Determined's Check-In

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

determined

Post by determined » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:18 pm

Monday....

I was discouraged this weekend and it was all based on my emotions. I haven't felt this tempted to give up in a long time. But I can't. There IS no alternative for me. I ate way too much yesterday morning. It wasn't a binge, but it was close. After I ate a sandwich & way too many chips at lunch I started a dialog with myself. It went like this...

"This is ridiculous, I can't start eating badly again." (Sane person)

"I don't care. I'll never beat this thing anyway" (Emotions)

"You love feeling healthier...you love being in charge of eating instead of food controlling you." (Very Sane Person)

"But you're 51 and you've eaten badly ALL your life....you'll not win this one." (Ridiculous Emotions)

"You have a six-year old, you HAVE to be healthy for her." (Sane, Logical person)

"You can't change, you know. You'll stall out & never lose another pound." (Ignorant Emotions)

"I can choose how I eat. I can choose not to listen to my emotions any more." (Very sane person)

I realized that my emotions have nothing but, well, an emotional argument. I have to choose logic here...I have to be sane and trust the program.

I stopped eating after lunch & decided I really wasn't hungry. I made dinner for the family & even then I was still full from lunch. I have some routine bloodwork this morning & I'll eat breakfast after that, but I feel so much better, knowing that I chose to stop yesterday's rapidly spiraling eating, and choose self-control. I'm ready for green today....

janie
"Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day."
Winnie the Pooh

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:25 pm

Good to see you are doing well! It is so exciting when you are able to rediscover rings and clothes that have not been worn for a long time!
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.

it'sElla

!

Post by it'sElla » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:27 pm

YAY for sane eating!

I love it all week long, and the pride that goes with it!

Unfortunately, I have a "let's go crazy" mentality on S days. I want sanity on S days too. Just haven't figured it out yet. I'm very new here.

Congratulations for the dialog with your emotions and following logic! Awesome!

determined

Post by determined » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:43 pm

Ella & r.jean...

Thanks so much for stopping by. I'm having a much better day today after my struggle of the weekend.

Ella...We've all had those horrible weekends of eating badly. I'm sorry it was so difficult. I hope today you'll be able to pick yourself up and dust off the crumbs. Today can be a great green day!

Thanks again for dropping by my check in...

janie
Winnie the Pooh

gk

Post by gk » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:20 pm

LOVED your post today. Funny, I'm having a VERY similar conversation between my logical and emotional side today as well. Seems like this battle has been ongoing for....let's see....about 28 years now. I was thinking to myself...."What makes you think you're ever going to get a hold of this, long term anyway, cuz you always revert back to your old ways of thinking."

I popped onto the bulletin board, hoping for some inspiration, and then I read your post. You struggled but you chose to listen to logic and feel better because of it. Thank you for sharing - you helped me choose a much greener path today. 8)

Great job - keep it up!!
SW (as of 3/25/13): 172 lbs.
CW: 171 lbs.

determined

Post by determined » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:08 am

gk...I often come here for some support when I'm struggling & to know that something I wrote encouraged you & helped you today truly made my day.

Isn't it amazing how much power our emotions have? I've been an emotional eating for my whole life...and I'm tired of it!

I'm so glad you had a good day....we are both going to win this !!!

janie
Winnie the Pooh

determined

Post by determined » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:13 pm

I want a cupcake.
Winnie the Pooh

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:51 pm

I hear that. But think how much better you're going to feel when get to the end of the day without one.

Hang in there!
Julie

Sweetness
Location: Fall and winters in Cuernavaca, Morelos Mexico and summers in St Paul, Minnesota

Post by Sweetness » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:05 am

determined wrote:I want a cupcake.
When that happens to me I have a cup of healthy hot chocolate. 1 heaping Tbsp plain cocoa, a pinch of salt, boiling water 3/4 of the mug, then whole milk up to the top, sweeten to taste. I use stevia. Yum. If that doesn't work read your great post from yesterday!!

You can do this! 8)
Patty

Anxiety in a person's heart weighs him down, but an encouraging word brings him joy. (Proverbs 12:25 NET)
I'm a glutton for encouragement.

determined

Post by determined » Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:26 am

Julie & Patty...

