Sweetness' "daily" check in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Sweetness
Location: Fall and winters in Cuernavaca, Morelos Mexico and summers in St Paul, Minnesota

Post by Sweetness » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:26 pm

Sweetness wrote:Just posted this to my testimonial:

As soon as I wrote my testimonial, I thought I should have explained what happened when I relapsed. I'm writing this for my own benefit, because I may soon be in a similar situation as last year, also it may help someone else to avoid the same mistakes I made.

When I started No S, i was quite motivated to lose weight, because i was alarmed at how much weight had crept back on. The first few weeks i was in Minnesota, we are busy there but it was the honeymoon period with No S and I lost about 3 pounds. I usually have a more laid back style of life here in Mexico. When we came to Mexico, it was nice to have the boards for encouragement, because when we first get here in the fall we usually are NOT busy, and I feel a little lonesome. I did well, settling in to a routine here with No S, but didn't get into much exercise, I kept loading my plates pretty full and didn't lose and maintain any more weight loss the six months we were here. When we got back to the states in April, I was So busy right away.... Working 30 plus hours a week, plus 15 to 20 hours of ministry work, alongside with conferences, helping my folks and trying to get together with friends. I actually maintained for a couple months even without posting here on the board. I took 5 trips in July and August, and didn't gain weight, but without accountability, September and October I just lost the habit... And gained 7 pounds!

So here is my plan for success this summer. I will keep up with my "daily" thread. I don't have to post daily but must account for EVERY DAY. Accountability is the most important key to success on the no S habit for me. I decided I won't work for pay more than 20 hours a week, the ministry and family must take priority. I'm also going to make a rule that if I have more than 4 reds in a month, I have to do a 21 day challenge to get back on track. Those have always helped me, and I can do them. I've done 3 this winter. I'll also keep up with the running at least 3 times a week. So far this habit has been self motivating for me, i missed only once since I started, and thats this week, the hotel had no place to run, and it was too dangerous to leave the grounds. I just love the way I feel when I run and afterwards, and it's key to losing weight. So that's the plan, it helped me to think this out, hope it helps someone else. 8)
I thought I should repost my plan for the summer... Get the commitment into my head, and learn from what happened last year. :wink:
Patty

Anxiety in a person's heart weighs him down, but an encouraging word brings him joy. (Proverbs 12:25 NET)
I'm a glutton for encouragement.

No BS

Post by No BS » Wed May 01, 2013 1:11 am

Patty, welcome home back to Minnesota!! You sound so happy & excited to back with family & friends.

I love your 3 fails in 1 month = a 21 day challenge rule. It's a wonderful way of preventing things from getting out of hand. Also, I like the common sense in your testimonial.

Good for you! :D And I am glad you have a chance to see SOME snow this spring! :lol:

We have a blizzard today with +121 km/h winds (highest clocked so far!).
If you are not living life on the edge you are taking up too much room!!

Sweetness
Location: Fall and winters in Cuernavaca, Morelos Mexico and summers in St Paul, Minnesota

Post by Sweetness » Wed May 01, 2013 2:31 am

No BS wrote:Patty, welcome home back to Minnesota!!

I am glad you have a chance to see SOME snow this spring! :lol:

We have a blizzard today with +121 km/h winds (highest clocked so far!).
You be careful and stay indoors girl! Do you have shutters for your windows or did you tape them? I suppose your dogs are tough and you can just let them out and they'll make it back OK? I give you permission to take a NWS day. It's Special with record winds, or you could call it a Snow S day or a Shut-in S day. :roll:

We just had another nice day, it's been in the 70s for a few days but a cold front is coming in and we might even get some more snow tomorrow night! Maybe you wished it for me because misery loves company... :?

Today is Day 7 and Success :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8) :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Patty

Anxiety in a person's heart weighs him down, but an encouraging word brings him joy. (Proverbs 12:25 NET)

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Thu May 02, 2013 2:18 am

Ooh, brrr, very cold today. I made the mistake of putting away my long underwear when it was so warm. I went for my run this morning it was windy and drizzling turning to sleet. No worries, I just bundled up and ran on the path that goes through the woods instead of by the lake, and I brought my umbrella. After running for about 20 minutes I warmed up! When we went out tonight, I wore a pair of pajama bottoms under my jeans!

I don't know why, but I've been so hungry all the time since I got here to Minnesota. Could be I'm adjusting to the different eating schedule, or maybe it's because I'm not eating as much fresh fruits and veggies. The only thing that's keeping me from snacking right now is the 21 day challenge! . Today is day 8 and it is S U C C E S S! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8) :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Patty

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Thu May 02, 2013 9:06 pm

I find that weather changes can affect my appetite. It turned suddenly cold today, and I want to snack. I ate a bigger lunch than I had planned because I was hungry, and I have wanted to eat all afternoon.

