Sweetness' "daily" check in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Over43

Post by Over43 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:10 am

I need to ask, having been on the net for years and never figuring out what a DH is? I know it as designated hitter. If that is the case my wife might want a DH. :wink:

I just had to ask.

Congratulations on the success as well.
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

Sweetness
Location: Fall and winters in Cuernavaca, Morelos Mexico and summers in St Paul, Minnesota

Post by Sweetness » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:50 am

Over43 wrote:I need to ask, having been on the net for years and never figuring out what a DH is? I know it as designated hitter. If that is the case my wife might want a DH. :wink:

I just had to ask.

Congratulations on the success as well.
Thanks for the congrats!

If your wife likes you she surely wants a DH, that would be you, her dear husband! Other common abbreviations= DW, DM, MIL, DS, DD which are dear wife, dear mother, mother-in-law, dear son, dear daughter respectively. :lol:
Patty

Anxiety in a person's heart weighs him down, but an encouraging word brings him joy. (Proverbs 12:25 NET)
I'm a glutton for encouragement.

Sweetness
Location: Fall and winters in Cuernavaca, Morelos Mexico and summers in St Paul, Minnesota

Post by Sweetness » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:53 pm

Well, this week was green till last night. I just had a banana. Oh well... And today is valentines day and I must have chocolate to celebrate! My new chair came last night, and after working very hard the past few days, helped host a valentines breakfast this morning... I enjoyed this afternoon reclined in my new chair, reading a book about romantic courtships -12 true stories. Now the sun is getting lower in the sky, I think I will go for my run.

February so far... :mrgreen: 8) :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol: :wink: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :oops: :lol:
Patty

Anxiety in a person's heart weighs him down, but an encouraging word brings him joy. (Proverbs 12:25 NET)

No BS

Post by No BS » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:20 am

OMG, Sweetness, I love the days of the month recorded in emoticons!!

Since eating & emotions are so intrinsically tied, that seems to me a superb system of tracking your days!

Too funny! :lol:
If you are not living life on the edge you are taking up too much room!!

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:41 pm

No BS wrote:OMG, Sweetness, I love the days of the month recorded in emoticons!!

Since eating & emotions are so intrinsically tied, that seems to me a superb system of tracking your days!

Too funny! :lol:
It's just simple, and I really like seeing the green.

I'm glad to be back to a No S day today after overindulging last night. DH and I tried to go to a favorite taco place, but there was a carnival, and together with valentines, the traffic was the worst! We couldn't even get close, so we took another route home and stopped at Burger King. Funny how unhealthy food makes you want more food! I was already full, but had some nuts and granola before Bed!
Patty

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:50 pm

My girlfriends had a little belated Bday party for me last night. We watched a movie and had popcorn. Later we had a little sandwich and cake and ice cream. I cant say no to my own birthday cake! I'm going to color yesterday green with an "S" event. :mrgreen:
Patty

milliem

Post by milliem » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:24 am

Happy belated birthday party :D I love how on NoS, you can adapt the days to suit unexpected (or expected) events without having to feel guilty about it. No 'ohmagawdifailedcosiatemyownbirthdaycake!' ;) Good for you!

No BS

Post by No BS » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:09 pm

Belated Happy Birthday Wishes!!! :D

If your own birthday isn't worth cake, champagne & a Special Day designation, I don't know exactly what is!! :wink:

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:39 am

Milly, NoBS,

Thanks for your kind bday wishes. It IS great to be able to enjoy an event without crashing into a binge. I'm 58 years old, but feel younger than I did a couple years ago.
Yesterday was green.
I was kinda proud of myself today. I had a planning meeting all morning at the restaurant that has its own bakery, and they have some awesome sweet rolls with nuts and spices, not too sweet. I ordered a regular breakfast, and a roll to go. Its in my freezer now so I can eat it on Saturday. Today was green.

I started doing Reinhard's Chain of Self-command on Saturday. I started my Big Picture, and am using the daily "punch cards" so far. 4 days later and I love it, I am getting so much done. Last night past my bedtime, I just had one thing left: to study a lesson I will be teaching tomorrow. I read it while getting ready for bed. So I gave myself a star again!
:lol:

So February so far looks like this: :mrgreen: 8) :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol: :wink: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :oops: :lol: :mrgreen: :P :) :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Last edited by Sweetness on Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Patty

No BS

Post by No BS » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:46 am

That's a pretty awesome looking February!! :D

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:33 pm

No BS, thanks! I would like it to have no reds, maybe I should do another 21 day challenge!
This week was good till last night, a birthday party, I don't know why I thought I needed a cookie, a second hotdog, and cake. I was going to call it an S event, but it was a Fail :oops: I felt sick afterwards.

This week is like this starting with Sunday.

:lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :oops: 8)

I've been keeping up with my runs, at least 3 a week, mixing in a bit of walking to save my knee. It's hard because the rest of my body wants to run longer and faster...

Have a great weekend! 8)
Patty

No BS

Post by No BS » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:45 am

Hi Patty

Seriously good week you have recorded! Love the emoticons as your markers. Don't worry too much about your Friday night faux pas, the rest of your week was really green. And birthdays are special :lol:

I think it is absolutely fabulous that you get out and run 3x in a week - even if your knee gives you heck! That is really a wonderful gift you are giving yourself.

I love reading about others physical activity. Inspires me to do more! I don't run (yet) but like to think that I too will one day be able to. :wink:

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:06 pm

No BS, Thanks for your comments!
Busy week but good. I'm going to color it all green. Thursday night I had an OOOPS but I allow those as a mod. I had some friends over and after dinner I was talking and cleaning up and ate the few bites of chicken and peppers leftover in the pan after our tostadas.

So wrapping up the month of Feb. with emotions looks like this: :mrgreen: 8) :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol: :wink: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :oops: :lol: :mrgreen: :P :) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :oops: 8) :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Only two reds!
Yesterday was success :mrgreen:
I went just a bit further on my run today, ran around an extra block! :arrow:
Patty

No BS

Post by No BS » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:26 pm

Sweetness, congrats on a Fabulous February and here's to a Marvelous March! :D

Have a super weekend!

