lbb's official daily check-in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

lbb (Liz)

lbb's official daily check-in

Post by lbb (Liz) » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:50 pm

Hi! I started a post "I'm back". But I want this to be where I officially do my daily check-in (or every couple of days).
Here's a little background:

32-year-old mom of 3 boys. (7.5, 5.5., 2.5).
5'5'', 122 pounds (weighed today)

As far as eating goes, I think I'm addicted to tinkering with my eating and after I did NO-S about a year a half ago, it was SO great, but I thought, "oh I could totally do the "intuitive eating thing" now!

So I did that. Then did PALEO, moreso to curb any sugar cravings.
Which, by the way, I realized I got quite trim doing, along with lots of muscle work, but I don't think I can't eat bread/grains FOREVER!

Then I cut sugar from my diet just before Christmas. Really. Like I had NOOOO sugar (in anything) for about 2 months. Felt good, but actually kinda sluggish. It was HARD!

When I visited family for Christmas, it all came un-raveled (as it normally does when you cut ANYTHING completely out) and I totally had nightly sugar binges.

January and Feb of this year has been yet another "come to Jesus" (or to sanity) moment where I'm trying to get back to what works (mentally) for me. It's a mental game. Not a lose-weight game for me (though a little would be nice).

I pulled out all the old books: When Food is Love, Naturally Thin, Intuitive Eating, Women, Food, God, the Power of Now, etc.

For the past two months I've been trying to grasp at what is my "plan".
"Oh I'm so intuitive!"....and then I'd feel out of control and totally lose it.
Truthfully, those books are great, but I'd get too much "in my head", be confused, give up, etc. Too much info is not always awesome.

So, it was only last week that I thought, "man that N0-S was the best time of my eating."
I dusted off the book, hopped on the boards and felt that peace again.
It's like limits but with freedom. Structure and wiggle room.

I can't say I've been completely "N" lately. As I said in some posts, I've been eating healthy all day and with a dessert at night. And I think that's okay as I had a hard time just jumping in with all "NO-S"s.

I think I need to give that dessert up, though. Esp. after this weekend. I realized I was feeling the obligation in a way to eat a dessert because I could.
Truthfully, I was mentally still counting calories and realized I could "afford" to eat it. Oh darn that calorie counting is such a bugger and hard to give up!

Well, I'm going to try "N" days this week and keep any dessert out of the house.
I'll try to check in on my check-in-board.
Thanks for all your support.
lbb
Liz

Sinnie

Post by Sinnie » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:50 pm

Hey there! Your mod sounds very similar to mine :) I used to do a daily dessert and it really helped me not overeat at meals, because I really looked forward to it (and only had it if I ate to 100% at meals, not more). I got off track but would like to implement that again. I was easily able to maintain 114-115. I started binging but not due to the dessert. But a great mod if it works for you! Good luck!

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:47 pm

Hi, Sinnie!
Thanks for the comment. Ya the daily dessert, if kept under control is a good motivator for me to make all my meals healthy and fulfilling.
What do you mean "ate to 100%"?...just didn't snack and stuff?
We'll try this!
Thanks, Liz
Liz

Sinnie

Post by Sinnie » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:31 pm

Sorry, let me explain! It's a term my slim husband uses. It just means eating to where you are 100% full - no more, no less. He can't imagine overeating because it's unnatural to him, food holds no appeal when he is 100% full. So I try to use that as a guideline at meals.

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:35 am

Sinnie I like that term! I can't say I live it completely, but I would say my 3 meals are that way. Maybe just not the treats!
Great guideline.

Check-in:
Did well with the 3 meals today. Ate great healthy food.
Stressed and overwhelmed and craving sweets post-bedtime.
Had a little plate. Had too much more.

I need to keep it out of the house. No temptations. I can get back to "N" days. I keep trying to fit in the sweets under a low calorie budget just to keep things exciting!

Onward and upward. Will be posting regularly (for my own good) to my blog.
Liz

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:53 pm

2/28/12
Good day. Can't quite say an "N" day, but progress.
Oatmeal for breakfast, about 8:30am
Gym (bodypump, elliptical)
Salad, Toast, Turkey, Yogurt fo lunch, about 1pm
Didn't get home for dinner till about 8pm and starving!
Was thinking MAYBE a mini snack would have been good because I was SO cranky putting my kids to bed.
Had dinner (salad and tortilla)
Then DID have some dark chocolate. While in the bath tub! Is that gross? I think not.
It had been a stressful day and I felt tired.
I found half a Lindt Sea Salt bar and enjoyed it.
DIdn't over-do, but slowly enjoyed it and it really helped me relax.
I know I shouldn't USE food.
BUt I think I get so much anxiety thinking of saving any sweet for the weekend. It's like I think I'll go crazy, so it's better to just have a little each night.
I eventually hope to not need this, but consider today a success only because I stuck to 3 healthy meals and didn't COMPLETELY over-do it with treats.
Just enough to make it feel like a "treat".
Yay.
Liz

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:04 am

Not a wonderful N day. Well, not an N day at all.
Evaluating my goals overall and really, my happiest truly is 3 healthy meals.
No snacks.
No seconds.
No snitching off my kids' plates.
Yes to a dessert AFTER my 3 healthy meals. If I crave it.
Small. Plated. Sit down. No seconds.
But tonight I snitched from my boys' plates. Though I had had 2 healthy meals earlier.
I had one hot cookie from the oven and everything just kinda tail-spinned.
Wrote about it on the blog.
Need to be stricter.
My goal is to be more moderate. And I was just not moderate for the moment.
Liz

Sinnie

Post by Sinnie » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:38 pm

I could have written that myself. In the same boat as you!

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:37 am

trying to evaluate my system of no-s.
i guess you could say i stayed on no-s this weekend considering i did 3 meals day/no snacks, exercised lots, and one dessert.
but tonight. tonight was an exception.
it all started when i was having people over for dinner.
and before they came ( i was starving for dinner...yay), i was cutting the brownies up to serve, and snitched the frosting.
then it was like a little bite here, there, and everywhere.
still ate a normal healthy meal, but wasn't as hungry for it as normal.
so then we served dessert. i had a normal portion, though i didn't need it.
then, they left the house, the boys were running around, and i snitched and snitched and snitched my brownies and their banana cake.
ended up throwing out the banana cake and giving away the brownies because i literally wasn't stopping. not natural.
now i don't mind if i ever see sugar again for awhile.
at this point i could say i'm vanilla no-s this week, but if it so be that i want a little treat post-dinner, then so be it.
but for now i can't imagine another sugary crap down my throat.
go vanilla! wahoo.
Liz

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:42 pm

I've felt hesitant to check-in only because miraculously, I've had two VANILLA (NO mod) days in a row. And can see me keep up this pace until the weekend.
The last couple weeks I've been doing my own version of NO-S: eating 3 meals/day, one dessert at night. That nightly dessert was so tough to give up.
All the while, I was counting calories to make sure that dessert would fit into my diet.
Well I realized that after Sunday I ate more than my share of dessert. I felt very out of control.
And instead of beating myself up, I told myself, "Liz, you can feel this, but let's wait till next Saturday and Sunday to let loose again."
I was realizing I'll probably ALREADY use my Sat/Sun's for special desserts, that I shouldn't have it during the week.
Well, so far I haven't counted a single calorie, but have eaten 3 meals when I've been extremely hungry, exercised, and really really enjoyed those meals. I don't skimp on them, but load them with tons of veggies, meat, cheese, and a little carb. They are so fulfilling. Wow. I'm looking forward to the weekend but am grateful, for now, to not be counting and to not be dependent on the nightly chocolate bar.
Once again, worried about positive reinforcement leading me down the relapse road, but I wanted to note the progress I'm making.
:)
Liz

