Tips you didn't know you knew

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

SavvyV

Tips you didn't know you knew

Post by SavvyV » Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:49 pm

“First we form habits; then they form us. Conquer your bad habits or they will conquer you.â€â€œThe chief cause of failure and unhappiness is trading what we want most for what we want at the moment†“A moment on the lips, forever on the hips!â€Never discourage anyone who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.

Every single thing you do is 100% better than doing nothing at all.“I may not be all I should be, I might not be all I could be, but at least I am not what I was!â€â€œNOTHING tastes as good as being skinny feels!â€The feeling you get after a run is always better than the feeling you get sitting on the couch thinking about running.

“No matter what you do there will be critics.â€â€œThe only thing that separates the impossible from the possible is how much you want it. â€You are stronger than you think you are, you can do more than you think you can.It’s not the minutes spent at the table that puts on weight, it’s the seconds

I have to exercise early in the morning before my brain figures out what I’m doing.No one ever said it would be easy, they just said it would be worth it.“start every meal by eating the lowest calorie first, by the time you get to the good stuff you shouldn’t be able to finish it all.â€the 3 W’s, water, walking, and will-power

Failure is not Falling down, Failure is not getting back up againThe difference between try and triumph is just a little umph!Instead of giving myself reasons why I can’t, I give myself reasons why I can.Make the decision, then do something - no matter how small - toward accomplishing what you want.

Listen closely: the only time it’s too late to change yourself is when you’re dead. Until then, you’re simply making excuses or lying to yourself.If you didn’t need a pill to get fat, why would you need one to get unfat?Rather than aiming for being perfect, just aim to be little bit better today than you were yesterday.We can reverse years of damage to our bodies by deciding to raise our standards for ourselves, then living differently. Old wounds heal, injuries repair, and the whole system improves with just a few changes in what we put into our bodies and how we move them.

Discipline is remembering what you want.You have failed only when you quit trying. Until then, you’re still in the act of progression. So, never quit trying and you’ll never be a failureIf we defend our habits, we have no intentions of quitting themWhen one approach is not working to reach the desired goal, that’s not a reason to abandon the goal. Instead, it is time to devise another approach

Quitting is NOT an option.I can do this…I know I can. It’s just going to take time & patience.“Never give up on a dream just because of the length of time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway.â€Don’t Quit

When you’ve eaten too much and you can’t write it down,
And you feel like the biggest failure in town.
When you want to give up just because you gave in,
and forget all about being healthy and thin.
So What! You went over your points a bit,
It’s your next move that counts…So don’t you quit!
It’s a moment of truth, it’s an attitude change.
It’s learning the skills to get back in your range.
It’s telling yourself, “You’ve done great up till now.
You can take on this challenge and beat it somehow.â€
It’s part of your journey toward reaching your goal.
You’re still gonna make it, just stay in control.
To stumble and fall is not a disgrace,
If you summon the will to get back in the race.
But, often the struggler’s, when loosing their grip,
Just throw in the towel and continue to slip.
And learn too late when the damage is done,
that the race wasn’t over…they still could have won.
Lifestyle change can be awkward and slow,
but facing each challenge will help you grow.
Success is failure turned inside out,
the silver tint in a cloud of doubt.
When you’re pushing to the brink, just refuse to submit,
If you bite it, you write it….But don’t you quit!IF YOU ALWAYS DO WHAT YOU ALWAYS DID….. YOU’LL ALWAYS GET WHAT YOU ALWAYS GOT!!! Pain is just weakness leaving the bodyWhen you stop trying to change others and work on changing yourself, your world changes for the better.Even if you are on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.It’s not enough to know something you must also apply itThe tasty fry, it does not lie, the truth is written on your thigh…..
If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution. ~Author Unknown

You can't lose weight by talking about it. You have to keep your mouth shut. ~Author Unknown

gk

Post by gk » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:34 am

Some good points to remember. Thanks for sharing! Will review this list often. :)

mrsj

Post by mrsj » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:16 am

This should be a sticky! Pleeeeeeease? Very motivational and oh, so true!

I just found this beautiful post. I'll be reading it every day and if it gets too far down on the page, bumping it.

Thanks so much for sharing, SavvyV.
Nothing is impossible-only improbable.