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:30 pm

No BS wrote:Sweetness, congrats on a Fabulous February and here's to a Marvelous March! :D

Have a super weekend!
Thanks, you too! 8)
Patty

milliem

Post by milliem » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:03 pm

Nice work sweetness, your February looks brilliant! And well done on adding some extra distance on that run, how's the knee holding up?

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:21 pm

milliem wrote:Nice work sweetness, your February looks brilliant! And well done on adding some extra distance on that run, how's the knee holding up?
Milly, thanks Brilliant is a good word! My knee, its doing well since I'm using my hubby's old knee brace bands, have to get my own because these are stretched out, but they still help a lot and I'm able to run for 35 minutes straight with less discomfort afterwards.
Patty

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:24 pm

OK, this is a bit long but gives you a little slice of my life here in Mexico. It's what I wrote in my Journal (and on the FB challenge page) this morning, Day 3 of a 21 day gratitude challenge:

I'm Grateful for a beautiful morning here in Cuernavaca, Morelos, Mexico. A little cooler this morning and not to hot for my run even at 10 AM. Thankful for flowering trees and bushes all over the neighborhood as I go out for my run. Thank you God that I am able to run at age 58. Thanks for the knee support bands to protect my knees. Thanks for the ipod and worship music, that I can sing to You as I run. Thanks for mountains and palm trees and brightly colored houses. For the hundreds of open air shops where I can buy everything within blocks of my house, for street vendors selling lots of fresh things, pineapples from a bicycle cart, fresh strawberries for about 40 cents a pound, handmade tortillas hot off the grill, or the "masa" (tortilla dough) from a little lady going door to door with her wheelbarrow. Thanks for the soccer field with a view of the nearby mountains, and for the running path around it. For the dog chasing a swallow and making me laugh in delight, For families walking with their children and dogs, carrying their babies, ladies arm in arm,and all the LIFE around me. For sculpted ficus trees on the sidewalks and beautiful flowering bugambillas peeking over the walls. For strength to run a little further and faster today, around an extra block! Coming home to my landlady's awesome beautiful garden full of tropical fruit and palm trees, and flowers. To sit down to a homemade fresh tamal Oaxaca style and atole (hot oatmeal drink) that my dear Sweetie went an bought from the lady in our Zocalo (town square). She makes the best tamales ever! yum... And for the green smoothie hubby made for me, and the vitamins that help keep me strong and healthy. I'm so thankful! Forgive me for sometimes taking it all for granted- the blessing of being able to live in Mexico in the winter when my Minnesota family and friends are shivering and shoveling! I am BLESSED!!!
Patty

No BS

Post by No BS » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:33 pm

Sweetness wrote: this morning, Day 3 of a 21 day gratitude challenge
What a brilliant idea! :D

Good post - loved seeing your world through your eyes!

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:40 pm

Thanks No BS,
I really had an OK attitude before, but being proactive about what I'm thankful for has made my attitude even better, bordering on euphoria at times! I really have a lot to be thankful for!

Today I posted:Day 5: Today I'm thankful to be able to run. I never thought I could do this, but thanks to my friend Milly who shared about the Couch to 5K program, I can now run for 35 minutes straight, and I'm losing weight, down about 9 pounds, maybe 30 to go. I feel so much better, stronger, and have more energy!

This weekend was rather mild eating-wise.I had my chocolate, some cookies and popcorn, but otherwise pretty normal. I'm very happy to have some moderate S days now, without trying.

March so far: :mrgreen: 8) :lol:
Patty

No BS

Post by No BS » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:59 am

Congratulations Patty on the running. Good grief you make it sound easy!

Maybe when the snow/ice is off the road I can do a new physical challenge and try running (OMG, I can't believe I thought that, never mind said it!! :oops:)

Gosh, you guys make so much seem possible. :D

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:29 pm

I'm having a hard week, probably hormones. Very low motivation and moodiness. Perhaps I will finally finish my change of life this year at age 58. Also my DH was out of town, he got back last night and I feel better already. The other good news is I'm having a green week. I did include my mod of allowing a little square of my extra dark chocolate with meals a few times this week, as it helps my mood, and most people would say its not sweet. Yesterday I went out for breakfast, and took the freshly baked cookie to go, I'll enjoy it tomorrow.

And I am keeping up with the running, 3 times a week. I looked up avoiding knee injuries, and found something I've been doing wrong, that's running on concrete. All the streets and sidewalks are concrete in my neighborhood and I read that it's 10 times harder than asphalt! :cry: So, this week I am walking to the soccer field and then running around it on the grass and dirt instead of the concrete sidewalk they have all around it. My right knee still hurts a little, but not as much as before. It just makes my total workout time longer.

No BS you should seriously check out a C25k program, it's so easy, and I loved it from the start (as soon as your roads are clear enough, that is!)

March so far: :mrgreen: 8) :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Patty

milliem

Post by milliem » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:26 pm

Sweetness wrote:
Today I posted:Day 5: Today I'm thankful to be able to run. I never thought I could do this, but thanks to my friend Milly who shared about the Couch to 5K program, I can now run for 35 minutes straight, and I'm losing weight, down about 9 pounds, maybe 30 to go. I feel so much better, stronger, and have more energy!