Thanks for your support! I was making cupcakes (chocolate...from scratch...with homemade frosting) for my kids today & I wanted to lick my fingers & then snarf down a few cupcakes....but I didn't! I kept washing my hands & I put the utensils in the sink the second I was done with them. Posting that I wanted to have a cupcake really helped me avoid eating something I might have enjoyed for a very short minute, but would have derailed my day, if not my week.

Thanks for being here for me!!!

Hugs...janie
Winnie the Pooh

Sweetness
Location: Fall and winters in Cuernavaca, Morelos Mexico and summers in St Paul, Minnesota

Post by Sweetness » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:05 am

Good job!! You are doing great!! 8)
Patty

Anxiety in a person's heart weighs him down, but an encouraging word brings him joy. (Proverbs 12:25 NET)

Okaybear

Post by Okaybear » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:15 am

You had the frosting ON YOUR FINGERS and you kept the NoS train on the track?

:shock:
:D

Successes like these make this noobie try extra hard. Thanks for being such a great example!

determined

Post by determined » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:51 am

Thanks Patty!

Okaybear...LOL...I DID! That might have been the first time in my life, but I really did survive the afternoon without even a lick. I knew if I licked my fingers I wouldn't be able to stop. I'm very, very thankful I survived the day!

Thanks for dropping by...janie
Winnie the Pooh

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:23 am

determined wrote:Julie & Patty...

Thanks for your support! I was making cupcakes (chocolate...from scratch...with homemade frosting) for my kids today & I wanted to lick my fingers & then snarf down a few cupcakes....but I didn't! I kept washing my hands & I put the utensils in the sink the second I was done with them. Posting that I wanted to have a cupcake really helped me avoid eating something I might have enjoyed for a very short minute, but would have derailed my day, if not my week.

Thanks for being here for me!!!

Hugs...janie

Janie, I don't know if I love my kids enough to go through making homemade treats for them, especially not chocolate!! LOL!! Couldn't it have waited till Saturday?? Wow, but you did it, amazing. You did freeze one for the weekend, right? :lol:
Patty

determined

Post by determined » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:09 pm

Sweetness...

LOL...My son just got home from college & I'm in mom-mode. I just have a few weeks to make all his favorites before he heads back again. None of my four kids have eating issues, thankfully. I find it freeing to be able to make them treats & survive the temptation to join them.

Thanks for stopping by!

janie
Winnie the Pooh

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:49 am

Happy Thanksgiving and thanks for stopping by my thread! Blessings,
Patty

determined

Post by determined » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:01 pm

Patty...Happy Thanksgiving to you too!!!

janie
Winnie the Pooh

determined

Post by determined » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:07 pm

Thanksgiving! I'm so very thankful for so much. I finally feel as if I'm being healed from this life-long food dysfunction. I am not where I want to be with this whole adventure, but I'm so much healthier physically & emotionally than I was last year. I'm not going to give up...

Thanksgiving morning at our house includes a tradition of homemade donuts. I have them rising as I type. We'll eat dinner around 4 and have pie in the evening. I decided I needed a plan. I will enjoy a donut, or two at the very most. Then I'm not going to snack at all. I don't NEED a snack today. I'll enjoy one delicious plate of food at dinner...and try to eat it slower than I usually snarf down food. Then, if I want any seconds, I'll eat them without guilt. I'll have a small piece of the two kinds of pies....period. I usually don't put parameters on food on "S" days, but I want to be under control this year. I just plain don't want to be an idiot today.

Happy Thanksgiving to anyone to drops by!!!

janie
Winnie the Pooh

gk

Post by gk » Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:06 am

Thanks so much for dropping by my post lately! I enjoy reading your posts and appreciate all of your support. You're a great "No S Buddy" - it helps so much to attempt No S when you know you're not in it alone and that others really "get" what it's like to battle this constant struggle with sane eating.

I'm impressed with your Thanksgiving Day "plan". Whether you followed through or not is irrelevant, as just the fact that you were thinking of following any kind of plan on Thanksgiving Day shows that you have made progress in this hard-won battle. Keep it up - you're doing great!

Oh, by the way....I've been meaning to tell you that I really like your signature line. For some reason, every time I read it I feel calmer. Because, it is true, isn't it?---we WILL all get there eventually.

Have a great weekend! :)

tobiasmom

hey

Post by tobiasmom » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:12 pm

What an awesome plan! Those donuts sound amazing........