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:35 pm

I'm still feeling quite hopeful about this NO S thing, but as I said, in doing so, I get nervous about getting cocky.
But to be honest, this has been one of the most peaceful weeks, not because of events outside of my life, but simply because I have followed NO S.
I didn't count calories, let myself get really hungry for 3 meals/day, exercised, and really enjoyed my plates of (lots) of healthy food.
I love salad, veggies, meat, and cheese, and sprouted toasts so that was the majority of my meals. Of course including my morning oats with peanut butter and banana.
Also, my grocery shopping is lots easier because it's like I know exactly what will fulfill me, I know if I'm hungry enough, I don't get wacky cravings, etc.
I'm excited for my first S weekend (officially since I re-started).
My plan is:
still 3 meals/day.
I'm making some chocolate chip cookies (my fave) and buying some vanilla ice cream. I think I'll make myself not get to enjoy them till after dinner...when I like to relax most and when my willpower is lowest.
I have an event to attend, too, where I'll be able to pick at food and not have to worry if it's plated.
I just plan on not going hog-wild, but if I do, I realize that's okay.
Sit down and eat. Breathe deeply, etc.
I'm such a fan of No-S. Nothing is solitary. I have started reading "The Willpower Instinct" that someone recommended and realize how much discipline, even in a silly way, overlaps into the rest of your life.
I've been better about cleaning out closets, cleaning the house, being nicer to the kids, reading books, and exercising. Food doesn't cloud my thoughts as much.
Thanks, No-S.
Liz

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:17 am

I'm putting a cap to another "N" day, but it was different than the rest. I'm proud that I didn't lose it, though.
Breakfast and lunch the same. Worked out for an hour.
Then we went to a "happy hour" party from about 6-8pm.
They just had finger foods. I frankly didn't want ANY, but by 7:30, I had given into a mozzarella ball, a couple chips, and some beans.
Came home still hungry and though i wanted to make myself a proper dinner, I still had to get kids in bed and such.
The leftover pizza we had gotten from the kids was sitting out.
I grabbed some, though cold, and thought, "oh no...".
So, then I just grabbed two slices, heated them up and sad down to eat them.
I just didn't have the energy to do more than that, and that' all from there.
But I'm glad I didn't send myself into a tail-spin.
It IS hard, though, when you are thrown off by parties of something. But that's what's great about NO-S...most of our 'S" events will be on S days.
So I'm trying to plan my day tomorrow food-wise. i don't want to go hog-wild, but to enjoy and reward myself and most important, to let myself be hungry that I TRULY enjoy the treats or snack. I don't want to just over-do it.
I also don't want to eat my "typical" everyday meals (that I usually eat EVERY day). Just to break my routine.
Thinking of doing toast, egg, cheese for breakfast.
Mid-morning: take kids to famous donut shop for a donut. Yum.
Or try the new frozen yogurt shop down the street.
Go out to dinner with husband.
Eat the easter reese egg I have in the cupboard.
I don't know. Just want to savor/enjoy each bit.
Wish me luck!
Liz

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:30 am

First official "N" day done (well, since I've started Vanilla No-S).
It was quite enjoyable. Very stress relieving.
I think just the simple fact that I could eat whatever I wanted when i wanted was so empowering.
I didn't go too crazy, but I tried to make things out of the ordinary.
See, on N days, I pretty much eat the same version of foods. Each meal.
So today I wanted OUT OF THE BOX.
That's what the weekend should be, anyways. A time to break out and relax.
I didn't even work out today, and I ALWAYS work out.
Took the family to the local famous donut shop for breakfast.
Had a lemon old-fashioned for breakfast. SO good and fresh out of the oven. Didn't eat lunch till about 2--a sandwich from a Service Project.
Then finished half a donut of my kid's and a few cadbury eggs.
Dinner time: ordered take-out from a Mexican place with the husband.
Had a taco salad and chips.
After dinner I had reese pb cup.
Felt free, unrestricted, happy and fulfilled, yet also quite relieved to know that on Monday I have an N day.
There is peace in structure! But for now, I'll enjoy this!
No S rocks!
Liz

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:55 am

Yikes! Just finished my second day of No-S "S" day.
It was tougher than my first.
I started with a bowl of oats since we were heading to a long day of church and I needed the energy.
Then, during church I had a few handfuls of Cadbury mini eggs.
Came home, made some lunch of a salad, but snacked on a ton of Pringles.
pringles? I don't even really love them. But I was so repulsing ANYTHING that I eat on the normal N days, that I wouldn't let myself eat the healthy stuff.
Had some more cadbury mini eggs.
Later for dinner, I wasn't hungry when I fed my family.
I realize I really hate eating and figuring out what to eat if I'm NOT HUNGRY!
It's SO hard!
I knew I wanted to eat, esp being an S day, but kept opening the cupboards to no avail.
I didn't truly enjoy food today.
FINISHED the tube of Pringles. GROSS! But I really couldn't think of anything else that sounded good.
Then, I served up our "Sunday dessert" (every Sunday the kids get a scoop of ice cream and brownie).
I of course had plenty of that.
It was good but actually just caused me anxiety and was almost relieved to just be done eating. Like, "okay let me eat a big bowl so I'll be totally stuffed and not wanting to eat anymore."
I'm reading "The Willpower Instinct" and wow it's interesting about desire/happiness. One thing I observed tonight is that the DESIRE for extra food/sweets is almost more fulfilling than the actual reward.
I'm glad today is in the past.
Next time I would have planned things a bit better.
Stuck to my 3 meals, with a planned dessert.
Today felt too scattered and I feel disgusting.
Live and learn.
:?
Liz

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:46 pm

feeling great. had a success yesterday.
b: oats, pb, banana
l: spinach/feta salad, chicken meatballs, sprouted toast, yogurt
d: chicken salad, tortilla, scoop of peanut butter
walked one hour on treadmill.
felt good, but really really was tempted to eat chocolate during bachelor finale.
weird the associations of an activity with food!
i had a diet ginger ale instead.
Liz

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:00 am

"Success" today in a different way.
Break: oats, pb, banana
Yoga class
Lunch: salad, turkey wrap, yogurt
Dinner: I went out with a friend. It was a "small plates" restaurant where you order a few different plates.
They are very small.
I got beef brisket, salad, and brussel sprouts.
And a piece of bread and a few bites of my friends.
It was SO tasty and a VERY nice restaurant and well-done with amazing food.
I feel extremely full (must be the creme fraiche from the brisket!), but glad I enjoyed such a nice meal.
I skipped out on dessert, too.
So I consider this not an "S" event, but just a long, more drawn out dinner.
I'm grateful I felt extremely hungry to enjoy and appreciate this dinner, when in the past, my taste buds almost felt immune to such fine tasting food.
I also get full SO much quicker.
I don't see myself being hungry for breakfast!
We'll see. Off to bed.

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:07 am

FAIL! I'm so mad at myself but I should know myself better.
I'm a bit thrown off with a houseguest. Didn't eat at normal time for dinner.
Made pizzas, kept eating a little from my kids' plates and then we frosted/made these AWESOME almond butter sugar cookies.
I just ate one. I don't know WHY I didn't think that would make me fail.
But then I just kept SHOVELING the heck of them into my mouth...almost to just get er' done.
I know I should have had one, but I think I realized, "oh crap it's a fail day anyways now, I may as well have a bunch".
So, according to negative tracking, I'm embarrassed to say I had about 6 2-inch homemade sugar cookies with cream cheese/almond frosting.
Yes. 6. Maybe even 7. Like I said, I kinda went unconscious.
Usually, this isn't a problem b/c I wouldn't even normally MAKE cookies till' an S day, but because I have my MIL visiting, we decided to do st. patrick's fun cookies.
Sheesh.
Any ideas? I'm SO tempted to NOT take those S days this weekend. Will I regret it?
And to "hold back" tomorrow.
When all ya'll over-do it, do you just jump on the wagon with your 3 meals the next day?
Or hold back?
Advice, much?
Thanks friends. :)

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:39 am

Hope I'm not repeating myself because I'm pretty sure I left a similar message on Sparkpeople but I could have sworn that one was for a woman 51 years old.

Anyway, you do realize that you have absolutely no reason to lose weight or to be worrying about calories. You BMI is 20.5 and you weigh less than 87% of the women of your height and age. Are you thinking you are supposed to look the women in the media who represent about 6% of the population? Those are some tough standards.