March so far: :mrgreen: 8) :lol:
Thanks Patty! I am honoured that I helped you find something you enjoy, and you are doing AWESOME! Your March is doing really well too, it's great that you've found a little mod that keeps you going on the tough days but doesn't mean abandoning the structure or principles :)

No BS

Post by No BS » Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:17 am

Hi Patty:

Personally I find there is very little in my life that a piece of extra dark chocolate can't make better!!! :lol:

Good call on running on dirt rather than concrete!! I suspect your knees will thank you! :D

I am quietly optimistic that I can follow you & millie's lead and (maybe) do a C25K Challenge when the snow is gone. One of the biggest surprises with No "S" is how it empowers you to do so much. I expect it is the little daily triumphs that gives a person courage & confidence. Along with a dedicated cheering section on this BB!! :wink:

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:15 am

No BS wrote:Hi Patty:

Personally I find there is very little in my life that a piece of extra dark chocolate can't make better!!! :lol:

Good call on running on dirt rather than concrete!! I suspect your knees will thank you! :D

I am quietly optimistic that I can follow you & millie's lead and (maybe) do a C25K Challenge when the snow is gone. One of the biggest surprises with No "S" is how it empowers you to do so much. I expect it is the little daily triumphs that gives a person courage & confidence. Along with a dedicated cheering section on this BB!! :wink:
You got that right! No S and the forum community are very supportive and empowering. :wink:
Patty

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:18 pm

I finally felt it was time to post a a Testimonial. Here's what I wrote:

About me, I'm a 58 year old woman, five foot six inches, I now weigh about 187 or 185, down from 197... (my scale here in Mexico is unreliable). I live with my hubby and two young adult sons in St. Paul, Minnesota USA in the summers, and hubby and I are snowbirds here in Mexico in the winters. I have been on No S for more than a year now, even if you subtract the two months when I fell off and gained several pounds. Today someone asked me how much weight I have lost! She noticed! I've only lost about 10 or 12 pounds, but that's all happened since October, when I came close to my all time high weight of 200 pounds. I'm happy to report I'm right now wearing some capris I haven't fit into for a couple years.

I love No S! Even though I have 20 to 25 pounds I still could lose, and the weight is coming off s l o w l y, I am heading the right direction, and my relationship with food is much better. Before I started No S I was very discouraged, thinking the only way to lose weight was a strict calorie counting mode, because that's the way I had lost weight before. I had gotten down to almost my ideal weight a few years ago, lost 20 plus pounds, but the weight crept back on a few pounds a year, even though I was conscious of eating healthy and avoiding sweets most of the time. I always felt guilty about eating sweets. Now I enjoy my sweets, just only on the weekends. I ate a lot of snacks before, now I enjoy being hungry for each of my 3 meals a day. I rarely have that sickening overfull guilty feeling that was so common to me before NoS.

One thing I LOVE about NoS is that I know I can easily maintain my weight if I just stick to the simple habit, and the habit is not hard! You can't say that about any other diet that I know of.

The boards, the encouragement of others who have walked this path is so valuable. So many success stories! I feel like I'm not alone on the journey.

Patty

jellybeans01

Post by jellybeans01 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:22 pm

OMGOODNESS are you in W.I.M? It is Jenell. I have been no sing since Sam was born over 4 years ago.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:03 am

Hi Patti
We are so similar in our "stats" and also in our attitude toward No S. I enjoy reading your journey and experiences. Keep it up!
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:09 am

Jenell,

yes its me! I forgot all about that I think I saw a Facebook post of yours before I started no S! Its probably how i found out about it...thank you! I've seen you on the forum a couple times and never made the connection... I love no S!
Patty
Patty

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:00 pm

Wow, it's a few days since I posted here, but have been on the boards. Having a very busy but successful week and month. Getting ready for a retreat, I'm on the board/planning commitee, so it means lots of work for me.

March looks like this so far... :mrgreen: 8) :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :wink: 8) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Today is day 20 of a 21 day challenge for me. It helps to be accountable! Just a few more hours and tomorrow is an S day. :lol:
Patty

No BS

Post by No BS » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:16 am

Hi Patty. My goodness, you are doing really super: your string of emoticons are impressive! Congratulations!

I hope you have a great weekend, Patty. :wink:

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:12 am

Thanks no BS, Jean,

Today was also green, although I did something today I've not done for a while on an N day... I ate too much... Portions a bit large. I did enjoy every bite. It's because I went to a breakfast for women in ministry and it was a very good very full plate, then I was hungry for tortilla soup with chicken, and made it for dinner and supper, with chips, sour cream, cheese and avocados on top, and fruit on the side, yum... But have to remember how filling it is! My tummy hurts...

Note to self... Less will taste just as good. :roll:
Patty

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:50 pm

Oh my that tortilla soup with toppings sounds delicious. It combines all my favorites.
Maintenance is progress.

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:25 am

Well I did make it to 21 days!
Then the weekend was pretty normal food wise, a few treats. A very stressful time for me as I was one of the ones in charge of a retreat for women in ministry. The retreat was Monday and Tuesday and I had tons of stuff to do before and during the retreat. Since I had not taken any NWSdays this month and I knew there would be cookies and candy, I decided I didn't need any more stress during the retreat and I took them both as special days. Good thing because I finally got my monthly after 72 days late (I'm 58 years old) very emotional time! But it was worth it, really helped the women including me.

March looks like this so far: :mrgreen: 8) :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :D :P :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol: :wink: 8) 8)

Today is also a bit of a challenge work wise, but back to no S normal eating. I didn't sleep well last night and then had to get up at 5, then drive an hour then the winding mountain busride an hour and walked uphill 20 min. in Mexico city, taught 3 hours of classes, then back the same way. Always wears me out. Then we are in charge of teaching and running a prayer meeting tonight. Tomorrow I can relax for the first time in weeks. 8)
Patty

No BS

Post by No BS » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:02 am

Congratulations on your 21 days! :mrgreen:

You do a good job, Patty, balancing it all - including the stress of serving others, not just yourself. :D

Thanks to your inspiring example, I managed to start my C25K program this week. I have you and milliem to thank for raising the bar on my physical challenges. :wink:

Enjoy your R&R tomorrow, Patty. You sure have earned it! 8)

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:07 am

No BS wrote:Congratulations on your 21 days! :mrgreen:

You do a good job, Patty, balancing it all - including the stress of serving others, not just yourself. :D

Thanks to your inspiring example, I managed to start my C25K program this week. I have you and milliem to thank for raising the bar on my physical challenges. :wink:

Enjoy your R&R tomorrow, Patty. You sure have earned it! 8)
THANKS, WOW, I never would have ever thought I could ever be an inspiration to anyone concerning physical exercise! I always thought of myself as non-athletic and clumsy. Hope you enjoy the running as much as I do! I really missed it this week! I did get in some walking and stairs, but no time to run since Saturday! Tomorrow I'm really going to enjoy it! Running on the dirt seems to be the key to preventing knee pain. My shoes and socks get really dusty, but its worth it! 8)
Patty

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:31 am

Really enjoyed the run this Morning, and the day off, reading a novel for most of the day with my feet up. My knees don't hurt at all and weighed this morning and I think I might be down 2more pounds. A very good day even though it was a fail, I had some nuts and chocolate tonight. :wink: :oops:
Patty

No BS

Post by No BS » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:31 am

Life is good, especially when your so-called "fails" are still a positive!! :D

Congrats on the 2 lb loss & a glorious day of leisure. :mrgreen:

I just finished my first week of C25K training and am thrilled & relieved! Thrilled because I took on the challenge and relieved because it appears I might actually be able to do it!! :lol:

I am really looking forward to next week. Talk about not getting bored on my elliptical! :D

Enjoy your weekend, Patty! :wink:

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:16 am

No BS wrote:Life is good, especially when your so-called "fails" are still a positive!! :D

Congrats on the 2 lb loss & a glorious day of leisure. :mrgreen:

I just finished my first week of C25K training and am thrilled & relieved! Thrilled because I took on the challenge and relieved because it appears I might actually be able to do it!! :lol:

I am really looking forward to next week. Talk about not getting bored on my elliptical! :D

Enjoy your weekend, Patty! :wink:
Thanks No BS! and the C25K, if I can do it, you can too!!
Have a great weekend too!!
Patty

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:27 pm

Just posted this to my testimonial:

As soon as I wrote my testimonial, I thought I should have explained what happened when I relapsed. I'm writing this for my own benefit, because I may soon be in a similar situation as last year, also it may help someone else to avoid the same mistakes I made.

When I started No S, i was quite motivated to lose weight, because i was alarmed at how much weight had crept back on. The first few weeks i was in Minnesota, we are busy there but it was the honeymoon period with No S and I lost about 3 pounds. I usually have a more laid back style of life here in Mexico. When we came to Mexico, it was nice to have the boards for encouragement, because when we first get here in the fall we usually are NOT busy, and I feel a little lonesome. I did well, settling in to a routine here with No S, but didn't get into much exercise, I kept loading my plates pretty full and didn't lose and maintain any more weight loss the six months we were here. When we got back to the states in April, I was So busy right away.... Working 30 plus hours a week, plus 15 to 20 hours of ministry work, along with conferences, helping my folks and trying to get together with friends. I actually maintained for a couple months even without posting here on the board. I took 5 trips in July and August, and didn't gain weight, but without accountability, September and October I just lost the habit... And gained 7 pounds!

So here is my plan for success this summer. I will keep up with my "daily" thread. I don't have to post daily but must account for EVERY DAY. Accountability is the most important key to success on the no S habit for me. I decided I won't work for pay more than 20 hours a week, the ministry and family must take priority. I'm also going to make a rule that if I have more than 4 reds in a month, I have to do a 21 day challenge to get back on track. Those have always helped me, and I can do them. I've done 3 this winter. I'll also keep up with the running at least 3 times a week. So far this habit has been self motivating for me, i missed only once since I started, and thats this week, the hotel had no place to run, and it was too dangerous to leave the grounds. I just love the way I feel when I run and afterwards, and it's key to losing weight. By the way, I think I found the secret to not hurting my knees. I had been running on concrete, because all the streets are concrete here in my neighborhood. Now I walk to the soccer field, and run on the grass and dirt around it for 30 to 35 minutes then walk back... 55 minutes total workout. I also wear knee supports. My knees are fine, and I think I lost a couple more pounds in the past 2 weeks! Yes!!! So that's the plan, it helped me to think this out, hope it helps someone else. 8)
Patty

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:30 am

I agree that it is a good idea to account for every day on your posts. Daily posting does not always happen, but accounting for each day when you do post is different. It does bring accountability. That is more or less what I have been doing although I am not very detailed.

Keep up the good work!
Maintenance is progress.

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:02 am

r.jean wrote:I agree that it is a good idea to account for every day on your posts. Daily posting does not always happen, but accounting for each day when you do post is different. It does bring accountability. That is more or less what I have been doing although I am not very detailed.

Keep up the good work!
Thanks Jean,

So here I am accounting for every day. Last week I had the two NWS days, a green, a red and a green, followed by a moderate weekend with a few treats. Yesterday and today were SUCCESS, today i would have liked a snack, because my breakfast wasn't as substantial,but I resisted, yay for me. So my month is lookin pretty good. :mrgreen: 8) :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8) :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8) :lol: :roll: :wink: :mrgreen: :oops: :mrgreen: :) :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Patty

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:21 pm

Having a difficult, very emotional morning. I was on the phone all morning with family. My Dad is in the hospital with congestive heart failure, getting better and getting out today, but he has anger issues that come from his fears. So today when he found out he wasn't going home, but to a transitional care, he blew up at my mom and sister, saying they're trying to get rid of him. My mom is still recovering from heart trouble, and my sister has trouble with her blood pressure and has had a stroke in the past. So here I am, 2400 miles away in Mexico, wishing I were there to help. We're due to go back April 23, have our tickets.... should I go back this week? My sister says its OK, she's between jobs and can stay with Mom, but I know it would help if I came home. My other brother and sister are also helping, but I don't know what I should do. I'm needed here too, if I go back sooner, my hubby will stay here and finish the work we have going.

The good news is I'm not turning to food for comfort even though I would like to. I did have chips and yogurt for a late breakfast. I missed my run this morning, I will have to make it for tomorrow.
Patty

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:34 pm

OO, tough one. I know I have often wished that I went to help my sister with my mom's care before my mom died, but my sister had only her husband to help. You do have more people involved.