Pangelsue2

Post by Pangelsue2 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:55 pm

thanks for dropping by with the encouragement, determined. I think I am trying to head in the same direction you are going. It is not about past failures or future successes. It is about each and every decision taken one at a time. You inspired that decision and are helping me form it in my head.
Hope you had a great Thanksgiving and enjoyed the donuts, pie and abundance that is the Thanksgiving experience.
I'm baaaack.

determined

Post by determined » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:45 pm

Thanks for dropping by everyone!!!

It's been a week since I was here....I'm not sure where the time went!

I struggled over the weekend. I'm definitely back on track, but I had a hard time with my emotions. I've never stayed with any eating plan for this long in my life. There are moments when I just plain want to give in to my emotions and give up. I had a red day on Friday...I've picked myself up, brushed off the crumbs & now I'm in a much better emotional place.

I now have a bet with one of my sons. He wants to chalk up 250 miles of running and I want to add 70 more miles of swimming to my exercise chart. We're now in a race to see who can finish first. The winner buys lunch at Chipoltle....and I'm NOT going to lose.

I had a great visit with my dr. on Tuesday to review some routine blood work. I might start a thread on the results....

janie
Winnie the Pooh

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:23 pm

Good luck at the doctors!!!!
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139
Willingness without action is fantasy

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:58 am

that's great that you and your son can challenge each other. Hope your tests turn out good.
Patty

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:45 am

Janie, Thanks for stopping by my thread, have a great weekend!! 8)
Patty

freegirl

Post by freegirl » Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:33 pm

Janie, thanks for providing encouragement on my thread. :D

determined

Post by determined » Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:29 pm

Thanks for the encouraging words everyone...I love it here...

THIS is weird....it's a yellow day & I really have no desire to eat anything extra at all. I've had breakfast & lunch - both normal-sized. We got a last minute invitation to dinner at a restaurant we've never been to & I'm looking forward to the company and the food. I'll have dessert if I want to, but I might not...it's wonderful to have the freedom either way.

I've decided to track my swimming here...I have to beat my son!

janie

Swimming...30.25 miles
Winnie the Pooh

tobiasmom

hey

Post by tobiasmom » Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:12 pm

30 miles of swimming? Oh, my goodness. I don't even know what that would look like! Amazing!!!

Just wanted to say you are doing wonderful. Love those numbers from the doc! I also have PCOS.

This board is just the best! And you are part of that!!!! Thank you.

gk

Post by gk » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:18 pm

determined wrote:THIS is weird....it's a yellow day & I really have no desire to eat anything extra at all. I've had breakfast & lunch - both normal-sized. We got a last minute invitation to dinner at a restaurant we've never been to & I'm looking forward to the company and the food. I'll have dessert if I want to, but I might not...it's wonderful to have the freedom either way.
Now THAT is a sign of true success!!! Way to go!! :D

determined

Post by determined » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:28 pm

Tobiasmom...I'm so thankful to have a great pool at the "Y" to swim. I've always loved to swim, but this is the first time I've ever used it for exercise & it's been wonderful. My next goal is 100 miles so I can beat my son while he tries to get to 250 miles of running. Wanting to beat that boy is highly motivating! lol

It wasn't until a few years ago that I understood how much the PCOS affects weight control. I've known I had it since I was 18...you'd think I would have heard SOMETHING from a dr. about that along the way!

Thanks for stopping by....I hope you have a great green week!

janie
Winnie the Pooh

determined

Post by determined » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:30 pm

gk...Thanks!!! It was an unusual day, to say the least! I enjoyed dinner with our friends, but the dessert thing was solved since the restaurant didn't have any. Decision made! I ate extra things on Sunday, but the day was fine.

Thanks again for stopping by! janie
Winnie the Pooh

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:32 pm

Thank you for your encouragement!!!!!
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139
Willingness without action is fantasy

determined

Post by determined » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:35 pm

Tuesday...I'm sitting here working on my grocery list & adding ingredients to make more of our favorite Christmas cookies. I survived making Peanut Butter Blossoms a few days ago...today I need to make Gingerbread Cookies and get them in the freezer immediately! They are definitely my downfall. I'll wait until after lunch to make them so at least I won't be truly hungry when they come out of the oven...warm...chewy...delicious...just waiting for someone to bite their heads off....lol....

janie

Swimming...31.25 miles
Winnie the Pooh

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:29 pm

Baking cookies is a very daring thing to do, sure it wouldn't be wise for me, but if you have the courage of your convictions, go for it!!! :lol:
Patty

determined

Post by determined » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:52 pm

Hi Patty...