Did you know Elizabeth Hurley has been known to say she is embarrassed to be seen at a pool in a bathing suit? Even goddesses can't accept themselves.

However, being slim does not preclude preoccupation with food and such. It would help a lot for you to be able to let this recede into the background, I know. I hope you find the formula soon. The good news is you're doing it here and not on some diet.

I'll come back and get a little more familiar later. Got some papers to grade!
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

dmarie710

Post by dmarie710 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:30 pm

Liz, you should go ahead and enjoy the weekend and not worry about it. Whenever I have a guest staying with me I feel like I'm on vacation mode and indulge a bit more. Think about it this way, you eat really healthy the majority of the time. Forgive yourself and move on, and yes go back to the 3 meals a day.

Denise
Denise
restart No S on 4/1 at 132#
goal is 120-123# doing vanilla NoS with Eat Stop Eat on Monday.

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:24 pm

Thanks Denise! That was super helpful yesterday. Though I didn't feel much hunger-wise, I made myself eat 3 plates yesterday just to continue the habit. That way, I didn't over-do it at a specific time.
Friday:
Oats, pb, half banana
No exercise but zoo walking
Lunch: turkey wrap, yogurt
Dinner: red robin chicken sandwich and sweet potato fries

Today an s day so far feeling good. Had some oats and a sandwich and enjoyed a dark chocolate bar while I got a manicure. I felt lucky to have my MIL in town to help with the boys. Probably going out tonight.
Thanks for the support, all!

It's sanity and peace with food I seek. I don't weigh myself and Am happy with my size.

Hugs

Sweetness
Location: Fall and winters in Cuernavaca, Morelos Mexico and summers in St Paul, Minnesota

Post by Sweetness » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:44 pm

Thanks for your comment on my thread. Hope you're having a great weekend! 8)
Patty

Anxiety in a person's heart weighs him down, but an encouraging word brings him joy. (Proverbs 12:25 NET)
I'm a glutton for encouragement.

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:27 am

S day done and done.
I can't say that I feel quite bloated and gross but I found myself just saying yea to everything today food wise. But tried to stay relaxed and cool about it all. But the lack of structure throws me off. Not feeling hungry ever really today.
The rest of my day continued with some frozen yogurt with the family, sugar cookie, we went out to Mexican good and I got a yummy salad, but came home and had another cookie and Reese pb eggs.
Basically if it was available if eat it.
Planning to be a bit more moderate tomorrow.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:35 pm

During the week, you're riding a bike. On S days, it's more of a unicycly with training wheels (for our purposes, it exists). Even with training wheels, it's going to be weird. Give yourself a few months to get back into it. You made it sound as if S days became easy before. Since then, you've been through some plans that have to be recovered from, physically and psychically. Physically, I think you're doing it. I don't know what the steps are psychically beyond trying to be okay with what it is for now and to keep diverting to other pursuits in life. I know at this point, I can't just forget about food until it's time to plan for or eat a meal. Will that ever happen? It would be nice but I don't want to set myself up with another impossible goal! Not having it as a goal doesn't mean it won't happen.

I'd say you've done darn good for your first three weeks back!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:43 pm

Thanks, again, oolala53 for the wise advice. I like the idea of the training wheels with a unicycle...just plain weird! It's not wrong, per-se, but just plain weird.
My S days have been okay, it's just that I keep saying, "wait, Liz, I can ENJOY this cookie and don't need to shove it in my mouth."
I still have major binge behaviors that click into play on S days, but also feel so much more relaxed with them.

I agree about not being able to just forget about food. It's a goal I have, for sure, as food/body issues have been a part of my life since I was 13, but if it took that long to be ingrained into my life, it might take that long to unravel.

I always think, "am I in a better place than last year?". If the answer is "yes", then I know I'm okay.

Thanks again.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:40 pm

You still have a very good chance at leaving the preoccupation behind at your age. Sometimes I just try to imagine what women thought about a hundred years ago. They may have had worries we didn't. How do people live who don't have something major to worry about? Or maybe they just have interests? I'm not going to figure that one out today.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:11 am

Another "S" day done and done.
I will not make a judgment about it. But will state the facts.
Though it's hard to not feel like it was way over the top.
Oh well.
Makes me grateful for the regular week ahead!
Breakfast: Oats, PB, banana (didn't finish all of it)
Church: 11-2 (had 2 mini reeses from the Bishop's office)
3pm: early dinner/late lunch: salad, a little pasta, asparagus
I threw TJ's cookie dough into the oven for dessert for the fam.
I probably wouldn't have had my MIL not been there.
Had about 3 cookies straight form the oven. I have this weird feeling that I have to just finish them and make everyone finish them and "get rid of them".
A weird closure feeling.
Then I felt this familiar "just blow it all" and I knew I had 2 more Reese eggs in more purse. So I went to my room and ate them. Thinking, "okay now I'm officially done".
That was dumb behavior. Maybe it's not best to buy things ahead of time for an S day?

THEN, even though I thought I was DONE, our neighbors showed up with caramel blondies. Enough for each of us to have one. But my boys didn't like them, so who finished them in order for me to toss the paper plate and "be done"?
Me.
Why do I think I can't just let it sit?
Weirdness.

But since there is failure on an S day, i won't care or beat myself up. But man that's lots o' sugar!

Yay for Monday!

Sweetness
Location: Fall and winters in Cuernavaca, Morelos Mexico and summers in St Paul, Minnesota

Post by Sweetness » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:15 am

Why do we think that eating it is removing the temptation? I've been there, done that...

What I try to do now is wrap it well and put it in the freezer instead. The chocolate cake we had this weekend was from a birthday party on Monday. Seems to work for me, but the fresh baked cookies are a great temptation, not one I submit myself to often.

Well back to sanity tomorrow!
Patty

Anxiety in a person's heart weighs him down, but an encouraging word brings him joy. (Proverbs 12:25 NET)
I'm a glutton for encouragement.

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:40 am

thanks for your comment, Sweetness. That's true. i so think i'm "above" certain temptations, trying to be normal, but I should know better that hot cookies are my biggest weakness.
When in doubt, go without.
I like the idea of quickly wrapping it up for the next week, for kids' lunches, etc.
I should know by now the temptation I'm submitting myself to.
Good luck this week!
Liz

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:03 am

I used to torture myself with having binge foods around because of the intuitive eating programs that recommended having so much of your favorite foods around that you couldn't possibly eat them at one sitting. That did not work to help me limit them. When I read of Brian Wasink's work, I realized even many sane eaters are subject to the problem of proximity.

But eating them not to have them around is not helpful. Don't be afraid not to have foods around until you feel more solid.

Hang in there and keep enjoying your N days, if nothing else! You will get the hang of this.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

KL

Post by KL » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:11 am

Hi lbb - thanks for commenting on my thread. I read your blog even before I started doing a daily check in. Love it. :D

For the past several years, weekends have been sooo challenging for me. Starts with overdoing it on Friday night, which led to restricting Saturday morning, which led to overeating the rest of that day and next. What an ugly cycle. Coupled with lots of exercise to try and work it off - yeah, right :)

What helps me now is to have a "little" structure on S days. I read Reinhard's podcast on this topic - you may find it interesting. I continue to develop the habit of meals but add sweets and maybe have more volume then I would on an N day - so it's not exactly like an N day - but still feels comfortable. I really wanted to stop that driven my knife point feeling when it came to weekends.

