lbb's official daily check-in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:28 pm

Weighed myself today. Just sporadically this morning. I'm not giving it value, just was curious.

I look fine, some of my pants are tighter for sure.

I have probably gained muscle these last few months, too.
I re-started NO-S in March. And did really well in the beginning with about 2 weeks all Vanilla compliant. Big S days, but nothing too crazy.
Then the over-the-top-ness and bingeing began.
And kinda caught up to me.
I'm evaluating what my goal overall in this whole process is, and it's not to get back to 120. Though I feel best there.
But my goal is good habits.

Plain and simple.
I have most of them down: eat 3 good solid healthy meals, no snacks, and no seconds.

In "Mindless Eating", it says to focus on ONLY THREE THINGS to change and at the end of the day, check it off. Like No-S's, small things you can get green on.

Here are my rough spots where I will be working on:

1) Not cleaning up my kids' plates. Ever. I deserve better, not sloppy seconds. I only do it at dinner, I've found, because we are all eating the same stuff, usually.
So, I'll get a mental "check" if I don't.

Last night, I had success. They had pizza and I really wanted their crusts. So instead I had a piece of pizza myself with its crust and threw their's away. In the book "Mindless Eating", it focuses on SMALL CHANGES, as little as only 100 calorie differences/day in making LASTING changes. I thought, "okay one or two crusts would be THAT 100 calories". It's good for me to think THAT small. Just small little nibbles that add up over time. Even years.

2) Parties/Shower/Tables with food.
These have ALWAYS given me anxiety, and if possible, and it's not a sit-down affair, I'd prefer to just NOT eat. Usually the food is better that I can make anyways. Virtual plating and eating from a table is so rough.
So, if in that situation and I must eat, I will get a plate, sit down and REALLY enjoy it, and the situation around me. Not nibble at the table or grab a handful here and there.

3) Post-dinner treat urges. I am not going to push this away folks. If there is something offered or around and I want it, I will have it. But NO BINGEING. Overall, one and done. If I can train myself to enjoy a dessert without the what-the-heck syndrome, I'll be happy. I know many people disagree, but for the most part of my healthier eating life, I was able to have a small bowl of frozen yogurt post-dinner, two cookies, a couple chocolates, etc. that did NOT add up over time. Just fit into my life with my daily exercise and healthier meals. I'm happy doing that. I stick to the same old same old oats, protein salad and varied dinner daily, with one dessert. THis isn't set in stone, as there have been a few days this week I DIDN'T have any treat and was fine. I'm just saying I"m aiming to not have it, but if it arises I can avoid bingeing without the restricting mentality.
But as long as there is NO GUILT AND FAILURE AND "What the heck" attached, then I have succeeded.

What has been bringing my weight up is bingeing.That's it. Bingeing comes from beating myself up and going into "automatic brain mode" once I have said, "you failed, Liz!". So to change that brain pattern, if I have had a treat, I'm enjoying it and changing the brain process into "this is fine, this is allowed, enjoy!". And done.

Okay this is a novel and I've got to get out on my run before all kids are awake!
Thanks for the sounding board. Xo
Liz

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:37 pm

Mindless Eating did one great thing for me, even though so much of it wouldn't have made any difference for me before No S. I mean, if I could put some M & M's in a little bowl and eat them without going back to finish the big package I bought, everything would be fine!

But for years I kept wanting to adhere to that idea from many books on overcoming overeating that we need and should be able to have way more of our binge foods around than we could ever eat as a way of making us actually CHOOSE to eat less of it. That if we got over the feeling that there was never enough, we'd eat a modest amount. Wansink blew that idea out of the waters. Most humans eat more in the presence of more food, especially if they have no way of getting a visual sense of what they have already eaten. Even thin ones. I still sometimes have sweets around. There's the end of some cake and half a chocolate bar in the freezer now, but I'm more judicious about what I have around. I don't have the need to challenge myself about it anymore.

Have a wonderful day with your boys!
Last edited by oolala53 on Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:29 pm

You nailed it, oolala. The little from that book that I'm taking home is mainly to make it easier on myself by having less in the house. Proximity of food DOES matter.
I used to buy Costco sized M&M bags to be cost-effective, make cookies every week and have to ration and portion out enough for myself....always leading to over-doing it.
Now I don't keep ANY treats in the house unless I would not kill myself about eating ALL of it. Or, I can drive in the car, buy something and come back.
Like last night's chocolate: they had dove chocolates at this BBQ, I took home a few, and ate them.
My family will benefit long-run from no major treats in the house (popsicles are the staple since I don't like them).
I have anxiety about visiting family in July. I am one of 8 kids and we have HUGE get togethers all month. Mormons do desserts. Without alcohol, they go big on food...quantities too. :)
So, I'm hoping to gear up for that time...starting 4th of July.
LESS selection also helps, too. At these parties of my family there are usually like 4 different desserts. I want to change that, though. It's excess. We could all def could scale down the sweets.
Okay off for the day! Have a wonderful weekend, oolala!
Liz

MJ7910

Post by MJ7910 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:49 am

wow there is a lot of great advice here. i am glad you did well, liz, good for you! i had a few good days and it's all about NOT binging for me too! no matter what i eat, if i can stop myself, it can work. just walk away when you feel those binge thoughts coming on. i like the idea of the buffalo and leading it away, totally applies for me. so i'm with you on this no binge thing. i would feel great even if i didn't eat that great, if i could stop the binges.
Current BMI: 22.9. Height: 5'4.5"
Highest BMI: 25.5 in August 2011.
Lowest adult BMI: 20.8 in February 2012.

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:02 am

No binge.
Didn't eat off boys' plates. Not a lick.
Yes, to sweets.

Ate breakfast out of hunger (oatmeal) post run.
Ate lunch out of lots of hunger (chicken, veggie, cottage cheese, feta salad).
Went out to dinner (8pm) to a fantastic fresh-mex place. Was starving. Held off on ANY chips and salsa for my veggie ancho-cream burrito. It was to die for and tasted even better being hungry. SO worth it. I didn't eat the side of rice, but I did have the refried beans.
IN the past, I would have ordered the salad and snitched my kids/husband's food. But tonight I enjoyed my own and nothing else. Felt good.
The waiter surprised us with a FREE dessert. They had a new menu item. It was a coconut flan thing that was to die for. My husband hates coconut. And I ate the entire thing.
The boys' meals had ice cream brought out.