I've spoiled my kids by making their favorite cookies every year for Christmas. My game plan is to eat lunch first, then bake the cookies & leave just enough out for the kids to sample two, then they go right in the downstairs freezer, not to be seen again until Christmas Eve. None of my four kids have eating issues so I feel as if I'm the one who has to adjust. I don't usually have difficulties with sweets during the week so I can conquer these....it's snacking that's my downfall!

Thanks for dropping by...

janie
Winnie the Pooh

determined

Post by determined » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:27 pm

Friday...

Friday? How did THAT happen? The days just seem to zoom by. I tried on a sweater this morning that never fit before. The shoulders & arms were always too snug so it was buried in the back of the closet. I'm wearing it now 'cause it fits wonderfully. Needless to say, I'm encouraged.

janie
Swimming total...32.5
Winnie the Pooh

gk

Post by gk » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:34 pm

determined wrote:I tried on a sweater this morning that never fit before. The shoulders & arms were always too snug so it was buried in the back of the closet. I'm wearing it now 'cause it fits wonderfully. Needless to say, I'm encouraged.
That's wonderful!! :D

determined

Post by determined » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:39 pm

Thanks so much gk!

janie
Winnie the Pooh

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:42 pm

Yay, that's great! It's about the best encouragement to be found, I think.

determined

Post by determined » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:26 pm

thtrchic...You're so right!!! This process is slow, but those moments of progress are golden!

Thanks so much!

janie
Winnie the Pooh

Pangelsue2

Post by Pangelsue2 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:55 pm

There is nothing sweeter than success! Congratulations. It was hard work but I bet it is really worth it. Enjoy the day in that sweater. You earned it.
I'm baaaack.

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:58 am

Janie,
That's great news about your sweater!! I put on a shirt today over my turtleneck and realized that the last time I wore it I wore it with a body shaper under it, and IT LOOKS BETTER ON ME TODAY WITHOUT THE SHAPER EVEN WITH THE EXTRA BULK OF A TURTLENECK. So I'm encouraged too!!

May this encourage us to stick with No S for the holidays! :lol:
Patty

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:24 pm

Great feeling isn't it?! Keep it up!

determined

Post by determined » Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:19 pm

Thanks everyone! I DID have a great day in my now-fitting sweater. I kept waiting for it to feel tight again, as if I was just mistaken when I put it on - but that never happened! It was a great feeling.

Sweetness - GOOD FOR YOU!!!!! Congrats on that sweater fitting so well.

Thanks again....Hugs to you...janie
Winnie the Pooh

determined

Post by determined » Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:27 pm

The weekend is over & the hardest day of the week has begun. I think Mondays are difficult...but I'm going to get through it.

The weekend was nice...I had a couple of treats, but nothing over the top at all. I made my favorite Christmas cookies and just had one. The rest are now in the downstairs freezer & we'll take a few out at a time when we want them.

Since Christmas is on a Sunday this year, I don't intend to take any extra special days this month. I don't have an office party & spouses aren't included in my husband's office get together. I'll see how things go, but I'm hoping to keep treats to just the weekends. I'm determined to make a dent in this body by the next time I see my dr....February.

Off to get my to-do list accomplished.

janie
Winnie the Pooh

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:41 pm

Isn't it just great that one favorite cookie is enough? I'm proud of you! :wink:
Patty

determined

Post by determined » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:51 pm

Patty....Thanks so much. It's so freeing to be in control of my food instead of the food controlling me!

My DH & I are off to do some Christmas shopping after I go to my Bible study. Our 6-year old is spending the night at a friend's house so I'll get work done on the renovation of the dollhouse we're giving her for Christmas. After that, our oldest son should be rolling in from college for his break. He's got a 9-hour drive, but thankfully he has two friends traveling with him. I need to be careful with my eating while he's home since I'll be making a lot of his favorite foods while he's here. He lives off-campus at school so he's excited that I'll be cooking for him. And I love doing it.

I know that's not really an update on food, but it's my day in a nutshell. Eating is going fine...I'm just trusting the plan and taking one day at a time.

janie

Swimming...35.75
Winnie the Pooh

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:24 pm

You really are doing fantastic! Congratulations on such amazing changes to your attitude and eating!