Keep posting, your doing awesome :)
"Everything is permissible for me - but not everything is beneficial...I will not be mastered by anything." 1 Cor 6:12

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:20 am

Wow, KL thank you loads for your comment, support, and advice. I so relate to the driven by knife point feeling come weekends. They most definitely should be enjoyed!
I will read and listen to reinhard's podcast about s days gone wild again. I do agree with you that I think I need structure. Like three meals with even 3 treats scattered thru the day. Start with 3, maybe have less in future, maybe more, but plan it out.
One thing I was doing which I won't is this:
I was buying some of my fave "binge treats" for the weekend: Reese, drk chocolate bars, etc. almost worries I wouldn't be able to find it...ya right.
Then even if we had had dessert with friends or at a restaurant, I still felt obligated to those treats at home. After all, I had made a special effort to get them for an S day.
Instead, this weekend I will trust myself that anything I want or crave, I can get. Heck, I'm in the USA! Everything is too accessible. ;)
It will help me with my "finish and get rid of" thoughts. Just to have the appropriate amount of whatever I need.
Thanks again for the tip and I'm cheering you on!
Liz

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:06 am

Oh that finish and get rid of it and start new tomorrow! I used to do that constantly. I agree on the sweets. I do not plan for them, but I allow them on S days if they happen my way and sound good at the time. Same for snacks.

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:51 pm

"I do not plan for them, but I allow them on S days if they happen my way and sound good at the time.". Thanks, r.jean!
Wise words which I will instill this weekend!
Liz

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:00 pm

Not planning for having sweets is a STAGE in this process, at least for me. I am not at the point where I can let the weekend go by without having sweets. I find that they are simply "on my mind," and find it more stressful to try NOT to think about them, though I may try that tactic in the future. I don't believe we are in direct control of what thoughts occur to us. We can only attempt to control how we react to them.

I have not been able yet to impose having the N day structure with just a few extras, though that could work out to happen. It will be more by chance and that's where I am right now. It's fine, though, as it is. It's been changing so I imagine it still will and I have faith that the direction will be positive.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

KL

Post by KL » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:48 pm

Here's the podcast I was referencing:

Episode 40: No Solitary Snacking -- even on S days. It's a different take than Episode 34: S-days Gone Wild. It may make some sense for you.

Ahhh, the ole obligation feeling - get's ya everytime doesn't it. :wink:
"Everything is permissible for me - but not everything is beneficial...I will not be mastered by anything." 1 Cor 6:12

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:44 am

Thanks, oolala53: I do believe that I HAVE to have sweets on the weekend. I guess it's just that I will say, "oh I can buy that _____ or make that ____" this weekend. As opposed to starting to stash aways stuff, ya know?

That obliterates my obligation eating. I have issues (which I guess are mainly good) about being obligated to everything...even my food! :)

It's good that you have recognized your stage and accepted where you are at. There really is no right way to do things!

KL: Thanks for the podcast reference. I'll listen tonight!
Appreciate it.

Take care, all.
Liz

Sinnie

Post by Sinnie » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:53 pm

Finishing sweets so they are gone is something I do all the time. When I stopped and thought about it just now, it's so purely bizarre. If I ate one every day or shoved 5 in my mouth in one evening....is the same thing...I'm still eating it! Glad to see i'm not the only one overcoming this habit :)

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:15 am

had a "fail" today.
click to my blog if you want a full re-cap (or to be bored to tears!).
moving on. but mad that i made the decision to go with my fail and to "do it right".
not an all-out binge, per-se, but still OVER THE TOP and compulsive.
not like, "oh thanks neighbor for these lovely cookies i'll enjoy one with the family."
moreso, oh i'm stressed out and look at that half eaten box of samoas...
you do the math. :)
yikes.
Liz

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:21 am

Only half the box? I would have had you beat many times.

Okay, so you backed the car up and drove it into a pole a few times after you dented it. We've all done it. And we can all learn not to do it, just by not doing it. Inn't that great? No special skill, except in your mind.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:43 am

Thank you kindly oolala.
You have a gift with words and inspiring others. Live that analogy with the car.
Live and learn. Mark it and move on.
Xo
Liz

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:57 am

The car analogy I borrowed from another cleverer No S-er than I, though I can't remember who it was.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:47 am

3/23/12
Fail
Again
3 plates meals
Was making poking chocolate chip muffins with my kids for a church event tomorrow. Licked the beater when putting it away. Yum. Then I ended up cooking 80%of the batter into muffins and licking up the rest. Gross. I really struggle when I bake because I don't feel normal if I'm not snitching. Should have totally stopped but had a few handfuls of trader joes chocolate covered almonds.
Noticed while eating I was not truly enjoying. Didn't feel right.
Do I still have a normal s day?
I may eat the same as an n day, but plan 2 treats or something, nothing in the house.
Falling asleep but need to be less in my head. ;)
Liz

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:24 pm

My structure for my S day today...the first time I've had a plan.
Mainly because I don't like it being totally a free-for-all, and I've had two fails in the last two days, so I'm not feeling totally awesome:
Breakfast: usual oatmeal
Lunch: any sort of yummy sandwich. something DIFFERENT than N days.
Afternoon: go to frozen yogurt store with kids and build our own
Dinner: out with husband
Movie with husband: buy some fun treats and only eat them WITH him. i'm thinking some cadbury eggs, reese eggs. but when it's gone, it's gone.
It's good there's nothing in the house now to tempt me.
Off to enjoy!
Liz

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:14 pm

I'm lucky enough not to need to bake. (No kids.) Sure, I used to like it but I decided long ago that it was too easy to buy baked goods rather than bake at home and be subject to the lure of batter, which was my cocaine. I used to buy cake mixes just to eat the batter. I've put my cooking energy into grains and vegetables that are hard to get. I feel relatively solid with stuff in the house now, but I don't want to go back to baking, except rarely. In my own case, I decided it was a false identity and it's just not worth the battle. And great restaurants might have a fabulous pastry chef, but they are not usually known for that.

I know in an ideal world I could have any food around or cook anything with no worries, but even normal weight people control their environment to some degree.

I caution against cultivating the idea that you need to put the brakes on S days because you had fails. Perspective makes a difference. If you give your subconscious the idea that you are punishing yourself, it will be resentful, most likely. If you try thinking, I'm hungry only for this (whatever it is) or I choose to give myself this because I want it, I'd bet you'll get less backlash later.

Don't forget to savor the movie, too...
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

KL

Post by KL » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:55 am

Good job - how did it go today??

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:36 am

oolala:
I think you hit the nail on the head about baking. I made the realization today that I am not immune to baking on an N day. I really can't resist batter. I think it's strange, actually to not taste the loveliness of baking. So, I'll commit to only S days for baking. Or not at all!
Also, your comment about feeling "solid" about the stuff in the house. Not having any binge foods. So important. I can remember the tiny M&M at the bottom of my purse even.! :)

Today went well! Thanks for your comment and I did not brakes on my S day.
I did, however, not feel OUT OF CONTROL. Definitely enjoyed, but not too crazy.
It helped that it was a SUPER sunny day (in the PNW that is unheard of!) and we worked a lot outside and were pretty busy.
Plans fell through for a date-night, but it was still a fun day with the kids.

Break: usual oats
Cleaned the church building
Mowed the lawn, weeded
Lunch: Chicken salad followed by a handful of dark chocolate almonds
Played outside with kids, park
Went to mall and got dinner at Chipotle
Had the VEGGIE Burrito bowl. I was HUNGRY and it was SO good and yummy.
Then we walked around and got the yummy frozen yogurt+toppings at MENCHIE's. I had tons of samples and yogurt+heath bar, butterfingers on top. SO good.
Later walking through the mall, the kids were playing outside and I saw "Specialties Bakery". I know we had just had yogurt, but they have the most fantastic warm chocolate chip cookies. I bought one. Ate it and enjoyed it.
That ended the S day because there were no treats to come home to.
Thankfully. I think if I had had easter candy or other treats, i would have done the "obligation thing" and finished them off.
Knowing my limits will help me in the long run. Sometimes I just like to believe I'm stronger than I am.
I'm not quite there yet, but at least I realize it!
Very enjoyable day in all areas. Most especially with the family. :)
Liz

KL

Post by KL » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:35 pm

llb - what an awesome S day. Yay for you! :D All about the mindset, isn't it??

Personally I'm not a baker. My friends tease me because one time I made oatmeal raisin cookies with extra virgin olive oil (wanted them vegan and didn't have any other oil around). My one friend, said "oh they taste healthy", the other friend wasn't so kind and spit it out. Oh well. :lol:

But I imagine it would be challenging to bake on an N day. So good that you came up with your own plan of S day baking.

