Idon'tknow's check in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

idontknow

Idon'tknow's check in

Post by idontknow » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:01 pm

Ok - about to start my third official try at No S. My first try was successful for about ten months, but then for some reason I derailed. I tried again in April, but didn't really succeed. I have now put all the weight back on that I lost and am really cross with myself. I know this way of eating makes sense, and I know it can work for me.
Things that worked in the past:
Daily check-ins
Daily weigh-ins
Habitcal
Weekly/two weekly/three weekly rewards

So fresh start tomorrow with this in mind: Don't fear failure, don't crave success, just love what you do. I heard this on the radio yesterday - didn't catch who said it, but it resonated.
Last edited by idontknow on Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:23 pm

"Love what you do." Great advice.

For something like this, the means IS the end.

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:49 am

WELCOME BACK ! Nice to "see"you again!! :D :D
No S-er since December 2009
Streamlined S Days: 6/25/12
SW: 170 /CW: 127
Weight loss to date: 43 lbs

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:39 pm

Thank you Roxy - it's nice to be back.

140lbs
Success today
B - pineapple/porridge
L - cheese and ham sandwich/yogurt/cereal bar (no fruit left to take to work!!)
D - Hungarian pork chop

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Welcome back...nice to see people that have confidence in the program come back fighting.

I'm struggling right now so I like to read encouraging posts.

Deb
Age 56: SBMI=30.6 (12/1/13) CBMI 28.9 (2/2/14) GBMI-24.8

Pangelsue2

Post by Pangelsue2 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:15 am

Welcome back. This is a good place to be and it will help, I'm sure.
I'm baaaack.

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:30 am

Thank you for the encouragement everyone. I am looking forward to this week and to proving that I can follow the rules. I'm also looking forward to feeling healthy because I'm eating properly.
139lbs

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:10 am

idon'tknow wrote:I am looking forward to this week and to proving that I can follow the rules. I'm also looking forward to feeling healthy because I'm eating properly.
Totally in the same boat with you...I hope to start feeling better again...and have a green week...

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:20 pm

NoSnacker - I'm sure you will have a brilliant week :D
Success today.
B - fruit/porridge with honey
L - soft cheese and ham salad sandwich/fruit/yogurt
D - chips/chicken/peas/onion rings/bread (too many carbs, really, but all on one plate and nice).

Tuesdays are my tricky day - but I am determined to stay focussed!

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:51 am

Tuesday was a success. Not sure why it's a difficult day, but it has often caused me to falter and then throw in the towel for the rest of the week. Not this time though!
138.6lbs
B - melon/porridge/honey
L - sandwich/fruit/yogurt
D - sausage and bean pasta/garlic bread

Wednesday
138.8lbs

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:47 am

Wednesday - success. It was hard going at times - in my third meeting of the day, heading towards 6pm...... I just wanted to reach for the biscuits. But I reached for the orange juice instead :D

B - fruit/porridge/honey
L - sandwich/yogurt/fruit
D - sticky chicken with rice. This was hot hot hot - so left some rice and added a yogurt to cool down my mouth!

Thursday
138.2lbs

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:05 am

Thursday - a 'managed' success. I arrived home from work to find that eldest daughter and husband were at the hospital. Nothing serious thankfully - just a twisted knee on her part but the less serious your injury, the longer you have to wait..... And this meant I had to take the youngest one to singing lessons - and of course this meant there was no one to make dinner. So it was a very late chip shop dinner, which meant I had a piece of toast before going out to the singing lesson. I'm not counting it as a fail because, although it wasn't planned in advance, it was necessary to stop me from getting too hungry and it wasn't chaotic eating.

Friday
137.8lbs

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:40 am

I surely wouldn't call that a failure either. I think if situations come upon us like what happened to you, then surely we need to adjust our plans. I think if we are too rigid when we need to change briefly that could lead to failing.

You did great...

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:34 am

Thanks NoSnacker :D It's true that we need to adapt to circumstances. It's also true that we need to know how to trick ourselves psychologically. If I had treated that one piece of toast as a fail, I would have wrecked the whole day. As it was, I contained it in a mini meal. Isn't it bizarre how our minds work?

Friday - success
B - fruit/porridge/honey
L - 2 slices of toast and marmite/apple/cereal bar (a rubbish lunch for a variety of reasons)
D - jacket potato/chicken with cheese and tomatoes/cabbage
Hot milk to see me through from lunch to dinner

Saturday - 137.2lbs

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:47 pm

idon'tknow wrote:It's also true that we need to know how to trick ourselves psychologically. If I had treated that one piece of toast as a fail, I would have wrecked the whole day. As it was, I contained it in a mini meal. Isn't it bizarre how our minds work?
I went for a walk this morning with a friend that is struggling and she said we came to place were are today from a long long time ago..and it might take a long time to change the thinking.

I just don't want to be 70 and finally get it..

Glad you are back!

