JEAN'S 2012 Check In

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:57 am

I have been technically compliant on Thursday and Friday but exercise was the minimum and food was the maximum. I went to the doctor and got some meds to help with sinus infection and bronchitis and am just trying to get through each day. Doing a run Sunday. I hope?
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:32 am

We travelled today and ate a generous meal at a yummy diner. However, there were no S's until I got the devils food cake to go. Minimal exercise too, just a little walking. Still fighting the sinuses and bronchitis but feeling confident that I can do the 5K just fine tomorrow, glad I did not sign up for the half!
Maintenance is progress.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:37 pm

I have failed to login this past week due to extra sleeping. It takes awhile to get over bronchitis and a sinus infection. It is so exhausting. I did the 5K on Sunday. It took longer than I wanted (just under 35 m.), but that was good enough considering I was sick. Since then I have stuck with 1.5 to 2.5 miles walking each day. I was vanilla no S compliant until last night when I went crazy on some ice cream. That is when I realized I needed to start checking in again.
Maintenance is progress.

tobiasmom

Hey

Post by tobiasmom » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:44 pm

Im sorry you have been sick. Hopefully you are close to getting over it now! Great job on the 5K!!

gk

Post by gk » Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:55 am

Hello - I'm back! Just popping in to say hi and to see how you're doing. Sorry to hear you've been sick. I hope you are feeling better.

By the way - doing a 5K while you're sick? Now that's dedication! Great job keeping up with the exercise. :)

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:39 am

Thanks gk and Tobiasmom! I noticed you were back gk and it is good to see you posting!

Our whole family went away for the weekend with the run as the main reason for the trip so it was hard not to go ahead and do it! Everyone but me did the half marathon. I had planned on doing the half but some life events got in the way of training and I opted for the 5k. I was really glad I made that choice after getting sick!

I am feeling better but had 2 reds this week and am feeling rather bloated. To Tobiasmom, I cannot imagine trying to stick to good habits during pregnancy since I used that as an excuse o eat more!
Maintenance is progress.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:56 am

It has been a crazy busy family oriented weekend with way too much food involved. It is good that tomorrow is Monday!
Maintenance is progress.

Sweetness
Location: Fall and winters in Cuernavaca, Morelos Mexico and summers in St Paul, Minnesota

Post by Sweetness » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Jean,
Good to see you are still here and posting. Hope you're feeling better.

I'm back and starting a 21 day challenge tomorrow. I need accountability and encouragement. :roll:
Patty

Anxiety in a person's heart weighs him down, but an encouraging word brings him joy. (Proverbs 12:25 NET)
I'm a glutton for encouragement.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:18 pm

Hi sweetness. I just read your posts. It looks like you are doing well.

I decided to pretty much take November off from my regular routine. Life has had a few bumps the past several months and both my personal and professional life have been hectic and challenging. I took 3 weeks off in November and travelled and then was home for Thanksgiving week. I stuck to a 3 a day meal pattern on vacation but allowed sweets; however, Thanksgiving week with family was a food blowout. I have learned after almost 2 years of No S that family gatherings are the biggest danger time for me because all of my favorite foods are there. Thanksgiving is one of the biggest problems because it is a 4 day weekend. I have a hard time getting back on track after multiple days of food. I have a hard time being moderate during these times.

I am almost at the end of year 2. I lost 45 lbs in year 1. I am maintaining that loss but will probably finish out the year with little if any additional loss. I am okay with that. In fact I am ecstatic to realize that I have maintained a 45 lb loss for almost a year.

Another key to success is that I am maintaining my exercise.
Maintenance is progress.

freegirl

Post by freegirl » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:45 pm

I think that maintaining a 45 lbs loss in the second year is a BIG SUCCESS! Congratulations!
51 year old female
New start Oct 20, 2014
Ht. 175 cm (5'9")
SW 98 kg (216 lbs)

Sweetness
Location: Fall and winters in Cuernavaca, Morelos Mexico and summers in St Paul, Minnesota

Post by Sweetness » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:42 pm

r.jean wrote:Hi sweetness. I just read your posts. It looks like you are doing well.
I am almost at the end of year 2. I lost 45 lbs in year 1. I am maintaining that loss but will probably finish out the year with little if any additional loss. I am okay with that. In fact I am ecstatic to realize that I have maintained a 45 lb loss for almost a year.

You should be ecstatic !
I'm hoping that the exercise will be key to losing for me.
Here's to a sane holiday season! 8)
Patty

Anxiety in a person's heart weighs him down, but an encouraging word brings him joy. (Proverbs 12:25 NET)

gk

Post by gk » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:12 am

r.jean wrote:I am almost at the end of year 2. I lost 45 lbs in year 1. I am maintaining that loss but will probably finish out the year with little if any additional loss. I am okay with that. In fact I am ecstatic to realize that I have maintained a 45 lb loss for almost a year.

WOW! Congrats! What a major accomplishment! I've just discovered how fun exercise can be with the new classes I've started taking at the YMCA. I hope to be as consistent with them as you have been. Encouraging to see your maintenance - thanks for posting! Keep up the great work! :)

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:22 am

Today is my 2 year anniversary for No S, and I am going to celebrate by recommitting to the system. I have been very lazy the last 2 months. I have not been posting and have not been doing my habitcal. I am afraid to get near a scale after a month of frequent overeating. I actually have avoided the scale for almost 6 months but know from occasional steps on that I have been maintaining my loss from last year. However, I can feel in my clothes that I am at risk of packing the pounds back on if I do not get back with the system.

I am retiring at the end of the month. This means that I am being treated regularly to lunch out with different friends and colleagues. In addition, there are the official celebrations and the normal holiday stuff going on! My goal is to get through the next 11 days of 2013 with structure and discipline. This does not mean deprivation with No S; it just means getting back to good habits. My official weigh-ins are on the first of the month, and the goal for 2012 is maintenance of the 2011 loss. In 2013, I would like to finish off what I started and lose the rest of my extra weight.
Maintenance is progress.

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:44 pm

Welcome back to the boards, I'm sure you will do fine, you have a good plan! :mrgreen:
Patty

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:08 pm

I pretty much quit my daily check in, but I am still hanging around. I read posts and sometimes comment and I am starting year 3 of No S. I concentrated on maintenance during a stressful 2012, but now I really want to start thinking about losing the last 25 lbs. I received a ring this Christmas that was engraved with the saying "The journey is the reward.". I called this last 2 years my no S journey in my testimonials, and it struck me that this saying was very true for me in 2012. The journey is the reward. I have conquered disordered eating. I need to moderate my food choices a bit and I will conquer the last 25 lbs.

I was given a nice calendar/journal for 2013 that allows me to log my exercise and do a quick daily check in so I do not feel compelled to write daily here. Maybe I will try for once a month. I am keeping up with my habit cal again after falling off in Nov and Dec. Looking forward to another year of reading about everyone's journey! It helps to keep me going.
Maintenance is progress.

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:46 am

Nice to see you here, Rjean! And congratulations on the retirement!

I too have started back with the HabitCal but not daily check-ins yet - I'll be coming up on one year with No-S on April 1st and I'd like to finish off with something to be proud of in my first year.

I think you are rightfully proud of your accomplishments in your two years - and I wish you all the best with your goal for 2013. I'll be rooting for you!

r.jean

!

Post by r.jean » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:35 pm

Thanks Amy! Good to see you back. I am starting a new thread for 2013.
Maintenance is progress.

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:28 am

I did the same thing - I'll look for your new thread!