However, she took it a lot harder than I think I would have. My sister kept thinking that my mom shouldn't have been going through what she was, but I, while I wasn't joyful about it, accepted that my mom had had a brain event that affected her and that was just what was. She wasn't actually in great pain, so that was good. But I might have been a help to my sister more than my mom. Hind sight is 20/20. It doesn't haunt me, and my sister and I are fine, but it's a small regret I do have.

Peace to you on this soon.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:38 pm

Yes, actually my concern is as much for my older sister as for anyone. She had to go in to the hospital once when my mom was hospitalized, because she didn't take care of herself. My younger sister is a supervisor at her work, so when she's scheduled, she can't really take off, and then at home, her hubby is a quadripeligic so she has to be home at night. My brother is often out of town for his work. He was able to take Dad over to the home today, but if I hadn't been proactive and persistent today and called him, my older sister would have taken him, and I think it would have been too much for her. She admitted her BP was high yesterday. I told her to stay home with mom and rest.
Patty

No BS

Post by No BS » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:25 pm

Oh Patty, darling, I'm sending you my dearest guardian angel to help you & your family through this difficult time. Geographic distance & family troubles are a tough one to reconcile. Good luck, Patty. My very best wishes to you & yours.

gk

Post by gk » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:29 am

Patty-

I'm so sorry to hear of all that your family is going through right now. My thoughts are with you.

I also have to give you a big pat on the back for not turning to food for comfort - VERY hard thing to do - and you're doing it! Big accomplishment! :)
SW (as of 3/25/13): 172 lbs.
CW: 171 lbs.

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:35 am

Patty, I am so sorry to hear this, and sending good thoughts your way. I hope your father gets settled okay - that must be very traumatic for everyone.

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:20 pm

Oolala, No BS, GK, Amy, thanks for your kind thoughts and prayers (and the angel!). Yesterday was a tough day, today will be better.

I was praying about this this morning, trying to listen to God like I do. I want to know if I should change my ticket and go back early... I sense He is saying to wait... And that I can trust Him. I read some scriptures that helped me and I feel much more at peace today.

I am a little amazed that my No S habit helped me yesterday. I was so agitated and anxious, crying a lot, but I knew that comfort food was not the answer, I was content to prepare and eat my three meals. In the past, depression has caused me to turn to food, and the weight gain that followed only added to my problems. Yesterday put my habit to the test and I came out green! :mrgreen:

I also had another tool to help me feel better. I went for my run about 5 PM. I usually only run in the mornings, but I discovered that. The heat here is no worse at 5 PM than it is in the morning, the sun is lowering in the sky and is not as strong. I felt much better emotionally after my run and a shower, and was able to help by praying for people at our church prayer meeting in the evening. 8)
Patty

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:49 pm

Eventually, eating because of stress will become a memory only. I'm not quite there yet, but close.

Glad you are finding some equanimity.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

sleepygirlzzzz
Location: Originally from Chicago; living in the UK for past 11yrs

Post by sleepygirlzzzz » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:37 pm

Really well done on staying on plan even through difficult times. That's a huge accomplishment! And even better that you also went for a run.

Sending you and your family good thoughts and best wishes.

No BS

Post by No BS » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:24 am

Sweetness wrote:Yesterday put my habit to the test and I came out green! :mrgreen:
The beauty of mindlessly reinforcing these food/exercise No"S" habits, day after day, week after week, is that the routine still kicks in & takes over when we are "mindless" with emotion, or grief, or fear, or stress, or many of the other overwhelming emotions that drove us in the past to binging or drowning ourselves in food.

Congratulations on allowing your "good" habits to guide you through this tough, stressful time, Patty! What an achievement, indeed. :mrgreen:

I hope things are settling down with your dad and your family.

Have a good Easter weekend.

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:15 am

Glad to hear your good habits are helping you through this time of stress - that's a good indication that they're very well established for you!

milliem

Post by milliem » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:56 am

So sorry to hear about your dad Patty, my thoughts are with you and your family. You are doing so well to keep up the good eating habits and running where possible - it's so tempting to comfort eat at tough times but it's surprising what a comfort a good burst of exercise and sticking to your plan can be! Hope you have a good Easter weekend :)

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:06 pm

Thanks everyone OoLala, Sleepy, Milly, Amy, and NoBS for the kind thoughts. I love the encouragement I get here on this site! To quote an old friend, "I'm a glutton for encouragement."

My Dad had a great day yesterday. We got him into the same great home he was in after his broken hip last summer. He has some of the same nurses and therapists. My mom and sister said that he was laughing, singing and joking with them and other residents. And he did his therapy, sat down for a few minutes, and said "Lets go again". Such a relief.

I am having a green week. Yesterday was also green. I didn't have as much of an appetite, felt a little sick, only had an orange and apple for dinner. So assuming today will be green and I don't see why not, we have no special party planned... The month of March will finish out like this:
:mrgreen: 8) :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol: :P :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :D :) 8) :lol: :mrgreen: :oops: :mrgreen: 8) :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :wink: :P
I'm quite happy with only one red for the whole month!

Have a very happy Easter weekend everyone.
Patty

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:02 am

My thoughts and prayers are with you.
Maintenance is progress.

No BS

Post by No BS » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:08 am

Good news about your dad, Patty! :D What a relief.

And super No "S" efforts for March! :lol:

Good job - on all fronts. :wink:

gk

Post by gk » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:19 am

Glad to hear your Dad is doing better!

Great job with all the green this month, too! Awesome job! :)

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:25 am

Good news on your dad and the way you finished out the month! :mrgreen:
Happy Easter!

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:06 pm

Amy, Gk, Jean, NoBS, thanks for the encouragement and prayers.

I had a great weekend. Had a crowd over here Saturday afternoon/ evening, American friends. It was pot luck so I didn't have to do much to prepare. They all stayed for board games and a movie projected on the wall. It really helped me not to be lonesome for family. I still had a smaller appetite Saturday so I didn't overeat. Sunday we went out to Sanborns for dinner, its a nice place with a garden patio with huge palm, bamboo, and banyan trees. How many of you had steak tacos and guacamole for Easter dinner? I did. Ate all three, guess my appetite is back. Didn't really want dessert though, really just had my dark chocolate squares with my morning coffee. We went to a movie afterwards to get out of the heat, in the 90s lately, and I had popcorn for supper.

