debs 2011 check in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

gratefuldeb67

debs 2011 check in

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:41 pm

today's gone well so far and i just came back from a walk.. so i have a started the week with a green day for exercise :)
feels good!
i'm not sure if i'll check in daily or weekly.. i decided to let my old check in thread sail off into the sunset, and start fresh.
i weighed myself saturday and my current weight is 249 lbs..
i hope that i can get down to 200 by this time next year. it would take a lot of work, but i think it's possible. that's my most ambitious weight loss goal, but i would be still be happy if i lost 20 or 30 lbs.
i'm going to really just try to be "comically strict" (thanks reinhard :) ) about the rules and sticking to them even when i am stressed or down.
i'm really feeling happy i decided to restart officially. i already feel bolstered by this decision.

have a good week all.
debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:54 pm

yesterday was a success!!! :D

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:13 pm

Nice work, Deb!

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:39 pm

Glad your back for another try.
Gold star for your success!!!!
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139
Willingness without action is fantasy

Too solid flesh

Post by Too solid flesh » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:28 pm

Congratulations, Deb, and welcome back.
Be kind, for everybody you meet is fighting a hard battle.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:39 am

thank you reinhard, snapdragon and toosolid :D
today is my second success of the week!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:23 am

That's how streaks start.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

tobiasmom

hey

Post by tobiasmom » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:58 pm

I, too, am back on the horse again! Great job on the successes! They will start to string together nicely.......

Sweetness
Location: Fall and winters in Cuernavaca, Morelos Mexico and summers in St Paul, Minnesota

Post by Sweetness » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:46 pm

Good for you, a fresh start is great, you can do it! Warm smiles from sunny Mexico! 8)
Patty

Anxiety in a person's heart weighs him down, but an encouraging word brings him joy. (Proverbs 12:25 NET)
I'm a glutton for encouragement.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:42 pm

thanks oohlala, tobiasmom and sweetness!! hugs :)

well the last two days of the week, were sketchy..
i took an s day on thursday, because i had a very painful first day of my period and nearly no sleep at night before, since i had no ibuprofen in the house and my infamous first day cramps started at about 3 am and went on for 2 hours straight till i could fall asleep.. so i just gave myself that day off.
friday, i could have counted as an s day, but really, i wasn't too bad and didn't want to abuse the "sick day equals s day" rule.. i had actually had a pretty decent day till dinner, and just over ate.. had seconds, so it was definitely a "red"... i did a little light walking.. extremely short distance, two and from the supermarket which is only a few blocks away, but since my prerequisite for success on exercise is only to achieve, a minimum of 15 minutes a day, i counted it a success, as i was walking to the store, and inside the store and it added up to that. i was still really tired from my period, so i gave myself a "green" also, because i wanted to pat myself on the back for "carving in" the time and not giving in to being lazy and driving.. i know that sounds really silly now, as i'm reading this, since the store is only a few blocks away. but i've often driven that distance when too tired or demotivated.. i'm going to try to take as many opportunities to walk instead of drive as possible now.
anyway, not super exciting info here, but i'm trying to keep track of my habits as well as my thinking about it. if i look at the habitcal later, and see "yellow" and "red" i really want to remember why i have those marked.
i forget what reinhard called this.. oh yes, negative tracking.. only posting about stuff when it's about failures.. it's actually a great idea as it makes you look at the event and be honest about it. that's the first step in making a change for the better, so despite the connotations of the word "negative" is actually quite a positive tool. thanks reinhard :)
i'm feeling much better today, now that the worst of my period symptoms have died down, and i have ibuprofen to tackle any more that come up, so i'm certain the rest of the week will be great!
i plan on weighing myself next friday.

have a nice weekend all :)
debs

determined

Post by determined » Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:01 pm

Walking to the store when you're not feeling 100% is definitely a success!

It's nice to have you back.....hugs...janie
"Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day."
Winnie the Pooh

Sweetness
Location: Fall and winters in Cuernavaca, Morelos Mexico and summers in St Paul, Minnesota

Post by Sweetness » Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:37 pm

I agree, not silly at all to count walking to the store a success.
You need a hug. Hugs to you. :wink:
Patty

Anxiety in a person's heart weighs him down, but an encouraging word brings him joy. (Proverbs 12:25 NET)

~hf

Post by ~hf » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:58 am

Nice to see you here and to see you doing well. I can totally relate on the walking thing. My son goes to preschool about a block and a half away and I usually drive him there. It's not even city blocks but in all only about 10-12 houses away. I justify driving because I have to cross the street twice and turn a corner, sheesh, so embarrassing when I post it here and read it in black and white. Well, anyway, I made a habitcal for walking to everything within a 15 minute walk.

