off to the "Y" this morning...hopefully I'll chalk up another mile on my swim chart.

janie
Winnie the Pooh

determined

Post by determined » Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:15 pm

I swam my mile yesterday morning & that helped me have a good eating day. When I get done swimming, there's no way I want to mess up my day by overeating. My extras yesterday were a slice of chocolate chip zucchini bread (delicious) and a few handfuls of popcorn with my daughter. Overall it was a very successful yellow day.

Today is homemade ice cream day...we're trying pistachio this time.

I'm off to church & I think I'll wear the jeans I haven't been able to wear in years.

janie
Winnie the Pooh

gk

Post by gk » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:05 pm

determined wrote:My extras yesterday were a slice of chocolate chip zucchini bread (delicious) and a few handfuls of popcorn with my daughter. Overall it was a very successful yellow day.

I'm off to church & I think I'll wear the jeans I haven't been able to wear in years.
Wow....talk about control on your S days - good job!

And the jeans?...........you go girl!!!!! :)

determined

Post by determined » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:26 pm

gk...Thanks for stopping by & for the encouraging words. It's wonderful to feel cheered on!

janie
Winnie the Pooh

determined

Post by determined » Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:07 pm

Monday & I've completed 14 weeks this time around. I think I've gotten this far before, but then given up. I need to be on my guard...I truly don't ever want to give up. I'm trying to figure out what is different this time...hopefully to help me not get discouraged & stupidly let myself quit. I need to put some things down to remind myself that this way of eating is absolutely consistent with what I want.

1) Over the past two years I saw myself get heavier than I'd ever been & I was miserable. Just miserable. I felt awful, not only about how I looked, but I just felt awful. I don't want to do that again.

2) I've finally gotten over being hesitant to visit my dr. because of not wanting to be faced with getting on the scale. I just had to grow up & not worry about going back to her. As a result, she's helped me get my Vitamin D level up to normal from being practically non-existent, prescribed a mild anti-depressant for my seasonal affective disorder, and got me on a CPAP machine for severe sleep apnea. I've been watching myself get more & more active as a result of feeling better & better! THIS is a key for me....I've not felt this good or had this much energy in years...perhaps decades.

3) I've finally found an exercise I love. I LOVE to get in the pool at the "Y" and swim. I love reaching a mile three times a week...and I love knowing that I'm in better shape now than I have been in a very long time.

4) I have four kids - 3 boys, (20, 18, 16) and a 6-year old girl. The thought of not being active enough to enjoy our last blessing is awful. I want to not only keep up with her now, but be healthy enough to keep up in years to come.

5) For years I have watched two contrasting women in my life. My MIL is a sweet 90-year old woman who has never exercised. She's still in an apartment, but only able to stay there because of having help. She has struggled to walk for years & her quality of life has been affected for decades because of not being physically active. On the other hand, my 80-year old aunt has been teaching water aerobics a few days a week for the last 25 years, takes brisk daily walks, and just joined a yoga class because she's never tried one before. I've always wanted to be like her when I grow up, but it's about time I acted on that instead of just talking about it.

There. It feels good to remind myself of why I'm here. I don't want to over-analyze this....or obsess...quite the opposite. I want to learn to be a healthy eater & exercise regularly. AND, I want to end this emphasis on food in my life. No more counting, no more weighing portions, no more reading articles on weight-loss in the check-out line, and no more allowing food to suck more energy out of my life.

So here's to another green week....and three more miles in the pool....

janie
Winnie the Pooh

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:40 pm

Great post Janie! There are parts of this that I could have written about myself. I also watched my weight climb...gaining 20 lbs in 2010. I also avoided the doctor but have gotten over it. Lastly, I have remembered how good it feels to exercise. I try to mix in different types of exercise, and I wish I had your drive for swimming! However, running is my choice, and I am loving the fact that I am gradually improving.

I also look forward to retiring next year and being fit enough to enjoy it. Good luck to both of us!
Maintenance is progress.

determined

Post by determined » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:14 am

r.jean....thanks for dropping by. LOL...I wish I could be a runner! I admire anyone who can get out there & put one foot in front of the other.

We're going to beat this - it's our turn to be the "after" stories!

Have a great day...janie
Winnie the Pooh

determined

Post by determined » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:28 am

Tuesday. I'm glad Monday is over for this week. The temptation for snacking is the worst for me on Mondays. I watch my teens & my hubbie gravitate into the kitchen about 9pm & I want to join them! I don't think today will be as difficult since I plan to go swimming in the evening.