My Dad is doing well, although he still has his "grumpy old man" moods. He could have come home yesterday, but they have to stabilize his blood thinner before they can let him out. They're planning to send him home Wednesday.

It's April already! It's starting green for me. Yesterday was just 3 regular meals, all yummy. I decided to walk instead of run because my knee was hurting just a bit since my run on Friday. Stopped by the favorite taco stand on the way home and had two little 4 inch tacos for breakfast. Yum, don't think I ever stopped at two before. :mrgreen:
Patty

No BS

Post by No BS » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:29 am

Welcome back, Patty, nice to hear all your good news!

Easter sounds like fun. Especially the 90's part!! :lol:

gk

Post by gk » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:58 am

Sweetness wrote:It's April already! It's starting green for me. Yesterday was just 3 regular meals, all yummy. I decided to walk instead of run because my knee was hurting just a bit since my run on Friday. Stopped by the favorite taco stand on the way home and had two little 4 inch tacos for breakfast. Yum, don't think I ever stopped at two before. :mrgreen:
Good job with the green! And good job modifying your exercise instead of stopping it altogether when you're not feeling 100%. I'm finding if I do at least something, it helps with keeping the habit. Hope your knee is feeling better soon!

And, good job stopping at two tacos - yay! :)

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:18 am

gk, NoBS, Thanks!

Well I had a FAIL today... :oops: Pre-dinner munching during prep... And then after supper I had a little chocolate, since I already failed. But I did keep it to that.

I went for my run this evening. I left the house at about 7PM. It was nice and cool relatively speaking, because the sun was down by the time I got to the soccer field. There were about 10 others walking or running around the field, and I feel safe with numbers, but I guess I have to get out there earlier. I've been told its a dangerous area at night. On my way back i watched 5 trucks with police go by with their lights flashing and stopped on the road right near the field. There had to be about 30 officers standing around there. Hmm. Wonder what happened. On the plus side, I'm OK, and my knee feels pretty good.
:shock: :? :wink:
Patty

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:46 am

Today was GREEN! :mrgreen: :oops: :mrgreen:
Patty

SpiritSong

Post by SpiritSong » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:20 pm

My goodness, Sweetness! It sounds like an area better run in daylight. :shock: Keep safe!

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:46 pm

Thanks Spiritsong,
I'm going to stick to daytime running... I don't know what was happening there, but there was a drug gang murder about a mile from here the other direction a couple nights ago, around midnight. A young man only 24. A gang vengeance thing. We'll stay in at night.
:(
Patty

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:39 am

yesterday and today were green, so the week is shaping up! :mrgreen: :oops: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Patty

No BS

Post by No BS » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:45 am

Good job on the greens, Patty!! :mrgreen:

Be careful to run in daylight, Patty, even if it is hotter than the evenings. Or make darn sure you can run real fast!!! :D

Have a great weekend!

gk

Post by gk » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:34 pm

Sweetness wrote:yesterday and today were green, so the week is shaping up! :mrgreen: :oops: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
WOO HOO! Keep up the great work!!! :D

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:23 am

No BS, gk, Thanks for the encouragement.
I had a good weekend but too many sweets, because I ran out of my dark chocolate. I usually will have an ice cream sometime in the weekend plus a few squares of dark chocolate over the course of the weekend. Both Saturday and Sunday I bought packages of 8 little chocolate chip cookies at the corner store. Saturday I ate the whole package and last night I shared 2 with my hubby. I really would have preferred a little dark chocolate. Today was Green, and I did go and get some dark chocolate at Wallmart, so I'm ready for the last two weeks here in Mexico.

We had a breakfast meeting today, two homemade Oaxaca style tamales, one was mole and the other had jalepenos and cheese, yum. Too much food but it was one serving. Yum...

I went out for my run about 6 PM, we just changed to daylight savings time, so it doesn't get dark now till after 8. Oohh, it was hot. I don't know must have gone up to the upper 90s today. My face was so red when I got home. I couldn't wait to get into the shower. Still glad I got to run. I feel good now, sitting in front of my fan.
So the month of April so far looks like this:
8) :mrgreen: :oops: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :| :wink: :mrgreen:
Patty

No BS

Post by No BS » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:39 am

Totally agree with you on how gratifying one square of that perfect dark chocolate is, Patty. Chocolate chip cookies (or Snickers!) just aren't the same!! :wink:

I'm out right now too & have to order more via mail (our closest Wal-Mart is a two day, one night, 4 airport, and $3500 plane ticket away :lol:)

I suspect I would perish if I went running in 90 degree heat! Good grief, you must have done some serious conditioning this winter! WOWSERS!! :D

MJ7910

Post by MJ7910 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:57 am

dark chocolate sounds like a good sweet tooth cure. i sometimes substitute other stuff in and that does make it hard to feel like those things are even satisfying. sometimes i get mad at myself and just wish i would have gone for "what i really want" and then i wonder would i have those excesses. i think you have done great though, esp running in hot weather!
Current BMI: 22.9. Height: 5'4.5"
Highest BMI: 25.5 in August 2011.
Lowest adult BMI: 20.8 in February 2012.

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:27 am

No BS wrote:Totally agree with you on how gratifying one square of that perfect dark chocolate is, Patty. Chocolate chip cookies (or Snickers!) just aren't the same!! :wink:

I'm out right now too & have to order more via mail (our closest Wal-Mart is a two day, one night, 4 airport, and $3500 plane ticket away :lol:)

I suspect I would perish if I went running in 90 degree heat! Good grief, you must have done some serious conditioning this winter! WOWSERS!! :D
Ha ha, I'm sure it may have gone down to about 88 by the time I got out there. One gets accustomed to heat, just as you do to cold... and it is a dry heat, which makes a huge difference. I don't think I could run in Minnesota at 88 degrees. The lakes make for high humidity all summer. Here it almost never rains during the 6 months we are here. I miss the rainy season here, which happens in summer, haven't been here in summer since 2005. We get plenty of rain in Minnesota though!