Have a great, green day! ;-D
Heidi
SW 236.4
10/26/11 restart date
1st goal 21 day club !accomplished! 11/24/11
2nd goal 10% loss
3rd goal...????

Pangelsue2

Post by Pangelsue2 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:55 pm

Welcome back, Deb and best of luck.
I'm baaaack.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:12 am

thanks patty, heidi and sue :)

just a quick update.. i had a very sketchy week. i really didn't eat too much, but several failures, because of disorganised eating.. there were a few times when i waited to eat a meal far too long, and then ended up having seconds.. one time i ate in the middle of the night, which is something i really have had a problem with for years.. but the other days were great. so i am just trying to stay positive. i weighed myself and i might have lost half a pound, but it's really hard to tell with the scale my mom has.. because it's one that can deviate about a pound or two each time i step on it.
but i know i haven't gained. so that's a positive.
i have to get myself to exercise though. i had three failures this week. all of them due to not resting enough at night and then being tired the next day, and also procrastination. i would say "i'll go for a walk later" and then later never came cos i got involved with some other task.
so i am going to attempt to do my exercise in the morning after coffee.
have a good week guys and thanks again for the support.
deb xx

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:00 pm

quick update: i weighed and measured, after several very good days of NoS (but not much still on the exercise front till today) and i am down a pound and, more importantly, i am down half an inch from my waist.
it doesn't sound like much, but i know in time, if i stick to this, it will add up.
i felt like i was less "bloated" the other day and just thought i'd measure, even though it was only mid week.. it's nice to see that i'm going down in size! :)
it definitely makes me feel more determined to stick with what i'm doing.

determined

Post by determined » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:52 am

Deb....Well done! I know it's so hard to be starting this adventure again, I truly believe this time will be terrific for you.....

Hugs!
janie
Winnie the Pooh

gk

Post by gk » Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:57 pm

gratefuldeb67 wrote:quick update: i weighed and measured, after several very good days of NoS (but not much still on the exercise front till today) and i am down a pound and, more importantly, i am down half an inch from my waist.
it doesn't sound like much, but i know in time, if i stick to this, it will add up.
i felt like i was less "bloated" the other day and just thought i'd measure, even though it was only mid week.. it's nice to see that i'm going down in size! :)
it definitely makes me feel more determined to stick with what i'm doing.
Great job! I notice when I have many green days in a row (which sadly doesn't happen that often), I feel much less "bloated" and more comfortable. It really does make a difference, doesn't it? Keep it up - you're doing great! :)
SW (as of 3/25/13): 172 lbs.
CW: 171 lbs.

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:04 pm

You can do this, it takes a while to get back into habit, but you'll get there! Half an inch is definitely the right direction! celebrate small successes!
8)
Patty

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:36 pm

thanks guys :)

well i'm just quickly posting that yesterday i had a total binge episode. i completely pissed off at myself this morning for letting it happen.
just polished off an entire bag (not individual serving size) of chips.
aside from that, i had a good day but i let myself wait dinner till way too late.

anyway, i just had to document it. i am determined not to let that happen again for a very long time.

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:13 am

Ouch, mark it and move on. Monday is a new start!
Patty

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:30 am

thanks patty :)

determined

Post by determined » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:38 am

Deb,

Chips can be evil, can't they! I swear they call my name sometimes!!! But it's Monday, and I hope the week is wonderful for you.....

Hugs...janie
Winnie the Pooh

gk

Post by gk » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:50 am

Deb -

You're not alone - I polished off a bag of Reese's Peanut Butter cups this weekend (10 times worse than chips, in my opinion). :? :)

It was good that you noted why it happened (waited too long for dinner) to avoid it in the future. Mark it and move on - Monday is a fresh week.

Chin up - you can do this!! :)

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:49 pm

it happened again :(
another bag of chips.. i didn't eat all of them, but i had at least four servings and ate them in the middle of the night.
i don't know why i think i'll be able to handle having so many in the house?
from now on large bags of chips are banned. only single servings are allowed as i obviously have a problem with binging on them.
i'm sure it's purely out of stress and frustration, not even hunger.
i hope i can turn around my failure streak on eating and exercise this month, to a winning streak soon. i am really disappointing myself.
i know i can do better! :)
thanks gk and everyone who's posted here. i really appreciate your feedback and support.
have a nice thanksgiving all :)
deb x

determined

Post by determined » Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:20 pm

I've said it before, but it's true that chips are ridiculously evil. Yummy, but incredibly evil and sneaky...and mean. I wish there was a brand of chips I hated and my family liked so I would never be tempted by them.

