Herbsgirl's check in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

herbsgirl

Herbsgirl's check in

Post by herbsgirl » Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:56 am

Well I am new to all of this. I have binge eating disorder and I have read other testemonials on this forum that the No S diet has helped others with BED to overcome this.

ALmost every year, I lose 30 or 40 lbs and gain it all back. I am very strict OR I am eating everything in sight. I often start new diets or eating plans only to ditch them within a few minutes or a few days or a week. I am very familiar with Intuitive Eating type plans, and Counting bites, and one minute per bite plan.

So here I am doing Vanilla No S. I may start counting bites, Im not sure, but tommarow is starting out plain Vanilla No S. I learned to count bites with the 80 bite diet. Counting bites was a wonderful way to keep my portions down, but waiting until I am hungry is downright not fun and hard/

No S is similar to the Leptin Diet but easier, and without so many restrictions, so here I go!

Will try to check in fairly often, almost daily as of now.

I am just soooo sick of yo-yoing every 12 months or even oftner. I cant deal with it and it is not good for my body. I think the knowledge that I can have No S days will help me to be strict with the N days.

I have been exercising good with Jillian MIcheals dvds, which help to control my PCOS and insulin resistance and depression!

I also take PlusEPA which is a special almost pure EPA fish oil that helped me lose weight and fat last time? It helps control my depression and OCD also without using Meds.

Yay for No S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:12 am

Hi and WELCOME!! You have made a marvellous decision to try the No S Plan. As a former binge eater for many, many years myself, I can attest to that!

Just my humble pov, and I trust you don't mind me saying this, but if it were up to me, I would skip counting bites and just stick with the Vanilla No S. I know it is easier said than done, but even trying Vanilla No S for one week to see how you like it, if you can just take it one day, one meal at a time.
I have found nothing better for helping me get over my BED/diet obsession!! All the very best to you!!
No S-er since December 2009
Streamlined S Days: 6/25/12
SW: 170 /CW: 127
Weight loss to date: 43 lbs

herbsgirl

Post by herbsgirl » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:19 am

Thanks so much for replying and giving me tips! I agree that I should try it a bit before adding on mods.

I am just so desperate to get the weight off, sound familiar? I lost almost 30 lbs between Feb and March 2011 and gained it all back in May/June. Its so discouraging and makes me desperate.

But Ive never really tried the SLOW and STEADY tortoise wins the Race plans, Im always wanting to get it off the quicker the better. Part of me tells myself, that this might be the key, if it comes off slow and steady!!! For permanant change! Im thinking of a song, SLooooW and Steeaady

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDqHYuaeBUI

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:36 am

I hope that the No S system gives you some peace of mind, and helps calm the desperation. It really is a way to quiet the negative internal chatter and just live moderately.

I would also advise against any counting or obsessing. Slow down. Stick to the simple structure of this system. It worked for our great-grandparents. It could work for you, too.

herbsgirl

Post by herbsgirl » Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:13 pm

Day one stats 199.2 lbs
waist 34.5"
belly button 38.5" SUCCESS
belly 46"

Breakfast 7:43 or so
2 eggs with salsa
yogurt

Lunch almost 1 PM
guacolmole with chips
salad
1/2 of ham cheese sandwich Full!!!!!!!!! My stomach may be shrinking already.

Supper 5:30 pm or past

guacolmole with chips
1 6" sub from subway
plus 3" or so ate off another 6" sub from subway

herbsgirl

Post by herbsgirl » Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:28 pm

Well I got up this morning and felt skinnier already. The scales hasnt shown it but the tape measure does. About 3-4 inches or so, probably more closer to 3" off of my belly!!!!!!!!!

Yay for No S! I am just hoping I dont get discouraged at 1/2 pound a week. Because I am used to the mindset of losing wieght at 3.5 lbs a week or more, over and over again, so its going to be hard for me to change over to a slow and permanant mindset.

I just have to remind myself that losing it quickly has not got me permanent wieght loss, only temporary, for weeks or months at a time and then I gain it back. And its happned sooo many times. I dont want that do I?? No way, why lose weight if your gonna gain it back again pretty quick? Slow and Steady wins the race! The thing is, its not really a race and theres not a deadline so to speak really. Sure I would like to be skinny by my 30th birthday, but still. June 1st next year. I mean hard, restricting diets is where I run into major problems.

The 5% rule<is what I need to tell myself. The No S is what shaves off a little at a time, and then I am gradually eating way less calories without alot of effort/

Eating 3x a day is how i did when I was growing up as a girl, in my years 3-7 years old, and I was not overwieght at that time, just good normal size. I m ight have had a snack, but We had 3 meals a day as a family usually.

For some reason after I got married and became a housewife and stay at home mother, I began to snack all day long, when ever I felt like it. My mom and dad and brothers and sisters werent around to watch me. I could almost do anything I wanted so to speak. And I didnt have a job so I would go to the fridge when I Felt like it.

I am really thinking eventually that even on S days, snacking is really not a good thing for me. Because of my binge eating and constant snacking tendencies. I could get plenty of reward and treats by eating seconds and sweets just with my 3 meals on S days, but Im gonna see.... Just dont wanna go overboard on S days. Others around here have said though not to restrict too much starting out or it wont work, it will be like any other diet. Too Restrictive and you will quit.

Breakfast around 7 am
Greek Yogurt
Leftover sub sandwich

Lunch 3: 10 pm
Tomato sandwich
more tomato
cheese
Last edited by herbsgirl on Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SW 218.2 10-14-13
1 mo 193.4
2 mo 178.8
3 mo 162.8
4 mo 151.4
5 mo 146.2
72 lbs lost in 19 wks 5' 6.5" 31 years old BMI 23.1
counting bites go to: countyourbites . blogspot . com

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:09 pm

Great job, herbsgirl! Glad you found my comments helpful - I'm still very much on a learning curve, myself, btw. But I've found that I've been the most successful with the plan when, as the others have suggested, just by taking it slowly and trying not to fret too much. Again, easier said than done for a scale freak like me ! This is definitely an eating plan for life as opposed to a quick fix. Whilst the long term benefits of this are second to none (for peace of mind, least of all) I can also understand why this aspect of the plan might get frustrating after a while when loss can be (potentially - emphasis on potentially) slow. This isn't the case for everyone, I hasten to add. Obviously, each individual is unique: body type, metabolism, medical history, eating preferences etc, etc. the list is exhaustive. I have to say, at this stage in my life where the tendency is to put on rather than lose weight (not wishing to come across as pessimistic, I hope) - to read of your ability to lose 30 lbs in a matter of weeks is absolutely phenomenal! Was there a day not so long ago when i could actually drop weight at a quicker rate? Probably but its all a distant memory now, unfortunately - LOL!!

All the very best to you on your No S journey, Herbsgirl - this board and all the folks on here are absolutely great !! Very inspirational! Whenever I feel down or disappointed with myself (on No S or in general), I come on here and its not long before I'm feeling good again!! Have a great day!!!
No S-er since December 2009
Streamlined S Days: 6/25/12
SW: 170 /CW: 127
Weight loss to date: 43 lbs

Bride

Post by Bride » Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:55 pm

Herbsgirl, we started pretty much around the same time (I'm a few weeks ahead). I've also struggled for years with binge eating, so I am in the race with you! Keep going :)

herbsgirl

Post by herbsgirl » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:18 pm

NoSRocks, thank you for your nice comments and encouragment! :D

Bride, Thanks for bringing that to my attention! I will try to keep in touch on this journey! Its nice to be able to know about others overcoming binge eating or whatever, you know, If someone else can overcome binge eating, I can too!

Also, I wont be accessing any internet until Monday, so have a good weekend,and I hope my S days go well. Im gonna try to just not go overboard and keep my 3 meals, and see what happens from there, I might decide to restrict snacking?
SW 218.2 10-14-13
1 mo 193.4
2 mo 178.8
3 mo 162.8
4 mo 151.4
5 mo 146.2

herbsgirl

Post by herbsgirl » Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:17 pm

Well, after 2 S days, Im back on an N day today!

I had scrapple with sausage and canteloupe for breakfast

MY first S days turned out ok, there was quite a bit of on and off snacking, and I had sweets, icecream and stuff

I ordered the NO S book, Im hoping it comes today!
SW 218.2 10-14-13
1 mo 193.4
2 mo 178.8
3 mo 162.8
4 mo 151.4
5 mo 146.2

herbsgirl

Post by herbsgirl » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:42 pm

Oh my goodness. For some reason I am stressed out ect or something.