Yes, I had too much.
Yes, when it's free it tastes better.
No, I'm not beating myself up about it.
I ate nothing more after dinner.
It's not everyday we eat out...and get free desserts.
Considered a success today.
Mainly cuz' my mind was in a good positive and forgiving spot.
Oh and it didn't hurt that I really enjoyed friends and family time. :)
Liz

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:27 am

Way to go!!! That is success, definitely! No guilt and no telling yourself you failed...awesome!

I was just re-reading the No S book last night to refresh myself for the coming week and it struck me again how important it is to be focused on the habits. And, I think, in many cases, to be absolutely clear about what habits we are trying to cultivate. In your case, the habit you are trying to cultivate is being able to have a dessert when it's on offer without going into WTH mode afterwards (which is triggered by the feeling of having failed). And I think you have figured out how you need to do it - good job!

Enjoy your Sunday!

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:55 pm

Before I return my "Willpower" book to the library, I wanted jot down a few favorite quotes:
"The best way to reduce stress in your life is to stop screwing up. That means setting up your life so that you have a realistic chance to succeed. Successful people don't use their willpower as a last-ditch defense to stop themselves from disaster, at least not as a regular strategy...."
"Self-control is supposedly for resisting desires, so why are the people with more self-control not using it more often? But then an explanation emerged: These people have less need to use willpower because they're beset by fewer temptations and inner conflicts. They're better at arranging their lives so that they avoid problem situations."

I like this because I realize the more clear-cut and automatic I make good habits, the easier it is in the long-run. I have more self-control in areas like parenting, exercise, sleep, etc.

"It takes willpower to turn down dessert, but apparently it's less stressful on the mind to say "Later" rather than "Never". In the long run you end up wanting less and also consuming less."

"...delaying the gratification of creme bruelee or molten chocolate cake gives time to enjoy the anticipation. As a result of that advance pleasure, when you ultimately do indulge, you may find less of a need to binge and more of an inclination to eat moderately. In contrast, when you swear off something altogether and then finally give in, you say, "What the hell" and gorge yourself."
"So when it comes to food, never say never. When the dessert cart arrives, don't gaze longingly at forbidden treats, Vow that you will eat all of them sooner or later, but just not tonight. IN the spirit of Scarlett O'Hara, tell yourself: Tomorrow is another taste."

Sounds a bit like No-S, eh? :wink:
Liz

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:58 pm

Forty years of overdoing it finally let me see that I had had plenty of sweets and overeating, so when more opportunities came, it was easier to say no. And I knew I could have some later. Yes, delay is better than swearing off, at least in my life.

Good job at dinner! I think after awhile you'll get from experience, the fabulous teacher, that the bites and sips you take from from hubby and children are a tradeoff. When you "give them up," you actually gain more pleasure in the long run. That perspective for me has made a huge difference. I saw that I was often giving up the TRUE delightful experience, which was tucking into my meal really ready to enjoy, not dulled one bit by previous food. It's greatly freeing.

Which book on willpower are you reading? I'm reluctant to buy books as I have too many, but my local library has a rather small selection on the topic. Maybe I can recommend it to them to add to the collection. I've read the one by Baumeister, but here people talk about others.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:19 pm

oolala: This is the one by Baumeister & Tierney: Willpower. From the library.
But I also checked out the "Willpower Instinct" which was interesting as well.
I love this stuff. My library has a ton, including that "Mindless Eating", which I may just buy.
Sometimes that becomes a new addiction of mine...reading these books, but it's better than diet books, I feel. I just like learning about the "why" of things, ya know.
Now, to make it apply to my life is the other story! :)
Take care. I'm starving and sooooo tempted to snack right now. My meals are askew. I had oats this morning, a long day at church, and it's 4pm and there is chicken on the grill and sweet potatoes in the oven. I am starving but am sure I can wait.
Went too long between break/lunner. :)
I can make it. #firstworldproblems. LOL
Liz

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:48 am

I have the same thing with the book addiction! I've got the McGonigal book on willpower...so much good information in there. Wish I was better at applying it!

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:28 am

I baked cookies today. Chocolate chip and my best recipe.
Didn't eat the dough at all. Was making them for an event.
But a physical overpowering sensation took over when I was moving them from the pan to the cooling rack. Soft milk chocolate with crisp buttery dough. Oh my. I had just had lunch so this was purely a case of non hunger.
I felt such a tight grip and put one in my mouth. Sooo amazing. Then 2, then 3 then 4.
4 cookies. No binge I left it at that.
And continues on my day though full.
Had a nice dinner and wasn't starving for it, but didn't want to let the cookies have power over me.
Proud I didn't continue to binge.
Not proud that I haven't learned by now that it's literally possible for me to turn down a straight from oven chocolate chip cookie.
I guess I know my weakness!
Liz

Sinnie

Post by Sinnie » Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:25 pm

Good for you Liz! Very proud of you :D

rungirl96

Post by rungirl96 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:59 pm

I wouldn't call giving in to freshly baked chocolate chip cookies from your own oven a weakness, I'd call it normal :D Moderation, good for you!

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:52 pm

Thanks ladies. I do believe tasting also involves smelling and man did they smell good! I know few people who could turn them down!

Still frustrated at my higher weight (mainly by fit of my clothes) but I'm not getting down about it. I've had a good week of non-bingeing, but definitely could cut out some treats.

Working on ENJOYING and SAVORING meals/food more. I get pretty rote on same-old-meals-same-old-rituals, eating at computer, reading, etc.
Which I personally don't think is that bad, but I'm reading from the library "Why French Women don't Get Fat"...
("hi my name is Liz and I have a book addiction).

Anyways, I rarely take PLEASURE in food. See it as a to-do list, or a guilty thing. All those cottage cheese and "eat bacon even though you don't love it but it's Paleo", protein bars years.

It' tough to erase those habits and truly take joy in the process of preparing/eating. It will take time, but I'm working on it.