I'm sorry you're struggling. Next time those nasty chips call your name imagine yourself just stomping on the bag until they are crushed into itty-bitty powder-like pieces. Actually, I might actually DO that one of these days. It would serve them right. They've ruined MY day more than once....I really would enjoy murdering a bag of chips just because they are there....

Hang in there....you'll win this....you really will.

janie
Winnie the Pooh

Okaybear

Post by Okaybear » Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:54 pm

I have told people time and again...give me a can of Pringles, and I will hand you back an EMPTY can of Pringles. I have a rough time controlling myself around chips, too.

I think that's a great idea to have single-serve packs of chips in the house if they're a trigger for you. But more to the point, I think you're capable of picking yourself up, dusting yourself off, and moving on. Don't beat yourself up too much about it.

determined

Post by determined » Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:57 pm

Okaybear wrote:I have told people time and again...give me a can of Pringles, and I will hand you back an EMPTY can of Pringles.
Me too! Maybe they should sell them empty...that would be the only way I could buy a can of them and not eat the whole pile!

janie
Winnie the Pooh

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:29 am

That's a very good decision to only have single serving size chips in your house. Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving!! 8)
Patty

gk

Post by gk » Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:55 am

Sweetness wrote:That's a very good decision to only have single serving size chips in your house.
Unless, of course, you're like me......I just then choose to eat 8 single servings in one sitting. :lol:

Hang in there - you'll beat this. I just know it. :wink:

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:31 pm

When I was on a diet a few years ago- no sugar, no chips, hardly any carbs. They told us to get all the sugar and unhealthy snacks out of the house. Well my two sons were maybe 19 and 20 at the time so I didn't want to do that to them, but what I did was to put all that stuff in one cupboard that was off limits to me. Then I stopped buying that stuff, except for breakfast cereal which didn't tempt me. Any more they had to buy their own. It worked! Not that I wasn't tempted. But I had my support group, and I had to write down everything I ate.

No S is a lot easier. You CAN have chips at your meals as long as they fit on your plate. But if a food is that big a trigger for you, get it out of the house!! your family can live without chips or they can buy their own and hide them. Or just buy them on the weekend, then tell your hubby if he loves you he will hide them on Sunday night. 8)
Patty

Pangelsue2

Post by Pangelsue2 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:29 pm

I agree chips are evil but it sounds like you are having a struggle with scheduling and stress. It might be helpful to have the occasional post here about what is going on in your life and how you are dealing with it. People here are very good at suggesting ways to overcome stress issues. We don't eat in a vacuum. We all use food emotionally and yet we mostly deny that relationship and endow the foods we eat with magical powers. I agree that chips are evil and do actually have the power of speech sometimes, but we eat them when we know they are ruining our lives and hopes. They don't have the power to jump in our mouths. I agree with determined who suggested stomping on a bag of chips while realizing how many dreams they cost us. Many of us have anger issues about the foods that are destroying our lives. Maybe if we all did something physical to express that anger, it would help to establish who is boss. I, personally, am still struggling so I am by no means telling you what to do. Pot--kettle--black, if you know what I mean but the people who responded here had some good thoughts. I have only one suggestion. On this diet we can have chips. OK. We should keep it to 1 serving. OK. We need exercise. OK. Buy the one serving bags one at a time and buy them at a store you have to walk to. It will help you decide how much you really want them.

We are spiritual beings on a physical journey. That wonderful soul/spirit is moving around in a physical body that is on loan to us. The healthier that body stays, the better the spiritual journey can be.

Deb, you were the inspirational person who brought me back here. I want you to know that because I think you have stopped believing in your own spiritual powers. Please stop worrying about the outer self and the reasons you eat and look inward for the perfect spiritual being we all see. That person can do anything. I promise. It won't be an easy journey, but it will be awesome.
I'm baaaack.