Enjoy your day,
Julie

determined

Post by determined » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:42 am

Julie...Thanks for stopping by with your kind words!!!

I can't believe it's been over a week since I updates. All is well, I've just been really busy....

janie
Winnie the Pooh

determined

Post by determined » Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:04 pm

Another week without checking in! I didn't do as well as I'd hoped this past week, but I'm not beating myself up about it. Today is Tuesday & determined to be back on track today. I'm not sure if I'll swim today or not, tomorrow is definitely on the schedule. I'm ready to get back in the pool...

janie
Winnie the Pooh

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:22 pm

Just saying hi.

determined

Post by determined » Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:19 pm

Hi Snapdragon! Thanks for dropping by...

All's well here. I had a rough few days last week & again I could clearly see that my emotional state was tripping me up. It definitely corresponded to PMS too...I have to watch that in the future.

I only got to the pool once last week & that probably contributed to my lack of determination.

I'm back on track though. I thought I'd really struggle to get back to green, but I was happy to see that it really wasn't that difficult. I gave myself a Yellow day on Dec. 26, then had 4 greens in a row. I'm not sure if I'll give myself another yellow on Monday, Jan 2nd or not....but I've decided not to obsess over the decision.

Off to get the day rolling....janie
Winnie the Pooh

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:41 pm

Janie,
Congrats on the 4 greens! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: It's great when the habit kicks in!

Thanks for stopping by my thread. Happy new year to you and yours,
((:wink:)) hugs,
Patty

determined

Post by determined » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:43 am

My son left to go back to school today...and I'm finally feeling better after a yucky cold so it's time to get back to daily recording. I've missed a week of swimming & it's time to get back to that too. I've decided not to beat myself up over not having a perfect two weeks & just consider it a break...I'm ready to have more routine again...

janie
Winnie the Pooh

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:16 pm

Welcome to the club! Christmas week was rough on the routine! Back on track here too!
Maintenance is progress.

determined

Post by determined » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:54 pm

r.jean....good for you being back on track so quickly!

janie
Winnie the Pooh

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:27 pm

Just stopping by, glad you're feeling better.
((Hugs))
Patty

determined

Post by determined » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:18 pm

Hi Patty...Thanks so much for dropping by!

Yesterday was another green & that felt great. I'm hoping to get back in the pool today, but I'm not going to beat myself up if I don't make a mile. I'm still coughing like crazy & if I start coughing in the pool it won't be fun. I'll do what I can & I know I'll get back on track with that as soon as this cold runs it's course.

I've thought a lot about maintenance these past couple of weeks. I haven't lost as much weight as I'd hoped this year, but I know based on how I feel & what my bloodwork says, I'm so much healthier than I was last April. I think the biggest thing I've learned is how to get back on track after a bad day. I've been on so many diets in my life & I couldn't even begin to count them...and I've quit after every single one. I think my parents were so concerned that I'd weigh too much based on my weird endocrine system, and as a result hammered dieting into my head. I remember the first diet being at age 5, even though I wasn't heavy. Sadly, they really didn't know how to eat in a healthy way so I started that dieting cycle so very early. I'm gotten way passed blaming them...they did the best they knew how to do. I just see it as part of my life experience. Perhaps that's part of the reason I'm so thankful to be where I am. I might have more weight to lose to be truly healthy, but I'm gaining the lifetime habits I absolutely need.

I'm determined not to quit...

janie
Winnie the Pooh

gk

Post by gk » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:36 pm

determined wrote:I think the biggest thing I've learned is how to get back on track after a bad day...........I might have more weight to lose to be truly healthy, but I'm gaining the lifetime habits I absolutely need.

I'm determined not to quit...
That is a HUGE accomplishment. Without that skill, frustration builds from going through the ups and downs of dieting, and binges are born. The "I'll start again tomorrow" cycle is awfully difficult to stop. If you know how to pick yourself up quickly, you're well on your way. And by the way your posts have been, it is obvious that you are. :)

Plus, the fact that you've been basically dieting since you were 5 yrs. old shows that it is a major lifestyle change in the way you are approaching food, and you are DOING IT. You are SUCCEEDING in changing things and not just copping to the excuse that "it's been that way so long, it's too late to change". I love your determination and you give inspiration to the rest of us.....to keep pushing on....that we can do this no matter what!