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:56 am

Thanks NoSnacker :D

Saturday - not a 'good' S day. In fact it was a nutritional disaster. Started the day with pain au chocolat, pizza for lunch, grazed on chocolate/sweets all afternoon, dinner was ok - salad, jacket potatoes, bacon and cheese, more chocolate after dinner.
Result? Tired during the afternoon -almost fell asleep and I realised I didn't feel like that at all last week. Very very thirsty, too, which must be due to the sugar and salt in everything I ate. And of course my weight is up on Friday's weight. I'm not too worried about that - it always happens at weekends and then it goes down again during the week.

So - Sunday plans are: more fruit, a planned treat (cake mid-afternoon or chocolate after dinner). Step class this morning.

I like the 'light' feeling I get from No S when I am following the rules properly. I am full of energy and life is not an effort. I want to feel like that at weekends, too.

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:10 am

idon'tknow wrote:So - Sunday plans are: more fruit, a planned treat (cake mid-afternoon or chocolate after dinner). Step class this morning.

I like the 'light' feeling I get from No S when I am following the rules properly. I am full of energy and life is not an effort. I want to feel like that at weekends, too.
I like feeling better in the mornings as well when we eat healthier or not too much.

Hope you have a find yourself feeling light this morning...

deb

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:45 am

Sunday - started off with good intentions, but again I ate far too much. It's an S day and I cannot fail, so I'm not going to worry about it now.
Monday 139.2lbs
Success - out for dinner with visiting relatives. I had main course only - although I did add a few chips from daughter's plate :oops:
Tuesday 139lbs

Over43

Post by Over43 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:03 pm

We live life in stages. There are times when I am spot on with No S, for weeks and months, and then there are weeks and months when it is a dietary free for all. I want to enter my 50's healthy, and more slender, from a health point of view. Plus I have arthritis and extra weight seems to aggravate that.

There are a lot of things in life we stop and start.

O43
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:38 pm

There are a lot of things in life we stop and start
That's very wise, O43. Thanks for the thought and I hope you manage to achieve your goals :)

Tuesday
Success
B - melon/porridge/honey
D - pasta with ricotta and pine nuts/salad

Turned down biscuits at a meeting, chocolate bar at the end of the working day.

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:31 pm

The week has become a little disordered. Wednesday was the big girl's birthday. I had planned a piece of birthday cake as an S event, but ended up eating more than I should have so have recorded it as a fail. Thursday - parents evening so I have been at school until late which led to disordered eating and a fail.
Friday - at a wedding. S day planned.

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:12 am

IDK -- Great to see you around. :D Sounds like you've had quite the week! It can be hard when there are a lot of legitimate celebrations at once ... Have a lovely weekend! Hopefully next week will be a little easier to navigate. :)

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:41 am

Thank you for the encouragement Sophia. I'm hoping that this week will get back to 'normal'...

Monday 140.4lbs
Success

Tuesday 139.8lbs

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:59 pm

Monday 139.8lbs
Success. Last week was a bit of a disaster - but restarting today with success.

milliem

Post by milliem » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:37 pm

Congratulations on your success today :) A good start to a new week!

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:42 pm

Thanks Milliem.
Tuesday - not such a success.
Wednesday - success.

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:41 pm

And a month later, I'm back again....

143.4lbs Success
B - mango/toast with honey
L - ham and cheese sandwich/yogurt/fruit
D - chips/beef/peas/bread and butter

Nothing more to add. We all know the story....

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:58 pm

141.6lbs

Success
B - mango/toast/honey
L - plate of buffet food at conference
D - macaroni cheese/bread

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:51 pm

142.4lbs
Success
B - pineapple/toast/honey
L - sandwiches/fruit
D - lamb/tomatoes/mini roasties

milliem

Post by milliem » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:37 pm

Welcome back idk! looks like your week is off to a good start :)

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:16 am

Thanks, milliem - unfortunately after my last post things went downhill rapidly....
Wednesday was a fail after all - chocolate after dinner.
Thursday was a fail. I went to a funeral and the family gathering afterwards went on longer than planned. This led to disordered eating and a definite fail.
Friday set out with good intentions, but quickly turned into a 'food as misguided self-nurture' day. This term has been very busy and I am constantly behind with work. I reach for food automatically during the day to make me feel better. Of course, long-term it doesn't - my clothes don't fit, I feel heavy and lumpy, and I am tired and unfit. I need to be very strict with myself and find other forms of comfort. This is difficult though, as during the day there is no time and food is easy to grab. I suppose it's just a habit that needs breaking, one day at a time - which is what No S is all about :) . I have successfully followed No S at work before, but not for quite a while now. This situation definitely needs sorting - the food is not going to disappear, and I need to eat properly, feel healthier and lose weight. Rationally, I know that 'if hunger is not the problem, food is not the answer' etc, but I am unable (unwilling?) to apply this knowledge during my busy busy day.
I feel as though I have written this same paragraph many times and nothing changes - I dip in and out of No S making grand commitments but I fall into the same habits day after day.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:07 am

Try planning 3 meals a day that you truly enjoy. Stick to Vanilla No S but enjoy it! I am not sure how tall you are, but your weight does not seem to be terrible. Go for the structure, but go easier on yourself concerning the content of your meals. You will be less likely to fall off of the wagon!

milliem

Post by milliem » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:02 am

You can still have food to comfort you and that you enjoy with a NoS structure, even on N days! Is there any way you can avoid having food around you during the day, so you can't reach for it even if you want to?