BTW - love, love Chipotle.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:37 pm

Thirty years ago when I was trying to bake "healthy," I took some cookies with me to the office and a colleague asked to try one. She wrinkled up her face and said, "These are horse cookies!" I LOVED that line. That is about what they were worth.

I'm so glad the stuff I said about baking went over okay. Funny, because I did bake a small batch of brownies, and I did overeat them! But not so much of the batter this time. I lost my appetite later and now all I want is savory food. No pancakes for breakfast. Just doesn't sound good.

Have a great S-unday.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

KL

Post by KL » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:49 pm

oolala - horse cookies - gotta love 'em. :lol:

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:17 pm

KL & oolala: Thanks for the comments! "Horse cookies"! LOL. Yes, back in the day I used to "healthify" my baking. But now I'd rather have nothing than a "healthy baked good":). Mentally, I think I would just eat MORE if I thought it was healthy!
I do love to bake for events and family, and think I'm pretty darn good at it, but I think I'll take a backseat, as I said, and save it for S days, if at all.

Okay now for the check-in. I re-read Reinhard's section about S days last night, trying to calm my nerves about the "over-the-top-ness" food I ate yesterday.

There is no way to mess up an S day, I know, so I'm over it. I'm over it. I'm over it. Keep telling myself that!

But this morning, 2 S days, coupled with 2 Fails in a row...equaling Monday, bloated, puffy-eyed, and throwing on my stretch pants!

Sunday was fine in the beginning. It was a stressful day due to some church responsibilities taking me away from about 9:30-2:30.
So, I had oatmeal in the morning and I packed a little lettuce/turkey wrap that I ate about Noon.

Came home and made everyone else sandwiches. I finished the pb/honey of my 2-year-old's.
Nothing in the fridge even looked good. And I didn't have the energy to create something. Should have just walked away....

But I kinda nervously picked at chips/hummus. Had LOTS while I was doing other things. Wasn't stopping to enjoy, but answering some emails I didn't want to get to, etc.

Wasn't hungry, but kept going.
Finally stopped.

We were having 2 couples over for dinner so I finally got to my cooking.

I ended up needing some rosemary and more olive oil for the potatoes last-minute, so ran to Safeway and while there thought, "I need to buy some chocolate because our friend is bringing dessert and what if I don't like the dessert and will want chocolate later on?". Plus, I was craving chocolate that minute!

How messed up is that thinking? But, nonetheless, the "prepared for anything Liz" came out. I'm like that. The "just in case" person. The thinking for the future gal. It's good in some aspects...:)

Of course, I got my ingredients, threw in a Symphony bar, and a bag of Cadbury eggs to put in my easter bowl for our guests. Maybe subconsciously they were for me????
I ate the Symphony bar driving home from the grocery store. It was almost a "jump start" to help me get back into cooking.

I almost pictured this whiny little toddler throwing a fit saying, "please please give me chocolate then I promise I'll stop asking and I'll help you feel less stressed!". So, I threw the "toddler" a bar! Downed it and sure enough the toddler shut up. :) All better.

Anywho, I made a LOVELY dinner and enjoyed it with LOVELY friends of asian flank steak, homemade wheat rolls, salad, roasted potatoes and broccoli. We had a fantastic time and great laughs. Very in-the-moment enjoying food and company during that time.

Of course my friend DID end up bringing a decadent AND chocolate (of course!) dessert. This brownie/whip cream trifle. Oh my. I had a serving of that, and licked my boys' bowls clean, too!

The friends stayed until about 10pm. I had LOADS of dishes to do, my husband had to get started on some work for today. So I turned up the itunes, finished off the half-eaten bowl of cadbury eggs (they acted as "company" while I cleaned the kitchen!) and scrubbed dishes. The candy made the cleaning more fun?

These are just the facts. I'm not making judgment about my S day because I can't mess them up. It's impossible.

But it is clear I have serious patterns with treats soothing and relaxing me. I've used them for a long time to settle down the hyper-anxious toddler!

So right now I'm focusing on my N days this week.
Establishing good habits. I will NOT keep tempting foods at all in the house. I'm not above them!

On this weekend's S days, I will plan them out (like Saturday's S day) and NEVER bring more than a single-serving bag home. (i.e. the bag of cadbury eggs). With my "finish it off" issue, I can't afford to have anything less than a single-serving lying around.
Then it helps me not to abuse quantity food as much but to SAVOR less quality.

That's a habit I'd love to foster...enjoying a LITTLE of something good. I'm all or nothing lately!

Wow this is long but cathartic to write this all out. Onward and upward, friends!
Liz

Crystal

Post by Crystal » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:29 pm

Hi Ibb, Just wanted to thank you for your encouraging words on my weekly check-in thread the other day. Sorry it took my so long to reply. That's neat that your sister lives in Singapore-its really a small world!

I like your blog, and your photo of your peanut butter and banana oatmeal always gets me craving some! Think I will try that for breakfast tomorrow! Have a wonderful week!

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:55 am

Monday: Success, phew!
Felt quite "hungover" this morning and not too hungry today.
Oats, breakfast
flat wrap, chicken salad, lunch
TJ's black bean enchilada/spinach

Dinner was kinda last minute and not too fulfilling, quite frankly. You know how tastes sometimes just don't "do it for ya"?
But it was late and I needed to move on.

Was tempted to reach for more, truthfully, but moved on. Had a Diet Soda and started MAD MEN!

Building habits! Started the 21 days again today. I WILL succeed! Greens all the way, baby.
Liz

KL

Post by KL » Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:02 pm

You go girl :!:

GREEN is such a becoming color. :D

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:03 pm

Tuesday: Success
I felt extremely hungry in the afternoon yesterday and it was really tough to not give in.
I need to learn that on "Body Pump" (weigh lifting) days I feel extra hungry, and to make up for it at lunch.
But I still managed 3 plates.
My dinner plate was enormous. Because I was ravenous.
But then felt slightly sick/full.
Oh well. It's a good lesson that regardless of how hungry I am, maybe I still don't need THAT much.
Good day.
Liz

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:52 am

Wednesday: SUCCESS!
Felt the urge to keep eating post-dinner. Needed something sweet, but had a Diet Sprite instead.
Sometimes even sugarless gum helps.
And of course, getting distracted by something else...
Liz

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:16 pm

Thanks for visiting my check in. You really seem to have a handle on this!
I like your blog.

KL

Post by KL » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:00 pm

Such good GREEN work :!:

I used to exercise at a minimum of an hour a day - usually to compensate for what I had eaten. :lol:

Now it's an hour at the most. When I do for some reason move my bod more than that, I too, need to make meals more substantial. Looks like you've discovered that as well.

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:08 pm

Fail or exempt day? I guess it's a fail....which makes me sad.

Last night I went to "movie night with the girls".
My friend has a big projector and we watched the newest Footloose.
Fun to get away without our kids.

I had eaten dinner pre-party. 3 meals. Done and done.
Wasn't planning on eating any treats.
I've done well ALL week and am determined to 21-day it!

SOOOOO....when I showed up (a tad late), it was dark. My friend handed me a plate with a brownie, chocolate chip cookie, and a little bowl of popcorn.
I politely sat it next to me thinking, "I'll take this home to hubby, or toss it later....".

All my friends munching away. This plate in hand.
I picked up the brownie. Chewy, moist, chocolately. Yum.
Then the cookie. Not the popcorn.
But on the coffee table there were more brownies and cookies.
Arms-length away. It was dark.
I grabbed another brownie and another.
So, that makes 3.
And one more cookie.
And a handful of black licorice (love that stuff).

So yes. This means a FAIL.
But I left and though I felt a bit sick, I also thought, "so what! all my pals were eating stuff. maybe not as much as myself, maybe more. could this be an "exempt" occasion"?

But I didn't plan for it, so no.
Mark it and move on.

I'm calling it a "fail", but next time have learned to come with more ammunition. Maybe not even accept the plate. I just don't like feeling awkward in social situations, ya know?

