Rea's Daily Check In

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Rea

Rea's Daily Check In

Post by Rea » Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:18 pm

So, first day starting back on the No S Diet (see the thread I started in the discussion forum, I'd post a link but I'm too lazy to go over there and open it). And as I predicted, it's afternoon, I'm dead tired (why does the baby wake up from her nap right after I manage to fall asleep?) and my mind is going "Chips. Have some chips. Just a few chips. It won't really hurt....chiiiiiips." So far I'm holding strong. If I can, I'll make myself a cuppa tea.
If you want to know exactly what I'm eating: Had 2 eggs and a bit of sausage for breakfast (with tea), then a small bowl of chili (it fit on the normal sized plate), some mac n' cheese (mixed with yogurt not milk), some brie, and some pummelo. Now I'm just waiting for dinner and hoping I'll pull through....

Rea

Post by Rea » Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:14 pm

Dinner went well. Homemade pizza (with Kale hidden in the sauce so my son gets some veggies--nack), side of chips (yay!) and an apple. Large full plate and it was delicious. I felt satisfied afterwards, for sure. But I have to say even after eating that, I wanted more chips. Usually I'm a sweets person, but damn, chips are a weak spot. I lasted until the baby woke up when I thought she was down for the night. Then I had some of the chips I had given my son to eat while watching a movie. Then I had some more. Then I had an ice cream sandwich (doh!).
Then I ended up going to bed because I realized that going to bed with thebaby would be the best way to get her back to sleep. So ice cream sandwich? Totally avoidable. Completely.
So things to do instead of eat when I'm annoyed/disappointed that the baby isn't asleep and I get no free time:
1) Give the baby to my husband!
2) take a bath or a shower.
3) Brush teeth
4) chew gum
5) Knit
6) write
7) Talk to my husband---I feel bad eating and talking in front of him since he's diabetic (II) and can't really eat what I'm eating.

So, enjoying this weekend--had 5 hours without kids today and got some much needed me time :) Hoping to do better on Monday and get back into the habit of no s-ing. I remember how it was when I did this 8 months straight through and how weird the thought of cheating became.

Rea

Post by Rea » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:24 pm

so yesterday...success! It was in no short part to being fully occupied by two kids with colds yesterday night wihich prevented me from having any of the sweets I so desperately wanted. So, yay! Green!

BeingGreen

Post by BeingGreen » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:26 am

Yay for your green!

Rea

Post by Rea » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:52 pm

Another green. This time the kids went down early and I really, really wanted more chips or something sweet. So hard. I knit instead and talked with my husband and made it through by getting ready for bed early :p It is really quite hard to change your habits and I am definitely in the habit of eating something sweet before bedtime. I'm really looking forward to this weekend, I have to say. And I just discovered that Christmas is on a weekend. Now I feel cheated out of an s day!

Rea

Post by Rea » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:07 am

green! The habit is coming back to me I think. Now I feel stupid for not knuckling down and doing this sooner 8) Two more days and then I'll enjoy myself!

Joy

Post by Joy » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:07 pm

Rea wrote: It is really quite hard to change your habits and I am definitely in the habit of eating something sweet before bedtime.
My problem time is right after I eat lunch. I never feel satisfied until I've had something sweet. I am planning to have a little coffee, yogurt, or fruit at the end of lunch to fight that urge for chocolate and cookies. Maybe some tea will help you since it's before bedtime?

Rea

Post by Rea » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:42 am

My problem time is right after I eat lunch. I never feel satisfied until I've had something sweet. I am planning to have a little coffee, yogurt, or fruit at the end of lunch to fight that urge for chocolate and cookies. Maybe some tea will help you since it's before bedtime?
Probably. I may have to go down that route tonight. I don't think I ate quite enough at dinner, I'm feeling hungry and thinking how nice a good ice cream cone would taste right now. Instead I'll shower and have some tea...hopefully that will work!
At any rate, I forgot to check in yesterday.
It was a success.
Today has been a success so far and I went ahead and marked it green to give me more motivation NOT to eat the ice cream!

BeingGreen

Post by BeingGreen » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:06 pm

Keep up the great work!