I sorta did good today, I ate quite a bit at lunch, but Im gonna call it a

Success day 5 today. Maybe I havent been getting enough sleep or something! I will pray about it anyway
SW 218.2 10-14-13
1 mo 193.4
2 mo 178.8
3 mo 162.8
4 mo 151.4
5 mo 146.2

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:42 am

hi, yes the dreaded binge eating...No S for surely has helped me with that during the week..still working on the weekends..

Someone said try on S days 1 snack, 1 sweet, 1 second...I think I'll give that a try this coming weekend...

You'll love the book...I love mine.

Have a good week....

p.s. for night time bingers i think what i found for me in that respect is i eat my dinner later in the day between 6-7, but closer to 6:30 mostly...that seems to help a lot.

then in the evening i have a 1/2 c. orange juice, 1/2 c. club soda, squirt of lime juice and 1 packet of splenda...
Age 56: SBMI=30.6 (12/1/13) CBMI 28.9 (2/2/14) GBMI-24.8

herbsgirl

Post by herbsgirl » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:02 pm

Thanks NoSnacker! So far I havent had alot of trouble between meals or after supper with the urge to snack, but it might come!

I got on the scales this morning and Ive lost around 2 lbs scince starting NO S. I dont know, I might limit how often I get on the scales, not sure whats going to happen with that. Just because I know that this is a slow process. I really dont want to get discouraged.

Today is day 6 SUCESS I am craving VEGTABLES almost! For supper I am planning on having a delicious home broiled hamburger on whole wheat thin rounds, with melted cheese, garden fresh tomato, crispy onions. And a tangy Marinated Tomatoes (homemade) with olive oil and red wine vinegar. Maybe some fresh fruit too. MMMMMMMM

I am already wanting to plan more delicious meals.

I got the book today and it really does have alot of information and encouragement in it.

I noticed he said that Maintenence is more important than Progress. Ya know I am always usually soooooo desperate to lose weight when I go on a new restricting plan, but according to the book, its the habit that counts. Building the habit, staying on the habit is what leads to long term sucess NOT quick results and then gaining everything back again.

Has anyone read the Book The power of the bite, Losing weight one bite at a time Although some of the ideas might not apply to NO S, The basic principle rings true. Its the small things, added up over time that really make a BIG difference. Did you know that 6 less bites per day adds up to a 15 pound wieght loss over a years time You get the idea, if you stick with it, it will work, plain and simple

For many of us that still have wieght to lose, that sounds GREAT! I mean, 6 bites less doesnt sound like much of a sacrifice really, but 15 pounds in a year is barely more than 1 pound a month. Well, let me ask myself, would I want to be 15 pounds skinnier in a year, Yeah, it would be nice! I mean 15 pounds would put me down in the 180s. Even 1.5 pounds a month puts me at 18 pounds in a year. The more I think about it, it MAKES SO MUCH SENSE to go slow, and make it last.
SW 218.2 10-14-13
1 mo 193.4
2 mo 178.8
3 mo 162.8
4 mo 151.4
5 mo 146.2

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:29 am

Sounds like you're doing well!

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:44 am

herbsgirl wrote:really make a BIG difference. Did you know that 6 less bites per day adds up to a 15 pound wieght loss over a years time You get the idea, if you stick with it, it will work, plain and simple

For many of us that still have wieght to lose, that sounds GREAT! I mean, 6 bites less doesnt sound like much of a sacrifice really, but 15 pounds in a year is barely more than 1 pound a month. Well, let me ask myself, would I want to be 15 pounds skinnier in a year, The more I think about it, it MAKES SO MUCH SENSE to go slow, and make it last.
So glad received your book! Not sure if I mentioned I read it via my kindle twice and decided to get the paperback as well..so I can refer to sections quicker and have my notes and highlights in plain site.

You are doing great..keep up the great progress..

herbsgirl

Post by herbsgirl » Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:15 pm

Thanks NoSnacker! The book is pretty helpful! How do you feel about getting on the scales? I can see you have lost weight in your signature

I got on the scales this morning and I am down to 195.8 lbs thats 3.4 I even ate a whole hamburger and a largish portion of tomatoes and onions with olive oil last night for supper. I was quite impressed. I think I dont realize how MANY calories I was consuming by grazing and eating all day long. I would eat alot of the day PLUS overeat at meals too before. Now, Im mayabe eating 1/2 or more what I used to eat at meals PLUS not grazing all day. I dont know if eventually I will have to cut my portions to lose all of my extra wieght, but right now its still working at the portion sizes filling up alot of my plate.
SW 218.2 10-14-13
1 mo 193.4
2 mo 178.8
3 mo 162.8
4 mo 151.4
5 mo 146.2

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:18 pm

Do be aware that relying too much on the scale for peace-of-mind can be crazy-making.

It may be healthier to focus on building healthy habits, at this moment.

herbsgirl

Post by herbsgirl » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:33 pm

Who Me? wrote:Do be aware that relying too much on the scale for peace-of-mind can be crazy-making.

It may be healthier to focus on building healthy habits, at this moment.
Very true. I will be slowing down with the scale as my wieght loss slows. Probably down to once a week or maybe less eventually.
SW 218.2 10-14-13
1 mo 193.4
2 mo 178.8
3 mo 162.8
4 mo 151.4
5 mo 146.2

herbsgirl

Post by herbsgirl » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:24 pm

Day 7 SUCCESS I am quite hungry this afternoon. I ate leftovers for lunch, maybe didnt quite eat enough? I also exercised some today so maybe thats why Im hungrier.

I got a habit tracker hung on my fridge. I see GREENS and 2 Yellows!!!!!
SW 218.2 10-14-13
1 mo 193.4
2 mo 178.8
3 mo 162.8
4 mo 151.4
5 mo 146.2

Sweetness
Location: Fall and winters in Cuernavaca, Morelos Mexico and summers in St Paul, Minnesota

me too

Post by Sweetness » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:41 am

herbsgirl wrote:Thanks NoSnacker! The book is pretty helpful! How do you feel about getting on the scales? I can see you have lost weight in your signature

I got on the scales this morning and I am down to 195.8 lbs thats 3.4 I even ate a whole hamburger and a largish portion of tomatoes and onions with olive oil last night for supper. I was quite impressed. I think I dont realize how MANY calories I was consuming by grazing and eating all day long. I would eat alot of the day PLUS overeat at meals too before. Now, Im mayabe eating 1/2 or more what I used to eat at meals PLUS not grazing all day. I dont know if eventually I will have to cut my portions to lose all of my extra wieght, but right now its still working at the portion sizes filling up alot of my plate.
Me too. I've been following Reinhard's advice and using large portions at meals, I still lost 3 lbs the 1st week, I will weigh in tomorrow. I decided once a week weighing will be good for me. I'll be happy if the scale stays the same. I was a big grazer/snacker. Good for you, you're doing great!
Patty

Anxiety in a person's heart weighs him down, but an encouraging word brings him joy. (Proverbs 12:25 NET)
I'm a glutton for encouragement.

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:25 am

Hi Sweetness,

I'm in the process of trying to weigh only once a month. I did pretty bad for August..as I have been tracking if I do and when I don't.

The scale although can be rewarding it can also be a painful experience. I have been on No S I believe starting my 4th month soon and did lose 4lbs, I have been maintaining the loss and not gaining...which is awesome for me.

Not sure if you are a chronic weigher like me, but it is not my friend, the scale that is.

I weighed this morning 9/1 and have stayed the same..which again is great..now I'll track in hopes I stay off the scale.

Enjoy the wonderful dessert you have planned.

herbsgirl

Post by herbsgirl » Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:42 pm

Sweetness,

If that works for you, then do it once a month!

So far for me, I am wieghing daily but I may go down considerably later on here. I agree the scales can also be a painful experience when were doing it slowly, My wieght loss slows as I reach more of an ideal weight. Scince I have done this many times and not yet reached my goal 155 lbs, Mine usually slows down into the 160's maybe? But sometimes, you can not lose and not lose and all of a sudden drop 3 or 4 lbs! Its happend to me before.