Off to chalk up another green day.....that's the plan anyway!

janie
Winnie the Pooh

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:15 pm

Thank you so much for your encouragement....I'm glad you mentioned you gave up some time ago and wish you didn't. It really is quite simple..but I guess if turning to food all this years was a comfort to me and now that I'm getting older the pounds creep on when I turn to food for reasons other than hunger.

I will keep on keepin on...one day at a time...

Sounds like you are doing great even with the Monday struggle..

p.s. I love your real truth post....thanks for sharing...

gk

Post by gk » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:26 am

I enjoyed your real truth post as well - thanks for sharing. You're doing so well - keep up the great work! :)

determined

Post by determined » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:37 am

NoSnacker & gk....thanks so much for stopping by. I feel cheered on & I appreciate it more than you can know...

janie
Winnie the Pooh

bjalda

Post by bjalda » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:33 am

determined wrote: 5) For years I have watched two contrasting women in my life. My MIL is a sweet 90-year old woman who has never exercised. She's still in an apartment, but only able to stay there because of having help. She has struggled to walk for years & her quality of life has been affected for decades because of not being physically active. On the other hand, my 80-year old aunt has been teaching water aerobics a few days a week for the last 25 years, takes brisk daily walks, and just joined a yoga class because she's never tried one before. I've always wanted to be like her when I grow up, but it's about time I acted on that instead of just talking about it.
I love this! I already made that promise to myself too. But you are right, it makes no difference if you don't act on it.
I think I am going to write a list just as yours to remind me of all the benefits that I get rom NoS. Because I too have those moments where I doubt everything, denying any improvement I've made if it isn't visible on the stupid scale.

I think you are doing a really great job & you are an inspiration to me!
Have a good week! :)

bjalda
Expectation exists when there is fear.
- Swami

determined

Post by determined » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:38 pm

bjalda,

Thanks so much for dropping by.
bjalda wrote: I too have those moments where I doubt everything, denying any improvement I've made if it isn't visible on the stupid scale.

bjalda
Isn't this the truth!! We're doing this wonderful plan where we're learning to eat in a healthy way & what do we do? We get discouraged & want to go backwards. I HATED eating the way I used to....I need all the reminders I can get that I'm absolutely headed in the right direction.

Thanks again for your encouraging words. I hope you'll have a great rest of the week.

janie
Winnie the Pooh

determined

Post by determined » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:48 pm

Wednesdays are interesting this fall. I go to a women's study on Wednesday mornings at our church. What's there? Coffee...tea...and baked goods. "Goodies", they are called. In my book, these are not "good". They should name them something else...like "Dessert". My strategy for avoiding this pitfall is to eat breakfast right before I leave, then not even amble near the table. There's never anything worth making a red square on my calendar anyway! NOT that they don't look tasty, but they call them coffee CAKES for a reason! I'm not going to bother to even try figuring out what might be okay to call breakfast. Just because they have treats every week does not mean I have to eat them. There are 80 women there...let those "goodies" call someone else's name...I'm just not going to get close enough to the table to hear them call me!

Off to finish the next green day...

janie
Winnie the Pooh

tobiasmom

hey

Post by tobiasmom » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:52 pm

Are you attending BSF or just a regular bible study at church? I go to BSF on Wednesday mornings too....but we don't have any treats. I'm kinda jealous! ha. I guess I shouldn't be. The temptation would be really tough!!! You're a rock, though. You can do it!!!

determined

Post by determined » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:05 pm

No goodies? I didn't think there WERE any women's meetings without them! lol...

I don't know of any BSF groups around here....we live in a very non- denominational area. The group I'm going to is through our church & there are four studies going on at a time. I'm going to a Beth Moore study on Daniel. I used to live in Memphis & listening to her makes me miss good BBQ and properly made sweet tea! I love Beth's studies & am looking forward to the semester.

I've heard great things about BSF. Are you doing a study of a specific book? I'm not sure how they organize the groups.

Thanks for dropping by...sure wish we could do so in person, but Texas is a bit far for meeting for coffee! I have a good friend in San Antonio...we chit chat every week & I can't believe the hot & dry summer Texas has had. I hope you get some relief soon.

Blessings...janie
Winnie the Pooh

determined

Post by determined » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:07 pm

P.S. Tobiasmom....I truly don't feel like a rock...more like a teeter-totter! One day at a time & we WILL get there!!!
Winnie the Pooh

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:56 am

determined wrote:My strategy for avoiding this pitfall is to eat breakfast right before I leave, then not even amble near the table. There's never anything worth making a red square on my calendar anyway! NOT that they don't look tasty, but they call them coffee CAKES for a reason!

There are 80 women there...let those "goodies" call someone else's name...I'm just not going to get close enough to the table to hear them call me!

Off to finish the next green day...janie
You are so funny!! And congrats on figuring out a good strategy and thought plan when you are there.