Maybe try taking 2 minutes to read a favourite magazine, or website, or blog etc. when you are feeling stressed out by work. Give your brain a break!

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:52 pm

Thank you, rjean and milliem for your encouragement and kind words. However, the problem is not meals - I have good meals which I enjoy and which are satisfying. I am not hungry between meals and, when I am in the right frame of mind, can easily last from lunch at 1pm to dinner at 8pm. The problem is one of overwhelm - I need to find a way of dealing with that and then I will be able to ignore the food. If I was using cigarettes or alcohol in the same way that I am viewing and using food, I would be in serious trouble!
r.jean - you are correct - I am not massively overweight. I am 5ft 2ins and therefore need to lose about 14lbs. It's not the weight that bothers me so much as the habits I am struggling to break and the weight gain it will lead to if I don't get a grip of good habits.

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:43 pm

144lbs

B - melon/porridge and honey
L - sandwich/tangerines/cereal bar
D - oven chips/chicken/peas/onion rings

Success

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:59 am

Tuesday - success

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:08 pm

Wednesday - success

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:37 am

Ok - so this week followed the same pattern as last week. Wednesday turned into a contained fail in the evening after dinner. Thursday and Friday were then spectacular fails. Pangelsue's post about no excuses hit a nerve early in the week - why didn't I follow through?

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:30 am

Back today (28 December) for a restart. It's no longer a third time lucky, but heigh-ho.
Tomorrow will be a NWS day as we are seeing family, so I'm hoping that two green days (with a break) before the weekend will help me to be successful next week.
I am heavier now than when I first started No S. I am determined to refind the focus that I had this time last year and to be successful again.
53 years old
Average weight loss:
May 18 - 2.45lbs

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:45 am

Wednesday was a success :D It was hard towards the end of the day but I was determined to come back on here and post a success. Truth to tell, I'm a bit embarrassed by my constant restarts and subsequent failures, so for my own pride it was necessary to stick to the goal I had set. I also went to a 75 min yoga class, which was lovely and left me feeling positive and relaxed.
Today is a NWS day - we have family down from Scotland so it's another celebration day, which will be fun. Tomorrow is another green day - I am determined.
53 years old
Average weight loss:
May 18 - 2.45lbs

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:57 am

So, Thursday was a family day - lots to eat and drink.
Friday - was green until 9pm - when I caved in to chocolate as we were watching a film. So a failure, but not an 'eating all day failure' - a contained failure.
53 years old
Average weight loss:
May 18 - 2.45lbs

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:11 am

Tuesday - 146.8lbs.

Goal for January - to re-establish No S habits. I have other things in my head I want to achieve, but I know that is the one which will bring me the most peace at work and at home and which will have knock-on effects in other areas. I realised it took me 10 days to wind down after the very manic end of term. I'm now more relaxed and can see the mistakes I have been making and some changes I need to make to improve things.
The first of these is to take care of myself. I have been using food to do this in a very self-destructive way. It is the feeling of overwhelm at work that leads me to eat and (thanks to Flylady) I have worked out some simple changes I can make to reduce the overwhelm. I'm heading for 21 days of compliance - there are no special events in the near future - just the hard slog of January and February. If I succeed (and I am determined) I have my eye on a very special facial oil as my reward :)
53 years old
Average weight loss:
May 18 - 2.45lbs

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:01 am

Monday was a success, and it was not difficult to stick to the rules either. However, I rarely find Mondays difficult. Tuesdays and Wednesdays are my temptation days - the weekend seems so far away!

Monday - B - toast/honey
L - cheese and biscuits/fruit
D - home made burger and chips/salad

Tuesday: 146.6lbs
53 years old
Average weight loss:
May 18 - 2.45lbs

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:46 pm

Tuesday - success.
B - porridge/honey
L - cheese sandwich/yogurt/fruit
D - pasta with creamed mushrooms and nutmeg/garlic bread

I ate far too much for dinner (it was delicious) but broke no rules!
53 years old
Average weight loss:
May 18 - 2.45lbs

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:18 pm

Wednesday 146lbs. Success

B - pineapple/porridge and honey
D - chilli/jacket potato
Glass of orange juice this afternoon

I've noticed that I have 'eating habits' as I walk around during the day: I go to one area and think about grabbing a bit of toast, in the meeting I look at the biscuits, after the meeting I think about the sweet tin..... I haven't done any of these this week, but they are my routines that I need to break.
53 years old
Average weight loss:
May 18 - 2.45lbs

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:14 pm

Thursday - 145.6lbs

Success.
L - goats cheese salad sandwich/yogurt/fruit
D - prawn and sausage gumbo (yum!)