You have various changes going on with the move back north that it is no wonder your eating habits are affected. :mrgreen:
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.

sleepygirlzzzz
Location: Originally from Chicago; living in the UK for past 11yrs

Post by sleepygirlzzzz » Fri May 03, 2013 7:04 am

Wow Sweetness - running through sleet with an umbrella?! Now that's hardcore!

Well done on 8 days so far. I've been thinking of you and the 21 day challenge this morning as I dread my upcoming Friday evening cravings...

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Fri May 03, 2013 9:02 pm

Jean I think you're right. I have had lots of changes! I've been really piling my plates, too. Even so I want to snack all the time. I gained a pound this week! My weigh in day was yesterday. Could be hormones have something to do with it too, having other symptoms as well. Oh the joy of being a woman!

Sleepygirl It was pretty light sleet, but there was a sweet looking old man who stopped and asked me if I needed a ride. He couldn't believe me when I said I was out for exercise. :shock: Today I drove to the mall and jogged indoors. It was snowing the wet sticky kind with a wind this morning when I left.

Yesterday, day 9 was success! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8) :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Patty

sleepygirlzzzz

Post by sleepygirlzzzz » Tue May 07, 2013 8:55 pm

Hi,

Just checking in with you to see how your week's been going and to wish you a very green week :mrgreen:

:wink:

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Wed May 08, 2013 12:15 am

sleepygirlzzzz wrote:Hi,

Just checking in with you to see how your week's been going and to wish you a very green week :mrgreen:

:wink:
Hi Sleepy
Thanks for asking, I was doing fine till today. So I made it 13 days of success... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8) :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :) :wink: :mrgreen:

Today I kinda let the stress get to me. I did my run around the lake this morning, I'm doing well on going faster, 3 miles in 45 minutes, improved over 55 minutes when I first got back April 24. The weather is beautiful, so that's good. This afternoon I drove my mom and Dad to the dentist, and then went to the grocery store. I marked an extra item on my list before I got out of the car, my car keys must have been on my lap because when I came out there they were on the seat, locked in the car. I just hate that feeling! It's a loaner car, and we never got an extra key because our car dealer friend was looking for a better car for us. So many phone calls and about an hour later, my DS brought my DH over. He has the AAA card and has to be with the car for road service, so we waited another hour for them to come. Meanwhile we were getting bored and hungry, so we raided the bagels and cream cheese. then I pulled out the chocolate. I still made and ate wild rice soup for supper. :oops:

Oh well 13 days of success is good, and tomorrow will be day 1 again :roll:
Patty

sleepygirlzzzz

Post by sleepygirlzzzz » Thu May 09, 2013 7:07 pm

First of all, amazing progress on your running! Really well done.

Sorry to hear about the slip-up but you know the motto 'mark it and move on' :wink:

Only 1 more day until the weekend - thank goodness!

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Fri May 10, 2013 10:14 pm

Sleepy, thanks for the encouragement!

Wed and Thurs, Day 1 and 2 were success! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Patty

No BS

Post by No BS » Mon May 13, 2013 2:29 am

Sweetness, you are such an awesome chick!! :D Jogging around in the Minnesota sleet and snow carrying nothing but an umbrella, your Mexican winter tan, and a smile!!

Good grief ..... what a fabulous image!! :lol: And improving on your running times as well. How cool is that!! 8)

Do not discount the caloric load demanded by your body when you go from a warm climate to a cold climate. That is why you want more food, Sweetness. It takes a while for a body to adjust.

Bugger about the car keys. Don't you just hate it when that happens?? And here's to your 21-day challenge. I know you will pull it off with your usually aplomb and panache!! :D
If you are not living life on the edge you are taking up too much room!!

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Fri May 17, 2013 1:08 pm

No BS thanks, it's always so good to hear from you! So encouraging!

I'm having a green week, but still struggling with being hungry, the different eating hours, and with putting too much on my plate. I weighed in yesterday and I have gained 2 pounds since returning to Minn. ouch!

I am running every other day about 3 1/2 miles. I ran with my young friend and son the other day. They literally ran circles around me. She was challenging me to sprint. I tried to humor her. Even with my short sprints added, my overall pace was about the same... I think I'll stick with my slow steady jog.

Yesterday was day 9 of success!
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8) :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Patty

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Wed May 22, 2013 3:42 am

I've been trying a different food emphasis and liking it. More protein, with healthy fats, more veggies, less refined carbs. Still 3 plates a day, but feeling more satisfied with what I'm eating. And I decided to eliminate the dark chocolate on N days again for a while. I was allowing it with meals, but I think I need to count it as a sweet again, even though in theory its not, its the 85 percent chocolate, and not much sugar. I tucked it away in the freezer, and will pull it out on the weekend.