Still, my main 3 goals:
-3 meals/day sitting down
-if I have a treat, no bingeing by moving on like it didn't happen
-no eating off others' plates

I leave Monday morning for the long 12-hour drive to Utah with my sister and my kids. I'm there a month. I have a little anxiety, okay a lot, about some eating situations.

But I can trust myself if I stick to my outlines. My little sister is an amazing example of listening to her body, only taking a little, etc. I guess you could say she eats like a French Women. So, I'll have to take notes.

Love ya'll and happy weekend!
Liz

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:00 pm

Gotta be honest. Though there was some victory involved, this baking stuff is still rather a muddy issue, no? Likely not to be solved today, though. So what? I'm reading a book on how to "sit with" our ambiguities without necessarily being anxious. I definitely still have ambiguities with food. Maybe that's the way it will always be. I don't have to think of it as a struggle.

Enjoy all your food today, even if no S's appeal.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:44 pm

Remind me where you're driving from? That's a long haul. You're going in one stretch! Ah, youth!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:54 pm

Seattle to SLC baby!
Yes, it's a long-stretch. But by the time you think of staying over-night somewhere, the kids have usually fallen asleep, so it's more the adults who have to gear-up and keep going...
Sleeping in a hotel room with 3 kids vs. powering thru till the end=6's in my book. Power thru it is!

You're right, oolala about the baking trap, however. It's always been muddy. Really the only time I can get away with it is in the morning. If I make stuff early morning, it doesn't tempt me. But my baking has definitely taken a change as I'm just not doing it anymore. As you have said before, there's enough good stuff to buy anyways.

Take care.
Liz

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:00 pm

I forgot you've said before you live in Seattle. Gosh, I love that city! My college friend whom I traveled with to Iran back in 1976 is the head of the U of W language program for non-native English speakers, so I've gotten to visit.

Yes, once kids are asleep, why move 'em? I bet your car is pretty comfortable. Be well!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:11 pm

Seattle IS wonderful and gorgeous and temperate! We love the greenery. But man I have to be honest I'm begging to feel just a little bit warm/hot right now! I know it'll take a bit to adjust to the hot UT temps. The light constant drizzle and temps between 50-70 is nice, but doesn't feel like summer! Aren't you in San Diego? The perfect weathered place?

That's great about your friend! UW is right by our home. We moved here for husband's surgery residency at UW! Great university and love the area!

Yes, comfort is key with the old mini-van. They don't look cool (who cares?), but they sure are CONVENIENT!~

xo
Liz

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:39 am

Liz, I just wanted to wish you a safe trip to Utah and lots of peace of mind around food during your time away... We leave on Thursday and other than the two days for plane travel I am going to do my best to follow Vanilla No-S while on the road and staying with friends and family...I will be thinking of you since we will be in the same boat for much of the month!

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:21 pm

Thank you , Amy, for your sweet words! Enjoy YOUR trip and friends/family!

We are leaving this morning! I couldn't sleep well...when I have to wake early/have a big day in the morning it's tough to turn off my brain!

Things have gone well. My little sister showed up yesterday to drive with me. We talked about eating and my struggles at times (she's aware...)

I asked her for her help. She's soooo good about eating 3 meals, but ONLY stuff she likes. For instance, I noticed after church yesterday, I was making quesadillas with fresh tortillas for the boys and then I was going to make a big salad for myself. But before I made one, I spoiled my appetite by finishing the boys' tortillas (which I REALLY love, actually). I broke one of my rules.
She, on the other hand, would NEVER pick at their plates. She made herself some eggs and scrambled them with cheese, put them in a tortilla, and voila!
Sat down and enjoyed. She eats so slowly, too.

Last night, we got a QUICK bite at the mall. There's this Creperie (the only place open). We got 2 to share...ham/cheese and turkey/cranberry. We had a few bites and though I got full quickly, I was determined to finish them because, heck, we bought them!
But, she ate about half and was done.
We stopped for treats for the car-ride, she bought some black licorice, had a few bites and voila. I said, "okay Jane, I want some chocolate right now but only know how to eat an entire bar"...will you share one?
She did. I'm going to use these 2 weeks (until she leaves) to help me see what "normal" is. Still sticking to basic rules (NO INTUITIVE HAPHAZARD EATING):
3 sit-down meals
No eating/standing/eating from boys plates
No what-the-heck with treats...basically no binge

There will be lots of opps to over-do it. I talked with Jane last night about my anxiety over family parties and food. "What do YOU do, Jane?"
She says she NEVER stands around the appetizer table and nibbles away at things, but makes it part of her DINNER plate. ONe plate! (of course!).
Then with dessert, she also takes ONE plate and gets a little of all that looks awesome, eats slowly and enjoys.
Ideal!

Okay enough rambling. TIme to load up the car. Just had some time to un-wind before this long day ahead!

Take care, friends.
Liz

Sinnie

Post by Sinnie » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:03 pm

Hey Liz,
Just wanted to also wish my cyber-friend a very safe road trip. I think it's so awesome you have a sister to mimic while you are away. It sounds like her eating habits are fantastic. Did she try to create such good habits or one of those naturally thin eaters?
It's amazing how similar we are with our food issues and binging. I sincerely hope it goes well for you this month. I think seeing other people in action around food (whether good or bad) will be a great learning experience.
I, too, have been reading about French women and their diets. Actually, that very concept is what re-introduced full fat food to me years ago. I still revel in the fact that I don't ever (for the most part) pay attention to "healthy" anymore and am solidly 20 lbs less. A lot to learn from those Europeans!! ;)

Have a great trip. Stay safe. Good luck :mrgreen:

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:14 pm

Liz, your sister sounds perfect to be around. Not ruled by the outside circumstances. (Restaurant servings are almost always too big, no? Go ahead and take leftovers with you rather than finish, if you get full, no matter what they are. You can always throw them out later. And a lot of foods keep better than you think.)

I confess that I do eat pizza crust that others leave, but I often do that rather than take another slice.

If they always leave food, why not experiment with serving the boys smaller portions? They can have more, if they're still hungry, right?

