Barb's No "S"

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Barb

Barb's No "S"

Post by Barb » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:21 pm

Hi everyone. I have enjoyed reading the daily check in's and decided to post.

I started "No S" yesterday, Monday, September 26th. I am 59 years old from Austin, Texas and weighed in yesterday at 251.5. I really like how some of you are weighing once a month. I weigh daily (as a rule), so I am going to try this (I think it will be freeing not to weigh every day).

I am training to do a half marathon in November and I am up to walking 11 miles (once a week...usually on Saturday..Saturday is my long walk). During the week I also have a more moderate walking schedule. I walk a lot. I am praying that with all of my walking and if I also do "No S" I will shed some pounds. I will post daily.

I am also doing free weights 3 x a week, and ride my exercise bike.

Yesterday (my first day was a green day)

my menu was:

Breakfast: Hamburger Pattie with melted cheese (strange I realize)
Lunch: Homemade Chicken Salad sandwich on bun with a handfull of chips
Dinner: Steak, Mashed Potatoes, Green Beans

Exercise: 30 min bike ride and 45 min. weight routine

Thank you for all of your support..

Barb

Weigh-in:
September 26, 2011 - 251.5
Barb
Austin, Texas
Starting Date: 09/26/11
Starting Weight: 251.5
Current Weight: 250
Goal Weight: 160
Height: 5'7"

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:38 am

Welcome! I wish you the best of luck!

I am 55 and love your commitment to exercise. I will watch for your posts.
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.

Barb

Wednesday, Sept. 28th Check In

Post by Barb » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:49 pm

Thank you so much r.Jean for your welcome. I have read many of your posts and you have so inspired me! Thank you!! I look forward to inspiring each other.

Like you, exercise is important to me as well and I am so happy to be trying "No S" along with it. I never dreamed in a million years I would be training for a 1/2 Marathon. NEVER! Well, I am and I know now I can do it and will do it. It has been one of the best things I have ever done for myself. I started training in April and could barely do the 1 mile required of me...now this coming Saturday I will be walking 12 miles. This is all amazing to me. It has made me feel like I can do anything I want to do. I will take it further to say that anyone can do anything they want to do if they really desire it and are willing to put effort into it.

It felt so strange not to weigh this morning, but I am resolved to wait a month before weighing. It is almost scary to me not to weigh. I know that sounds so strange. I have never gone a month before weighing..but I really want to get away from the scale.

Yesterday was a "Success"

Breakfast: Hamburger Pattie/melted Cheese
Lunch: Chicken Quarter, Mashed Potatoes with butter and green salad with dressing (all on 1 plate)
Dinner: Pan fried (in Olive Oil) Talapia with some shrimp over rice

Exercise: 1 hr. 10 min walk
35 Min Bike Ride

Please feel free to comment on my food..I need all the direction I can get.
After dinner last night ice cream sounded so good...didn't do it...

I believe I can do this...My biggest goal is to enter my 60's slim and strong. I don't turn 60 until August, so I have almost a year and will continue to work hard.

Everyone have a GREAT day!!

Barb
Barb
Austin, Texas

tobiasmom

hey

Post by tobiasmom » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:51 pm

Hey there! I'm in San Antonio! I've had my ups and downs with No-S, but it has nothing to do with the program. It's amazing! I just get stubborn sometimes and want to do my "own" thing which never bodes well for me!

Great job on all that walking! Wowzers!!!

Barb

Hi tobiasmom!

Post by Barb » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:56 pm

We are very close....it has been a hot one, hasn't it! I understand being stubborn...I skip around to much (to many different diets)...always changing...I am praying I can stick to this and see what happens!

Good luck to both of us!

Barb
Barb
Austin, Texas

Barb

Post by Barb » Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:47 pm

For some reason I am posting under "Barb's No S" and "Thursday". I have done something wrong! I will figure it out! For now, I will apologize for posting twice.. :)

Thank you NoSRocks...I really appreciate your support!
Barb
Austin, Texas

Pangelsue2

Post by Pangelsue2 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:19 am

Welcome Barb, Congratulations on training for a half marathon. That is amazing. Best of luck with No S. I think you will like it.
I'm baaaack.

Barb

Post by Barb » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:01 pm

Good morning all.

Friday was a success!

Saturday and Sunday were okay. I didn't feel like I went way overboard, but felt like I had to many salty snacks..that is so not good for me. Football party (we are all big UT Longhorn Fans) and I really ate the chips and dips...that was my dinner and it was an "S" day, but I am not proud of that, and I ate stuffed mushrooms, hamburger sliders on yummo rolls..just way to much and more than one plate. I didn't eat any sweets.

I did walk 12 miles on Saturday...and I have to tell you it pretty much wiped me out for the rest of the day! hahahaha I still did things (like the football party, etc.), but I was bone tired...

I will be excited for the half marathon to be here (in November), so after that I can settle into a more reasonable walking schedule.

Sunday, I enjoyed lunch and a movie with girlfriends where I also ate popcorn (buttered) and some nuts. Sunday eve. dinner at my daughter's - friend fish, shrimp, etc.... I did get in a 3 mile walk...that felt so good. Our weather is getting a little cooler which helps so much!

I just feel really "puffy" this morning and am anxious to get back with some good clean days. Next weekend I am going to strive not to eat like that.

I hope everyone had a great weekend. I did download the book to my Kindle and look forward to reading it.

Barb
Barb
Austin, Texas

tobiasmom

hey

Post by tobiasmom » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:33 pm

12 miles??? Awesome! Where do you walk? And do you walk with a group? That's a HUGE commitment!!!!

Barb

Post by Barb » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:04 pm

Hi tobiasmom, YOU are so right, this has been a huge commitment for me. I never dreamed in 100 years I would be able to walk a 1/2 Marathon. My daughter and her mother in law (another Barbara) decided they wanted to (the middle of April), so I decided to go for it. I started training the week of April 18th. My schedule started me at 1.5 miles....now I am up to 12 miles! Please believe me I am not bragging...but still just can't believe it.

I am training by myself. Emily (daughter) and Barb G. (her mother in law and also wonderful friend) they are training together and they are much faster than I am, so I am doing the training on my own. I listen to my audio books...

I live real close to a little lake that has a trail around it. The trail is clearly marked and is 3.1 miles around the lake. I also belong to a little gym that has an indoor walking track..which I have had to use at times. I also walk smaller walks during the week downtown Austin (that includes hills).

The marathon is November 14...I can't wait!! Yet I am kinda scared about it as well...This is so different for me, and something I didn't ever dream I could do...and yet here I am..

I have also been doing weights 3 times a week since April just to make me feel stronger.

I hope you have a great day!
Barb
Austin, Texas