Tonight I went to a weight loss discussion support group that my good friend organized. Enjoyed it a lot.

Today is day 14 of my challenge and success!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8) :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :wink: :P :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Patty

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Thu May 23, 2013 3:02 pm

You are describing exactly how I eat when I am "being good." I need protein, and if I do not eat enough of it, I tend to compensate by overeating. I am not a big pasta or rice fan although I do like potatoes. I do not eat a lot of bread. So, my meals tend to be meat and vegetables and fruits with some wheat bread products or corn tortillas or occasionally potatoes. Unfortunately, I have a weakness at times for chips and processed foods. I do not have a huge problem with sweets but every once in awhile go crazy with sweets.

If I stick with the meal plan you describe, I am very satisfied. However, those temptations are still out there and I find them regularly.
Maintenance is progress.

sleepygirlzzzz

Post by sleepygirlzzzz » Thu May 23, 2013 6:12 pm

Your new food plan sounds great and it's good to hear that you're now feeling more satisfied.

Well done on all the greens so far. Only one more day until the weekend - hurray!

You know what, it's funny that even though we're only doing the 21 day challenge together virtually, it has really helped to keep me on the straight and narrow. I feel like I don't want to let you down. So thanks! :wink:

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:14 pm

sleepygirlzzzz wrote:Your new food plan sounds great and it's good to hear that you're now feeling more satisfied.

Well done on all the greens so far. Only one more day until the weekend - hurray!

You know what, it's funny that even though we're only doing the 21 day challenge together virtually, it has really helped to keep me on the straight and narrow. I feel like I don't want to let you down. So thanks! :wink:
Sleepy, I guess I dropped the ball on checking in here for the challenge. I have completed 21 plus days. Since I started going to this support group on Tuesdays, I have been recording my eating in a notebook, and have been doing better at controlling portions. Just lacking time to check in here! Hope you found the support you need from others.
Patty

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:20 pm

r.jean wrote:You are describing exactly how I eat when I am "being good." I need protein, and if I do not eat enough of it, I tend to compensate by overeating. I am not a big pasta or rice fan although I do like potatoes. I do not eat a lot of bread. So, my meals tend to be meat and vegetables and fruits with some wheat bread products or corn tortillas or occasionally potatoes. Unfortunately, I have a weakness at times for chips and processed foods. I do not have a huge problem with sweets but every once in awhile go crazy with sweets.

If I stick with the meal plan you describe, I am very satisfied. However, those temptations are still out there and I find them regularly.
Sounds like we have the same focus, food wise. I'm not always successful, but it helps the satisfaction a lot if I have healthy fats at each meal, like avocados, coconut or e.v. Olive oil. We also seem a lot alike as far as food weaknesses.
Patty

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:07 pm

I have been doing an online interactive Bible study called the Lord's Table and I'm really getting a lot of freedom quickly. Just did day 8. Anyone else done this or are you interested in doing the study? Check it out at settingcaptivesfree.com and then go to The Lords Table. They set you up with a mentor, and the study talks about fasting, but you don't have to follow the fasting or eating plan to do the study. The Bible study is Awesome. I'm going to need an accountability partner eventually, and was hoping to find one here, but would like to hear from you even if you're only checking it out.

I just started a thread about this on the general discussion board.

Blessings!
Patty

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:22 pm

I see that you are still hanging around, but like me, you are not posting as much. Hope things are going well for you.
Maintenance is progress.

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:35 pm

R. Jean, thanks I'm doing well. The Bible study I'm doing has a mentor and accountability which I need, but don't have time for both here and there! I've been jogging 2.5 to 4 miles about 6 days a week now and I feel great. I have lots more energy and motivation. I would like to say I'm losing lots of weight but its coming off S L O W L Y.... which is OK. Hope you are doing well too!
Patty

tobiasmom

Hey

Post by tobiasmom » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:11 pm

Wow! You inspire me! I have just started the couch to 5k! I would love to be able to do 2-4 miles a day :)

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:01 pm

Hi, Sweetness. Hope your plan is still working for you.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:14 am

Oh hi Patty, so glad you are back...I think we started the same year in 2011..(June for me, August for you) I have been gone as well...I gave No S two attempts that lasted about 5 months but this time I'm so loving the whole thing...

I also been following the concepts in this e-book, it's free!

http://dramyjohnson.com/wp-content/uplo ... ohnson.pdf
Age 56: SBMI=30.6 (12/1/13) CBMI 28.9 (2/2/14) GBMI-24.8

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:33 pm

NoSnacker, That's nice that you found my old thread and went to the trouble of finding the new one as well! You're the best!
Patty