I want to recomend Wieghtchart.com because it averages out your weight, and shows you your running average. That might help you not become discouraged, if you see the average going down, even though you only wiegh once a month. The basics are free, and thats what I use, in my sig

Today is Day 8 Success Jillian Micheals 30 day shred level 3 with modifications and also working up (just doing so many reps ect

Breakfast cheerios, milk, greek yogurt with sugar

Lunch spanish rice ontop of cooked green peppers and salad

Supper pancake, small amount of syrup and sausages and cantoloupe

I actually left some pancake on my plate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
SW 218.2 10-14-13
1 mo 193.4
2 mo 178.8
3 mo 162.8
4 mo 151.4
5 mo 146.2

Sweetness
Location: Fall and winters in Cuernavaca, Morelos Mexico and summers in St Paul, Minnesota

Post by Sweetness » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:53 am

herbsgirl wrote:Sweetness,

If that works for you, then do it once a month!

So far for me, I am wieghing daily but I may go down considerably later on here. I agree the scales can also be a painful experience when were doing it slowly, My wieght loss slows as I reach more of an ideal weight. Scince I have done this many times and not yet reached my goal 155 lbs, Mine usually slows down into the 160's maybe? But sometimes, you can not lose and not lose and all of a sudden drop 3 or 4 lbs! Its happend to me before.

I want to recomend Wieghtchart.com because it averages out your weight, and shows you your running average. That might help you not become discouraged, if you see the average going down, even though you only wiegh once a month. The basics are free, and thats what I use, in my sig

Today is Day 8 Success
I actually left some pancake on my plate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Herbsgirl, I have trouble leaving anything on my plate, good for you. I'm seeing lots of green on your postings, keep it up!!

I looked at the weightchart, Maybe I'll sign up. I'll let you know, thanks. I think I'll keep with weighing once a week. The scale hasn't been a problem for me, except that I avoid it if I know its gone up. But I think for me its best not to weigh every day.

Patty
Patty

Anxiety in a person's heart weighs him down, but an encouraging word brings him joy. (Proverbs 12:25 NET)

herbsgirl

Post by herbsgirl » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:02 pm

I was pretty hungry last night, but its weird, when I wake up Im hungry, however my appetite is going down down down. Last night at supper, I could just tell, something was different about my usual "wanting to gobble/binge feeling" No S is doing something to my eating hormones! See, the deal is I love sugar. I like cookies, cakes, bars, pies, sugary stuff. Now being off of it during the week I think its balancing out my insulin levels and cravings. Its making me feel better!

Kind of like the person who used to get drunk on 20 beers, and now he gets a buzz from 1 beer, I think thats how it might work with me. Scince Im not used to high sugary stuff during the week, my tolerence is going to go down. A pan of brownies might look gaggy to me instead of tempting. My normal peanut butter/sugar/chocolate chip ect binge might make my stomach churn. I can just see it.

There is something to the No-S, and its scientific. (See the Mastering Leptin book for all the scientific reasons why) Mastering Leptin book tells how to eat

1. Never eat after supper. (check, No-S promotes this)

2. Eat three meals a day 5-6 hours between meals, no snacks (check, The main principle of No-S)

3. Do not eat large meals (check, No-S promotes one plate only)

4.Eat a breakfast containing protien (I usually do this)

5. Reduce the amount of carbs you eat (check, by only eating one plate and no high sugary stuff, No-S definatly takes my carb intake down!)

The Rules above are almost completely covered by No-S principles. These rules are from Byron Richards Mastering Leptin. And they are based upon up to 9,000 clinical studies. There you go, No-S is very scientific, even if No-S came from just plain commen sense, look how good commen sense can be! Yay! I was going to follow the Leptin diet, but then I found out the details about No-S and I ultimatly decided to go with No-S because it is easier to follow with the S days!

By not eating all day long, and controlling Leptin, your cravings go down and it makes it easier to actually stick to the plan in the first place! Yay for No-S!!!!

My husband is taking pictures of me with my underclothes on so I can see the progress I am making. I can see the fat coming off in the pictures! It also makes me realize how large I was when I started/was fatter.
SW 218.2 10-14-13
1 mo 193.4
2 mo 178.8
3 mo 162.8
4 mo 151.4
5 mo 146.2

determined

Post by determined » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:24 pm

Hi Herbsgirl,

Isn't this an amazing plan? I'm so glad you found this...it's been wonderful for me.

I hope you don't mind my advice added to the pile. My two cents is "Don't Give Up". I've struggled with food & dieting obsession all my life. I know it started by the time I was five because when a dr. told me I should lose 5 lbs I started being obsessed with weight. I'm now 51 & binging & dieting has affected me for every day of it. I found NoS several years ago & did really well on it for a few months. Then I gave up....tried to start again & gave up....again & again. In between I'd go back to counting points & carbs - obviously nothing worked. I've been back at this plan for about 10 weeks & even though I've had difficult days, I feel as if I'm finally in this for the long haul. My biggest mistake in this journey was giving up on the healthiest way of eating around. I know people are very successful on other plans, but for someone who not only wants to break poor dieting habits, but eating obsessions, this can't be beaten. It's not easy....it's not fast...but it does work. So....all that said, do everything you can to not give up. If you have a bad day - mark it as red & move on....if you want to give up - don't do it! Read the book again, come back to the forum for some encouragement, take a walk, get out of the house....whatever you need to do to keep going, but don't give up. That's my two cents....I suppose it ended up to be about a nickel after all those words, but here it is. LOL...

Oh...one more thing. I've struggled with depression on & off for a long time, but finally realized that a lot of it was during the winters (Upstate NY is VERY cloudy). My dr. found that my Vitamin D level was pretty non-existent & I most likely had Seasonal Affective Disorder. (I also have PCOS). I've taken a megadose of Vitamin D & a mild antidepressant for a few months & feel like a new person. If I'd known how much of my depression was a result of chemical imbalances, I would have done something about it years ago. Anyway....it might be worth having your dr. check your vitamin D levels. I'll stop now!

It's nice to have you here....come back often 'cause we're all in this together & we can ALL win this battle!!!

janie
"Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day."
Winnie the Pooh

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:29 pm

Wow, this is interesting..thanks for sharing...

I feel the same way, my life is changing for the good...

Here's to a great weekend!!

milliem

Post by milliem » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:44 pm

Interesting reading thanks herbsgirl :) Sounds like you're really getting into the swing of NoS, well done! I could still eat a pan of brownies though.... :wink:

herbsgirl

Post by herbsgirl » Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:58 pm

Determined- Thanks sooo much for the encouragement. I need it! And I am sure I will need it in the future! I have checked my Vit D levels ,and I am a Vit D fan too, except that it is soo expensive for me to check my levels, I havent checked them in just over a year. Its about 55 dollars for me to check it through http://www.bloodtestathome.com/vitamin_D_test.html. I should just do it! I am taking 2,000 IU daily of D3 now with 90 mcg of K2 so the Calcium and D goes to the right places! I have taken 6,000 IU daily before in the past. It actually helps my PCOS too, and Vitamin D helps you lose weight and keep it off.
I also struggle with depression. Also OCD, Anxiety too. I have found PlusEPA to help with it generally. It replaces Prozac type medications. It is fish oil that has been clinicly tested against Prozac! My sister and I both take this now!

http://www.iherb.com/Minami-Nutrition-P ... /9225?at=0

I thought it was too expensive for me, so I went off and tried a cheaper version. Bad idea. Back on PlusEPA! My husband says we will try to buy it and budget it no matter what( because it helps me)

NoSnacker- you have a good weekend too!

Milliem- thanks for commenting. I used to could eat a pan of brownies on regular days before No S, at least a good portion of them anyway!

Confession time, I am really having a harder time today. I did go ahead and put 2-3 Cataplex B in my mouth before lunch, which really is not breaking the rules because it is a supplement (tablets) and I wasnt feeling well so I thought to try it. I think I do feel a little better after taking it. It strengthens my heart, and gives me B vitamins.

Last night I had a fear creep up, you know, that familiar old fear, am I going to be able to keep this up? Because looking at my past history my subconscience mind wants to doubt. One day at a time, one day at a time, right? This is going to take a while to undo and correct the bad habits, of gaining and losing over the last 5 years!

I mentioned in another post on this board about the power of choice
There is another thing to consider too...out of the books by Gillian Riley. She says To ask ourselves, how are we responding to Temptation? This has helped me in the past, to allow myself to feel those negative and doubting thoughts, they pass through me,I accept them, and they go away! It does work, and it actually changes brain cells, according to research to be able to accept any temptation and allow yourself to feel it without giving into it. This is also supported at least in part by the research of Jeffrey Shwartz a renowned brain researcher and writer. The more we accept the temptations, ect, the more they go away. That is how I was able to overcome/work with my Binge Eating Disorder and lose wieght earlier.