We are really spoiled here in Mexico now, have almost all the city conveniences we have in the states (it wasn't so when we first moved here in 2000). Our Wallmart is about a 20 minute walk from here. Guess you haven't seen one in a while, huh?? It would be fun to trade places with you for a week or two. Sounds like its beautiful there in its own way, I like solitude and quiet, and I bet you can really see the stars at night! We're on a busy street in the city, the buses and trucks go by often and you can't hear yourself talk sometimes, the house fills with dust rapidly, but I still love it here.
Patty

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:36 am

MJ7910 wrote:dark chocolate sounds like a good sweet tooth cure. i sometimes substitute other stuff in and that does make it hard to feel like those things are even satisfying. sometimes i get mad at myself and just wish i would have gone for "what i really want" and then i wonder would i have those excesses. i think you have done great though, esp running in hot weather!
The dark chocolate has saved me many calories I suspect, because it usually takes just a little to satisfy my craving and its so good for you! I usually also get one soft serve ice cream cone at McDonalds each weekend, and then I'm happy. If you can get what you really want it helps... a couple times I've settled for an ice cream bar or cup, or frozen yogurt, and then just end up still kinda craving something, and eat more.
Patty

KL

Post by KL » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:38 pm

Hi Patty - I've been reading your posts and you are doing so well with all your :mrgreen: and running :!: In spite of family emotions, etc. You should be so proud of yourself. :) :)
"Everything is permissible for me - but not everything is beneficial...I will not be mastered by anything." 1 Cor 6:12

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:57 pm

KL wrote:Hi Patty - I've been reading your posts and you are doing so well with all your :mrgreen: and running :!: In spite of family emotions, etc. You should be so proud of yourself. :) :)
Thank you KL!

Tuesday was green.... Today and yesterday were S days because I'm sick, something I ate maybe. Feeling somewhat better today but still having to make frequent trips to a certain room. I did go for my run today, just a bit slower, but I felt so much better afterwards. I haven't eaten much today or yesterday but have allowed sweets and snacks, and the scale this morning showed I have lost 4 more pounds.... Hope that stays off. My scale here is unreliable but it hasn't registered this particular number for me in at least 2 years! :mrgreen: :) 8)
Patty

No BS

Post by No BS » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:15 am

Patty, you are a machine, I'm tellin' ya, a MACHINE!! :wink:

Having "stomach troubles", running to the can, AND even then still running!!! :lol:

You are seriously awesome! I hope you are feeling 100% tomorrow. :D

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:53 am

No BS wrote:Patty, you are a machine, I'm tellin' ya, a MACHINE!! :wink:

Having "stomach troubles", running to the can, AND even then still running!!! :lol:

You are seriously awesome! I hope you are feeling 100% tomorrow. :D
Ha ha, I did run over in the shopping center parking lot so I could be close if needed, I was so glad I didn't need to run in! I debated about not running, but my motivation was that I knew it would help me feel better! And it did! By the way, I think my knee problems are mostly over. No pain during or after my run today! Thank you No BS, you are always encouraging, and like I said, I am a glutton for encouragement. :lol:
Patty

gk

Post by gk » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:32 am

Sweetness wrote:.....and the scale this morning showed I have lost 4 more pounds.... Hope that stays off. My scale here is unreliable but it hasn't registered this particular number for me in at least 2 years! :mrgreen: :) 8)
Woohoo!!! Great job! Look at you GO!!!!! :D :D :D

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:40 am

gk wrote:
Sweetness wrote:.....and the scale this morning showed I have lost 4 more pounds.... Hope that stays off. My scale here is unreliable but it hasn't registered this particular number for me in at least 2 years! :mrgreen: :) 8)
Woohoo!!! Great job! Look at you GO!!!!! :D :D :D
Thank you, I would take a bow, but I had a FAIL today. :oops: That's 2 for April and its only the 12th. We had an unusually busy day, continual meetings from 8 AM to 8 PM. And by 1PM it was already hot and the meeting was at Starbucks. I wish they would make Frapuchinos without sugar. I asked them. I know it can be done, I've had one before at a different cafe... I wanted a Chai one, and it was SO too sweet! I didn't even enjoy it that much. Oh well. Now if I have another fail this month my new rule kicks in and I have to do a 21 day challenge. The good news is I'm feeling pretty good today.

April looks like this: 8) :mrgreen: :oops: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :| :wink: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :| :? :oops:
I need to get some more green, but I'm not giving up my S days. I am going to aim for a tame weekend, and Next week will be Better!!! Have a great weekend everyone.
Patty

No BS

Post by No BS » Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:59 pm

Patty, no worries about one itty-bitty fail.

Your consistent habits & wonderful exercise regime made you drop 4 pounds!! Well done, Patty. :mrgreen:

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:38 am

No BS wrote:Patty, no worries about one itty-bitty fail.

Your consistent habits & wonderful exercise regime made you drop 4 pounds!! Well done, Patty. :mrgreen:
Thanks! I wasn't really worried about it, just want to make sure I don't go down the slippery slope to complacency like I did last year and gained back 7 pounds! That's why I made a rule.

I had a mild weekend eating wise, partly because I was still having stomach trouble, must have gotten up and made 8 trips to that little room during the night last night. Finally took some medicine for it and asked for prayer, and am feeling better again. Hope this isn't TMI. I did go for a run on Saturday, again in the shopping center lot.
Patty

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:01 pm

I think several days of being sick and not eating much left me with a smaller stomach but hungry. Yesterday I was thinking of calling a Fail, but I think I'll count it another sick day instead, I was recuperating and it wouldn't have happened if I hadn't been sick. I got some extra sleep, I was feeling better but still a bit afraid to eat much. I had a very small breakfast, and so by noon I was quite hungry, and dinner here is not till 2 or 3. My husband had to go out, and said "lets plan on dinner at 3". I just felt like I should eat something, so I had some rice and a yogurt. The rest of the day was quite normal. It is nice to have my appetite back.