Hope that you feel better soon! Take care! :)

determined

Post by determined » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:52 pm

gk....Thank you SO much. You have no idea how much your encouraging words mean. We're both going to win this...we really are.

Thanks, thanks & more thanks....you made my day.

janie
Winnie the Pooh

determined

Post by determined » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:15 pm

Friday was a green day...and an easy green too. I didn't get my swimming in because I'm still coughing a lot, but I did ride an exercise bike for 40 minutes. I'm hoping to get some swimming done this weekend.

Today's treat will be making homemade oreos with my son. I'm planning to wait until this evening to bake them though so I won't be tempted to eat them all day.

janie
Winnie the Pooh

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:22 pm

determined wrote:Friday was a green day...and an easy green too. I didn't get my swimming in because I'm still coughing a lot, but I did ride an exercise bike for 40 minutes. I'm hoping to get some swimming done this weekend.

Today's treat will be making homemade oreos with my son. I'm planning to wait until this evening to bake them though so I won't be tempted to eat them all day.

janie
good for you on the exercise and the green!! :mrgreen: I've been getting into walking again, more than just a few minutes.

Never heard of homemade oreos! I bet they're lots better than the real ones, otherwise you could just buy a package. Let me know how they turn out. That's a good plan to wait till evening.
Patty

determined

Post by determined » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:58 pm

Hi Patty...

The homemade oreos came out great! I'll not be making them often though! :D

I finally got back in the pool yesterday & it felt great. I'm still coughing, but it wasn't a problem in the pool...

I had a few treats over the weekend, but it wasn't anything I'd consider over the top. I'm determined to have a healthy week...

janie
Swimming - 39.75 miles
Winnie the Pooh

gk

Post by gk » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:17 pm

Here's to a GREEN week! You can do it!! :D

determined

Post by determined » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:33 pm

Thanks gk...you're so sweet to drop by!

janie
Winnie the Pooh

determined

Post by determined » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:26 pm

Doing fine...just not checking in as often. I got my swimming in on Wednesday night, but I don't think I'll make it to the "Y" today. We have a bunch of snow & more to come. If the roads are okay I'll go, but I'm not obsessing about it.

Eating has been so-so. I had a red day on Wednesday, but eating well yesterday was easy. Again, I'm trying not to obsess...just trust the plan & keep going.

janie
Winnie the Pooh

milliem

Post by milliem » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:27 pm

Well done for getting back onto a green day after a red - I'm hoping to emulate your success today! :)

gk

Post by gk » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:47 pm

Hope all is still going well with you. :)

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:18 pm

Stopping by, hope you're having a good week! 8)
Patty

determined

Post by determined » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:09 am

Thanks so much for checking in with me! I haven't been around for a few weeks & I think I just needed a break from pondering this whole area of my life. I've had a few red days, but I'm not beating myself up over them. I really haven't eaten a lot....just haven't been disciplined with snacking. I've also had a hard time getting time in the pool. It was closed because of a broken pipe & then I've had some scheduling problems. I've really missed it though so I know I'll be back in the swing of things with exercise soon.

I've had a few really solidly good eating days this week & I'm more determined than ever to win this battle...

Thanks again...janie
Winnie the Pooh

determined

Post by determined » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:18 pm

Enough is enough...I need to get back here on a regular basis. I'm still eating okay...I'm still exercising, but I'm not having really disciplined days, as I was before December. I'm usually technically on plan, but I'm eating too much at my meals...and definitely eating too much on the weekends. I haven't gained back weight, but I haven't lost anything more. So...I'm here. I'm going to pick up where I left off & hopefully keep making progress. I suppose if I think about it, though, my progress is that I haven't given up...I'm still here after seven months. I think that's a record for me.

Off to make today a lovely shade of green.

janie
Winnie the Pooh

determined

Post by determined » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:25 pm

I love a green week. It's taken awhile to get back to being disciplined, but I'm moving ahead & that feels great.

janie

swimming=47 miles
Winnie the Pooh

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:26 am

You sound like me! It s hard to get back on track after the holidays, isn't it? Just remember, MAINTENANCE IS PROGRESS!
Maintenance is progress.

gk

Post by gk » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:20 am

Way to go - keep it up! :)

Pangelsue2

Post by Pangelsue2 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:45 pm

Hopefully, you are back on track. It sounds like you are "determined". Best of luck although luck has nothing to do with it, I guess.
I'm baaaack.

determined

Post by determined » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:45 pm

Wow...I finally have decided to get here on a regular basis again & it almost seems like a different site. There are so many new people! It's great, but it'll take me awhile to get to know everyone again.