I just need to keep going with it and not give up...see, My mother in law died (almost) and they had to shock her back 4 times. She is a living miracle and that is when my wieght loss efforts maybe started going the other way this spring! But I cant let those things keep me from keeping on. With God's help I can overcome being obssesed with food and eating.

One thing I have noticed that is nice about No S is that I dont have to worry about being hungry. Almost every diet/eating plan I have tried in the past, I usually base it on "eat when you're hungry" Well, it is so nice to know Im going to eat 3 x a day, and I dont really have to argue with myself constantly and wonder whether Im hungry, ect! It seems to simplify things a bit! The funny thing is I am usually nice and hungry when meal time comes around with No S!

!

Day 9 SUCCESS

Breakfast-Tomato sandwich, 2 eggs, canteloupe, Left some on plate

Lunch cherry tomatoes, part of apple, tuna melt sandwich, spinach dip

Supper
SW 218.2 10-14-13
1 mo 193.4
2 mo 178.8
3 mo 162.8
4 mo 151.4
5 mo 146.2

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:03 am

herbsgirl wrote:Last night I had a fear creep up, you know, that familiar old fear, am I going to be able to keep this up? Because looking at my past history my subconscience mind wants to doubt. One day at a time, one day at a time, right? This is going to take a while to undo and correct the bad habits, of gaining and losing over the last 5 years!

One thing I have noticed that is nice about No S is that I dont have to worry about being hungry. Almost every diet/eating plan I have tried in the past, I usually base it on "eat when you're hungry" Well, it is so nice to know Im going to eat 3 x a day, and I dont really have to argue with myself constantly and wonder whether Im hungry, ect! It seems to simplify things a bit! The funny thing is I am usually nice and hungry when meal time comes around with No S!
We all have those feelings of am I going to make it this time..I had the same thoughts in the beginning especially when I had a red day, but ya know what these thoughts pass as well. Really there is no other plan like this..I hate to call it a diet as it truly isn't. Truly not like other diets.

I'm rally hungry either on No S..what I love is before my next meal time the hungry signals strike and it so makes the food tastes better, don't you agree..

And they say "Hunger makes the best seasoning".

have a great weekend..i have 2 parties to go to and of course I'm working on not binging on the weekends..like you said one day at at time...for me i'll add one s day at a time.
deb

herbsgirl

Post by herbsgirl » Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:16 pm

Thanks NoSnacker, you have a great S day weekend too!

I agree this is a lifesyle eating plan like no other!

Today is day 9 S day It really is almost day 8 because I started on a Thursday nite, if I call that day one, its day 9, but oh well.

Today for breakfast
Spinach dip, had 3 helpings, applesauce peanut butter

Lunch
carousol salad had several helpings, chicken, and 2 other salads tic tacs

Snack
drive-in Sundae with caramel topping and resse cups.
Last edited by herbsgirl on Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SW 218.2 10-14-13
1 mo 193.4
2 mo 178.8
3 mo 162.8
4 mo 151.4
5 mo 146.2

determined

Post by determined » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:27 pm

I agree with you on the hunger issue. It's as if we've been programmed to believe that hunger is a bad thing...something to be avoided at all costs. True hunger is a great thing! It tells me that I've used up the fuel from my last meal & my body is ready for more. If I never get hungry, how do I lose any weight? I'm trying to learn to be happy about being hungry....food tastes better & I'm breaking this horrible hold food & eating has had on my life. Hunger...it's a great concept! LOL....

You're doing great!!!

janie
Winnie the Pooh

herbsgirl

Post by herbsgirl » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:39 pm

determined wrote:I agree with you on the hunger issue. It's as if we've been programmed to believe that hunger is a bad thing...something to be avoided at all costs. True hunger is a great thing! It tells me that I've used up the fuel from my last meal & my body is ready for more. If I never get hungry, how do I lose any weight? I'm trying to learn to be happy about being hungry....food tastes better & I'm breaking this horrible hold food & eating has had on my life. Hunger...it's a great concept! LOL....

You're doing great!!!

janie
Thanks Janie! I picked up something from a book a few years ago that says "Hunger is never an emergency" =) Beck Diet Solution book.
SW 218.2 10-14-13
1 mo 193.4
2 mo 178.8
3 mo 162.8
4 mo 151.4
5 mo 146.2

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:06 am

Hi there, I really like your new ticker to the signature line...I might do the same if I can figure it out.

Yesterday was not good at the b-day party..I ate breakfast, but they didn't serve dinner until 4:00 so we all were eating chips/pretzels...the the food...of course I was not hungry by then. I never have control at parties...so it was great that it feel on an S day..:)

I read the Beck Book as well...great book on how to talk yourself out of eating...I did the whole thing cards, etc. I guess that would be great to apply with No S. I applied it while counting calories on Spark...mmm I might re read it.

Have a great Sunday!

determined

Post by determined » Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:50 pm

"Hunger is never an emergency." LOVE that quote!!!

Janie
Winnie the Pooh

herbsgirl

Post by herbsgirl » Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:05 pm

NoSnacker hang in there with the S day remember that there is no such thing as a failed S day according to the book?! Your turtle is a good reminder that slow and steady wins the race!

Well, I got on the scales this morning, of course scince I ate more yesterday, my wieght went up some. I dont know if I Could say I had a binge yesterday...I definatly snacked alot, had second, third and fourth helpings and overate, but I didnt really have a huge binge. I did eat the rest of the spinach dip, maybe that was a mini binge?

TOday is another S day
SW 218.2 10-14-13
1 mo 193.4
2 mo 178.8
3 mo 162.8
4 mo 151.4
5 mo 146.2

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:12 pm

Hi...if you go into your profile and bring up the last URL, it seems to take all the other jiberish away from the tracker.

It was really easy to do..and yes I picked the turtle just for that reason..there is not race here..just building some good habits that feel natural.

If you have a few extra foods and then weight yourself the next morning it will make the scale go up. I never weigh myself after I have s days gone wild..I know the scale could go up 2, 3, 4 pounds..and I know I did not eat 10,500 over to gain that much..

So I challenged myself to stay off my scale until 10/1 now.

I actually have a habitcal just for that reason.

Have a great Sunday!

herbsgirl

Post by herbsgirl » Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:10 pm

I am trying to lift wieghts daily till I ovulate and see if I can have a 28 day cycle or so for almost first time in my life. I brought it down to 38 days by exercising, because it was 60 days before that.

TMI warning here...We use Ladycomp for birth control (4 kids)
see this http://1866uselady.com/show.php/index , so having regular cycles is important for that aspect also, and for my health its important to have cycles with PCOS.

This is my 3rd day in a row for Jillian Micheals. I used 8 lb wieghts yesterday in some of the exercises!

I took some of the jibberish off of my url thingy in my sig,

Stay strong with the no scale till10/1!

You have a wonderful Sunday too!
SW 218.2 10-14-13
1 mo 193.4
2 mo 178.8
3 mo 162.8
4 mo 151.4
5 mo 146.2

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:16 am

I never went 60 days, but from 33 to 38, which is not normal..compared to my family and friends..most of the time being 2 weeks past when one should get it always had me thinking I was expecting :).

Amazing how exercise helps so many things...

herbsgirl

Post by herbsgirl » Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:25 pm

I went Waaaay overboard yesterday. I just dont think Perma-snacking all day long on S days is going to work. Somehow, Im going to have to make a goal or something so I dont snack 15 times on S days, Im afraid its going to mess everything up. I know they say dont make any modifications until 21 days is up, but its tempting to do something.

So back on my 3 meal a day plan now!

Unfortunatly, Im going to get a red for exercise yesterday.

NoSnacker- Yeah, most people are more regular, but Im just glad to have a 38 day cycle!
SW 218.2 10-14-13
1 mo 193.4
2 mo 178.8
3 mo 162.8
4 mo 151.4
5 mo 146.2

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:39 pm

herbsgirl wrote:I went Waaaay overboard yesterday. I just dont think Perma-snacking all day long on S days is going to work.
My weekend wasn't that great..but I guess if you ask the old timers they say not to worry about the s days. I have been maintaining with my S days being so crazy.

I think the object is to not put too many restrictions as it will lead to failure.

This weekend coming up I have a baby shower to go to..so with that said I hope to be sane with my eating.