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:18 pm

You go girl! Is starting with a new thread helping? I was thinking of doing the same thing as kind of fresh start. Best of luck!
I guess this doesn't work unless you actually do it.
Please pray for me

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:08 pm

hi all, yes rene, i like having a new thread. i had so many gaps in being here over the past three years, and especially last year when i was sick for 9 months.. i just decided it would be a nice symbolic way of starting fresh for me this time. it's been very nice having people write on here and give support. i truly appreciate it :)

sue, thanks for caring. i'm glad that somehow i inspired you a while back. i hope i can inspire myself sometime soon!! lol :)
no i haven't forgotten my spiritual "power" it's just a little worn down lately.. i have had a lot of emotional issues to handle over the last year and a half. my own illness last year, which lasted 9 months, and this year one of my dearest friends was diagnosed with cancer and it's definitely taking a lot of my attention.
i'm not particularly angry with food and have never been, but yes it's good to talk about stress issues rather than lean on food to solve them. so i definitely appreciate having the board here to report to and share with.
i just know that if i decide to have a huge bag of chips, and plow through them like that, binging even in the night time, it's purely stress related, and not hunger in any way.
the plan in future is not to have several single servings, as i would just eat them all, but to allow myself one single serving bag of chips.. once in a while. i'm only banning the huge bags of them.

not much to report. i had a successful day yesterday, so that was nice to start the week. i've got a bit of pms now, and just a little drained as a result, but plan on having a good week!
have a nice day everyone :)

Pangelsue2

Post by Pangelsue2 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:56 pm

I can totally identify with the PMS thing. When I was younger, it consumed a good part of my life. Really sucks. I was always either heading into PMS or recovering from it. That doesn't even cover the periods themselves which were horrendous. Sympathy and hugs go out to you.
I can also identify with the being sick for so long. This last year has been the worst of my life and I think I am slowly getting back on my feet but it really does a number on you. I am reading a couple of inspirational books that are helping some days. They are: You Can't Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought and Wayne Dyer's Real Magic. Both are giving me hope and helping me dig out of the pit I was living in for quite some time. I wish you the best of luck on your new journey here. I know you can do it because I witnessed you doing it once before. 8)
I'm baaaack.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:14 pm

thanks sue! i hope this year is a much better year for you.
i like wayne dyer. thanks for the suggestions and thanks for your encouragement :)
have a good week.
debs

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:11 pm

Glad you are hanging in there, Deb!

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:11 pm

thanks anne :)

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:05 am

You can do it and you are well on your way! 8)
Patty

gk

Post by gk » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:53 am

Hope all is going well with you! :)

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:58 am

gk wrote:Hope all is going well with you! :)
thank you gk and sweetness.

i had a few big personal developments/changes in the past month, and i've been a bit distracted from posting here, but i've been still keeping track with habit cal.. physically, it was a bit of a rough month. me and my son had several weeks of being sick with strep throat and also just some flu bug.. but all's better finally now.. this months habit cal isn't too full of green, but i'm back in the saddle again, and i have had three days of walking in a row as well and am making that a priority.
my last visit at the doctor was while i was sick and it was pretty upsetting as for the first time in my life, my blood pressure was in the low end of "hyper tension" range.. i have never had high blood pressure. i'll be going back in january for him to check it again. i'm sure it's a combination of the stresses i had mentioned here and especially my weight just being high lately and lack of exercise.
so i am truly making the walking a priority now that i'm over the strep and flu. and also watching that i don't eat loads of salty processed stuff.
hopefully it will return to normal range again soon, if it hasn't already.
more updates soon.

8) debs x

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:02 pm

Deb,
Sorry you were sick and glad you're better! Merry Christmas! I'm sure your BP will be fine when you go back in.
Patty

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:27 am

thanks sweetness :)
i hope you had a great christmas!
deb x

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:14 pm

just bumping my thread up the page so it doesn't get completely lost..
i've had a very nebulous month.. not much success and a lot of iffy "green" days which i somewhat guessed at, after the fact... the only thing about my habit cal's that is really accurate is my exercise calendar. i only marked green days when i went out and consciously took a walk, or did yoga at home..
this nebulous stuff is stopping abruptly this week.
i have much faith that as long as i really adhere to it, things will go well.
i trifled with some dangerous thoughts this month like trying to cut out lots of carbs, and guess what... it is a waste of energy.. i know i will not do it, and don't want to do it.. so... even if it takes me longer to lose the weight, i am committed to sticking with NoS.. i know it will work! (if i had only stuck with it since i joined in 2005 i would be so thin by now.. i wish i had just stuck to it...)
so here's to a great week of ultra strict green-ness!! :mrgreen:
Last edited by gratefuldeb67 on Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:06 am