Easy today.
53 years old
Average weight loss:
May 18 - 2.45lbs

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:11 pm

Friday. 145lbs. Success
L - sandwich/yogurt/flapjack
D - rarebit pork chop/mash/green beans

5 successful days. 1.8lbs down. The success is down to being determined and not giving in. This is my first green week for a long long time :D
53 years old
Average weight loss:
May 18 - 2.45lbs

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:50 am

Saturday 144.4lbs

I'm following the No Solitary Snacking mod at weekends. This will make a big difference to my eating habits on S days.

Plans for the weekend: yoga today, family party this afternoon. Step class and eye test tomorrow.
53 years old
Average weight loss:
May 18 - 2.45lbs

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:25 pm

Monday 147.6lbs
Success

B - Melon/porridge/honey
D - chicken/chips/peas

I'm a bit gutted that I'm heavier than this time last week. I actually thought I'd had a good weekend, but obviously still ate too much!

Still - will keep on going
53 years old
Average weight loss:
May 18 - 2.45lbs

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:54 am

Tuesday 146.4lbs - success
B - toast/honey/fruit
D - jacket potato/cheese/bacon/tomatoes

I even managed to resist a piece of chocolate cake that someone left on my desk. I found another colleague to give it to who had helped me out last week. Felt very virtuous. :D

Wednesday 145.6lbs
53 years old
Average weight loss:
May 18 - 2.45lbs

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:57 pm

Wednesday - success, but I ate a lot.

Thursday 146lbs. Success
53 years old
Average weight loss:
May 18 - 2.45lbs

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:25 pm

Friday 145.2lbs

Out for dinner - just one plate and I didn't eat it all. Success - 2 full green weeks now :D
53 years old
Average weight loss:
May 18 - 2.45lbs

milliem

Post by milliem » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:30 pm

idon'tknow wrote: Success - 2 full green weeks now :D
Brilliant!!

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:45 am

Thanks Milliem :D
The last time I had 2 green weeks in a row was February 2011 :oops:. The habit cal shows that red days started to creep in after that until I gave up altogether in the summer and then started again half-heartedly in the autumn.
This restart feels different. I think this is because I am determined to change the way I eat. Of course, weight loss would be good but my primary goal is to eat in a normal way without being obsessed by chocolate, sweets etc. So far I am finding it easy (hope that's not famous last words :roll: ). Yesterday (S day) I ate a lot - big meal at my in-laws. However, no solitary snacking was a success - this is a big problem for me on s days. And I even had to remind myself several times in the morning that this was an S day - kept forgetting!
So - one more green week to go and then I will have reached my 21 days - the first one since 2010! I've promised myself a reward of some lovely (quite expensive) face oil when I get there..... and I am not going to fail.
53 years old
Average weight loss:
May 18 - 2.45lbs

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:39 pm

Sunday was a bit of a disaster, food-wise. Moving on to Monday......success. 147.2lbs
I incorporated a mini-meal of toast and marmite as I had to stay at work for a late meeting. Hungry today - I also added food to my lunch. In reviewing this it doesn't sound like much of a success, but it was planned and contained - which makes it a success in my book.
53 years old
Average weight loss:
May 18 - 2.45lbs

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:56 pm

Tuesday - 147lbs. Success.
53 years old
Average weight loss:
May 18 - 2.45lbs

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:33 pm

Wednesday 145.6lbs Success
53 years old
Average weight loss:
May 18 - 2.45lbs

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:00 pm

GREAT STUFF, idk! Really enjoying your posts, btw. I kinda miss logging in my weight since I decided to stop weighing a few weeks ago. (Might seem a bit crazy to some of us; its a bit of a double edged sword for me, I'm afraid. If I weigh and get a disappointing result, i get panicky and start worrying etc. But not knowing what I weigh at the moment, is starting to irritate me a bit and get me feeling a bit antsy and not to mention even a bit anxious incase I am indeed piling on pounds and not taking immediate steps to curb the gain. :roll: Not sure how to go about it right now, tbh.

Anyway, have a great week and look forward to your next posts!!
No S-er since December 2009
Streamlined S Days: 6/25/12
SW: 170 /CW: 127
Weight loss to date: 43 lbs

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:13 pm

Thanks Roxy - I'm posting my thoughts on daily weighing on your thread.