No matter what, enjoy your visit!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:33 am

Made it!
TIRED but SAFE and GREEN.
Can't believe it, but I had only 3 meals today.
I just realized I'd feel too disgusting eating crap driving ALL DAY LONG.
Had oats in the car that I had prepared, a shared Wendy's salad and cheese/broccoli potato with my sister for lunch, and a taco salad for dinner.
SUPER filling.
Didn't do any movement so glad I'm not overly sick with sweets!
Take care
Liz

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:52 am

Good job! :D Your sister sounds wonderful - it's great that you can talk about this with her and she is supportive. As well as being a really good example of healthy eating behavior!

I hope everything continues to go well! :mrgreen:

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:15 pm

hi Liz popping in from a long absence to the no s board. glad to see your still here! I hope your time with your family goes well, glad to see you had a safe road trip.
Don't forget to enjoy yourself!!!!!

Jennifer24747

Post by Jennifer24747 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:17 pm

Enjoy your trip!!
Discovered NoS April 25, 2012!
SW: 157
CW: 156
GW: 140-145

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:14 pm

I sure love this wonderful supportive board and checking in here and there is such a lift to my spirits!
We are enjoying our time. Chock-full of family and activities and sun and heat and swim (what else is summer about?).
I'm doing well food-wise (well, since my last check in it's been one day).
But yesterday I stuck to 3 meals. Dinner was tricky because my MIL did "build your own pizza" and then we put them on the grill.
Mine kinda burned, so I kinda just ate the rest of my boys (which was good) and I know I shouldn't eat their food, but it was identical to the one I made for myself, un-charred! :)
A little salad and then she made cookies. I actually had one and a half.
I felt not overly full after dinner (kinda a mis-matched meal), but not mentally satisfied. I was soooo tempted to stop on the way back to my Mom's for a treat/ice cream or something but didn't.
I keep trying to envision how I will feel afterwards.
I listed to "Inside out weight loss" podcast a few weeks ago and remember what she says about how this really should feel "effortless" and you should seek pleasure and let your body feel good and enjoy your food. When I'm semi-full, why would I try to SEEK out feeling UBER full?
I have ALWAYS been someone to kinda self-sabotage or be a bit "martyr"-ish...taking the back-seat (literally in the car), saying yes to things I don't want, etc.
And back to my sister:
the answer to one of your questions about has she always been a good eater like this:
yes!
Because, well, it's a bit of her personality. She's the last kid of 8, kinda a princess but in a good way.
She would NEVER settle for less. Esp. with food. She seeks the best of things and is like, "yes I need some ice cream" but "no more" because then I'll feel sick.
It's novel to me, but good modeling.
Right now, for instance, she's making a turkey wrap in the fridge and really taking time to make it yummy. we are off to the pool in a minute but she's thinking ahead for herself to take care of herself.
Good thinking.
Tonight's a HUGE family bbq and we are all actually sleeping at the same cabin. Should be interesting!
We just made the dessert (our assignment). Sugar cookies with cream cheese frosting and red, white, blue sprinkles.
And a chocolate trifle.
I didn't snitch.
Tonight there will be so many people eating, I doubt there's the ability to have more than one serving! haha.
Happy 4th, all and take care!
xo
Liz

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:47 pm

Hey, the issue with the pizza and your boys was just logical. It wasn't like you had your own food and picked at theirs. I'm glad you didn't stop and get a treat, esp. when the meal was so hodge podge. I'm working on not having to feel I got the exact right meal in order to feel I got fed. Thin people make do sometimes. No big deal.

Good job baking and not picking. I don't entertain such fantasies these days.

Did I tell you I went to a party once where the host actually invited people to have chocolate chip cookie dough and most took him up on it? I didn't know people ate dough in front of each other.

I'm sorry to naysay the podcast but I feel anyone saying it should be effortless is putting unnecessary pressure on the situation. (Okay, pressure on me!) If a person has desires to overeat from habit or whatever, it's not effortless to thwart that. It would be effortless if our desire for food just matched our need, but it doesn't, yet. It may never be completely carefree but it can be more carefree. Yes, logically, why should I want more and possibly get too full, but sometimes, I do. In fact, it's logical that I do. It's just a long-time habit that hasn't been erased. Or who knows, maybe there is some key element that will make it all disappear but until that day, here I am. And a little tired of looking.

Anyway, I'm kinda going off here! I would love it if this would all just go away as a concern, though things are much, much better. I'll take this over where I was. Glad you're doing well! I like hearing about all the activities, too.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:25 pm