Here's to a green week for you! :mrgreen:
Patty

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:13 am

thank you patty :wink:

gk

Post by gk » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:42 pm

Hope you're having a green week. Hang in there - you can do it!! :)

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:09 pm

gk wrote:Hope you're having a green week. Hang in there - you can do it!! :)
hi gk and sweetness!
i am doing well so far.. i really feel motivated and committed.
i didn't exercise yesterday but other than that, it's been green all the way!!
i know it's only wed but this feels really great to be on track :D
thank you both very much for the encouragement!
hope you are having a great week too :wink:

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:19 pm

Good for you!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Patty

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:12 pm

thanks a lot sweetness!! ;)

so i had a great morning today and danced non stop for 40 minutes to some really up beat music.. i was soaked in sweat after and felt so envigorated!
and then i did 100 crunches with my ab roller thingy..

i'm happy to say i dropped 1.6 lbs so far this week!!
it may just have been from all the dancing today.. i was really moving :D

i will keep this up as it was so fun!!! and if i lose this much weight, or thereabouts, each week, then that will amount to a big loss at the end of the year!!

have a nice day :)

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:48 pm

so this week has been really successful.. not perfect, but i have 4 green days for NoS, and 3 green days for exercise..
i also have been really a little bit broke, so i haven't been able to afford more than enough food for some very basic meals.. sufficient, but i am definitely waking every day, with my tummy grumbling.. a good thing :)

and i'm very pleased to announce i have lost 2.6 lbs this week!!! :D

i'm feeling really motivated to keep this up!!
thanks for all the support and encouragement :wink:
have a great week all!
debs

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:41 am

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Yay for you on all the green!
Patty

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:51 am

thank you patty :D

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:59 pm

i'm so glad that i'm trying to focus on my habits and not just weight loss alone.. today is one of those days..
i had such a great week and even the weekend was great.
and as i wrote on sunday, i lost 2.6 lbs in about four or five days..
but, today i weighed and *every* pound was back on!!!! :shock:
i can't lie...
i was so mad!!!!! :evil:
but then i remembered what i ate yesterday..
i did not binge, i didn't even have any snacks or sweets yesterday, even though it was an S day, though now i think of it, i did have two glasses of chocolate milk for my treat, so yes i did have a very moderate treat.
the thing which, i think triggered my gain, was salt...
over the course of the day sunday, i ate some rotisserie barbecued chicken, some lentil soup, made from a dried soup package and some canned vegetable broth, and also, i had about 1/2 cup of some home made sauerkraut... all of these definitely have a good amount of sodium (especially the chicken... i felt very thirsty after eating it...)
anyway, i can't lie.. i was really upset when i saw that my whole weeks weight loss had completely reversed in only one day, but then i remembered about all those salty foods.. i have a very very bad tendency to hold water weight when i eat anything semi salty..
it's very annoying :(
but i reminded myself multiple times, that i had a great week on habit and that i will have some days like this where my weight will fluctuate and to just put my blinders on, and to keep focusing on whether i was or wasn't on habit.. i know that over time, this is what will bring me success.
so i managed to talk myself out of my upset mood and put my(imaginary)NoS cheerleader outfit back on, and just went and did my exercise for the morning.. i danced for about 30 minutes non stop!!
so i now have yet *another* green day for exercise on my Habit Cal!!
and as for the salt, i made myself about a quart of lemonade, with fresh lemon and sweetened only with stevia... and i think (since i am peeing all morning haha) that the water weight will go away within a day or so.. i hope!!
i have decided i will be weighing myself daily, so i just have to brace myself for the mental ups and downs that brings..
but i believe that focusing on the habits, will keep things in perspective for me and hopefully keep me from getting psyched out if i gain.
i'll report back soon.
have a nice day friends!
8) debs

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:46 pm

I never weigh after an S day, I know I gain weight on the weekends. Don't take that number seriously! Weigh in on Friday or Saturday. :roll:
Patty

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:01 am

i don't believe it had to do with the fact that it was an S day... i really only had 2 glasses of chocolate milk as my treat for the whole weekend...
but the salt definitely..
i want to weigh daily, not weekly, so i will just get used to the fluctuations.
i'm pretty sure i already dropped all the weight already, as i've been going to the bathroom non stop all day!! haha
i drank about 9 cups of water and lemon today..
thanks patty! :wink:

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:24 am

Yes, the salt will do it! You are doing great! keep it up! 8)
Patty

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:35 am

thanks patty! :wink:
hugs
deb x

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:16 pm

yesterday i had a success for exercise, but i failed on NoS because i waited so long to eat dinner, i was so hungry and i ended up eating seconds on soup.. it was a full second serving, not even a little one, so i'm marking it as a red day.
over all, i had the same amount of food as i would have if i spread it out to three meals, but i'd rather be really serious about marking my NoS Habit Cal accurately (and being honest with myself) than fudge around and say it was "three meals"....
and actually.. about 20 mins after i finished that food.. i felt unpleasantly over stuffed... so... i wish i had waited an extra 15 mins to decide if i really needed the second serving anyway.. my body would probably have said it wasn't necessary.
i'm not going to fudge around this time with NoS.. it's either green or red.. simple!! :wink:

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:40 pm

so a quick update before the weekend...
since monday, i have been very good, with one exception.. yesterday i had a glazed donut.. i was really dying for one.. maybe because i am now a little under the weather with a minor virus and my body was just craving a pick me up? but i actually marked it as a "red" on my habit cal, because at the time of the infraction, i wasn't fully blown "sick" and i was consciously deciding to break the rules.. so, again like on tuesday, when i over indulged in seconds on soup, i would prefer to be honest with myself and not pretend i had it because it was an S day... i would rather say i chose to have it, and therefore, i failed on NoS because donuts are *definitely* an S!!
i don't feel like a failure though.. i am proud of myself for being honest.
and, i have managed to lose most of the weight i had previously regained due to the salt, on monday.
so as of this morning, my weight is 250.2 (down from 252.6)
yay me!!!!! :mrgreen:
i am a little sick today, with a headache and general malaise and fatigue, so i'll be resting, and will take today as an S day for exercise, but i am so happy i lost weight and i don't want to gain it back.. so i will still be keeping S treats for the weekend.

gk

Post by gk » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:07 pm

So happy for you! Great job! Hope you feel better soon. :)

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:15 pm

Get well soon, have a great weekend!
Patty

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:22 pm

Glad to see you doing so well, Deb. You were one of the first to welcome me here and I have so enjoyed reading your posts.

Keep up the good work, :wink:
Berry

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:53 am

thank you gk, patty and berry!! i really appreciate your support!! :wink:
i still have the cold but it's not as bad.. so i'm going to try to make this week a regular NoS week and get back to some exercise, even if it's very light stuff.. i want to see *green*!!! :mrgreen:
have a great day and week guys! :)
debs x

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:36 pm

well yesterday i had a "green" for exercise but it was a failure for NoS..
i am glad that's over!!
so today's a new and better day :wink:

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:48 am

Sounds like my day yesterday... Greener day today! Lets go for 3 more green days this week! :mrgreen:
Patty

Pangelsue2

Post by Pangelsue2 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:36 pm

Good to hear from you again. I wish you the best of luck on this new journey.
I'm baaaack.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:14 pm

thanks you patty and sue :wink:
been really off track the last week, but today is a new day.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:41 pm

doing my exercise today felt great!
i danced for 15 mins and then i did 100 crunches and some reclining "bicycling" on the floor (my legs going like i was bicycling..)
i'm psyched to have a great rest of the week! :wink:

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:34 pm

had a major success last night.. i was great during the day and did exercise, but by late evening, just before going to bed, i had several very strong urges to have "something" to eat.. i was not extremely hungry but it was that feeling like "i could have something now..."
i actually found myself taking on two different voices in my head and i "put myself in my place" haha saying "you keep telling yourself you want to lose weight, and that your so unhappy being this big.. you will never lose the weight if you eat at night! so just get some water instead and go to bed!"
i actually had to do this two times before i went to sleep. it really wasn't easy. but i am so pleased that i was able to give myself a little pep talk like that, and this morning i'm down a little bit in weight too.
it's such a simple equation.. don't eat at night and drink water instead = lose weight.. but so hard to actually do sometimes. so i'm going to continue to take this approach for as long as it takes, to wrestle the impulse to eat anything after dinner time.
i'm also staying focused on daily exercise and have lately been doing dancing and crunches each morning.
it's still a little too cold for my taste to go out for long walks, but soon enough when the temps rise again, i will be doing that too.
so unfortunately, my weight went up in the past few weeks due to some failure days and also just some bad food choices, so, just stating for the record so i have some kind of reference for the future, i'm now at 255 lbs
but i feel as long as i continue to use that strategy, to talk myself out of eating "when i could" (but don't need to!) and as long as i do exercise every day, i'll lose weight. i'll be very pleased if i can lose 2 lbs a week. that's what i really am hoping for, and i'm pretty certain it's doable.