Rea

Post by Rea » Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:20 pm

Okay checking in again.
Had a good weekend :) Enjoyed myself thoroughly on Saturday, less so on Sunday (because I already ate everything sweet I wanted toe at on Saturday, but did you know you can roast marshmallows in a toaster oven and it's delicious? My son and I did that a lot this weekend :) ).
Yesterday was tough. I succeeded, but just barely. Ms. Baby took a late nap and then it took an act of god to get her to go to sleep. So I nearly caved. It's definitely true that when I can't get me-time, I compensate by giving myself sweets. So I went down to the basement and brought up a bag of chocolate chips because I like to eat them straight up out of a bowl when there's nothing else sweet available. and then I opened it and took some out to eat...and then I saw a small hole nibbled in the side of it...by a mouse.

Insert puke emoticon here.

So, I put them back. I'm going to have to examine that bag more thoroughly at a later date to see if it's been contaminated or what. Thanks, mouse. You saved me a red. I made tea instead.

After a restless night, my head throbs, I'm tired and today is very challenging. I'm drinking coke 0 for the caffeine. Tea just isn't cutting it, I'm afraid. Normally I don't drink diet soda. It's for my husband, who's diabetic. But I'm making an exception due to head throbbingness.

BeingGreen

Post by BeingGreen » Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:18 pm

Hang tough Rea! It is funny how the little things can save you a red sometimes--thank you Mr. Mouse :D

Rea

Post by Rea » Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:57 pm

So I failed yesterday/ Tried my best, but finally went for the chips. I'm just as tired today as I was yesterday inspite going to bed 30 min early. So I'm not optimistic. We'll see.

Rea

Post by Rea » Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:00 pm

had a successful day :) It was a really hard one, I was soo tempted all day long, but I managed to make it through. The tea saved me in the end. Now I'm baking christmas cookies (making dough today, baking tomorrow) and getting ready for Christmas weekend :)

Rea

Post by Rea » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:44 pm

I've been doing No S off and on again since the beginning of June with *some* success, but things keep happening and I keep falling off. I keep getting back on, which is good, but I'd like to have a better track record so I figured I'd start daily check ins again. I had a sneaking suspicion I already had a thread and lo and behold, here it is. Bumped for my pleasure :P

So last week was bad because my son broke his arm on Sunday, so I think I ate badly out of stress (didn't occur to me until Friday when I was sitting there wondering why I was eating so badly). I've been doing okay this week, but I always end up having one cheat a day, which obviously puts me in the red. Doh. So I'm going to get back strict vanilla. Here goes!

Hippy Dippy

Try again!

Post by Hippy Dippy » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:01 pm

Miss Rea!!!

Someone gave me a magnet, which I've put on the fridge, that says, "Failure is not falling down, but refusal to get up". I really like that. And don't we all love those movies where the underdog gets back up and kicks some serious butt?

So, you are the favored underdog, who really isn't an underdog, because you have the strength and determination to get back up and kick butt! And that makes you a winner.

My sage older brother also says: constant persistence. So what if you have some Red days? So what if I do? If two months from now those red days become fewer and farther between each one, we're making headway.

Though, I admit I am one impatient gal when it comes to weight-loss. :o

Thanks for sharing your struggles. We're all in this together.

Hippy Dippy
Moderation in all things...including moderation
Start: 205.4. Current 202.2 (-3.2 lbs)

Tessytwinkle

Post by Tessytwinkle » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:19 pm

Welcome back to this daily check in board Rea. You have had success before and will have again. As Hippy dippy says we're all in this together and we all have failure days. Stress is such a trigger for my bad eating not surprised you were eating after upset of your son breaking his arm!! Wishing you a good run of vanilla days interspersed with delightful S days. You can do this :)

Tessy

Rea

Post by Rea » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:28 am

Thanks--I always remember that thing about getting some failures under my belt :D Well, I've had plenty. Every time I get back on, I hope it will be my last time getting on! So lets hope this one is! yay! Today was my husband's birthday and I was exempt, but still did well with normal breakfast and lunch, went out to eat at a Brazilian Steakhouse and still feel really full, and had a piece of low carb fudge I made for my his bday. It was okay. Not eating anything more because holy crap, full.

Rea

Post by Rea » Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:01 am

A green day for today. This evening was a struggle, but hey I made it through. And now for the weekend.

Rea

Post by Rea » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:13 pm

I guess this is an almost daily check-in. Weekend was good. Then found a friend committed murder-suicide :cry: and it ended very badly. But hey I've been on track both today and yesterday. Too distracted to really think about cheating I guess.