Thursday 144.4lbs. Success. The facial oil will be mine on Saturday when I will have completed 21 days!! :D
53 years old
Average weight loss:
May 18 - 2.45lbs

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:52 am

Friday 144lbs

So, this weekend - Sunday to be exact - is our wedding anniversary. Friday evening both girls were out so we decided to have a meal out to celebrate. This was at a fantastic tapas restaurant in town. Now, it is not easy to virtual plate when eating tapas, and I know I ate far too much plus dessert. I am still full this morning.
The question is - do I count it as a fail, an S event, or do the 'S day slide' as KCCC would call it?
I don't really want to class it as a fail, as it is the last day of my third green week - really don't want red on that habitcal. Plus I had said no to several temptations during the day - birthday cake, jam doughnuts, and chocolate.
An S event is fine - but how does that affect my goal of 21 days?
S day slide means I start the S days early and finish early on Sunday. My 21 day is due to finish at bedtime on Sunday. Having 2 normal S days means I would technically have finished yesterday. Doing the S day slide means I need to make sure I succeed Sunday after dinner - which shouldn't be a problem.
The S day slide it is! I will buy my lovely facial oil today, but won't use it until Sunday bedtime. And there will be no red on my habitcal :D
53 years old
Average weight loss:
May 18 - 2.45lbs

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:10 pm

Sounds like you figured it out!

This was definitely not a red! For me it would have been an S day. However, I am toying with the idea of flexing my S days on the weekend and either taking Friday/Saturday or Saturday/Sunday depending on the weekend schedule. Doing the "slide" you describe would be a slippery slope for me because I would be allowing S events on 3 days even if it includes partial days. In my mind this means 3 S days.

Yet for you, this was a practical way to resolve it, and there is no way an anniversary dinner is a red.
Last edited by r.jean on Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:40 pm

Thanks for your support r.jean :D
I have finally made 21 days!!! A bit of an excessive weekend, but that's allowed. I also managed to stop at dinner time this evening in line with the S day slide. So - the facial oil is mine.... And here's to another 21 days :D
53 years old
Average weight loss:
May 18 - 2.45lbs

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:50 pm

Monday 145.2lbs Success

Tuesday 144.2lbs Failure :(

Tuesday has always proved to be a difficult day for me on No S - and today has been no exception. I arrived home late, drained after a difficult day dealing with difficult people. I've made dinner, packed lunches for tomorrow and am in the middle of making dinner for tomorrow (Wednesdays are tricky in our house :roll: ). At this point I started to feel sorry for myself and reached for chocolate. WHEN WILL I LEARN??? What I really wanted was to sit down and have a cup of tea. That's what I should have done - dinner preparation would still have been there 15 minutes later.

I need to remember not to use food as a solution. I do this too often.
53 years old
Average weight loss:
May 18 - 2.45lbs

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:41 am

Identifying the problem and seeing the solution for the future is huge! Once you know that, you can (slowly) make the change.

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:55 pm

Thanks Thtrchic - I woke up this morning beating myself up (useless, can't stick to it etc), but then saw your message and gave myself a good shake. And I'm right back on top of things. It's been another stressful day, but no stress eating. I just reminded myself that it wouldn't make things any better, and I'm determined to finish the month with only one red day :D

Wednesday - success. 145lbs
53 years old
Average weight loss:
May 18 - 2.45lbs

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:01 am

Thursday 144.6 Success

This has been a difficult week and today just continued that trend. Here's to Friday being a better day :D

Friday 144.2
53 years old
Average weight loss:
May 18 - 2.45lbs

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:33 pm

Friday - 144.2lbs Still difficult, but a success. Weekend tomorrow :D
53 years old
Average weight loss:
May 18 - 2.45lbs

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:17 am

Saturday was a chocolate eating day - no restraint. And as a result I went to bed with a headache. This was either caused by my new glasses - or by the sugar I'd eaten. My money's on the sugar.
Today (Sunday) I'm going to see my dad so it will be an odd day in terms of eating habits.

We're nearly at the end of January. My goal for January was to re-establish N day habits. I think I have done this successfully as there has been only one red day all month. I have lost very little weight - probably about a pound. My weight goes down during the week, but up again after the weekend. That's ok, though - it wasn't my January focus. But the amount I eat is going to be my February focus.
Eating patterns are like this:
Breakfast (7am) - fruit and either porridge or toast
Lunch (1pm) - cheese sandwich, yogurt, fruit
Dinner (8pm) - family meal - varied

Breakfast is fairly healthy - although home made bread slices are huge and I am spreading full fat butter on it! Maybe I need to try and eat porridge more, or just half a slice of toast.
Lunch - Again, this is a full fat lunch, but it is a long time between my lunch and dinner and I am not getting so hungry that I can't last. I only have one slice of bread - so I'm not tinkering with this.
Dinner - Usually fairly healthy, home cooked dinner with veg. I think I eat too much at this meal - especially if the other half serves me, or if there is bread involved! I think I will try one serving spoon less on my plate and see how that goes.

So - February focus (which I'm starting on 30 January :D ) is to start to lose weight by reducing the amount I eat.
53 years old
Average weight loss:
May 18 - 2.45lbs

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:04 am

Sunday was another food filled day.....