The holiday went surprisingly well considering I was surrounded by food for the last two days and a lot of it. There are eight kids in my family, all married, 30 grandkids and my parents all up at two cabins for 2 days. SOO fun and action packed and loud and crazy and awesome.
But ya, it was meal after meal. Thankfully, we eat pretty healthy, but have kids and men and we like to cook.
So I must say I think I came out pretty well considering my circumstances.
On the 4th, I attended a pancake breakfast. But I never do well with the stand around, socializing, eating pancakes thing.
So before-hand i had my usual oats. It's just easier. They are fulfilling I feel better than a simple carb with lots of syrup.
We went swimming and I ordered a turkey wrap and salad. Then that night was our huge BBQ. We had chicken, steak, and salmon on the BBQ, grilled veggies, corn on the cob, bread, 2 salads, fruit and appetizers.
I just got one plate. A little of each thing. There were so many options and SO good. nothing too fatty, just lots of food. So a little of each went a long way.
I did have one extra roll (they were those pretzel rolls from Costco). So yummy.
Then later we did dessert before fireworks. There was the large sugar cookie/cake thing we made with berries as a flag, my sister made a vanilla cake, and then there were s'mores.
I had one of each thing, but most of it was ALL gone (with that many little kids and people the desserts flew away!).
So I had no option for more.
Not beating myself or putting too limits on myself is key because later that night, about 10pm, we set up an outdoor projector/movie to watch on the lawn. My sister-in-law (who is the candy queen, but TINY and I swear that's all she eats) brought out tons of swedish fist, mike n'ikes, etc.
I didn't have ANY!
I just thought: okay, I feel decent right now, so I'm not going to ruin that good feeling. Plus, candy is a binge food for me. I never feel fulfillled by it and it's empty. Now dark chocolate and nice cakes, homemade cookies are a different story.
So that was good. Plus, I got very little sleep and if I had added tons of crap food then I would have felt even worse the next morning!
Okay so the 5th of July: my dad's birthday still at the cabin.
We woke up early to take some of the kids to play golf (just hit around).
We came home and started on breakfast. We baked up the frozen Rhode's sweet rolls, did pancakes on the grill, tons of fruit, and bacon.
Now this is where I am weird and call me crazy: but breakfast like that still aren't my forte. I just don't like starting my day with tons of sweets and I was worried about portions, etc.
So I didn't eat it. I was consumed enough with feeding my 3 little boys and cutting their food, and flipping flapjacks and cleaning, that I just let the food not hit my mouth.
I did have a protein bar. Not like that's great. I didn't get all weird and eat it in front of people. Just slyly had it. I hate when people are like, "I don't eat this stuff" and they eat something else. It's just such not a relaxing setting to enjoy breakfast. It's kinda a free-for-all. So I thought: I don't think I can handle it. I'll play offense and just have a protein bar and be good.
Later that day, we went to this gourmet grocery store and they had a killer salad bar. We all got salads and ordered some pizzas for the kids/men. My mom bought a huge bag of kettle corn and while waiting for the pizzas to be done, she passed around the bag and I had a few handfuls. I chocked it up to part of my lunch. :)
We went home and ate our salads.
Lunch, done.
Later that afternoon I was kinda caught off guard. I took a nap with my 2 year old and walked downstairs to see everyone singing to my Dad (he turned 72) with 2 birthday cakes. Not just grocery store sheet cakes, either. These 2 fine bakery cakes. One chocolate almond. The other chocolate mint. SO good. My mom handed me a plate right when I woke up.
I was sorta like: wait, I need REAL food before I have a plate of cake, but this is social eating.
So I had both SMALL slices and that was that.
But thereafter I was like, "okay I need some real food".
I kinda foraged the kitchen and ate 2 rolls, 2 pieces of pizza, and some grapes.
It wasn't a binge, but not necessarily controlled or "proper" anyways. But I didn't then dive into more cake or anything.
The advantages of having tons of people around.
Seriously that is the key for me. It would be weird for me to rampage the kitchen, so I'm learning to be moderate with others.
That was an early "dinner" (if you call it that).
We drove home to my parent's house that night.
My sister made herself some turkey hummus wrap and I could have at 9pm, like her, but didn't feel MAJOR hunger pangs, just minor and decided to go to bed.
SO glad I did because I felt lots better in the morning.
Now I'm glad for less huge parties full of sugar.
Had a big long walk with my mom/sister today and a bowl of oats.
Will eat a turkey wrap/salad at the pool, and we're grabbing dinner at "The Dodo" tonight. I LOVE their turkey bbq sandwich/salad.
My parents always order the caramel coffee cake to share. I'll prob have a couple bites. I guess that's moderate.
This is good "practice". I worry about being home at the end of the month, but think I'm learning lots about not thinking about food, filling my life with other things, and enjoying treats in moderation.
So that's something, right?
xo
Liz

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:07 pm

Yes, that's something! Big something!

I think it's interesting to note that before you went away, you were worrying about being with your family and being around food all the time. Now you're worrying about being back home. Ha! I think you're really narrowing in on the most egregious element of the habit, but I think you were seeing that before. It's really when we're alone that there's the biggest issue. There are no other bars to the behavior and MANY stimuli. With people, there are stimuli AND deterrents, but as we grow stronger, the deterrents outweigh the stimuli, as well as having the fun and togetherness help the balance.

Most people are more likely to overeat in company. I think bingers are the exception, at least in my experience. Or actually, I may overeat a bit more than I would having a meal at home, but it's normally a celebration anyway. But I won't sit and down half a cake in front of others, whereas some relatively thin people without a real problem might eat a lot in front of others and not feel apologetic.

Well, this sounds like a great month in many ways!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:08 am

What a wise post, oolala.
You're right about noting that problems arise when we are alone: "you are only as sick as your secrets!".
And yes, quite ironic that I'm pretty confident here with family but worry about going home. I think that worry is more stemming from not only food but associated with loneliness, even though I have a fabulous (yet working lots) husband and wonderful kids. Just the comparison to here is so different. And that's why we vacation, right? It's not all fun and games and real world isn't awesome.
But it helps me re-evaluate some things. Maybe look into some new things outside my church service and kids and working out to fulfill me.
A hobby, tennis lesson, etc. Something to keep me less rigid.

True what you said about thin people overeating and having no big deal about it. Walking away. But binge-ers eating little or nothing in public and going crazy in private. I have a sister (one of the 6) who rarely eats with us, runs miles and miles, eats carrots and stuff but I often see her sneaking stuff. Who knows what's going on. She's going thru so much right now though (divorce, etc) that I'd never put her in a corner right now about food.

Funny thing: yesterday when my Mom was serving this gorgeous chocolate mint cake, there was about half of it left. A layer cake. Some of my sisters/sis-in-laws were saying, "I'd pay you 1000 dollars to finish the cake". They were all like, "ew!" "gross" "never"!
Inside I thought, wow I'm kinda gross because I could totally see myself finish that cake. Feel disgusting, but I'm sure I've binged like that before.
It made me realize how abnormal my thinking can be. It's really good to pick up on others thoughts to align myself.

