Lavie's Check-in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

lavie

Lavie's Check-in

Post by lavie » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:37 pm

Hmmm, I'm not sure if I'll really be doing this daily. But regularly, yes. I've been kinda following no-S for months. Not strictly. But this weekend, I realized I need to kick my habit of overeating when depressed. I had been doing super great all week. Not even feeling hungry (I think because I have been eating less fruit.) But I have been having big relationship problems, I was feeling helpless, and I started sorta compulsively eating. Don't much like that.
I'm not really trying to lose weight, perhaps five pounds. But I want to stop all my disordered behaviors.

Threadbenders

Post by Threadbenders » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:20 pm

One of the things I like best about NoS is the framework for eating. When I have less choices to make, my emotional eating is less.

I look for other ways of dealing with it. Exercise is the best for me. Get those old endorphins rolling in the brain, and things seem better. I am currently doing 30 minutes on the treadmill each NoS day, and take the weekends off.

Take care!

Cathy B :wink:
Weight Jan. 2010--252 lbs.
Weight starting Nos September 6, 2011--183.4 lbs.
Current weight--178.4 lbs
Goal weight (?)--140 lbs.

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:58 pm

Welcome Lavie!
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139
Willingness without action is fantasy

lavie

Post by lavie » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:43 am

well, today was spot on. Oh course, today wasn't overly stressful.
I have a couple non-food stress-reduction ideas, though. Showers are helpful. So is going to bed early. Or reading a novel.
Or cuddling with my dog. I'm going to keep trying to go for those from here on out.

determined

Post by determined » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:06 pm

Lavie...

ANY day that is "spot-on" is a victory in my book! My "stay away from food" list includes walking my dog too...and knitting...and cleaning...and doing crafts with my daughter...anything out of the kitchen! lol...

I'm glad you're doing well...

janie
"Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day."
Winnie the Pooh

lavie

Post by lavie » Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:03 am

Today has been good too. Hmm, random little thought. I used to eat all sorts of fake sugar. Now, I've stopped all except stevia, and I try to moderate that. But I just realized my favorite bread has sucralose (splenda) hidden in it. I'm so paranoid, I'm worried that trace amount of splenda will mess with my brain, make me crave sweets, and thus, make me binge. I'm going to tell myself to stop being silly, stop worrying, and maybe find a more natural bread :)

lavie

Post by lavie » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:54 pm

I'm going to try and cut down on reading diet/nutrition websites too. I have an addiction, because they are kind of entertaining. But not very productive.

lavie

Post by lavie » Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:39 pm

Yesterday was my first S day since keeping this log. It was pretty good. I overate, but I didn't binge. I went to a party, a birthday party, so I had a cupcake, and some candy. Plus some healthier snacks, all late at night. Not my favorite time, but it was ok. Not excessive, I think. I don't mind overeating as much in social situations.

lavie

Post by lavie » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:17 pm

I feel the need for some little mods. I might try 3 0 7 girl's technique. A little sweet every day (I think I've been binging because my sweet tooth is angry) and no snacks, every day. But rules make me rebellious! And S days give me trouble. However, I do love no-S. Because this plan made me realize I really don't need to eat every 3-4 hours. And that is very, very freeing.

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:55 am

Nice to meet you!

This is a great community, and a wonderful healthy place to -- slowly -- develop healthy life habits. I hope you can find what you're seeking.

lavie

Post by lavie » Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:59 am

the past few days have gone really well. I've been keeping no-S principles, but not exactly adhering to the "rules." I've been having a small sweet every day. And I haven't been snacking, but I think I'd permit a bite between meals, if it was just a bite. So I haven't been following no-S with the intended strictness. But I haven't been having snacks or seconds. And I've been happy with how it's been working.

lavie

Post by lavie » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:03 am

ok, just articulating my mods. There are a lot, but I feel like right now, this is what works best for me. I love vanilla, but it wasn't quite working out. Firstly, I'm using the no-S rules as guidelines and aspirations. I'm trying not to snack, or have seconds, but if I fudge a little, so long as I'm concious of it, and don't binge, I'm not going to get negative about it (I feel like strictness makes me binge). I am striving for three meals, no snacks, no seconds, one small sweet. But if I have one small, healthy snack in addition, that's ok. The sweet, I find, allows me to eat healthier and not binge, if I have it to look forward to. I'm keeping it to about 100-150 calories (so, one small cookie, or a bite or two of scone or muffin, or a small scoop frozen yogurt.) We'll see how that goes. It has helped me cut down on stress eating so far. I still do it, but more freedom keeps me from getting crazy.

Sinnie

Post by Sinnie » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:38 pm

Lavie, I tend to do the same thing as you and it works pretty well for me. I am also not trying to lose much 5-7 lbs. Good luck!!!

lavie

Post by lavie » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:06 pm

I love all the replies, and knowing that many of you guys need to tweak the system a little too :)

lavie

Post by lavie » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:50 pm

I do need to work on my nightime snacking. I have managed to stop binging pretty much, but I have had several episodes of snack attacking. Not good. At all. Hmm, better start thinking tactically.

lavie

Post by lavie » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:00 pm

I'm making a commitment to really tackling my eating problems for good. Keep you posted :) And that means no-S, pretty much. Almost vanilla. I think I'll allow that bite or two of sweets per day. Just because that's the one S I want to keep. But snacks and seconds are out of here. And that one small sweet each day . . . I'm going to keep a tight, tight rein on it. I figure if I have less than a tablespoon of sugar in that one sweet, it's an acceptable deviation. Since I don't put sugar in my coffee, and I don't eat sweetened cereal, or sweetened yogurt, and I'm quite strict about added sugars in general.

lavie

Post by lavie » Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:12 pm

I've got the Beck Diet Solution, and I'm using that in tandem with my "one S" diet. So far, so good. Of course, it hasn't been long ;)

lavie

Post by lavie » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:49 pm

Still here, still trucking. I can't claim to be following No S right now, but I'm working in that direction. Still using Beck, still liking it, still making progress. My weight has stabilized, after about a month of up and downs. A little higher that I like it, so I'm trying to slooooowwwwllllyy loose five pounds. But I'm working on habit and behavior first.

lavie

Post by lavie » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:22 pm

My stress level has gone down a bit, which has made huge inroads in my stress eating problems. Now, I just need to make my new, better habits super strong and permanent.