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:46 am

Good job on the self cheerleading! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8)
Patty

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:48 am

thanks patty ;)

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:23 am

Permasnacking in the evening was huge for me pre No S. I believed that I slept better on a full stomach. Now if I am truly hungry at bedtime, I go ahead and have a glass of milk. It takes care of the hunger and helps me sleep. I do not do this often, maybe once or twice a month.
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:55 pm

Debs: GREAT JOB! :D :D

I, too, have the strongest cravings at night (worse before I started No S!) and I'd often find it difficult not to cave in and most of the time, have an all out binge.... but that is another story!

Very Well Done!! :D
No S-er since December 2009
Streamlined S Days: 6/25/12
SW: 170 /CW: 127
Weight loss to date: 43 lbs

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:11 pm

thanks rjean and NoS rocks! ;)
yes actually, i'm using milk and once in a while juice, if i can't get by with just drinking water to get thru the night.

so funny.. i just came to mark my habit cal for yesterday.
and i had a success for both NoS and for exercise (usually i have one or the other but often i don't have both) and i found myself actually saying out loud.. "Yay me!!!"
it's such a simple accomplishment, but it still takes a lot of effort and is a "big thing" for me at this point.
have a nice weekend all!

8) deb

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:22 pm

i'm taking today as an s day for exercise because i have a virus and low fever.. i'm still going to try and stick to regular NoS for diet though.
i already had some treats over the weekend and don't feel the need for more. but i'm too exhausted to dance etc..
hope this goes away very soon.

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:37 am

Get well soon! 8)
Patty

funfuture

Post by funfuture » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:50 am

Yes, hope you're feeling better tomorrow!
fun
x

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:42 pm

well i've had a few weeks of yellow days... i'm up several pounds, unfortunately, too.. but i'm finally over my virus and my period is passed, so i'm hoping that this week will be back on track and i'm shooting for strict adherence to NoS and getting in exercise every day!
have a nice week all.. i'll report back on the weekend ;)
deb

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:05 am

It will feel great to be back to it.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:33 pm

thanks oolala ;)
i'll post how it's going in a few weeks.
have a nice day.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:37 pm

just bumping my thread back up.. i have had a pretty bad few weeks..
i got sick, again, but this time it's been for about 2 weeks.. i went on antibiotics but i think it was viral, so they didn't have much impact.
for about a week i was up all night coughing.. now i'm much better, but still very congested, but at least i'm sleeping at night..
needless to say, i have had a huge string of sick days for NoS and exercise..
this week i haven't been so bad, so i attempted to go back to tracking NoS days for diet, yet allowing myself to mark yellow days for exercise, because i'm still not well enough to do anything where i exert myself, since i am very congested and it's so hard to breathe.. i have very little energy.
i am feeling very cooped up, and also i am up more in weight as well, so i'm getting a little depressed.
but i know when i kick this virus completely, and start to exercise and walk, i'll start to lose weight again.
one good thing however.. i went back to have my blood pressure checked and, even though i'm up about 4 lbs, it's back to a normal range again (120/70) since last december, when it was in the mild hypertension range.. that's a big relief to me.
ok i hope to have some upbeat news sometime soon. i figured it's better to post something, than just let months go by without any update.
have a good weekend everyone.
deb

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:28 am

Hi Deb! So sorry to hear you have been sick! Thinking of you, hon and hope you get well soon. Take care, love Roxy xx

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:15 pm

thank you very much roxy, that's so nice of you to say.
it's going slow, but i am getting better.
monday even if i'm not 100 percent, i will resume light exercise.
have a nice weekend.
thanks again x

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:22 pm

Glad you're feeling better. It will be good to get out and move! I don't know about there but it's a good day for soup here in SoCal. I'll have some sympathetically for you, too.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:03 pm

thanks oolala! i really appreciate it :)
i managed to do yoga yesterday and today... i just took it slow and did "whatever" i felt up to...
it went nicely and i feel very encouraged to keep it up!
enjoy your sympathetic soup! lol :wink:
i might have to make some myself..
have a nice week.
deb x

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue May 01, 2012 1:06 pm

bumping my thread up.. things are going very well.. i don't want to give any updates yet though.. i don't want to fall into the trap i've had in the past where things go well, i post about it, and then i slack off..
i will say i have had 9 days on habit for both and exercise and diet and this is the best i've done in years.. (please don't let me jinx myself now)
anyway, i will update again at the end of may, with a report on habit and pounds lost (i've lost some already!)
i want to stay focused..
will report back in a month.
8) deb

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Tue May 01, 2012 3:17 pm

yay! way to go. so does it help you to post less?
that may help me. i think i think about it too much and get "too much in my head" but really, it's all so simple. 3 meals. done and done.
see you next month! good luck!