Did pretty well today. Just splendid until later tonight but I think I have learned something, which is most important. Had oats for break, a turkey wrap/salad for lunch including a couple chips, spent the day in the heat swimming with kids.
Tonight got dinner with family. Had a blackened chicken salad with balsamic vinagrette, gorgonzola cheese, and veggies. Yum. And I ate the buttery roll, which I really didn't need. Ah well.
Four of us shared a caramel coffee cake that was TO DIE FOR.
I still felt like I needed something chewy/crunchy sweet.
But I didn't need ANYTHING! I broke into old cues when we came home, after a few errands and my sister had a few licorices from the candy jars my mom has sitting on the counters (she always has!). I grabbed a handful of peanut M&M's. An old binge food. Should have known! My sister walked out of the room to watch 20/20 and I had a few more handfuls in old college-Liz-style. Stopped once I felt that familiar younger girl hiding food in my pockets feeling. But I can't say it was easy.
I missed just eating. And overdoing it. Giving allegiance to old binge foods as if they care if they are not being eaten!
I'm fine tonight. Not beating myself up.
But realize the sharing the dessert was fine. Social eating. It would have been WEIRD/AWKWARD to NOT have a few bites.
But the extra bit...never good. Old cues and not savored/enjoyed.
MOving on!
Liz

Jennifer24747

Post by Jennifer24747 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:00 pm

I used to binge on bags of chocolate chips when I was in college. I'd keep them in my room and just sit and grab handful after handful. That's when I started to try to eat "healthy," when I started to measure food, to count calories...and I wondered why I gained weight instead of losing it. Bags of chocolate chips would do that to you, I guess...!

And about the cake thing, where someone dared someone else to eat the rest of it and everyone said, "Gross!"? Well, I don't think you have an abnormal way of thinking by thinking that you could actually eat it. I feel like saying "gross!" is the normal social reaction, because it's not exactly smiled upon to sit down, as a woman, and eat an entire half of a cake. But I bet a lot of those girls were thinking they could eat it.

I would be, but I might be one of those people saying, "Gross!" Depending on who I was with. With family, I'd probably say, "Yeah, I could eat it!" But with friends, I wouldn't. I always eat a lot around my family, but not around my friends...I don't know, it's a comfort thing, I guess.

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:31 pm

Haha, Jennifer. I think I know exactly what you mean. We could all probably polish off some cake or bag of chocolate chips, but not admit it!
I totally know about taking a bag somewhere and not enjoying, but sabotaging yourself and just eating all of it.

THings are going well here. I definitely overate yesterday, not binge at all, but we had a baby blessing here at my Mom's and a huge luncheon/dinner. I had had breakfast and then church and we ate about 2:30, so I was starving.
The good news is that I enjoyed the wonderful food. Just too much. I think that's normal.
There were just so many options. Roasted pork sandwiches on pretzel rolls, a veggie tortellini salad (I made), a green salad, chips and artichoke dip, fruit, baked beans (my fave), corn on cob etc. I did have one appetizer plate, one dinner plate, and one dessert plate.
Too much, but oh well.
Then my family with all 45 of us doesn't just have one dessert. Lemon cake, cheesecake, and ice cream.
I had a little of it all, but was so full I didn't eat the rest of the day at all.
I don't like huge meals, I've decided. They make me sluggish.
Keep it to moderate 3 meals. But I'll call that my S day, anyways.
It's easier, I've decided in a weird way when you are eating out most nights for dinner and sometimes lunch. Because it's a pre-planned out portion, usually exactly what you want, and then you're done.
Sometimes at home, it's harder because YOU control.
I realized the other day when I made myself a salad for lunch how unfulfilled I was. I was trying to be "good", but in the end realized it wasn't really what I wanted.
So I waited till dinner to enjoy something.
Living, learning, etc.
Hope all of you are doing well.
Xo
Liz

gk

Post by gk » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:27 am

Jennifer24747 wrote:I used to binge on bags of chocolate chips when I was in college. I'd keep them in my room and just sit and grab handful after handful. That's when I started to try to eat "healthy," when I started to measure food, to count calories...and I wondered why I gained weight instead of losing it. Bags of chocolate chips would do that to you, I guess...!
Glad to hear I wasn't the only one with that bad habit. I one-upped ya though......I'd take a spoonful of peanut butter and then sprinkle the chocolate chips on top (I mean totally covered it). At first, one spoonful was enough.....then it was two....then....

Needless to say, I no longer keep that in my house! :)
SW (as of 3/25/13): 172 lbs.
CW: 171 lbs.

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:43 am

Just back from a week with my in-laws at their cabin in the mountains. It was so gorgeous, relaxing, yet physical and full of horse-riding, hiking, sleeping, swimming and of course eating.
Cobbler in dutch ovens, late night meals, etc.
I actually was better since I was ALWAYS surrounded by people. I did a fair amount of over-eating good food, but not snacking or bingeing. It's hard to turn down s'mores, fresh dutch oven desserts, etc.

Alas, though, I have some news...I'm pregnant! I feel truly blessed, and am not far along at all.
But wow the nausea has kicked in. It's crazy how I can stare at the fridge and nothing looks good...but then I open the cupboard to Lay's potato chips and want to eat the whole bag.

This No-S is going to be hard for a bit. Meals don't sound very good, but random things are quenching the nausea. It's only been a week, but I think I need a little structure...like "3 feeding times" where I piece a meal on a plate, be it soda crackers, cheese, a little ice cream, and cheezy eggs. (That was tonight's meal).

A new stage but I feel lucky and blessed and will listen to my body for awhile. Intuitive eating is never my strong-point, but I'm closest to it when pregnant.
Liz

gk

Post by gk » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:59 am

Congratuations! Wonderful news! :)

Hope the nausea subsides soon. Not sure what system you have set up (vanilla, etc.), but maybe you could throw in a 4 pm. small snack to help with the queasiness.

Take care! :)
SW (as of 3/25/13): 172 lbs.
CW: 171 lbs.

dmarie710

Post by dmarie710 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:39 am

aww so excited for you Liz. In my experience, don't overthink it. I had to nibble all the time, or I would throw up. this is not the time to be thinking bout structure. One day in particular i remember nothing sounded good, but chocolate covered pretzel's. I had it especially bad in all my pregnancies. I wish the best for you. Exciting times and maybe and girl, but they are both great....:)
Denise
restart No S on 4/1 at 132#
goal is 120-123# doing vanilla NoS with Eat Stop Eat on Monday.

mimi

Post by mimi » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:47 am

Congratulations Liz! So excited for you...maybe this is your little girl?! Take care of yourself and concentrate on keeping the queasiness at bay ...that's most important for the time being. Wonderful news!

Mimi :D
Discovered NoS: April 16, 2007
Restarted once again: July 14, 2011
Quitting is not an option...
If you start to slip, tie a knot and hang on!
Remember that good enough is... good enough.
Strive for progress, not perfection!