Monday 146.6 - success. I think I could have eaten less at dinner - I really need to make sure I pay attention to how much I put on my plate. I'm so hungry by the time I eat that I want a big plateful of food. I need to find a way to convince myself that I can manage with less.
53 years old
Average weight loss:
May 18 - 2.45lbs

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:55 pm

Tuesday 146.2lbs

Success
53 years old
Average weight loss:
May 18 - 2.45lbs

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:33 pm

Wednesday - fail
Thursday - fail

Need to rediscover my determination and remember that tiredness can't be solved with food....
53 years old
Average weight loss:
May 18 - 2.45lbs

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:47 am

The whole of February has been a fail so far. This was after a fantastic January with only one red day.I can do this when I choose, so why do I choose not to?
A friend who has lost a lot of weight, and who knows I am struggling, recommended 'The Idiot Proof Diet' by India Knight. Reading this book made me feel sad and desperate. It's a low carb diet and the thought of restricting bread to twice a week for the rest of my life or cutting out potatoes for ever made me want to cry. it made me realise that restrictive diets are not for me and has brought me back to this site today. The book does address several uncomfortable issues, such as emotional eating and how we make ourselves feel ok about being overweight - some good 'food for thought' there.
I haven't managed to follow No S consistenly for the last year. I want to be at the point where I don't think about eating between meals and where I have control over my eating. I have succeeded in this before and I think I have identified why I haven't managed it for the last year.
So I am making a commitment to follow this plan consistently for the next 12 months. I am aiming to firmly establish No S habits, lose the excess weight I have ( about 17lbs - not as much as some people, I know, but I am only 5'2 and have a small frame). I will post every day and be honest about my slip-ups (I have a tendency to not post when I fail :oops:).
In the background I will be working on the things which are preventing me from succeeding. I have identified what they are and have a cunning plan to address them.
I would appreciate any support, encouragement and advice that people have to offer on an ongoing basis.
53 years old
Average weight loss:
May 18 - 2.45lbs

milliem

Post by milliem » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:54 am

Cunning plans are the best plans! :)

Good luck with your new commitment! I reckon understanding why you have struggled will help you not to repeat those failures again, so well done for that! It's something I struggle with too, so looking forward to hearing about your journey :)

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:21 am

idon'tknow wrote: I would appreciate any support, encouragement and advice that people have to offer on an ongoing basis.
I've definitely been there too, more than once :oops: , and I'm rooting for you, IDK. Take it one Green day at a time. Don't crash the car if you hit a bump in the road. Keep posting. I know that being accountable, if only to this cyber community, really helps me a lot. You've had great success with No S in the past and I'm positive that if you keep at it, you will find your groove again.

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:47 pm

Thank you so much, milliem and sophiasapientia. You have both written lovely messages which will keep me going for a while.

Monday 147.6lbs
Success.
B- (late as I was still full from everything I ate yesterday!) fruit/toast and honey
L - tomato soup/half cheese sandwich/yogurt/fruit
D - lamb chop/oven chips/onion rings/peas/bread and butter

A lot to eat today, but all followed the rules. I will work on cutting down the portions, but need to get back into no snacking/sweets first!
53 years old
Average weight loss:
May 18 - 2.45lbs

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:41 pm

Tuesday 147.2lbs
Success
B - mango/crumpets with honey
L - chicken and basil panini/oranges/crisps
D - pasta with bacon, mushrooms and onions

Exercise - 45 min spinning class. Oh. My. Goodness. It was hard core. This was a different class to my usual one and I will definitely be going back. I must be mad :D I always find it a bit odd that I have more energy for exercise when I eat less.... Logically that doesn't seem to make sense.
I feel so much better for controlling my eating and exercising over the last two days. I need to remember this feeling and draw on it when things get hard.
53 years old
Average weight loss:
May 18 - 2.45lbs

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:03 pm

idon'tknow wrote:.
I feel so much better for controlling my eating and exercising over the last two days. I need to remember this feeling and draw on it when things get hard.
Hear you. The bottom line about No-S is that we feel better when we eat that way!

And I keep re-learning that with you...

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:35 pm

Wednesday 145.2lbs (that spinning class shifted a lot of water!)

Success
B - mango/crumpets with marmite
L - half chicken and pesto pizza/chips (shared with my youngest - we were on a shopping trip together)
D - salmon with couscous crust/mash/green beans and tomatoes (delicious!)

KCCC - the right thing is not always the most attractive thing, is it? Faced with a choice between cake and nothing - I know the right choice is nothing, but cake is so much more appealing....
53 years old
Average weight loss:
May 18 - 2.45lbs

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:57 am

Thursday 145lbs.
Fail. Not a hopeless 'I'm so useless' fail, but a calculated, controlled one. I was at my dad's for the day and after dinner decided to join in the sweet eating. I could have said no, but didn't want to.
Went shopping for clothes and was a bit dejected by nothing fitting properly. I need to use that as motivation for dropping a few pounds! My goal to work towards is a wedding in June. I reckon I have 15 weeks before I need to go shopping. In theory I could be down 14lbs by then - that would make a huge difference :D
Food not good today -
B - mango/crumpets with butter/honey
L - MacDonalds
D - pizza/jacket potato/salad followed by sweets (hence the fail)

However, if I could follow this pattern of 3 meals with sweets after dinner at weekends I would be very happy. My meals do need to be better with more fruit and veg, but I struggle at half term when we are out and about.