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue May 01, 2012 3:33 pm

hi liz, right now, i have shifted my attention and am focusing mainly on exercise now, and using habitcal. the diet aspect seems to be following, without a lot of problems as long as i do my exercise.. i don't want to "blow" the day, after having a great workout.. it makes me try much harder to stick to NoS and say no to temptations, because i don't want to ruin my good work on the exercise front..
good luck to you and thanks for the encouragement. :)
see you next month.
deb

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:54 pm

just a quick update to bump my thread up.
things are going very well!
i'm still averaging about 5-6 days a week of dancing, for usually about an hour each time with a 20 min cool down and stretch.
this has helped me incredibly with keeping on track with NoS.
since april 20 i'm down 8 lbs and 2 inches off my waistline, and an inch off my arms.
the most exciting thing is that i'm actually enjoying doing my exercise and look forward to doing it, even on my "bad" days.
i was thinking about it yesterday, and realised that this is the most consistent i've been with exercise in 14 years.
i'm pretty thrilled about that!
i'm updating daily on habitcal, but will check in here in another month or so.
have a nice week and month everyone!

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:02 pm

Congratulations, Deb! That's great news. "Enjoyment" and "consistency" are so important -- and it's hard to have the latter without the former.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:33 pm

Great to hear about the consistent dancing. Isn't that what we should be doing at night instead of TV? Too bad the culture doesn't support THAT. I'm doing more for a dance camp in about 2 weeks and it is fun! No loss of size for me. Habit first, results later, if ever. Just the increase in vitality is a boon. But I'm sure the loss of inches feels good for you. You deserve them!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:27 am

thank you reinhard and oohlala! :D

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:24 am

new update... i am still doing my dancing, about 6 days a week, for an hour, with stretching afterwards.. and really eating well and not "s'ing" too much..
i have lost 11 lbs in about 12 weeks and now am down 3 inches off my waist!
i'm very happy!
Last edited by gratefuldeb67 on Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gk

Post by gk » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:55 am

You are doing so great! What kind of dance do you do? Just turn the music on and free-style or certain routines? Sounds fun!

Keep up the great work - very inspiring! :)

mimi

Post by mimi » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:08 am

So glad to hear of your success, Deb - way to go! Dancing is great, isn't it?! I discovered Zumba last summer and have found it to be not only fun, but a great toning activity as well. I wish I had taken my bodily measurements when I started - I only have the numbers on the scale and, of course, how my clothing fits to go by.
Keep up your great work and continue to keep us posted!

Mimi :D
Discovered NoS: April 16, 2007
Restarted once again: July 14, 2011
Quitting is not an option...
If you start to slip, tie a knot and hang on!
Remember that good enough is... good enough.
Strive for progress, not perfection!

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:47 pm

You go girl!!!
I guess this doesn't work unless you actually do it.
Please pray for me

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:32 pm

thank you so much gk, mimi and reneew!
i really appreciate your comments and support! :D
yes i'm just freestyling around the room to different songs on youtube.
i have about 1 hour of tunes already picked out, but if i get bored of them, i mix them up and pick new ones as i go..
it's been great and even when i'm in a crappy mood, i still manage to do this because i know how much better i'll feel after i get started.
and i'm happy to say that since my last post i'm down *another* 2 lbs so i've lost 13 lbs total now!!!
yay!!!
will check in again in the next week or so..

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:41 pm

quick update to bump up my thread..
i am now down 15 lbs and 3 inches off my waist :)

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:23 am

Omigosh, debs! That is wonderful!

You are definitely inspiring me to take up dancing - who'd a guessed that it could be so effective? Especially right now when I haven't made time for my outdoor walking as much as I usually do. I've gotten a bit lazy and keep making excuses. It gets a bit boring - the old walkin - sometimes! Thanks for your marvellous updates! I shall have to go get my dancin shoes on! :) That's the great thing - you don't even need any special equipment or outfits - just put on the music and go! Well done, girl!!