Jennifer24747

Post by Jennifer24747 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:07 pm

Yay! Congrats! I agree with Mimi; this is your little girl!! Haha.

Sinnie

Post by Sinnie » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:16 pm

Aww Liz that's amazing news!!! :D So extremely happy and joyful for you. Wishing you the best 9 months. It sounds like you have a very decent grasp of your eating while pregnant. Looking forward to hearing about this next journey xo

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:45 pm

Thank you all SO much for your congratulations! Boy or girl, we'll be excited to have him/her join the fam...complete the fam! :wink:
Of course, a little girl is great, but my boys love their momma and they are pretty darn physically exhuasting, but not so much mentally! :)

I wish I could eat the way I eat when pregnant all the days of my life. I just know it subsides usually after the first trimester and I need more structure.
I am eating about every 3 hours, and it's the sensation of nausea that comes up my throat and the only thing to quench it is putting something in my belly.
So, today, for instance, it was half my oatmeal (I am having a hard time with big servings), a couple hours later some soy chips and gummy peaches (what is it about craving citrus), then a minute ago my body screamed for protein, so I had a turkey hummus wrap.
I feel so out of control. But in a good way, I guess.
Thanks again, all for the love. You are all so sweet.
Liz

BeingGreen

Post by BeingGreen » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:04 am

Just dropped by and saw the wonderful news. Congratulations to you and your husband! Wishing you a happy and healthy pregnancy :D
Brianna

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:53 pm

I don't know how I missed this news! Next year, there'll be a new little face in the family mix! Warmest wishes on that.

In my last year or so on No S, I definitely had some nausea but not from being pregnant. It was the first time I found out how nausea can be quelled by crackers or such. I almost wish I hadn't found out, as before I had just assumed I should ride it out and it was always pretty mild, not like seasickness or something that I would do just about anything to alleviate. but I can see how someone would go for it. And it isn't like you haven't done this before.

Keep up the good work!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:46 am

Thanks oolala. Yes, nausea for me is quenched mainly with simple carbs, like crackers as you mentioned, though those are not the healthiest! :oops:
I usually even out around the second trimester, so I'll just ride this out hoping to just feel good as my goal. Last week in Utah. It's been loads of fun and nice to let my kids get closer to the cousins who they won't see till next summer...
But nice to get back into routine in Seattle....
Liz

tobiasmom

Hey

Post by tobiasmom » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:22 pm

Just wanted to stop by again and say congrats! Sounds like you have a pretty good hold on your eating! I can learn from you.

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:23 pm

Oh my gosh! Liz, congratulations!!! I am so happy for you - and I hope you get over the nausea soon and that everything goes smoothly for this pregnancy. So exciting!

I thought of you when we passed through SLC - we stayed downtown just one night and then had a lovely morning in the city before heading east...visiting Temple Square and doing a bit of shopping.

Take good care of yourself - hoping all goes well!
Hugs

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:59 am

Thanks Amy and all!
Things are going quite well for me. I don't have as little structure as I had initially, but am trying to stay within a small 4-5 meals to keep nausea down.

This is the first pregnancy it's been THAT bad. Where I even have been taking Zofran once in awhile.

It's weird, not like I want to always feel this way, I do feel like I know EXACTLY what I want to eat and then I can just be done with it. I love that feeling. Like this morning I had a baby shower at my house, and couldn't get enough apricots. So weird. But the treats didn't really tempt me.

Just got back from a bbq and the burgers didn't look good, but the bacon for the burgers...yes! And chips/salsa.

So, regardless, I'm not eating well, per se, but I definitely have no "obsession" going on which feels amazing. I also want treats lots less. Bring on the salt.

I think it's good for me to think this way forever, though..."what does my body NEED right now?" and to un-label any food as good/bad/whatever.

I mean, I know I've often tried the intuitive eating to no avail, but with No-S's structure and the no "bad/good food" mentality, I think I can make this life-long.

I can't say that I will keep the weekend treat thing, but more "as it comes".

Well who knows. I think I can't make any "life-long" decisions right now. I'm seeing life thru preggo eyes...life that feels much different. I mean I never would normally nap, dream of bacon, etc. So we'll see where this all goes.

Regardless, I'm rollin' with it... :shock:
Liz

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:02 pm

Yes, this is a different time. One of the lucky things, I think, is that the hottest weather will be over before you're very far into it. We're still having overcast mornings here in S.D. That's usually gone by August. I'm liking it because I'm sensitive to heat, but I fear we'll pay a price later with extra hot Indian summer. Or maybe not. But I don't have any excuse not to get out in the garden today.

Enjoy your Sunday!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:04 am

Glad to hear you're doing well, in spite of the nausea. Having done it before, you have the certainty that it will pass, which probably makes it easier to bear. Keeping my fingers crossed that things continue to go well for you and the baby!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:43 am

How're you feeling, darlin'?
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:11 am

Hi, oolala!
Thanks you so much for checking in with me.
I haven't been on the boards in awhile and was excited to (after I post) check in with everyone.
I'm doing well!
I still feel a little sick here and there and once in awhile need to take a Zofran.
But as far as the mind games and eating goes, I feel quite blessed because it's almost press "restart" on my mind and all the rules and "bad food" and "good foods" and stuff are out of the question.
It's simply "what can my body handle." I'll eat just that and I'm done.
With starting to feel a little better though, I do notice the creeping negative thoughts come back in. Or should I say the "compulsive" thoughts.
Taking a bite of a few pretzels to cure nausea and then feeling like I need to keep going.
But it truly has been nice.
The one thing I wish I could always always always keep, and wish for anyone else is this:
remove the guilt and the beating up of oneself.
I had family visiting last week and we indulged in a lot of sweets and places that I usually struggle at. The donut shop, the bakeries, chips baskets at Mexican restaurants, etc.
Once I just never told myself anything was "bad", it's like it took away the novelty of it.
And if I knew I could have it if I wanted, then I didn't want it as badly. Of course we ALL know this mentally, and it's the premise of "Intuitive Eating."
I'm lucky I feel a little more "intuitive eating-ish" when pregnant than when not. And I'm holding onto it. Knowing (yet hoping not) that it will probably change. But alas I know everything is for a reason and maybe God wanted to "throw me a bone" and help me remember how it feels to really listen to my body. Truly a blessing.
Thanks for checking in.
Best, Liz
Liz

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:51 am

So glad to hear from you, Liz! And really happy to hear things are going well!