If you can find a post of mine S days gone wild, I was offered some sound advice...I'll see if I can find it and post a note to it so it moves to the top of the discussion page...

:)

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:43 pm

Here are 2 that I started around when I first started...hope they help..

http://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopic ... ht=#103840

http://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopic ... ht=#104787

this one is great..helped me a lot...
http://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=6437

herbsgirl

Post by herbsgirl » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:47 pm

Thanks, No Snacker! I will look up those links, :)

One thing I remember Rienhard said/wrote in his podcast about S days gone wild, that we could go ahead and start with 3 square meals on S days for starters, at least for a place to start, because if I dont even have meals to start a structure for the day, even if I do have snacks, I think it goes worse.

Im trying to have faith or whatever that the S day thing will calm down! I looked at my average wieght for the week, and its went down from last week!! Thats even with my S day wieghts added in there.

Breakfast- applesauce 2 eggs fried with onion and green pepper

Lunch- chips and cheese curlies and Tuna sandwich, Left some chips, and some sandwich on my plate.

Supper- rice chicken stuff and chips

Something else Im doing is
http://www.iherb.com/Jarrow-Formulas-Ja ... s/124?at=0

Right now Im doing 1 at each meal. I read testemonials about this specific brand cutting down cravings, and one person said sweet cravings. Even better than Dr. Ohaira brand which is expensive. I have had soooo many antibiotics in my life in the past, so I feel like I am overcome with candida, and that can cause more wieght gain ect, when you dont have as many probiotics.
Last edited by herbsgirl on Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
SW 218.2 10-14-13
1 mo 193.4
2 mo 178.8
3 mo 162.8
4 mo 151.4
5 mo 146.2

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:05 pm

Ya, I know some people have an easier time of it on S days, and kind of do N days..but for me I'm hoping for that as well in time.

Thanks for the links to the viti's, I saved to my favorites.

So far, green....hope you are to having a great habit building day!

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:50 am

herbsgirl wrote: One thing I remember Rienhard said/wrote in his podcast about S days gone wild, that we could go ahead and start with 3 square meals on S days for starters, at least for a place to start, because if I dont even have meals to start a structure for the day, even if I do have snacks, I think it goes worse.

I agree, I tried to have 3 meals this weekend and it helped a lot. Especially having a good breakfast helped me to start the days right. On Sunday I made sure I had a good breakfast, then I didn't really want the cakes and muffins someone had put out after church, i could wait till I got home to my good lunch. I also had only one each of each S on Saturday and Sunday, and it feels just a little too restrictive to me. Next weekend I plan to make sure I have three good meals just like on No S days, plus allow myself esses, but not to throw out all sanity.
Patty

herbsgirl

Post by herbsgirl » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:20 pm

Sweetness, thanks for commenting with your experience, I will have to try that with my S days sometime, the 3 meals, and then let the snacks, sweets and seconds fall where they fall!

NoSnacker- have a green-streaked week! :)

Me

Breakfast 2 eggs, chips some apple

Lunch corn on the cob, salad, and toasted cheese

Supper pizza slices

exercise around 1 mile or so
Last edited by herbsgirl on Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
SW 218.2 10-14-13
1 mo 193.4
2 mo 178.8
3 mo 162.8
4 mo 151.4
5 mo 146.2

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:14 pm

I know this weekend I'm really going to test the waters and have my 3 squares and snacks/desserts if desired, but not in excess...

Still up in the air on dinner...but I know it has to be something I will enjoy...I'm super hungry today, probably from all the overindulges of the weekend. Got to pay the price somewhere..

Here's to a great green week!

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:55 am

Ahhh thanks so much for the blog on the scale..I really like how he closed "The scale does not lie. It does not always tell the whole story either".

Pizza makes a nice dinner...We had quesadillas (spelling) last night. So nice when you really listen to what your mind wants to eat instead of forcing salad or weighing out your food...I just love the freedom...I love this even more when I see the scale go down.

p.s. it has been 7 days and i have not weighed myself...but truly and inner struggle every morning...

Here's to another green day of sanity.

herbsgirl

Post by herbsgirl » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:22 pm

I like anything in a tortilla almost!

Day 13 Success!!!!!!!

NoSnacker, you are really holding out for not weighing, good job for you,, making your goal so far on not giving in! Im afraid Im going to have to start not wieghing too here after while. I got on the scales and it was close or exactly the same as yesterday.IF im gona do this slow and steady, 1/4 lb- 1/2 lb a week, it might not show on the scales right away!

This is the 3rd day in a row or so that I am doing the Probiotics for breakfast, dinner and supper. Wow, My hunger and desire to eat, has went down, down down down!!! Plus my stomach isnt so bloated all the time?!

I keep getting diet head, gotta get this off or something like that, but I keep telling myself well, this is how you can do it, not getting soooo strict, but by gradually gradually reducing portions and losing, changing for life, not 2 months! I will probably return to 9" plates or smaller sometime so I can continue losing.
SW 218.2 10-14-13
1 mo 193.4
2 mo 178.8
3 mo 162.8
4 mo 151.4
5 mo 146.2

herbsgirl

Post by herbsgirl » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:41 pm

My belly measurement has went from 46" to 42-43" scince starting No S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
SW 218.2 10-14-13
1 mo 193.4
2 mo 178.8
3 mo 162.8
4 mo 151.4
5 mo 146.2

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:36 am

herbsgirl wrote:My belly measurement has went from 46" to 42-43" scince starting No S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wow, makes me wish I could find my tape measure!
Patty

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:58 am

herbsgirl wrote:My belly measurement has went from 46" to 42-43" scince starting No S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Now those are results you can really go by!

herbsgirl

Post by herbsgirl » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:40 pm

Yep! The tape measure is accurate. That being said, Im down 7 lbs as of this morning! And t onite marks 2 weeks of being on No S
SW 218.2 10-14-13
1 mo 193.4
2 mo 178.8
3 mo 162.8
4 mo 151.4
5 mo 146.2

determined

Post by determined » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:20 pm

Congratulations!!! You're doing great!!!

janie
Winnie the Pooh

herbsgirl

Post by herbsgirl » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:35 pm

Thanks Determined!

Day 14 Sucess!

Left some cheesburger mac on my plate! Also did 3 miles of Leslie Sansone today, broke a sweat and really got it done!
SW 218.2 10-14-13
1 mo 193.4
2 mo 178.8
3 mo 162.8
4 mo 151.4
5 mo 146.2

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:16 am

Wow that is great getting your 3 miles in and even leaving food on your plate..now I have to admit I'm in the clean the plate club...that would freak me out..but over time anything is possible.

Living and bathing in the sanity.. :mrgreen:

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:23 pm

Good job...I love WATP with Leslie when weather is too hot..too cold..too rainy or just do not want to go outside.
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.

determined

Post by determined » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:36 pm

Herbsgirl....I'm not very good at leaving food on my plate...but when I do it feels great. Congrats on throwing out that extra food. I think I have a lot of improvement to do in this area!

janie
Winnie the Pooh

herbsgirl

Post by herbsgirl » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:36 pm

NoSnacker- My stomach is shrinking more it seems especially as I get into the week after the S days, so when I feel full, I think, why not leave some on my plate?! I am also serving myself less too sometimes. I am using a large plate still, but there empty areas on the plate sometimes

R Jean- I like Leslie videos, I just have to have different ones or I get burnt out! I joined the walk at home club and they have a bunch of videos on there.
SW 218.2 10-14-13
1 mo 193.4
2 mo 178.8
3 mo 162.8
4 mo 151.4
5 mo 146.2

herbsgirl

Post by herbsgirl » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:01 pm

Day 16 success so far 3 miles walked today. Im ready for the weekend!

My goals this weekend are to have 3 meals and let the seconds, sweets, and snacks fall where they fall.

Girls when I lost around 30 lbs or so this spring, I did it pretty faithful for 2 months, or so, then I started to slip in the 2nd-3rd month, slipped more in the 4th month, and more and more in the 5th month, and gained it mostly all back by the 6th month. So If I can keep going past 2 months with STRONG HABITS, and go into the 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th, 7th month without slipping more and more, then I feel like this time its the real thing!!!!!!!!!!
SW 218.2 10-14-13
1 mo 193.4
2 mo 178.8
3 mo 162.8
4 mo 151.4
5 mo 146.2

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:34 am

herbsgirl wrote:Day 16 success so far 3 miles walked today. Im ready for the weekend!