Tessytwinkle

Post by Tessytwinkle » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:00 am

Hi there. So sorry you had such distressing news. That will really throw things off eating wise, yet you have stayed on course. Hold that thought. I hope your days get easier soon.
Tessy

Kittykat150

Post by Kittykat150 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:12 pm

Rea,
So sorry for you and your friend. Life puts a different perspective on eating issues sometimes, doesn't it? Be well.
Kat
"Never give up, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn." -Harriet Beecher Stowe

Rea

Post by Rea » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:18 am

two more good days--maybe this is more of a sporadic check in :)
To give an idea how my days usually go, here are the meals:
breakfast: omlette with kale, cheese and tomato
lunch: chicken salad thing with lettuce and some nuts and a pluot
dinner: ate out, basically sandwich with fries.

Not bad. Definitely getting back into the swing of how much I need to eat when I'm not pregnant or nursing :)

Rea

Post by Rea » Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:29 pm

Friday was another successful day. It's amazing how little I eat now. I feel genuinely hungry before meals and while I'm eating, around the time i finish I feel full :) No need for snacks. Hooray! Hoping next week will be just as awesome.

Now it's the weekend, and we had crepes for breakfast. Tomorrow we'll have pancakes. And I'm going to bake a cake with my son because he loves that.

Rea

Post by Rea » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:44 am

good day today again. I'm not even tempted any more to cheat. I have my meals and that's it. Having snacks/sweets (they tend to be the same thing :D) on the weekends seems like too much and I feel overly full. I'm glad that I've reached this period again. I was already commenting to myself how easy and natural it was starting to feel right before my son broke my arm and I got all stressed. So hopefully nothing like that happens again!

Rea

Post by Rea » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:51 pm

We celebrated my son's bday this weekend and there was left over cake. I was eyeing that cake after lunch and saying, nooo, no, don't have it, you'll have to mark the day red. And then I said, fine, I'll mark the day red AND have the cake. So it's red.
But I regret having the cake. Not really worth it :( I think I may have a gluten intolerance or something because since I started eating wheat again in May, I've had a runny nose, itchy eyes and my asthma is acting up. I didn't eat any for a week a couple weeks ago and when I had some in crepes on the weekend, stomach cramps and diarrhea followed shortly there after. And again later when I had some cake. No fun. And now I have some eczema popping up on my inner elbow again. So I guess I'll take that out of my diet for a while and see what happens. Maybe I'll be less bloated!

Tessytwinkle

Post by Tessytwinkle » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:34 am

Hi Rea, oh dear I know what you mean about having your cake and hating it :lol:
Food intolerance wise I have bad food allergies and find I am so much better if I stay off certain foods. It really sound like you might have a wheat problem. If you want to see for sure stay off all wheat for 2 weeks at least. It has to be out of your system for that long to see if it is a problem. Good luck with this.
Tessy

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:00 am

Sorry rea! Tomorrow will be better!
:twisted: SW: 210 lbs
CW: 172
GW:160

Kittykat150

Post by Kittykat150 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:58 am

Rea,
I feel your pain. I have had birthday cake celebrations all month. If August had a theme it would be "cake month" for me. Some were worth it, some were not. Out of the red and onward. That's all we can do. We are learning and unlearning. It takes time.
I feel like a toddler on wobbly legs here sometimes. But I would never yell at, or criticize, a toddler for falling down. I would smile and help her back up, right? Come on, you can do it!
This is something we are doing for ourselves for the rest of our lives.
Peace,
Kat :wink:
"Never give up, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn." -Harriet Beecher Stowe

Rea

Post by Rea » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:53 pm

Thanks Kittykat! I'm throwing the rest of the cake out today, no one is eating it. But I didn't have any yesterday, I wasn't even tempted. Blech.
Perfect day yesterday and today I've decided that I'm going to stop drinking diet soda. I don't need it. It's probably bad for me. It tastes like ass. The end. Plus it's getting cooler here so I can go back to my hot tea :)

clarebear

Post by clarebear » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:32 am

Hello Rea

I just remembered you saying you had the same goal as me in one of my posts so I just wanted to say hi and to keep going! :-D

your comment about diet drinks really made me laugh, especially the 'tastes like ass' bit haha

:D
Finally found a lifestyle change, not a diet!
Starting weight 167 lbs
Goal is to lose 20lbs in time for my wedding!