I agree with you in the suspicion that things happen for a reason and if your pregnancy is a gift in more ways than one, that's wonderful! Enjoy the feeling of eating without the guilt and recrimination and beating yourself up, and who knows, perhaps you can give birth to more than just a healthy baby, but also to a new way of being yourself around food? Just being open to it makes it possible...

In any case, I wish you the best of luck these next months, that all may go smoothly for you, the baby, and your family! Keep us posted!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:51 am

Glad to know you're basically feeling good!

My school district uses a calendar called a modified traditional. We started this school year on July 23! So we're about a month in. In another month, we'll have two weeks off. It sounds crappy to start in July, but those two weeks end of Sept. and beg. on Oct. are nice
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:38 pm

Hi Liz! I have been avoiding the Internet all summer since I get sucked in and waste so much time. I wanted to say CONGRATULATIONS on you pregnancy!!!! What a wonderful thing, I am so very happy for you!
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139
Willingness without action is fantasy

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:35 pm

Hi No-S pals.
I have been off the grid for awhile now and it's good to check in! I have passed my first trimester and am now at 16 weeks. Feeling a million times better. I don't think I knew how "out of it" I was until I got that energy and lack of nausea again! Hooray.
That being said, the first few months were about survival. I ate whatever whenever to keep from puking and things like chocolate actually didn't sound good (why did that not last?????). It was such a wonderful feeling to feel so in-tune with my body, but not wonderful to have to be so "on" it.
Anyways, I'm back because I need some structure. I'm picking up bad habits that I do not want permanently adopted.
I'm doing fine with my morning oats, and even a decent lunch, but around the 4pm hours, I'll eat a snack, start snacking while making dinner, not be hungry for dinner but finish up my kids' plates, and then dig into other junk later that night. So it's not pretty. And I am not looking to lose weight of course, only gain a healthy amount, but I also want to carry good habits into the HARD stage post-pregnancy...months after the babe is born.
Oh and I must mention I've fallen into the trap in the last few weeks of calorie counting. Not a bad thing, per-se, but it's obsessive and comes back to haunt me in ways like, "oh lunch was only 300 calories so i'll have a 400 calorie treat now"....yadda yadda. Or, I walked for 45 minutes, so I'll have an extra 150 calorie thing. It's exhausting and though it's hard to remove that chip completely from my brain, it's more sane to No-S (my version).
I cook better meals that way, stock my fridge better, and actually save money. We need to cut back anyways since summer was living minute to minute with food...picking up take-out, sandwiches, etc. Because I HATED food sitting around the house. And I am craving cooking again and structure. Maybe it's the fall weather.
So these are my "rules":
3 meals.
break, lunch, dinner
No calorie counting.
No finishing up my kids' plates (give them less to begin with!).
A "treat" at the end of the night. One. I do best with this.
And I don't take "N" days.

The end.
Good to be back and hope you are all doing well!
Liz

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:29 am

Hi Liz!
So good to hear things are going well with your pregnancy - and now you're in the enjoyable part of it - yay!
I've been off the boards pretty much since we got back from our big trip, I just couldn't get back in the groove. But this month feels like a brand new start for me...
Hope all continues to go well with you - sounds very reasonable to plug back into the No-S structure now that you're not dealing with morning sickness anymore.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:42 pm

Hi, Momma!

I think you meant you don't take S days.

Glad you're not having to eat to assuage the nausea monster anymore.

Your plan sounds good. Remember to attack/ignore those thoughts that say that this bite won't hurt, I'll just eat these scraps, etc. It can be SO automatic and make so much sense at the time. I've been wavering since I got back from a vacation that was basically vanilla with no problems. I'm seeing that it just doesn't take much to get back into the old habits, especially if I'm feeling thwarted, as I am now by the heat in San Diego.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Sinnie

Post by Sinnie » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:19 pm

Liz, it sounds like your plan is very reasonable. Glad to hear the nausea is over!!! I totally understand the nightly treat thing. I've tweaked it somewhat for myself (because I was doing that too), check out my update. Are you still working out? Hope to hear from you! Take care xo

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:06 am

Well hello, pals! I don't know what's up, but I haven't gotten my last notes from my board sent to my email. :?
Thanks for your check-ins.
Things are going well. I'm not TOO strict on things, but in a "rhythm" of sorts. I am learning what works best for me...breakfast, lunch, dinner, sometimes an afternoon snack of a piece of fruit, and a small dessert.
I know this is in no way any form of No-S, but we're all trying to find what keeps the binge monsters away. When I'm too restrictive, I go crazy.
In fact, I had a crazy "wake-up-call" about a week and a half ago...I went on a binge like the old days and didn't quite know who I was.
Thankfully, I took it in stride and realized that I needed to tweak something I was doing because I obviously rebelled.
I HAD been counting calories religiously. I was making sure to not eat more than my allotment (plus 300 for pregnancy). But it got too OCD. And I have a slight tendency to do that.
So I threw out the calorie counting and focused instead on the meals.
It's better like that. But man, is this thing always a battle? I wish I could say no.
Yes, Sinnie, I'm still exercising. Not a TON. Just walking a lot, doing Body Pump once/week, and yoga once/week. I feel so much better if I do.
And guess what: we found out on Friday it's another BOY!!! :shock:
I suspected that for sure and though I felt a twinge of sadness that I'll never get a girl, I feel extremely grateful nonetheless. My boys are sweethearts and REALLY fun. They just take boatloads of energy. But what doesn't?
Anyways, hope all ya'll are doing well.
I'll check in on your boards!
xo
Liz

tobiasmom

Hey

Post by tobiasmom » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:53 pm

Yay for boys!! I had a small desire to have a girl too, but at least I know for sure what I'm getting since we have a boy already. I love my two boys!

I am really trying hard to make No-S a strong habit....I'm not perfect, but I'm eating better than last pregnancy for sure!