Friday 145.6lbs - weight has gone up slightly. I am very thirsty - probably from all the salt and sugar yesterday. A day to drink lots of water and to refocus before the weekend.
53 years old
Average weight loss:
May 18 - 2.45lbs

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:29 am

Friday - fail

B - melon/crumpet with butter and marmite
L - boiled egg, toast, yogurt, fruit
D - restaurant meal of chicken, chips, peas and salad followed by shared cadbury's sundae..... :oops:

I could make it an S day slide - but it was a fail.....I wasn't intending to have it, but the other half wanted to share a dessert, and I'm not good at saying no :roll:

Exercise - 45 min spinning class

I'm aiming for moderate S days - much like the fails I've just had, if that makes sense. Sensible eating all day with a treat after dinner.

Work next week is staring me in the face, with all the stress and rushing around that brings. If I was talking to a friend, what advice would I give?
Friend: My work takes over my life. It's busy and demanding and there is never a minute in the day. I feel overwhlemed and this makes me react in negative ways - at work and at home.
Me: Do you enjoy it?
Friend: I love it - it's the best job I've ever had, but I don't love the way it's making me feel.
Me: So what can you change?
Friend: Well, I need to be ready for the day so that if a crisis happens I have time to deal with it. That means being prepared for the week before it starts. I can make sure that I leave at a reasonable time two days a week.
I could have set routines for the beginnings and ends of days so that paperwork doesn't get overwhelming.
Me: There you go then.
Friend: But that doesn't stop the massive amount of work I have to do at home. It doesn't stop the guilt about not doing my job properly.
Me: It's just a job. When you look back at this time in your life, what do you want to remember?
Friend: That I did a good job and made a difference.
Me: Are you doing that?
Friend: Yes - in small ways.
Me: Well then. Remember that good enough is good enough. You don't have to be perfect. You need to eat good food, drink your water, leave at a reasonable time, and set time limits around the work you do at home. Have time for your family and for yourself.
Friend: Thank you - I'll try.
53 years old
Average weight loss:
May 18 - 2.45lbs

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:13 pm

Monday 147lbs success
53 years old
Average weight loss:
May 18 - 2.45lbs

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:57 am

Tuesday 146lbs
Pancake day - fail or S event? Either way - it's not green....

B - mango/toast/honey
L - goats cheese salad sandwich with red onion chutney/yogurt/fruit
D - pasta and sauce/pancakes/followed by some chocolate :oops:

If I'd just had the pancakes I would have called it an S event - the chocolate made it a fail.

Exercise - 45 minute spinning class (hardcore!)

Wednesday 146.2lbs
53 years old
Average weight loss:
May 18 - 2.45lbs

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:49 am

Wednesday - success
B - fruit/toast and honey
D - spag bol
53 years old
Average weight loss:
May 18 - 2.45lbs

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:20 pm

Thursday and Friday both successes. Spinning class Friday, yoga today.
Moderate S day so far - snack of a couple of biscuits with a cup of tea this afternoon.
53 years old
Average weight loss:
May 18 - 2.45lbs

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:28 pm

Monday -success
Tuesday/Wednesday - fails.
Not well - a struggle to keep going.
53 years old
Average weight loss:
May 18 - 2.45lbs

funfuture

Post by funfuture » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:13 am

Hang in there IDK. Don't drop the ball now (take it from me!). Think about the options if you aren't on NoS - there just aren't many sane ones. And you don't want to waste all the hard work you have already put in. You're on track, your mind/body is just rebelling a bit.
Fun

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:03 am

Thanks Fun - but the rest of the week was a massive failure. Need to pick myself up and start again.

Just read Reinhard's new podcast - it is relevant for me on so many levels and is making me rethink my approach to No S.
53 years old
Average weight loss:
May 18 - 2.45lbs

funfuture

Post by funfuture » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:14 pm

Have a look at the recent testimonials - especially the "anonymous dad" one. :D

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:12 am

Posted on 12 Feb:
So I am making a commitment to follow this plan consistently for the next 12 months. I am aiming to firmly establish No S habits, lose the excess weight I have ( about 17lbs - not as much as some people, I know, but I am only 5'2 and have a small frame). I will post every day and be honest about my slip-ups (I have a tendency to not post when I fail ).
:roll: It's a pattern. As soon as I make a grand commitment I fail big time. Mmmm - might be a lesson to learn in that....