We have a Bible study on Wednesday's as well...love them. We are non-denominational as well..we were at a Baptist church for a few years that was filled with many displaced Christians,,,it was a great place to be with everyone's different backgrounds.

Okay, rambled on enough..I hope to get out for a short walk as soon as the sun starts coming up!

determined

Post by determined » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:50 am

Morning Deb....I hope today is a wonderful shade of green....

janie
Winnie the Pooh

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:22 am

Morning Janie, my day was red yesterday but there is hope for today! You have a blessed day!

determined

Post by determined » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:30 am

Deb....Hang in there friend! I PM'ed you again yesterday....don't know if you saw it or not.

janie
Winnie the Pooh

determined

Post by determined » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:42 am

Friday....ahhhh.....just one more day 'til I can count the week as completed. I'm happy to have this one almost done. It was surprisingly difficult to stay to the plan...I kept wanting to snack. Along with that, I wanted to start looking ahead to the unknown...will I be able to complete this? Will I follow my lifelong pattern & give up? Will I be able to maintain what I've lost? What if? What if? What if? These are the real stumbling blocks for me, and I am slowly learning to grab each of them and throw them out of my thoughts. I have to refuse to talk to myself negatively. Would I EVER say to a friend, "Well....are you planning to give up again?", or "Are you planning to take the rest off, or gain it all back again?", or...this is my favorite to say to myself..."You'll just fail anyway, you might as well give up now." I would NEVER say or even think those things about someone else. Again, I'm my own worst enemy!

So...I'm working on not saying any of those things to myself. If I can change this, I think a huge part of my battle will be won.

Off to the "Y" and a green day...

janie
Winnie the Pooh

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:32 pm

Wow, those are a lot of the same thoughts I had....and I think I sabotoge myself a lot..when I'm doing good...I fall..doesn't make sense.

Yes, I did read your PM, did you get my reply?? Not sure I do it right or not...Let me know if you didn't get it and maybe I can resend it, if I can figure out how..

You are doing great and an inspiration to me..fighting the thoughts it the ultimate challenge to win the battle..all starts in our head..for sure.

Hope you had fun at the Y.

Blessings,
deb

determined

Post by determined » Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:27 pm

Hi Deb...

I did get your reply from the first PM I sent, but not after the second. I just wanted to be sure I didn't say too much in the second one. I tend to put on my cheerleader hat & sometimes I get carried away!

Blessings to you my friend...

janie
Winnie the Pooh

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:45 am

Hi there...sent the PM this morning..sorry I didn't respond to your second reply..just slipped by me...

Thanks for that, it truly helps to know I have a friend in this battle/journey!

You have a great weekend..I'm getting ready to go for a walk...raining, but I like the rain :).

Blessings my friend,
deb

determined

Post by determined » Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:37 pm

SATURDAY!!!! I am so relieved to have conquered the week. I don't know what made it so difficult, but I was tempted to snack every day. I just stuck to the program & I'm on the other side....and very happy about it. I don't have any treats planned for today, but just knowing that technically I can't mess up feels wonderful. I'll be careful not to be an idiot today & I swim tomorrow...that always helps me get rid of my cravings to break the rules.

Off to get my hair cut & hit the library...

janie
Winnie the Pooh

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:53 pm

Have a great weekend!

gk

Post by gk » Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:30 pm

determined wrote:SATURDAY!!!! I am so relieved to have conquered the week. I don't know what made it so difficult, but I was tempted to snack every day. I just stuck to the program & I'm on the other side....and very happy about it.
Great job sticking with it! Enjoy your guilt-free S's! :D

determined

Post by determined » Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:53 pm

Thanks Who Me? & gk!!!

janie
Winnie the Pooh

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:20 am

Hi Janie, just stopping by to see how you made out yesterday. I finally after 2+ weeks of after dinner binging, I found a green day to give me a lift in spirit.

You would think I'm almost at my 4 months (Oct 10) mark I would know how good it feels to go to bed without stomach pains or how good it feels to wake up feeling lighter...

Hope you are doing well!

Great job making it thru last week...

determined

Post by determined » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:28 am

Hi Deb....thanks for dropping by again!!!

Tuesday...

I ate more on the weekend than I'd planned, but I wasn't an idiot so I'm happy with the yellows. We got a wonderful call from my nephew & his wife on Sunday. They've just finished their 2 years in the Peace Corps are back in the States. They are staying with us & it's just delightful to see them.

Even though I ate more than I wanted to over the weekend, yesterday was a solid green. I got another mile in at the pool yesterday too...and that always motivates me...

Off to make another green day...

janie
Winnie the Pooh