The past two months have been interesting. I've determined a few things...A) January & February are my worst months emotionally. Therefore, for me, they are my worst months with eating habits. I live in a very cloudy area & have been taking meds for Seasonal Affective Disorder. These have greatly helped this year, but the habits of years & years of winter eating were difficult. I didn't completely fall off the NoS wagon, but I didn't make much progress either. BUT, I kept swimming on a regular basis and I maintained. As r.jean said, "MAINTENANCE IS PROGRESS!"

Perhaps by next winter I'll be further down the NoS road, but today I'm not beating myself up. I'm healthier today than I've been in years...that has to be success.

janie
Winnie the Pooh

Eileen7316

Post by Eileen7316 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:28 pm

Sounds like success to me!
Eileen

determined

Post by determined » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:36 pm

Thanks very much Eileen!

janie
Winnie the Pooh

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:18 pm

Good to see you here again. And I second eileen!

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:17 am

I am glad you are back! It sounds like you maintained some of your good habits during the time you were gone. That is great, especially the swimming.

I have been pretty casual about the rules of No S the last 2 months as well, and I posted my first gain in Feb which was month 14 of No S for me. I enjoyed an indulgent 2 week vacation during Feb, and I was 2 lbs up on March 1.

I guess it is time for both of us to get back in the groove!

determined

Post by determined » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:57 am

Thanks everyone!

Green day yesterday. My oldest son is home on spring break this week & it's hard to resist the treats I've made for him....but I succeeded yesterday in ignoring the chocolate chip cookies and I'm very happy about that!

janie
Winnie the Pooh

determined

Post by determined » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:17 pm

It's so hard to get back in the habit of being here on a daily basis! I've had a few really good days & that's encouraging. I'm going to swim tonight no matter what. It's been hard to get my own car since our second son is now driving & uses it for baseball practice. I just have to put my foot down and re-claim my transportation. I NEED to swim!

janie
Winnie the Pooh

determined

Post by determined » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:20 pm

It's so hard to get back in the habit of being here on a daily basis! I've had a few really good days & that's encouraging. I'm going to swim tonight no matter what. It's been hard to get my own car since our second son is now driving & uses it for baseball practice. I just have to put my foot down and re-claim my transportation. I NEED to swim!

janie
Winnie the Pooh

gk

Post by gk » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:03 pm

Just keep swimming.....just keep swimming.........Sorry, just got back from Disneyland, where we watched a "Finding Nemo" musical. Your notations about swimming reminded me of Dory and her encouraging words. :) (Hopefully, you've seen "Finding Nemo", and this all makes sense to you. :) )

Keep up the great work! I'm back after a bit of a break, also. Ready to slim down for summer. 8)

Enjoy the rest of your week!

determined

Post by determined » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:37 am

gk...LOL...I think about that line from Finding Nemo almost every time I get in the pool. Usually it crosses my mind when I'm halfway through & just want to give up!

Thanks for dropping by...

janie
Winnie the Pooh

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:11 pm

Hi Janie, my apologies, I didn't stop by since I have returned..was reading old threads where you said that it took you a few times to get it.

I was looking at my habitcal..when I started last June, the first couple months was great...then over the course of the following months the reds came more and more.

I guess my S days did me it, it was harder and harder to get back on track on Monday's.

So I'm going to give it another shot...I dropped away, then went back on spark people only to find counting was a pain and stuff.

So far I have 5 green days..today is an S day and I'm praying not a S day gone wild..I'm in control..

Have a great weekend.
Age 56: SBMI=30.6 (12/1/13) CBMI 28.9 (2/2/14) GBMI-24.8

determined

Post by determined » Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:58 pm

Deb...NO apologies! I'm just so glad to see you again. I've had a rather difficult winter too so I've not been here very often. I've maintained, but man, it's been hard to get back on the track I was on. This week was my first truly green week in a long time. I have to keep reminding myself that last winter was a LOT worse...I was a mess last winter!

So we're moving forward & that's definitely progress!

Hugs to you my friend...janie
Winnie the Pooh

determined

Post by determined » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:11 am

It feels so good to be back on track again. I've always known that winter was the hardest season for me emotionally & even though this year was a lot better, just hanging on was the best I could do. I'm eating better now & the past 9 days have been easy....amazingly easy & I'm grateful...