But this morning I'm back at it. 3 meals. An "N" day for sure.
I have a pattern I've noticed. The last 3 THursdays have been RED.
It was a crazy day yesterday with loads of stress and perhaps the unwinding with friends and movies came in the form of treats. I don't drink at all, so I don't get it from that source.

Breakfast: oats
Body pump class+walk on treadmill.
Again, felt STARVING afterwards. Almost shaky in Target.
But held out till Lunch.
Lunch: Turkey flat-out wrap, salad, yogurt
Dinner (about 7pm): Chicken wrap, salad, yogurt.

I think another thing I've noticed about my N-days, is that I try and stay so simple and eat about the SAME things that I get antsy, perhaps by Thursday for other tastes/textures. But I know the weekend is coming, where we usually eat out, or change things up, so I hold out...
But maybe not.
Maybe on Thursday of next week, I pick up my favorite take-out for dinner or something. Just to help me get to my S day of Saturday.

Thanks for "listening", all. :)
Liz

KL

Post by KL » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:06 pm

Great strategy for next Thursday. Isn't it interesting how habits or patterns form without us even being aware of them?

Good job in getting right back to an N day - yay for you. :D

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:20 pm

Wow, classic. Right on!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:41 am

GREEN!
Hard, but made it through. Easier to FAIL again the next day, but remained distracted and knowing I can eat whatever tomorrow helps!
Liz

CMThib82

Post by CMThib82 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:22 am

So cool to see you do Body Pump. I have been teaching it for over a year now and I love it.

Just a suggestion for the days you take Body Pump. It depletes your glycogen stores BIG time. I would make both breakfast and lunch on those days simpler carbs, like white bread or something that will give you a little more spike. Ignore me if I am being annoying, but what I found was I craved a lot of sugar at first because Body Pump is a different type of workout than a normal weight session. You may even want to make one of the meals bigger, but again.. I am by no means a saint (yesterday was an EPIC fail:oops: ).

Good luck next Thursday!

KL

Post by KL » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:35 pm

Yay, you did it. :D :D

One of my favorite expressions is:

Fail to plan - plan to fail. That may help you when you approach your S days. Just a thought...

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:03 pm

I think it is a mistake to try to eat too simply during the week. I usually have a few entrees that are not homecooked, just to keep me from getting too fussy.

I suggest next time you do to movie night, don't take the plate. Just say something like, "Oh, gosh, too full for that. Maybe later." And get something to drink. Nurse your drink and say nothing else about food to anyone. If the host pushes the food, you can say you're feeling a bit queasy, but can you take something home? Then freeze it. Or don't ask to take anything. Say, no, thanks, I'm good and have a question or comment ready to change the subject. It's not awkward. Skinny people do it all the time. They will not eat if the unconsciously know it's not going to make them feel better to eat.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:10 pm

CMThib82: I LOVE Body Pump. Thanks for the suggestions. I can do a full hour of cardio and not feel the shakes like I do with BP. I've been doing it once/twice week for over a year and it's my fave (coupled with other stuff). I even thought about teaching. Do you love teaching?

I'll try doing some simpler carbs on those days. You're not annoying at all. I LOVE advice. The binge Thursday night may have also been in a response to NEEDING SUGAR!

Thanks, KL: I needed that quote about planning. Just woke up and have a busy activity day ahead, but don't want to just eat whatever so I'm going to take some time to plan something special.
Happy weekend!
Liz

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:16 pm

Thanks, oolala. So wise. I REALLY didn't need to take the plate. I saw one girl who said, "I just ate dinner and am not hungry yet".
I think subconsciously I really WANTED the brownies. But I shoulda know I was going into that situation, called it a special day and allowed myself ONE or something.
Because not doing that, lead to an overboard attack.
Saying "NO" to obligations, friends, etc. is something I'm working on and surprisingly, it carries over to food, too!

I can't eat TOO simply thru the week, too, or I go ballistic. I relate.
Liz

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:03 am

Fun S day.
Didn't go too wild. Was too busy to plan anything too special, so I just was loose about eating a bite here or there of something I wanted to taste, finish my boys' crusts, a handful of chips, and a bit of chocolate.
All coupled with my usual meals.
Busy fun day and didn't feel neurotic.
Liz

KL

Post by KL » Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:05 pm

Yay for being loose, free and fun. The way an S day should be. :)

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:35 am

Good "S" day. A bit over-the-top. If it's in the house, I'll eat it and that's why this weekend has been better than the others. But I had a couple other temptations today only because my boys and I stuffed a few easter eggs with candy. So I munched on some of that, along with other stuff.
But overall I don't care. Ate lots. Enjoyed. WEnt on a REALLY long walk and pushed a double jogger back up the hill sweating bullets.
Took a nap. Enjoyed a Sunday.
But my gut will be ready for structure and some more veggies come tomorrow!
Plus my fridge is empty as ever and needing some re-stock!
Liz

KL

Post by KL » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:53 am

Good job - sounds like you had a relaxed Sunday with some sweetness. :D Yay, for N days to help with the S days :!:

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:24 am

Thanks, KL! Yes, "sweetness" enjoyed for sure.

Had a good green Monday:
B: oats, pb, 1/4 banana
L: flat wrap, turkey hummus cheese, spinach salad
D: broccoli chick casserole mixed in with spinach, sweet potato fries
Didn't finish all Of dinner

Exercise: walking on treadmill and elliptical with friend, 75 min

Getting this habit down.!
Liz

KL

Post by KL » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:22 pm

High ho, high ho, it's off to GREEN land we go! Yay for you. :D :D

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:13 am

Tuesday: Green success
b: oats, pb, banana
l: flat wrap, chicken meatballs, hummus, cheese, spinach salad
d: broccoli chick casserole leftovers (last night, thankfully), toast with cheese, hummus, turkey

REALLY hungry today because of body pump again at the gym. a new release!
worked hard and tried to get plenty of protein today, as it seemed to be what my body craved
almost had a fail. got home late with kids from swim lessons and was spooning up their dinner, almost took some bites before i made MY dinner.
but resisted and LOADED my plate.
my dinner was a bit too much and filling, but i think my tummy just can't take as much food at once.
it doesn't help that i've had a lot of diet soda today. bloated.
that's another addiction i need to tackle. okay, "habit", not "addiction", but nonetheless it has a HOLD ON ME! diet soda addict here.
Liz

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:32 am

Can't take as much food at once? You're welcome!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:43 am

Yes, oolala! Great side affect right! Can't stand as much food!
;)
Liz

KL

Post by KL » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:22 pm

It's amazing all the benefits one gets from just one plate - yay. :)

Hooray for not taking in food before your dinner. No S at its finest.

How 'bout trying a HabitCal (when your're ready) to lower consumption of Diet Soda - just a thought. :wink:

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:12 pm

KL: great thought about the Diet Soda.
I really am a "in the house I have no limit" kind of person.
So, last night I finished off the last of Diet Cokes. No joke, friends. It has become such an addiction to the point of always having to have that, or some sort of Diet drink in my mouth at all times.
This morning.
I had one. I cannot go COLD TURKEY or my headaches will be too bad.
Now there are no more in the fridge.
The times I crave it most are in the late afternoon. When we are ALL tired and hungry and cranky.
I will pick one up at the Quiki mart. And savor it the rest of the night.
I'd like to be WITHOUT d.soda completely, but I think it best if I do "glass ceiling" for awhile to ease the side effects.
One thing at a time!
Liz

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:20 pm

It sounds like your diet soda addiction has as much to do about caffeine as it does about diet soda. I drink only decaf diet sodas like 7 up or root beer. I tried to give them up entirely but decided it was not worth it because I only have 1 or 2 a day (decaffeinated). I do drink 2 cups of coffee in the morning for my caffeine fix, but that is it.