So the month of April looks like this (with 3 Sick days).

:mrgreen: :oops: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8) :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :? :oops: 8) :lol: :?
Patty

MJ7910

Post by MJ7910 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:25 am

just do what you need to do in order to feel better!

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:42 am

Glad to hear you're feeling better - sounds like there is definitely some bug going around the NoS boards :wink:

sleepygirlzzzz

Post by sleepygirlzzzz » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:25 pm

Hope you're feeling better today and are able to go back to eating 3 regular meals :D

SpiritSong

Post by SpiritSong » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:48 pm

I hope you're feeling better!

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:55 pm

MJ, Amy, Sleepy and Spirit,
I am feeling quite good since Monday. Thanks!

Tuesday and yesterday were success! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I did allow myself to eat some of the jello that came with my meal at the restaurant yesterday, but that's in keeping with my mod of allowing myself a few oops each month and still having a successful day.

It is VERY hot here, and back home in Minnesota it's snowing. Right now snow sounds good, but my friends and family are very tired of it!! Just a few more days and we'll be there.
Patty

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:07 am

Yesterday and today were Success :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I really like green!
Patty

No BS

Post by No BS » Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:39 pm

Hi Patty, glad you are back to your usual self & feeling good! :mrgreen:

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:22 pm

I'm writing this from the airport in Mexico City, waiting for our flight to Dallas, where we go through customs and change planes, then on to Minneapolis. We had a good weekend saying goodbye to people and to the heat and sunshine. 8) :lol: It snowed again in Minnesota last night, so I guess we won't miss it after all! Yesterday was a fail :oops: Nothing too huge, I was just putting some bags of nuts and dried fruit together for us and snitched a few. :roll: Today is a NWS day because of traveling.

Tomorrow I start a 21 day challenge. I made that rule that If I have 3 fails in one month, I have to do a challenge. I'm sure it will get me back on track. I need to get the red out of my life and firm up my habits.
Patty

SpiritSong

Post by SpiritSong » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:36 pm

Sweetness wrote:Tomorrow I start a 21 day challenge. I made that rule that If I have 3 fails in one month, I have to do a challenge. I'm sure it will get me back on track. I need to get the red out of my life and firm up my habits.
Hmmm, that's a good idea. Maybe I should try that myself.

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:23 pm

Our travel day went well yesterday and I'm so happy to be back in Minnesota again, and see my sons. After Mexico, they look and feel so BIG to me. Most men in Mexico are my height or shorter (I'm 5' 6 1/2") My boys are almost 6 feet, one is thin and the other average, and they're not my little boys any more! What do I expect, they are 25 and 26 years old!

There is still patchy snow on the grass here which is still brown. No buds on the trees yet... Its a shockingly late spring, but we'll get to enjoy the whole process of the season change. I went for a run/walk around the lake with my son David this morning. Its 5 K around the lake and I did it in about 53 minutes. It was such a pleasure. There is still ice on the lake, but open water all around the edges, and there were flocks of ducks I couldnt identify, plus loons, geese, mallards, woodducks, gulls and merganzers. I'm going to bring my binoculars next time! It was a bit windy, but the sun is shining, it was about 40 degrees F, we warmed up as we jogged.

Today is Day 1 of a 21 day challenge for me. Anyone care to join me? I'm looking forward to getting back on track. I weighed this morning, and it looks like the scale in Mexico is pretty close to accurate after all, I'm down about 15 pounds total. I expected to have gained a pound or two after two S days, a fail and a NWS day, and that's what it showed. My normal weigh in day is tomorrow, so I'll see if the number is better then.

Spirit, Thanks for stopping by, hope you will join me on a 21 day challenge. It always works for me because I know I have to start over if I have a fail. I've completed them several times, and it really helps me to get back on habit. 8)
Patty

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:31 am

Today is Day 1 of my challenge and it was Success !!

:mrgreen:
Patty

tobiasmom

21 days

Post by tobiasmom » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:14 pm

Awesome job! So glad you got to see your sons. I can't imagine when my little boys are grown!!

I'm in with ya. Yesterday was day 3 for me (3 greens in a row :)

Lets do this!

Sweetness

Re: 21 days

Post by Sweetness » Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:50 pm

tobiasmom wrote:Awesome job! So glad you got to see your sons. I can't imagine when my little boys are grown!!

I'm in with ya. Yesterday was day 3 for me (3 greens in a row :)

Lets do this!
Hurrah for you on 3 greens in a row!! I have 3 greens too, although yesterday had an S event, a movie, and I brought my own home popped corn. I still color it green. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: today and tomorrow are days 4 and 5 for me.

I have been running/walking around the lake every other day, walking on the off days. The ice is breaking up and honey combing. Won't be long till its gone, it's in the 70s with sunshine today. I had my bird book and binoculars with me today, and there were six kinds of diving ducks that I have either never seen or only seen once. What a pleasure for a birdwatcher!

It's almost exactly 5K around the lake here, and it takes me almost an hour of course slowing down to look at birds may be a factor... I'll be working on going a bit faster! My knees are doing well so far. 8)
Patty

sleepygirlzzzz

Post by sleepygirlzzzz » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:32 pm

Great work on your greens so far! Keep it up

I think I'll join you on your 21 day challenge - well, sort of. I'm still fairly new to this so really, I'm always working towards full green weeks (may have only managed 1-2 to date, can't recall). For sake of ease, I'm going to track my greens for the month of May plus the last 2 days of April. So technically, mine's a 25 day challenge :wink: :D

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:04 pm

Sleepygirl glad you can join us.

My weekend was a bit over the top for sweets. Feels good to be back to a normal day. It's a beautiful day! Felt so good to run around the lake!
Patty

MJ7910

Post by MJ7910 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:27 am

Great job on the continued running. Doing something you enjoy for exercise is important

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:58 am

MJ Thankyou!

Today is Day 6, Success! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8) :lol: :mrgreen:
Patty