My goals this weekend are to have 3 meals and let the seconds, sweets, and snacks fall where they fall.

Girls when I lost around 30 lbs or so this spring, I did it pretty faithful for 2 months, or so, then I started to slip in the 2nd-3rd month, slipped more in the 4th month, and more and more in the 5th month, and gained it mostly all back by the 6th month. So If I can keep going past 2 months with STRONG HABITS, and go into the 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th, 7th month without slipping more and more, then I feel like this time its the real thing!!!!!!!!!!
I'm curious, did you lose the weight on No S before?
Patty

herbsgirl

Post by herbsgirl » Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:33 am

No, it was counting bites and eat when your hungry! I have never tried No S before this!!!!!!!!
SW 218.2 10-14-13
1 mo 193.4
2 mo 178.8
3 mo 162.8
4 mo 151.4
5 mo 146.2

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:39 am

herbsgirl wrote:My goals this weekend are to have 3 meals and let the seconds, sweets, and snacks fall where they fall.
First congrats on a successful week to all of us!

And I second the motion for what I pulled from you post....I like the let the seconds, sweets, and snacks fall where they fall....

And the "Am I Hungry" diet book have it..but it was so much work..and I think interfers with one's life especially if you have a family..OH no, wait, I'm not hungry yet....Okay now I'm hungry..where am I on the scale..OH NO, how will I know I'm done...where do I fit on the scale...YIK, that was very stressful..

I'm sure we can all agree...this is the bomb..and this will work..for me it is..not binging during the week is awesome..and not struggling terribly because I forgo the snacks...

sorry went on too long..

have a blessed weekend!
Last edited by NoSnacker on Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

herbsgirl

Post by herbsgirl » Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:50 pm

NoSnacker, Have a wonderful S day weekend!

I made cant leave alone bars so Im having them, they are sooo sweet, Ugh!!
I think they taste sweeter and they feel like a lead ball of sweet yuck in my stomach! Lesson learned: eat one cookie or 1/2 and then wait 15 minutes to see if I want more. Hopefully lesson learned or whatever! I dont feel as good right now.!!

MY Dh told me I cant start using smaller plates for N days until 21 days is up. I am planning on going to 9" plates, and maybe eventually to 6 1/2" plates??? I am doing well on keeping my N days very strict, and I hope to be able to continue that, so I can keep my S days whatever! I was so ready for my S days this weekend!

On weightchart.com it shows the moving average of my wieght, which helps me look at it in perspective. Moving average is going down!!

I joined Leslie Sansones walk at home club, she has walk videos, and monthly challenges!
SW 218.2 10-14-13
1 mo 193.4
2 mo 178.8
3 mo 162.8
4 mo 151.4
5 mo 146.2

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:59 pm

Hi, my husband and I went to Corning Glassware last year for a short vacation...I loved one of the plates "9" inch has a long stem wheat leaf down the side very simple and cute. For xmas this year I bought the whole set and was amazed at how big the dinner plates were since I was using their sandwich plate I guess they call it but years and years ago the average plate size was 8 1/2 inches I believe I read in the 9 inch diet book.

I guess if you are feeling too full with the larger plates then the smaller might work for you as well. Not sure about pushing the limit and going to even smaller..last thing you want is to feel deprived as we know where that leads..

When you are ready for the "9" or "8 1/2" inch plate buy yourself one that is special for you...check out amazon or e-bay..just a thought.

so far today i had an apple and 1/2 lemon dessert for breakfast,,told my husband he can have the other half...i can't believe i had enough..kind of like you with your cookie..

we are on the right path for sure...

have a great day...be good to herbsgirl! :)

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:10 pm

herbsgirl wrote: MY Dh told me I cant start using smaller plates for N days until 21 days is up. I am planning on going to 9" plates, and maybe eventually to 6 1/2" plates??? I am doing well on keeping my N days very strict, and I hope to be able to continue that, so I can keep my S days whatever! I was so ready for my S days this weekend!
I think your DH is right, do not deprive yourself at first. Reinhard says the main goal is to establish the no snacking habit. And I don't think 6 1/2 would be good on a regular basis either. Sometimes when you have salad or something with healthy veggies you just need to eat more of it to get full. BTW, you are doing great!
Today is day 21 for me!!
Patty

herbsgirl

Post by herbsgirl » Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:13 am

Sweetness wrote:
I think your DH is right, do not deprive yourself at first. Reinhard says the main goal is to establish the no snacking habit. And I don't think 6 1/2 would be good on a regular basis either. Sometimes when you have salad or something with healthy veggies you just need to eat more of it to get full. BTW, you are doing great!
Today is day 21 for me!!
Woooo Hoooo Sweetness good for you doing this for 21 days! I agree 9" is probably best long term if I put fruits and veggies on it.
Last edited by herbsgirl on Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
SW 218.2 10-14-13
1 mo 193.4
2 mo 178.8
3 mo 162.8
4 mo 151.4
5 mo 146.2

herbsgirl

Post by herbsgirl » Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:20 am

NoSnacker wrote:Hi, my husband and I went to Corning Glassware last year for a short vacation...I loved one of the plates "9" inch has a long stem wheat leaf down the side very simple and cute. For xmas this year I bought the whole set and was amazed at how big the dinner plates were since I was using their sandwich plate I guess they call it but years and years ago the average plate size was 8 1/2 inches I believe I read in the 9 inch diet book.

I guess if you are feeling too full with the larger plates then the smaller might work for you as well. Not sure about pushing the limit and going to even smaller..last thing you want is to feel deprived as we know where that leads..

When you are ready for the "9" or "8 1/2" inch plate buy yourself one that is special for you...check out amazon or e-bay..just a thought.

so far today i had an apple and 1/2 lemon dessert for breakfast,,told my husband he can have the other half...i can't believe i had enough..kind of like you with your cookie..

we are on the right path for sure...

have a great day...be good to herbsgirl! :)
Your doing good NoSnacker! Leaving some left of your dessert really made you feel good huh? Makes me kinda feel good alot of times when I can leave it on my plate.

I will check out Amazon for a new plate. Maybe Walmart too because they have Corelle too.

Yeah, smaller than 8.5 to 9 inches would be pushing the limit on deprivation.

I was talking to my DH today, I just dont want to put restrictions on S days much or whatever. S days is what is making this work. So if my S days are always free, I can buckle down more on my N days. Like eventually if Im not losing maybe try smaller portions or something on my N days. The beauty and freedom of the S days is what I love.

I even exercised today!! 3 miles with Leslie Sansone because I wanted to. It is helping my depression and OCD and I just feel better.
I went to a Chinese Buffet tonite, and I really enjoyed getting 2 plates. I dug into my 1st plateful. Left some on my plate. Then I went back, got another plateful, and it started not tasting so good as the first plateful!! My body was yelling, ugh you've had enough, doesnt taste right. This is the beauty of No S. Even on S days, its starting to turn the hunger/want to eat Monster OFF, the signals are stronger, more like they are in a thin healthy person!
SW 218.2 10-14-13
1 mo 193.4
2 mo 178.8
3 mo 162.8
4 mo 151.4
5 mo 146.2

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:49 am

herbsgirl wrote:
Woooo Hoooo Sweetness good for you doing this for 21 days! I agree 9" is probably best long term if I put fruits and veggies on it.
Thankyou!! Today was a good day, enjoyed my desserts, but had 3 good meals as well. I'm going to stick with big plates for a while, starting to leave some food sometimes and not just offer it to DH, who's always willing to help.
Patty

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:03 am

The best part is doing what fits for you...when you are ready to move to another plate then that is when you do it :).

We are all different in our needs and desires, but overall we are all out for one thing sanity from the diet mentality and a healthy weight even if it takes some time to get there...a definite learning process...

You are doing wonderful and finding great insight..

p.s., I saw Oolala's challenge and won't be joining in on the 5% weight loss, first that would mean 8lbs for me by Christmas and that is too much pressure when trying to change my eating. Not sure for someone so new that you want to add any extra stresses,,,what will your focus turn too? Or you might start adding restrictions that can lead to giving up?

Have a blessed Sunday!

herbsgirl

Post by herbsgirl » Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:33 pm

Hi NoSnacker! I agree with the weight loss thing. My personal goal is 1/2 pound a week over the long term, but even 1/4 pound a week would be ok. I am not sure I am ready for a challenge, because I need to focus on days on habit right now.