So once again moderation is the key!
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:20 pm

Glass ceiling sounds smart. I used to drink several diet Cokes a day. Now I have a few each month, and normally only in really hot weather, though I have one today because I am stressed out over money, taxes, and work. Choose your poisons.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:32 pm

Yes, like food, I now have USED caffeine and diet drinks. But haven't felt able to tackle that addiction yet.
But I'm ready.
More than anything, I want to WANT it. I feel like it's SO ingrained as a habit for me, to ALWAYS drink it, that it's not special.
The same way I just put off eating lunch and FINALLY had it, it tasted wonderful.
I want my "fix" to be the same. I have a coke zero in the fridge now that I am saving for my 4pm piano lessons/carpools/etc.
Yes, r.jean, it's the caffeine that I love, too. But it's a quick up and down for me!
Liz

KL

Post by KL » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:46 am

I used to be BIG into diet sodas. Remember one time going to a party with a 2 liter of diet 7-up. Drank the whole thing within 2 hours. I was sooo bloated - but felt proud that I hadn't eaten anything. :lol:

I found that diet sodas perpetuated my sweet tooth - rather than curbing my need to eat, I wanted to eat more.

Kicking caffeine can be tough - takes about a week of headaches and then one can be pretty much over the hump. You'll know when you're ready. :)

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:59 pm

Wednesday: Green
B: Oats
L: Spinach salad, black beans, veggies, feta, Flat wrap with turkey, laughing cow cheese, hummus
D: White bean chicken chili. I added a little avocado and fritos. This is a yummy healthy soup (besides what you add). LOVE this recipe.
E: Yoga class

Felt good today, but man I'm battling the caffeine/diet soda addiction. I've realized I cannot go cold turkey!
KL: I totally relate to drinking that much soda at times. It fills up your belly (BLOAT), but you avoid eating.
I think I've enjoyed drinking it between meals. And if I'm NOT drinking it, I'm chewing sugarless gum.
But I remember way back when at The Center for Change (eating disorders clinic) that they made us NOT chew gum, ice, drink loads of water, diet soda, etc. because they are "coping mechanisms", etc.
For now, I'm just limiting and being more "aware" of my intake.
KL: You are right though about the need to eat more sweets. It's like I have a perma sweet taste in my mouth from the soda, and want to appease it.

Today I woke with a KILLER headache and took an Excedrin. I'm not saying I WON'T have a soda today, but will take out the HABIT of just drinking for drinking sake.
Liz

BertinHouston

Post by BertinHouston » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:30 pm

Interesting observations about diet drinks/sodas etc. I wonder if it is ok to drink a lot of caffeine-free herbal tea such as nettle tea or rooibos or ultra low caffeine white tea? Certainly keeps me sane during the day, instead of chewing on something calorific! Congrats on staying on the program as well as you have been lately!

KL

Post by KL » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:04 pm

Bernie -

Drinking between meals is great - as long as it's not sugar-based. As you can see, diet sodas and gum can create problems in and of themselves. Reinhard even says milk is fine if you want/need something to carry you to the next meal.

I drink tea with almond milk and stevia - all herbal-based. Love any kind of rooibos. Caffeine is fine too - some of us (me!!) are very sensitive to it.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:56 pm

I decided to try chewing gum for a bit. It turned into a binge scene. I chewed so much and so long, my jaw hurt! Funny thing is I haven't bought any gum for days and I haven't thought about it. I guess it's run its course. Thank goodness! I've got enough to deal with.

So what coping mechanisms were allowable?
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:05 pm

P.S. Saw your note about vacation. Dovetails with Baumeister says about losing weight. Use limited willpower to implement plans for specific situations.

It's funny because I think of vacations as a way to get away from too much food. I just don't think of the opportunity to overeat as fun anymore, and haven't for a long time. I've spent too many years trying not to overeat. But I find that No S has increased the enjoyment I do get from my meals on vacations. I also don't think of having dessert all the time as fun anymore, either. It often leaves me too full to be comfortable. If I can keep it small, okay. Besides, there are usually so many other things on vacation to "fill me up."

Don't know what you'll decide, but a free for all of all you can eat is probably not going to be what you want.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:28 am

Thanks, all for your comments and helpful suggestions.
Really this is such a wise and informative group.

I will try the tea method. I do love fizz and especially with my allergies starting up, the fizz helps clear my throat/sinuses. WEIRD, huh?

I need to not buy the gum. It's just a "thing" I have. Like after a meal, to pop a piece in my mouth. Total habit.

Oolala: In the Center for Change, they tried to "strip" us of all things we relied on that were "eating disorder-ish" at all. For instance, NO magazines to compare ourselves to, no over-exercising, etc.
As far as coping mechanisms: talking with others, prayer, reading, journaling, walking, nature, art, music....basically life. But really digging deep into our spiritual natures.

I am light years ahead of where I was at that time in my life. I think many thought: you go to a "rehab" place for 2 months for bulimia and the bandaid is on and you are fixed. I gained more skills for my "toolbox", but definitely wasn't CURED.
It basically was INTERVENTION for a time in college where I needed it...
Now, with 3 kids and a whole new life, I barely relate to that girl years ago. But of course there are still lingering food issues.
I am much better, though. Oh so much more improved. Much more honest with myself.

Okay, that was a rant!

Oolala: you are totally right about vacation. I'm going to stick to my 3 meals and possibly a dessert each night because usually our family goes to get ice cream or something.
I also remember vacations almost being less stressful because we make a point to eat out. So the enjoyment of food is high and it's pretty reliable to eat 3/day.
It's just the snacks in the house I'll have to limit binge-y foods, which is tough on va-cay.
But no doubt "NO S" I'll stay. It's the ultimate in enjoying food.
Thanks for the reminder.
Liz

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:29 am

Thursday Success!
Was actually quite hungry today, but put off "failing".
Oats, breakfast.
Body Pump class
I seriously was starving by 11am, but put my mind elsewhere and got distracted.
Just loaded up on lunch.
Sprouted bread, hummus, laf cow
Spinach salad with chicken, feta, veggies

Dinner, 8pm
Starving
romaine, black beans, chicken, feta, veggies
Crackers with hummus

I'm seriously amazed. Really am missing "using" food sometimes, though. I'll be honest.
It's easy to "konk out" with food.
I see the husband do that (he's in a stressful residency and often uses treats).
I know it's not great in the long run, but oh so comforting...:)
Liz

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:41 am

That was a rant?

I'm glad the Center seemed to have a beneficial effect. I am afraid that a fair amount of this is relatively intractable for some. I've occasionally checked out the site Something Fishy on eating disorders and it seems so sad that there are women who are still practicing bulimia ten years of more after treatment. But I guess that's not different in certain ways from the really serious overeating some people do for even longer. I don't know what the recidivism rate is for treating binge disorder at a facility.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:26 pm

You are doing great!!!!

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:05 pm

Thanks Snapdragon and oolala!

oolala: You are right. It is SOOO sad the ongoing battle of eating disorders. Most women in the Center with me were "repeats". Their POOR families (and selves!). It's a SELFISH b*tch of a disorder.
Actually, after release, I did some outpatient and there was a support group for "Binge Eaters" that I attended.
Because once you take away the urge to purge, you are left with some frequent binges...hence, the support group at the Center.
Now they even have inpatient treatment for Binge Eating.
It costs an ARM AND A LEG, of course.
Sadly, the Center (it's been about 12 years since I've been there) has really expanded and has a whole new building alongside (for men and women, older and younger).
It's truly sad it's such a problem.
Liz

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:03 am

Friday: Success

This is becoming more habitual, though I won't lie and say it's not tempting to take a bite here/there.
But the longer time goes on, it's less easy to do so.
And, I always think in my head, "is it worth it" and "then what?".
I feel best doing this for now. For now. One day at a time.
Can't say I'm not burned out with the same old foods and totally excited for an S day tomorrow.

Today
Break: usual oats.
They are so comforting and I look forward to eating them each morn, esp. as it's still COLD in the morn.

Lunch: usual spinach, veggies, feta
yogurt
sprouted toast with hummus, turkey, laughing cow

Dinner: My boys had pizza (dad not coming home tonight). SO hard not to finish up their crusts. Who DOESN'T do that? So, I decided to put them on my plate....hahahaha.
So, dinner: romaine, black beans, chicken, veggies, ranch dressing
AND PIZZA CRUSTS!