3 June - Still feeling overwhelmed at work, now weigh more than I've ever weighed in my life, have mild, but constant, neck and foot pain (think it's beginning of arthritis) and am fed up with myself.

Babysteps, babysteps, one day at a time. Idon'tknow's hundredth time lucky :roll:
53 years old
Average weight loss:
May 18 - 2.45lbs

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:33 am

I know what you mean about making those grand committments - I've done it many times and failed every one! Black and white thinking and perfectionism are such insidious sabotagers!

I think what is helping me this time is taking it day by day and just working on getting the habit structure down, and not beating myself up too much when I fail (which I do a lot). As well as the support on these boards! :D

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:50 am

Thanks for your support Amy. You are absolutely right - the P word needs eliminating from my life in so many areas.

Jubilee holiday here yesterday (Monday) and we had a family barbecue. I only ate 2 meals yesterday and contained the sweet stuff into a dessert and no more. More to drink than I would have normally, though - I cannot resist a Kir Royale!

Tuesday 150.4lbs
53 years old
Average weight loss:
May 18 - 2.45lbs

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:47 am

Tuesday officially a fail. Not a hopeless fail, a considered, contained fail. The girls were practising 'mocktails' for an up and coming birthday party and needed taste testers. This necessitated sips of various concoctions - all very sweet. I did feel a bit sick towards the end.... especially as I rarely drink sweet things. Still, I only took small sips and it was a good family activity which we all enjoyed. Had a larger dinner than I needed - but all on one plate so no fail there.
53 years old
Average weight loss:
May 18 - 2.45lbs

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:38 pm

Wednesday a success. Thursday a success. Probably too much too eat on both days but within the rules.

Friday will be trickier - going to see my dad. I will try and stick to the rules but might do the 'S day slide'....
53 years old
Average weight loss:
May 18 - 2.45lbs

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:28 am

Friday - started the S days early with afternoon tea, so will finish them at 4pm on Sunday. I know it's not strictly vanilla, but it prevents another red day and brings some sanity and control to the weekend.
53 years old
Average weight loss:
May 18 - 2.45lbs

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:14 am

11 stone 1 lb. The heaviest I've ever been. I feel ill from all the rubbish I'm eating, I'm out of breath walking upstairs, and my clothes don't fit. I'm eating what I want but I'm not happy.

Why, when I have the solution right here, do I insist on self-destructive eating? Why do I make excuses - I need this..., I can't refuse that..., just today and then I'll start again....

NO MORE!

Today will be a success. There will be struggles - meeting with my team (cakes), end of term so food everywhere, staying late at work for concert, but I have done this before and been successful. I will re-find those good habits and post a success here this evening.

Wish me luck and strength :D
53 years old
Average weight loss:
May 18 - 2.45lbs

TUK

Post by TUK » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:32 am

Luck, strength and success ! Gogogo!

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:21 pm

Thank you TUK :D
Day 1 of the restart was a success. I ate:
fruit and yogurt for breakfast
sandwich/fruit/cereal bar for lunch
McDonalds for dinner :oops: . Wouldn't normally do this but had to stay late at work and the options were limited.

I resisted - 3 (!) cakes which were left on my desk during the day, Cakes, crisps and biscuits in a meeting, chocolates after dinner.

Day 2 (Weds) Weight: 11st 3/4 lb

Breakfast - fruit and yogurt
Lunch - Sandwich/cereal bar
Dinner - tuna steak, mash, beans

Not as much temptation today...
53 years old
Average weight loss:
May 18 - 2.45lbs

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:58 pm

Thurs 11st 2 1/2
Fail
Too much last day of term temptation....

Friday 11st 2 3/4

Success and then the S day slide.
Last edited by idontknow on Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
53 years old
Average weight loss:
May 18 - 2.45lbs

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:35 pm

Monday 11st 1/2lb

A moderate Saturday. Not so moderate Sunday.

Monday - success so far.

The first proper day of the summer holidays. The sun is shining and I'm in the garden - lovely!

However... I am worried about my eldest daughter. She has had a rough year - death of a close friend, exams, problems with her knees, splitting up with long-term boyfriend, relationships with some of her peer group have broken down...

Her mood has lifted recently, but she has started to put on weight. And I've noticed that she is eating constantly - and often eating the wrong things. Her weight is not yet a big issue - and if she could exercise regularly it wouldn't be - but I can see that her eating habits could become an issue for the rest of her life. This is a massive motivator for me to show her that moderate eating is the way forward. I have succeeded in the past and I must do so again. I can't bear for her to battle with her weight and her eating habits all her life. We are very close and if I can show her a way forward she will follow. So no more excuses.
53 years old
Average weight loss:
May 18 - 2.45lbs

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:53 pm

Tuesday success
Wednesday fail. A controlled fail - but still a fail. What to learn? A more substantial lunch would have helped and then staying strong in the face of temptation.
53 years old
Average weight loss:
May 18 - 2.45lbs