LIke you said, we have to get out of the diet mentality. I really do need to lose though because I am very high risk for diabetes. (Ive had Gestational diabetes 3 times, have PCOS, and also had pre-diabetes) The doctor told me I will have to get down to a healthy wieght, and exercise to lower my risk, and she thinks maybe I might not get it, or it will make me healthier.

The main thing I need to convince myself of, is that if it takes a while to get there, thats ok! IT definatly is a learning process. It has taken me years to get this way, mentally and physically. So by changing my brain, I can change my body for the long term.

Like today for instance, is my S day, but in asking myself, whether I really WANT to pig out today, not so much. I had a big day of seconds, sweets and snacks yesterday and it really seemed to fulfill my desire or something, I dont feel the need to PIG OUT today maybe? Maybe my S days are changing already! For some reason wieghing everyday also seems to make me not want to pig out so much today. I know for some it probably would work the opposite :D But I guess we all have different needs and stuff.

So this morning, was cereal, and I left some of it!

The good news is that, I looked back on my records from 2004 weight loss, when I was the most successful with losing my weight and keeping some of it off. I had kept track of my measurements and my wieght at that time. So I compared my measurements I took a few days ago to my measurements then. Amazing! My belly is the same size at 192 as I was at 185 or so!!!! You know what that means? My adipose tissue on my belly is re-distributing on other parts of my body, and i am smaller around my waist than I would normally be for this size. That means my Insulin Resistance is improving!!!! yay yay yay!

I know No S helps Insulin Resistance, because it is very close to Leptin Diet, and the Leptin Diet helps Insulin Resistance. I am also taking PlusEPA fish oil and I think thats helping also, and Probiotics to take the bloating down!
SW 218.2 10-14-13
1 mo 193.4
2 mo 178.8
3 mo 162.8
4 mo 151.4
5 mo 146.2

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:32 pm

You probably saw I've said on other threads (I've lost track) that I say "never mind" to my suggestion about having a weight loss goal in common. I support whatever version of No S works for you to commit to.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

herbsgirl

Post by herbsgirl » Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:52 pm

oolala53 wrote:You probably saw I've said on other threads (I've lost track) that I say "never mind" to my suggestion about having a weight loss goal in common. I support whatever version of No S works for you to commit to.
No problem, everythings good! :D :D

Ok, I posted this on Oolala's thread too, but I want to put it here.

My goal till Christmas is

Focusing on keeping N days solid GREEN!!!! and getting a good solid habit under me, of Vanilla No S.

Doing Leslie Sansone monthly walking challenges. The walking part of the challenge.

This Month's challenge for me is 3 miles a day Monday-Friday!!!! Weekends are free.
SW 218.2 10-14-13
1 mo 193.4
2 mo 178.8
3 mo 162.8
4 mo 151.4
5 mo 146.2

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:39 am

Sounds like a great goal!

Mine will basically be making sure my N days stay green and continue on with my exercise 6 days a week.

Have a great week...

No more parties for me this coming weekend....yes!

herbsgirl

Post by herbsgirl » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:12 pm

NoSnacker, your goal is similar to mine!

This morning I got on the scale and I realized i must have overdid it yesterday!

Breakfast- less than 2 eggs some apple

Lunch part of potato with butter, cooked cauliflower, cheese, tomato with salad dressing

Supper huge sandwich with fresh tomato and onion, pasta salad onion and tomato

Exercise 3 miles Leslie sansone! Used a waist belt and did one mile with walk boosters
Last edited by herbsgirl on Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
SW 218.2 10-14-13
1 mo 193.4
2 mo 178.8
3 mo 162.8
4 mo 151.4
5 mo 146.2

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:32 pm

Have a great week! 8)
Patty

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:43 pm

Hi pal....thanks for your encouragement! I'm so excited for you that you are finding No S so workable.

I love it as well..I also love that when it is time to eat the food tastes fantastic....

I'll get my weekends tamed sooner or later...

Day 12 and no scale for me...

Do you weight daily..don't know if I ever asked?

herbsgirl

Post by herbsgirl » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:26 am

Sweetness-Thanks, you too!

NoSnacker- Hello! Wow you are really holding out for that no scale! When is your wiegh date, or do you have one?

I agree the food tastes better when your hungry! I was so hungry I wolfed down my hamburger for supper, and ugh I ate too much, my tummy was sooo full.

Yes Ive been wieghing daily, Im not sure how long I'll be able to keep doing that because the scales are saying some not so good numbers!

Lets go for the GREEN~ :D
SW 218.2 10-14-13
1 mo 193.4
2 mo 178.8
3 mo 162.8
4 mo 151.4
5 mo 146.2

Sweetness

scales

Post by Sweetness » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:25 am

herbsgirl wrote:Sweetness-Thanks, you too!

NoSnacker- Hello! Wow you are really holding out for that no scale! When is your wiegh date, or do you have one?

I agree the food tastes better when your hungry! I was so hungry I wolfed down my hamburger for supper, and ugh I ate too much, my tummy was sooo full.

Yes Ive been wieghing daily, Im not sure how long I'll be able to keep doing that because the scales are saying some not so good numbers!

Lets go for the GREEN~ :D
I just read the part in the book about the scales. Just in time for me, cause I went up a pound last week!! I will keep weighing once a week, on Thursday, then again on Friday to confirm the number. But I'm not going to focus on the weight, but on my behavior. If I can get the no S habit going good, then I will focus more on portion control, and the scale will eventually go DOWN! I'm thinking about taking the weight off my signature, except I really like it when it goes down! LOL. :lol:
Patty

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:33 am

ya i read that section in the No S book and totally agree with his concept as well as experience.the scale or number on it has a tendency to make my day..either i'm discouraged or happy...so as long as i'm following plan and staying off i'm good.

i do plan to weigh in on oct 1...with the reality that 1) i'm either the same weight, or 2) lost a bit, or 3) gained a bit. :)

sweetness i took my ticker off and weight as well. i still have the ticker but for private viewing once a month.

being 54 and having the scale rule my life and food binges for so long something has to change and i do think it is this plan.

have a great week herbsgirl and sweetness!

herbsgirl

Post by herbsgirl » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:25 pm

Hi! Today is day 19 Yesterday was SUCCESS!

Breakfast hamburger with onion, cheese, tomato

Lunch bread onion tomato and bread with butter, bread with peanut butter

Supper pizza salad

I am using wieghtchart.com for my wieght and it averages out my weight, for the moving average. So even if it goes up real bad after S days, the moving average is less than when I started No S. For me this seems to work.

If not wieghing works for others, thats fine! Everyones different. So far this is working for me. I understand what you mean about getting the focus off the scale though! Each to their own! :D

I support ya'll in whatever you do with the scale, Not wieghing or wieghing every once in a while! What matters is we are changing our lives for a healthier us, and we are supporting each other!
Last edited by herbsgirl on Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SW 218.2 10-14-13
1 mo 193.4
2 mo 178.8
3 mo 162.8
4 mo 151.4
5 mo 146.2

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:12 pm

Girlfriend we all do what works for us..our pyschy's are all different. You are not impacted by the scale and that is really great.

I still have my ticker and will use it for the times I do weigh.

And you got that right, I'm so relaxed around food during the week now that it amazes me..

Have a super day...and evening!

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:01 pm

It's a beautiful day here in Minn. You have a great one!!
Patty

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:18 pm

I started to say something about the scale, but it got too long. I'm posting it on my check-in thread.

Nice breakfast, herbsgirl. I believe in contrarian menus!
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:50 am

Hi there...hope you had a super Tuesday.

I work from home 2 days a week which is nice because I get to go for a walk in the morning before I start work.

Yesterday was green even though my plates seemed a little fuller than normal :)

herbsgirl

Post by herbsgirl » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:43 pm

oolala- thanks! Have a great day!

NoSnacker- yeah, sometimes my plates are fuller than normal!
do you walk outside? I find it hard to get outside, I spend most of my time indoors. I think it makes me feel better to get out more sometimes! Have a wonderful No S day!

Me- I remember how little I had to eat to actually lose when I went on my normal "eat when your hungry" and count your bite eating plans. Very small amounts of food. My metabolism is messed up, with PCOS, and gaining and losing so many times. I used to eat a nice amount of food before I was married in my teen years, and I worked fairly hard, and I kept my wieght around 130-155 lbs without trying mostly! I had 3 meals a day (snacks sometimes) Its just discouraging to think I am going to eventually get smaller portions, and give up some food or the wieght wont budge. I guess thats something Im going to have to accept. Eat smaller amounts of food to get to my normal weght and stay there.

