Scott W. Black's Check-In: 10th Time Is the Charm?

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

scottwblack

Scott W. Black's Check-In: 10th Time Is the Charm?

Post by scottwblack » Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:32 am

Over the past 5 years, I have attempted No S a number of times, but have always been lured away by other diets that promised fast(er) weight loss.

Some of them worked, most of them didn't. But no matter what, I always gained the weight back (and then some) when I went back to eating "normally."

This time around is going to be different. I'm less concerned with what the scale says than with building positive eating habits that will eventually allow me to eat the foods I like in amounts moderate enough to lose weight at a healthy rate.

In fact, for the first 21 days at least, my goal is not to lose weight, but to maintain it. If I lose, great, but my goal is to NOT GAIN ANYMORE.

That's about it for today, I think.

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:11 pm

I think it's goos to just establish the habit!!!!
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139
Willingness without action is fantasy

scottwblack

Post by scottwblack » Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:13 pm

snapdragon wrote:I think it's good to just establish the habit!!!!
I agree, snapdragon. That is the important thing: establishing the habits.

determined

Post by determined » Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:43 pm

Welcome back! I've done NoS off & on for years. This time around I am absolutely determined to make it work. I'm tired of reading about diets, hoping in diets, thinking about diets, debating diets...I just want to be healthy.

I hope this time around is successful in all ways...janie
"Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day."
Winnie the Pooh

scottwblack

Post by scottwblack » Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:20 pm

Yup, me, too. I've been overthinking things for far too long. Worrying about things like macronutrients when I should have just been worried about eating less. Time to start building those habits!

scottwblack

Post by scottwblack » Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:53 pm

Also, I am starting by eliminating just a single "S": snacking. Once I've managed to establish the no snacking habit (hopefully it will take around 21 days), I will move on to seconds and then sweets.

determined

Post by determined » Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:33 pm

I think a lot of people are very successful at tackling one habit at a time. Snacking has always been my downfall & eliminating them has made a big difference.

Go for it!!!

janie
"Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day."
Winnie the Pooh

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:35 pm

Nice to "meet" you!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:53 pm

How's it been going? I failed at No S for the first 15 months. (and had 40 years of ups and downs with other programs before that) It finally took hold two years ago, and even that has had its variances, but I feel good now. I really feel this is how I eat, though I can catch myself worrying about what I eat for lunch or something once a awhile. Then I remind myself I'm doing fine. I am not skinny, but am not feeling drawn to eat outside of Vanilla very much, and it's usually pretty easy to ignore it. I think the habits are really taking over. I know this sounds like a long time, but 2 years is actually the minimum time it's considered means the difference between relapse and not for those who have lost 30 pounds or more. And I am even losing again. Plus, I've actually been compliant about 80% of the time. That sure beats bingeing just about every day, as I used to, or going on a strict diet only to fall off and gain weight. I proudly say I have not done that at all the past few years.

Just keep fighting that voice that tells you to go ahead and have that bite or whatever between meals. Have coffee or anything else. Just don't chew! It really is worth it to stick to your guns.

I better quit, as I'm going to be posting a testimonial in the next week or so.

come back and surrender! You'll be glad, and you can always get stricter later.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)