No exercise today but chasing kids. We dyed easter eggs, did the park, watched my friend's daughter all day, etc.

Good day, but I'm really craving some chocolate right now. Not doing so hot on the soda thing, but aw shucks. I need to get some club soda to get my fizzy fix.

Tomorrow's plan: normal oats in morning.
Easter egg hunt/brunch. I'll choose one taster plate of things that look good to savor. I remember going to this same "hunt" last year and not eating anything b/c I had just gone "PALEO" and had eaten a huge egg/bacon breakfast. Now I'm excited to at least sample some brunch items!

Skip lunch, I'm assuming.

My favorite frozen yogurt.

Out to dinner with family.

Chocolate bar I've been saving from Trader Joe's. Any leftover candy from my kiddos.

:)
Liz

KL

Post by KL » Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:37 pm

Yay, lbb - you're really seeming to get into the groove - awesome for you with pizza crusts and all. :D :D

I never went to treatment - but knew a lot of people in the 12-step meetings who did. Some where helped - others like you said - were repeat offenders. Yes, it is such a selfish disease. But - here we are on the other end - No S'ing and managing one day at a time.

I laughed when I saw the picture on your website of all your books. :) The other day I bought a 7 gallon (I think) plastic storage crate from target and put all my books in them. Filled it up. :lol:

Have a great time on your vaca - it is possible to have fun with a fence around the way you eat - enjoy :!:

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:52 pm

I can't believe my first time visiting your check in page...your website is so cool. I love how you have pictures of the food and the ingredients..some look very yummy..may try them...

I'll have to visit it more often..

Oh my goodness, I have tons of books too, I saw 2 from your pile I have..thousands of books out there I'm sure..oh ya, I do have the Body for Life as well so that makes 3.

But ya know, not for nothing..we always get something useful from them..even if learning healthier fare, won't you agree.

I learned a lot over the years with tibbits here and there...

We are all works in progress. :)
Age 56: SBMI=30.6 (12/1/13) CBMI 28.9 (2/2/14) GBMI-24.8

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:43 pm

Just visited your blogspot. You threw out those books? OMgosh! That is so brave! I actually usually took books our of the library and most were not diet books, though Zone, Volumetrics, 40-30-30, and the Omega Diet all made good impressions on me. I still have Judith Beck's Workbook, Shrink Yourself, one called Retrain YOur Brain, Reshape Your Body, though I haven't read it well, Taming the Diet DRagon, also not read much, and the Chic & Slim books by Anne Barone. Plus No S, of course. I have Beck's laterst one out of the library and it has some new stuff that's actually helped. The ones you kept made sense, though I am still mystified how so many of those authors can sound like they are so casual these days about when and how much to eat. Maybe a few more years into this, but I want the N day structure. And S day freedom.

I have a bunch of pics of my plates in my camera and some I've put up on Spark. I try to have two colors of veggies at lunch and dinner. Just a...habit.

Maybe this whole thing is a habit... I used to ask what would I do if I didn't eat? Now I think what would I think about and do if I didn't do this? I'm hoping when I change my work assignment, more interesting pursuits will seem more possible.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:34 am

Hi, oolala.
I haven't YET thrown them out (they are in my garage for the library/thrifttown). But I just don't need them. I did keep the more mental "diet" books...about the brain and all.
I just can't go back to the others.

I think those authors who have gotten so casual about what they eat maybe are light years ahead of us, or maybe they have never truly struggled with eating the same way. Who knows, right?

Two colors of veggies! That's a good habit to be in!

I'm in the middle of a WILD S day and feeling quite ill.
I wasn't quite prepared for the brunch this morning and nervously ate TONS. Seconds, sweets, etc. etc.
Then nothing the rest of the afternoon until about an hour ago. Not even yummy stuff.
I just have a headache, and lots to prepare for Easter tomorrow so I think i'm postponing by shoving food in my mouth.

Learning it's tough for me to just have NOTHING in my mouth. No water, diet soda, gum, or food. TOday it's been food. Yikes.
i know you can't fail on an S day, but this hasn't been the most enjoyable one!
Oh well. Always tomorrow!
Liz

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:50 am

Hey llb! Happy Easter to you and yours! I'm with you on today (Saturday) as I too have had a pretty heavy S Day. I was - mistakenly - under the impression that because I had allowed myself a daily treat this week that I would have no problem with carrying this through my weekend i.e. S Days. Not so!! Now I have the added 'worry' of having added treats on N Days, wondering if I will be able to revert back (permanently) to N Days again!! However, at least on N Days I had some degree of restraint and organization. I only had the S Days to think about. I've decided therefore to revert back to Vanilla No S since my plan did not work. Who knows? perhaps I will have a moderate Sunday after all (but I wouldn't like to bet on it...) I hope by posting here and continuing to lurk this board that I will get the inspiration I need to get back on board again. Fingers crossed!!
No S-er since December 2009
Streamlined S Days: 6/25/12
SW: 170 /CW: 127
Weight loss to date: 43 lbs

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:15 pm

An extremely wild S day.
But I will not dwell on it other than to say what I learned from it:
In social situations where there is a brunch table, get one plate and done.
I like to be all, "oh it's an S day so I'm going to keep eating and eating cuz' I can."
But look around, Liz. NO ONE (normal eaters) are having really more than what would fit on one plate.
Compulsive self came out. The food was delicious the first time around...:)

I didn't feel hungry at all until about 4. I actually felt quite sluggish which made me sad.
Another bad side affect of eating too much (carbs and sugar). We had a tee ball game and it was a GORGEOUS day outside where I would have benefitted from a walk or something, but instead felt so sleepy!

After 4pm it's quite a blur. We had a "hunt" for the kids. I had handfuls of stuff and then more stuff.
I don't even like jelly beans!

Later that night I realized I needed something substantial, though my tummy was full. Husband picked up Chipotle veggie bowl.

But then that little voice in my head says, "it's an S day". And though I had had PLENTY (and then some), I KNEW what was available (case for not keeping crap in the house).

So post-dinner, I had some frozen cookie dough, a Reese egg, and a couple squares of dark chocolate.

I'm realizing for myself that I enjoy going out for dessert. Making a dessert and enjoying it.
But it's the candy/chocolate bar thing...unless there's only one allowed in the house that get me.

I can't just have a little handful of cadbury eggs and be like, "oh that hit the spot".

So in learning this, for today, though I feel nothing like eating, I had a bowl of oats, off to church, will have a plate of lunch, and I'm making dinner for the family.

I'll allow myself one chocolate easter treat tonight. To put a cap on my S day.

This is good learning also for when we leave town next Saturday. My biggest weakness is candy bags in the house (that my parents buy). We'll get dessert somewhere, then come home and have bags of M&Ms, twizzlers, etc. For snacking on. They are thin people, but enjoy a bite here and there. That's when "old Liz", the stuff in my pockets and go upstairs and eat girl comes out.

So I'll try to limit that kind of candy around....

LEARNING!!
Liz

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:13 pm

Your husband has a better chance, possibly, than us, esp. BECAUSE his habits don't mess with his head. I think that's one of the reasons this worked for Reinhard so fast. The guy is so freakin' grounded! ("Eating to quell emotions isn't a good idea. It's a bad idea." That's all it takes not to do it? Aargh!)

But also, men can often lose weight just by cutting out their worst habits. That's partly where I go the idea. They stop drinking beer every night, or eat less bread or something stupidly silly like that and they drop 20 lbs. And they aren't attached to the food in the first place, so it's a rather minor annoyance. I think a lot of men also won't even try something until they're pretty ready.

Anyway, enough of the obsession (for me). Enjoy Easter with your family.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

KL

Post by KL » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:05 am

Oh - the eat girl comes out - gotta love her - especially around your parents. :lol:

It does look like you had a lot of :idea: moments. So, grab onto those. Thank goodness there are more N days than S, huh?

I didn't have the best day myself. Got into the old coming home from vaca - don't want to go to work tomorrow - so I'll munch away and forget about it.