I have been exercising. I know fish oil helps the metabolism increase, along with exercise and using wieghts. So the more mucsle I build and keep the easier it will to get to a normal size. With Jillian Micheals people say they can be 6-7 lbs more and be smaller than ever, because of how many muscles and calories they burn I guess.

I am very sensitive with my fullness, and its almost been 21 days. I have been eating past full, so maybe I need to be more aware of that, and try to stop sooner... I am ready I think to move to 8 1/2 to 9 " plates for sure. When I was the most successfull, I was nursing a child, and nursing burns 500 calories a day about, plus eating less!

In his book Rienhard says for Results, not to think of them in days and weeks, but in months and years and for the rest of your life. Have I seen results? Yes, I have! My moving average is 194.9 and my starting wieght was 199.2 So that is just over 1 lb a week, the slowest I have ever lost wieght when starting on a new eating plan. That is why it is so different than any other eating thing!

Maintence is more important than Progress, I got to say that over and over to myself.
SW 218.2 10-14-13
1 mo 193.4
2 mo 178.8
3 mo 162.8
4 mo 151.4
5 mo 146.2

herbsgirl

Post by herbsgirl » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:17 pm

Drum Roll............

Today is around day 20 I started the evening of August 26th I think. I lost around 6 INCHES OFF MY LOWER BELLY in my 1st 3 weeks!!! Wow! I think measurements are a very accurate way of gauging progress!

My starting measurements
waist34 1/2
belly button38 1/2"
belly46"

My current measurements around day 20
waist 34"
belly button36 1/2"
belly40"
SW 218.2 10-14-13
1 mo 193.4
2 mo 178.8
3 mo 162.8
4 mo 151.4
5 mo 146.2

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:15 pm

you sound like your doing great!!!! Keep up the good work!
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139
Willingness without action is fantasy

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:15 pm

Wow this is fantastic results....if you read my daily check in post I said the same thing just this morning that I might give the measurements a try. I didn't measure when I started...my waist is 35 and hips 45...big hips run in the family :(

Have a great evening!

herbsgirl

Post by herbsgirl » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:06 pm

Thanks snapdragon! You too!

NoSnacker-our measurments are close! My hips are around 45" with the tape pulled tight. That would be great to try doing measurments. It sure does encourage one to see them go down no matter what the scale says!
SW 218.2 10-14-13
1 mo 193.4
2 mo 178.8
3 mo 162.8
4 mo 151.4
5 mo 146.2

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:58 am

Good for you, I think I need to go buy a tape measure. Can't find my old one. Inches are a more reliable measure than the scale. And 20 days, you are doing great!! :P
Patty

herbsgirl

Post by herbsgirl » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:10 am

I just had my first red day today. Ugh. I felt like my blood sugar or something wierd, so I ate some last tonight. Mark it and move on, right?
SW 218.2 10-14-13
1 mo 193.4
2 mo 178.8
3 mo 162.8
4 mo 151.4
5 mo 146.2

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:59 am

herbsgirl wrote:I just had my first red day today. Ugh. I felt like my blood sugar or something wierd, so I ate some last tonight. Mark it and move on, right?
Yup, the first red day..we all have them. The most important thing I can say to you is forgive yourself and move on. I like to keep track of my red days and find that towards the end of the month they seem to spring up...so I'm guessing hormonal spikes for me..

What triggered the red day? Was it something you ate? Were you hungry because you didn't eat enough during the day? Did you eat something you didn't like? Or was it just because? Mine occur mostly because of an intense deep urge to eat, nothing special going on just hormonal I believe and if I eat something I don't like but it is what it is...or just because.

Just remember 1 red day does not wipe out all your progress so far!!

herbsgirl

Post by herbsgirl » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:05 pm

I didnt eat as much as I normally was, and I worked out very very hard. I walked 3 miles with a bunch of wieghts around my waist.

I had a small headache above my eyes and I didnt feel right, kinda wierd like I do when my blood sugar dips or I need to eat. I forgot before I started eating that I could have a glass of milk without having to mark it as a red day. That would have been enough. oh well, I will remember that for next time that I can drink some milk and its all ok!

Thanks for the encouragment. I almost got to 21 days all green and yellow!

Today is day 21, tonight marks 21 days on No S...
SW 218.2 10-14-13
1 mo 193.4
2 mo 178.8
3 mo 162.8
4 mo 151.4
5 mo 146.2

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:13 pm

herbsgirl wrote:I just had my first red day today. Ugh. I felt like my blood sugar or something wierd, so I ate some last tonight. Mark it and move on, right?
I had my first red day yesterday too! Hmm. Go for the green today, I am!! 8)
Last edited by Sweetness on Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Patty

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:28 pm

Hi Amanda...how is your day going? We are going to dinner with a couple..not sure what I'll have..but I know it won't be seconds or sweets :).

I'm seriously thinking of getting on the scale tomorrow...how strange..it is like quitting smoking...always lurking in your mind somewhere..

I love your new progress charts...cute.

I see you and Sweetness started around the same time...you both really are doing great...

debbie

herbsgirl

Post by herbsgirl » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:09 am

debbie- my day was ok!! :D I had a toast for breakfast, with p. butter and I got so hungry, we didnt eat till around 4 pm or a little before. So I had 1/2 sandwich at Burger King to tide me over till Supper, then had a meal at Culvers, and all of a sudden it hit me that I wasnt supposed to be drinking soda! I had done good all day! I even didnt eat any icecream!

Yeah I know what you mean about always lurking in our minds. Thats how sweets and cravings to binge and overeat was for me, and it is better now with No S even tho its not perfect!

Sweetness-what a coincedence, we had our first red day on the same day and we started around the same time! I did pretty well today except suddenly remembered soda was a no no on an N day!

Starting fresh tomarow and going for the green!
SW 218.2 10-14-13
1 mo 193.4
2 mo 178.8
3 mo 162.8
4 mo 151.4
5 mo 146.2

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:08 am

It is funny how we do things automatically. I went to a picnic and ate one plateful of food and had ice tea..half way thru it I said oh no sweetened..but ya know I did not mark that as red..why because it was an accident and it was a drink..and of course I'm more careful now....the fact that you did not eat ice cream and had one plate makes that a green day to me.

I gave into the scale today, stayed the same which is awesome as I've been feeling fat..had a red day foodwise so shouldn't have weighed anyway...so it is so easy to offer advice, but at times hard to take for oneself.

You have a great Friday...
deb

herbsgirl

Post by herbsgirl » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:54 pm

My dh told me not to mark it as red either. Im just starting with a new chart on my fridge today! My 1st 21 day chart is off, and my 2nd 21 day chart is up!

I got a new Corelle plate at Walmart yesterday, and it was 8.5 inches it said. I also got a new soup bowl, its soup weather now! The normal soup bowls we use are 18 oz, but the one I got is 10 oz! I thought that might help me keep my soup portions lower.

I did not feel like exercising last night, we had been shopping for a while yesterday it was bedtime or near it when we got home. My 7 year old daughter did 1 mile with me!

Ya know, maintaining is still good, my dietican would always say! She told me I could lose wieght and then maintain for a while or whatever!

Have a wonderful Friday!

I am determined I will have better S days this weekend, I am striving for planning out 3 meals like the N days, and then having w hatever sweets and stuff I want otherwise. The mealing habit I think is so important!
SW 218.2 10-14-13
1 mo 193.4
2 mo 178.8
3 mo 162.8
4 mo 151.4
5 mo 146.2

herbsgirl

Post by herbsgirl » Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:36 pm

Major problem today with Diet head! I need to just slow down and tell myself, If I change my behavior, it will change my body!
SW 218.2 10-14-13
1 mo 193.4
2 mo 178.8
3 mo 162.8
4 mo 151.4
5 mo 146.2

herbsgirl

Post by herbsgirl » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:09 pm

Ive bit the bullet! My DH is hiding the scales for my next 21 day thing, for a trial run. I am going to go on Measurments alone for these 3 weeks, then I can wiegh again if I want to.

My measurments arent perfect, but Im going to see if I can stop being scale focused so much during the 3 weeks here!
SW 218.2 10-14-13
1 mo 193.4
2 mo 178.8
3 mo 162.8
4 mo 151.4
5 mo 146.2