I'm still swimming regularly, but I haven't counted my miles in awhile. I only did a couple of miles a week over the winter, but I didn't give up. For me, this is victory.

janie
Winnie the Pooh

gk

Post by gk » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:38 am

determined wrote: I'm eating better now & the past 9 days have been easy....amazingly easy & I'm grateful...

I'm still swimming regularly, but I haven't counted my miles in awhile. I only did a couple of miles a week over the winter, but I didn't give up. For me, this is victory.
You are doing so well! Awesome job!! :D

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:35 pm

Hi Janie, sounds like you are finding your footing again....9 days of sanity and adding more :)

I still feel like I'm on a diet, I suppose any restriction will make be feel that way..

Long day today, getting ready to relax..

have a good one,
deb
Age 56: SBMI=30.6 (12/1/13) CBMI 28.9 (2/2/14) GBMI-24.8

determined

Post by determined » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:01 pm

gk & Deb....Thanks so much for dropping by with encouraging words. I am having the hardest time getting back in the habit of just being here every morning. I really want to cheer everyone on, but I'm finding myself forgetful of logging in! Part of that has to do with having to share my laptop...our other computer has died and now the kids want mine on a regular basis! I would complain about it, but our 16-yr old is writing a book and is on Chapter 16. If he was just playing games, I'd be on his case for wanting to be on the computer so much.

So my thought for the week is this...if I just work the program I'll lose the weight. Period. I keep letting myself get discouraged & the bottom line is that I think I think too much. I don't need to be concerned about anything other than sticking to the rules. I know that when I do that, I start losing. I'm exercising...I'm not eating junk...I need to stop analyzing and concentrate on something else...like gardening or knitting or whatever improves my day. Just work the program. That's my theme for now.

janie
Winnie the Pooh

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:34 pm

Good to see you are still around. HOWEVER.you need to become part of the daily crowd again. See you soon!
Maintenance is progress.

determined

Post by determined » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:49 am

r.jean...LOL! I'll do my best!!!

janie
Winnie the Pooh

ZippaDee

Post by ZippaDee » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:36 am

So my thought for the week is this...if I just work the program I'll lose the weight. Period. I keep letting myself get discouraged & the bottom line is that I think I think too much. I don't need to be concerned about anything other than sticking to the rules. I know that when I do that, I start losing. I'm exercising...I'm not eating junk...I need to stop analyzing and concentrate on something else...like gardening or knitting or whatever improves my day. Just work the program. That's my theme for now.
A big AMEN to that! I agree wholeheartedly! It all boils down to JUST DOING IT! The rules are simple.

Have a good day!
"Rivers know this: There is no hurry. We shall get there some day." ~Winnie the Pooh ~

A Flower does not think of competing with the flower next to it. It just blooms!

Diets Don't Work.

determined

Post by determined » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:42 pm

ZippaDee...Thanks so much for dropping by! It IS simple...and I often make this so hard by thinking too much and too often. Today I'm striving for simplicity....

I hope you have a great day!

janie
Winnie the Pooh

determined

Post by determined » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:39 pm

Friday & I'm still thinking "Just work the program." I went to dinner with my hubbie last night (highly unusual!), and I enjoyed about 2/3rds of my meal & packed up the rest to take home. I ate more than I would have at home, but I didn't eat outside the rules...and that felt wonderful.

Off to make a simply green day...

janie
Winnie the Pooh

BertinHouston

Post by BertinHouston » Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:25 pm

What makes this work for most of us I guess, is the simplicity. No counting, analyzing, sorting, prioritizing or involved timing involved. Just work the program and the weight will come off. Simple. Not easy but simple. You are doing great!

determined

Post by determined » Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:12 am

Bert...Thanks for stopping by. You're right - it's the hardest simple thing I've ever done! LOL...

Have a great weekend....janie
Winnie the Pooh

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:33 am

Janie, Thanks for stopping by my thread and for the encouragement. We can do this! Hugs to you too!!
Patty

determined

Post by determined » Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:37 am

Patty....

We CAN....I really do believe it. It's such a freedom, isn't it. Eating this way takes so much emphasis away from food...the truth of this really does set us free in so many ways...

Hugs...janie
Winnie the Pooh